Glowing Lemon Sugar Hand Scrub & 11 Other Ways To Use Lemons!

IMG 5541   Glowing Lemon Sugar Hand Scrub & 11 Other Ways To Use Lemons!

I have a thing for lemons.

It’s pretty rare that I don’t have a couple lurking in the fridge. Lately, I’ve been finding more and more ways to fuel my addiction. Lemons are not only packed with antioxidants and rich in vitamin C, but they are detoxifying for the body and are said to contain cancer fighting compounds. You can read much more about them (along with limes) over at World’s Healthiest Foods.

Today, our mission is to compile the world’s biggest list of the many ways to use lemons. Or at least a long one! I started us off at the bottom of this post, but it’s up to you to add to it if you’d like.

But first, I’m sharing with you one of my all-time favourite ways to use lemons with a couple ingredients you probably have lurking in your pantry. I’ve been making variations of this hand scrub for a couple years now and it never lets me down!

IMG 9212   Glowing Lemon Sugar Hand Scrub & 11 Other Ways To Use Lemons!

My hands (and elbows, feet, knees, etc) can get very dry and this scrub exfoliates and seals in moisture like nothing I have used. I like to keep a jar in the fridge and whip it out a few times a week to give my hands a good scrub. It also makes an amazing facial scrub and body scrub too!

You can make a basic scrub using just a few ingredients. I personally like using:

• 1 part oil
  • 2 parts sugar
  • lemon juice + zest

IMG 9200   Glowing Lemon Sugar Hand Scrub & 11 Other Ways To Use Lemons!

Glowing Lemon Sugar Hand Scrub

Print, Email, or Text this recipe. (update: Sorry guys the recipe isn’t loading in Recipage at the moment!)

Adapted from my previous scrub.

Ingredients:

• 1/3 cup olive oil (or oil of choice)
  • 2/3 cup sugar (see tip)
  • Juice of 1/2 a lemon (about 1.5 tbsp)
  • pinch of two of lemon zest

1. In a jar or small container, stir together the oil, sugar, lemon juice, and zest. Store in the fridge with a lid for maximum freshness. Feel free to use this scrub on your hands, feet, elbows, knees, face, and total body whenever it needs a burst of moisture and shiny glow.

Tips:

The finer the sugar you use, the less rough your scrub will be. I like using a fine white sugar if I’m using it on my face and hands since those parts tend to have thinner, more delicate skin. If I’m making a body scrub, I like using a coarser sugar like brown or turbinado or even coarse sea salt.

If using this on your face, be sure to use a cleanser afterwards to remove the oil.

IMG 9202   Glowing Lemon Sugar Hand Scrub & 11 Other Ways To Use Lemons!

IMG 9201   Glowing Lemon Sugar Hand Scrub & 11 Other Ways To Use Lemons!

You have to try this.

IMG 9209   Glowing Lemon Sugar Hand Scrub & 11 Other Ways To Use Lemons!

Rub it all over your hands and give yourself a good massage!

IMG 9210   Glowing Lemon Sugar Hand Scrub & 11 Other Ways To Use Lemons!

My hands aren’t normally very soft, but this scrub makes them feel like a baby’s bottom! Or maybe even softer…

I used it yesterday morning and I can still feel the difference on my hands this morning. Truly amazing.

IMG 9211   Glowing Lemon Sugar Hand Scrub & 11 Other Ways To Use Lemons!

Looking for others fun uses for lemons? Check out this list I compiled below. Special thanks to Green Living Tips and Eco Knowledge for some of the tips.

Other ways to use lemons:

1) Homemade detox drink. Juice a lemon and mix it with water. Drink it on an empty stomach as soon as you wake up. It will aid in digestion and give you a great start to your day. Just be sure to drink it with a straw as the acidic nature of citrus can wear the enamel of the teeth.

2) Clean silver, chrome, and tarnished brass.

3) Clean your microwave: Juice 1 lemon and add to a bowl of water. Place in the microwave and heat for about 5 minutes on high. The steam will help soften any gunk on your microwave so you can easily wipe it down afterward.

4) Freshen your garbage disposal. Instead of throwing out your lemon scraps, toss them into your garbage disposal to freshen it up and deodorize.

5) Make potpourri.

6) Scrub your kitchen. Mix lemon juice and salt together for an all-natural kitchen scrub.

7) Deodorize your humidifier. Add some lemon juice to your humidifier water to deodorize.

8.) Prevent spoilage. Add some fresh lemon juice on an avocado or fruit salad to prevent browning.

9) Homemade fruit and veggie wash. Mix 1 tbsp lemon juice, 2 tbsp vinegar, and 1 cup water together to make a natural fruit and veggie cleaner.

10) Chop, chop. Use lemons to clean your chopping boards.

11) Baking and cooking. The obvious one here, but lemon is a fun ingredient in many recipes. One of my favs are these Tropical Lemon Cranberry Chia Bars! I also have 53 recipes that contain lemons!

IMG 9416   Glowing Lemon Sugar Hand Scrub & 11 Other Ways To Use Lemons!

What are your favourite ways to use lemons? Do you ever make any homemade scrubs or other beauty products?

Hannah April 16, 2012

Haha! Unless you meant to, I love that the 8) came up as a smiley face with sunglasses! That made my day. Great tips!!

Hannah April 16, 2012

it did it to me too!! I meant to type “eight, parentheses.” Sorry for the ridiculousness :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 16, 2012

LOL just saw your second comment!!! classic.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 16, 2012

hah that always happens when I type an 8 with a bracket! I added a dot to it. ;)

Jesse (OutToLunchCreations) April 16, 2012

I drink lemon water every morning and I’m always looking for way to use up the rind because I hate throwing them out and wasting them. A while ago I came across this http://pinterest.com/pin/149111437632513612/ and it works really well. I filled a mason jar with lemon rinds, filled it up with white vinegar, sealed it and let it sit for a couple weeks. Now I have a lemon scented all purpose cleaner that I can dilute use all over the house! I’ll have to check out the link for potpourri because that would be fun to try as well.

Laura (Five Focus) April 16, 2012

In the summer I like to add 1/2 cup to my washing and then hang it out to dry- smells so light and fresh afterwards!

Kaylee April 16, 2012

I learned this from a natural make-up artist in Chicago, and it is her ONE Go-To for people struggling with cystic (or regular) acne:
–put lemon juice on the zit.
Yeah…that’s it. Just take a q-tip, stick it inside a lemon, and then get just on the pimple. Don’t go too much around, or all over your face, otherwise you’ll dry out all the rest of your skin.

Anyway, this has done miracles for me, and I’ve tried just about everything out there in regards to natural acne-fighting (including food allergy elimination, natural skin care products, tea tree oil, etc).

Lindsay April 16, 2012

This is great to know! Thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 16, 2012

Wow that sounds amazing. I could see how the juice could dry it out too.

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh April 16, 2012

I am absolutely trying that scrub (okay and probably everything else too but my hands are lookin’ rough these days!) I’ve got 3 leftover lemons just asking to be used! Thanks!

Aimee April 16, 2012

I’m going to try this immediately! This will surely help me feel less like an alligator and more like a human. In other news, last night I made your 5-ingredient vegan cheese sauce, the Lexus of cheese sauces. WOW! YUM! I couldn’t stop eating it with a spoon directly out of the pot. My grandfather shuffled into the kitchen to see why I was so quiet, and caught me red-handed…sauce on my face, spoon in my hand…

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 16, 2012

Im happy you enjoyed it Aimee!

Susan April 16, 2012

Lemon zest in muffins or almost any baked good is delightful. Then to use up the half zested lemon that is inevitably sitting on my counter, I put a wedge in my water bottle each day to add some flavor to my water.

ella @ lifeologia April 16, 2012

A simple glass of lukewarm water with 1/4 lemon squeezed in it is an amazing detox!
Drink it on an empty stomach first thing in the morning *)
I just wrote about it here: http://www.lifeologia.com/live-better-drink-more-water/
ps. loving your scrub ;)

Ally Cee April 16, 2012

I want to get a lemon tree for my porch so badly. I love, love, love lemons!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 16, 2012

I know this is a hand scrub, but I’m totally making some to slather on my feet! I’ve been doing the lemon water in the morning thing for a while now and I don’t really think I feel different, but I like to think that it’s keeping my liver nice and clean! ;) Recently I told my roommate about the whole lemon-juice-on-apples trick to keep them from browning. I was surprised she hadn’t heard it before! Ooh and another use for lemons… lemon poppyseed cake/muffins/loaf… gets me every time!

Mrs. Jimenez August 15, 2013

Hi Angela! I thought the same thing, but here is something to consider. My mother and I were discussing the benefits of lemon today. There is a friend of the family who I consider my dad in so many ways, but has no relations to the family. He is 85 and literally looks 60. My own husband did not believe me when I told him his real age and dared to call me a liar. LOL. My husband met him and was amazed. His secrets are fruits, veggies, and a whole lot of lemon plus vinegar. That’s it! He should be checked periodically for prostate cancer and has no problems whatsoever with his prostates. No cancer, cancer free and has never had any throughout his life at age 85. He is standing tall! LOL. Amazing.

Some things are never felt, but seen. If that is your picture keep doing what you are doing to have a flawless look as you have in that pic. Smiles. You could be avoiding cancer right now as I’m writing this, and as you continue to take lemon with water fighting many other things that can make a person sick. Don’t stop. Lemon is known to diminish fat and boost metabolism – I’ve lost nine pounds drinking lemon and coffee in a weeks time. Believe that it is working wonders for you all around. Cancer seems to be plaguing many home, and I often wonder if it is the genetically modified foods, but natural has always been the best remedy in some cases. I am resorting to preventing cancer cells in this way because I have had a long battle with problems in the uterus regarding conception, ovarian cysts, fibroids, irregular periods, and polyps…so far so good! All of my PAP SMEARS have been normal and no cancerous cells.

Here is my facial remedy which my mother immediately saw a change in skin color and texture within a week. I was speaking at local event and she saw a video and up close photos and said your face looks flawless. My skin is acne prone since my late 20s until today. The remedy is:

2 TBSP GRAM FLOUR
1 TBSP ALMOND OIL
1/2 TSP TURMERIC
HALF A LEMON
MILK SPARINGLY

MIX TO MAKE A PASTE SMOOTH AND THICK ENOUGH TO FORM INTO A FACIAL MASK. YOU CAN ADD RICE FLOUR INSTEAD OR REGULAR FLOUR IF IT IS CHEAPER, BUT IT WORKS JUST AS GOOD. I PREFER GRAM FLOUR INSTEAD. THIS WILL HELP LIGHTEN YOUR SKIN AND AID IN REMOVING SKIN DISCOLORATIONS (WHICH I HAVE FROM THE ACNE) AND THE TURMERIC ACTS AS A BACTERIA FIGHTING AGENT WITH MANY BENEFITS THAT AID THE BODY AND SKIN.

YOU CAN ADD ALOE AS WELL, BUT YOU WOULD FIRST HAVE TO MIX THE MILK WITH 1/2 INCH OF ALOE GEL (FROM THE PLANT WITHOUT THE SKIN) AND ADD TO THE ABOVE INGREDIENTS AS WELL. IT IS A WONDERFUL MIXTURES, AND I USE IT THREE TIMES A WEEK UNTIL I SEE SOME PROGRESS AND THEN TWICE AND THEN ONCE AND SO FORTH.

I HAVE HEARD THAT ADDING LESS THAN A TEASPOON TO WARM MILK IS VERY BENEFICIAL FOR INTERNAL BODY HEALTH CLEANING THE BODY OF UNNECESSARY TOXINS. HOPE THIS IS BENEFICIAL. TAKE CARE ALL AND ANGELA. LEMON IS MAKING A DIFFERENCE EVEN WHEN YOU DON’T SEE IT. TTFN

WARNING! IF YOU ARE ALLERGIC TO ANY OF THESE PRODUCTS PLEASE DO NOT PLACE ON SKIN.

Jeanelle @ Glocal Girl April 16, 2012

I drink the lemon and hot water detox drink every morning.. I swear it does wonders for my skin and digestive health!

marcia November 22, 2013

just make sure the water is not too hot because that will kill all the important enzymes in the lemon. I pour in cup one half room temperture water then the rest from my tea kettle. Not sure if people know this but NO HOT water.. Lukewarm always. :-)

Josephine April 16, 2012

You can also use their sifted juice as natural shampoo! :D And my father always puts half an “empty” skin in his dishwasher to keep the glasses shiny :)

Liz April 16, 2012

I love that lemon scrub idea. Must confess that I love lemons – Lemon Delicious is always my birthday dessert (though best when I am with my parents and my mum can make it!), and my husband thinks I should just eat them straight :) One thing I do like to do (and this goes for oranges as well), is to toss them in the garbage disposal (usually just skins) and run it. Instant air freshener from the drain :)

Duck April 16, 2012

Who doesn’t love a beauty product you can lick off?

Mrs. Jimenez August 15, 2013

Ja, ja…good one! I’ll ask my husband if he likes the taste….

Dominika April 16, 2012

you can mix lemon juice with extra virgin olive oil (best organic) and rub it in your skin to make it more firm

Abbey April 16, 2012

I like using leftover lemon rinds to help remove food smells in the kitchen – just boil with a little bit of water and a cinnamon stick for much fresher air.

Robyn April 16, 2012

I love posts like this,,,thankyou,thankyou and thankyou! I am so making that simple scrub and the fruit/vegie wash. I have started my day with lemon water for the last 10yrs and couldn’t imagine not doing this…love lemon in all cooking/non-cooking foods too. My fruit bowl never is empty of lemons :-)

Catalina @ Cake with Love April 16, 2012

What a great post, I also make my own scrubs, and use lemon in most of them! Love how my skin feels after that!

Jenna Zoe April 16, 2012

For keeping half an avocado from blackening in the fridge, you can squeeze lemon juice over it to prevent the oxidation – it really works!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 16, 2012

I’m going to make the scrub! I love how moisturizing olive oil is. Will it keep for a while?

I like to add lemon zest to just about any recipe. I think it makes everything just a little better – like salt!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 16, 2012

Mine is fine in the fridge for a couple weeks…that’s usually when I use it up…so it could last longer!

Nadiya @ Milk and Honey April 16, 2012

Those are some pretty cool ideas :) I usually do honey and oat face masks but I’m thinking if I’d help if I’d add some lemon to it :P

Yellow Haired Girl April 16, 2012

I make my own hand scrub, but I’ve never thought to add lemon! Great idea … and one that would probably wake my senses up :)

jenna April 16, 2012

thanks for the tip on drinking lemon water with a straw. my daughter and I consume a ton of lemon water and i never even thought it might be harmful to our teeth.

Heather @ Better With Veggies April 16, 2012

What a great idea – I have been battling dry skin again recently, so this is perfect timing!

Hailey April 16, 2012

I can’t wait to try the fruit/veggie wash…I always get nervous eating raw produce when I just rinse it off. Great tips!

I love adding lemon juice to curries/lentil soup/anything with Indian spices to it. It just adds a nice brightness and freshens up your pallet nicely. :-)

Fiona April 16, 2012

I love these types of posts too! I like adding a small handful of this stuff to a bathtub for total body softness, and when my mother-in-law uses a lemon in cooking she rubs the sink down with it after it’s been juiced, which I thought was neat. Maybe another neat post would be what your “beauty” routine is like and what products you use, especially if you’ve found a natural solution for certain things. I really love natural home recipes like this!

Fiona April 16, 2012

Quick question – to get it out of the jar, do you just use your fingers to scoop a bit out? That’s what I do but I’m wondering if you do it differently.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 16, 2012

I just use a spoon :)

Fiona April 16, 2012

Oh – thanks! Now I feel sheepish because that seems like such an obviously simple solution. Lol

Amanda @RewildYourLife April 16, 2012

We love making homemade beauty products! One of my favorites is chocolate powder, avocado, honey and orange zest mixed together in the food processor and it makes a great face mask…. and raw chocolate pudding :) YUM

Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 16, 2012

I’ve done the water and lemon thing in the morning before. I just always forget to buy lemons when I’m at the store! But I do think it helps with digestion! :)

Cat @ Breakfast to Bed April 16, 2012

when I was in high school, I used it to try to lighten my hair with the sun. I looked like some kinda hot mess.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 16, 2012

I used to do that too! lol

Madhuja April 16, 2012

I love using lemons in a face mask! This is what I do -
2-3 tbsp gram flour/besan
2 tbsp lemon juice
squirt of honey
splash of water
Mix it up, slather it over your face and wash off when it is dry! So good for my skin! :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks April 16, 2012

Lemons are so awesome and right now they are in season and literally falling off the trees here in San Diego. When I am running, I have to dodge lemons that are on the ground on some sidewalks. Some of those old 100+ year old lemon trees have hundreds at any one time.

Love the scrub and your other ideas!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 16, 2012

aha that’s hilarious :) Don’t get knocked out!

Bronwyn April 16, 2012

This scrub sounds amazing! Can’t wait to try it.

Mike Lieberman April 16, 2012

You can also boil up lemon rinds to use as a non-toxic air freshener.

Shilpa April 16, 2012

doesn’t the sugar dissolve?

Willow April 16, 2012

Great post, Angela! I love using every-day kitchen items for skin care, cleaning, etc.. I’ve made very similar hand scrubs, but haven’t in a long time… my skin sure could use it!

I’ve also heard that you can use lemons (something like 1/4 cup lemon juice to 1 cup warm water) to rinse your hair and remove any residues or build-ups. Haven’t tried it myself, though.
(While I’m thinking of it, another great hair tip: if you have a slightly over-ripe avocado, instead of tossing it mash it up and work it into your hair and scalp. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes before showering and it’s a great moisturizing hair mask!)

bitt of raw April 16, 2012

Great ideas!

I use lemon in water with stevia for lemonade.

Q: How exactly does the lemon clean the chopping board? Rub on it?

I have used lemons to clean porcelain tubs and sinks, whatever, just the rinds. Works great on white. Fights mildew.

Laura April 16, 2012

I use the lemon after it’s been cut and juiced… There’s always a little bit left and I just rub the halves/wedges on the board and scrub it in a little. Lemon is a natural antibacterial agent. Even gets rid of the onion/garlic smell that sometimes lingers!!!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape April 16, 2012

I love using it in quick salad dressings!

Shruti April 16, 2012

I leave the used up lemon rinds in the kitchen sink crusher to keep it smelling fresh and clean.
When the crusher is turned on it only makes it smell better!

Tegan April 16, 2012

When I have a cold I will mix lemon juice with a heaping spoon of jam and a mug full of hot water to make a delicious beverage that is super soothing for a sore throat. It was what my host family gave to me in Ukraine when I was sick. My host family in Brazil gave me honey and limes when I got sick, but I like the jam a lot better. I love it so much that I’ll make it just for kicks on occasion on a cold wintery day. Hope you have the chance to try it!

Moni Meals April 16, 2012

This is SO simple and great. I have to try this. I too am a huge lemon person. always stocked with Meyers Lemons. Great tip Ang!

Love lemon on everything!

Page 1 of 3123»