Glowing Lemon Sugar Hand Scrub & 11 Other Ways To Use Lemons!

IMG_5541

I have a thing for lemons.

It’s pretty rare that I don’t have a couple lurking in the fridge. Lately, I’ve been finding more and more ways to fuel my addiction. Lemons are not only packed with antioxidants and rich in vitamin C, but they are detoxifying for the body and are said to contain cancer fighting compounds. You can read much more about them (along with limes) over at World’s Healthiest Foods.

Today, our mission is to compile the world’s biggest list of the many ways to use lemons. Or at least a long one! I started us off at the bottom of this post, but it’s up to you to add to it if you’d like.

But first, I’m sharing with you one of my all-time favourite ways to use lemons with a couple ingredients you probably have lurking in your pantry. I’ve been making variations of this hand scrub for a couple years now and it never lets me down!

IMG_9212

My hands (and elbows, feet, knees, etc) can get very dry and this scrub exfoliates and seals in moisture like nothing I have used. I like to keep a jar in the fridge and whip it out a few times a week to give my hands a good scrub. It also makes an amazing facial scrub and body scrub too!

You can make a basic scrub using just a few ingredients. I personally like using:

• 1 part oil
  • 2 parts sugar
  • lemon juice + zest

IMG_9200

Glowing Lemon Sugar Hand Scrub

Print, Email, or Text this recipe. (update: Sorry guys the recipe isn’t loading in Recipage at the moment!)

Adapted from my previous scrub.

Ingredients:

• 1/3 cup olive oil (or oil of choice)
  • 2/3 cup sugar (see tip)
  • Juice of 1/2 a lemon (about 1.5 tbsp)
  • pinch of two of lemon zest

1. In a jar or small container, stir together the oil, sugar, lemon juice, and zest. Store in the fridge with a lid for maximum freshness. Feel free to use this scrub on your hands, feet, elbows, knees, face, and total body whenever it needs a burst of moisture and shiny glow.

Tips:

The finer the sugar you use, the less rough your scrub will be. I like using a fine white sugar if I’m using it on my face and hands since those parts tend to have thinner, more delicate skin. If I’m making a body scrub, I like using a coarser sugar like brown or turbinado or even coarse sea salt.

If using this on your face, be sure to use a cleanser afterwards to remove the oil.

IMG_9202

IMG_9201

You have to try this.

IMG_9209

Rub it all over your hands and give yourself a good massage!

IMG_9210

My hands aren’t normally very soft, but this scrub makes them feel like a baby’s bottom! Or maybe even softer…

I used it yesterday morning and I can still feel the difference on my hands this morning. Truly amazing.

IMG_9211

Looking for others fun uses for lemons? Check out this list I compiled below. Special thanks to Green Living Tips and Eco Knowledge for some of the tips.

Other ways to use lemons:

1) Homemade detox drink. Juice a lemon and mix it with water. Drink it on an empty stomach as soon as you wake up. It will aid in digestion and give you a great start to your day. Just be sure to drink it with a straw as the acidic nature of citrus can wear the enamel of the teeth.

2) Clean silver, chrome, and tarnished brass.

3) Clean your microwave: Juice 1 lemon and add to a bowl of water. Place in the microwave and heat for about 5 minutes on high. The steam will help soften any gunk on your microwave so you can easily wipe it down afterward.

4) Freshen your garbage disposal. Instead of throwing out your lemon scraps, toss them into your garbage disposal to freshen it up and deodorize.

5) Make potpourri.

6) Scrub your kitchen. Mix lemon juice and salt together for an all-natural kitchen scrub.

7) Deodorize your humidifier. Add some lemon juice to your humidifier water to deodorize.

8.) Prevent spoilage. Add some fresh lemon juice on an avocado or fruit salad to prevent browning.

9) Homemade fruit and veggie wash. Mix 1 tbsp lemon juice, 2 tbsp vinegar, and 1 cup water together to make a natural fruit and veggie cleaner.

10) Chop, chop. Use lemons to clean your chopping boards.

11) Baking and cooking. The obvious one here, but lemon is a fun ingredient in many recipes. One of my favs are these Tropical Lemon Cranberry Chia Bars! I also have 53 recipes that contain lemons!

IMG_9416

What are your favourite ways to use lemons? Do you ever make any homemade scrubs or other beauty products?

1 Hannah April 16, 2012

Haha! Unless you meant to, I love that the 8) came up as a smiley face with sunglasses! That made my day. Great tips!!

2 Hannah April 16, 2012

it did it to me too!! I meant to type “eight, parentheses.” Sorry for the ridiculousness :)

3 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 16, 2012

LOL just saw your second comment!!! classic.

4 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 16, 2012

hah that always happens when I type an 8 with a bracket! I added a dot to it. ;)

5 Jesse (OutToLunchCreations) April 16, 2012

I drink lemon water every morning and I’m always looking for way to use up the rind because I hate throwing them out and wasting them. A while ago I came across this http://pinterest.com/pin/149111437632513612/ and it works really well. I filled a mason jar with lemon rinds, filled it up with white vinegar, sealed it and let it sit for a couple weeks. Now I have a lemon scented all purpose cleaner that I can dilute use all over the house! I’ll have to check out the link for potpourri because that would be fun to try as well.

6 Laura (Five Focus) April 16, 2012

In the summer I like to add 1/2 cup to my washing and then hang it out to dry- smells so light and fresh afterwards!

7 Kaylee April 16, 2012

I learned this from a natural make-up artist in Chicago, and it is her ONE Go-To for people struggling with cystic (or regular) acne:
–put lemon juice on the zit.
Yeah…that’s it. Just take a q-tip, stick it inside a lemon, and then get just on the pimple. Don’t go too much around, or all over your face, otherwise you’ll dry out all the rest of your skin.

Anyway, this has done miracles for me, and I’ve tried just about everything out there in regards to natural acne-fighting (including food allergy elimination, natural skin care products, tea tree oil, etc).

8 Lindsay April 16, 2012

This is great to know! Thank you!

9 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 16, 2012

Wow that sounds amazing. I could see how the juice could dry it out too.

10 The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh April 16, 2012

I am absolutely trying that scrub (okay and probably everything else too but my hands are lookin’ rough these days!) I’ve got 3 leftover lemons just asking to be used! Thanks!

11 Aimee April 16, 2012

I’m going to try this immediately! This will surely help me feel less like an alligator and more like a human. In other news, last night I made your 5-ingredient vegan cheese sauce, the Lexus of cheese sauces. WOW! YUM! I couldn’t stop eating it with a spoon directly out of the pot. My grandfather shuffled into the kitchen to see why I was so quiet, and caught me red-handed…sauce on my face, spoon in my hand…

12 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 16, 2012

Im happy you enjoyed it Aimee!

13 Susan April 16, 2012

Lemon zest in muffins or almost any baked good is delightful. Then to use up the half zested lemon that is inevitably sitting on my counter, I put a wedge in my water bottle each day to add some flavor to my water.

14 ella @ lifeologia April 16, 2012

A simple glass of lukewarm water with 1/4 lemon squeezed in it is an amazing detox!
Drink it on an empty stomach first thing in the morning *)
I just wrote about it here: http://www.lifeologia.com/live-better-drink-more-water/
ps. loving your scrub ;)

15 Ally Cee April 16, 2012

I want to get a lemon tree for my porch so badly. I love, love, love lemons!

16 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 16, 2012

I know this is a hand scrub, but I’m totally making some to slather on my feet! I’ve been doing the lemon water in the morning thing for a while now and I don’t really think I feel different, but I like to think that it’s keeping my liver nice and clean! ;) Recently I told my roommate about the whole lemon-juice-on-apples trick to keep them from browning. I was surprised she hadn’t heard it before! Ooh and another use for lemons… lemon poppyseed cake/muffins/loaf… gets me every time!

17 Mrs. Jimenez August 15, 2013

Hi Angela! I thought the same thing, but here is something to consider. My mother and I were discussing the benefits of lemon today. There is a friend of the family who I consider my dad in so many ways, but has no relations to the family. He is 85 and literally looks 60. My own husband did not believe me when I told him his real age and dared to call me a liar. LOL. My husband met him and was amazed. His secrets are fruits, veggies, and a whole lot of lemon plus vinegar. That’s it! He should be checked periodically for prostate cancer and has no problems whatsoever with his prostates. No cancer, cancer free and has never had any throughout his life at age 85. He is standing tall! LOL. Amazing.

Some things are never felt, but seen. If that is your picture keep doing what you are doing to have a flawless look as you have in that pic. Smiles. You could be avoiding cancer right now as I’m writing this, and as you continue to take lemon with water fighting many other things that can make a person sick. Don’t stop. Lemon is known to diminish fat and boost metabolism – I’ve lost nine pounds drinking lemon and coffee in a weeks time. Believe that it is working wonders for you all around. Cancer seems to be plaguing many home, and I often wonder if it is the genetically modified foods, but natural has always been the best remedy in some cases. I am resorting to preventing cancer cells in this way because I have had a long battle with problems in the uterus regarding conception, ovarian cysts, fibroids, irregular periods, and polyps…so far so good! All of my PAP SMEARS have been normal and no cancerous cells.

Here is my facial remedy which my mother immediately saw a change in skin color and texture within a week. I was speaking at local event and she saw a video and up close photos and said your face looks flawless. My skin is acne prone since my late 20s until today. The remedy is:

2 TBSP GRAM FLOUR
1 TBSP ALMOND OIL
1/2 TSP TURMERIC
HALF A LEMON
MILK SPARINGLY

MIX TO MAKE A PASTE SMOOTH AND THICK ENOUGH TO FORM INTO A FACIAL MASK. YOU CAN ADD RICE FLOUR INSTEAD OR REGULAR FLOUR IF IT IS CHEAPER, BUT IT WORKS JUST AS GOOD. I PREFER GRAM FLOUR INSTEAD. THIS WILL HELP LIGHTEN YOUR SKIN AND AID IN REMOVING SKIN DISCOLORATIONS (WHICH I HAVE FROM THE ACNE) AND THE TURMERIC ACTS AS A BACTERIA FIGHTING AGENT WITH MANY BENEFITS THAT AID THE BODY AND SKIN.

YOU CAN ADD ALOE AS WELL, BUT YOU WOULD FIRST HAVE TO MIX THE MILK WITH 1/2 INCH OF ALOE GEL (FROM THE PLANT WITHOUT THE SKIN) AND ADD TO THE ABOVE INGREDIENTS AS WELL. IT IS A WONDERFUL MIXTURES, AND I USE IT THREE TIMES A WEEK UNTIL I SEE SOME PROGRESS AND THEN TWICE AND THEN ONCE AND SO FORTH.

I HAVE HEARD THAT ADDING LESS THAN A TEASPOON TO WARM MILK IS VERY BENEFICIAL FOR INTERNAL BODY HEALTH CLEANING THE BODY OF UNNECESSARY TOXINS. HOPE THIS IS BENEFICIAL. TAKE CARE ALL AND ANGELA. LEMON IS MAKING A DIFFERENCE EVEN WHEN YOU DON’T SEE IT. TTFN

WARNING! IF YOU ARE ALLERGIC TO ANY OF THESE PRODUCTS PLEASE DO NOT PLACE ON SKIN.

18 Jeanelle @ Glocal Girl April 16, 2012

I drink the lemon and hot water detox drink every morning.. I swear it does wonders for my skin and digestive health!

19 marcia November 22, 2013

just make sure the water is not too hot because that will kill all the important enzymes in the lemon. I pour in cup one half room temperture water then the rest from my tea kettle. Not sure if people know this but NO HOT water.. Lukewarm always. :-)

20 Josephine April 16, 2012

You can also use their sifted juice as natural shampoo! :D And my father always puts half an “empty” skin in his dishwasher to keep the glasses shiny :)

21 Liz April 16, 2012

I love that lemon scrub idea. Must confess that I love lemons – Lemon Delicious is always my birthday dessert (though best when I am with my parents and my mum can make it!), and my husband thinks I should just eat them straight :) One thing I do like to do (and this goes for oranges as well), is to toss them in the garbage disposal (usually just skins) and run it. Instant air freshener from the drain :)

22 Duck April 16, 2012

Who doesn’t love a beauty product you can lick off?

23 Mrs. Jimenez August 15, 2013

Ja, ja…good one! I’ll ask my husband if he likes the taste….

24 Dominika April 16, 2012

you can mix lemon juice with extra virgin olive oil (best organic) and rub it in your skin to make it more firm

25 Abbey April 16, 2012

I like using leftover lemon rinds to help remove food smells in the kitchen – just boil with a little bit of water and a cinnamon stick for much fresher air.

26 Robyn April 16, 2012

I love posts like this,,,thankyou,thankyou and thankyou! I am so making that simple scrub and the fruit/vegie wash. I have started my day with lemon water for the last 10yrs and couldn’t imagine not doing this…love lemon in all cooking/non-cooking foods too. My fruit bowl never is empty of lemons :-)

27 Catalina @ Cake with Love April 16, 2012

What a great post, I also make my own scrubs, and use lemon in most of them! Love how my skin feels after that!

28 Jenna Zoe April 16, 2012

For keeping half an avocado from blackening in the fridge, you can squeeze lemon juice over it to prevent the oxidation – it really works!

29 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 16, 2012

I’m going to make the scrub! I love how moisturizing olive oil is. Will it keep for a while?

I like to add lemon zest to just about any recipe. I think it makes everything just a little better – like salt!

30 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 16, 2012

Mine is fine in the fridge for a couple weeks…that’s usually when I use it up…so it could last longer!

31 Nadiya @ Milk and Honey April 16, 2012

Those are some pretty cool ideas :) I usually do honey and oat face masks but I’m thinking if I’d help if I’d add some lemon to it :P

32 Yellow Haired Girl April 16, 2012

I make my own hand scrub, but I’ve never thought to add lemon! Great idea … and one that would probably wake my senses up :)

33 jenna April 16, 2012

thanks for the tip on drinking lemon water with a straw. my daughter and I consume a ton of lemon water and i never even thought it might be harmful to our teeth.

34 Heather @ Better With Veggies April 16, 2012

What a great idea – I have been battling dry skin again recently, so this is perfect timing!

35 Hailey April 16, 2012

I can’t wait to try the fruit/veggie wash…I always get nervous eating raw produce when I just rinse it off. Great tips!

I love adding lemon juice to curries/lentil soup/anything with Indian spices to it. It just adds a nice brightness and freshens up your pallet nicely. :-)

36 Fiona April 16, 2012

I love these types of posts too! I like adding a small handful of this stuff to a bathtub for total body softness, and when my mother-in-law uses a lemon in cooking she rubs the sink down with it after it’s been juiced, which I thought was neat. Maybe another neat post would be what your “beauty” routine is like and what products you use, especially if you’ve found a natural solution for certain things. I really love natural home recipes like this!

37 Fiona April 16, 2012

Quick question – to get it out of the jar, do you just use your fingers to scoop a bit out? That’s what I do but I’m wondering if you do it differently.

38 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 16, 2012

I just use a spoon :)

39 Fiona April 16, 2012

Oh – thanks! Now I feel sheepish because that seems like such an obviously simple solution. Lol

40 Amanda @RewildYourLife April 16, 2012

We love making homemade beauty products! One of my favorites is chocolate powder, avocado, honey and orange zest mixed together in the food processor and it makes a great face mask…. and raw chocolate pudding :) YUM

41 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 16, 2012

I’ve done the water and lemon thing in the morning before. I just always forget to buy lemons when I’m at the store! But I do think it helps with digestion! :)

42 Cat @ Breakfast to Bed April 16, 2012

when I was in high school, I used it to try to lighten my hair with the sun. I looked like some kinda hot mess.

43 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 16, 2012

I used to do that too! lol

44 Madhuja April 16, 2012

I love using lemons in a face mask! This is what I do –
2-3 tbsp gram flour/besan
2 tbsp lemon juice
squirt of honey
splash of water
Mix it up, slather it over your face and wash off when it is dry! So good for my skin! :)

45 Averie @ Averie Cooks April 16, 2012

Lemons are so awesome and right now they are in season and literally falling off the trees here in San Diego. When I am running, I have to dodge lemons that are on the ground on some sidewalks. Some of those old 100+ year old lemon trees have hundreds at any one time.

Love the scrub and your other ideas!

46 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 16, 2012

aha that’s hilarious :) Don’t get knocked out!

47 Bronwyn April 16, 2012

This scrub sounds amazing! Can’t wait to try it.

48 Mike Lieberman April 16, 2012

You can also boil up lemon rinds to use as a non-toxic air freshener.

49 Shilpa April 16, 2012

doesn’t the sugar dissolve?

50 Willow April 16, 2012

Great post, Angela! I love using every-day kitchen items for skin care, cleaning, etc.. I’ve made very similar hand scrubs, but haven’t in a long time… my skin sure could use it!

I’ve also heard that you can use lemons (something like 1/4 cup lemon juice to 1 cup warm water) to rinse your hair and remove any residues or build-ups. Haven’t tried it myself, though.
(While I’m thinking of it, another great hair tip: if you have a slightly over-ripe avocado, instead of tossing it mash it up and work it into your hair and scalp. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes before showering and it’s a great moisturizing hair mask!)

51 bitt of raw April 16, 2012

Great ideas!

I use lemon in water with stevia for lemonade.

Q: How exactly does the lemon clean the chopping board? Rub on it?

I have used lemons to clean porcelain tubs and sinks, whatever, just the rinds. Works great on white. Fights mildew.

52 Laura April 16, 2012

I use the lemon after it’s been cut and juiced… There’s always a little bit left and I just rub the halves/wedges on the board and scrub it in a little. Lemon is a natural antibacterial agent. Even gets rid of the onion/garlic smell that sometimes lingers!!!

53 Liz @ Tip Top Shape April 16, 2012

I love using it in quick salad dressings!

54 Shruti April 16, 2012

I leave the used up lemon rinds in the kitchen sink crusher to keep it smelling fresh and clean.
When the crusher is turned on it only makes it smell better!

55 Tegan April 16, 2012

When I have a cold I will mix lemon juice with a heaping spoon of jam and a mug full of hot water to make a delicious beverage that is super soothing for a sore throat. It was what my host family gave to me in Ukraine when I was sick. My host family in Brazil gave me honey and limes when I got sick, but I like the jam a lot better. I love it so much that I’ll make it just for kicks on occasion on a cold wintery day. Hope you have the chance to try it!

56 Moni Meals April 16, 2012

This is SO simple and great. I have to try this. I too am a huge lemon person. always stocked with Meyers Lemons. Great tip Ang!

Love lemon on everything!

57 tima April 16, 2012

Hi Angela
I am a 32 years old who is recovering from ED , I need a good book about body image to work on that. I searched on internet but i did not find any specific book. could you ask your readers to introduce a good book for me, by the way English is my second language .

58 tima April 16, 2012

thanks

59 tima April 16, 2012

I want to add that i want a life changing book , I started to recover from ED after reading ” intuitive eating ” book …. this book really changed my life ,but i have some problems about accepting my body and i am looking for a good body image book to change my view about my body .
thanks ,
tima.

60 kaila @ healthyhelper April 16, 2012

Lemon is one of my all time favorite scents so I can’t wait to try out some of these uses for it!!! They all sound fantastic! Never would have thought of some of them….

61 Michaela@pilgrimageofhealth April 16, 2012

Clean out the disposal and make it smell fresh! After using lemons to cook with, whatever you have left simply put down the disposal.

62 Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner April 16, 2012

I can’t wait to try this! My hands are so SO dry.
I liked reading about the other things you can use lemon for too.

63 Nicole April 16, 2012

I always do #4 with orange peel, lemons, limes…

64 Anna @ The Guiltless Life April 16, 2012

I am always using lemon scraps to freshen up the waste disposal haha. Best secret weapon ever! Thanks for the hand scrub recipe, I am always loving making my own natural beauty products :).

65 Lindsey April 16, 2012

I’ve used it as a deodorant in the past. Just pat some of the juice in your armpit, let it dry, and the acid kills the odor causing bacteria that gives you BO. It didn’t irritate my skin like I thought it might either.

66 Maggie April 16, 2012

I LOVE lemon. I wish everything in my house could smell like lemon. If I could, I would just bathe in lemon. Lemon lemon lemon!!

67 Alex @ Raw Recovery April 16, 2012

I make a lot of homemade beauty products. LOVE, LOVE this post! I’m going to get my aromatherapy license now that I turned my thesis in!!

68 Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe April 16, 2012

Great ideas Angela! When I feel like I’m coming down with something (or actually get sick), I pour hot water into a big mug over half of a sliced lemon, fresh ginger, and a spoon full of honey. It’s a great hot drink to help battle colds and flus. Or to just warm the soul. :)

69 Jasper {crunchylittlebites} April 16, 2012

anything to get that glow on! i love these ideas Angela, they’d make a really thoughtful gift, too!
my favorite ways to use lemons: home decor (like on the movie: The Break-Up) and lemon bars!

70 Jacqueline April 16, 2012

You can leave the olive oil on after if you want. Olive oil is great for your skin as a moisturizer. It is also great at removing make up!

71 lynn @ the actor's diet April 16, 2012

i love cleaning and baking w lemons too. here’s my recipe for a liz lemon bread pudding!

72 LizAshlee April 16, 2012

I haven’t made any scrubs or DIY beauty products but I am getting more natural all the time! I do use vinegar in my smelly gym clothes to get the stink out! :)

73 helly April 16, 2012

this post couldn’t have come at a better time for me…i was just looking at the state of my dry hands this morning wondering just what i was going to do with them! so thank you thank you! i didn’t have enough olive oil so i used coconut oil and i think it turned out fine. it smells amazing and i had to taste a tiny bit too. ha!

74 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin April 16, 2012

I made a scrub like this with my friends last summer and it worked so well! Thanks for the tip about cleaning microwave – I’ve actually been putting that off because there is goop caked on it and I’m dreading the task! :P

My favourite way to use lemons is in dressings for salads. I’m actually eating one right now with lemon, Bragg’s soy seasoning, and EVO for the dressing!

75 Sarah April 16, 2012

I have a pretty sweet job – part of it consists of doing marketing for a certain citrus oriented company. I won’t name it, I’m not trying to promote anything. Just wanted to share. Before I started this job, of course I was into fruits and veggies, but after being immersed in citrus this and citrus that – you’d think I’d hate the stuff. But my citrus obsessions get curiously stronger. My new favorite color is orange, I seek out new varieties, and am always cooking with the stuff. I think I need an anonymous support group. I’ve had to make myself a fountain of lemon facts and home tips. Lemons can be used in gardening for plants that need acidity, removes discoloration in tea kettles, it takes odors off cutting boards – and one of my favorite tips…rub your hands with lemon after handling chilis. It neutralizes the enzyme that causes the burn. (My hands are magnets to my eyes after I forgot I’ve been cutting chilis. That is real pain.)
Thanks for the post and the recipes. Clearly, I need more lemon stuff. You’re really just feeding my habit.

76 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 16, 2012

haha awesome tips Sarah!

77 Somer Schmidt April 17, 2012

I needed that tip about using lemons after handling chilis! I made salsa yesterday and even though I washed my hands after chopping the jalapenos, I rubbed my eyes later, burn baby burn! Thanks!

78 katie@ KatieDid April 16, 2012

mmm loving citrus lately, although it’s been limes for me. I add it to tons of dishes and my water- thanks for the teeth enamel tip though I should be careful with that.

79 callah April 16, 2012

making a paste with baking soda to rub on yellowed nails helps lighten it up a notch, i start first by soaking in lemon juice and then scrubbing!

80 Joann@womaninreallife April 16, 2012

That hand scrub sounds like an absolute treat! Nice list of lemon uses too!

81 Danica @ It's Progression April 16, 2012

love this post! I’ve been meaning to try the water with lemon mix in the mornings but never knew why it’s “good”…now I know!

82 Meg April 16, 2012

love love love the smell of lemon hand stuff. makes me think of lemon meringue pie. mmmm…
speaking of, can you make key lime pie vegan???? **dont know how i related lemon meringue and key lime..

83 Zestful Lou April 16, 2012

I love drinking a hot cup of lemon “tea” in the morning. I boil some water and squeeze in a hearty squeeze of lemon juice, drop in a slice of lemon and sip it as I get ready for work. It wakes me up and warms me up!

Lemon is also a natural disinfectant!

84 Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats April 16, 2012

I use to drink lemon in my water all the time! Thanks for the reminder. Also I’ve been having a smelly garbage disposal problem and lemons are the perfect solution. Thanks for the excellent tips!

85 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers April 17, 2012

I love making homemade scrubs. Brown Sugar scrub is my fav! I used to have my own business making all natural lotions, soaps, scrubs, lip balm and more. It was so fun!!

86 Valeria April 17, 2012

Hello Angela,
thank you for your encouragement and suggestions when I asked you about tofu last week. I bought some natural firm tofu and made something very similar to this recipe:
except that I didn’t have scallions, and made my sauce just mixing soy sauce and honey and ginger. I also added some nuts and green beans…
and it was DELICIOUS! I was amazed. So I’m gonna try again, maybe your recipe next time.

have a lovely week
Valeria

87 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 17, 2012

Yay! Glad to hear that :)

88 greenthyme April 17, 2012

Thanks for posting this! I too, LOVE love lemons. I like to clean my tub and shower with baking soda and lemon juice. I halve lemons, squeeze the juice, and then use them for scrubbing the baking soda. Works like a charm. I can’t wait to try this scrub. I could have used this in the winter! My hands are always so dry. I love the idea of using lemon rinds as a non toxic air freshener! That’s great!

89 Somer Schmidt April 17, 2012

Love it! I always buy and use lemons for multiple things, but sometimes I have ones that go bad in my fridge. No more! Thanks for all the brilliant tips and that delicious looking recipe!

90 Judee @ Gluten Free A-Z April 17, 2012

Angela,
We husband loves lemon and using it in everything including soup!
I make scrubs, but this lemon one is by far the easiest.. can’t wait to try it. I just pinned it!

91 Lina April 17, 2012

I LOVE this! Quick questions: do you leave this on for a few minutes and then rinse it off? Do you wipe it off with a damp cloth? What type of cleanser do you recommend?

92 Michaela@pilgrimageofhealth April 17, 2012

I love homemade beauty scrubs with brown sugar and honey, with olive oil and essential oils.

93 char eats greens April 17, 2012

I just made lemon bars the other day – definitely one of the best ways to use them, in my opinion ;). This was my first time as a vegan making lemon bars (before I was – I used to have a recipe that involved eggs), and they are a hit!! There’s only a few left, so I better hide them from the husband!! :D

94 Jen @ keepitsimplefoods.com April 17, 2012

Love this! I often add lemons to the garbage disposal and to mop water. Love the way lemons freshen up a space!

95 Winter April 17, 2012

I was just thinking that I should do a lemon sugar scrub (on my body) this morning while showering. Quite the coincidence that you posted about it!
I’m not sure if anyone has said this or not yet, but some people use lemon scrubs on their face if they have freckles and want to lighten them. Every few months I’ll add lemon juice to my face scrub since it does feel great, but otherwise… I want to keep my freckles! :)

96 nichole {the refined hippy} April 17, 2012

Well dang, who knew you could do so many things with lemons! Lol, I will have to try that sugar scrub, nothing beats the lingering scent of fresh lemons.

97 oceanside orthodontist April 17, 2012

How long should you keep the scrub mixture in your body though? I tried the detox morning routine once, but I think I might have done it wrong since it didn’t made a difference on that week.

98 Alex April 18, 2012

My homemade scrub has oats, honey and olive oil. I should add some lemon but I think honey and oats both have something special that is good for your skin, I can’t remember why but I read about it in a magazine. I love this post by the way.

99 Amy J April 18, 2012

BEST SCRUB. Wow! just went out and bought a lemon for this, absolutely amazing! My boyfriend complains my feet are ‘rough’ (I run a lot), this smoothed them out completely! (and my hands in the process!)
Thanks so much OSG,
now-baby-soft-hands.

100 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 19, 2012

So glad you like it as much as I do Amy!

101 HEATHER April 19, 2012

I use lemons for a ton of stuff

Hair rinse after washing with baking soda: 1/3 honey, 1/3 lemon juice, 1/3 water.

cleaning cutting board: put a little salt on the board, take a half lemon and scrub

Scrubs. just rubbing one over my hands to get garlic smell out, cooking, in my water. to lighten hair in summer.

Anytime you make sorbet or fruit salad add a little squirt of lemon juice to make it extra yummy.

To clean tub: Take a half lemon or grapefruit, sprinkle with baking soda and scrub tub.

102 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 19, 2012

Great tips Heather!

103 emma April 23, 2012

wow what an awesome thread. i am definitely going to try this scrub and lots of the other tips too. thanks so much for all the good ideas. the only thing i do with lemons is add it to hot water, grated ginger and honey for a warm winter drink. mmm.

104 Alana April 23, 2012

I LOVE lemons, eating them, smelling them…the scrub would also help to get off a bad spray tan! Thanks for the ideas!

105 John Flink April 24, 2012

Fantastic! Best ever. I will share with all my friends

106 Karen April 25, 2012

Does the oil solidfy in the fridge? Thanks :)

107 Karen April 25, 2012

Does this mixture solidify when kept in the fridge?

108 Antonia April 28, 2012

For the tropical lemon bars cis it ok to substitute agave with raw honey?

109 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 29, 2012

i cant see why not!

110 Kendra at Our Homemade Happiness May 4, 2012

I love your post and your beautiful pics! I’ll have to try this lemon scrub. I’ve been making a similar scrub, but with honey instead of lemons: http://www.ourhomemadehappiness.com/2012/04/homemade-face-body-scrub.html

I use limes for a homemade rust remover and cleaning the build-up on my stainless steel pots and pans. But I think lemons would work too since they have citric acid in them as well:

111 hannah June 6, 2012

i wish i had like 4569834 lemons right now! so many different ideas bouncing around my mind right now… can’t wait to try this scrub/drink later ! totally craving lemonade now.. as for the laundry idea, i’m so happy summer is almost here so i can try that!!!!! thanks for the ideas! this blog never fails when you are bored looking for something to do! :`)
running to the store to buy all their lemons,
hannah :)

112 Ally August 7, 2012

Awesome idea! Disclaimer for those who live in hotter climates– RINSE all of the lemon off before going into the sun. In Texas, I once got lime juice on my hands– after drinking a few Coronas ;)– and then sat outside all day. The result was a gross blistered sunburn that lasted for several weeks. Citrus fruits are photosensitizers so beware!

113 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 7, 2012

yikes! Good to know. Thanks for the tip Ally.

114 Catalina Marcos April 9, 2014

For make glowing skin eye rid serum works great try to use this product really you get good result i am also using this same product

115 Dejan March 6, 2016

Great and informative posting, thanks!

116 Rupesh March 7, 2016

How come sugar help is getting the soft skin?
Does it act as exfoliator?
If yes then why?