My Vegan Pantry

IMG 1981 thumb   My Vegan Pantry

One of the requests I receive often is to write a post on building a vegan pantry, providing a list of the ingredients that I use the most. I’m a bit embarrassed by how long this post has taken me to put together, but as they say, better late than never. Or is it better never than late…heh.

This post is by no means exhaustive (nor do I think you need all or even most in your own pantry), but it does highlight many of my favourite foods that I have relied on for about 3 years now. Feel free to use it as inspiration for your own pantry. I also haven’t included vegetables or fruit because my favourites tend to change based on the seasons. Underneath each photo, I’ll list the name of the foods from left to right. You can also click on each picture to enlarge the photo if you wish to have a closer view of the product.

This post will also be linked from the top of the blog (see: “My vegan Pantry”) for easy access. You’ll find a printable PDF at the bottom of this post so you can print the list out and bring it to the store as a shopping list if you want. I hope you find it useful.

My best tip for building a pantry is to buy in bulk whenever possible whether in store, online, and/or via a buying club such as with ONFC (see my note below for discussion). One of the great things about eating a vegan or vegetarian diet is that many of the staple foods we enjoy cost just pennies per serving. Once you have a good base of grains, spices, and legumes built up the rest is just icing on the cake.

IMG 8901 thumb   My Vegan Pantry

Grains:

• Pearled Barley
  • Couscous
  • Rolled, Old-Fashioned Oats
  • Short-grain brown rice
  • Millet
  • Wild & brown rice
  • Speltberries
  • Not shown: Farro, kamut & brown rice pastas

Some of my fav flours:

• whole wheat pastry flour
  • light spelt flour
  • oat flour
  • almond meal or almond flour
  • kamut flour
  • brown rice flour

IMG 8906   My Vegan Pantry

Buckwheat is in a class of its own. It can be used just like a grain, but it’s technically a fruit seed (and often called a “pseudocereal”). I buy Raw Buckwheat Groats, which differ in flavour from kasha (toasted buckwheat). Personally, I prefer the flavour of raw buckwheat.

One of my favourite ways to enjoy raw buckwheat is in this raw, no cook breakfast porridge. It’s sooo good and fun for spring and summer mornings. You can also blend it up at night and there is no work in the morning, similar to vegan overnight oats.

IMG 8745   My Vegan Pantry

IMG 8904   My Vegan Pantry

Beans/Legumes:

• Quinoa (technically a pseudocereal, but since it’s a complete protein I list it here)
  • Black Beluga Lentils
  • Chickpeas
  • Red Lentils
  • Black Beans
  • Green Lentils
  • Firm or Super firm organic, non-GMO tofu
  • Not shown: Red kidney beans, navy beans, black eyed peas, split peas, edamame
  • You might also want to try cooking beans with a piece of kombu to aid digestion

IMG 8902 thumb   My Vegan Pantry

Nuts: (all raw)

• Macadamia
  • Almonds
  • Pecans
  • Walnuts
  • Cashews

IMG 8905 thumb   My Vegan Pantry

Seeds & Dried Fruit: (seeds are all raw)

• Pepita Seeds

• Organic Red Wine Vinegar

IMG 9091   My Vegan Pantry

Oils:

• Spectrum cold-pressed Olive Oil spray
  • Cold pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Unrefined Safflower Oil or toasted sesame oil
  • Occasionally, soy-free Earth Balance in the red tub.
  • Not shown: cold-pressed organic extra virgin coconut oil

fullsize   My Vegan Pantry

[image source]

IMG 8912   My Vegan Pantry

Sweeteners:

(I stock a lot since I’m big into baking)

• Raw Agave
  • Organic Molasses
  • Pure Maple Syrup
  • Brown Rice Syrup (unfortunately controversial right now, due to discoveries of arsenic in some syrups and other brown rice products)
  • Organic Dark Brown Sugar
  • Organic Sucanat sugar
  • Organic Cane Sugar
  • Raw Coconut Sugar
  • Medjool Dates

IMG 8911   My Vegan Pantry

At first glance, you might think that sugar is vegan, but unfortunately some brands use animal bone char to whiten the sugar. Yet another reason to move away from refined & bleached white sugar whenever possible.

I’ve also recently discovered coconut sugar, but I’ll be talking about that in another post.

IMG 9079   My Vegan Pantry

IMG 9086   My Vegan Pantry

IMG 8914   My Vegan Pantry

Chocolate certainly deserves its own category!

• Camino Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
  • Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips (I enjoy the mini chips much more than the chunks actually)
  • I often end up buying my chocolate chips in bulk though and just make sure they don’t contain dairy
  • Cacao nibs
  • Carob Powder (I buy from Bulk Barn)
  • Camino Cocoa Powder

IMG 9081   My Vegan Pantry

Odds & Ends:

• Nut & seed butters: Sweetened sunflower seed butter, raw almond butter, roasted natural PB
  • Almond Milk (I usually buy “unsweetened, original” for ease of use in recipes)
  • Unsweetened applesauce
  • Full fat coconut milk
  • Light coconut milk
  • Not shown: Coconut Butter (I often make my own)

IMG 9084   My Vegan Pantry

Odds & Ends Part II

• Nutritional Yeast
  • BPA-free Canned Beans
  • Strained Tomatoes
  • White Linen Collection Marinara Sauce from Costco
  • Low-Sodium Veggie Broth (or bouillon cubes for more cost savings)
  • Not shown: Low-sodium tamari, Aluminum-free baking powder, Cornstarch or arrowroot flour

Finally, my spice collection- which went from virtually nothing 5 years ago to a big and growing collection at present day. My love for spices grows as I experiment more in the kitchen. There is never any need to eat boring & bland food on a healthy diet.

IMG 9088 thumb   My Vegan Pantry

My spice collection:

(I put a star beside the ones I use most frequently)

• anise seed
  • cinnamon*
  • cream of tartar
  • cumin*
  • curry masala*
  • dill*
  • dry mustard
  • Fine and coarse sea salt*
  • garam masala*
  • garlic powder*
  • ginger*
  • ground cardamom
  • ground cloves
  • ground coriander seed
  • ground nutmeg
  • Herbamare***
  • kelp granule
  • Kosher salt* (unbleached, better flavour than regular table salt)
  • marjoram
    • smoked paprika*
    • star anise
    • thyme leaves
    • turmeric
    • Whole Black peppercorns*

IMG 9089 thumb   My Vegan Pantry

For a printable PDF of this list, click here.

Finally, I’d love to have a discussion about vegan-friendly stores (both online and in person) to purchase food products. I think a list of resources would be wonderful for new vegans and long-time vegans alike, especially when price-comparing and trying to save a few bucks.

If you’d like to join in on the discussion and offer your suggestions or even ask a question on where to find something, feel free to do so below! I will help as much as I can and I’m sure many of you have great pieces of advice too!

Moni Meals April 9, 2012

This was so great of you to post. It is very similiar to mine too. It is funny because to someone else, who say does not cook, this could seem like a very expensive way to live…but I disagree 100%. When you have a stocked pantry this GOOD, you save a TON of money and even better, get great meals out of it. :)

Mine is so not as neat as yours is though. ;)

Lina April 9, 2012

Great post! And as some other commenters pointed out, I have to get me some mason jars, they look so pretty :)

I have a Trader Joe’s close by (walking distance, and I don’t have a car) so I get most of my food from there.

I bought organic chia seeds from Amazon once (they have an automatic delivery option that saves you 15% or so each time). I also get Pacific soy milk from there (it comes in boxes of 12 tetrapaks).

I do wish Amazon would have more bulk food like that, because I have a prime membership, so I get free two-day shipping. It’s great for someone like me who doesn’t have a car/costco membership/etc :)

Jessica April 9, 2012

Yes! I’d love to here more about the use of coconut sugar- I discovered your blog last year and LOVE your recipes, there are many I use on a regular basis (happy to say even my carnivore husband enjoys them!) :). My mother lives with us also and she has progressive Multiple Sclerosis that has really exacerbated within the last couple years and is on a special organic paleo diet (with the exception of gluten free grains) to hopefully reverse some of the symptoms. I look towards alternative sweeteners she can have like maple syrup, agave, and honey when I cook for her and I’d love to experiment with the coconut sugar. Btw, you sugar- free, oil- free, gluten- free brownies are a favorite and I so appreciate your creativity and delicious food, keep it coming!!!!! :)

Annie @ twodogsandspice April 9, 2012

OMG! I wanted this exact post since I am planning on stocking up at Whole foods tomorrow! Perfect.
    Also, was that a lemon poppyseed loaf I saw on yesterday’s post? Please say yes.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 9, 2012

heh yes it was! Good eye

Lexie April 9, 2012

I always keep Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free flour on hand in case I’m baking from Babycakes recipes. I also keep xanathan gum, arrowroot powder, spelt flour and applesauce on hand because those recipes frequently call for them.

If you’re in Calgary – you can get them all from Community Natural Foods in the bulk section.

As a tip to anyone who buys bulk nuts or seeds but can never use them on time – i always store mine in the freezer. They keep for ages and take almost no time to thaw. :)

Maureen April 9, 2012

I love Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods and Amazon for pantry items. We use our Vitamix every day for fruit and veggie smoothies. So much better than a blender and easier to clean.
    Any suggestions for tasty protein powder or bars? I have tried several Vegan ones but they all make me gag.

Robyn April 9, 2012

Wow, this is a great post!! It must have taken you so long to do but it is awesome. Thank you so much! I usually find myself feeling overwhelmed at stores while trying to buy the basics and staples for a well-rounded vegan diet, and then always forget something. This is definitely really helpful!

bitt of raw April 9, 2012

What a great resource! Envious of your supplies, especially the spices! I moved awhile ago and had tons but didn’t restock. Anyhow read that they are best within 6 months anyhow so moving is a good time to refresh those. Wish I had those lazy susans too.

janie Kiaser April 9, 2012

Where have you found cocoa nibs? i can’t seem to find them at ANY whole foods i’ve been to!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 9, 2012

I bought them from Ontario Natural Food Coop…but yes they can be hard to find for sure.

Laura April 9, 2012

I FINALLY found them at my local Whole Foods!! Central Valley, CA. They had a special RAW section set up and they were on the bottom shelf but I have good chocolate radar :P

Amateur Mommy April 9, 2012

I love this post! Great basic knowledge and ideas for beginning vegans. Thanks!

Niki April 9, 2012

Costco is where I get a few staples (almond butter,quinoa etc) for the best price I’ve found. We don’t have a bulk barn here in Victoria but I really wish we did!

Danielle April 9, 2012

Thanks Angela, this is a really useful post and I appreciate the time you’ve taken to compile it! :)
    I am slowly transitioning from vegetarian to vegan and love your recipes but find some ingredients hard to find, such as unsweetened apple sauce and chia seeds for instance (plus I really wish dairya would start selling in the UK!) It is slowly improving here though, as affordable almond milk is finally available in supermarkets! (previously the only option cost £3+ (nearly $5 CAD) for 1 litre – and boy was it worth the wait!)

It would be amazing if the vegan-friendly stores discussion could be international, so readers can find out about stores in their countries they may not know about!

If only Glo Bars could be shipped internationally!…
    Hope you had a great Easter

emmycooks April 9, 2012

This is a great list! The only thing I would add is that it is so easy to make your own stock instead of buying it, and saves you about $20 every time you make a big pot. :) http://emmycooks.com/2012/04/07/how-to-make-homemade-organic-vegetable-broth-for-free/

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 9, 2012

Funny you mentioned that because I just made a homemade version recently. It took me a while to save up scraps, but I assume this could become a habit if I make it one :)

Livvie April 9, 2012

I just needed to ask, if you started veganizing because of Dreena Burton’s cookbooks? (I was reading some old Dreena posts on her website and I saw a “Glo” and I though, oh! GloBakery! and I thought it was so cool because She helped you be vegan, and I became vegan because of you, and I love Dreena’s books, and Circle of Life! :D

Anyhoo – THANK YOU for this post. I am moving in three weeks, and I wanted to do a total stock up of a Vegan Pantry and this helps a lot. Can you believe that Calgary does not have a Bulk Barn. (so sad). I have a question re: your spices. I heard that it is actually better to buy fresh spices and use, rather than used dried. (like not just herbs, but actual spices such as cardamon etc etc). DO you have a coffee grinder, or a place to get your own whole spices and make your own spice blends?

any online (Canadian friendly) websites to veganize would be great. as well. I know of one in Montreal where you can get vegan cream cheese and stuff but it would be great to make your own and things like that (hmm maybe that’s more of a request :D )

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 9, 2012

Thank you Livvie, I’m compiling a list as we speak and hope to post it sometime soon :)
    I am a HUGE fan of Dreena’s. I think her ED&BV book was my first vegan book and she is definitely a big reason why I fell in love with the vegan diet. Glad to hear you enjoy her as well. Have you checked out her new cookbook yet? I haven’t had a chance to make anything but its FILLED with great info. I know Im going to love this one so much.
    As for spices, yes I do have a coffee grinder and do have some whole spices, but I don’t make enough use of it I’m afraid. I also try to use fresh herbs whenever possible.

Livvie April 9, 2012

Oh, I do. (I was the last one to buy it off Amazon.ca hehe). I enjoy all four of her books, especially the book that has a chapter dedicated to hummus!

Again, thanks so much for this list. :) it will totally help me out. I want to start growing an indoor herb garden for fresh stuff.

to Danielle – making your own applesauce is quick and easy. (and you can control how much sugar you put in. I make mine with less than 1/4 cup of agave, because I add lemon juice/lemon rind to it).

Stephanie – I’ve heard this too! :) I wanna try it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 9, 2012

A hummus chapter…I know. She’s a woman after my own heart!

Elizabeth April 9, 2012

Great post! I buy most of my vegan products at Earth Fare. They have so many great items and lots of bulk, which I love! If you ever have the chance, check one out.

KRISTY WALKER April 9, 2012

I found your page on facebook. We are trying to go Gluten Free as my nearly 4 year old son has just been diagnosed. Do you have many GF recipes?

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 9, 2012

Glad you found the blog Kristy!

Here are many of my GF recipes or recipes with a GF option: http://ohsheglows.com/recipage/?search_term=gluten-free&ui=133&d=1 I hope this helps!

Stephanie Hasbrouck April 9, 2012

Since you listed cinnamon… Vietnamese cinnamon is the BEST! It’s so much more fragrant and sweeter than the cinnamon commonly used. I buy it in bulk and LOVE it! It will change your life. :–)

Duck April 9, 2012

Such a useful list! I also always have Beluga lentils to hand, I love how they retain their texture more on cooking. I also always keep a jar of toor dal, which is an Indian split pea type pulse that has been soaked in oil while dry. It makes the most delicious curries!

xx

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 9, 2012

That sounds so interesting :)

linda April 9, 2012

Angela,
    This post is awesome. I especially love the pdf list at the end. Thanks so much for taking the time to do it.

Green April 9, 2012

This list is very helpful. Where do you buy your kombu? and which variety? Its super expensive at WF. I came across your website around an year ago and love every dish thats green in color now. But still have to make my husband fall for green recipes. Any suggestions?

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2012

I think I picked it up from a health food store while in the US, but I cant remember exactly where. It’s hard to find around here. Im not sure on the variety either, but I will check that out.

Kathryn April 9, 2012

Angela,

Where do you get the raw buckwheat groats in Southern Ontario? I’ve tried a couple of BBs and only found kasha. I didn’t find it at a couple of the other natural bulk stores I tried either.

Thanks,

Kathryn

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 9, 2012

This is where I buy them : http://www.upayanaturals.com/Buckwheat_Groats_Sold_in_various_quantities_Raw_p/nfl-0655.htm in a BIG 10 pound bag! Lasts a long time.

Cortnie April 9, 2012

Thanks so much, Angela! It always helps to have someone give you a list. ;)

xo
    cortnie

erin @WELL in L.A. April 9, 2012

This is such a fun, informative post! My pantry needs a makeover before posting pics! Haha! I also love buying my staples from Amazon and this site: http://www.vitacost.com/. xo!

Jennifer Sikes April 9, 2012

I too just discovered coconut sugar but haven’t tried it yet, can’t wait to see what you do with it :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 9, 2012

My first experiment begins with G and end with an A ;) any guesses?

Kendra April 10, 2012

Yea on that recipe! I love using coconut sugar!

Carly Schutte April 9, 2012

This is great! Thanks for all the great information and ideas!

ariel April 9, 2012

being in southeast alaska, azure standard is where we buy our bulk….they are based out of OR….and i bet they even ship to canada :)

Destini April 9, 2012

I loved this post. And I loved it even more that you created a pdf document! I am recently switching slowly to a plant based diet, so this was the greatest timing.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 9, 2012

I’m glad you find it helpful Destini!

Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition April 9, 2012

So pretty! I’m not a big cook but I could just enjoy staring at all these delicious ingredients : )

Jeanine April 9, 2012

Love it! So I live in Canada too and a smaller town so not a lot of choices sometimes. Do you have any favorite Canadian companies that you buy online from or other companies that don’t have crazy shipping?

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 9, 2012

Hey Jeanine, I’m doing a bit of research on this and hope to compile a list soon :)

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit April 9, 2012

We could totally swap pantries! I have absolutely EVERYTHING you took pictures of!

Yellow Haired Girl April 9, 2012

I love this!! It’s nice to have a sneak peek into your pantry … it’s interesting to compare my groceries to yours. I’m surprised by how many similarities we have – I guess my habits have vastly improved :)

suzanne April 9, 2012

Great post! I am bummed to hear about brown rice – I ue the syrup often in granola and have been doing lots more gluten free baking so hae been using the flour. So discouraging when everything healthy ends up being not so!
    Look forward to hearing more about coconut sugar – just bought a case – but have yet to use it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2012

Hi Suzanne,

Apparently, not all rice products are created equal from what I read. Depending on where the BR is sourced from, that will impact the levels of arsenic dramatically. I definitely want to look into it more.

Maddi April 9, 2012

Your pantry is so neat! I love it! Where do you get all of your jars from? I would like to start organising mine in glass instead of plastic.

janet @ the taste space April 9, 2012

I use simple Mason jars.. they look very similar to those in Ange’s photos. Super cheap and widely available in major grocery stores.

This is what my pantry looks like with my jars filled with beans and grains: http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2011/09/09/skillet-toasted-corn-tomato-and-anasazi-bean-salad/

(Bulk Barn also has its plain spice jars half price this week… I scored 40 jars for $13!)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2012

I purchase the jars from Canadian Tire and Wal Mart…and some Kitchen stores :)

janet @ the taste space April 9, 2012

Nice list, Ange! In Toronto, my favourite vegan-friendly store is Ambrosia up in Thornhill, but it is quite far away. Definitely has the best prices in the city. My closest store is better Bulk on Danforth which I rather like – it is often cheaper than The Big Carrot, down the road. Online, I like Upaya althoguh they can be pricy. If I lived in the US, I would buy from iHerb and Rancho Gordo more often (too pricy to ship to Canada, unfortunately).

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2012

Hey Janet, Thanks for your suggestions! Just added all of them to my list :)

Claudia April 9, 2012

Dear Angela,
    Give me your kitchen :)
    Sincerely,
    Claudia

Annie April 9, 2012

Thank you very much for sharing!!

TiffanyG. April 9, 2012

Hi, Angela!
    Thank you SO MUCH times a billion for this post. I literally wrote everything down (ran out of printer ink today!). I love trying new things, but don’t want to buy a regular sized pack of any item until I’ve tried it and know I’ll like it. How to overcome this? Angela, I know you mentioned in a post from the past on here that you did a lot of research before switching to the vegan lifestyle. What research helped you out? Did you have cookbooks to help you out during the learning process? Internet recipes and guidance?
    If you used cookbooks or certain go-to websites to help you learn how to cook vegan foods, which ones were your absolute favorite, if you can remember? I am a terrible chef when it comes to tofu. Last 2 times I cooked it with FIRM or EXTRA firm tofu being used, total disaster. I refused to sample it and just tossed it out instead. I want to try again, but can’t seem to grasp the cooking mechanism. I know you press and drain it- so I placed it on paper towels and pressed it with a heavy recipe book while I prepared a spice mixture. I have stainless steel cookware (used to have nonstick until I worked up a scare with myself over the nonstick stuff causing cancer…). Is there a blender out there that is very close to be as good as Vitamix, but less expensive? I can’t seem to fathom spending almost $500 USD or more on a blender. /:
    What do you use if you use Almond Milk with cereal for breakfast? It seriously causes gas in my system and it is bothersome all day. You mentioned in this above blog that you can combine something with beans to aid digestion- can you use that same ingredient with almond milk & cereal?

Sorry for the question overload…. I’m still new to your site and actually found someone (you) that is willing to talk more in depth about the wonderful world of vegan-eating and more.

Thanks, Angela!
    I loved this post!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2012

Hey Tiffany,

Not to worry about the questions. I was there once too.
    1) Why not contact the companies and ask for a free sample? I find certain brands are usually more than willing to offer a sample (or will happily send coupons) if you explain why you are hesitant. If they are confident in their product, it shouldn’t be an issue because they know you will eventually buy more!
    2) I don’t have any specific books that I used, but I mainly just researched online and did a lot of reading. I have however, heard great things about this book: http://www.amazon.ca/Becoming-Vegan-Complete-Adopting-Plant-Based/dp/1570671036
    3) Tofu- I find that tofu can vary a LOT by brand. I too have tried certain firm or x-firm brands that I hated. They just seemed so mushy and fell apart when I pressed them. I think it’s good to find a brand that you like. Sometimes it just takes a bit of testing.
    4) Yes, the Oster blender is only around $40 and was rated #2 by Consumer Reports in 2010 (not sure what their 2011 study found). They rated it as second place next to vitamix. Worth checking out reviews of it on Amazon anyways.
    5) I’ve never had that prob with Almond milk, but maybe it would be worth trying out other milks (oat, hemp, rice, or soy) to see if you digest those better.

Take care and goodluck!

TiffanyG. April 10, 2012

Thanks, Angela!
    Just what I needed to hear. See, I had a brand new Black & Decker top-of-their-line blender and sometime earlier this year, I killed the thing. /: I really used it almost every day that it turned into some religious ritual or something. It couldn’t handle the hard work and now I’m searching for a better one. My dad has had an Oster blender for like 8 years now? That thing works like a champ, however my husband has this thing about jumping at $500 blenders so we never have to buy another replacement blender again. He’s right, but I’m DYING to have my smoothies again and it’s tough without them! Tofu, yeah I have that mushy issue as well. They fell apart when pressed, too and then when I fully cooked the sides of each sliced piece, they were mushy-ER than before cooked. Thanks for the input… helps a ton. You’re so generous to take time to answer our questions [:

Isabelle April 11, 2012

I have had a Black and Decker blender for nearly a year, and it’s really good so far. Does the job and it was not hugely expensive (around $60 I think)

Krystal Litt April 9, 2012

I love this! I’ve been building my vegan pantry for about 2 years now. I find something new that I don’t have in almost every recipe I try, which I love! One question though… Do you keep your nuts in the freezer? I always hear that you’re supposed to, but it doesn’t look like you do. I’d rather not, but will they spoil if I don’t?

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2012

A few others mentioned this too, so I’m going to look into it. I do have the room in my freezer so I won’t be totally bummed if I have to make the switch. :) Will report back!

Pam Bunting April 9, 2012

Hi Angela! Great post. I use similar products and brands. If anyone lives in the Newmarket-Aurora area, Natures Emporium is amazing. They even have a raw foods chef, a bakery (lots of gluten-free and vegan goodies) and food you can take out or eat there (and it’s a grocery store, all organic produce). Just down the street is Ambrosia, which now has organic produce and is a little less $$ than Natures.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2012

Hey Pam, Thanks for the great tips! Added to my list :)

Christine (The Raw Project) April 9, 2012

Wonderful post and love seeing that we have a lot of the same pantry goodies! :-)

Page 2 of 5«12345»