My Vegan Pantry

IMG 1981 thumb   My Vegan Pantry

One of the requests I receive often is to write a post on building a vegan pantry, providing a list of the ingredients that I use the most. I’m a bit embarrassed by how long this post has taken me to put together, but as they say, better late than never. Or is it better never than late…heh.

This post is by no means exhaustive (nor do I think you need all or even most in your own pantry), but it does highlight many of my favourite foods that I have relied on for about 3 years now. Feel free to use it as inspiration for your own pantry. I also haven’t included vegetables or fruit because my favourites tend to change based on the seasons. Underneath each photo, I’ll list the name of the foods from left to right. You can also click on each picture to enlarge the photo if you wish to have a closer view of the product.

This post will also be linked from the top of the blog (see: “My vegan Pantry”) for easy access. You’ll find a printable PDF at the bottom of this post so you can print the list out and bring it to the store as a shopping list if you want. I hope you find it useful.

My best tip for building a pantry is to buy in bulk whenever possible whether in store, online, and/or via a buying club such as with ONFC (see my note below for discussion). One of the great things about eating a vegan or vegetarian diet is that many of the staple foods we enjoy cost just pennies per serving. Once you have a good base of grains, spices, and legumes built up the rest is just icing on the cake.

IMG 8901 thumb   My Vegan Pantry

Grains:

• Pearled Barley
  • Couscous
  • Rolled, Old-Fashioned Oats
  • Short-grain brown rice
  • Millet
  • Wild & brown rice
  • Speltberries
  • Not shown: Farro, kamut & brown rice pastas

Some of my fav flours:

• whole wheat pastry flour
  • light spelt flour
  • oat flour
  • almond meal or almond flour
  • kamut flour
  • brown rice flour

IMG 8906   My Vegan Pantry

Buckwheat is in a class of its own. It can be used just like a grain, but it’s technically a fruit seed (and often called a “pseudocereal”). I buy Raw Buckwheat Groats, which differ in flavour from kasha (toasted buckwheat). Personally, I prefer the flavour of raw buckwheat.

One of my favourite ways to enjoy raw buckwheat is in this raw, no cook breakfast porridge. It’s sooo good and fun for spring and summer mornings. You can also blend it up at night and there is no work in the morning, similar to vegan overnight oats.

IMG 8745   My Vegan Pantry

IMG 8904   My Vegan Pantry

Beans/Legumes:

• Quinoa (technically a pseudocereal, but since it’s a complete protein I list it here)
  • Black Beluga Lentils
  • Chickpeas
  • Red Lentils
  • Black Beans
  • Green Lentils
  • Firm or Super firm organic, non-GMO tofu
  • Not shown: Red kidney beans, navy beans, black eyed peas, split peas, edamame
  • You might also want to try cooking beans with a piece of kombu to aid digestion

IMG 8902 thumb   My Vegan Pantry

Nuts: (all raw)

• Macadamia
  • Almonds
  • Pecans
  • Walnuts
  • Cashews

IMG 8905 thumb   My Vegan Pantry

Seeds & Dried Fruit: (seeds are all raw)

• Pepita Seeds

• Organic Red Wine Vinegar

IMG 9091   My Vegan Pantry

Oils:

• Spectrum cold-pressed Olive Oil spray
  • Cold pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Unrefined Safflower Oil or toasted sesame oil
  • Occasionally, soy-free Earth Balance in the red tub.
  • Not shown: cold-pressed organic extra virgin coconut oil

fullsize   My Vegan Pantry

[image source]

IMG 8912   My Vegan Pantry

Sweeteners:

(I stock a lot since I’m big into baking)

• Raw Agave
  • Organic Molasses
  • Pure Maple Syrup
  • Brown Rice Syrup (unfortunately controversial right now, due to discoveries of arsenic in some syrups and other brown rice products)
  • Organic Dark Brown Sugar
  • Organic Sucanat sugar
  • Organic Cane Sugar
  • Raw Coconut Sugar
  • Medjool Dates

IMG 8911   My Vegan Pantry

At first glance, you might think that sugar is vegan, but unfortunately some brands use animal bone char to whiten the sugar. Yet another reason to move away from refined & bleached white sugar whenever possible.

I’ve also recently discovered coconut sugar, but I’ll be talking about that in another post.

IMG 9079   My Vegan Pantry

IMG 9086   My Vegan Pantry

IMG 8914   My Vegan Pantry

Chocolate certainly deserves its own category!

• Camino Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
  • Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips (I enjoy the mini chips much more than the chunks actually)
  • I often end up buying my chocolate chips in bulk though and just make sure they don’t contain dairy
  • Cacao nibs
  • Carob Powder (I buy from Bulk Barn)
  • Camino Cocoa Powder

IMG 9081   My Vegan Pantry

Odds & Ends:

• Nut & seed butters: Sweetened sunflower seed butter, raw almond butter, roasted natural PB
  • Almond Milk (I usually buy “unsweetened, original” for ease of use in recipes)
  • Unsweetened applesauce
  • Full fat coconut milk
  • Light coconut milk
  • Not shown: Coconut Butter (I often make my own)

IMG 9084   My Vegan Pantry

Odds & Ends Part II

• Nutritional Yeast
  • BPA-free Canned Beans
  • Strained Tomatoes
  • White Linen Collection Marinara Sauce from Costco
  • Low-Sodium Veggie Broth (or bouillon cubes for more cost savings)
  • Not shown: Low-sodium tamari, Aluminum-free baking powder, Cornstarch or arrowroot flour

Finally, my spice collection- which went from virtually nothing 5 years ago to a big and growing collection at present day. My love for spices grows as I experiment more in the kitchen. There is never any need to eat boring & bland food on a healthy diet.

IMG 9088 thumb   My Vegan Pantry

My spice collection:

(I put a star beside the ones I use most frequently)

• anise seed
  • cinnamon*
  • cream of tartar
  • cumin*
  • curry masala*
  • dill*
  • dry mustard
  • Fine and coarse sea salt*
  • garam masala*
  • garlic powder*
  • ginger*
  • ground cardamom
  • ground cloves
  • ground coriander seed
  • ground nutmeg
  • Herbamare***
  • kelp granule
  • Kosher salt* (unbleached, better flavour than regular table salt)
  • marjoram
    • smoked paprika*
    • star anise
    • thyme leaves
    • turmeric
    • Whole Black peppercorns*

IMG 9089 thumb   My Vegan Pantry

For a printable PDF of this list, click here.

Finally, I’d love to have a discussion about vegan-friendly stores (both online and in person) to purchase food products. I think a list of resources would be wonderful for new vegans and long-time vegans alike, especially when price-comparing and trying to save a few bucks.

If you’d like to join in on the discussion and offer your suggestions or even ask a question on where to find something, feel free to do so below! I will help as much as I can and I’m sure many of you have great pieces of advice too!

Jasper @ crunchylittlebites April 9, 2012

I cannot find brown rice syrup or brown rice flour :(

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 9, 2012

I buy brown rice flour from Bulk Barn, not sure if you have one near, but bulk food stores should have it. Also check the natural food or GF section of grocery stores.

As for BRS, I buy mine from ONFC usually, but you can find it in many grocery stores (check in the natural food section), health food stores, Whole Foods, and online.

Jasper @ crunchylittlebites April 9, 2012

thank you, Angela! I tell you, living in the USA sure makes me want to start a Bulk Barn here because you get so much of your fun stuff from there! Not sure why I’ve not thought to look online, thank you!

Peggy May 20, 2012

Bulk Barn and President’s Choice are what I miss most the past 11 years living in the states.

:o( Peggy

Kami July 12, 2012

Not sure if you have a Kroger’s or Fred Meyer’s near buy, but their organic section now carries brown rice syrup!

Maureen April 9, 2012

What is ONFC?

Elise May 31, 2012

ONFC – Ontario Natural Food Co-op (www.onfc.ca)

Kathleen Ryan June 6, 2014

I have just bought some from Sobey’s, a New Brunswick store.

Lisa Frank April 13, 2012

Jasper, I’m not sure what stores are near you, but I can find brown rice flour in bulk at Fred Meyer/Kroegers.

Jasper {crunchylittlebites} April 14, 2012

The Krogers we have here in NC don’t have bulk bins, though I wish they did! I am heading to WF to look for some today. Thank you Lisa!

Jen April 15, 2012

http://www.iherb.com They have EVERYTHING all natural from groceries to bath products! Use not575 on your first purchase and receive 5$ off! Promise I’m real, they’re an awesome site.

Aldene Nicole April 26, 2012

try looking at Fred Meyer or if you have one a local co-op

Meesh April 9, 2012

Great post! I have a lot of this stuff, which makes me happy….haha I look up to you when it comes to anything vegan! You rock :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 9, 2012

Thank you, glad you find it helpful!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh April 9, 2012

I am definitely printing out your list! I love posts like these to give me some new ideas when a rut inevitably pops up!

Ellie @ healthy belly ellie April 9, 2012

Very useful post! Thanks! ;)

Natalie April 9, 2012

I love this post and would love a discussion about where to buy and price comparisons. For me, that’s the biggest hurdle to vegan eating… some of the products just seem ridiculous in price!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 9, 2012

Thanks for the suggestion. I agree that would be very helpful!

S. Williams April 9, 2012

Hi Angela. I love the Wholesome Sweetners brand natural cane sugar in my tea and for baking. I am trying to save a few pennies on quinoa and nut butters. Is there an online source that you can recommend for purchasing these items? Thanks

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 9, 2012

Once I started making my own nut butter, I rarely buy it from a store now (with exception to sunbutter because I’ve had too many sunflower seed butter disasters in my food processor…lol). If you have a good quality processor, I would say to try it out. It’s easier than it seems and I have a few recipes on my blog (raw almond butter for a basic one or try roasted almond butter with hemp, flax and chia) I will make a batch and it lasts a long time in the fridge. I made a batch of nut butter for a recipe in my book and it has lasted almost two MONTHS in my fridge. I like to buy nuts in bulk to save even more money.

Not sure if you are in Canada or not, but I just found this list of online stores: http://veg.ca/directory/list/online-shopping

For quinoa, I buy it usually from Ontario Natural Food Coop, you can get a membership if you have a food biz or you can participate in a buying club. Crazy good deals from them. I imagine you can find it online for cheaper than in stores, but I havent looked for that yet.

Maureen April 9, 2012

It would be nice to find out who in your own area is in a coop that we could join. I looked into one once but you needed to get a group together which I found difficult.

Lea April 9, 2012

I noticed that you mentioned that you sometimes make your own coconut butter. Seeing as you have a vitamix, have you ever tried making your own coconut milk???? If so, what did you think??

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 9, 2012

Hey Lea, No I haven’t, but would like to try it out. I had a bad experience trying to crack a coconut before so I’m a bit scared. haha

Lea April 10, 2012

I am impressed that you tried to crack a coconut….but I am talking about making coconut milk from dried coconut with your vitamix. It works quite well. I am still experimenting but right now I am doing 1/2 cup dried to 1 cup of water – 2-3 mins in vitamix on high. Strain out pulp like you would yogurt. (I use a permanent coffee filter rather than cheesecloth). What’s left over once dried is coconut flour. As I make only what I need at the time, I just throw the pulp in my morning smoothie….no waste. Here are a couple of websites explaining the process in more detail. The first one is where I started. Each person uses different ratios of coconut and water ( yesterday I noticed on a commercial box of coconut milk a 60:40 ratio of water to coconut)…so anyway if you want to try it start small… find your bliss….. Beats crackin’ a coconut….

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2012

Aw that sounds easier than what I was thinking! I will have to try it out. Thanks Lea!

Eve April 9, 2012

Your new pantry shelves really display all the glass jars so nicely! I always try and comment on posts like this to say that red kidney beans are probably something to avoid cooking from scratch – they are toxic and if cooked improperly (like in a crock pot or at too low a heat) will make you VERY sick. They are the one bean likely best purchased canned, just to be safe!

Cyndi April 9, 2012

As long as you soak them for 5 hours, bring to a boil and boil for 10 minutes with some baking powder, then rinse and boil again for 40 minutes or longer, (which is standard procedure for all dried beans – boiling times may vary) you won’t have a problem. It’s only a problem if you eat raw beans. Some canned goods contain BPA, and dried beans are so cheap it makes no sense to boycott red kidney beans. Just boil them properly. I have boiled them so many times and never had this problem.

Eve April 9, 2012

You’re totally right, but I think a lot of people don’t know this! I sure didn’t and I had a bad run in with them and only after google-searching what might have made me sick did I learn about it. So weird!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 9, 2012

Thanks Eve and Cyndi, great points worth sharing.

Katie Gibbs April 9, 2012

For anyone else living in Ontario, I highly recommend joining or starting an ONFC buying club. I’ve been a member of one for years and the food is WAY cheaper than at the store. You can find more info here: http://www.onfc.ca/buyingclub/home

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 9, 2012

agree, I buy from them too and the savings are huge. Def. check in your area (even if outside of Ontario) for buying clubs.

Linda January 11, 2014

Any idea how to find out if there is already an established buying club in your area? I definitely don’t have the time to start one, but would love to join one!

Katie January 13, 2014

Just email to see. You can find contact into at the bottom of this page. http://www.onfc.ca/buyingclub/home

kaila @ healthyhelper! April 9, 2012

My pantry looks pretty similar to yours actually! Guess I eat pretty vegan even though I’m not LOL!

Michaela April 9, 2012

Your pantry is my dream pantry!! So organized, with so many wholesome foods!!
    I’d love to know where some of the best places in Toronto to buy vegan products.
    I would try whole foods, but it’s a bit far from me, and some of the prices are quite high.

Any tips for being a vegan without breaking the bank?!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 9, 2012

Thanks for your suggestions Michaela! Im putting together a list now and hope to put it up on the blog at some point.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 9, 2012

I think our pantries could be twins! I also keep chickpea flour, chia seeds, and peanut flour on0hand at all times.

love that chocolate got it’s on category. :)

hah me too.

Where do you buy peanut flour? Thats something I’ve never come across in Canada.

Cassie April 9, 2012

Dear Angela,

Thank You for opening up your pantry to us readers.Mine looks similar to yours and still growing.. Everything i have in my pantry comes from reading your blog over time and trying out the recipes, at first i thought that is way to0 expensive, but in the end i realized that it is cheaper and healthier. Your an amazing and inpsirational person . I haved changed my eating all because of you..I dont consider myself vegan although that is the way i eat 90% of the time..there is no label to how a person eats.

I was at Qi Natural Foods ( located between bathurst st and Allen Rd along Eglington avenue west.Toronto.(416-784-0459) last thursday and i think i saw the peanut flour or PB flour .not sure if it is the same thing.You can call to confirm.

Here is something to try also. Coconut Nectar(-_-) It resembles Brown rice flour, Its gluten free 100% Organic, GMO Free, Fat Free and vegan. its a low gylcemic sweetener. i use it in my pancakes and topping for my oatmeal….
    Just thought i would share that with you….Have a great day.

xo
    Cassie

Cary April 9, 2012

Trader Joes carries peanut flour

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2012

I wish we had TJ’s!

Natasha April 11, 2012

I haven’t been able to find it in Canada so I order it online. I use it ALL the time. So worth it!

Amanda April 16, 2012

I’ve found it at Asian/Indian super markets.

Steph April 9, 2012

What a great post thanks so much!

Danica April 9, 2012

Thank you for this list! So helpful and the mason jars idea is great!

For anybody like me who would probably mix up the flours you can check out the martha stewart line of labels at staples

Valeria April 11, 2012

Hi Angela,
    you and your blog are such an inspiration to me. I turned vegetarian recently and am still reading and googling a lot trying to figure out nutrition facts and how to keep a healthy and balanced diet. Things like how much beans, nuts, seitan or tofu in a week, which foods to combine, etc..
    I regularly visit your blog searching for recipe inspiration (and am always amazed by your delicious creations) but now I was wondering if you would like to share, from a personal experience not from a nutritionist/dietist point of view, some tips about eating correct proportions of each nutrient.
    What is your meal planning like? I think a real report from a regular vegan person would add so much information to any vegetarian/vegan books written by doctors.
    Sorry for bothering you so much.. :) but I also wanted to ask you one last thing.
    I searched on your blog more information about tofu. Like you, I tried it a few times and didn’t like it much, but I want to give it another try. In my local grocery shop they have tons of types, and my head spins trying to understand which one I should go for and how to cook it. I read that seitan contains some amino acids which might cause calcium loss so it’s recommended to have it max 2-3 times a week. This is why I got more curious about tofu, which seems to be fully healthy compared to seitan. Do you have any suggestions about tofu?
    Thanx a lot again, I wish you a lovely day.

Cheers,
    Valeria

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 12, 2012

Hey Valeria,

Thank you for your kind words! That means so much to me. :) Congrats on your recent shift to vegetarian too.
    As for meal planning, I don’t do it. Is that weird? haha. I just find that I never make time and I’m not a big planner when it comes to my personality.
    Regarding tofu, I’ve had a lot of duds with certain brands and ever cooking techniques. I say, keep trying. I find some firm tofu brands aren’t really that firm….you just need to test some out to see which you like. The really firm ones will press wonderfully. I like a simple pan fry or to really impress- try out my breaded tofu strips…my all time fav. Take care!

Adrienne July 24, 2012

Nasoya makes a super firm cubed that is great if you can find it. Also, my trader joes just started carrying a super firm that’s good too

Tracy April 9, 2012

I need to work on organizing my pantry, yours looks amazing!
    Costco is great for many vegan friendly staples- I just picked up a 32oz jar of MaraNatha almond butter at a price that made me very happy. I also purchase my medjool dates, a variety of nuts, and other unsulfured dried fruits from Costco.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 9, 2012

don’t be fooled, I had to dig all that crap out of my cupboards mostly. It’s a bit chaotic in there since moving. ;)

Yes Costco has a big selection for foods like that.

Averie @ Averie Cooks April 9, 2012

You are so organized, Angela, and thanks for sharing all your goodies with us..and so impressed that so soon after moving in you are ready to go, full speed ahead, totally organized! (I am the same way after moving, too…must get it all ready, asap!)

Taylor @ Nuts for Apples April 9, 2012

So helpful! I need to invest in jars like yours and also need to get my spices organized once & for all!

Trainer Kjirsten April 9, 2012

I love how organized you are! I love most of your pantry staples are in mason jars! It makes for such a clean and neat look!

char eats greens April 9, 2012

I’m super shocked you like the mini chips instead of the Enjoy Life chunks. I love the chunks because I’ll usually eat a chunk with each almond…probably not a good ratio, but hey, every once in a while ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 9, 2012

hah love that idea. :) I don’t mind the “chunk” aspect of them, but for some reason I find the mini chips taste better?

Jamie April 9, 2012

I love both the mini and the chunks, but you are so right… the minis have a better flavor for some reason. I have been perplexed by that for a while because the ingredients are the same. Strange :)

Lindsay April 9, 2012

This is great! I would love some help on where to buy bulk online. We recently moved to Pennsylvania and there are no big health food stores within 2 hours. Also, CSA and what to look for to find a good one.

Ileana April 9, 2012

Wow, what a list. What’s your rule of thumb for deciding which sweetener to use in a recipe?

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 9, 2012

Great question! How did you know I was just thinking about this the other day?
    It depends on a lot of things, such as what type of baked good I am making. If I’m making rice crispies or granola bars that need to stick together I’ll often go for brown rice syrup because it helps bind them. Traditional cookies- dry sweeteners usually to retain that crisp factor. Sucanat is great in cookies, but it can dry out other baked goods, so I use it with caution. Pure maple syrup is my go to for lots of baked goods, I find it so versatile and amazing in muffins and quick breads. Also great flavour. If Im making something no bake I love to use medjool dates…helps everything stick together and you don’t get a grainy feel from dry sugar. Does this make any sense? lol. I kind of just feel out my options when I begin and go from there. Or othertimes, I will be testing a recipe and try one sweetener only to find it didnt work out great and have to use another in a second trial.

Ileana April 24, 2012

Yes, it makes sense. Thank you for the tips!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 24, 2012

suzi fishman April 9, 2012

How smart! printing this list to share with my “one day soon” clients! Do you actually write on those little spice jars or add labels to identify what they are and the date you got them? really great idea, as i am always shuffling through my drawer!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 9, 2012

I hope you find it helpful Suzi :)

Yes I write the name under the lid on a sticky pabel…unless it’s a really obvious one like chickpeas or whatnot.

Krishna woods April 9, 2012

Hi, I have spent weeks looking at your facebook and many other pages/blogs like yours… I am so overwhelmed by the clean eating and/or vegan lifestyle. So much so that I have not bought a thing. Could you put together a simple breakfast lunch dinner and maybe some snacks. I don’t mind eating the same thing everyday until I can learn more and buy more.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 9, 2012

This is actually a great idea for a post! Thanks for the idea. I definitely understand how overwhelming it can be.

My go to easy breakfasts: Vegan overnight oats & Green Monsters (see recipage: for recipes) http://ohsheglows.com/recipage/

Lunch ideas: 1) wraps/sandwich with avocado, veggies, hummus + easy trail mix (raisins, seeds, nuts) + fresh fruit, etc. 2) Huge salad filled with veggies, beans, seeds, dried fruit, etc + roll or bread 3) Leftovers (I often make big dinners on purpose so I have leftovers for lunch), 4) high protein tortilla pizzas: http://ohsheglows.com/recipage/?recipe_id=6002952

Dinner ideas: 15 minute creamy avocado pasta is always an easy one with minimal ingredients or see these recipes for more: http://ohsheglows.com/recipage/?search_term=entree&ui=133&c=1 The Creamy Tomato Barley Risotto is another go-to of mine.

mc April 9, 2012

Hi Angela,

This post is terrific.

If you are looking for a suggestion for another post, I would love to know how you suggest readers can better find the time to cook healthy. I realize you are around the kitchen more than most considering that you are working on the cookbook, but as a single mom working fulltime and commuting from Oakville to Toronto daily, I am running into real trouble having a wide variety of healthy food available when I want something without spending most of Sunday in the kitchen prepping for the week or buying expensive and questionably healthy pre-made foods. I know some things I can freeze fully cooked, but what recipies work best and are quickest to defrost, or even better can be eaten semi-frozen? What lasts in the fridge for several days? And considering I am sitting here with a not too healthy sandwich in front of me at the moment, what can I pack for a brown paper lunch that won’t get soggy or linger in the stale office air or on my breath for hours? Your suggestions (possibly in a post or series of posts) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    MC

Sarah April 9, 2012

Anglea actually wrote 2 posts about some great make ahead lunches :) Part 1 and Part 2. Just go to the search bar and type in “5 Make-Ahead vegan and Gluten-Free Lunches” and they should both come up!! They’re really easy and super time saving if you can spare a couple hours prepping on Sunday, and Delicious too of course :)

mc April 9, 2012

Thanks – I’ll definitely search them out!

Hey MC,

Thanks so much for your comment. I can certainly imagine how difficult it is for you juggling everything that you are. Kudos to you for making such a big effort to eat well even with a hectic schedule. I will definitely put my thinking cap on. I tend to fall off the healthy dinner train relying on packaged foods too much and so this is something I have been thinking about too.

Tricia April 9, 2012

Thank you for that helpful list. We appreciate the work involved. Someone asked about sources and prices. My Costco doesn’t serve me well for a lot of my necessary items, especially organic. I find several bulk items at Amazon (Food and Grocery) but I like Vitacost.com, too. They have a huge selection of staples like oils – as well as nice palm/soy candles etc – at much less than retail, with low flat rate shipping (at least within the USA). Thanks again, Angela. Great blog.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 9, 2012

Thanks Tricia, will def add those to the list I’m making :)

Britny W April 9, 2012

If you or anyone else decides to try out Vitacost.com, here is my referral link which will give you $10 off your first purchase! I love getting things like whole wheat pastry flour and other vegan snacks that I can’t get in Mississippi.

Britny W April 9, 2012
    Deirdre April 9, 2012

This is awesome! I’m going to print the pdf…thank you for putting this together. For whatever reason seeing it pushes me toward making it more of a reality.

Sara April 9, 2012

Do you keep your flours and nuts in the fridge? I have read mixed reviews about this online, thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 9, 2012

No I don’t usually and to be honest I haven’t read up on this much. I tend to go through things quickly so I guess I don’t bother too, but now you have me intrigued to read up on it more. I do keep hemp seeds in the fridge now though.

Ricki April 9, 2012

I’d keep them in the fridge if you’re not going to use them within a week or so. Once the nuts/seeds are ground, the delicate volatile oils are exposed to air and light, which can degrade the quality and turn them rancid very quickly. For anything with polyunsaturated oils in it, you should either buy the whole nut/seed or else store in the fridge to prevent damage and oxidation. :)

Natasha April 11, 2012

All my stuff (flours/nuts/seeds) are in the fridge or freezer. I read your supposed to too, but it does take up a lot of space!

Alex @ Raw Recovery April 9, 2012

Oh I’m SO glad you wrote this post because it’s incredibly helpful. Trader Joe’s has some great vegan products (my favorite is their edamame hummus and unsweetened dried mango). Thankfully I have one close by but they aren’t too common out in Colorado and I don’t believe they have any locations in Canada, though I could be mistaken. I’m glad that a lot of regular grocery stores now have organic sections where you can find a lot of vegan products.

Adrienne (The Cute Vegan) July 24, 2012

I absolutely love trader joes! Their website has a vegan product list I believe. Also, their products are so clearly labeled vegan!

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles April 9, 2012

Great post, Angela! Very helpful!

Melinda April 9, 2012

This is great to get people started on stocking their pantries. I love to shop my local food co-ops for most of my bulk grains, legumes, spices and baking staples. You can often grind your own peanut, almond or cashew butter in the store.

Domenico April 9, 2012

Amazing, looks great and very organized. I have been meaning to do the same. Thank you for sharing. Post more. Visual post have more impact and it is easy to follow/ copy.
    Ciao Domenico

Lauren@ Inside My Present April 9, 2012

What a great reference- even if you’re not vegan. Gives me a great list of things to stock up on and new things to try!

AdrienneCarolyn April 9, 2012

Great post! You and I have so many of the same items! Unfortunately my cupboards aren’t as pretty…random tupperware and jars and baggies of a million different nuts/seeds/beans etc…I know you shop at Bulk Barn but you should try Kensington Market when you’re in Toronto next. Some of the shops have the craziest selections of bulk goods! Dried kiwi, for example, is my new favorite treat :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 9, 2012

Oh wow I haven’t been there, but would love to go! Is it open year round or just during warmer months?

AdrienneCarolyn April 10, 2012

It’s open all year round. There are specialty shops, great restos like Urban Herbivore, bakeries, and other ethnic food shops. There are a couple of great grocery stores too that carry all the organic packaged foods and beauty/home stuff for WAY cheaper than Whole Foods. I recommend going on a Sunday morning. On Sundays cars aren’t allowed so it’s great to stroll around! It’s my fave thing to do in the spring/summer!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2012

Thank you so much! Maybe I’ll bump into you one day :)

sabina April 10, 2012

Car-Free Sundays in Kensington only run from May – October, on the last Sunday of the month.

doe mora April 9, 2012

Thanks for a great blog and fabulous recipes!
    I’d like to suggest that, when arriving home with beans/legumes/grains that they be stored in the freezer initially for 48-72 hours. Whether organic or commercial, freezing reduces the chances of one day finding your pantry infested (ugh, the hair on my arms just stood straight up from the memory!).

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 9, 2012

Really? I hadn’t heard of that before, but I will have to look into it.

Natasha April 11, 2012

Brittany just went through this! I didn’t know before either but I’ll be doing it now!!

Jessica @ Chockohlawtay April 9, 2012

you have the pantry of my dreams… so organized, so healthy!

Cait's Plate April 9, 2012

Loved this post! And I’m so obsessed with storing my food in mason jars…it’s just so pretty to see all the different items :)

I agree :)

Adrienne (The Cute Vegan) July 24, 2012

I’m working on phasing out my Ball jar lids. I found out the disks contain BPA:(
    So I have been putting them in upside down. Unfortunately the seal isn’t as good that way.

Katie @ Creature of Habit April 9, 2012

It can be a pain but I find the most effective way to grocery shop is to hit a few stores. I find Trader Joe’s has most vegan staples cheaper than health food stores but we have a regional store called Fresh and Easy that has the best value on produce. More effort, yes, but worth it to have all the things I need without breaking the bank.

And regarding expensive vegan items, most of those actually last a long time. Coconut oil, for example, was something I avoided for a long time because I thought it was too pricy but my $7 jar has lasted me for months and I probably use it every day. Think value over time.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 9, 2012

Looks like we have some very similar staples! I also just bought some coconut sugar and plan to find a use for it at some point – hello impulse buy lol! I think you and I could probably compete on who has the most spice jars in their kitchen, although yours look much more organized than mine currently do! ;)

Abby April 9, 2012

This is great!! Being and newbie and trying to transition this is very helpful. I have a handful of these items but certainly not all.

Shanda Bezzant April 9, 2012

I paid $5 for a bag of dairy free chocolate chips over the weekend! I put them in healthy muffins and my kIds will eat them for breakfast and snacks. I would love a shopping post to comPare prices or even if you listed your price points for items that would be helpful to know if I’m getting ripped off or not!

Page 1 of 512345»