Living & Dining Room: Before and After Pictures

IMG 8432   Living & Dining Room: Before and After Pictures

As promised our furniture arrived on Friday…it was quite the exciting day.

This is the first living/dining furniture that Eric and I have purchased new in the 12 years that we’ve been together; everything else we had was a hand me down from family or bought on Craigslist. Exciting indeed. Oddly enough, all the furniture we got rid of in this last move went back to our family, friends, and neighbours (and friend’s neighbours).

Dave and Ewa gave us a bunch of their furniture when we moved into our old house, including a couch. Now it looks like we’re going to give them our current brown sectional couch since it’s too big for our current living area.

It’s the furniture that keeps on giving.

As I mentioned, we ordered from Heritage Furniture in Burlington – a local family owned and operated business. I believe Dave and Ewa were the ones who told us about this place after we drooled over their new furniture a few years ago. One of the sons of Heritage, Shawn (not sure on spelling), told us that he started working there when he was just 8 years old and he’s now in his forties! The service is friendly (not pushy, which is something that puts us off in some furniture stores) and down to earth. Shawn also offered to help Eric and I with antiquing our wood photography boards…you know, in his “down time”. How’s that for nice?

By the way, I don’t get any sort of discount for saying that (nor on any reviews, unless otherwise stated). I just truly love this place.

IMG 8405   Living & Dining Room: Before and After Pictures

The furniture is also excellent quality – Canadian made from recycled and reclaimed wood. No particle board is used.

And my oh my, does it ever smell good.

The furniture’s arrival also meant that we could finally unpack the rest of the boxes on the main level and hang artwork & mirrors.

IMG 8437   Living & Dining Room: Before and After Pictures

Sketchie was clearly overjoyed that we were disturbing his space yet again.

We bought the smallest table they had in this collection (I think it’s the “Irish Collection”) and it expands if necessary. I actually think it’s the perfect size and not small by any means.

IMG 8440   Living & Dining Room: Before and After Pictures

We picked the “Jamaican Sunset” stain, which has a warm antique and rustic look to it.

IMG 8409   Living & Dining Room: Before and After Pictures

IMG 8410   Living & Dining Room: Before and After Pictures

Instead of getting matching chairs, we opted for antiqued black chairs for contrast and to pull from the black in the table.

IMG 8411   Living & Dining Room: Before and After Pictures

I love to watch home shows on TV and one thing the experts say over and over is that you can create “mini rooms” or “areas” even if it’s one open room. We decided to put the “dining area” on the far side of the room, since I would be using the table for photography and there is a ton of natural, glorious light on both sides.

IMG 8555   Living & Dining Room: Before and After Pictures

This is the wine cabinet, located right across from the dining table. I’ve never owned a cabinet and I have to say it’s one of the best things to happen to my life since Green Monsters.

The wine boxes are removable, so we moved them on top to free up some cabinet space.

IMG 8404   Living & Dining Room: Before and After Pictures

The bottom cabinet holds my photography dishes:

IMG 8424   Living & Dining Room: Before and After Pictures

and on the top shelves, other dishes I wanted to display as well as my cookbook collection.

IMG 8431   Living & Dining Room: Before and After Pictures

Unfortunately I packed my cookbook box way too heavy because I hurt my knee trying to lift it. You know the saying, lift with your knees (or is it lift with your legs?) Yea, I think I took that too literally. I’m not sure what I did, but I felt a sharp pain on the inner right knee.

I’m currently resting and icing it, hoping that it will get better before my races start up again in a couple weeks. I don’t think I tore anything, but it’s a dull ache that goes on and off throughout the day. I hope with rest it heals up or I may have to pay a visit to my sports doctor. As for me, no running until the knee feels back to normal. Not the best news, but there is no sense worrying about something out of my control.

Anyways, I absolutely adore my cookbooks, even if they do hurt me! Just seeing them on the shelf makes me so happy.

IMG 8422 thumb   Living & Dining Room: Before and After Pictures  IMG 8429 thumb   Living & Dining Room: Before and After Pictures

Eric also hung the dish display next to the cabinet (from Pier 1 last year). I might finish off the area with a small circular rug in between the cabinet and table, but I’ll have to see.

IMG 2820   Living & Dining Room: Before and After Pictures

Now onto the living area!

IMG 8467   Living & Dining Room: Before and After Pictures

One tip I picked up is to create spaces by using area rugs to define the boundaries of the room. It works quite nicely as a “frame” for the space.

The coffee table has a lot of storage with two long drawers and space underneath. It’s all about the extra storage with furniture.

IMG 2774   Living & Dining Room: Before and After Pictures

Eric is storing all kinds of manly things in the TV cabinet. I think I saw shot glasses and a bottle of tequila in there already…no joke. We still have to set up our old family room TV. This one here will be going upstairs probably.

IMG 8466   Living & Dining Room: Before and After Pictures

All together:

IMG 2817   Living & Dining Room: Before and After Pictures

I’m still rocking green for the accent colour!

More artwork to fill up the plain walls.

IMG 2818   Living & Dining Room: Before and After Pictures

Our Ikea Hemnes Sofa Table is now in the office, where we will use it for storage.

IMG 2780   Living & Dining Room: Before and After Pictures

Before:

IMG 82581   Living & Dining Room: Before and After Pictures

After:

IMG 2814   Living & Dining Room: Before and After Pictures

Instead of feeling like a rental, it now feels like our home. While it’s different in many ways from our old house, change can be a good thing sometimes.

Someone else has also settled right in over the past few days. He now walks around like he owns the place!

IMG 2767   Living & Dining Room: Before and After Pictures

Well, I think my server may die if I post one more picture today, so the laundry, hallways, bedroom, and bathroom will have to wait. They will be coming up!

Oh, and recipes too..don’t you worry…

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh March 27, 2012

That looks absolutely gorgeous! I love that you did black chairs with the table. I’m also glad to see your expansive food blog dishes, it makes me feel less weird about mine! LOL (Am I the only one that sees a sale at West Elm, World Market or Anthro and gasps with glee over a new bowl or plate?)

Looks great and glad Sketchie is finding a proper place to stretch out. ;)

Annie@stronghealthyfit March 27, 2012

It looks great- I love the huge windows in your living room!

Laura Peill March 27, 2012

Wow you guys have made so much progress! Congrats and it looks awesome!

Kalee March 27, 2012

All of the wood pieces are gorgeous; I’m going to need your dining room table!

Stephanie @ Legally Blinde March 27, 2012

Wow, you have gotten so much accomplished!! This room looks really great. I love the look of your table – the wood is beautiful. The couch and coffee table look great together, and I love the pops of green throughout the room. I also love your mini Le Creuset casseroles – so adorable. I hope your knee gets better soon! That must be frustrating, but it sounds like you have a good attitude about it. Looking forward to seeing your other rooms (and remaining in awe over how much you’ve done!).

Yellow Haired Girl March 27, 2012

I love it! The table is gorgeous!

Danielle March 27, 2012

It looks beautiful! Seeing cookbooks on display always makes me happy too.. And then makes me want to run to the kitchen and cook all the recipes I’ve put post-it notes on!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 27, 2012

Ooooh wow Ange, it looks great! I think your bright cushions on the couch pop even more now that there’s more light in the room. The dining room table and the cabinet with the wine compartments are gorgeous!! Your setup looks like it should be in a home magazine! :)

Morgan @ Life After Bagels March 27, 2012

when I saw that cabinet for all your bowls and stuff I thought “uh oh a cabinet for crazy dish lady” hahaha … I YEARN for all your crazy dishes … maybe when I have a house – Toronto apartments are not crazy dish friendly :P

Angela March 27, 2012

Eric said, “Thank God I don’t have to look at those things mixed in with our regular dishes anymore” hah.

Brittney March 27, 2012

I love the antique look of your table! Beautiful. Your living room looks awesome. I know it’s a lot of work to pack and unpack and clear all clutter after you move. But it’s exciting too! :)

Amanda March 27, 2012

I love the open layout of your new home! When my husband and I eventually buy a place, we’d really like to have the kitchen be open to the living room. Also, your new furniture is beautiful. I really like the rustic wood finishes.

Leah @ Chocolate and Wild Air March 27, 2012

Totally jealous of your dish and cookbook collection!! Both look awesome

Radha March 27, 2012

What a lovely living space! Looks cozy.

Jessica March 27, 2012

OMG, the first picture of the living area with the table on left and couch towards the right literally looks like it could be in a magazine! Gorgeous! I am SO jealous of your beautiful space. And I would kill for your kitchen table.

Angela March 27, 2012

Now Im going to have to find the picture you are talking about…heh. Thank you though. I think it’s the lighting!

Jessica March 28, 2012

The one under ‘now onto the living area’. SO jealous of your taste!!

Meredith March 27, 2012

Thank you for the Heritage Furniture tip! My husband and I searched high and low for quality, solid-wood furniture when we moved to Toronto two years ago. It isn’t easy to find! I think we’ll be making a trip to Burlington in the near future :)

Your place looks beautiful! It must feel small post-house, but it looks really spacious.

Angela March 27, 2012

Let me know what you think of it. They have a fun showroom.

katie@ KatieDid March 27, 2012

I love how the mason jars make for art, as well as your bowls and plates. They are a fun pop of color on the shelves!

Valerie March 27, 2012

Would love to see a close-up of your cookbook shelf! :) Always looking for new books to add to my cookbook collection, and I know you would have great taste in cookbooks.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 27, 2012

We do the same thing with furniture in our family – it all just keeps getting passed to the next college student in need!

That dining table is gorgeous! Great find!

Cait's Plate March 27, 2012

I LOVE it!! You have some seriously good taste :) And haha – I have all my bowls/plates/mason jars filled with food stacked around my house in the same way! “You know you’re a food person when…” ;)

char eats greens March 27, 2012

Great job you’ve done, especially with a new space!!! I like the idea of an area rug because we have hardwood through our tv area like you! I’ll have to convince the husband ;) did you also get the rug from the place in Burlington as well?!

Angela March 27, 2012

Hmm now Im trying to remember where we got the rug. We bought it when we were staging the house. I think it could be from Home Depot. I’m about 90% sure.

Kari March 27, 2012

the furniture you purchased brand new is beautiful, and whenever items seem to match I am always so impressed as I look at my own mis-matched-used-mostly-ikea suite…
Some good storage ideas, I’m a little weary of those spice containers on the side of the fridge though… do they not knock off and spill everywhere??
Also, I adore the pictures of Sketchie!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 27, 2012

I thought they would too, but the magnets are quite strong (esp the ones form Ikea)

Anne March 27, 2012

Beautiful! You have really classy taste….

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit March 27, 2012

Holy wow, it looks so amazing! Good for you, and I love the furniture. It looks like you guys have been living in there for years (in a good way). Our house is nothing like that.. there’s mismatched furniture, colors that don’t go together… haha kinda mishmash of things.

Angela March 27, 2012

mismatched furniture is very much in style right now (so we were told), so maybe you are just ahead of the times!

Debbie March 27, 2012

I am so in love with your furniture, I wish I lived in Canada! You certainly have an eye for design. I can’t wait to see the rest of your home :-)

Jane March 27, 2012

Apparently in your case, creative inspiring chef = creative inspiring interior designer. Gorgeous!

Yolanda March 27, 2012

Love the green accent!

Life's a Bowl March 27, 2012

Love the green accents [one of my fave colors!] and your hutch- great way to show off your cookbooks and some of your fave dishes!!! Would love one myself [if we had the space] :)

Karen March 27, 2012

Aaaaaand WHEN do I move in?? ;D

Angela March 27, 2012

hah anytime…I could use some help with the office ;)

Karen March 27, 2012

YAY!!!! Girl, you got it, I am hell on heels at Office work – LOL! ;) <3

Natalie March 27, 2012

Beautiful! Can’t wait to see the rest!

LizAshlee March 27, 2012

So cozy, cute, and clean!! Luv it..can’t wait til we’re at that point..we are still looking for a place!

Andrea March 27, 2012

O.m.g. Your pictures of your new place look like they came out of a magazine! What a beautiful space you have created. I love everything you’ve done with it!

Averie @ Averie Cooks March 27, 2012

I love that you keep your cookbooks and photography dishes in one cabinet, in one place. I have my books all over, my dishes in all kinds of places and cupboards, all based on what I can squeeze into what little extra nook & cranny. I’ve been toying with the idea of a whole other piece of furniture like your hutch and seeing yours makes me toy with the idea even more seriously!

Moni Meals March 27, 2012

I just love your style Ang, we are very similiar. Looking SO good!

SO happy too that Sketchie is feeling relaxed with the transition too.

Tracy March 27, 2012

Wow Angela, the space looks amazing! I can’t believe you are getting through the unpacking/organizing process so quickly, unpacking can get so overwhelming for me. That furniture is beautiful, I love the fact that the wood is repurposed. :)

Carrie March 27, 2012

Wow – it’s looking really good!

Alex @ Raw Recovery March 27, 2012

Wow looks gorgeous! I especially love the living room!

Jasper @ crunchylittlebites March 27, 2012

it’s fun to see how exciting you’ve made your move…you’ve planned ahead and kept busy with little ideas which has probably eased such a big transition. Thank you for being such a positive example Angela

Laura March 27, 2012

Hey Angela! Hope your knee feels better soon! I actually hurt my foot this weekend too and I am struggling with dealing with an injury.
Do you have any tips for the mental aspect of resting while injuried? I am really craving to start running and working out again but I am afraid to just make things worse…
Thanks!

Angela March 27, 2012

Hey Laura, Sorry to hear about your foot. I went through an injury in 2009 when I injured my pelvic area and I was out of exercise for 2 full months. What I found helped was to keep busy! I looked at the time I wouldn’t be running as “free time” and I tried to find fun things to do with my extra time. Catching up with family/friends, reading a new book, finally tackling a project I had been putting off, home decor/renos, etc. I think if you try to spin it as a positive thing- or as an opportunity to do new things you normally wouldn’t have time for- it can help.

Laura March 27, 2012

Thank you so much for the response! Great ideas, I am going to try and pursue some creative projects that hit the back burner a bit.
Love the new place by the way :)

Beth March 27, 2012

You’re doing such a great job! You can come and decorate my house anytime. And I love Sketchie. I just want to give him a big smooch.

Anna March 27, 2012

Oh man, what a great cookbook collection! I’m wondering how much space mine would fill if I kept it on shelves instead of a pile on the floor. Yours looks so great, I’m thinking that I should look into that…
Congratulations on getting all moved in!

Page 1 of 3123»