Kitchen: Before and Afters

IMG_2811

This weekend, we had just one goal:

Set up the new place.

…with the aid of a couple beverages. =)

IMG_8442

First up, in today’s post: the kitchen pictures. If you recall, it looked like this last week:

IMG_2650

Saturday morning, I got my organization on after a trip to Solutions – a huge home organization store similar to The Container Store in the US.

IMG_8326

Eric took one look at my loot and laughed.

“Since when did you turn into an organizer?”

I tried to tell him with a straight face that I’ve always been organized, but I just couldn’t.

People can change!

I also couldn’t bring myself to take our old, gross plastic cutlery tray with us, so I took this opportunity to start fresh with a bamboo cutlery tray.

IMG_8330

So easy…so rewarding…

IMG_8342

IMG_8350

Ugly, bagged spices now hide on the side of the fridge to free up a drawer:

IMG_8336 IMG_8360IMG_8458

What do we have here? St Patrick’s Day stickers, Valentine’s Day cupcake liners, candy molds, and onion goggles.

IMG_8346

Sounds about right.

After:

IMG_8348

Ok, I could probably do better than that…but I won’t.

Spice cabinet before:

IMG_8352

and After…with mini turn tables for easier locating spices:

IMG_8375

Thanks for the ideas on the turntables, by the way. Love them!

I put a shelf extender in the dish cabinet to fit an extra row of dishes. Now there is just enough space.

IMG_8361

I also picked up this container to store my measuring cups and small kitchen things.

IMG_8450

Yes, that’s a lot of measuring cups! You’d be surprised though…some days I easily dirty all of them.

Eric also had this great idea to store my “rarely used” dishes on top of the cabinets, saving me a ton of cabinet space. In addition to my casserole dishes, I put a wok, huge salad bowl, and empty mason jars on top.

IMG_8363

You can see the storage in this photo below:

IMG_2812

We also set up Grundtal Ikea shelves for my mason jar storage, so they didn’t have to be crammed in the cupboard anymore (thanks to Emily for the idea!!).

IMG_8549

They come in 120 cm and 80 cm lengths and we opted for the 80cm. I grabbed matching hooks for the bottom so I could hang my apron and other things. Apparently, Eric is using it for his sunglasses and keys too….you’re on my turf, Liddon. ;)

IMG_8464

I was so nervous that the shelves were going to break, but they are very sturdy. I just hope Sketchie doesn’t try to jump up…

Top shelf (left to right): Rolled oats, millet, walnuts, pecans, raw buckwheat groats, speltberries

Bottom shelf: Pearled barley, dried chickpeas, raw almonds, short grain brown rice, red lentils, raw cashews, and hemp seed.

IMG_8462

I have a few more jars stored in the cupboard, but it has opened up a lot of cupboard space. Two thumbs up!

You know, initially I was worried about transitioning into a smaller kitchen (I was spoiled with the size and storage space in our old house), but with a few adjustments I’ve cozied right into this space and love it more each day.

I ended Day #1 with Sketchie cuddles on his favourite “blankie” (Eric’s sweater), and he was a happy cat once again.

IMG_2792

Coming up: Living/dining area, laundry, and hallways.

1 chris chavez March 4, 2013

you are a lot more energetic than me, so you might not have this problem. but i found that i don’t get to the top of my cabinets as much as i’d like, so the dust collects. i put newspapers underneath my bowls and other things on top of my cabinets and when i finally get to cleaning all i have to do is pull up the papers and dust off the things on top. cuts cleaning time!

2 Case Mccarley April 19, 2012

I am so grateful for your article post.Much thanks again.

3 Elizabeth March 31, 2012

After seeing this post I ran to Ikea as fast as I could and grabbed 2 of the those shelves, a pack of hooks, and 3 little basket/pots to hang. I gathered up a mass of glass jars and I now have the most beautiful addition to my breakfast room. I had been meaning to fill a certain space and this was the perfect idea. Thank you so much! It was a fun, easy project! Also – my first trip to Ikea. I had my 2 and 3 year old with me and although it was an adventure, I’ll get a sitter next time. :)

4 Kitty March 30, 2012

Wow, it all looks great. But….onion goggles? Are those a real thing? :-D

Love the pic of happy Sketchie too. :-)

5 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 2, 2012

yessss and they rule

6 Lacey March 28, 2012

I LOVE the spices on the fridge idea!! I’ll have to try that sometime :)

7 Katy March 28, 2012

Love love love this entry! I was organizing my kitchen too last night and this gave me lots of gret ideas.

8 Kate March 28, 2012

Your kitchen looks fantastic! I’m moving in August and will definitely be stealing some of those ideas :)

What size are you mason jars on the top shelf? I can’t tell if they’re gallons half gallons, etc…

9 Izzy March 28, 2012

I want to love those magnets, but I ended up throwing all mine away. They are not air tight. :-/ Course it just dawned on me that I could have at least left them in baggies in them, and it would still be better than my piles of bags of random herbs that end up all tasting the same because they are a little too cozy with each other….

Your kitchen is beautiful. :)

10 kath March 27, 2012

Me Love Organization.

11 Katie of Vegan Noms March 27, 2012

So very gorgeous! I feel silly – I haven’t been keeping up with your posts as often as I’d like – when did you guys move? And after installing that gorgeous deck last fall? (I still missed the final photos from that adventure!) The place looks positively wonderful!

12 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 28, 2012

heh you aren’t behind, we just moved last week :) Thanks for your kind words!

13 Tina March 27, 2012

I’m so glad to learn I’m not the only one with “onion goggles”. I have to tell my family. : )

14 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 27, 2012

haha aren’t they great? Eric always dies laughing when he sees me with them on. I’m like WHAT? forgetting I even have them on.

15 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning March 27, 2012

Your organization is inspiring!! It makes me want to make over my whole kitchen!
I love little things like trays and lazy Susans to help store stuff. And I really like the idea of putting the rarely used stuff on top of the cabinets- i would have never thought of that- and it’s totally unused space in my kitchen!

16 Willow March 27, 2012

Great job on organizing!! I’m still working on getting my kitchen in order… every time someone comes over they gawk at all the space and cabinetry, and I stand there going “I just don’t see it…” – ha! Never enough room. I should invest in some of those turn tables – those might help my situation! :)

17 Aimee Lemieux March 27, 2012

Wow! Hurry up with that cookbook and then get started on a organizing/decorating book! Great job…makes me want to re-arrange my furniture and throw out my cuttlery holder!!!

18 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 27, 2012

haha thanks for the chuckle! Glad you enjoy it

19 Meg | One Love Meg March 27, 2012

The kitchen looks amazing! I love love love the spice magnets on the fridge. What a great idea and how convenient.

20 Brittney March 27, 2012

I love your post. Good job with the organizing! I always feel great when I go clutter free and organize my cabinets.

21 [email protected] March 27, 2012

You have accomplished a lot! I love organizing tools. They make the work so much more fun.

22 Anne @ZenandGenki.com March 27, 2012

Great job, Angela – it looks wonderful!

23 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers March 27, 2012

Your organized all nice! Love the magnets on the fridge!!

24 sara March 27, 2012

I love the jars on the shelves as a little “display” in the kitchen. It looks cute and frees up space. I might need to “borrow” that plan. :)

25 Lotte March 27, 2012

Your cat is a Bengal cat isn’t it? I’ve got one too! They’re awesome cats. So playfull and sweet. Mine talks all day long. Wherever I am, I here the cat: ‘miauw miauw!
Your kitchen looks awesome. Good job! And Good luck unpacking and store the rest of your stuff.

26 Kath March 27, 2012

It feels great to be organised, doesn’t it? Oh, and I see you like to drink our Aussie wines! :-)

27 Jen March 27, 2012

It looks like your new place is coming along really well. Congrats on getting organized, I know that can be tricky!

I just started following your blog after finding it through StumbleUpon and I really have been enjoying browsing through all your great recipes. I finally tried the carrot cake oatmeal tonight after having it bookmarked for a week and it was absolutely incredible. I’m looking forward to continue trying more of your recipes as I transition to a more healthy and plant-based diet :) Thanks for the inspiration and opening my eyes up to all kinds of interesting ingredients I’ve never even heard of before…like chia seeds, wheat berries, carob powder, and nutritional yeast to name a few. I am really excited to try ’em all out! Keep up your great work, and I can’t wait for the cookbook to come out – you have one definite buyer here in Phoenix, Arizona!

Jen

28 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 27, 2012

Thank you Jen, so glad you are enjoying the blog!

29 Mel March 27, 2012

Ok, I give in. In your cupboard you have a blue flask, I can read the heart and at the end ‘ga’ – whats the rest of the word lol. The reason I ask is Im kinda a fantatic with them some of my own are a Jason Vale, A Little Miss Sunshine, a keep calm and carry on one etc.

30 Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama March 27, 2012

I love displaying my jars of dry goods. They really do make for pleasant eye candy and it’s a great way to remember what you have! I easily shove jars around in my pantry only finding I have 2-3 jars of lentils or rice hiding in the back…
Love the new place, Angela! Thank you for sharing!

31 Kirstie March 27, 2012

Great job organizing the kitchen, Angela! It looks great, can’t wait to see the rest of the place xo

32 Jen Doyle March 26, 2012

Where did you get those little spice turn tables??? Try little penguin for a delicious yet inexpensive white wine!

(ps, this post does not indicate it but I follow your blog daily, drink a green monster everyday, and talk about you and your recipes to everyone I meet!)

GOOD LUCK WITH THE MOVE AND UNPACKING! There is no rush, savour it and make it just the way you want it! XO

33 Ali March 26, 2012

Wow, such great and simple solutions. Looks wonderful. I am such a sucker for around the house before and after posts. I always love watching HGTV (Home & Garden Television) for the makeover-type shows. Love everything you did, esp. the spice organizers, such a great idea! It’s funny how a little organization can go such a long way. Love the cozy feel of your place and look forward to seeing more before and afters! :)

34 Amanda March 26, 2012

Wow! Great progress! I’m enjoying seeing the new place come together :)

35 Kait March 26, 2012

Love the magnetic spice things…I NEED those! And the turntable things…

I’m also in the process of moving to a smaller place so these posts are super useful! And just really fun to read. :)

36 Shira March 26, 2012

Nice work! So much fun to set up a new kitchen work space! Enjoy!

37 Kate March 26, 2012

Love what you’ve done! Especially like the spice container magnets and the shelves for dry goods!

38 Kari @ bite-sized thoughts March 26, 2012

I have those Ikea Grundtal shelves and absolutely love them :) I’ve got one row like yours with nuts and dried fruit in big jars, and the hanging rail underneath, and another set of smaller shelves with spice jars that I have filled with chia seeds and carob powder and various other non-spice things. I used to worry about the big ones falling but they seem pretty sturdy!

I also love shelf extenders, except I use them in the pantry for stacking tins up to extreme levels :)

Your new kitchen looks wonderful, you’ve done a really great job!

39 Anna March 26, 2012

Organization is absolutely the best!! I love using Mason jars to organize things, especially grains and beans.
I think your tidy, adorable kitchen has inspired me to pull things together this weekend. After I moved, for whatever reason, things just never got put into proper places and I think it’s time to change that!

40 Deirdre March 26, 2012

Looks great- have a friend who is tossed about her spice cabinet chaos…will pass on to her for some ideas.

41 Jessica March 26, 2012

Your skin is incredibly gorgeous! Are the Green Monsters your only secret or do you have amazing skincare products as well? Please do share! :)

42 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 27, 2012

Thank you Jessica. to be honest, I don’t do much to my skin…the thing I do regularly though is exfoliate 3-4 times per week.

43 Quisha March 26, 2012

I’ve been reading your blog for years but noticed that you were featured on Healthy Bitch Daily… your gluten-free brownie recipe :) You’re all over the place!!!

Check it out here-

44 Emily Malone March 26, 2012

Love the shelves!! Hope the move is going well!

45 Emily March 26, 2012

Very nice! I love the way the mason jars look on the shelves!
FYI though, hemp seeds should be kept refrigerated! :)

46 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 26, 2012

I love all these organization ideas! I could seriously use them because my apartment kitchen is TINY. Not to mention I have to share it with a roommate, which makes it even harder. Our cupboard space wasn’t enough, so I had to buy an entire shelving unit to put against one wall in order to accommodate all of our stuff! :P

47 Kathryn March 26, 2012

I’m jelouse! I keep wanting to get the new place ALL done, but something always comes up!

48 Susie My SoCal Life March 26, 2012

I’m with Cathy above, we have the exact same ktichen too..just moved into our house 6 mos ago and it’s a much smaller kitchen. I am so getting the mini spice turntables for our cubbards!

49 Shannon March 26, 2012

Great idea with the shelves and spice jars on the fridge! I can’t wait to try this in my tiny kitchen! Love the Yellow Tail too, it’s my fav ;)

50 Karen March 26, 2012

Lookin’ great, Ange! (I’m still coveting those onion goggles!) :)

51 Alison (Fueling for Fitness) March 26, 2012

Looks great! I love *looking* at pictures of organization…. but I can never bring myself to apply things I see to myself. :P I don’t have a real excuse other than the fact that I know I won’t be living in my apartment forever (says the girl who’s almost been here three years). Oh well, for now I’ll just have to live vicariously through neat and tidy bloggers. :)

52 Ruth March 26, 2012

There must be something going around – I also organized my kitchen cupboard this weekend on a random urge. I jarred up a bunch of random bags of dried goods like rice & beans. So much nicer in the jars!!

It’s looking good. I really like all of the great storage solutions you’ve come up with.

53 Andrea March 26, 2012

Looks great. I get a kick out of organizing rooms, not that anyone would know it by looking at my place. New spaces are great for that. Clean slate. Fresh space to make how you want. Eventually chaos resumes. It’s easier to subsequently move when you’re renting your living space. :)

54 StoriesAndSweetPotatoes March 26, 2012

It’s looking great! Love those mason jars on the wall. When I have a kitchen with wall space I’m putting all my spices up like that.

55 Yellow Haired Girl March 26, 2012

I like it! And I really like the mason jars on the wall – I buy so much stuff in bulk, it would be so great not to have my kitchen cupboard overflowing with the goods like it already is :) can’t wait to see more of the house!

56 Laura Nugent March 26, 2012

I love to see how other people organize their spaces. You’ve got great ideas! Just a quick aside, the hemp seeds I have say they want to be kept in the fridge.

57 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 26, 2012

Aw yes you are right about keeping the hemp seeds chilled! Whoops :)

58 Amanda @ AmandaRunsNY March 26, 2012

I love these ideas for the spices and mason jars. It gives me some good ideas on how I can free up space in my itsy-bitsy New York City kitchen. I’m buying magnet spice containers today.

59 Maria March 26, 2012

Oh wow! I can’t even begin to tell you how inspirational this post has been for me! I booked the day off tomorrow to do the same! :) Perfect timing!

60 Catherine March 26, 2012

You kitchen looks fabulous! So much space, can’t wait for you to photograph some yummy new recipes in your new kitchen:)

61 erica March 26, 2012

loving this new series of posts! i love seeing more about your life :)
great job with the kitchen!!!

62 ASK March 26, 2012

Beautiful kitchen and organized, too! I love what you’ve done with the spices; I assume that you’re so familiar with the spices that you can probably identify them by sight rather than relying on the labels (which look like they’re hidden unless you pull out the spice).

My only real concern is the mason jar shelf because there’s no basket to prevent something from tipping them over onto the ground. Though the shelf is sturdy, you must keep in mind that those jars are glass which may turn out to be quite dangerous at that height.

On a side note, where do you buy all those mason jars? I’ve been wanting some for storage and homemade fermented foods…

Best of luck on the rest of the move!

63 ASK March 26, 2012

Nevermind about not seeing the labels! I just noticed that those spices are magnetically sticking on your fridge rather than placed into round slots in a cabinet as I had originally assumed.

64 jane March 26, 2012

My friend Brit Tomren loves your sight and I can see why. I put my big serving dishes and platters on top of my kitchen cabinets also, but because they get covered in dust and I hate washing them I cover them with saran wrap. When I’m cooking those big family dinners like thanksgiving and Easter it’s one less job to do, I just bring them down and remove the plastic; ta da they are clean and ready to use. Brittany is alway trying your recipes and getting me to try them,3 years ago it was very hit and miss but now she is a great baker so I know I can learn from your sight.

65 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 26, 2012

Thank you Jane, enjoy the recipes!

66 Steph. March 26, 2012

I have never, ever heard of onion goggles!!!! Where can I get some? I am pathetic chopping onions-I mean, it is really bad!

67 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 26, 2012

haha Im not sure where my mom got them, but I think it was a kitchen store :)

68 Kalee March 26, 2012

It looks great! I love the ball jar idea!! So cute and easy to use the goodies inside! :)

69 Life's a Bowl March 26, 2012

Wow, hello beautiful kitchen! I am a little OCD organized and love your ideas :)

P.S. I used to work at The Container Store and would make lists in my mind of what I would buy if I had an unlimited budget and the space :P

70 Suzanne March 26, 2012

Love Solutions (I bet you were at the Burloak one which is across from my office!). And Kitchen Stuff Plus. That is your kind of store! You found great ways to free up space in your kitchen and the mason jars make a cool decorating technique!

71 Amber K March 26, 2012

I love organization, but I am horrible about actually implementing it. I love seeing before/after photos though. They are an inspiration to get my things in order!

72 Lorinda @ Everyday Endeavours March 26, 2012

great job on downsizing. with a kitchen that always hurts but it keeps us honest about what we really use. :-) I can’t wait to see what magic you work here xx

73 Rachel March 26, 2012

I purchased the same shelves this past summer and had the same concerns about their stability – until we had an earthquake on the east coast one week later! I figure that since they withstood an earthquake, they’re up for good :)

74 Lauren March 26, 2012

You look absolutely beautiful in that last pic with Sketchie :) And your kitchen- WOW! Stunning!

75 Grace @ Healthy Dreaming March 26, 2012

I love what you did with your kitchen. The shelving unit for your jars is so pretty! I really need to get something like that for all my dried foods!

76 Hailey March 26, 2012

I love, love, love the idea of the mason jars on display with all of your grains/rice/dried beans/etc. Great idea!! Nice work! I also like the idea of the shelf divider, totally gives you double the space!

Also, why do I not have onion goggles? I usually just have tears streaming down my face and I eventually have to stop once I can no longer see haha.

77 Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner March 26, 2012

your new place looks so nice!! I love all of the storage/space saver ideas!

78 Carrie March 26, 2012

Wow, great storage ideas! It looks so neat and organized!

79 cathy March 26, 2012

We have the EXACT same kitchen layout, ange! I may have to steal some of your ideas!
Congrats on the new home – I think oakville is a perfect spot for you and eric!

80 Cortnie March 26, 2012

Amazing!! I actually love organizing (addicted to it is more like it) so this post really speaks to my heart. ;)

xo
cortnie

81 Christine March 26, 2012

Love the organization tips! Where do you get those huge mason jars from?

82 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 26, 2012

Canadian Tire :)

83 Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats March 26, 2012

Love the new kitchen! I love the fridge magnet spice holders! I really need to work on organizing my own…>.<

84 Chanelle Morin March 26, 2012

I love the kitchen! Looks great. I moved to a smaller kitchen recently and it was tough but organization is key! Great ideas!

85 Lina March 26, 2012

I love what you did with the kitchen! My faves are the spice boxes and the shelves with the mason jars on.

Were the shelves easy to put up? I have dry wall in my (rental) apartment so I’m a bit hesitant to put something on the walls but I’d love the extra space.

86 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 26, 2012

Eric used his stud finder (lol) and put it in the studs, otherwise Im not sure it would stay up in just drywall alone.

87 Lina March 26, 2012

hm… studs =P lol, just kidding. Yes, that might work, I’ll see if I can find a stud finder (ha!)

Thanks!

88 Chelsea @ Naturally Sweet Recipes March 26, 2012

Oh so cute!! Congrats on getting your kitchen organized and settled. It feels soo good to feel more moved in, doesn’t it? It looks great!! Your kitty is absolutely adorable!!

89 Dominique March 26, 2012

Organizing makes me so happy and I love seeing these new home posts. I hope to see more of them in the future.

When Sean and I moved in together last fall I tried to get everything done in one weekend (we’re in a condo in the city). Merging our stuff together wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be but we did amass quite the load of spices between the two of us. We don’t have a lot of cabinet space but we do have a very large front closet; a third of it has become our pantry.

I think our cat, Mischief, is pretty but Sketchie’s looks are far superior (don’t tell Mischief I said that!)

90 Andrea M. March 26, 2012

Hello Angela,

Love your kitchen! very nice and I so love the small containers for the spices that get to stuck on the fridge’s door to optimize space. Great idea! Can’s wait to see what you did to the rest of your place.

91 Stephanie @ Legally Blinde March 26, 2012

Looks great – nice job! You’ve gotten a ton accomplished already!

92 Karen March 26, 2012

AMAZING…thank you for the inspirational stuff here in this great post! I’m fired up, baby!!! :)

Oh, and you and Sketchie…best…pic…EVER!!! :) <3

93 Moni Meals March 26, 2012

ohhh la la! How amazing, what a dream! Can I hire you to do the same over here. :) that actually is one of my goals this coming month.
Looks great!

94 LizAshlee March 26, 2012

Your kitchen looks adorable…great job on utilizing the space so well!!!

95 Char @ www.charskitchen.ca March 26, 2012

I love what you did with everything!! I’m pretty organized in my kitchen, but you’ve given me a few ideas to make some spots less cluttered. Thank you!

And Sketchie is so adorable! :D

96 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather March 26, 2012

Way to get organized!!! Love the ikea shelving for your mason jars.

97 katie@ KatieDid March 26, 2012

looks fabulous, you got a lot accomplished already! Love that drawer with the odds and ends- only a foodblogger!

98 Averie @ Averie Cooks March 26, 2012

Congrats on making your new house a home and by starting off with the kitchen. When my kitchen (and then bathroom) is organized and ready to go, I feel so relieved…like ahhhh, now I can breathe. And get ready to cook. Have fun! :)

99 Christine (The Brighter Side of Life) March 26, 2012

Oh, I have a question: WHY is it that plastic utensil holders get so gross? Our white one is awful. I seriously don’t know how it happens – dark smudges, crumbs, etc. – how is it possible, when we only put clean utensils in it? Your bamboo holder looks great.

100 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 26, 2012

haha omg I know…ours was scary! I was so grossed out.

101 Heather March 26, 2012

Love the shelf and the mason jars. I need to look at putting something like that up to store my grains, flours, etc. You kitchen is looking fabulous…such a great feeling to get organized!

102 Christine (The Brighter Side of Life) March 26, 2012

Kitchen looks great! I love the mason jar/shelf storage thing too. And I LOVE the spices on turntables… but I don’t think our cupboard is deep enough for it unless I can find much smaller turntables than what used to be available. Anyway, enjoy – a place feels so much more like home when the kitchen is set up the way you want it!

103 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 26, 2012

Our cupboards arent very deep either, but these smaller turntables were only 9 inches I think. Might be worth looking into!

104 Nicole March 26, 2012

Looks great, Angela! I see many wonderful recipes coming out of that space :)

105 janet @ the taste space March 26, 2012

I love how you turned your new apartment into a home! Love the ikea shelving for your Mason jars! So pretty in metal!

106 char eats greens March 26, 2012

I looooove the mason jar shelf!! I was surprised when we moved into our place that it has much more storage than I thought. It’s not the biggest kitchen ever, but sometimes I swear it has just as much storage as my mom’s kitchen which has more leg room in it than hours…or maybe I just have a lot less stuff than her ;)

Aww, to Sketchie. I really need to get a cat ASAP…I’d love to steal my mom’s fluffball, but I’m pretty sure she’d notice him missing :P

107 Danielle March 26, 2012

Those spice containers are great! What a clever idea. I try to be organized – this is great inspiration. So fun to see how you make use of storage space!

108 Steph March 26, 2012

Your kitchen looks fab! I’ll be moving in a couple months and I’m going to use this as inspiration for creative space for storing all of my kitchen gadgets. Everything is always overflowing and I hate clutter. I love the Ikea shelves and all the accessories that you can get for them; great find by Emily! Thanks for sharing :)

109 Jeanine - the Baking Beauties March 26, 2012

I LOVE looking through kitchens, and I gotta say, those shelves with the mason jars – LOVE! Wish I had someone to put them in my kitchen! Good job on the organizing, I agree, people can change. ;)

110 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 26, 2012

im glad you have faith in me ;)

111 Shannon March 26, 2012

Looks great. I love organizing. :)

112 Amanda March 26, 2012

Your kitchen looks great! I especially love the little turntables for the spices and that ikea shelf for the mason jars. I’m sort of ocd about being organized, so this post was right up my alley and gave me some great ideas for my own smaller kitchen!

113 The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh March 26, 2012

That is AWESOME! The organization will so come in handy especially as you’re whipping up all of those great recipes for your cookbook! You’ll come to appreciate it. I’m jealous of all of your drawer space. Drawers suffered for us in our kitchen remodel.

114 Christine March 26, 2012

I just noticed your avatar changed from 195 lb lost to 200 lbs. Congrats! (And sorry for seeming like such a creeper, but you’re making awesome progress!)

115 The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh March 26, 2012

Aww, thanks! It’s much appreciated!

116 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen March 26, 2012

It’s looking great! I’m spoiled with my current kitchen too. I actually still have 2 full cabinets of empty space. If we ever downsize (which I would like to in the next place), I’m in for a surprise.

117 Lindsey March 26, 2012

my cats would be aaaaaallllllllll oooooooooovvvvvvvveeeeeeerrrrrrrr those shelves!! The spice tins are great too!! Gives me hope for my small spaces… : p

Sketchie looks exceedingly happy… : )

118 Angela March 26, 2012

hah that’s what I’m worried about! I guess time will tell…

119 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 26, 2012

LOVE that mason jar storage idea! I need to find a spot to do that in my kitchen.

Don’t you love how much more settled you feel when the kitchen is in order?

120 Jaclyn T March 26, 2012

You’ve been a busy bee! LOVE the Sketchie photo. :)

–Jaclyn T
Nature Inspired: TrickArt Jewellery
50% off with WELCOMESPRING50

121 Christine March 26, 2012

Have you gone to Nzyme in downtown Oakville yet? It seems like a place you’d like!
(I work downtown)

122 Angela March 26, 2012

Hey Christine, My friend and I were going to meet for lunch there last week, but we found out that Nzyme closed down! I found this out on their facebook page…and their phone number was disconnected. I wonder if they will re-open as they said it was due to a family emergency (end of January)

123 Christine March 26, 2012

Oh that’s so disappointing! My friend and I were going to go there too but she goes to school out of the country so we were planning on going in the summer.. I was hoping for a review!
Oh well there’s always whole foods

124 Nobody March 26, 2012

where on earth did you get those magnetic spice tins on the side of your fridge? did you make them yourself? they’re absolutely ADORABLE. i’m always looking for new ways to store spices because i have a very small kitchen and need to maximize use of space. currently, the bagged stuff is in baby food jars left over from my kids younger years, but i love the idea of putting them on the side of the fridge like that.

125 Angela March 26, 2012

I love the idea of the magnet on the side of the fridge too. It’s hidden away and you don’t really notice it until you are looking at it. The tins are from the Solutions store, although I’ve seen them many places. Ikea has them as well (I got larger ones there, but I assume they have small ones too) and I think home hardware/organizational type places have them too. Kitchen Stuff Plus, etc.

126 Alex @ Raw Recovery March 26, 2012

I LOVE organizing and you did a fantastic job! I’m currently living in a furnished rental apartment until I graduate in May and then moving into my own real apartment where I can decorate and organize until my heart is content. I am definitely going to try the mason jar storage on those shelves; it’s both aesthetically pleasing and an efficient use of space! I think it would also be a good place for me to store all of my work supplies (paper clips, pens, highlighters, etc). I think it’d be fun to do a similar thing with different bath salts and bath gels in my future bathroom. Ideas are brewing! Looks beautiful!

127 Angela March 26, 2012

Oh that reminds me…Ikea has matching hanging baskets that can be hooked onto the base of the shelves too (and a spice rack as you will see in Emily’s post!). I think I might get a basket to put sunglasses, mail, and keys :)

Love the idea of the bathroom shelving and using it for bath salts etc!!

128 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 26, 2012

Ooooh lookin’ fine!! I love your jars on the shelf on the wall – I wish I had enough wall space in my kitchen to do that! And snap on the magnetic labeled spice jars – aren’t they great!!? Your kitchen is looking awesome Ange. Bet you can’t wait to start cooking!

129 Greta @ Staying Lost March 26, 2012

The kitchen looks beautiful- I am very impressed with your organizational skills! I especially like the turntable for spices. I should think about doing that, because my spice collection is huge and completely disorganized.

130 Beks March 26, 2012

Sketchie is so cute. He looks pleased that things are finally coming together. I love the spices on the fridge! That’s a great idea!

131 Natalie March 26, 2012

Love, love, love the personal posts! Can’t wait to see what you’ve done with the rest of the place!

132 Katie @ Creature of Habit March 26, 2012

I second this! It’s nice to get a peak behind the scenes.

133 Angela March 26, 2012

Thank you, that’s good to know. :)

134 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) March 29, 2012

I agree as well :-)

135 LeeAnn March 27, 2012

I third it! Wow — you go, girl!

136 Jenny$1983 March 28, 2012

Definitely! And thanks for the bonus pic of happy you and happy Sketchie :)