Kitchen: Before and Afters

IMG 2811   Kitchen: Before and Afters

This weekend, we had just one goal:

Set up the new place.

…with the aid of a couple beverages. =)

IMG 8442   Kitchen: Before and Afters

First up, in today’s post: the kitchen pictures. If you recall, it looked like this last week:

IMG 26501   Kitchen: Before and Afters

Saturday morning, I got my organization on after a trip to Solutions – a huge home organization store similar to The Container Store in the US.

IMG 8326   Kitchen: Before and Afters

Eric took one look at my loot and laughed.

“Since when did you turn into an organizer?”

I tried to tell him with a straight face that I’ve always been organized, but I just couldn’t.

People can change!

I also couldn’t bring myself to take our old, gross plastic cutlery tray with us, so I took this opportunity to start fresh with a bamboo cutlery tray.

IMG 8330   Kitchen: Before and Afters

So easy…so rewarding…

IMG 8342   Kitchen: Before and Afters

IMG 8350   Kitchen: Before and Afters

Ugly, bagged spices now hide on the side of the fridge to free up a drawer:

IMG 8336 thumb   Kitchen: Before and Afters IMG 8360 thumb   Kitchen: Before and AftersIMG 8458   Kitchen: Before and Afters

What do we have here? St Patrick’s Day stickers, Valentine’s Day cupcake liners, candy molds, and onion goggles.

IMG 8346   Kitchen: Before and Afters

Sounds about right.

After:

IMG 8348   Kitchen: Before and Afters

Ok, I could probably do better than that…but I won’t.

Spice cabinet before:

IMG 83522   Kitchen: Before and Afters

and After…with mini turn tables for easier locating spices:

IMG 83751   Kitchen: Before and Afters

Thanks for the ideas on the turntables, by the way. Love them!

I put a shelf extender in the dish cabinet to fit an extra row of dishes. Now there is just enough space.

IMG 8361   Kitchen: Before and Afters

I also picked up this container to store my measuring cups and small kitchen things.

IMG 8450   Kitchen: Before and Afters

Yes, that’s a lot of measuring cups! You’d be surprised though…some days I easily dirty all of them.

Eric also had this great idea to store my “rarely used” dishes on top of the cabinets, saving me a ton of cabinet space. In addition to my casserole dishes, I put a wok, huge salad bowl, and empty mason jars on top.

IMG 8363   Kitchen: Before and Afters

You can see the storage in this photo below:

IMG 2812   Kitchen: Before and Afters

We also set up Grundtal Ikea shelves for my mason jar storage, so they didn’t have to be crammed in the cupboard anymore (thanks to Emily for the idea!!).

IMG 8549   Kitchen: Before and Afters

They come in 120 cm and 80 cm lengths and we opted for the 80cm. I grabbed matching hooks for the bottom so I could hang my apron and other things. Apparently, Eric is using it for his sunglasses and keys too….you’re on my turf, Liddon. ;)

IMG 8464   Kitchen: Before and Afters

I was so nervous that the shelves were going to break, but they are very sturdy. I just hope Sketchie doesn’t try to jump up…

Top shelf (left to right): Rolled oats, millet, walnuts, pecans, raw buckwheat groats, speltberries

Bottom shelf: Pearled barley, dried chickpeas, raw almonds, short grain brown rice, red lentils, raw cashews, and hemp seed.

IMG 8462   Kitchen: Before and Afters

I have a few more jars stored in the cupboard, but it has opened up a lot of cupboard space. Two thumbs up!

You know, initially I was worried about transitioning into a smaller kitchen (I was spoiled with the size and storage space in our old house), but with a few adjustments I’ve cozied right into this space and love it more each day.

I ended Day #1 with Sketchie cuddles on his favourite “blankie” (Eric’s sweater), and he was a happy cat once again.

IMG 2792   Kitchen: Before and Afters

Coming up: Living/dining area, laundry, and hallways.

Natalie March 26, 2012

Love, love, love the personal posts! Can’t wait to see what you’ve done with the rest of the place!

Katie @ Creature of Habit March 26, 2012

I second this! It’s nice to get a peak behind the scenes.

Angela March 26, 2012

Thank you, that’s good to know. :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) March 29, 2012

I agree as well :-)

LeeAnn March 27, 2012

I third it! Wow — you go, girl!

Jenny$1983 March 28, 2012

Definitely! And thanks for the bonus pic of happy you and happy Sketchie :)

Beks March 26, 2012

Sketchie is so cute. He looks pleased that things are finally coming together. I love the spices on the fridge! That’s a great idea!

Greta @ Staying Lost March 26, 2012

The kitchen looks beautiful- I am very impressed with your organizational skills! I especially like the turntable for spices. I should think about doing that, because my spice collection is huge and completely disorganized.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 26, 2012

Ooooh lookin’ fine!! I love your jars on the shelf on the wall – I wish I had enough wall space in my kitchen to do that! And snap on the magnetic labeled spice jars – aren’t they great!!? Your kitchen is looking awesome Ange. Bet you can’t wait to start cooking!

Alex @ Raw Recovery March 26, 2012

I LOVE organizing and you did a fantastic job! I’m currently living in a furnished rental apartment until I graduate in May and then moving into my own real apartment where I can decorate and organize until my heart is content. I am definitely going to try the mason jar storage on those shelves; it’s both aesthetically pleasing and an efficient use of space! I think it would also be a good place for me to store all of my work supplies (paper clips, pens, highlighters, etc). I think it’d be fun to do a similar thing with different bath salts and bath gels in my future bathroom. Ideas are brewing! Looks beautiful!

Angela March 26, 2012

Oh that reminds me…Ikea has matching hanging baskets that can be hooked onto the base of the shelves too (and a spice rack as you will see in Emily’s post!). I think I might get a basket to put sunglasses, mail, and keys :)

Love the idea of the bathroom shelving and using it for bath salts etc!!

Nobody March 26, 2012

where on earth did you get those magnetic spice tins on the side of your fridge? did you make them yourself? they’re absolutely ADORABLE. i’m always looking for new ways to store spices because i have a very small kitchen and need to maximize use of space. currently, the bagged stuff is in baby food jars left over from my kids younger years, but i love the idea of putting them on the side of the fridge like that.

Angela March 26, 2012

I love the idea of the magnet on the side of the fridge too. It’s hidden away and you don’t really notice it until you are looking at it. The tins are from the Solutions store, although I’ve seen them many places. Ikea has them as well (I got larger ones there, but I assume they have small ones too) and I think home hardware/organizational type places have them too. Kitchen Stuff Plus, etc.

Christine March 26, 2012

Have you gone to Nzyme in downtown Oakville yet? It seems like a place you’d like!
(I work downtown)

Angela March 26, 2012

Hey Christine, My friend and I were going to meet for lunch there last week, but we found out that Nzyme closed down! I found this out on their facebook page…and their phone number was disconnected. I wonder if they will re-open as they said it was due to a family emergency (end of January)

Christine March 26, 2012

Oh that’s so disappointing! My friend and I were going to go there too but she goes to school out of the country so we were planning on going in the summer.. I was hoping for a review!
Oh well there’s always whole foods

Jaclyn T March 26, 2012

You’ve been a busy bee! LOVE the Sketchie photo. :)

–Jaclyn T
Nature Inspired: TrickArt Jewellery
50% off with WELCOMESPRING50

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 26, 2012

LOVE that mason jar storage idea! I need to find a spot to do that in my kitchen.

Don’t you love how much more settled you feel when the kitchen is in order?

Lindsey March 26, 2012

my cats would be aaaaaallllllllll oooooooooovvvvvvvveeeeeeerrrrrrrr those shelves!! The spice tins are great too!! Gives me hope for my small spaces… : p

Sketchie looks exceedingly happy… : )

Angela March 26, 2012

hah that’s what I’m worried about! I guess time will tell…

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen March 26, 2012

It’s looking great! I’m spoiled with my current kitchen too. I actually still have 2 full cabinets of empty space. If we ever downsize (which I would like to in the next place), I’m in for a surprise.

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh March 26, 2012

That is AWESOME! The organization will so come in handy especially as you’re whipping up all of those great recipes for your cookbook! You’ll come to appreciate it. I’m jealous of all of your drawer space. Drawers suffered for us in our kitchen remodel.

Christine March 26, 2012

I just noticed your avatar changed from 195 lb lost to 200 lbs. Congrats! (And sorry for seeming like such a creeper, but you’re making awesome progress!)

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh March 26, 2012

Aww, thanks! It’s much appreciated!

Amanda March 26, 2012

Your kitchen looks great! I especially love the little turntables for the spices and that ikea shelf for the mason jars. I’m sort of ocd about being organized, so this post was right up my alley and gave me some great ideas for my own smaller kitchen!

Shannon March 26, 2012

Looks great. I love organizing. :)

Jeanine - the Baking Beauties March 26, 2012

I LOVE looking through kitchens, and I gotta say, those shelves with the mason jars – LOVE! Wish I had someone to put them in my kitchen! Good job on the organizing, I agree, people can change. ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 26, 2012

im glad you have faith in me ;)

Steph March 26, 2012

Your kitchen looks fab! I’ll be moving in a couple months and I’m going to use this as inspiration for creative space for storing all of my kitchen gadgets. Everything is always overflowing and I hate clutter. I love the Ikea shelves and all the accessories that you can get for them; great find by Emily! Thanks for sharing :)

Danielle March 26, 2012

Those spice containers are great! What a clever idea. I try to be organized – this is great inspiration. So fun to see how you make use of storage space!

char eats greens March 26, 2012

I looooove the mason jar shelf!! I was surprised when we moved into our place that it has much more storage than I thought. It’s not the biggest kitchen ever, but sometimes I swear it has just as much storage as my mom’s kitchen which has more leg room in it than hours…or maybe I just have a lot less stuff than her ;)

Aww, to Sketchie. I really need to get a cat ASAP…I’d love to steal my mom’s fluffball, but I’m pretty sure she’d notice him missing :P

janet @ the taste space March 26, 2012

I love how you turned your new apartment into a home! Love the ikea shelving for your Mason jars! So pretty in metal!

Nicole March 26, 2012

Looks great, Angela! I see many wonderful recipes coming out of that space :)

Christine (The Brighter Side of Life) March 26, 2012

Kitchen looks great! I love the mason jar/shelf storage thing too. And I LOVE the spices on turntables… but I don’t think our cupboard is deep enough for it unless I can find much smaller turntables than what used to be available. Anyway, enjoy – a place feels so much more like home when the kitchen is set up the way you want it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 26, 2012

Our cupboards arent very deep either, but these smaller turntables were only 9 inches I think. Might be worth looking into!

Heather March 26, 2012

Love the shelf and the mason jars. I need to look at putting something like that up to store my grains, flours, etc. You kitchen is looking fabulous…such a great feeling to get organized!

Christine (The Brighter Side of Life) March 26, 2012

Oh, I have a question: WHY is it that plastic utensil holders get so gross? Our white one is awful. I seriously don’t know how it happens – dark smudges, crumbs, etc. – how is it possible, when we only put clean utensils in it? Your bamboo holder looks great.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 26, 2012

haha omg I know…ours was scary! I was so grossed out.

Averie @ Averie Cooks March 26, 2012

Congrats on making your new house a home and by starting off with the kitchen. When my kitchen (and then bathroom) is organized and ready to go, I feel so relieved…like ahhhh, now I can breathe. And get ready to cook. Have fun! :)

katie@ KatieDid March 26, 2012

looks fabulous, you got a lot accomplished already! Love that drawer with the odds and ends- only a foodblogger!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather March 26, 2012

Way to get organized!!! Love the ikea shelving for your mason jars.

Char @ www.charskitchen.ca March 26, 2012

I love what you did with everything!! I’m pretty organized in my kitchen, but you’ve given me a few ideas to make some spots less cluttered. Thank you!

And Sketchie is so adorable! :D

LizAshlee March 26, 2012

Your kitchen looks adorable…great job on utilizing the space so well!!!

Moni Meals March 26, 2012

ohhh la la! How amazing, what a dream! Can I hire you to do the same over here. :) that actually is one of my goals this coming month.
Looks great!

Karen March 26, 2012

AMAZING…thank you for the inspirational stuff here in this great post! I’m fired up, baby!!! :)

Oh, and you and Sketchie…best…pic…EVER!!! :) <3

Stephanie @ Legally Blinde March 26, 2012

Looks great – nice job! You’ve gotten a ton accomplished already!

Andrea M. March 26, 2012

Hello Angela,

Love your kitchen! very nice and I so love the small containers for the spices that get to stuck on the fridge’s door to optimize space. Great idea! Can’s wait to see what you did to the rest of your place.

Dominique March 26, 2012

Organizing makes me so happy and I love seeing these new home posts. I hope to see more of them in the future.

When Sean and I moved in together last fall I tried to get everything done in one weekend (we’re in a condo in the city). Merging our stuff together wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be but we did amass quite the load of spices between the two of us. We don’t have a lot of cabinet space but we do have a very large front closet; a third of it has become our pantry.

I think our cat, Mischief, is pretty but Sketchie’s looks are far superior (don’t tell Mischief I said that!)

Chelsea @ Naturally Sweet Recipes March 26, 2012

Oh so cute!! Congrats on getting your kitchen organized and settled. It feels soo good to feel more moved in, doesn’t it? It looks great!! Your kitty is absolutely adorable!!

Lina March 26, 2012

I love what you did with the kitchen! My faves are the spice boxes and the shelves with the mason jars on.

Were the shelves easy to put up? I have dry wall in my (rental) apartment so I’m a bit hesitant to put something on the walls but I’d love the extra space.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 26, 2012

Eric used his stud finder (lol) and put it in the studs, otherwise Im not sure it would stay up in just drywall alone.

Lina March 26, 2012

hm… studs =P lol, just kidding. Yes, that might work, I’ll see if I can find a stud finder (ha!)

Thanks!

Chanelle Morin March 26, 2012

I love the kitchen! Looks great. I moved to a smaller kitchen recently and it was tough but organization is key! Great ideas!

Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats March 26, 2012

Love the new kitchen! I love the fridge magnet spice holders! I really need to work on organizing my own…>.<

Christine March 26, 2012

Love the organization tips! Where do you get those huge mason jars from?

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 26, 2012

Canadian Tire :)

Cortnie March 26, 2012

Amazing!! I actually love organizing (addicted to it is more like it) so this post really speaks to my heart. ;)

xo
cortnie

cathy March 26, 2012

We have the EXACT same kitchen layout, ange! I may have to steal some of your ideas!
Congrats on the new home – I think oakville is a perfect spot for you and eric!

Page 1 of 3123»