Cardamom Almond Pear Crisp for Two

Happy Friday!

Just a quick note about the pancake recipe I posted yesterday. I tried the pancakes this morning using a couple different methods after a reader mentioned the pancakes stuck to the pan after making a couple small substitutions. I went back into the kitchen to see if I could figure out why the pancakes might have stuck to the pan for someone else. For the first trial, I used an old skillet that wasn’t non-stick. The pancakes completely stuck to the skillet, just as I suspected. I also tried using my non-stick skillet, but I didn’t grease it first, and the pancakes stuck more than I’d like.

My suggestion is to use a non-stick pan and lightly grease it with oil before making the pancakes. I’ve made 5 batches this way and I didn’t have any problems with sticking. I’m also not sure how modifications to the recipe will hold up, such as flour substitutions, so I suggest following the recipe as written. It’s really anyone’s guess when changing a vegan & GF recipe!

In other news, I have a cute, little dessert for you today that is a cinch to whip up.

IMG 8048   Cardamom Almond Pear Crisp for Two

I had a couple pears on their last legs and thought it would be fun to make a 2-serving pear crisp in tiny little 8-oz ramekins.

Sometimes it’s nice to make a smaller portion when you don’t want to spend a lot of time prepping ingredients. It’s just enough to satisfy the sweet tooth!

IMG 4603   Cardamom Almond Pear Crisp for Two

Using my Strawberry Apple Breakfast Crisp (image above), I cut it down to make just two servings and then swapped out the fruit and spices. The result is a healthy pear crisp that is just sweet enough without going overboard.

IMG 8039   Cardamom Almond Pear Crisp for Two

Cardamom Almond Pear Crisp for Two

This crisp is flourless, all-natural, low in sugar, and vegan. I love the chewy topping thanks to the almond mixture. To make this gluten-free, use certified gluten-free oats.

Print, Email, or Text this recipe

Adapted from my Flourless Strawberry Apple Breakfast Crisp

for the fruit mixture:

• 2 cups chopped pears, unpeeled (about 2)
  • 1 tbsp Sucanat or brown sugar
  • 1 tsp cornstarch
  • 1/4 tsp ground cardamom (or cinnamon)
  • 1 vanilla bean, scraped (or 1/2 tsp vanilla extract)

for the topping:

• 1 tsp coconut oil, melted (or olive oil)
  • 3 tbsp almonds
  • 2 tbsp rolled oats
  • 1 tbsp Sucanat or brown sugar
  • 1 tsp pure maple syrup (or other liquid sweetener)
  • pinch of salt

1. Preheat oven to 400F and grease two (8-oz) ramekin dishes with oil.

2. In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the fruit mixture ingredients (chopped pears, sugar, cornstarch, cardamom/cinnamon, and vanilla).

3. In a processor (I used my mini processor), process the almonds until finely chopped. Now add in the oats and process just until chopped. If you don’t have a processor, you can probably do this by hand.

4. In a small bowl, melt the coconut oil in the microwave. Now stir in the rest of the topping ingredients. Add 2 tablespoons of the topping mixture into fruit mixture and stir until combined. Divide the fruit mixture into ramekins. Sprinkle the rest of the topping on top of the fruit mixture.

5. Cover ramekins with lid (or cover with tin foil and poke a couple holes). Bake, covered, at 400F for 22-25 minutes. The topping will burn if you don’t cover it. Allow to slightly cool for 10 minutes before serving with a scoop of vegan ice cream. Dig in!!!

IMG 8046   Cardamom Almond Pear Crisp for Two

A light and healthy dessert that will leave you feeling refreshed and satisfied just in time for spring!

IMG 8051   Cardamom Almond Pear Crisp for Two

You can serve it naked, but I definitely recommend serving it with a scoop of vegan ice cream. :) That one is a no brainer. The ice cream gets all melty and warm, creating a gooey, comforting dessert.

IMG 8053   Cardamom Almond Pear Crisp for Two

Can I just say how pumped I am over the spring-like weather forecast next week?

weather   Cardamom Almond Pear Crisp for Two

Anyone else being blessed by warmer weather?

Natasha March 9, 2012

This looks delicious and simple!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape March 9, 2012

This looks fantastic!! The perfect sweet treat :D

Hollie March 9, 2012

The weather has been weirdly warm in Winnipeg this winter. This week it’s highs of 5 degrees. With the daylight saving time adjustment this week I can finally start running outside after I put the kidlets to bed. I’m kind of a wimp and I don’t like running in the dark in the suburbs. If I slipped and fell on the ice somewhere and knocked myself out, the snowbanks would hide me. :)

Maureen March 9, 2012

BEAUTIFUL new header on your site! It’s my first time visiting in a month or so.

Your pictures are always amazing, but today’s are really stunning. They evoke a feeling of sitting in a cafe somewhere … sounds lovely!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 10, 2012

Thanks Maureen!

Courtney@Delicious Ramble March 9, 2012

Looks tasty! I have some apples that are close to their end, I might do something similar.

Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes March 9, 2012

This looks scrumptious!!! And very beautiful!

Kathy March 9, 2012

That ice cream, melting into the crisp! Oh my goodness, I want some of that!
You’re so lucky to be blessed with warm weather. I’m expected to have TEN days of rain!

Michelle @ Esculent Dreams March 9, 2012

ooo these look so yummy! wish i had cardamom….it’s always so expensive >_<

Kate March 10, 2012

I am dying to make a fruit crisp! I haven’t made any kind of legit dessert in such a long time. Sounds awesome. I’ll have to hunt down some ramekins though, don’t believe I have any.

Dara March 10, 2012

Hi Angela,
I know I have already asked you to take a gander at the apple-chestnut recipe. I will let you know that I attempted at making my own vegan version and they came out good but I wasnt blown away so maybe your recipe will be better.
Anyhow, I have recently discovered loquats (japanese plums) and I am wondering if you have ever cooked/eaten these? I am finding a lot of homemade jam recipes for them.
Also, what about farina or crema de arroz? Also known as cream of wheat. I usually eat this for breakfast and I LOVE it but I am wondering you are familiar with any strange recipes that use this?

Thanks for the awesomeness!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers March 10, 2012

Thank you for this! I’m always looking for smaller dessert recipes. I’m the only one in my house who eats sweets, so I don’t need a billion cookies kicking around tempting me!

Nadiya @ Milk and Honey March 10, 2012

Yay! Finally someone appreciates pears :D Looks delicious though!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers March 10, 2012

I love crisps of all kinds and pear comes in second next to apple. Wonderful recipe!!

Pure2raw twins March 10, 2012

oh yum, love cardamom! one of my favorite spices

Jamie March 10, 2012

This looks so amazing, delicious, scrumptious, and absolutely perfect! I’ve been having a sweet tooth lately and need some inspiration for lighter sweets to keep me satisfied. Thank you so much for sharing this!

Andrea March 10, 2012

I have been making individual pear crisps for night time snacks all week! :) SO good. So Delicious Coconut Milk Vanilla Bean ice cream on the side has been my weakness. Have you tried it? Heavenly. We are going to be having some unusually warm weather next week too! Can’t wait!

Holly W March 10, 2012

This sounds so delicious and your photos are beautiful! I’m not a HUGE pear fan, but I would like to be.. ha, does that sound weird? Maybe this is the recipe to get me into them!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 10, 2012

know what you mean Im not a huge pear fan either!

Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt March 10, 2012

What a beautiful bowl of goodness!

Amelia March 10, 2012

Made a personal apple version of this last night with walnuts… saving my only pear for a walnut salad today. Regardless, it was delicious (and I took your advice with the ice cream topping, too)! Thanks for the inspiration/recipe. :)

Amelia March 10, 2012

Also, I’m loving the weather as well… went for my first run outside in a couple months and that air felt great! I did 5.6 miles in 54 minutes; pretty slow but hey, gotta start somewhere. I wish I could keep that pace that you do… although I have to say, I have been switching it up on my treadmill warm-up before weights, kind of like your treadmill workouts, and I think it’s made a difference!

Willow March 10, 2012

I love how much care and attention you put into your recipes, Angela – going back to test and re-test the pancakes shows so much dedication.

The crisp looks wonderful – I wish I had a ramekin of it sitting in front of me right now! I’ve been loving the use of cardamom lately, and in combination with the pears… oh my! I’ll definitely have to give this a try sometime. :)

Carla March 10, 2012

Awesome recipe! My hubby has a disease and even his allowable fruit list is small. I’m pretty sure I can make this for him with no subs. Thanks!

Joann@womaninreallife March 10, 2012

Here’s to the weather! Spring is coming Angela, even in Ontario! ;)

Alisha @ Pink Spatulas March 10, 2012

Both the pear crisp and the apple strawberry recipe look delicious! I can’t wait for summer berry season. Yum!

Kyle Elizabeth March 10, 2012

Your blog has changed the way I see food and eating.
Thank-you so much for what you are doing.
You are changing lives!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 11, 2012

Thanks Kyle, that means so much to me!

Natasha March 10, 2012

This looks so delicious! I bought some pears this week and they were all unripe… and still haven’t ripened. I think they’re doomed. :(

Harriet March 10, 2012

Have fallen in live with oh she glows! Thank you so much for such great recipes and ideas. Been having VOO’s all week and had my first green monster this morning- not as scary as I thought!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 11, 2012

I’m happy to hear that Harriet!

Susan March 11, 2012

Your timing is impeccable – I wanted to make a not too sweet, healthy dessert for supper last night and low and behold you posted this blog. I was excited about the combination of pears and cardamom and thus was disappointed to discover that I was out of cardamom and had to substitute cinnamon :( Oh well, it was still fabulous. I can’t wait to make it again when I do have cardamom!

Kelly March 11, 2012

I made this last night & it was so good. I have never thought of using pears like that. The sun is shining it’s 49 degrees here & I want to run!

Zestful Lou March 11, 2012

BEAUTIFUL spoons!!! woweeeee!

Eva March 11, 2012

This desert looks very (very-very) delicious! Not to mention that with the still slightly chilly weather here (today we had our first real spring-ish sun) – a warm dessert like this one is extra appreciated.

I usually make something similar (replace the pears with apples, change some of the herbs and add more things like rolled oats and other healthy grains) for breakfast. But I never thought of pear and cardemon before. Which is silly, because I love both – so thank you for this recipe! :D

I also never had vegan ice-cream before but then again: there is a first time for everything. I must admit that I have gotten more than curious about it after all the praise from various people!

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles March 11, 2012

I love the idea of using cardamom spice in a crisp or cobbler! Especially perfect for pears, yum! =)

Holly March 11, 2012

I made this last night but I used Granny Smith Apples. It was soooooooo good. The topping is so addicting. I am going to make a cherry one tonight. THANK YOU

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 12, 2012

Hey Holly, Im happy you enjoyed it!

Allison@commitcomplete March 11, 2012

That crisp looks delicious!

Brittany@FloydsKitchen March 11, 2012

YES! I LOVE MINIATURE DESSERTS! you rock ange. Keep it up. Also, im getting antsy about the cookbook…I just want it HERE ALREADY!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama March 11, 2012

I love making 2 serving desserts. It’s perfect for me and hubby without overindulging for days. Plus, I love a good fruit crisp!

We are enjoying absolutely beautiful weather in NH! All week it’s supposed to be nice. Keep your fingers crossed that Spring is here!

Katherine March 11, 2012

Ohh this looks amazing!! Can’t wait to try it!
I am allergic to almonds- do you think I should just omit them or would another nut work well as a substitution? Thanks!

Kathleen March 12, 2012

Hi Angela!

I love your blog and have been reading it for years. Keep up the yummy cooking! Like you, I’m a runner, and have been vegan for about 5 months. Recently though I found out that I am anemic, and was wondering what you do to make sure you get enough iron? I would love if you had a “super iron meal” recipe or something like that. (Spinach, quinua, lentil, tofu sort of thing? It sounds yummy already). I’m taking supplements now but I would much rather be able to get my iron from my diet than a pill!

And yes, we’ve had warm weather in Ithaca, NY too! Yesterday was beautiful, went on an 11 mile run, and I was so happy.

Best,

Kathleen

Julie March 13, 2012

I had four pears looking at me somewhat sadly so I whipped this up for dessert last night. It was so delicious and because I doubled the recipe, we had leftovers to take to school/work today for lunch. Perfect! :)

marla September 14, 2012

Love this recipe! Will be linking back to this in my upcoming post :)

Page 2 of 2«12