Getting My Frosty On

IMG 2523   Getting My Frosty On

It’s official: I’m hooked on 5k races!

My second 5k race is under my belt…err…bib, after yesterday’s Frosty 5k race in Burlington. I had such a blast. There was also a half marathon going down…kudos to the brave souls who ran it yesterday!

IMG 2499   Getting My Frosty On

Unlike my last 5k race a few weeks ago, the skies were blue and the roads were clear. The temperature seemed innocent enough (-4C), but the wind was bone chilling being so close to the lake. Although, once I started running it wasn’t so bad. The cold isn’t as noticeable when you are breathless and busting some booty on the race course!

One thing I love about winter races? The later start time. The race didn’t start until 10:05am, so that meant that I could sleep in until almost 8am feeling nice and rested when I got up.

IMG banana   Getting My Frosty On

For some yummy pre-race fuel, I enjoyed a wrap with a banana and a couple spoonfuls of sunflower seed butter.

wrap   Getting My Frosty On

and a juicy grapefruit for extra hydration.

IMG 7722   Getting My Frosty On

We got to the race about 45 minutes early, so I took advantage of the free time to empty my bladder. However, the porta potty line ups were huge and not moving very quickly. I waited in line for 20 minutes, before bailing at the last minute so I’d make it to the start line on time. What a tease! Needless to say, holding my bladder throughout the 5k was not fun. That grapefruit clearly put me over the edge…darn you, grapefruit!

There is something to be said about running a race with hundreds of other people (well, thousands if you count the half marathoners); it’s instant motivation and the excitement is contagious, even in the winter.

IMG 2509   Getting My Frosty On

After a cold wait, it was finally time to begin!

IMG 2518   Getting My Frosty On

I got off to a slower than normal start, but it ended up being a blessing because I think I would have gone out too hard. I just wanted to sprint to get warm!

IMG 2522   Getting My Frosty On

The course itself was a simple “out and back” route on a linear, mostly flat course (along Lakeshore) which is perfect for setting a new PR. I love out and back courses because I get to see the faster people coming back (while I’m still going out) and it’s quite motivating to see them zoom by. The first place finisher had a time of 15:29! Crazy.

I felt so happy during the entire race and I think it was probably one of the strongest races that I’ve run, mentally and physically.

Soon enough I was rounding the last bend to the finish line.

See that YELLOW Powerbar “finish line”? When I rounded the last corner, I thought that was the finish line, so I gunned it as hard as I could only to discover that the finish line was actually a couple hundred metres further!

#epicfail

IMG 2537   Getting My Frosty On

I was now out of breath and really struggling not to stop and walk to the actual finish line. The spectators really gave me my last bit of motivation to keep running.

IMG 2537 2   Getting My Frosty On

There wasn’t any smiling for cameras or even looking for Eric. Just me and the finish line, baby!

IMG 2545   Getting My Frosty On

The real finish line:

IMG 2549   Getting My Frosty On IMG 2551   Getting My Frosty On

…and then I bolted to the nearest bathroom. :)

My official stats:

Chip time: 22:37

Ranking: 4th in my division (25-29 yr old women), 13th out of 390 women, and 52nd out of 577 runners

Avg pace per km: 4:32 min/km

Avg pace per mile: 7:16 min/mile

I beat my previous 5k race time by just over 30 seconds, so that was a nice bonus. I think the speed work has been helping!

IMG 2557   Getting My Frosty On

I came home and made a recovery smoothie and then had a hot shower. Hot shower = Best feeling ever after a winter race.

IMG 2559   Getting My Frosty On

I used this Vega Performance protein powder and added in a big frozen banana and lots of almond milk. Yum.

IMG 2562   Getting My Frosty On

The nutritional info (click to enlarge)

IMG 2564 thumb   Getting My Frosty On

Sketchie was overjoyed to hear about my race. Not.

IMG 7847   Getting My Frosty OnIMG 7875   Getting My Frosty On IMG 7876   Getting My Frosty On

So as you can tell, I’m loving the 5k distance. I guess I shouldn’t be too surprised because I used to run short distances in track and field and always loved them.

Here are some things that I love about 5k races…

• Shorter recovery time: I’m not too sore after my 5k races (just stiff muscles). After my last 5k race I took a couple days off exercise and then I felt fine to get back into my normal routine. After my half marathons however, I had to take 2 weeks off exercise to recover and occasionally sustained mild injuries. The reduced down time with the 5k is a major plus in my books! Of course, that’s not to say that you can’t get injured running a 5k because you obviously can with any distance.
  • Less training time: My 5k training runs are between 3-5 miles, about 4 times per week. I don’t have to spend more than about 25-45 minutes out of my day to train. This is a huge plus when busy.
  • Less Prep: I don’t need to bring water, energy gels, or anything else like I do with longer distances. It’s quite effortless to prepare for.

Have you ever run a 5k race or are you thinking about running one some day? For all of you runners: what is your favourite race distance?

If you are looking to start running, I’ve heard great things about the Couch to 5k 9-week running program. If you start now, you can run your first 5k race at the beginning of May! Maybe if some of you have done the C25k before, leave a comment below telling us about your experience. It may help others who are thinking about starting.

Elly March 5, 2012

Nice job, Angela! That’s a kick-ass time :) As Leah said, I’d also love to hear more about your workout routine at the moment! Congrats again!

Curly J March 5, 2012

Congrats on your 5k!! That’s amazing! I’m hoping to try one out in the next few months. Last year I started the couch to 5k program and made it to week 4 feeling FANTASTIC. But then the warm summer days came on and I got discouraged so I quit :(. BUT I started again last week and I’m hoping to go the full distance this time. I’ve read some great suggestions on how to combat the heat (if that comes up again haha). Reading your running posts have been a great motivation!! Keep it up! :)

Heather @ Better With Veggies March 5, 2012

Congratulations on a great race and hardware!!! I have a hard time picking a favorite distance, they are all challenging in different ways. If pressed, I guess I would choose a half marathon right now – not short enough that you are miserable the whole time, but not long enough to need the recovery time of a marathon. :)

Katie March 5, 2012

I just bookmarked the C2K program the other day.

I’ve always wanted to be able to go for a 2-3 mile run for a few of my exercise days each week, but haven’t ever managed to get to the point of solidly running that whole amount. I’m thinking I’ll use C2K this spring and maybe reach this goal for the summer!

Stephanie @ Legally Blinde March 5, 2012

When I first read the title of your post, it made me think of a Frosty from Wendy’s :) Congratulations on the race – you did so well! 4th in your division, 13th out of 390 women, and 52nd out of 577 runners are all really impressive!

Pam March 5, 2012

Congrats! You are super speedy!!! I have run one 5k, one 10k and one 15k :) My 5k time was around 32 minutes :) I am slow and steady. haha Speedwork would probably help, but I just like getting out there and running.

I live in Edmonton and haven’t been running outside yet this year but am thinking about doing a 5k St Paddy’s Day race next weekend, depending on how much snow/ice is on the ground!

Lauren March 5, 2012

Wow, you are so fast! In high school, I ran the 5K in 19:56 (PR), but I haven’t come close over 10 years later. What do you do for speed work?

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 5, 2012

Wow, Sub-20 for a 5k is super fast! I had a few kids BLOW by me yesterday…they were, I’m guessing, 8-10 years old. and a young girl also sped by me at the finish line. heh. here’s the speedwork I’ve been doing lately: http://ohsheglows.com/2012/02/17/busting-boredom-on-the-treadmill-5-mile-5km-workouts/

Vicki March 5, 2012

Congrats Angela!
When I saw the picture of your macadamia-almond butter on your previous post I decided I COULDN’T wait for the cookbook to be released to make it. So I took out some ingredients I GUESSED you could have used, threw them in my food processor and YUM!!! it turned out so amazing. Can’t wait to try your version someday!!!

Kaleigh March 5, 2012

Awesome time! Congrats. I love Vega Protein too!

Annie March 5, 2012

I just graduated from C25K and I’m planning on doing the next one up: bridge to 10K. I haven’t entered any races though as I am sooooo slow and a little worried about looking silly?!

well done again on your amazing time :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 5, 2012

I used to be terrified to sign up for a race too, but you will see such a wide range of fitness abilities, ages, etc. It’s really inspiring just to see people out there! The first time will likely be a bit scary since you don’t know what to expect, but it’s honestly way more fun and less scary than I initially imagined (and Im a very anxious person!)

Annie March 5, 2012

thanks :) I might give it a go then, there are a couple of 5 and 10 k races in June :) x

Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner March 5, 2012

Congrats on a great run.. that’s a great time!! Was that the Chilly half and frosty 5km that you ran? Are you running the 5km in Around the Bay on the 25th?
I really like running 5km and half marathons… I want to get back into running 5k’s… I agree, they are fun and speedy!

Betsy March 5, 2012

Congrats! A 7:16 mile is really impressive!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers March 5, 2012

Wow, way to go! That’s super speedy. :)

Jaclyn T March 5, 2012

Speedy Ange! Way to go!

I have done ONE race, which was a 5 km this past Dec. I have RAD (Reactive Airway Disease), which is, very much not rad. This makes running in the cold difficult, so I limit my outdoor runs in l’hiver (treadmill time, baby). My time for this race was 35:18, and it featured a long hellish incline (thank you, uptown Saint John), so I was pretty happy, even though my time was a bit longer than my “usual” 5K runs. I run for the enjoyment and am not competitive, so I was surprised that I had the “race itch” and that it was pretty fun.

Heidi March 5, 2012

Great job on the 5K! Your stories (and recipes) are a joy to read. Keep up the good work!

Yvette March 5, 2012

Congrats Angela-
I LOVE redaing your posts – you seem like such a great person and you don’t take yourself too seiously! In the year that I’ve been reading your blog I have gone vegan and also started on a fitness journey. I feel better than I ever have. Please know that you are inspiring people all over the world to live a better life. I know I will never be the same again – I enjoy my healthy new body so much. I still have work to do on myself – but I know I can achieve my goals.

Yours sincerely – Yvette, Sydney, Australia

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 6, 2012

I’m so happy to hear that Yvette! Thanks for sharing. Congrats on all your changes :)

Kellie March 5, 2012

Super inspiring! I also did a 5km race on Sunday and I agree, they are so much fun! Its a good little feeling of achievement and a boost of inspiration to train for the next one (in May – hooray!). Well done :)

J'lene March 5, 2012

Congratulations! I’m running my first 5K in a few weeks and am on my last week of doing the Couch to 5K training program. The Couch to 5K training program was a great way to ease into running longer distances and I loved seeing my progress. I think I’ve definitely got the “itch to run” now and hopefully have the confidence to do more races after I get this first one under my belt!

Brittany March 5, 2012

Hey! Do you ever feel like the treadmill and the garmin dont match in their times? Like you could be running quite fast on the treadmill say a 8:30 mile pace but it feels like your running faster than that?

Karen March 5, 2012

Stellar job, Ange…you are one speedy lady! Huge Congrats!

Anastasia@healthymamainfo.com March 5, 2012

Congratulations on a new RP!!! Very impressive!

Luv What You Do March 5, 2012

I have run a few 5K’s, but my favorite race distance is an 8-10K, although half marathons are super fun too. I love races…they always keep me motivated throughout the year!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 5, 2012

It’s so funny to see my city in your pictures – you probably ran right by my house! :D

Congrats on your PR!

Jacqueline@digintobooks March 5, 2012

Congratulations!!!! I think it’s great that you’re out doing what you love. Loved the pics of Sketchie today – how cute!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) March 5, 2012

What a great time Angela! Congrats!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama March 5, 2012

Wow! Great job! I’m doing my first ever 5 mile race on Sunday. I usually go for longer races (10k and half marathon). A half in my favorite so far! I also just signed up for my first full marathon. I’ll let you know how I feel about long distances after that!

Annie March 5, 2012

Congrats! I just have to say, Sketchie is one of the prettiest cats I’ve seen. What beautiful markings and eyes! :)

Dr. Evan March 5, 2012

Congratz to you! I really like your choices for both breakfast and after the run. Healthy choices provide needed nutrients and electrolyts for the longevity that is so desperatly needed in lengthy workouts.

Susan March 5, 2012

I’d like to try a 5K or maybe even a 10K as I think it’s totally doable. Given that I live in SK however, there’s not too much going on at this time of year. I used to think that I wanted to run a marathon or even a half marathon, but now I’m thinking that’s too much time to dedicate to training and thus 5 or 10K is more in line with my time committment. I’ll have to look around and find a race to sign up for. Thanks for the inspiration!

andrea (Our Lighter Footsteps) March 5, 2012

Congrats, on another race!! I love your pink jacket. Question, is that a brown rice tortilla? If so, how do you make it soft? I find that they are so dry that I cannot roll them up?!?!

I love Vega and could not train without it. Congrats again :)

Meggie March 5, 2012

Hi Angela! You always look so cute on race days, how on earth do you do it?? Would you mind sharing some tips/favorites for cold weather running? I think maybe you’ve done it in the past, I’ll keep looking! Thanks!

Emily March 5, 2012

I love your blog…you are inspirational! Do you still not use a scale? (You look so tiny!) I am addicted to my scale but want to stop. Please tell me!

Stacie March 5, 2012

Go Speed Racer go!! Congrats:) Such a good feeling!!

Bridget March 5, 2012

That’s really funny, because my PR right now is 23:08 and I’m 29. I haven’t been able to break 23 min… I’d better start doing some of your speed workouts! Maybe I can drop 30 seconds off my PR too :) Congrats on a great race! Also, I ate my last grapefruit yesterday and just seeing that picture made me so jealous of you… must.go.get.more.grapefruit.

Andrea March 5, 2012

Angela!!!! 4th place?! That’s insane! You’re sooo fast, seriously. I don’t think I could ever be that fast. I ran my first 5k in 28:47 and I almost cried crossing the finish line I was so exhausted. You go girl!!!

Meredith March 5, 2012

Good job on the race! That protein powder is my current favourite – so yummy!

Heather March 5, 2012

My normal runs are 6 miles, which I consider pretty easy. Right now I am loving half marathon runs. My current training is for two marathons, one in June (Ann Arbor) and then in October (Detroit). Yesterday I completely my longest distance so far – 18 miles!! I have a set training plan where I run 3 days a week and cross train the other 4 days. Congrats to you on such a great run!

Willow March 5, 2012

Great post, Angela! Running a 5k sounds like so much fun, but I’ve never done one myself. I enjoy running (especially shorter distances… don’t think I’d be up for a half marathon) but just recently I went out for a 3.5 mi. run and came back limping. My right knee was just a little sore, so I figured I’d torqued it slightly on the terrain, but even now it aches a little when I try to jog. Afraid I might be out of commission longer than I thought to let this recover… such a bummer when I feel so good being active!

Katie March 6, 2012

So impressed with your race time! The first race I ever ran was a 5K and sprinting to finish at a 10:00 minute mile average was intense. I haven’t tried a 5K since I was 15 so I would be curious to see how differently I would perfom now that I have several years of running under my belt and a completely renewed perspective on training.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers March 6, 2012