7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

When I was a child, I only wanted to wear my two favourite outfits.

One of them was a neon pink and green spandex short and tank top combo and the other was a neon pink polka dot legging/skirt and t-shirt combo. Might I add, accessorized with a scrunchie, snap-on bracelet, and HIGH TOP kicks. I’ve always been pretty fashion forward. I bet my mom is laughing right now because she spent so many mornings trying to convince me that I couldn’t just wear the same thing everyday.

I guess I still don’t believe her, as I look down at the jeans I’ve been wearing for the past two weeks straight. :)

IMG 00011   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

[Check out that pose]

I also go on major kicks with food. In 2009 and 2010, I ate so many Mary’s Crackers, now I can’t even bring myself to look at them. I’ve also had so much chocolate, I didn’t touch it for months.

Wait, that didn’t happen….obviously.

Anyways, here are the foods I’m loving lately. Ask me again in a month, and I’ll probably want nothing to do with them.

#1 Grapefruit

They’re incredibly juicy, healthy, flavourful, and in season to boot. Now is the time to give them another shot if you’ve been on the fence. Try the Rose or Ruby varieties- they tend to have a nice balance of sweet and tart flavours. I find the right grapefruit doesn’t need any sweetener!

Last weekend, I ate 3 grapefruit in the span of one day…it was glorious, if not mildly insane. I had juice all over my face like a 2 year old. Did I mention I used to hate grapefruit?

IMG 7724   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

#2 Rawtella

Step aside Nutella, there is a new spread in town. A couple weekends ago, I had my first experience visiting Organic Garage. I laughed, I cried (over the bill mostly), and I stalked every inch of the store with a fine tooth comb. Let’s just say I’ll never be the same again.

Especially, after trying out this little gem…

IMG 7827   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

Picture with me for a moment Nutella with a rich, deep coffee flavour. Only this kind is vegan and raw, made with organic raw hazelnuts, organic raw cacao nibs, coffee beans, raw coconut sugar.

As you can see it is now empty. :\

IMG 7829   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

Please keep me away from Organic Garage. It’s clearly dangerous.

#3 Fresh Rosemary

IMG 7832   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

Remember last summer when I told you that my outdoor potted rosemary plant was dying a slow, horrible death, despite my best intentions (read: over-watering and then neglecting for 2 months). I totally gave up on the plant by October and moved it into the garage for storage.

Well, you can imagine my surprise when I went into the garage last weekend and a friend pointed out that my rosemary plant was growing!!

IT’S ALIIIIIIIIIVEEEE! OH IT’S ALIIIVEEEEEE.

IMG 7830   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

All it needed was a window in the garage and a bit of moisture from the air. Who knew?

Mind you, the parsley on the other hand, is not so low maintenance…it weeps for a better gardener.

IMG 7831   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

I’ve been on a huge rosemary kick with my recipes lately, including this savoury nut butter that I made for the cookbook:

IMG 7835   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

Oh man am I excited to share this recipe with you! It’s inspired by my favourite savoury spiced nut mix….and easily one of the best nut butters I’ve tasted in all my years.

I also made a luxurious vanilla macadamia-almond nut butter, that will blow your mind.

IMG 7442 2   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

#4 Five Seed Rosemary and Garlic Crackers

Sticking with the rosemary theme, this box of crackers didn’t last more than a day or two in this house. They are like a corn chip in cracker form filled with goodies like flax, hemp, and sesame seeds.

IMG 7833   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

#5 Millet

I’m using it in everything these days. That is, when I’m not burning it to a black crisp or over-cooking it, which is about every third attempt. Note to self: Find and buy a clip-on timer. Someone mentioned in the comments that I need a clip-on timer like they use in science labs. Where can I find one of these little gems?

IMG 7760   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

#6 White Linen Collection Marinara Sauce

I’m so obsessed with this sauce, I contemplated dedicating an entire post to it. Kristi first introduced this sauce to me a year or two ago and I fell head over heels for this stuff. Then our Costco membership expired and I went without it for a year. Costco is now back in our lives and so is this magnificent sauce. I buy 5 bottles at a time when we go…not even joking! I’d tell you what foods it goes good with, but the easiest thing thing to tell you is what foods it doesn’t go good with.

Nothing.

IMG 6256   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

Well, maybe grapefruit.

I was at Costco the other week and a lady was loading up her cart with this sauce. She said to me, “Have you tried this marinara sauce before?? It’s the BEST marinara I’ve ever tried! All of my Italian relatives buy it because it tastes so authentic.”

We were instantly best friends and then we stacked the bottles into our carts like crazy people.

As soon as tomato season hits, I’m going to try my best to replicate this sauce. Although, I’m not sure how close I will come as they use Italian tomatoes…

#7 Vanilla Beans….the cheaper way!

To those of you who told me that I can find vanilla beans at Costco for cheap…you will forever hold a special place in my heart.

You get about 10 beans for $15 here in Canada (I read they are $12 in the US!), which is the cheapest I’ve ever seen them. Best of all they are great quality and so far, nice and fresh.

061809 vanilla   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

[image source: The Kitchn]

Also note, thanks to a few readers, you can buy 54 vanilla beans on Amazon for $27!! However, I just found out they don’t ship to Canada.

As many of you have already noticed, I finally created my new winter header, just 18 days shy of spring! Miracles do happen. The real miracle will be if this thing isn’t still up by Labour Day. By the way, press control + F5 to refresh your page if you can’t see the new header.

Who says winter is only dark and gloomy?

IMG 7824 5   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

True story: I almost pulled my groin while doing this photoshoot outside yesterday. The deck was covered in snow and I slipped while moving my tripod. Groin almost pulled. Thankfully it wasn’t, because I have a 5km race on Sunday! woot woot :)

Now tell me, what foods are YOU obsessing over lately? Spill the beans.

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva March 4, 2012

loving ABC butter (almond brazils and cashews)…totally know what you mean about nutella! I love the stuff but avoid it cuz of the dairy…I might try my hand at making a dairy free version

Debbie c March 4, 2012

Love that you mention millet. I absolutely love it and have been eating it for about 20 years. When I tell people about it they look at me like I am crazy…they think i mean the bird food. Anyway, your recipe looks incredible especially since I am also obsessed with kale these days.

I have been obsessing over Kitchen Table Bakers aged parmesan crisps. I’m sorry I ever tried them. Since I basically eat low carb they are a great snack and incredibly tasty and addicting.

Also craving buckwheat lately.

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed March 4, 2012

I always do that with music. I find an album I love, listen to it over and over, and then I can’t listen to it anymore!

I usually think grapefruits are just too sour… maybe I’m not eating the right ones? Hmmm.

I’m pretty obsessed with sauteed peppers, onions, and mushrooms… I throw them on everything!

Tida March 5, 2012

Articokes!!! I am addicted, I’ve have been adding them to anything and everything (salads, veggie burgers, sandwiches, quasadillas, wraps………)

MasPublicHealth March 5, 2012

LOVE the new header! Hope it does stay up until Labor Day. :) Although, it will be funny to see throughout summer, with the snow in it. Maybe it’ll keep us all cool.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 5, 2012

hehe :) true true! Thanks, I’m glad you like it.

Katy March 5, 2012

When I was little, my favorite outfit was a bright yellow matching Power Ranger sweater. Fortunately, my taste in clothes has gotten better.

Awesome lists of healthy foods! I really need to start getting back into healthy eating.

Elizabeth March 5, 2012

Oh – I love Organic Garage!!! I haven’t been there for so long…I must make a trip. And I must make a note to pick up that yummy spread. Coffee and chocolate – how can you go wrong? White Linen is our favorite from Costco. I always stock up too. My husband makes an amazing marinara sauce but this is a very very close second. We had it last night with some sauteed garlic and mushrooms and red pepper flakes for our our penne arrabiata. Yum.

Carrie March 5, 2012

You need some Saladmaster cookware so you don’t have to worry about burning your grains!

Kris March 5, 2012

Love the new header :)

Kayti March 6, 2012

My Costco doesn’t carry the White Linen Collection Marinara Sauce. :( I wonder if I can call and request it. I live in Ohio, US. I’m about to look online and see if I can buy it.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 6, 2012

bummer! I heard it is one of their best sellers, so maybe it will be easy to convince them…goodluck

Kristi March 8, 2012

Im obsessed with overnight oatmeal with chia seeds, cocoa powder, almond milk and a banana in it. Green smoothies, butternut squash, natural peanut butter and kale have been obsessions lately too. I have recently gotten over over my pumpkin obsession, but it may kick in again soon. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 8, 2012

haha I got over pumpkin too…tried bringing it back a couple w/e’s ago, but I was still sick of it!

Lilah March 9, 2012

Hey if you haven’t tried it before cinnamon is AMAZING on grapefruit

oceanside orthodontist March 11, 2012

That Rawtella looks divine! I’m obsessed with nutella, but the idea of getting a maximum flavor of something raw and similar excites me. And I didn’t know that you can find packed vanilla beans in certani grocery stores, I’m going to file through ours and see if they offer the same thing.

Val R March 13, 2012

I find if you segment the grapefruit it is really worth the effort as it eliminates most of the pith (white stuff) therefore not making them so bitter, it really is worth the effort, (until your man and the kids want what your having)!

Robin March 14, 2012

My *favorite* timer is the Polder timer. http://amzn.to/xkMT9b
Not a clip-on, but on a neck string which actually works better for me. It has a time, count-up/stopwatch, and clock. Now you’ll never burn your millet…or anything else!

Chelsea March 26, 2012

sweet potatoes! it’s embarrassing how many i eat in a week.

Angela March 27, 2012

Love the post. It’s inspired me to create some new things with grapefruit!

By the way, for amazing fresh vanilla beans, you can buy directly from this supplier (and they ship, just about free, to canada!)

AK March 27, 2012

Best place to get Vanilla ( and it’s a local Canadian company from Vancouver)

Love the post, by the way. Am itching to try this new no-peeling beets before roasting, business!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 28, 2012

thanks I will check them out!!

Meral April 9, 2012

First, I love your blog! I am a Jewish wife that loves discovering more vegan (or parve) recipes. However, I wanted to inform you that #4 Five Seed Rosemary and Garlic Crackers are actually dairy, because they contain a Jewish symbol for dairy on it. I am not sure if you familiar with Kosher laws or symbols, but if you want to know more to double check your vegan products, here is a link…. http://www.kosherquest.org/symbols.php

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 9, 2012

Thanks for the heads up, I will certainly look into it!

Julie August 1, 2012

I had no idea they had vanilla beans at Costco!

Vegan Radhika Sarohia December 20, 2012

Lately for me, it’s been butternut squash, spaghetti squash, basil/pesto, kale and bananas. But I’m branching out haha! I wanna try making vegan turnip hashbrowns and definitely want to make some sort of beets recipe :)

Kseniya March 9, 2013

Where is your silverware from? I love it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 9, 2013

thank you! It’s from a bunch of different places :) second hand stores often for antique looking food props.

Debra July 25, 2013

Completely obsessed with the White Linen Collection Marinara Sauce!! I can’t get enough of it! I have a single jar left in my pantry and I am in a panic! That’s how I found your blog. I was googling it. With my continued obsession with delicious, fruity, olive oil, and of course garlic, I still ‘doctor’ this sauce. A bit of sautéed onions and garlic on olive oil and a bit of salt and pepper. Sometimes add red pepper flakes during the sautéing.

Happy eating!