Cozy Millet Bowl with Mushroom Gravy and Kale

IMG 7761   Cozy Millet Bowl with Mushroom Gravy and Kale

I present to you…

Healthy. Winter. Cozy. Comfort. Food.

For you.

And me.

And mah belly.

IMG 7751   Cozy Millet Bowl with Mushroom Gravy and Kale

Am I the only one who occasionally screams Get in mah belly a la Austin Powers before I eat a good meal?

I thought so.

Let’s talk go-to meals. What are yours? Lately mine are big vegan bowls made up with a base of grains, sautéed vegetables/protein, and a tasty sauce to tie it all together. I can thank Fresh restaurant for my little obsession with bowls. I like to make them at home for a fraction of the cost. There’s just something so satisfying about digging into a huge bowl with a seemingly bottomless pit, isn’t there? Plus, bowls can be changed up countless ways, so you never get bored. Although, I could probably eat the same combo for a few weeks straight without blinking an eye…

During the winter I tend to crave hot, stick-to-your-ribs bowls and in the summer I crave cold, lighter bowls. This is a stick-to-your-ribs kinda bowl…the bowl you make when your house is frigid and no matter how many layers you have on, you can’t shake the chill from your bones. That kind of night calls for a gravy bowl.

And guess what? It just happens to be good for you.

IMG 7744   Cozy Millet Bowl with Mushroom Gravy and Kale

For the base, I used fluffy millet. This is different from the scorched millet which was my first attempt. Fluffy millet is also different from the overcooked mushy millet which was my second attempt. When you don’t forget to set the timer and leave the room, it’s light and fluffy like quinoa, but heartier and denser, in a stick-to-your-ribs kind of way that is perfect for the colder months. If millet isn’t your thing, you can easily change up the grain. Quinoa, rice, barley, noodles, etc would all work well here.

I topped the millet with a healthy but rich mushroom gravy and kale for a pop of super power. Easy but fabulous.

Cozy Millet Bowl with Mushroom Gravy and Kale

Feeling cozy? Snuggle up with this comforting bowl of vegan goodness. The dish feels rich without the heaviness that usually comes with traditional gravy. Nutritional info follows.

Print this recipe

Yield: 2 servings

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup uncooked millet (makes ~2 cups cooked)
  • 1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 cups chopped sweet onion (1 medium onion)
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 4 cups sliced crimini mushrooms (300 grams)
  • 1.5 tbsp minced fresh rosemary
  • 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
  • 1.5 tbsp low-sodium tamari (soy sauce)
  • 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
  • 1 & 1/4 cup vegetable broth
  • 1 cup fresh chopped kale, stems removed
  • Freshly ground black pepper & kosher salt, to taste

1. Toast millet (optional): In a pot or skillet with a lid, toast the millet over medium heat, stirring frequently, until it starts popping. Be careful you don’t burn it. The goal here is a light toast. Remove from heat. Cook millet: Bring a medium-sized pot of 1 cup water, a pinch of salt, and 1/2 cup uncooked millet to a low boil. Reduce heat to low and cover with tight-fitting lid (with no air holes). Simmer for 15-20 minutes or so. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes covered.  Remove lid and fluff with fork. Set aside.

2. Meanwhile, grab a large skillet and heat oil over medium heat. Add in chopped onions and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes.

3. Add the sliced mushrooms and sauté for about 12 minutes longer, stirring as necessary. Now stir in the rosemary, nutritional yeast, and tamari. Cook for a few minutes.

4. In a small bowl, whisk together the broth and cornstarch until clumps are gone, and then stir into the mushroom mixture. Stir in kale. Cook for another 5-6 minutes or so, until slightly thickened. Portion millet into two bowls and serve the mushroom gravy on top.

Approx Nutritional Info (per serving, serves 2): 355 kcals, 4 grams fat, 63 grams carbs, 11 grams fibre, 6 grams sugar, 16 grams protein.

~~~

This mushroom gravy just screams comfort food. Check out this deliciousness…

IMG 7743   Cozy Millet Bowl with Mushroom Gravy and Kale

If I didn’t have any millet, I would’ve happily enjoyed this gravy all on it’s own. :)

Divide the millet into two bowls and then pour on the gravy mixture on top. That’s all there is to it.

IMG 7760   Cozy Millet Bowl with Mushroom Gravy and Kale

LizAshlee February 27, 2012

Yum, great recipe! I love millet, I made some last week for breakfast…mixed with almond milk, almond butter, stevia and cinnamon! So many choices…sweet, savory, breakfast, dinner! :)

Michaela@pilgrimageofhealth February 27, 2012

Yum yum yum! And no, you’re not the only one that says GET IN MAH BELLY! to particularly delicious food. I do it as well :)

Caitlin @ Cake with Love February 27, 2012

I love mushrooom gravy so much, I made yesterday some ravioli and covered them in mushroom gravy! Delicious!

Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt February 27, 2012

I love mushrooms, gonna have to make this soon!

Amanda February 27, 2012

I love eating big bowls of grains, vegetables and some sort of vegan protein for dinner. I’m also a sucker for anything involving mushrooms and kale, so the fact that you’ve combined the two into a gravy? It doesn’t get much better than that!

Now, if only I hadn’t run out of nutritional yeast…there may just need to be an emergency Whole Foods’ run in my future. :)

Becca February 27, 2012

Sounds delish, but not quite enough protein for me for a dinner meal, so I’d likely add some green lentils or chickpeas. I bet they would taste fab swimming in that gravy!

Cait's Plate February 27, 2012

I definitely need to work mushrooms into my diet more. They’re so hearty and make the perfect meat substitute!

Michelle February 27, 2012

This looks delicious. Do you have a recommendation for a substitute for cornstarch? Thanks!

Jennifer February 27, 2012

arrowroot can substitute…

Angela February 27, 2012

Yup arrowroot or flour will do.

Kris | iheartwellness.com February 27, 2012

Annnnnnd, I could eat this every day!! YUM! How amazing is this dish with the gravy??? OMG!

xxoo

Ashley February 27, 2012

Holy crap. This sounds SO GOOD. Millet is probably my favorite grain and I am a mushroom LOVER. I’ve been meaning to take a stab at mushroom gravy too. Love those “bowl” meals! ;)

vanessa February 27, 2012

Is millet gluten-free?

Angela February 27, 2012

Yes it is :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin February 27, 2012

Grain, protein and veggie bowls are my favourite kind of meal too! There’s something just so much more satisfying about eating from a bowl compared to a plate. :P I’ve been on a major mushroom kick lately, so I love the looks of this recipe. I’ll have to remember to pick up all the ingredients at the grocery store this weekend so that I can make it!

Jasper @ crunchylittlebites February 27, 2012

Millet is on of the main agricultural staples all over the African continent (my entire family lives there)…and it always surprises me how much a fad health craze can go nuts over such a wonderful grain (I’ve noticed health food circles talking about quinoa and millet and barley being these “trendy” foods)…it’s been around for centuries, providing decent nutrition all this time :) I guess I should just be happy that more people are getting into the nutritious food…you’ve been using it for a LONG time, it seems (avid OSG reader :D )

Lisa Rubino February 27, 2012

Is there a substitute for nutritional yeast if I don’t have any on hand?

Thanks,
Lisa

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 27, 2012

Not that I know of. It might still taste fine without it though!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life February 27, 2012

Oh you had me at mushroom gravy. I am a total mushroom fan and this looks like the ultimate comfort meal!

Angela February 27, 2012

This look delicious. I crave exactly what you described in the winter too. It was meant to be that I read this b/c I just cooked a huge batch millet yesterday for millet burgers and I have a lot left over for just this type if meal. I tried my first attempt at Kimberly Snyder’s Millet burgers? Have you read her book? My kitchen seriously revolves around both of your recipes. Yesterday I made your gluten free, vegan chocolate chip cookies. They turned out great and my kids had no clue they were different. Keep the GF recopies coming…I just went gf a month ago, in addition to vegan. Thank you!

Moni'sMeals February 27, 2012

I have got to make this! It looks amazing and so do the photos. My husband loves mushrooms and this would make us both happy. :)

Tiff February 27, 2012

Bowl Meals > Plate Meals
If it can be eaten with a spoon, my odds of liking it double.

Sarah E February 27, 2012

Mushrooms !

Amber K February 27, 2012

I’m going to have to try cooking my millet like this! I’ve tried millet a few times, but it always turned out far crunchier than when I’d cook quinoa.

sophie February 27, 2012

oh wow this looks great!
do you know if i can sub in arrowroot/tapioca starch for the corn? (i am allergive to corn)
thanks for another great recipe <3

Angela February 27, 2012

I cant see why not! :)

Jennifer February 27, 2012

I could substitute quinoa for millet, right?

Angela February 27, 2012

Yea any grain would probably work well

Kelly February 27, 2012

I am having a girlfriend over for dinner tomorrow & was clueless as to what I was going to make…not anymore! This sounds delicious & easy to throw together after a day at work.
Thanks Ange!

Angela February 27, 2012

Let me know if you like it Kelly!

Kelly February 29, 2012

I made it & we both LOVED it! I definitely will be making it again. Wondering if I missed something though…I had the 1 & 1/4 cups chicken broth ready, but didn’t see in the directions where I was supposed to use it?

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 29, 2012

Hey Kelly! its in step 4, do you see it?

Kelly February 29, 2012

I do now, but as I sit here looking at the copy I printed a couple of days ago, it clearly says mix the water with the cornstarch. Which had me confused because I couldn’t find how much water to use & I’ve never worked with cornstarch. I have no clue how my printed copy came out this way, I almost want to scan it & send it to you so you can see I’m not a nutcase! Ahhh, technology! It was still good regardless, but I can’t wait to try it the right way next time!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 29, 2012

Yea that was a typo that I changed shortly after posting. Sorry for the confusion!

burnsy February 27, 2012

I know what I’m having for dinner after I finishing cleansing! The mushrooms are screaming for me right now! Love it!

Dana February 27, 2012

Yum. That looks sooo delicious, I am bookmarking this right now. I LOVE grain bowls too! I make them all the time for fast/delicious/healthy lunches and dinners. They are just so versatile.

Aylin @ Glow Kitchen February 27, 2012

I could just eat the mushroom mixture as is, out of the stovepan!

Cindy R February 27, 2012

This sounds devine. I had a mushroom barley rissotto last night, so will have to wait a few days to try it. With the nutritional yeast, that will make all the difference. By the way, let me be the first (on your blog, anyway) to congratulate you for winning
BEST HEALTHY OR WELLNESS WEBLOG!!!!
I love your blog and hardly every cook anymore without one of your recipes.
Congratulations Angela.

Angela February 27, 2012

Thank you for the congrats! I hadn’t heard until someone tweeted me about it.

Rebecca February 27, 2012

Mmmm looks delicious! I am in such kale-withdrawal here in Paris! Can you believe they don’t have it in this country? Question: I keep hearing I should soak millet (and other grains) before I cook them for better digestion. Do you soak yours? If so, for how long? Thanks!

Ann February 27, 2012

I bought the ingredients today to make this, I’m excited! This is my first time cooking millet. I am impressed by the protein content in this dish, even more reason to love it!

Sara February 27, 2012

this looks delicious! however-your ingredient list has veggie broth on it but your procedure doesnt have it in there…..do you mix the veggie broth with the cornstarch or do you mix water with it?

Grubarazzi (@Grubarazzi) February 27, 2012

Oh yeah, I’m totally interested in this!

Amelia February 27, 2012

Oh yeah, GET IN MY BELLY!! ;) I too have been making quite a few ‘bowl’ creations. They are SO easy and healthy. Right now my favorite combo is quinoa cooked in veg broth (spinach stirred in to wilt at end) then topped with roasted veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, beets, asparagus) and my own vegan ‘cheese’ sauce (1tbsp hummus + 2 tsp nutritional yeast, mustard powder, onion powder, and cayenne with water to thin. Heat and pour over bowl.) So yum!

Sonia February 27, 2012

I love that you posted this recipe today, because last night I made your mushroom and millet soup for my shroom loving boyfriend… he hates most vegan food but he really enjoyed it! I actually used a half of a not beef boullion cube instead vegan worcestershire sauce because I forgot to get it. Oh well. Thanks so much for your recipes, I truly enjoy them! Can’t wait to try this one :)

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) February 27, 2012

This looks extremely delicious and like perfect comfort food. I love meals like this! And I don’t cook millet enough, so here are more excuses :)

Wendi February 27, 2012

Love and appreciate all your recipes Angela! Can’t wait ’til your coodbook comes out.

Ele February 27, 2012

Hi – it’s going to be 30 degrees celcius today in Australia and this dish still looks fantastic! Thanks, what a perfect meal.

Ali @ Project Kale February 27, 2012

Uhhhh….it’s as if you read my mind! Was JUST looking for an awesome vegan recipe with mushrooms. YOU ROCK!

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva February 27, 2012

I’ve been wanting to try millet for some time now! No more excuses, a great hearty filling dinner. Looking forward to the gravy…i love when the sauce soaks into your grains, don’t you?

Meghan February 27, 2012

Made this tonight with quinoa. Sooo delicious!!! Thanks for the great recipe!!!!

Karen February 27, 2012

This recipe has my name written all over it: mushroom sauce, toasted millet, nooch – all in one nutrient dense bowl! (This brings back memories of your delicious mushroom millet soup, which was fantastic!)

Page 2 of 5«12345»