Whole Foods Inspired Layered Salad with Orange Ginger Dressing

IMG 7490   Whole Foods Inspired Layered Salad with Orange Ginger Dressing

Remember this fun layered salad I had from Whole Foods while in Arizona?

IMG 1499   Whole Foods Inspired Layered Salad with Orange Ginger Dressing IMG 1498   Whole Foods Inspired Layered Salad with Orange Ginger Dressing

I believe I said, “Mark my words, this will be the first thing I make when I’m on Canadian soil.”

IMG 1508   Whole Foods Inspired Layered Salad with Orange Ginger Dressing

Ok, so it wasn’t technically the first thing I made (not even close if you could see all the recipe testing I’ve been doing), but at least I remembered to make it at all. Miracles do happen.

IMG 7483   Whole Foods Inspired Layered Salad with Orange Ginger Dressing

With a salad this simple, it really wasn’t difficult to recreate at home. The most difficult part was judging how much of each vegetable/grain I would need and then figuring out how many mason jars and servings it would make. There are a lot of scribbles in my notebook!

IMG 1501 thumb   Whole Foods Inspired Layered Salad with Orange Ginger Dressing

The first thing I did was test out my own version of the Oil-Free Orange Ginger Dressing.

IMG 7477   Whole Foods Inspired Layered Salad with Orange Ginger Dressing

After a few trials, I was happy with the dressing, keeping in mind how light and simple the Whole Foods dressing was. This isn’t a thick or hearty dressing, but simply a light accent to highlight the flavours in the salad. I also added in fresh lime juice to give it a fun twist! Love that kick of lime.

IMG 7478   Whole Foods Inspired Layered Salad with Orange Ginger Dressing

Now, moving onto the salad. I decided to do without the barley in the salad, because I really didn’t want to cook 3 grains on the stove top. Two is plenty for this salad! While I cooked the quinoa and wheatberries on the stovetop, I chopped the vegetables. Oh and I did without the tomatoes because out of season tomatoes are just tragic, aren’t they?

IMG 7480   Whole Foods Inspired Layered Salad with Orange Ginger Dressing

After everything was ready, I started layering, while looking at the original Whole Foods salad as I went. I made four 500-ml mason jars worth, with some grains leftover. The salad will last for about 5 days in the fridge, so this works perfectly for easy lunches to make ahead of time. I’ve also included the exact measurements in the directions, if you’d like to replicate the mason jar layering.

IMG 7506   Whole Foods Inspired Layered Salad with Orange Ginger Dressing

Or, if you aren’t into layering, just dump it into a big bowl or container and mix it up! This is actually what I ended up doing because I brought the salad for a family get together on the weekend. Or you could layer it, I’m sure, in a large glass bowl too. The salad turned out incredibly fresh, light, and just like the one I remember devouring from Whole Foods.

IMG 7494   Whole Foods Inspired Layered Salad with Orange Ginger Dressing

Make Ahead Layered Salad With Oil-Free Orange Ginger Dressing

Just like the Whole Foods salad, but now made in the comfort of your own home. With some advance prep work, you can enjoy this salad all week long.

Print this recipe

Inspired by Whole Foods.

Yield: four 500-ml mason jars, with a bit leftover

for the salad:

• 1 cup uncooked wheatberries (makes 2 & 1/4 cup cooked)
  • 1 cup uncooked quinoa (makes 2.5 cups cooked)
  • 1 cup edamame
  • 1 cup diced carrots (about 2)
  • 1.5 cups diced red pepper (1 large)
  • 1.5 cups diced green pepper (1 large)
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
  • Herbamare or kosher salt, to taste

for the dressing (makes four 1/4 cup servings):

• 2/3 cup 100% pure orange juice (or use freshly squeezed)
  • 1/3 cup 100% pure apple juice
  • 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tbsp fresh minced ginger
  • 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
  • kosher salt, to taste (I used 1/4 tsp)

1. In a medium-sized pot, add quinoa and 1.5 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer, until fluffy, about 15-20 minutes, watching closely so it doesn’t burn. Do the same for the wheatberries, in another pot, but add 2 cups of water and cook until tender and chewy, likely cooking for about 5 mins longer than the quinoa.

2. Meanwhile, chop the vegetables. In a bowl or jar, whisk together the dressing ingredients and set aside.

3. When the grains have cooked, grab your 500-ml mason jars (if layering), and add into each: 1/2 cup wheatberries, 1/4 cup green pepper, 1/4 cup red pepper, 1/2 cup quinoa, 1/4 cup carrots, 2 tbsp parsley, and 1/4 cup edamame per mason jar. You may have to push it down a bit. Repeat as necessary. Makes enough for 4 mason jars, with a bit leftover. Alternatively, you can just mix the salad together into a big bowl along with the dressing. Will keep in the fridge for 5-6 days.

IMG 7502   Whole Foods Inspired Layered Salad with Orange Ginger Dressing

Mark my words, this is one healthy salad that will keep you going all week long. Just don’t forget to have a piece of cookie dough fudge for dessert.

LizAshlee February 17, 2012

This looks so fresh…love WF salads! :)

Sarah L. February 17, 2012

#1. This looks awesome. I can’t wait to make my office jealous when I bring this into work.

#2. Do you know of any great vegetarian friendly cafes or restaurants in Milton? I am meeting a friend there for coffee and food, and would like to go somewhere awesome!

Awesome = word of the day. Happy Friday!

Ashley February 17, 2012

Hurray thanks for recreating this at home! I looooooooove all the Whole Foods layered salads. Well I haven’t tried them all but love the idea. :)

Aimee February 17, 2012

Wow does this look good! Must get to the store to gather the missing ingredients and make this.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers February 17, 2012

Looks amazing and so refreshing!!! I need to make this recipe! Yum!

Amanda February 17, 2012

Beautiful pictures and what a great technique and recipe, thanks!!

Val February 17, 2012

Being a shift-worker who works for 12hrs in a row, this recipe is a life saver! I just made it today and now, my lunches are done for my “work week” (I get back to work tomorrow). Once again, you are a life-saver! Thank you!

TeenyLittleSuperChef February 17, 2012

Yay! I’ve been waiting patiently for you to post your re-creation of this salad ever since you talked about during your trip to Arizona. It sounds just as tasty and wonderful as I imagined it would be. Thanks so much, Angela! I especially love that the dressing doesn’t contain any oil, just good ol juices and vinegar. I can’t wait to whip up a batch of this stuff today!

Lauren February 17, 2012

I am making this for lunches this week. PB&J is toast (he he he)!

Meghan @ Making Love In the Kitchen February 17, 2012

CUTE! Absolutely love the little mason jars full of goodness. Will have to make my own variety of this sweet sweet little salad.

A.Cook February 17, 2012

Beautiful photos! I love the idea of make-ahead salad in such a portable form. Definitely going to make this soon.

I’m with you on the out-of-season tomatoes, too. I actually made your Weekend Glow Kale Salad this morning, but left out the tomatoes because I can’t justify paying a fistful of cash for something that won’t even have any taste. Oh well…summer’s getting closer every day!

jessi@slotheatz.com/ February 17, 2012

Seriously, how awesome is that! A big veggie parfait.

Christine Gillis February 17, 2012

I don’t have a gluten intolerance but I did cut it out almost a year ago (not completely but as much as possible). Do you have a suggestion of what to replace it with rather than cutting it out completely? After checking it’s nutritional info however it is very high in protein and fiber, perhaps wheatberries could be my gluten intake for the week. Thank you for making this recipe and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that you post pics along the way!

Wendy February 29, 2012

I would substitute with kasha or as another poster suggested, red rice.

Ruth February 17, 2012

I made this for a potluck at work today and it got rave reviews from my co-workers, none of whom are vegetarian or vegan. It went together very quickly and was eaten very quickly. Now I have to make more for myself! I love your recipes.

Heidi Bundles Of Hugs February 17, 2012

That looks yummy! I love that you can leave this in the fridge, grab and go!

Ambika February 18, 2012

Wow!! That salad looks beautiful, so colorful and vibrant! I miss whole foods so much :(

Ashlee February 18, 2012

This looks so delicious! I’m definitely making it this week for lunch!

stephanie February 18, 2012

This. Looks. Amazing.

Sylvia February 18, 2012

Do you know the difference between soft and hard wheatberries? I went to purchase some in order to make this salad next week but I wasnt sure of the difference! I chose soft… thanks for posting this I was waiting for it!! <3

Luv What You Do February 18, 2012

I dont’ know if I have seen that one at my WF store! But I will have to try and make it first…much cheaper : )

Ashley February 19, 2012

I made this as soon as I saw the post and I absolutely loved it. I did make two quick changes, one being that I added chopped cabbage as a top layer (had some leftover in the fridge) and instead of the dressing, I added a generous dollop of hummus on top and mixed it in. I work between 60 and 72 hours every week, this is the exact kind of lunch that I need. Thank you so much for yet another wonderful post and recipe!

Koko @ Koko Likes February 19, 2012

This looks AMAZING!! So inventive, I love this

Alexandria Lewis February 19, 2012

This was great Angie :-) now that I am 90 minutes from Whole Foods it is good to recreate their nourishing salads.

Kim February 19, 2012

I love the look of this recipe. So colorful, can’t wait to try it!

Chelsea February 20, 2012

Yum! I just finished making this (with a few tweaks due to what I had and didn’t have on hand), and had to tell my hubby to make me stop eating it! Now there’s a bowl of deliciousness in my fridge for easy lunches this week…thanks!

Carolyn @ HealthKitten.com February 20, 2012

For the dressing, how much of a difference will it make if I just use orange juice (instead of the orange/apple mix) for the dressing?

Making this tonight!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 20, 2012

im sure it would be fine…just taste test it as you add the seasonings!

Stephanie February 20, 2012

Delicous! I served it over a bed of spinach to add some leafy greens… it was wonderful. Love the “oil-free” dressing, so nice & light.

I always look forward to making your recipes – thanks Angela!

Ann February 21, 2012

I remember when you bought this salad….I’m glad you re-created it! It’s lovely and looks delicious!

Kelly J. R. February 21, 2012

Did you use fresh edamame? We only have frozen available here and I’m wondering if thawed frozen edamame would work or would I have to somehow cook it first?

Ellen February 22, 2012

Kelly – I made this an used frozen edamame. Just cook it first. It stays well in the fridge.

Angela@veggievinyasa February 21, 2012

This looks perfect for next week’s plane ride to Mexico. I’ll just have to find a TSA approved container for the dressing. Yum!

katie tear February 22, 2012

calories?

Ellen February 22, 2012

I love this recipe! I get so sick of salad for lunch in the winter and this was perrrrfect. Plus it’s more filling. I made the fixings on Sunday night (sans the dressing b/c I was lazy and went with a bottled soy ginger dressing). In the morning I layer the veggies on the bottom with a little dressing, add the wheatberries and quinoa, and then toss on some edamame. It’s great because I don’t have to pack the dressing seperately! Thanks so much for sharing!

Suey February 24, 2012

Thanks for this delightful recipe! I made this last night. I posted up my cooking results on my blog =)

Laura February 29, 2012

Just saw that TheKitchn just posted this. Congrats!

Jennifer February 29, 2012

Thanks so much for this, Angela! I’ve made this for two weeks in a row now (and eating it for lunch), and I feel like it’s positively changed my weeks! Not only is it delicious, but it’s beautiful and brightens up my afternoons. :) I can’t tell you how many coworkers have walked by and said, “Look at that salad!” Thanks again. :)

Fran March 1, 2012

There is a Jewish holiday coming up soon where people exchange gifts of food. I want to make this salad to give out this year. Most people give out cakes and cookies, but when I give real food, people are so appreciative!

I would like to prepare the salad in advance. How late in the stage of preparation can the dressing be added? If I did it the night before and kept the salad containers in the fridge, would that be okay, or would it get soggy?

Thanks!

Ramona March 5, 2012

Thanks for the recipe! It is light, crisp and tangy. I love it. :)

michelle March 19, 2012

Delicious! I’ve made it three times in the past month. I’m sharing my version of the recipe with a link back to yours. Thank you for posting!!!

YaYa24 March 20, 2012

So, do when do you dress this salad? When you make it, or when you eat it?

Melody March 24, 2012

Would it taste alright if I made this without the edamame? I’d love to make this for my friend and I but unfortunately she’s allergic to soy. Thank you! xx

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 25, 2012

I would try subbing chickpeas :)

Page 3 of 4«1234»