Endurance Crackers

IMG 7234   Endurance Crackers

Remember the chia seed crackers that we ate at Chocolatree Café just before hiking up 0.6 miles of rocky mountainside?

Here they are in all their glory.

IMG 21331   Endurance Crackers

We kicked some major mountain booty that day and I’d like to think the chia seed crackers had something to do with it. After all, the Aztecs and Mayans used chia seeds (known as a “running food”) for hundreds of years to fuel their long journeys!

As soon as I got home, I knew I had to bust out a version of these in my own kitchen. I was “running” on 3 hours of sleep thanks to a 4am wake-up call and the chocolate I was inhaling wasn’t making me feel any better. The chia crackers came to my rescue!

IMG 7224   Endurance Crackers

Endurance Crackers

These Endurance Crackers are extremely light and crispy while providing long-lasting energy. They are also vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, nut-free, sugar-free, and oil-free to boot! Feel free to change up the seasonings and spices as you wish. Nutritional info follows.

Print this recipe

Inspired by Chocolatree Café.

Yield: 22 large crackers

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup chia seeds*
  • 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1/2 cup pepita seeds (or pumpkin seeds)
  • 1/2 cup sesame seeds
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 large garlic clove, finely grated
  • 1 tsp grated sweet onion
  • 1/4 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
  • Herbamare & kelp granules, to taste (optional)

1. Preheat the oven to 325F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.

2. In a large bowl, mix the seeds together. In a small bowl, mix the water, grated garlic, and grated onion. Whisk well. Pour the water mixture onto the seeds and stir until thick and combined. Season with salt, and optional Herbamare and Kelp granules, to taste. Add spices or fresh herbs if you wish.

3. Spread the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet with the back of a spoon until it’s less than 1/4 inch thick. Not to worry if a couple parts become too thin, you can just patch them up.

4. Bake at 325F for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, slice into crackers, carefully flip onto other side with a spatula. Bake for another 30 minutes, watching closely after about 25 minutes. The bottoms will be lightly golden in colour. Allow to cool completely on the pan. Store in a container or plastic baggy.

Note: See the bottom of this post for where you can purchase chia seeds.

Nutritional Info: (per cracker, makes 22 large crackers): 77 kcals, 6 grams fat, 4 grams carbs, 0 grams sugar, 3 grams fibre, 3 gram protein.

The nutritional stats are impressive, eh?

IMG 7206   Endurance Crackers

As I reached for my garlic powder, I thought why not use fresh garlic instead? My mom recently shared a trick with me for mincing garlic: just use a fine grater instead of chopping it. I used my Microplane and it was the perfect consistency for these crackers. Just be careful you don’t saw off the end of your nail like I almost did.

IMG 7191   Endurance Crackers

10 seconds flat for fresh garlic!

IMG 7194   Endurance Crackers

I also used the same method with the sweet onion.

After grating, I whisked the garlic and onion in a glass with the water (note: I ended up using a full cup of water instead of the 1/2 cup shown here).

IMG 7195   Endurance Crackers

Pour the water mixture into the seed mixture and stir well. It will be thick and gel-like in consistency.

IMG 7196   Endurance Crackers

Now season as you wish.

I used a mixture of Herbamare, kelp granules, and kosher salt for maximum flavour, but you can really play around with the seasonings any way you like! Add some spices too if you wish. Taste and adjust if necessary.

IMG 7204   Endurance Crackers

This picture hates me, clearly.

IMG 7207   Endurance Crackers

Spread onto your baking sheet lined with parchment (or a non-stick mat, but you will have to bake them a bit longer). You want to spread the mixture as thin as possible.

IMG 7200   Endurance Crackers

After baking for 30 minutes at 325F, remove from the oven and slice crackers with a pizza slicer.

IMG 7209   Endurance Crackers

I did a large diamond shape. You can do any size and shape you want, depending on how much ninja power you are looking for!

IMG 7212   Endurance Crackers

With a spatula, carefully flip the crackers and bake for another 30 minutes until toasty and golden on the bottom. Mmm.

IMG 7225   Endurance Crackers

My new favourite cracker, easily.

Not only are they vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, soy-free, nut-free, and sugar free, but they can be made raw if you dehydrate them.

IMG 7226   Endurance Crackers

After cooling, they are crispy, chewy, and basically mind blowing ninja fuel perfect for dipping into hummus. Eric said they taste better than the ones at Chocolatree, but he may be biased. I couldn’t get over how light and crispy they are!

IMG 7218   Endurance Crackers

The question is: Whose butt do you want to kick this week?

Your boss, tough assignment, killer workout, or midterm exam?

Go make a list of things to butt kick.

Eat these crackers.

Kick some butt, ninja style.

IMG 7232   Endurance Crackers

It’s like bird food, but waaaaay better.

Do you ever see a tired bird?

I rest my case.

~~

Many of you ask where you can buy chia seeds. If you are looking for an online retailer in the US, try www.chiaseedsdirect.com. I’ve found both of these businesses to have very competitive prices. You can also purchase chia seeds from bulk food stores like Bulk Barn here in Canada or in natural food stores! Update: More readers also told me Costco sells them (in the supplement section) and even Winners and Homesense! Who knew?

Greta August 14, 2012

Hi Angela
Love these although I find them finicky when trying to make larger batches.
Wondering why you didn’t include hemp or flax seeds?
Is the temp too high for hemp? Couldn’t it be lowered a tad?
And is it true whole flax seeds are indigestible?
Thx
Greta

erin September 16, 2012

(it’s true, whole flax seeds have a nearly indigestible hull on them, which is why grinding them in your coffee grinder before using is the best thing.)

Cynthia August 24, 2012

They are awesome!!

Sarah August 27, 2012

Wow! These just came out of the oven and they are AMAZING! So easy and delicious! I added rosemary and thyme and dipped a couple in some garlic hummus. New favorite snack for sure!!

amy September 3, 2012

hello! i made these last week and my husband and i loved them!!! so delicious. i was wondering if you have experimented with freezing them? there were none left to freeze but i would like to make more ahead of time!
thank you!
amy

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 3, 2012

Yes they do freeze well :)

amy September 3, 2012

awesome thank you! do you need to toast them or do you just let them thaw and eat them once thawed? (i found these were awesome to take to work in my lunch!)

Katherine September 6, 2012

These are in the oven right now. I added a 1/4 cup poppy seeds because the more the merrier right? I also upped the onion and garlic. Even the kids love these. I swear, I’m changing my carnivorous ways because of you Angela. I’m slowly evolving into a vegan :)

Mimi September 10, 2012

I followed the recipe to a tee and everything was going great until I realised they stuck to the parchement paper after 30 minutes, and it was not an easy task to remove it. About 1/3 of the seeds were left on the paper (and some of stuck to the crackers). Any idea how I can avoid this next time? I realise from your pics that mine were spread out thinner than yours, so perhaps 30 minutes was too long. Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 10, 2012

Ah sorry that happened to you, what a pain! Yes my guess is that they were spread too thin. Try them a bit thicker next time..I havent had that problem before. Goodluck!

Holly September 16, 2012

These are great, Angela! Thanks so much for the lovely recipe! I omitted the fresh garlic and onion, herbamere and kelp granules. I didn’t have pumpkin seeds so I used hemp seeds. I added 1/4 cup nutritional yeast, 1/2 tsp garlic and herb dip mix, 3/4 tsp cumin seeds, 3/4 tsp chili powder, and some dehydrated onion salt. I can’t wait to dip them in hummus and pack them in my lunches each day!

erin September 16, 2012

holy moly. i’d pinned these a month or so ago, meaning to make them that weekend. life happened, and i only now got to them. they’re in the oven for their second round right now (and i just broke them in pieces. totally missed your brilliant idea of cutting with a pizza cutter, so mine are ugly) but i sneaked a taste and they’re amazing!! i seasoned with garlic and cajun seasoning, plus a touch of italian seasoning. also added about a tablespoon of nutritional yeast. LOVE them and one batch was definitely not enough. will have to make more soon!

Jane October 8, 2012

made those today and they turned out to be delicious ! i wish they contained less fat ..i can eat it in really small amounts otherwise i get a little bit sick .. but they are really good (again, in small amounts for me) :)

Mary November 5, 2012

I’ve made three batches of this cracker since I came across the recipe a few weeks ago … They’re wonderful! Wondering if anyone has tried a sweet version? Maybe replacing a portion of the water with honey or maple syrup, and adding some dark cocoa and/or cocoa nibs?

Maria Dupell November 26, 2012

I just made these….Needed to (add) use 1/4 c hemp to make the 1/2c of sesame seeds. I needed to bake them an additional 20 min to crisp-up. I would ensure next time that the “dough” is super flattened prior to baking. These came out deliciously great-no trouble at all to make. Just curious as to what your other top 2 for 2012 recipes are if this is in the top 3? Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 27, 2012

Good question, I will have to think about that! perhaps a year end review?

Mallory January 4, 2013

Thanks for the recipe, Angela. I really enjoyed those endurance crackers! Looking forward to what you come up with in 2013.

Vegan Radhika Sarohia January 4, 2013

I didn’t even know raw vegan cracker recipes existed before this post (I am totally uninformed when it comes to the whole raw business in general)
And I’ve been meaning to get on board with the whole chia seed movement but I haven’t bought any yet or tried to cook with them [I did finally buy beets and turnips for the first time recently and they are so awesome for vegan novice chef like me haha]
Anyway these cracker look spectacular!!!!!!!
I’ll try making them soon. They’re even low-carb so I won’t have to pull all my usual wacked-out flour substitutions and stuff woot woot

Leeanne January 7, 2013

If I wanted to dehydrate them instead, do you have any idea how long at what temp? Thanks!

Melissa January 16, 2013

Nooooooooooooooooo .
I left them in too long, despite your warning, and burnt them.

They were super easy, so I will try again. Thank you.

Doug January 20, 2013

Angela,

I wrote last year about using a dehydrator for making endurance crackers, and I still find that it works well. I have basically settled on “sweet” recipes (using raisins, agave syrup, etc). or “salty” recipes (using a bit of soy sauce). The garlic and onion recipes were appreciated by me and no one else in the family, and the lingering onion odors in the house when drying were not popular either.

I’ve noticed, frustratingly, that chia seeds have increased about 50% in price in the past year due to their wider use in the food industry.

One question I have is whether the crackers can be made with milled chia seeds – done by putting them into a coffee grinder and processing them about 10-15 seconds. Apparently, some of the food companies that are now utilizing chia have found that the absorption of the Omega 3 fatty acids and presumably other components is considerably increased with milled chia rather than whole chia. Unlike milled flax seeds, milled chia is relatively heat stable and not prone to going rancid. I haven’t yet made a milled chia batch and was wondering if you had tried it?

Maria January 25, 2013

These. Are. AMAZING. Wow easily the best crackers I’ve ever eaten in my life! I just seasoned them with about 1/2 tsp of coarse sea salt and they are perfect! My only regret is not having doubled the recipe because they aren’ gonna last!

Emmy Hebert January 26, 2013

Hey Angela, how do you freeze your endurance crackers? In a ziplock baggie?

Jackie February 8, 2013

Thanks for the recipe. I made these yesterday and was so proud of myself. They are delicious!!!!. I have so many allergies, so it’s hard to find something healthy, low carb, and something I can eat. Thanks a ton!!

Bethany February 11, 2013

These are amazing!!!! How do u store them so they stay crispy?

Rachael February 17, 2013

These are delicious! Light and savory and so nutritious. I didn’t even have kelp or herbamare but just used sea salt for seasoning and they came out great. Thanks so much. A good pick-me-up for a very dull and snowy February. Take care.

Lindy February 19, 2013

I make these every week to take to work for lunches! They go great with my kale salads. I’ve even gotten a couple of co-workers hooked! Sometimes I add a bit of cayenne pepper to these, just “amp up” the flavor even more without adding too much heat! Delicious! These are the best cracker I’ve ever eaten!!

Robin March 9, 2013

Delicious. So versatile and great for friends on different diets. 2nd batch I added grated fresh ginger and tamari for 1/4 of the water. 3rd batch added cinnamon, shredded coconut and maple syrup for 1/4 of the water.

Vanessa March 10, 2013

Made these this evening and have to say I am impressed! I completely spaced at the grocery and forgot the sesame seeds so I substituted that half cup with equal parts pumpkin and sunflower seeds. No problems with the final product! Obviously the taste is affected but you still get a crispy cracker.
Thank you!

Lynda March 15, 2013

Easy to make, crunchy, healthy, and taste REALLY good! Thank you!

suzy March 16, 2013

i just made this… turned out great and tastes even better. i put chill flakes through it and some mixed herbs. silly me i used foil, had to spend time after peeling it all off the crackers :/

Kaitlin March 16, 2013

I had a brainwave! Instead of just using water, I blended about three cups of fresh spinich and kale I had lying around with about a cup of water. Deelish, and perfect for st pattys

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 17, 2013

Awesome!!!

Raechel April 15, 2013

Holy crackers, I am in LOVE with these! They are tasty, filling, energizing, and they are so much more fun to eat than just grabbing handfuls of seeds out of a bag. I substituted the Herbamare for an individual packet of Green Superfoods ($1.40 @ Whole Foods) and added some Mrs. Dash seasoning. It worked out great! Thank you so much for the recipe!

Summer` May 17, 2013

I made these last night, and when I first put the water in I was scared the chia seeds weren’t going to soak it all up and that there was too much water. Oh me of little faith. By the time I scoured the comments section to see if anyone else had that problem, they’d sucked it all right up. I don’t feel like I spread these quite thin enough, thus I had to bake them 40 minutes today and they’re still a bit too chewy today. In the future, I’ll definitely make them thinner. Love the super easy SUPER healthy recipe! Thanks so much for sharing! Finding savory snacks can sometimes be a bit more difficult than sweet, so I love this! Also good for getting us off our tortilla chip addiction.

Born lippy May 25, 2013

These are fantastic! Instead of putting garlic I added an organic herb salt and a good splash of soy sauce. Really tasty and moorish. I am from the land of plenty (New Zealand) and have found these products easy to source. Thank you so much

Cheri May 27, 2013

I made these yesterday. WOW are they ever good! Very easy to make and so filling. Thanks for sharing.

Chloé June 6, 2013

I made these today – they were delicious… But they were very brittle!
I don’t know why, may you help me..
I used flax seeds instead of chia seeds, do you think this can be the reason?
Or did I put too much water? Or my oven was too hot? Or I baked them too long?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 6, 2013

Hey there, yes they are supposed to be a bit brittle :) As long as the recipe is followed, that’s how they should turn out (unless of course overbaked) maybe try baking for less time next time – oven temps can vary a lot!

Chloé June 6, 2013

Oh thanks for your reply!
I think you are right I probably overbaked them. Next time I will reduce the time!
Thank you and your website is awesome :)

Penny June 12, 2013

Oh em gee! These are so good! And I love how nutritious they are! My boyfriend likes them too, so they are becoming a staple in our house! Unfortunately, my toddler spit his out, but we’ll keep working on him!
I used two garlic cloves in place of the onion, since I didn’t have it on hand, and just 1/4 tsp Herbamare to season. I love the idea of adding kale to the water, so I will be trying that next time. I thought that I was spreading them thin enough (my baking sheet was full), but they took so long to crisp up that I lost track of time. They were worth it, though!

Penny June 13, 2013

Unfortunately, not a fan of the kale! I only used 3 leaves, but I had major sticking problems when I tried to flip them over at 30 min (probably should have waited longer) and the taste of the kale really muted the garlic taste that we enjoyed so much with the first batch. I will be sticking with the kale in smoothies and salads from now on.
I’m also going to start making just a half batch at a time, or using two cookie sheets. I still couldn’t get them thin enough on one cookie sheet.

Lara June 14, 2013

I’ve been meaning to try these for ages, and now that I finally did, I really understand what all the hype is about – YUM! Love them so much :) I’ve stored mine in a tupperware: How long do they keep? I’ve also popped a couple in a ziploc in the freezer to take with me on a travel later on. Does the texture stay ok? And, a reader request: I have read suggestions for sweet versions above, and I would really like to see a sweet version at some point on your blog!

Chanel Johnson June 19, 2013

Just pulled these out of the oven and wow do these have a lot of flavor. I omitted the kelp and herbamare but added a litte nutritional yeast. These are delish and I can’t wait to take them on a hike. My buddies will be shocked to learn these are homemade. One word to the wise, when she calls for parchment paper don’t think you can use aluminum foil. It will get you where you need to go but it’ll make you work for it haha

Jillian August 14, 2013

I also found the Chocolatree in Sedona. I talked with the owner and she said they use DULCE. I haven’t tried your recipe with dulce yet. I wanted to THANK YOU for this recipe. My husband and I make it regularly and it is truly a tasty treat.

Good health and good fortune to you!
Jillian

erin August 16, 2013

Just made these! Overall they are delish! I am defiantly going to make these again :)))

Rachel August 19, 2013

I made these today. They were delicious, but I just wanted to mention that you should NOT USE WAX PAPER. It stuck to the crackers like crazy! Trying to peel it off, I lost a lot of the seeds that refused to “unstick” from the paper.

Lynn September 8, 2013

Thank you so much for this amazing recipe! I’ve been on a very restricted diet to heal my gut issues and I’m not allowed to eat any grains. I was starting to get very bored and frustrated with my diet until I found these. I used black sesame seeds and they look and taste gorgeous.

Brenda September 10, 2013

Hi,
I made these crackers and they are awesome. I’ve been sharing your recipe with everyone and I did take a few liberties with adding some things.
My big question is: how can I make them so they aren’t so crumbly and hold their shape for longer. I’m baking at an elevation of 5500 ft so that’s a little different. I know it would take away from the purity of the recipe, but is there a stabilizer of some sort we could add?
Thanks so much for this awesome recipe!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 11, 2013

Hey Brenda, Hmm I’m not sure. Did you let them col completely on the pan before slicing? I haven’t had any issues with crumbling so I’m really not sure what’s going on.

Brenda September 11, 2013

HI Angela,
according to the directions we are to cut the crackers after the first round of baking, flip them over and then bake again. Has there been a change in the baking directions that I missed?
the other thing is that I may be pressing them too thin. Next time I will try to make them just a little thicker.
Brenda