Endurance Crackers

IMG 7234   Endurance Crackers

Remember the chia seed crackers that we ate at Chocolatree Café just before hiking up 0.6 miles of rocky mountainside?

Here they are in all their glory.

IMG 21331   Endurance Crackers

We kicked some major mountain booty that day and I’d like to think the chia seed crackers had something to do with it. After all, the Aztecs and Mayans used chia seeds (known as a “running food”) for hundreds of years to fuel their long journeys!

As soon as I got home, I knew I had to bust out a version of these in my own kitchen. I was “running” on 3 hours of sleep thanks to a 4am wake-up call and the chocolate I was inhaling wasn’t making me feel any better. The chia crackers came to my rescue!

IMG 7224   Endurance Crackers

Endurance Crackers

These Endurance Crackers are extremely light and crispy while providing long-lasting energy. They are also vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, nut-free, sugar-free, and oil-free to boot! Feel free to change up the seasonings and spices as you wish. Nutritional info follows.

Print this recipe

Inspired by Chocolatree Café.

Yield: 22 large crackers

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup chia seeds*
  • 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1/2 cup pepita seeds (or pumpkin seeds)
  • 1/2 cup sesame seeds
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 large garlic clove, finely grated
  • 1 tsp grated sweet onion
  • 1/4 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
  • Herbamare & kelp granules, to taste (optional)

1. Preheat the oven to 325F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.

2. In a large bowl, mix the seeds together. In a small bowl, mix the water, grated garlic, and grated onion. Whisk well. Pour the water mixture onto the seeds and stir until thick and combined. Season with salt, and optional Herbamare and Kelp granules, to taste. Add spices or fresh herbs if you wish.

3. Spread the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet with the back of a spoon until it’s less than 1/4 inch thick. Not to worry if a couple parts become too thin, you can just patch them up.

4. Bake at 325F for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, slice into crackers, carefully flip onto other side with a spatula. Bake for another 30 minutes, watching closely after about 25 minutes. The bottoms will be lightly golden in colour. Allow to cool completely on the pan. Store in a container or plastic baggy.

Note: See the bottom of this post for where you can purchase chia seeds.

Nutritional Info: (per cracker, makes 22 large crackers): 77 kcals, 6 grams fat, 4 grams carbs, 0 grams sugar, 3 grams fibre, 3 gram protein.

The nutritional stats are impressive, eh?

IMG 7206   Endurance Crackers

As I reached for my garlic powder, I thought why not use fresh garlic instead? My mom recently shared a trick with me for mincing garlic: just use a fine grater instead of chopping it. I used my Microplane and it was the perfect consistency for these crackers. Just be careful you don’t saw off the end of your nail like I almost did.

IMG 7191   Endurance Crackers

10 seconds flat for fresh garlic!

IMG 7194   Endurance Crackers

I also used the same method with the sweet onion.

After grating, I whisked the garlic and onion in a glass with the water (note: I ended up using a full cup of water instead of the 1/2 cup shown here).

IMG 7195   Endurance Crackers

Pour the water mixture into the seed mixture and stir well. It will be thick and gel-like in consistency.

IMG 7196   Endurance Crackers

Now season as you wish.

I used a mixture of Herbamare, kelp granules, and kosher salt for maximum flavour, but you can really play around with the seasonings any way you like! Add some spices too if you wish. Taste and adjust if necessary.

IMG 7204   Endurance Crackers

This picture hates me, clearly.

IMG 7207   Endurance Crackers

Spread onto your baking sheet lined with parchment (or a non-stick mat, but you will have to bake them a bit longer). You want to spread the mixture as thin as possible.

IMG 7200   Endurance Crackers

After baking for 30 minutes at 325F, remove from the oven and slice crackers with a pizza slicer.

IMG 7209   Endurance Crackers

I did a large diamond shape. You can do any size and shape you want, depending on how much ninja power you are looking for!

IMG 7212   Endurance Crackers

With a spatula, carefully flip the crackers and bake for another 30 minutes until toasty and golden on the bottom. Mmm.

IMG 7225   Endurance Crackers

My new favourite cracker, easily.

Not only are they vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, soy-free, nut-free, and sugar free, but they can be made raw if you dehydrate them.

IMG 7226   Endurance Crackers

After cooling, they are crispy, chewy, and basically mind blowing ninja fuel perfect for dipping into hummus. Eric said they taste better than the ones at Chocolatree, but he may be biased. I couldn’t get over how light and crispy they are!

IMG 7218   Endurance Crackers

The question is: Whose butt do you want to kick this week?

Your boss, tough assignment, killer workout, or midterm exam?

Go make a list of things to butt kick.

Eat these crackers.

Kick some butt, ninja style.

IMG 7232   Endurance Crackers

It’s like bird food, but waaaaay better.

Do you ever see a tired bird?

I rest my case.

~~

Many of you ask where you can buy chia seeds. If you are looking for an online retailer in the US, try www.chiaseedsdirect.com. I’ve found both of these businesses to have very competitive prices. You can also purchase chia seeds from bulk food stores like Bulk Barn here in Canada or in natural food stores! Update: More readers also told me Costco sells them (in the supplement section) and even Winners and Homesense! Who knew?

Maricar February 5, 2012

I will definitely try this! Thanks for the recipe! What else would anyone recommend in place of the sesame seeds? Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 6, 2012

hemp seed? flax?

Maricar February 6, 2012

cool! yeah! I’ll try hemp :)) Thanks, Angela!

Jessica February 6, 2012

Yum! I just made these last night to bring to work with me this week. I just dug into them with your homemade hummus for a snack at work and wow! Love these crackers! I made them so they are nice and crunchy. Thanks for a great recipe.

jess February 6, 2012

These are delicious! Making a second batch now because I know they are going to go fast! Thinking next time I’d like to try putting a little bit of nooch in the mix. Maybe it’d give it a hint of cheesy taste. I’ll let you know how it comes out.
By the way I doubled the recipe and used 1/2 cup sesame seeds and 1/2 cup flax because I ran low on the sesame and it came out great.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 7, 2012

Thats great Jess! Let me know how the nooch is

Kate Sins February 7, 2012

I have these in the oven right now! I can’t eat garlic or onion so just salt and pepper as seasoning. I may have sneaked a little nibble when I turned them over… It’s taking all my resolve not to pull them out and eat the lot now! Divine. If these are good I’m going to experiment with LSA. I have tonnes of it in my pantry….

Andrea February 7, 2012

I’m not sure if it’s been mentioned before, but if anyone is looking for an online bulk foods store (in the U.S.), this place has EVERYTHING! http://www.nuts.com

Megan February 8, 2012

Sweet! I can’t wait to make these.

Vicki Thomas February 8, 2012

I made two batches the other day – one as the recipe details and the second I added a tablespoon of cocoa powder, some unsweetened shredded coconut, and a some instant coffee. Both turned out very good. My only question is that a couple days later they are not as crisp – I have them packaged in ziploc bags. To help them stay crisp, I’ve put them in the freezer – they’re just a bit “bendy” right now. Any suggestions? Maybe I didn’t let them cool long enough – they felt cool when I packaged them. Thanks for the great recipe. Good-bye rice cakes – hello endurance crackers!
cheers,
vicki

MaryD February 10, 2012

These were great Angela! I made a few changes like replacing half of the sesame seeds with flax seeds and some of the water with apple cider vinegar so I could avoid adding salt. I will be making these all the time! Thanks for always posting such great vegan recipes :-)

Ilana February 17, 2012

What’s the consistency like on these? Do they hold up? I’ve been playing around with chia/seed/nut cracker recipes and they always crumble but I think I’m almost there…. gah! these look delish tho

jude February 20, 2012

I am finding these a little addictive. Since I use hummus as a topping to up my veggie intake, I am eating them mostly with avocado mashed with ev olive oil. Yum!

Thank you for another amazing recipe–can’t wait for the cookbook. :)

Beth @Sailing Foodie February 24, 2012

Just made these for the first time! They came out fantastic! I am shocked at how easy and tasty these little powerhouses are! Thanks for sharing.

jude February 28, 2012

I make these every week now.

Meg February 29, 2012

Could I substitute the sesame seeds with tahini?

Natalie March 14, 2012

I stumbled across your blog, and WOW, these crackers look AMAZING!!! I’ve got some chia seeds that need a-usin’ so I’m definitely going to try this out. Fantastic! All of your other recipes look great too. Cheers!

Megan March 15, 2012

So I was super excited to see these when you first posted, and was waiting for chia seeds I’d ordered online (later found with vitamins at my local Walgreens!) – and once i got to make a batch they came out so great and my whole family loves them. That means my vegan scoffing husband and two year old daughter. They pass the test of good, not just healthy good. Thank you.

For our current family trip to Disney, I brought a batch of your original recipe and a batch with cinnamon (1t), cocoa powder (1T), dash of nutmeg, and 1/4 cup of maple syrup replacing that amount of the water. They are SO good. I was really happy we had healthy, homemade snacks in the park.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 16, 2012

So glad to hear that Megan! I made a sweet version similar to that and loved it. I can’t wait to play around with it more.

Tanvi March 20, 2012

I substituted chia seeds with basil seeds when I made these. I can’t find chia anywhere in India =( But basil seeds seem to have pretty much the same properties and they even look similar, though i can’t seem find nutritional stats anywhere! These turned out to be fabulous =D though mine looked a bit ‘shape-ly challenged’ because i couldn’t cut them properly.

gfpv March 27, 2012

This recipe is awesome. I was skeptical of whether they’d hold.
I made them and they are too perfect. Thank you so much!!!!

Fiona March 28, 2012

I just want to warn people NOT to make these without chia seeds!! The bulk bin at Whole Foods was out of chia seeds so I tried subbing flax seeds and it does not work. The chia seeds are necessary to absorb the water and create a cracker. Mine came out like crumbs. I have made these before with chia seeds and they were awesome!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 28, 2012

that is so good to know, thank you. And Im so sorry that the flax didnt work out for you!

Doug March 30, 2012

Terrific recipe. I tried them as you suggested, though I used a dehydrator rather than an oven. Mine has 9 shelves, so I can make a fair amount at a time. Given how good they are, there’s no problem in having them go stale. I think the lower temperatures of the dehydrator (about 125 degrees) are likely a bit closer to their raw state.

Since the recipe is basically dehydrating all the liquid, I measure the dry ingredients and then keep adding a sufficient amount of warm water to make the chia seeds into a slurry that holds everything together. My dehydrator has parchment sheets that hold the wet mixture initially. After about 2 hours, I take them out, and turn them over onto mesh screens for more thorough drying. I used to leave the cracker sheets in one piece, but the resulting pieces after drying were jagged fragments. If you want the final crackers to be squares, it helps to cut them up when they’re still slightly soft (about another hour into the drying process after flipping them over). It sounds labor intensive, but it only takes a minute or two.

I’ve also experimented with a few recipe variations:

1. The original recipe above, if you like garlic and onions. I do, but the rest of my family finds it a bit strong.

1. Original recipe, minus the garlic and onions, and substitute soy sauce for part of the liquid. Handy if you like salty items.

3. Original recipe, minus the garlic and onions, along with a cup or two of chopped raisins (put through a food processor). This has been a favorite with everyone whose tried them.

If anyone has a recipe variation, I’d be glad to hear them.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 1, 2012

Wow thank you for all the wonderful info!! So great to know. I will have to dig out my dehydrator and try them this way :)

Elena @MTJW April 16, 2012

Great recipe! These are so tasty – they have a hearty nutty taste – that everyone loves them. They’re a huge hit as an appetizer at dinner parties, especially when you can say you made them yourself! I put a spin on them and added craisins.

Nicole April 18, 2012

Mmmm-those look like they’d go great with my zucchini hummus that I made for the first time yesterday (chick peas and I don’t get along!).

Kate April 18, 2012

Love these crackers! They taste amazing and are so good for you. Even my daughter who picks the nuts out of cookies liked them! They are easy, super easy and quick to make. I was a little afraid I would break them when I cut and flipped over, but I slipped the parchment off the baking pan, cut and flipped and slipped parchment back on. Easy!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 18, 2012

Thanks Kate! Glad to hear that :)

stef April 18, 2012

I love that you re-posted this recipe. I just made it this past weekend & LOVE them, but in case you were wondering weather or not you can use tin foil instead of parchment paper…you should not, unless maybe you spray some oil on it. I have to make batch #2 with my NEW parchment paper. I’m hoping this time I will actually be able to get crackers & not a mess out of it! Fantastic post! One change I did was putting all of the seeds in a food processor just to shred things down a bit. Love the recipes & I really enjoy how easy it is using your recipage!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 18, 2012

aw, thanks for the tip about the tin foil!

Isabelle April 18, 2012

ohhhh, those look super yummy (and being nut free can end up in the kids lunch box too:)).
Thank you Angela, printing this one :)
isa

Andreina April 26, 2012

Hi Angela, I just made these crackers and they came out pretty yummmy.Thank you for sharing! I used to buy them at the health store but they are sooooo expensive, so Im very happy I don´t have to give them up :) . One question though, If I want to make them with flax seed instead of chia, do you suggest any changes in the proportions? Chia seeds are difficult to find where I live and they are very expensive as well so I though flax seed could be a good replacement but I m not sure about it. Have a great day.

Ange May 6, 2012

I just tried these crackers and LOVE them!! So fulfilling. Thank you!

karla June 1, 2012

Wow!!!! These crackers are by far the best I have had the pleasure to make since I started my gluten-free journey over 5 yrs ago! Thank you SO much for sharing. :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 2, 2012

Im happy to hear that Karla!

Erin June 8, 2012

Thanks for this recipe. Made them and they’re amazing! very popular with my fellow detoxers who are not eating grain for 2 weeks!! Beautiful.

Andrina June 11, 2012

Definitely making those VERY soon.

Barbara June 11, 2012

Do the seeds and nuts have to be raw? I know they have more nutrients but I was wondering if it was such a big difference, I am a working student and it is so expensive to buy them on a budget!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2012

I can’t see why it wouldnt work with toasted nuts Barbara. Let me know if you try it out!

nomnomnom June 11, 2012

Can you make these in a dehydrator?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2012

i can’t see why not!

Erin June 18, 2012

This is my new favourite cracker!

Amelia Killebrew June 26, 2012

My crackers stuck to the waxed paper and when I tried to pull them off (after 30 mins) to flip them, only the top part came off. Did anyone else have this problem; any suggestions?

Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2012

I would suggest using parchment paper. I didnt have any issues with it. Goodluck!

Anne Rizzo June 29, 2012

I am looking forward to making these. Thank you for the recipe. I just wanted to note that in your nutritional info you said that each cracker is 77 kcal. I looked “kcal” up and it says that 1 kcal is worth 1000 calories. I am sure that each cracker is not 7700 calories. Can I assume that this was a typo?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2012

Hey Anne, My understanding is that “kcal” – when in reference to baking – equals 1 calorie. See this post for more discussion: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/531907

Kara Swan July 6, 2012

Just pulled these out of the oven, and they smell great. Can’t wait for my afternoon snack. Will be trying a couple before my next workout ;)

Kara Swan July 16, 2012

I made a batch of these last week, and I’m now a believer. On Saturday I got up and ran two miles and did some weight training, and I had already agreed to go on a hike that afternoon. Half an hour before I was ready to leave I sat at my desk, slightly shaky and dreading what was about to happen. I ate endurance crackers and then I hiked like nobodies business. Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 16, 2012

Wow what an endorsement! ;) Glad you enjoyed them!

Kinsington July 20, 2012

These crackers are amazing! So amazing that the bf barely lets me eat any of them. I turn my back and they are gone every time I make them!

I’ve been playing around with some variations:
Using the original recipe I used some toasted sesame oil in place of some of the water and this batch was a lot less crumbly. Also added nooch which was my favorite!
Dried cranberries, honey and sea salt (minus garlic and onions) was pretty awesome as well. Love the sweet and savory.

One thing I’ve learned is to get a thin spread. When I leave them too thick they don’t cook through and can get soggy.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 22, 2012

Love your tips and modifications!

Alisha July 29, 2012

Brilliant. Seriously brilliant. I whipped some up using hemp hearts, sunflower seeds, chia, millet and cranberries (next time I’ll add flax too!) and I used a tbsp of honey, chili powder, sea salt and white pepper. They’re freaking amazing! <3

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 29, 2012

Hey Alisha, Im so happy you enjoyed them! Thanks for letting me know. Great subs :)

Fiona August 5, 2012

I am making these crackers in the dehydrator at 95 degrees as we speak – do you happen to know how long they would take in a dehydrator Angela, or anyone? I’m very sorry if someone already addressed this in the comments and I didn’t see it.

Page 4 of 6« First...«23456»