True Food Kitchen

On Tuesday, we had the pleasure of lunching at True Food Kitchen at the Biltmore Fashion Park in Phoenix. Many of you recommended it on the blog and on my Facebook page (thank you!), so we figured it was a safe bet. I later found out that the famous Dr. Andrew Weil (along with restaurateur Sam Fox) opened this first location of several, in 2008. The entire menu is based around Dr. Weil’s Anti-Inflammatory Diet and food pyramid with an emphasis on local and organic food whenever possible.

IMG 1807 thumb   True Food Kitchen

The weather was gorgeous and sunny, so we opted to sit out on the large patio. A quick peek inside the restaurant revealed a huge interior absolutely packed at 1:30pm on a Tuesday. That’s always a good sign!

IMG 1764 2 thumb   True Food Kitchen IMG 1784 thumb   True Food Kitchen

We soon deemed the weather beer worthy.

IMG 1776 thumb   True Food Kitchen

I tried the organic Eel River Acai Berry Wheat Ale. Loved it. Light and fruity, but not overly so.

IMG 1773 thumb   True Food Kitchen

For an appetizer, my mom and I shared the Shiitake and Tofu Lettuce Cups with Ginger, Cashew, and Garlic.

IMG 1792 thumb   True Food Kitchen

The lettuce cups are filled primarily with cashews, teeny-tiny bits of tofu, and shredded carrot all coated in a lovely Teriyaki-like glaze. Very fun to roll up and make a huge mess!

IMG 1793 thumb   True Food Kitchen

For my main, I ordered the Teriyaki Brown Rice Bowl with Asian vegetables, sesame, and avocado. I also added big chunks of tofu.

IMG 1801 thumb   True Food Kitchen

Oh my gosh was this ever amazing. Easily, one of my favourite meals in a long time. It’s so simple, but not lacking in any way. I also loved the huge sliced avocado half on top. Not one single piece of rice was left behind.

Eric and John ordered the Turkey Burger with provolone, lettuce, tomato, avocado, mayo, on a flax seed bun. It came with sweet potato hash and a kale salad.

IMG 1796 thumb   True Food Kitchen

They both gave it two thumbs up!

Mom ordered the Spaghetti Squash Casserole with mozzarella, organic tomato, and zucchini. She also really enjoyed it, but thought the cheese was a bit heavy.

IMG 1797 thumb   True Food Kitchen

For dessert, Eric devoured the warm & pudding-like Flourless Chocolate Cake. No surprise there!

IMG 1802 thumb   True Food Kitchen

My mom and I shared the Vegan Apple Crisp with Maple Ice Cream. John also had the apple crisp, but did not share with anyone. ;)

IMG 1804 thumb   True Food Kitchen

Absolute perfection. The crispy, sweet crumble topping was the best part.

IMG 1805 thumb   True Food Kitchen

I washed it down with a big glass of water when I realized that beer probably wasn’t the best idea before hiking a desert mountain!

IMG 1769 thumb   True Food Kitchen

After lunch, Eric and I drove straight to Camelback Mountain to begin the hike of our lives, my dangly earrings and all.

All in all, it was a great experience at True Foods. The service was friendly and attentive, the atmosphere to die for, and the food fresh and satisfying. My only suggestion is that the restaurant adds more vegan options on their menu as there were only 2-3 vegan entrees indicated on their lunch menu.

As for that hike, my glutes and quads might recover some day. Just not today.

Tomorrow = Sedona and the promise of more hiking. Better rest up!

Nadiya @ Milk and Honey January 27, 2012

The lettuce cups look delicious! Great for a portable lunch or a cool appetizer for a party :P

AG (Our Lighter Footsteps) January 27, 2012

Goodness, all I can think of is how can I replicate those lettuce wraps?!?!?!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 27, 2012

I was thinking about that too. I don’t think it would be too hard…lettuce, cashews, teriyaki sauce, fresh ginger/garlic, shredded carrots, mini chopped tofu, onion?

AG (Our Lighter Footsteps) January 27, 2012

I happen to have those ingredients in the fridge right now, I think that I might try it this weekend and let you know how it works out!

Sana January 27, 2012

I would totally wear earrings on a hike ;)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 27, 2012

Acai Beer sounds amazing! Get your antioxidants in with your booze. :)

Have you ever heard of Veev? It’s a vodka-like alcohol made from acai berries. Pretty tasty!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 27, 2012

Hey Laura, I don’t think I have, but that sounds fun :)

Alyssa January 27, 2012

Yum! I would love to see you recreate the lettuce cups…! I bet edamame would be good in those as well…

Laura @ She Eats Well January 27, 2012

That place looks wonderful, especially because it looks sunny too! I kind of love the idea of kale salad and sweet potatoes as a side dish…and also, very jealous of the Maple ice cream that came with that flourless chocolate cake. Mmm.

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh January 27, 2012

That looks like a wonderful restaurant! There’s nothing like when almost everything you get is a score! I’ll take the desserts because well, I’m a girl and we’re kind of entitled like that. :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 27, 2012

The 9 months that I lived in AZ I never went to True Food. Now that I see these pics, WHAT the heck was I thinking??! To be honest, it wasn’t until about a month before I moved away that I realized this gem of a restaurant even existed. I guess I was living under a rock. That or was having desert-brain, i.e. can’t think in the heat :)

The Vegan Apple Crisp with Maple Ice Cream looks to die for; really all of it does!

Amy :) January 27, 2012

Enjoy Sedona! It’s so beautiful! :)

Michelle January 27, 2012

You are going to LOVE Sedona. It is my favorite place on earth! I grew up in a tiny town about fifteen minutes away. I never tired of cresting the hill on my way to Sedona and seeing a breathtaking view of the Red Rocks. Geez, it makes me tear up just thinking about it. I’m gaga for Cathedral Rock. Please do whatever you can to make it to Oak Creek Canyon. If you have time, follow it all the way to Flagstaff. I PROMISE you won’t regret the drive.

Have fun!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 27, 2012

Thanks Michelle! That sounds incredible. We’re def hitting up Cathedral Rock today…can’t wait!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 27, 2012

Ok I just looked up Cathedral rock a bit more and some parts seem really steep. Do you think it’s on par with Camelback or more difficult?

Michelle January 27, 2012

It’s definitely easier than Camelback! I’m sure you’ll be able to do it no problem!

Steph January 27, 2012

Ange they can make lots of modifications for vegans. My mon is vegan and loooves it at True Food! Next time, order farro instead of rice in the teryaki bowl ;). Oh my!! My fav there is the farmers market salad. Yes, agree with ur mon, i was astonished at the cheese that came out on my spaghetti squash casserole. Next time ill order easy cheese…….. Or NO cheese! :D

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 27, 2012

I was wondering about that…so good that they are flexible! Maybe it’s a good thing I didn’t know that at the time or I wouldn’t be able to decide. ;)

Jessica January 27, 2012

So funny… I wrote a post very similar to yours!

Sherlock January 27, 2012

Ah, I was hoping True Foods was going to be more vegan friendly. Well…now I know not to make a trip to the Easty valley just to eat there. Thanks for the post!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 27, 2012

Apparently they can make more vegan modifications (see comment above)

Lana January 27, 2012

Sedona is one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been!
Definitely check out Chocolatree Cafe. The Palatki ruins are very cool, and there is an old mining ghost town called Jerome near by that is the epitome of eclectic.
You’ll fall in love with the red rocks! :-) enjoy!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 27, 2012

Thanks Lana. Have you ever dined at D’lish as well?

Lana January 27, 2012

I unfortunately did not make it there but I’ve heard good things! I’m not sure how long you’ll be there for, but the mountain biking is unreal. It’s a great way to see Sedona. There are tons of trails that range from beginner to expert. It’s a real thrill physically and mentally. I’m much like you with anxiety, and mountain biking demands metal focus and confidence.

Lana January 27, 2012

Well, mental focus, not metal focus. But metal focus sounds pretty badass :-) haha

Monique January 27, 2012

Greetings from a fellow (former) New Brunswicker! This is my first post, as I discovered your wonderful website through the PPK’s top 100 list of 2011 so I would like to say hi and congratulate you on such a great blog! I’ve tried a few of your recipes so far and they are great (my husband insists that I make your chocolate chip cookie dough balls on an industrial scale from now on).

We also hiked in Arizona last year for our honeymoon and it was one of the most memorable experiences of our lives so I am happy to see that you are enjoying yourselves as well. We enver made it to True Foods kitchen so it’s nice to hear your perspective. I am a bit surprised that they have so few vegan options, as Dr Weil sits on the advisory board for the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (who, as you probably know. promote vegan diets). I can sympathise with finding good vegan options whilst travelling or eating out. Finding vegan-friendly places to eat here in meat- and dairy-centric Holland is quite often a struggle.

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 27, 2012

Thanks for your comment Monique! Love meeting fellow NB’ers :) Glad to hear that you enjoyed a great honeymoon here…I bet it was lovely! Nothing like this sunshine.

Jessica January 27, 2012

Except that Dr. Weil is anything but vegan…. he is a big fish eater and he uses a lot oils (another no no by pcrm). Boards aren’t necessarily about having carbon copies on thinking but rather diversity and open thinking.

Emily (Edible Psychology) January 27, 2012

This looks like such a wonderful vacation so far! I must admit, I am quite jealous as I sit in gray, rainy England…but I am really happy you are getting some sunshine. :-) Thanks for sharing it with those of us stuck in wintry locations!

I’m sure you will come up with your own amazing recipe for tofu lettuce wraps once you are back home, but if you need a fix right away, Emily on Daily Garnish has a great recipe that my boyfriend and I love.

~Emily~

Victoria January 27, 2012

So glad you are coming to Sedona. I love it here! Check out Bell Rock or Catheral Rock (start at the Baldwin Trail, off of Verde Valley School Rd). You can actually see my house from this trail! How lucky am I. Food here is ok. Chocolat Tree is the only vegan/raw food place around. However, if you can eat at Elote’s. It is above the King Ranson Hotel and it is amazing!! Have fun and if you need anything call the Sedona Police Department and ask for me! (928-282-3100) Hopefully you won’t be needing to call the Police!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 27, 2012

haha thanks Victoria! Have you heard of D’lsih restaurant?

Victoria January 27, 2012

D’lsih closed several months ago. Now there is a bad pizza place in there spot!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 27, 2012

Wow! I actually just heard about this restaurant via something mentioned in one of my Institute of Integrative Nutrition lectures, and googled the website right away. I can’t believe you got to eat there, that’s amazing!! The food looks so so good. Hope you get a chance to give those legs a stretch! ;)

Alex @ Raw Recovery January 27, 2012

Those desserts look great! Have fun in AZ!

Raven January 27, 2012

Sedona is easily my favorite place in all of Arizona and I was born there and lived there for the first 18 years of my life. You will LOVE IT.

Make sure you get to Sunset Point in time to check out an Arizona Sunset, it’s worth it :-)

Migley bridge is a great view and of course you’ll want to check out Oak Creek Canyon and Slide Rock if it’s open.

I read the other comment about taking the drive all the way up to Flagstaff and I agree it’s a fantastic drive but it’s also a bit harrowing with it being up the side of a mountain in a really high elevation and a lot of switch backs. With your anxiety, I don’t want you being taken off guard, I believe you can do it, but it’s best that you are prepared for it.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 27, 2012

Thanks Raven! I appreciate your help. Is the Sunset Point different from Airport Mesa trail? Eric said he heard that was a great spot to see the sunset.

Michelle January 27, 2012

So true, Raven! I totally didn’t think about that :) Maybe you might just want to go partway up the canyon, Angela?

Lauren (Maillard's MIstress) January 27, 2012

That looks fabulously yummy! I love your sunglasses, too.

Kirsty January 27, 2012

Looks fabulous xx

Rachel B January 27, 2012

Oh man that looks so delicious!! I’m REALLY hoping to get a research internship in Flagstaff, AZ for the summer, and I am a big hiker so reading all your trips is making me VERY excited and really hopeful that I get to go. I have family in Phoenix, so it would be nice to spend more time with them as well. You need to eat some tamale’s while you’re out there and then come up with an incredible recipe for them, they are one of my favorites!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 27, 2012

I hope you get it Rachel! That would be amazing.

Laura January 27, 2012

Loved that place! And their desserts are fantastic way to end the meal!

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed January 27, 2012

It’s gloomy and rainy here in PA. I’m so jealous of your outdoor lunch and a brew in the sun!!!!

Jasper Naomi @ crunchylittlebites January 27, 2012

Did Eric and John share the turkey burger or did they, both, order the turkey burger…it’s be cute if they shared :D

January + Arizona = sunny summer days looks lovely, Angela! enjoy yourself OH S(she)O MUCH(glows – um this last word didn’t really work)! you and your mother are adorable!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 27, 2012

heh no they got their own :)

Britta January 27, 2012

You MUST hike Cathedral Rock. Bear Mountain is also an amazing experience as well as Devil’s Bridge. We also have a hot yoga studio that is fantastic. Enjoy Sedona and check out the breweries and wine rooms while you are here!

Amanda January 27, 2012

Wow, that food looks good! I really need to make lettuce wraps. I’ve never attempted to make them myself for whatever reason. Time to change that!

Also, the vegan apple crisp is calling my name… :)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers January 27, 2012

What a great restaurant! I wish we had one of those around here! The food looks wonderful, and I want to try the spaghetti squash meal your Mom got, just with less cheese!! Have fun, I’m enjoying reading about all the fun your having.

Rhona January 27, 2012

That dessert looks amazing. I cannot wait for the Sadona post. I have always wanted to go there. I will live vicariously through you….for now.

Helene January 27, 2012

You MUST go to the Enchantment Resort for lunch or a drink when you are in Sedona. The view from the restaurant is spectacular.

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes January 27, 2012

looks delicious!! Great pics :)

Christine (The Brighter Side of Life) January 27, 2012

The food looks amazing, especially the lettuce wraps and brown rice bowl with tofu and avocado. Mmmmm…!

I’m more of a wine person than a beer person, but do like a really good, cold beer on a warm sunny day – especially on vacation. Your pics make me want one now! Well, maybe not at 9:45 am. ;-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 27, 2012

I know what you mean, I’m the same way!

Andrea January 27, 2012

That lunch looks so fresh and yummy! So jealous! I know a woman who is obsessed with Sedona. She is a reiki master and met her reiki “master” there and was trained. She also replicated her wedding there… please take tons of pics!! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 27, 2012

hah that’s cool. I’m sure our pics will top 500 today ;)

Beth @ Running on Cloud Nine January 27, 2012

The food looks amazing! We are overdue for a trip to Phoenix to visit relatives, and I am definitely putting this on our list of places to go. I’ve never hiked up to Camelback, but last time we went to Squaw Peak. Love the views!

Colleen January 27, 2012

Hey Ang, I was at a restaurant a while back and they said that the teriaki sauce was not vegetarian/vegan because it is made with chicken broth. do you know if this is true for all teriaki sauces?

Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 27, 2012

Hey Colleen, I’m not sure. I think it’s always best to ask for clarification unless otherwise indicated.

Cait's Plate January 27, 2012

Ooooh that looks like my kinda place! Everything looks so incredibly delicious!

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes January 27, 2012

Wow and wow to all that food. I could eat that turkey burger plate for every meal. You’re going to love Sedona.

LizAshlee January 27, 2012

When you get home, will you please run to the kitchen and make all those delicious foods and then share the recipes?:) They all look so good…JK to the above, make sure to go home and rest, traveling can take it out of ya!

Happy Friday!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 27, 2012

Yes, I def want to make them at home….the best part is they seem quite easy to make!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning January 27, 2012

No wonder it was so highly recommended- all of that food looks amazing! I would have definitely ordered the same dessert that you did. I will lean towards a fruit crisp or cobbler 10 times out of 10 over anything else on a dessert menu- especially if it’s a la mode.
I hope you try to recreate the lettuce cups when you come home and post a recipe… hint, hint. :)

Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf January 27, 2012

Oh man, now I really want to make a vegan apple crisp! And vegan maple ice cream!

Page 1 of 3123»