By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

IMG 1535 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

Toto, we’re not in Ontario anymore.

We’re visiting the Phoenix area with my mom and John this week. It’s our first time in Arizona and we’re pumped to be here!

and a bit scared…

IMG 1526 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising IMG 1528 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

We booked an evening flight, since it was our only option. It’s really strange waiting until almost 5pm to leave the house on the day of a flight! I actually started to go stir crazy waiting to leave.

IMG 1455 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

The flight was only 4.5 hours, but felt incredibly long due to some nasty turbulence. The plane kept dropping and dipping like crazy and I actually started to feel nauseous which never happens to me. At one point, I just closed my eyes, gripped Eric’s arm, and prayed I didn’t lose my dinner. The last 30 minutes ticked by in slow motion.

We arrived around 12:30am…sleepy, dazed, and hungry! Mom brought us some homemade vegan blueberry muffins and walnuts to save the day. I got my appetite back, miraculously.

IMG 1458 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

When we finally got to bed around 2:30am Toronto time I was so tired I couldn’t sleep for the life of me! Does that ever happen to you? If I get too tired, it’s actually harder for me to sleep. I passed the point of no return, so my body did the logical thing and stared at the ceiling for most of the night. Awesome.

A sunny, green breakfast helped with the 4 hour power nap.

IMG 1471 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

I opened the fridge, saw some gorgeous raspberries and dark chocolate almond butter, and knew I had to make a chocolate raspberry Green Monster to save the day.

With fresh raspberries, banana, dark chocolate almond butter, almond milk, ice, and wait for it….Dinosaur kale! Yes, come to me my little kale.

IMG 1472 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

Note: I just found out this dark chocolate almond butter is NOT vegan. I blame the sleep deprivation for that error! For a vegan version, try my homemade Dark Chocolate Almond Butter recipe!

Cover your ears, my mom said, this thing is small but loud!

IMG 1476 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising IMG 1478 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be RisingIMG 1473 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising IMG 1481 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

As I sipped my Green Monster, I could feel my tired, lifeless body revive itself almost instantly as kale pumped through my veins. I swear a GM is worth at least an extra hour of sleep!

IMG 1468 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising IMG 1469 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

I also had a whole wheat blueberry muffin with Earth Balance.

IMG 1482 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

and a herbal tea…because breakfast wouldn’t be the same without a hot drink.

IMG 1483 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

Ok, make that two!

IMG 1489 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

My mom and I had a lovely chat over tea while the boys waited for the rental car.

Later on in the day, Eric and I stopped into Whole Foods to pick up some groceries. I picked up some brussels sprouts, red pepper, spaghetti, kale, blueberries, corn chips, salsa, asparagus, and some nori sheets, kombu and kelp granules that I’ve been looking for forever!

IMG 1490 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

and a fun salad!

IMG 1491 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

Layered up for lunch.

IMG 1498 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising IMG 1499 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

IMG 1501 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

This will be the first thing I make when I’m on Canadian soil, mark my words.

Poured into a bowl.

IMG 1503 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

and topped with orange ginger dressing and hummus. Blew. my. taste. buds. off.

IMG 1508 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

I said I wouldn’t be able to eat the entire thing, but I was wrong.

Plump blueberries for dessert in this fun strainer/bowl duo.

IMG 1509 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

For dinner, we all pitched in and whipped up a yummy spread.

…featuring 15 Minute Creamy Avocado Pasta!

IMG 1540 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be RisingIMG 1539 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be RisingIMG 1541 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

and a tomato-basil salad, sautéed asparagus, and roasted fingerling potatoes.

IMG 1542 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

Oh, it was lovely.

IMG 1545 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

I had seconds of pasta and potatoes! My body just yearns for carbs when I’m tired.

IMG 1548 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

Now we’re watching American Idol, eating chocolate, and I’m trying to stay awake while typing this. I hope I’ve kept you up!

Hollyrock January 23, 2012

Welcome to Arizona! If you are going back to Whole Foods don’t forget to ask for a sample of their Tufu Curry Chik’n in the deli case. Holy Canoli it’s great. Also, if your in Scottsdale you may want to check out Dr Andrew Weils vegan/vegetarian restaurant True Food. I hear its good and they have vegan ice cream. Have fun on your trip.

Daisey January 23, 2012

I so want to try the Kale smoothie. It looks amazing!

lisa January 23, 2012

You should visit us in Tucson! Lots of outdoor activities and beautiful mountains. Also, did you know that each arm on the saguaro cactus represents about 100 years? That cactus is over 1,000 years old.

Jessica January 23, 2012

Angela – You have to visit Chakra4 before you leave our lovely town. It is an amazing food and herb shop. The food is made with lots of love!!! A fave place of mine. :)

angela January 23, 2012

Hey Jessica, Is it like a natural food store? Sounds interesting!

Jessica January 23, 2012

It’s a food (100% organic and vegetarian – though everything is vegan optional!) and a little herb shop. The walls are lined with all kinds of goodies. They have herbalists on the premises to help answer questions. http://www.chakra4herbs.com/Default.asp.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 24, 2012

Thanks!

Jessica January 23, 2012

The restaurant portion was a little hard to navigate so here is the link to the menu. http://chakra4vegetarianrestaurant.com/vegetarian-menu

laura January 23, 2012

Gotta love WF! those shaker salad go cups are perfect, they have quite the variety too.
Have a blast in Arizona :)

Tracy January 23, 2012

That salad looks delicious! I wrote down the ingredients and might try to make it myself. Although trying to figure out what makes that dressing “ginger” when I dont see any ginger listed. ??

angela January 23, 2012

Sorry that was my sleep deprived brain typing :)

Tracy January 24, 2012

Actually, no it says on the ingredients that it’s Orange Ginger dressing but they didn’t put ginger in the ingredients. I’m going to assume it was a Whole Foods typo and there is probably some minced ginger in there. :) Can’t wait to see your take on the recipe!

Jen January 23, 2012

Ooh that Green Monster looks wonderful and you’re so right, they compensate beautifully for lack of sleep. They always kick me into gear when I take them in to work for my breakfast, though I often can’t convince my colleagues of how delicious they are, they can’t get passed the colour, their loss I think :-D.

Lisa (bakebikeblog) January 23, 2012

so much deliciousness already!

Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner January 23, 2012

Ahh, I feel your pain. I’m the same way, if I surpass my tiredness it’s game over and it’s much more difficult to fall asleep.

Have fun and enjoy the sunshine eh!

Dani January 23, 2012

Welcome to Arizona! I have to also recommend that you visit Green. It’s absolutely delicious vegan comfort food, and their tsoynamis are amazing as well. Hope you have a good time here, too bad it’s so cloudy today!

Ariel January 23, 2012

Phoenix probably is a nice weather change for you! It doesn’t get too cold here. ;)

Allie Finch January 23, 2012

Enjoy Arizona. :) We moved to Flagstaff a year ago & love it. Hopefully you make it to Sedona; it’s one of my favorite places. I’m not sure how long you are here, but shoot me an email if you want to hike in Sedona this weekend or something. Jerome is also adorable & so neat — Google for images — it’s pretty artsy & built into the side of a hill!

Vicki January 23, 2012

You picked a great time to visit our state (I’m south of you in Tucson). Sunny year round… but hey, where’d those clouds come from? Lots to see and do in Phoenix and I hope you get a taste of the cultural offerings. The Heard Museum is amazing. I’m a huge fan of your blog, but I haven’t ever posted. But, just want you to know that I made your basic oatmeal squares on Sunday (yum), and we had your Over the Rainbow Cabbage Salad as a side for lunch today. You’re so right…The tahini lemon dressing is finger licking good. I always know if you say something is scumptious, then I will love it too. Thanks for sharing your amazing talents with us via your blog. I hope you enjoy your Arizona adventure and your family. Bienvenidos!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 23, 2012

Hi Vicki, Thanks for your comment…it’s nice to meet you! No worry about the clouds…we’re used to it! I’m sure that glorious sun will be shining soon. :)
I’m happy you enjoyed the squares and salad too! Enjoy the rest.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 23, 2012

Just as you leave Ontario, it starts to warm up! It was 8 degrees here today hehe! ;) I’m sure it must be even nicer in Phoenix though. Enjoy your trip!

angela January 23, 2012

hah I heard that! Strange winter we are having eh?

Tracy @ Tracy's Treats January 23, 2012

Have a wonderful time in Phoenix! You should soak up the warmer weather before heading back to Canada! :-)

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama January 23, 2012

I’ll be waiting for the recipe for the salad. Looks delicious! Enjoy your time in AZ!

Ann January 23, 2012

I hope you enjoy Arizona! I have to admire you for choosing such healthy options while you travel. It is one of the things I truly struggle with – going into “vacation eating” mode. BRAVO!

Ellie@Fit for the Soul January 23, 2012

Ohhh how cool you’re in AZ! :D My future in-laws have a house there and I visited a few times. Being with my loved ones is fun! But being in AZ’s summer dry heat is no bueno! haha, I bet it’s nice right now though. :) Have fun and stay safe Angela~

Alex @ Raw Recovery January 23, 2012

You look so gorgeous in your “ready to travel” picture. White looks really nice on you! On a separate note, I’ve been enjoying lots of fresh blueberries the last few weeks. Whole foods is just amazing. Have fun in Phoenix!

angela January 23, 2012

Thank you Alex, you are too kind!

Tammy January 23, 2012

I am a Canadian who grew up in Phoenix and highly recommend Pita Jungle to eat at. Not 100% vegan but offers amazing vegan options and yummy yummy yummy hummus. Have fun!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 24, 2012

Thanks, I will check it out!

PoochesForPeace (Anna H) January 23, 2012

I am craving that yummy dinner u made! Looks soooo good!

Tiffany January 23, 2012

I never realized so many readers live in or around Phoenix! I live in Scottsdale and yes, like others have said, you should definitely try True Food Kitchen. D’lish is also great, although more for vegetarian options, although you could always ask for no cheese. I haven’t been to Green but I’ve heard it’s good, just lots of fake meat products. Have a great time here and I hope it warms up some more for you…looks like it should by tomorrow or Wednesday. :)

Carla January 24, 2012

Angela welcome to AZ and i bet your enjoying our amazing weather!!!! im in Gilbert :) I also reccomend Green and true foods. AHHHMAZING places to eat! Love your blog and my kids LOVEEEEEEEEE you recipes!!! especially the baked good ;) thanks again!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 24, 2012

Thanks Carla, I hope we get there this week! Sounds like a great place.

Amy @ contented corner January 24, 2012

I always love the food that you photograph & eat, I’m actually sat at my computer drooling! I love asparagus! Yum!

Diana January 24, 2012

My husband and I lived in Phoenix for seven years before moving to Florida (huge change, by the way) and if you can make it to Sedona, you should try to drive through Jerome before Sedona or after. It’s a really old mining town with some really cool art shops, plus the drive to get there is amazing and and terrifying, and by that I mean no guardrails on the road and an insane drop down. So worth it, though! Thanks for sharing your beautiful blog with the world.

Janice January 24, 2012

I’m going to be in Phoenix in October for a conference, so I’m enjoying everyone’s recommendations! Will spend a couple of days in Sedona!

Wow — do you know how to eat well when you are on vacation!!

Shannon January 24, 2012

You have to try Nourish Restaurant in Scottsdale. It’s got tons of Vegan, Gluten Free food and the owner actually has a gluten allergy and its seriously amazing. I go there once a week it’s soooo good!

Doreen G. January 24, 2012

Welcome to AZ! Wish you were doing some sort of seminar or something ;) That’s just me being selfish, sorry! Enjoy your stay and your family time…I’m sure it will be wonderful!

Doreen G. January 24, 2012

ps. I’m in Chandler. All your Arizona folks should shout out where they are…I’ll bet you’ll be amazed at your reach here…all the way from Canada!

Shannon January 24, 2012

In North Scottsdale, AZ here!

Alexandra January 24, 2012

Welcome to AZ! Every Saturday morning starting at 8 am until about 1 pm there is a lovely Farmers Market in Old Town Scottsdale! I would definitely recommend checking it out while you are here http://www.arizonafarmersmarkets.com/pageScottsdaleOldtown/ScottsdaleOTsat.htm

Brigid January 24, 2012

What’s the blender you’re using there and how did you like it’s performance? I’m in the market for a heavy duty one but can’t bring myself to shell out the money for the coveted Vitamix. Would love your blender recommendations for making Green Monsters!

Victoria January 24, 2012

Hey Angela, I live in Sedona, one of the most beautiful places in the world. Let me know if you are passing through. I would to tell you about our amazing city.

Ally @ A Girl in her Kitchen January 24, 2012

My hubby and I went to Phoenix last winter and did a lot of hiking. I recognize some of the trails you guys are on! So neat! We stayed at the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass resort. We loved our time in Arizona! Have a good time and enjoy the sun!

Kait January 24, 2012

Are you staying in a time share or something or did you pack the blender?!

ashley rebekah January 25, 2012

everything you eat is just beautiful.

enjoy arizona!

Katie January 25, 2012

Hope your trip to Arizona is going well! :) My family went to Sedona a couple Christmas’s ago and did so much hiking! Your pics actually look exactly like ours (as I’m sure everywhere in Arizona looks similar). :)

Pat January 26, 2012

Enjoy arizona. I’m from here and its a great place. Ive been up camelback, but from the gentle side. You should try the wind cave trail in mesa its great. Or sabino canyon in tucson, my favorite place.

Megan Wall January 26, 2012

Hey that’s awesome you’re in Phoenix! We Canadians are staging an invasion down there I think… I’m from Saskatchewan and my family has a hideway down there :)
we love it! Going for February break after midterms and I can’t wait! ~Enjoy~

Katie January 26, 2012

Hi Angela! I’ve read your blog forever but I don’t think I’ve commented enough on how wonderful your recipes are! The 15 Minute Avocado Pasta is my favorite! I hope you enjoy your stay in AZ, I live in Tucson, not too far away, there is lots of great hiking all over this state!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 26, 2012

Thanks for your comment Katie!

lainie January 26, 2012

you MUST MUST MUST go to True Food Kitchen either at the Biltmore on 24th St and Camelback or the one at Scottsdale Quarter (Scottsdale and Greenway). I worked there for 3 years and my boyfriend manages at the Biltmore one. they have the most amazing food!!! Absolutely must get the Kale Salad with something ontop…Quinoa, Tempeh, Tofu all good choices!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 26, 2012