Old School Total Body Workout

My theory is if I drink a lot of smoothies, spring will magically appear.

IMG 6158   Old School Total Body Workout

So far, outlook not good…(although today was the first dusting of snow we’ve had practically all winter!). This is why I haven’t changed my blog header to a winter theme yet…I need more snow!

IMG 1432   Old School Total Body Workout

This smoothie was made up of frozen blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, and blackberries (~1 cup) along with almond milk (1.25 cups), chia seeds (2 tbsp), and half a frozen banana.

IMG 6162   Old School Total Body Workout

Followed by a frozen girl.

To warm up, I did this quick at-home power workout using a jump rope and my own body weight for resistance exercises. Kicking it old school!

I did 3 sets of the following exercises:

• 1 minute jumping jacks
  • 2 minutes jump rope
  • 15 lunges on each leg
  • 1 minute jump rope
  • 2 sets of 15 squats
  • 1 set of 15 push-ups (standard, kneeling, or combo)
  • 2 minutes jumping rope
  • 1 minute bicycle crunches

I did 3 sets and then some light stretching at the end. The workout took me 35 minutes and went by pretty quick! I also used this stopwatch timer on the internet too.

A few tips:

• Feel free to take rest breaks as needed
  • You will hate me for making the jump rope after the lunges (don’t say I didn’t warn you!)
  • Only got 10 minutes? Just do 1 set for a quick total body workout
  • Want to make it more challenging? Add some hand weights, water bottles, cans, etc
  • Want more cardio? Tack on a mile run before and/or after the workout
  • Feel free to change up the ab exercises at the end
  • Always consult a professional before beginning a new fitness regime

Rosy cheeks ensued! I love interval workouts.

IMG 1428   Old School Total Body Workout

You know, old school moves never get old…especially jumping rope! I don’t know how I used to do that for hours and hours as a child. Must have been all that penny candy I was stuffing my face with. Do you remember how much candy $1 used to buy? 100 PIECES. That $5 allowance went pretty far back in the day.

Hilliary @Happily Ever Healthy January 13, 2012

Your smoothie looks delicious! We are the same way down here in MN we just got the first snow on the ground since November! It is so cold here!

TeenyLittleSuperChef January 13, 2012

I totally crave smoothies all year long which is unfortunate in the winter when I have to put on my gloves and puffy jacket just to be able to drink them. Oh well, it does a body good! That’s a great idea to do a little workout right after in order to warm up again. And jumping rope seriously never gets old. It takes me back to when I was little and we would do the Double Dutch jump rope on the playground… ahh memories :)
Have a great weekend! Stay warm

Brandy January 13, 2012

I’m trying to get back into working out too, mostly with strength training. I’ll do cardio all day, but strength is not my thing! And who am I kidding, I haven’t been doing much cardio lately either! Anyway, have you ever looked at the Bex Life site? She’s a personal trainer and her workouts are awesome. She posts them all on you tube. My favorite is the One Month Twelve Workouts series. http://www.bexlife.com/2009/12/one-month-twelve-workouts-video-1-of-12/
Just figured I’d pass that along.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

Thanks I will check it out :)

Amber K January 13, 2012

There was never a place with penny candy near me, so $1 bought one king size candy bar. But I totally used my sugar high from that to use my Skip-it for hours at a time. I don’t think I actually ever did jump rope, but man that Skip-it was the best!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

oh SKIP IT!!!! Totally forgot about those. How dare I. I wonder if I can buy one off ebay hah

Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl January 13, 2012

And how was it that jumping rope was so easy as a kid. And now, 1 min or 2min seems like a really long time to struggle? LOL. Nice smoothie!

Christine January 13, 2012

Angela, I tweeted you a response to your old school workout by telling you to check out a “real” old school workout… Buns of Steel. I thought about it after I tweeted and thought it might have come across as me implying that I didn’t think your workout wasn’t a “real” old school workout, when what I meant was “REALLY” old school, like way – way back in the day! I didn’t at all mean to imply that your workout wasn’t a real old school one. Anyway, maybe you didn’t even take it that way at all and I’m just being hyper sensitive today, but I just wanted to clarify for fear of coming across as rude! Okay, just had to get that out! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

Hey Christine! heh just got your tweet…I didn’t take it that way AT ALL so don’t worry! I’m always worrying about wording online too. Story of my life. Anyways, I will def check out that video…anything with buns of steel deserves a look. ;)

Christine January 14, 2012

Oh good, I feel much better now! :) I’m always worried about wording too! Here’s a link to part 1 of 3 of the Buns of Steel workout I mentioned: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biCBPpsWdsE You will laugh really hard when you see the outfits and hear the instructor’s comments, but it burns!! Part 1 works the outer thigh and parts 2 & 3 do the inner thighs and butt. Happy bun burning! ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 14, 2012

hah oh man I just clicked play and it’s hilarious…but it looks like it’s a good workout indeed!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 13, 2012

The last picture of you is why the name of this site is what it is: you’re glowing!

Glad you got a good workout in and I haven’t jumped rope in far too long but I love old school workouts like just jumping rope, pushups, a few situps, and back to basic moves.

And oh yes, $1 used to buy enough candy and sugar to get a good sugar rush going :)

Susan H. @ The Food Allergy Chronicles January 13, 2012

Oh that smoothie looks so yummy! Did you get a big dumping of snow today? Finally, a winter wonderland! You may get to take your winter picture!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

We haven’t got too much…maybe 5cm or so? I’m still hoping to take the pics this weekend though! Not sure what I’m going to put in them….maybe a big smoothie and swimsuit? lol

Mary@QuarterLifePickMeUp January 13, 2012

I’ve missed your work out posts! Hope to see more of them!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

Thanks Mary, I hope to do more too! Missed them.

Elizabeth January 13, 2012

Oh my goodness, that smoothie looks DELICIOUS! Thank you for the idea! I haven’t tried Chia seeds yet, but I’ve heard so many good things about them, especially when you’re a runner, so I will have to give them a try. The workout also looks challenging and awesome. Thank you for sharing! :)

Elly January 13, 2012

Mmm, your smoothie looks good and your workout looks great – nice and high intensity! Quick question – are you still running much? Would love to hear how you are going with your running/what your usual weekly workout routine looks like :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

Hey Elly! Good question…I am running on the treadmill over the winter mostly (unless we have a warm day here and there)…I haven’t kept track but I’d say I’ve been running 10 miles a week or a bit more (in addition to the DVD workout stuff). I’m basically just running to keep up my base right now, but will amp it up once the weather gets nicer and I’m training for a race!

Elly January 13, 2012

Oh great, thanks for replying! Looking forward to hearing about your training in the lead-up to your races this year :) Hope the weather warms up a bit for you so that you can enjoy some outside runs as well :)

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit January 13, 2012

I kick it old school everyday (that I start with a bodyrock.tv workout, anyways) It feels so great using my body weight to achieve results. Love it! Have an awesome weekend!

dana @ my little celebration January 13, 2012

Just did this workout and it KILLED. Thanks Angela! I took me 40 minutes with adequate dance breaks :D

Happy Weekending!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

Oh I can’t believe I forgot dancing breaks! Will have to add that in…or myabe break dancing? bahah

Melody (Redhead in the Kitchen) January 13, 2012

Awesome! I’ve been looking for an old school routine like this. Definitely will try this week!

Laura @ Running on Pie January 13, 2012

That looks like a fun workout for a icky weather day!

Cait's Plate January 13, 2012

Hahah I love that theory! I’m going to jump on board and hope that with the two of us drinking lots of smoothies Spring will HAVE to come faster! :)

LizAshlee January 13, 2012

I love workouts like this one..they are my fav!! :)

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie January 13, 2012

Smoothies + space heater = best combination ever :)

Moni'sMeals January 13, 2012

let me just say… that is a fabulous routine, well done. :) Old skool is the way to go and jump rope… always!

Yum on that smoothie!!

Karlee @olivewineandfood January 13, 2012

I’m trying to pin that workout, but i can’t figure out how!

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous January 13, 2012

That smoothie is such a fun color and bursting with nutrition!

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles January 13, 2012

We warmed up with jump roping at CrossFit the other day and I could not believe how difficult it was. When I was twelve I could jump rope for hours!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama January 13, 2012

Sometimes the best workouts are old school. I like to run up and down my stairs, do pushups, squats, tricep dips, and dance around like a fool. Simple but effective!

Natalie @fitjamericangirl.com January 13, 2012

It’s like we’re thinking on the same wave length here. I totally woke up this morning and thought, “I’m gonna do an old school workout”. So I did some Tae Bo. Whooo!!! Was that tough. I haven’t done Tae Bo in like seven years and it was like waking up parts of my body that have gone to sleep. What a jolt! Next I think I’m going to find some of my mom’s old Jane Fonda tapes.

Mandy Jo January 13, 2012

Not much Winter here in Idaho (aka I-duh-ho) either!
Thanks for the great workout! I recently purchased a gym membership and have realized that I really prefer working out at home. I think you can get the same benefits at home anyway and it’s cheaper AND much less time consuming!

Addy January 13, 2012

Thanks for the workout, Angela- I did it today, and it was perfect! I’ve heard jumping rope is a really good workout…boy, do I believe it now!

Mish January 13, 2012

I did the same today. It was a HOT humid saturday morning this morning in Australia and I just got on the treadmill and just walked intervals inclines for 20 minutes. Got off and thought I’ll do a 10 minute circuit of kettelball squats, weight lunges then plyo lunges, shoulder press, tricep kickbacks, plank then medicine ball crunches. It was simple, and good. old school. fabulous.

Mish January 13, 2012

When it’s warm outside..I can’t remember if you’ve made popsciles, but I threw my smoothies with a hint of extra banana and soy yogurt into molds. They’re great…for when it’s hot. Six more months to go ;)

Laura @ A Healthy Jalapeño January 13, 2012

Looks and sounds amazing, plus your workout tips are super helpful. very nice

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva January 13, 2012

Loving the old school workout girl. I made a blueberry raspberry protein smoothie this morning. Was delish!!!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] January 14, 2012

I’m a huge fan of the ol’ jumprope :) sexy calves, yes please.

Willow January 14, 2012

Haha – I keep eating cold breakfasts as well, and then putting on some music and kicking it to warm up. Wish I had a jump rope, though… that’d make it more fun. :)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers January 14, 2012

Great workout! I’m going to do this one today!

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles January 14, 2012

Jumping rope is SUCH an awesome workout! I Definitely need to do it more often!

laura January 14, 2012

I used to love jump roping as a child. I could do double dutch!
& I am really liking your theory, enough with this coldness

Stacey January 14, 2012

I bought a jump rope today so I can do your workout at home. It will be nice for days I don’t feel like going to the gym.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 16, 2012

Enjoy Stacey!

Tamara January 14, 2012

Yum, I love having smoothies even in the winter, it helps to cool me down after the workouts & love the old school workout!
T

Theresa V January 14, 2012

This is exactly what I needed to kick the winter lazies. I just did it with a few alterations and loveeed it. It felt great to get out the ol’ jump rope! I can’t wait to pair this with a green monster next time. Thanks!

Andrea January 14, 2012

Angela, I was planning on making your recipe for vegan shepherd’s pie this weekend and now I can’t find it anywhere on the blog! Could you help please?

Andrea January 14, 2012

Just found it through a previous post. Couldn’t find it on the recipage though, weird.

denise January 14, 2012

Do you have any idea how many calories you burned with that workout? I know we shouldn’t focus on counting calories, but I am curious to know how it compares to other types of workouts.

Page 2 of 3«123»