Healthy Chocolate Chia Pudding

IMG 6188   Healthy Chocolate Chia Pudding

Chocolate.

PMS.

Mood swings.

Cravings.

Sore boobs.

Tearing up over random TV shows (example: Redemption Inc).

Chocolate.

Uncontrollable yawning.

Random anger.

Healthier chocolate pudding.

IMG 6177   Healthy Chocolate Chia Pudding

I am a woman, hear me roar!

This is the pudding I make when I feel like inhaling a bag of chocolate chips.

IMG 6183   Healthy Chocolate Chia Pudding

It lets me return to my normal self, at least for now…

My chocolate cravings are satisfied and I feel like a million bucks, minus the sore boobs, mood swings, and yawning of course.

IMG 6173   Healthy Chocolate Chia Pudding

I wouldn’t say that it’s for everyone though; if you aren’t into soaked chia seeds (and their slim-factor) you might not like this pudding. You could try adding rolled oats for a chewier texture and do more of a vegan overnight oats recipe if that floats your boat. I added in a couple tablespoons of oats at the last minute.

Top it with a bit of shaved dark chocolate on top…and it’s pretty much my favourite snack going. I also love it heated up with a spoonful of coconut cream stirred in! Want to thicken it up? Mash in a banana just before serving.

IMG 6179   Healthy Chocolate Chia Pudding

Healthy Chocolate Chia Pudding

I make this pudding when I want something indulgent tasting, but don’t feel like eating a ton of sugar. It satisfies and energizes me while letting me get on with my day. I love mixing carob powder and cocoa powder for a more complex chocolate flavour. The carob powder also adds a natural sweetness that I love. If you don’t have carob, I suggest using a bit more cocoa powder and sweetener since it will be less sweet without the carob. Serve cold or heated up!

Adapted from Repair and Recover Chia Pudding

Print this recipe

Yield: 2 servings

Ingredients:

• 1 & 1/4 cup to 1 & 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, as needed to thin out
  • 1/4 cup chia seeds
  • 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 2 tbsp carob flour/powder (I buy it at Bulk Barn)
  • 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
  • Shaved chocolate for garnish (optional)

1. In a large bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients (starting with 1 & 1/4 cup almond milk) until the clumps are gone. Place in fridge for 1-2 hours, until thick or overnight. Stir well, add more milk if desired to achieve the thickness you desire, and serve chilled. Alternatively you can heat in the microwave and serve it warm. It’s nice with a spoonful of coconut cream mixed in or a mashed banana too.

Nutritional Info: (per serving, without shaved chocolate): 197 kcals, 12 grams fat (healthy fat from chia/almond), 26 grams carbs, 15 grams fibre, 9 grams sugar, 8 grams protein.

Also try Pumpkin Pie Chia Pudding Parfait.

IMG 6182   Healthy Chocolate Chia Pudding

This morning, I enjoyed heated-up chocolate pudding and a breakfast cookie.

I should be a lot nicer today.

Rachel Runs January 11, 2012

i literally laughed out loud when I read this!! you are too funny, i CRAVE chocolate like no other for at least a few days before that lovely time of the month. I made your similar pudding for thanksgiving dessert and it was soooo tasty!! I like the idea of banana chunks or mashed banana in it too. mmmmmm

Katie January 11, 2012

This would have been perfect for me last weekend… I cried during a movie called Real Steal.. seriously? ugh. Looks yummy, I’ll have to try!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 12, 2012

haha…I can relate. Im always like I hope Eric doesn’t look at me cuz Im tearing up over this!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] January 11, 2012

I’ve inhaled way too many {PMS-induced} bags of chocolate chips. Perhaps I should give this a try ;)

Susan H. @ The Food Allergy Chronicles January 11, 2012

I am so in love with this recipe…must try! I will have to use a nut free milk…I have rice and soy milk which are sweetened…will have to play with the sweetner as I will not be able to buy the carob powder at the bulk barn…cross-contamination issues. How many servings does it make? Thanks.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 12, 2012

This recipe makes 2 servings, or one large serving. :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 11, 2012

I love your repair and recover chia pudding! It kind of looks like frogs eggs. :D Surprisingly that doesn’t gross me out enough to prevent me from eating it haha.

Catriona January 11, 2012

So does the soaked chia resemble, texture-wise, tapioca? I usually put it with my yogurt, but it only softens maybe 5 minutes before I inhale it…

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 12, 2012

I haven’t had Tapioca before but I think it might be a bit more gel-like?

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner January 11, 2012

OHMYGOSH that looks amazing! <3 <3 <3

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco January 11, 2012

I think you just saved me from inhaling a bag of chocolate chips.

Me and my waistline thank you.

Lindsay @ Salt, Sun & Sanity January 11, 2012

That looks to die for! That’s it, I’m biting the bullet and buying into this chia seed hype. Where can I sign up?!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers January 11, 2012

This looks delicious! Hope you don’t mind but I’m featuring your Cookie Dough Balls lll on my blog tomorrow morning!

Kari @ bite-sized thoughts January 11, 2012

This is DEFINITELY my kind of chocolate pudding. Any time of day kind of definitely :)

KellyB January 11, 2012

Hi
Did I read somewhere in one of your posts that you buy your almond milk and don’t bother making it? Every other blogger makes almond milk and raves about how good it tastes. I can’t seem to make a milk that my kids will drink and now I feel guilty buying and throwing out all that milk packaging. Ugh!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 12, 2012

Hey Kelly, I did make it once and I didn’t find it was very cost effective. If I can find cheaper almonds, I might give it another shot!

Meredith January 11, 2012

Yum!!!! I tried this tonight — so good!!

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie January 11, 2012

Since the PMSing just commenced, I think the choco chia pudding needs to do so as well :)

Katie January 12, 2012

Looks really good. I love that it’s low in sugar but packs a chocolate punch. I’m going to have to pick up some chia seeds and give it a try. :)KT

Anastasia@healthymamainfo.com January 12, 2012

This thing looks amazing! I’m so making it, it’s impossible to resist :)

Nadiya January 12, 2012

Interesting Recipe. I’ve never tried making chia seed pudding but is it somewhat like tapioca pudding but more nutritious?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 12, 2012

I haven’t had Tapicoa before, but I think it’s similar, although maybe a bit more gel-like and slimy? heh. but yes VERY nutritious!!

sahara January 12, 2012

Hi, I love your blog, although am not a vegetarian. I live in Lagos, Nigerian, and not so sure what chia seeds are referred to here, google did not have anything on it, but I want to try them, so if you can suggest where you buy yours, in America, I have friend coming over next week whom I would like to ask to buy for me. thank you

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 12, 2012

Hey Sahara, You can buy them from bulk food stores, Whole Foods, and places online like chiaseedsdirect.com goodluck!

Nikki @ Active Vegetarian January 12, 2012

Looks delicious! On my “must try” list for sure :-)
Thanks for all the great posts!

Sonya January 12, 2012

Reporting back on this recipe. I made it last night and within 2 hours or so, I had a yummy dessert! It’s amazing how the chia seeds plump up and absorb the almond milk and become somewhat like tapioca pearls, with some crunch. I’m a happy girl since the recipe was so yummy, healthy and I had all of the ingredients in my kitchen, except for the carob powder. I just used extra cocoa powder (Hershey’s Special Dark) and extra Agave Syrup (2 tbsp amber and 2 tbsp raw). In the print version of this recipe, it says you can add some rolled oats and I did that. Thank you!

Ellie@Fit for the Soul January 12, 2012

Mmmm it actually looks appealing! hahaa, leave it to Angie to do a great job at that. :) This sounds really good~and I totally get sore tatas as well as uncontrollable yawning. Oh! And crazy water retention. “I am a woman hear me roar!” Too funny :P

Persephonie January 12, 2012

I hear ya! Chocolate, sore boobs, etc. Thank the good lord for recipes like this that fulfill the craving and are actually healthy to inhale. Thank you!

Rachel January 12, 2012

If you add just a little coffee substitute such as Pero or Dandy Blend to carob it gives it a more authentic chocolate flavor.

It works enough that a non-healthy carnivore will like it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 12, 2012

great tip! Thanks :)

VeggieGirl January 12, 2012

This is a great recipe, thanks! :)

Kris January 12, 2012

Wow!! That looks great Angela. A friend of mine is a fan of your blog. She knows that I love chia and sent me this link. I enjoyed reading your story! Love your photo’s too. Adding your blog to my favorites…

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 12, 2012

Thanks Kris! Off to check out your blog too :)

Susan January 12, 2012

I made this for breakfast this morning without the carob powder and I added the suggested banana for extra sweetness. OMG, it was so good! Definitely helped curb my chocolate craving. It says it makes 2 servings, but I only seemed to get 1 serving from it. Hmmm… ;)

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles January 12, 2012

Definitely keeping this up my sleeve for those days!

Irina G (Fit Flexitarian) January 12, 2012

This looks AMAZING. Although I’m not PMSing right now… but can I make it anyway? Actually, my real question is: can I make it with coconut milk? I have a ton leftover from another recipe and I’m looking to do something creative with it.

Laura January 12, 2012

I was actually eating a bowl of pumpkin chocolate chia pudding as I was reading this post. Can’t wait to try your recipe out!

I can totally relate on the PMS, as many women can. Sore boobs are more like painful boobs for me. And uncontrollable yawning is more like total knock-out, hours-long PMS nap that I cannot awaken from. The chocolate cravings are annoying in that I never seem to have chocolate around when I crave it. And that frustration adds to the random anger. Yep, fun.

JessE @ Love Life From Scratch January 12, 2012

In my fridge “soaking” as I type this! Used 2 T cocoa powder and a touch of honey as well to make up for not having the carob powder. Not sure I can resist it for 2 hours :)

Alison M. January 13, 2012

I made this last night and shared it with my boss today. Yum! We added in chopped up almonds and unsweetened coconut to get an “Almond Joy” flavor. Great stuff and so easy to make!

Bonnie January 13, 2012

Hey Angela! I LOVED this recipe! I’m already excited to go home and eat some more. :) I linked to it in a post today…thanks for sharing and creating!

Ariel January 13, 2012

I just made this. I can’t wait for it to be ready! One question though, what is the point of using carob powder instead of all cocoa powder? What else can I use carob powder for?

Alyssa January 13, 2012

I just made this for dessert and it was absolutely delicious! What a yummy, healthy dessert. This will be a new standby for sure!

Katie January 14, 2012

Oh my, I’ve made probably three batches of this since you first posted it! I am completely obsessed. I’d never even had chia seeds before, and now I am addicted! And after the pipes in our basement burst and had to be replaced, I definitely needed chocolate, and it was awesome being able to come to something healthy! Also, I just recently became vegan a month ago and your recipes and posts have been such a help and inspiration! Thank you so much for being a wonderful role model and blogger!

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. January 14, 2012

Just adore chia seeds. Have them everyday!

Monica Gupta January 15, 2012

Just ran out of almond milk but really want to make this really soon!! Do you think soy milk would work?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 16, 2012

Im not a huge fan of the taste of soy but if you like it them by all means you can use that too!

Jenna January 15, 2012

I just about inhaled an entire bag of chocolate chips the other day, next time I’m trying this instead :)

Sheesh January 16, 2012

I made this last night, it was so delicious! Thank you!

I just read this makes two servings……….oooooops! LOL. I’ll half it next time, since there is no way I could save half for the next day :P So so good.

Adrianne January 17, 2012

This came out great! Tapioca-ish texture. Newly vegan hubby loved it too!

Page 3 of 5«12345»