2011 Time Warp

Can we just rewind 7 days and pretend that I started my New Year’s goals on time?

I’m kinda living in a 2011 time warp right now.

IMG 1409 thumb   2011 Time Warp

There has been no talk of taking down the Christmas tree or decorations yet. I think Eric and I are in a holiday decoration stand off, waiting to see who will cave first. Plus, it’s so cozy with the tree all lit up at night and the creepy Nutcrackers peering at me from the mantel! Aw, creepy Nutcrackers.

With our long winters, I’m in no rush to pack up the holiday joy just yet. It can wait, much like I am for spring.

Can we also pretend that I accomplished all of 2011’s goals while we’re at it? Or even more than half of them?

Here’s a little recap of my 2011 goals and how I did.

1. Take care of my health and continue my journey with a vegan diet

I felt like I really hit my stride when it came to veganism this year. I made all kinds of new vegan recipes and tried many new foods and vegan restaurants. I got in the v-zone! On the flip side, I also learned to be more patient when I was somewhere that wasn’t veg-friendly and thankful when I was somewhere that was. I tried to take it all in stride. In terms of my health, I’d say I did well, especially with exercise and nutrition. However, I still need to work on getting my mental health more balanced when it comes to my anxiety. I still struggle with it more than I’d like to admit.

2. Blogging: focus on quality over quantity

I definitely worked hard on my recipe creation, photography, and writing in 2011. There are still a lot of things I want to improve and work on, but that’s the beauty of the beast!

3. Write a vegan cookbook proposal + sign with publisher + start cookbook testing and writing process

I honestly did not think that I was going to come close to making this goal, but things took a sudden turn for the better in the fall. I signed with a wonderful literary agency and planned on finishing my proposal in February 2012 (the proposals are often over 50 pages, so I gave myself a few months). However, I was contacted by a publishing house in November asking me to send them my cookbook proposal. Needless to say, this lit a fire under my butt and I was working on it like crazy until 2 or 3 in the morning every night. Two weeks later, my agent sent it to our list of favourite publishers and since December, I’ve been having conference calls with them discussing our ideas for the book (scary!). Because this process can take a while (especially over the holidays), I’ve already started working on my cookbook to get a jump start, creating new recipes, writing, and trying to get a handle on this crazy process. Hopefully, I will have good news to report to you soon! If not, I’m still going to keep working on the book and chasing my dream.

4. Save 10% of monthly gross income into high interest savings account.

I saved a bit, but definitely not 10%. One of my goals in 2012 will relate to how I’m going to improve this area. I need a budget overhaul and I think mint.com is going to be involved.

5. Run a 5k race

As it turned out, I didn’t race at all in 2011, which was a big contrast to 2010. I never would’ve guessed that I wouldn’t make this goal, but I ended up focusing on strength training, spinning, yoga, and running for pleasure. It was a nice change! I guess I just wasn’t in the race mode in 2011. I did run a few speedy 5ks on my own for free though. :)

6. Raise money for charity

This was a big success in 2011, thanks to YOU! We raised a whopping $7,200 for the Japan Disaster Relief Fundraiser, in addition to various other bake sale charities over the year. Thank you for your generosity!

7. Do Body Pump class a minimum of one time per week

I don’t think it averaged out to once a week all year long, but I was happy with getting back into my strength training this year. I’m not renewing my gym membership in 2012 (as an effort to save moula), but I will tell you what I’m going to do for home workouts instead.

8. Take a photography course

Sadly, this didn’t happen, but it’s still on my list of things I want to do (Eric too!).

9. Ireland or bust

Well, I guess it was a bust! We didn’t end up going to Ireland, but we were blessed with a visit from our Irish relatives instead! We’ll make it there some day.

10. Meditate 3 minutes per day

I’m seriously dying laughing right now thinking about how big of a fail this goal was. I tried…I really did. I remember sitting on my office floor on January 1st, turning off the light, and setting the timer for 3 minutes. What felt like 5 hours later, I got up, feeling a bit more stressed than before I started. I even tried a meditation CD at one point, but I couldn’t stop laughing at the guy’s creepy voice long enough to meditate.

I’ve come to learn that I relax by doing things. My best meditation probably happens when I’m at a yoga class (even if I do force myself to wait until a few people leave the room before I leave Shavasana…)

On that note, I haven’t been to yoga in a downward dog’s age, so I best fix that.

11. Wild Card

The wild card was started in 2011, but ultimately was not finished yet. I’m hopeful I’ll be able to tell you about it in 2012!

~~~~~

Another year gone. Many experiences. Lessons Learned. Laughter. Mistakes made. Great memories. Tears. Chances taken. Disappointments. Blessings. Love. Goals completed. Goals not completed.

…and that’s why we look forward to a fresh start each year to do it all over again.

Here’s to 2012 and all it will bring. Decorations and all.

Sara January 7, 2012

Good job one your goals overall though :)

And I’m going to say something, and it may sound mean, but it’s just a thought in my head: why is it that every food blogger nowadays wants to/tries to write a cookbook? To me I see food blogging now as a desperate attempt for people to “make it big” with a cookbook and it’s slightly irksome…

Lauren Helen January 8, 2012

People who have original ideas and create their own recipes have EVERY right to try to publish a cookbook! I think it’s great because it makes the fantastic inner workings of the minds of the brilliant available to the rest of the world!

I, for one, am over the moon that I found this blog. Angela is pure genius!
And for those who don’t really search the internet for recipes or food blogs, a cookbook would be a great way for them to find her recipes and ideas!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 8, 2012

Hi Sara, For me, it’s about being passionate about what I do and wanting to share this with others. If I didn’t love what I do, there’s no way I would pour all of my energy and time into a book. Thankfully, no one forces us to read books or blogs that we don’t want to, so I wouldn’t be bothered by it too much.

Bridgid Gallagher January 8, 2012

For me, if you have a solid following like Angela, you’ve already “made it big.” The cookbook is just icing on the cake (vegan cake, of course). :)

bitt of raw January 8, 2012

I think the publishers are the ones behind it. They want an author that already has a following so it’s easier to promote the book.

Kat January 9, 2012

Agreed with bitt of raw! I work for a publishing house and know that especially in nonfiction it is extremely important that a potential author have an existing platform. By tapping into the blog-land, you are getting an author that is usually a prolific writer (and so you know they’ll deliver the goods!), has a loyal fan base that love what they do (i.e. a certain amount of guaranteed sales haha), and are usually extremely diligent and self-motivated. These are just a few of the ingredients to a successful book :)

In my humble opinion, Angela’s blog is a fantastic resource that is both creative and entertaining! So cool that your recipes and heartfelt body image conversations will be able to gain more exposure on the shelves of bookstores :) Best of luck and can’t wait to see it!! Do you have any idea of pub month?

Best!
Kat

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

Thank you Kat! No idea yet of the pub date (or what publishing house yet), but I hope to know more soon.

Marianne January 7, 2012

That is sooo exciting about your book! And even if it doesn’t work out right away, at least you have something to show for it, and you’re even more prepared for the next opportunity! Good luck :)

Nadiya January 7, 2012

Sounds like a good plan. Wow! Publishing your own cookbook that’s so inspirational :D Best of luck with all of your plans

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan January 7, 2012

Oh man, “crazy process” doesn’t even begin to describe cookbook-writing! There was so much more to it than I ever realized before I wrote mine. Best of luck with it! Sounds like you’re off to a great start. :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 7, 2012

What a great recap and major, major congrats on the book front. I knew you had tricks up your sleeve. I knew you were hard at work behind the scenes, cooking, writing, taking pictures, repeating. It’s not easy to pull off in ‘all your spare time’ and congrats on it all! How exciting!

You may not have gone to Ireland but you went to CA and NY and other places.

And photography classes…well, after attending many, some are awesome, some aren’t quite as awesome. Sometimes self-study and practicing on your own can be just as good.

Yoga and not running as much? Sounds like a plan to me :)

Deb January 7, 2012

I’m definitely going to check out mint.com (that you mentioned) ~ glad you mentioned it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 8, 2012

I hope you like it, I’m going to set it up today…

Cara January 8, 2012

I’ve been using it for a year or so now and I LOVE it. You have to get your husband on board, though–make sure everything is in both names so you can register ALL of your accounts and ALL of your credit cards to actually keep track.

Heather January 7, 2012

I too have dealt with extreme anxiety! I have overcome it though (I still have it occasionally, but I have learned to embrace it as part of me and it makes it SO much easier to deal with… also, it happens SO rarely now compared to how it used to.) I don’t know you well because I started reading your blog only about a month ago, but I am anti-medicine so I went the cognitive therapy, self healing route. It was so awesome. If you don’t already have it, pick up “The Anxiety and Phobia workbook” There are tons of awesome exercises in there that help so much. Good luck, its a tough road, but it can be overcome! <3

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 8, 2012

I’m glad to hear that Heather, thanks for the tip. I’ve been meaning to pick up that book actually!

Tara Kennedy January 8, 2012

I’m in a Counselling Psyc program and we use that workbook- very helpful for both therapists and clients alike! Best of luck with everything.

Heidi January 8, 2012

Sounds like you had a great year, and that`s what counts!

Lee January 8, 2012

Not related to your post, but I made your butternut squash mac and cheeze the other night and my meat-loving husband loved it.

Thanks Lee!

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva January 8, 2012

Wow girl you definitely got a lot accomplished in 2011. And 2012 is going to be just as amazing! Can’t wait until your book comes out!

Brittany January 8, 2012

I will totally buy your book!! Keep going, girl!

Cait's Plate January 8, 2012

I give you a definite free pass on the 7 days late thing – especially considering how well you did with your 2011 goals!! Congrats on a wonderful year and here’s to a happy, healthy and successful year ahead!

Vicki January 8, 2012

Meditation is always hard at first but after a while it pays back :) and it can help for your anxiety problem!

Good point!

Christine January 8, 2012

Like I thought last year, I still believe that the wild card is a baby. We’ll see this year!

Kari @ bite-sized thoughts January 8, 2012

You certainly did a lot, even if you didn’t do it all – and maybe all was just too much for one year :) Enjoy moving into 2012 as you leave behind what sounds like a productive 2011.

Leah January 8, 2012

If your wild card is what I think it is I hope it happens for you in 2012! 2011 was a great year for you guys, regardless of what goals were met or not. I think sometimes throughout the year we make new goals for ourselves and leave others behind and that’s totally okay in my books!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 8, 2012

I agree…it’s hard to predict what we are going to want to do throughout the year!

Dorota January 8, 2012

Congratulations on your success with starting to get a cookbook deal rolling! You did awesome on your goals even if not all of them were accomplished. I remember reading them here last year and wondering how you were doing on the meditation one, hahah. Best of luck in 2012!

Sandra January 8, 2012

Hi there and thank you for such a wonderful blog!

I read what you wrote about your anxity problems and as a psychologist working with a form of CBT called ACT, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, I would just like to recommend that for you as it has helped me and a lot of people with problems regarding anxiety. It has a total different taking than traditional CBT and for me it was mindblowing.

A good first book about ACT is called “Get out of your mind and in to your life”, and it has a lot of excercises that you do on your own.

Have a nice day!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 8, 2012

Hey Sandra, I haven’t heard of that therapy but I will definitely check it out..thanks for the tip!

Juliane @ C'est moi à Paris January 8, 2012

If one would let me I could stay forever in Shavasana! I really love to meditate but I just can’t motivate myself to do it at home all by myself. But I want to change that in 2012!

Tracy January 8, 2012

Congratulations on great work on accomplishing your 2011. I think you did impressive work on reaching them and think it is completely normal and even healthy to allow some to develop and flourish while noticing that some other areas are not as important to you (like racing).

I have discovered your blog only recently and am continually refreshed and inspired by it.
Thank you for creating such a high quality blog with such great content and beautiful visuals.
You really remind me just how colorful, beautiful, varied and interesting healthy food can be!
Good luck with all your goals in 2012 and thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 8, 2012

Thank you Tracy :) All the best to you in 2012!

Julie - StressStories January 8, 2012

Wow, I think you really made your goals! I hope you’ve been celebrating how well you did by drinking champagne (or green monsters) and saluting yourself :-) One of my goals for 2012: Drink more champagne and celebrate myself more, which I think should be everyone’s goal in this world.

I so recognize that meditation issue. I KNOW that it would be better for me if I meditated, as it would probably make me a more calm and focused person – which is key when you have stress tendencies like I have – but somehow I keep forgetting that. I really try to get into a routine but it is hard. Other things somehow keep winning when battling for my time. Oh well, hopefully 2012 will be better on that account…

Georgia January 8, 2012

Great job with your resolutions Angela! If only I could have been half as successful! lol. Usually I make big sweeping statements and then lose motivation by February so this year I am taking things a little different: Making a “mini-resolution” each week, a minor lifestyle change. This week: floss! Adding something small but new each week will hopefully keep my motivation high plus over a year they should all add up to a healthier lifestyle. :)

On the money and budget side: try reading Gail Vax-Oxlade. She has a great blog or you can pick up one of her books at the library (She also has two shows on Slice, “Till Debt Do Us Part” and “Princess”. Both are great!). http://www.gailvazoxlade.com. She gives down-to-earth advice and also has some posts specifically tackling money issues for the self-imployed, which could help you out!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 8, 2012

Thanks for your suggestions!
I also love the idea of mini resolutions throughout the year. Very attainable!

Danielle January 8, 2012

agree with georgia, gail vaz-oxlade is great. but i also recommend mint.com like you mentioned. I started using it last year and it is a great and easy way to track your spending. nerve-wracking at first to enter all your financial info in there but i’m confident that it’s legit :)

Angela January 8, 2012

I agree it is a bit scary! I heard that you can submit the info anonymously though?

Danielle January 8, 2012

well it links to all of your accounts (bank, credit cards, loans), so you login and all of your transactions are there, you don’t have to enter them! i found the site by a recommendation from the Smart Cookies. They assured their readers/viewers that they’ve checked out the security and it’s safe. I’ve been using the site for almost a year now and there’s been no funny business. When I first joined I would login to all of my accounts about 20 times a day to make sure everything was ok, lol, and it was!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers January 8, 2012

I am so happy for you! I can’t wait to get your cookbook. I’m not vegan, but I love all your recipes and there easy enough to adapt to what I have in my cupboards!

You have great goals! I said it once before I discovered you on a magazine web site and I got hooked! I didn’t even know what a blog was until you! Now I have my own and I love it! Your an inspiration! I can’t wait to see how things go for you in 2012!

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous January 8, 2012

So exciting about the book! Can’t wait to be able to buy it!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers January 8, 2012

I’d love to take a photography course. I think you could even teach one though! ha. :) Good luck with the goals and aspirations.

Mike@ExerciseandNutritonTips January 8, 2012

I think it is a major success making a goal and sticking to it, or at least trying to, all year long. How many people can say that. Good luck on your cookbook.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 8, 2012

That’s so exciting that your cookbook is now becoming a reality! I know its a ways off, but I’m already getting excited for it!

I didn’t achieve my goal of running a 5k race either… 2011 was just too busy of a year! :P

Karen January 8, 2012

I’m so happy you’re well on your way to your publishing goal, Angela! You have such a distinctive voice and creative touch with recipes; your success in this area is so well deserved! All the best in 2012!

Jenny January 8, 2012

I honestly think you’re an amazing woman, Angela. You’ve came such a long way and you’re clear of what you want and you simply show the world how simple it is to live a healthy and happy lifestyle by following your heart. I like how you don’t stress out on workouts, diets etc- I mean, there are A LOT more interesting and alluring things to do other than running a marathon (of course, if it’s your passion then go ahead, if it’s just for the sake of burning calories or keeping up with the trend, then it’s pointless). Instead, you simply do what you love. Good job on sending positive messages to your readers :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 8, 2012

Thank you Jenny, I’m happy that comes through.

Robyn Cunningham January 8, 2012

May I recommend the best website for at- home- workouts?! http://www.gaiamtv.com!!!
I was going to a bootcamp, paying about $12 per class. It was sure hard, as I normally wouldn’t push myself that hard at home. However, also trying to save money, I kicked it to the curb and at the same time, found this gaiamtv ad on facebook. For only $10 a month you get access to a million different workout, yoga, documentary videos. I have been doing “The Firm” workout and they seriously kick my ass as much as the bootcamp I was attending. Such an amazing deal!!! I know this sounds like spam mail, lol, but it isn’t! I think you get a 10 or 15 day trial- so check it out!!

Robyn Cunningham January 8, 2012

Oh- another awesome site is http://www.yogaglo.com. I am a yoga instructor, so I can be very picky when it comes to yoga classes, but I have to say that I am such a follower of this site- so many great teachers. The meditations are great- completely guided and the guy’s voice isn’t creepy ;). The great thing is- you can pick the time, intensity, teacher, style, etc, so that you get exactly what you want. I definitely love the yoga on this site much better than the gaiam site. You should try any class with Felicia Tomasko. She does classes aimed at “cooling” or “balancing” the vata dosha – which in English is that anxiety, nervousness, stress that we feel. It would definitely help you! But, lol, don’t think that one class is going to cure-all, it takes patience and time!

Sorry these posts are so long, but I really had to share and I love these 2 sites! And for less than $30/m!!

Angela January 8, 2012

Thanks Robyn!

jamie January 9, 2012

seconding robyn – yogaglo is the best best best. you can get a free trial for a bit, and you’ll be amazed at how much you can personalize each of your classes – some days i only have 20 minutes and i want a beginner level vinyasa class…bam, there it is! the possibilities are seemingly endless!

Danielle January 8, 2012

Great job on 2011 Angela and good luck with 2012! You are my #1 go-to for healthy recipes and will definitely be buying that cookbook WHEN it’s published :)

Lynda @ Healthy Hoboken Girl January 8, 2012

Angela,

I’ve been reading your blog for some time now, and always get inspired!!

Last night I made your 5 ingredient vegan date bars. Let me just say I had one this morning with my tea and wanted to hug you!!! Thank you for sharing yourself and these beautiful recipes!!

That cookbook will happen, and I can’t wait to stand in line and get a signed copy!!! You’re amazing!!!

Be well,
Lynda

Angela January 8, 2012

Hey Lynda, so glad you enjoyed the date squares! They do make a yummy breakfast, esp with a cup of tea.

Katie January 8, 2012

What a year! I am so happy that you accomplished so many of your goals this past year but also thankful that you have candidly shared each blessing, trial, failure, and success with us over the past year. Here’s to a great 2012 for you Angela! Can’t wait to see what’s ahead :)

char @ char on a mission January 8, 2012

I need to finalize my (and my husband’s) goals for 2012. We wrote them on napkins December 31st, so they still don’t feel official…I think I know what I need to do today (I think one of the napkin’s is giving me the evil eye right now!)

Amelia January 8, 2012

Hey Angela,

Did you see Isa’s post on you?

Congrats… I made it for dinner last night and it was delicious. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 8, 2012

Yes I did…what an honour! I love the list she put together.

Lia January 8, 2012

Great goals though, whether you accomplished them or not. And I personally don’t think that is the point of the goals, really. I think it is to bring awareness to those areas and to help you move forward toward them, which is what you did. You learned and tried, and some moved more quickly than others. Having those points of focus is awesome though. One that struck me was that you wanted to focus on quality over quantity, and I definitely noticed that, in a very good way. I found myself more and more interested and looking forward to your blog every morning. The quality has improved, both in visuals, and set up, but also in content and presentation of ideas. Keep it up, and I’m so excited to snag your cookbook when it is all done!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 8, 2012

That’s a great point about goals! Thanks for your comments about the blog, what a nice thing to say.

Monica January 8, 2012

Hi, Angela. I just wanted to let you know how inspired I feel after reading your posts. Some examples: I lived vicariously through you during your trip to NY and CA (places on my bucket list). I just downloaded the Mint app for my IPad. Your Daily Workout Log and Thought Record Sheet help keep me self-aware of my own workout goals and anxieties.

What first brought me to your blog was your great recipes and photographs, but what brings me back daily (or as often as you post) is your day-to-day posts that inspire me to be MY best.

I love, love your blog!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 8, 2012

Thank you Monica! That brings a big smile to my face!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 8, 2012

For the record, we only JUST took our Christmas tree down yesterday! I don’t like doing it either but luckily I’ve got 2 roommates who can’t stand to see Christmas decorations in January! Regarding the meditation goal, I’m the EXACT same way! Totally didn’t happen for me. I feel like “do x every day” goals are some of the most difficult to commit to. All in all, I’d say you had a pretty spectacular 2011 Ange, especially with the cookbook proposal! Here’s to an even better 2012! :)

Keri January 8, 2012

I think meditation can be done in many ways. Some people meditate by being present while doing the dishes, chopping vegetables, running and focusing on the sound of their feet on the pavement and rhythm of breath. So maybe you did meditate 3 minutes a day–through being fully present in the kitchen or on runs? :)

Oh, and congrats on the cookbook! I can’t wait until it comes out. One of my 2011 resolutions was to go vegan–which I finally committed to in July. This blog has been a huge help!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 8, 2012

I love your thoughts on meditation and I completely agree.
Congrats on going vegan and thanks for your kind words!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh January 8, 2012

Wonderful recap and it’s no biggie if some `11 stuff has to creep over into `12! ;-)

And THANK YOU for not being the only person with their tree still up! I don’t think ours is going to come down until next weekend but only because you can’t wade through our basement right now. When you declutter is does get worse before it gets better, right?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 8, 2012

haha whew, glad we’re not the only ones!
Decluttering does make a huge mess at first for sure.

Page 1 of 3123»