Top 5 Salad Recipes of 2011

IMG 2320   Top 5 Salad Recipes of 2011 IMG 5704   Top 5 Salad Recipes of 2011 IMG 7645   Top 5 Salad Recipes of 2011 backontrack   Top 5 Salad Recipes of 2011 IMG 9501   Top 5 Salad Recipes of 2011

Last night, as I was eating my 4th holiday cookie in a row dunked in Holly Nog, I started to think about salad.

and Green Monsters.

Funny  how that works, eh?

and then my thoughts drifted back to more holiday cookies.

So I ate the last Chocolate Chip Cookie with toasted pecans (sorry Eric) and decided today I would revisit some of the most popular salad recipes of 2011 on Oh She Glows.

If a miracle happens, I might even find the motivation to get my butt to the grocery store and make one too.

Here are the 5 most popular salad recipes of 2011 according to you. Dig in!

5) Detox Salad

IMG 23201   Top 5 Salad Recipes of 2011

This vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, and soy-free salad is based off the Detox Salad at Whole Foods…while being easier on the wallet to boot. It makes me want to dance in my kitchen when I eat this! I love it drizzled with a touch of maple syrup and sprinkle of cinnamon just before serving.

4) Red Quinoa and Black Bean Salad

IMG 95011   Top 5 Salad Recipes of 2011

Extremely light, fresh, and packed with protein and healthy fats, this tangy salad will have you dreaming of Spring and Summer. Not that you weren’t already when you stepped your feet on the icy bathroom floor this morning.

3) Back on Track Salad

backontrack1   Top 5 Salad Recipes of 2011

Who says you have to wait until January 1st to get your eating back on track? Wheatberries give this salad a great chewy texture and can be found in bulk food stores such as Bulk Barn. If you don’t want to use wheatberries you can probably substitute brown rice or quinoa too.

2) Weekend Glow Kale Salad

IMG 76451   Top 5 Salad Recipes of 2011

I used to hate kale.

The only way I could bring myself to eat kale was if I put it in a Green Monster, and even then it was always quite bitter. Or I would bake kale chips and cook them so long that you couldn’t even tell it was kale.

Well, lucky for the 20 kale plants I planted in my garden this summer, it grew on me.

This kale salad is easily one of my favourite salads of all time. I learned with the right preparation techniques (such as marinating), kale could be just as good, if not better, than my previous go-to romaine lettuce. Not to mention, kale’s nutritional profile blows romaine out of the water. I always tell kale skeptics to try this salad because it will often change your mind…

IMG 7625   Top 5 Salad Recipes of 2011

Last but not least, I present to you the most popular salad recipe of 2011…

1) Lightened Up Protein Power Goddess Bowl

IMG 57041   Top 5 Salad Recipes of 2011

All women are Goddesses, so it only makes sense that this recipe was #1 in 2011. If the holidays have left you feeling a bit less than Goddess-like, energize yourself with this high-protein vegetable bowl. It fills me up for hours and even takes my mind off cookies occasionally too.

Other honourable mention:

Over The Rainbow Cabbage Salad with Tahini-Lemon Dressing

IMG 5551   Top 5 Salad Recipes of 2011

Well, I’m going to mow down on a salad today. And then I’ll have a holiday cookie or two for dessert. If there are any left, that is.

laura December 28, 2011

I need to try all of these asap!

Elisabetta December 28, 2011

I’ve just read some comments and everybody feel the need of eating greens, after all the indulging over Christmas… I usually love greens, veggies and healthy style food but now I’m wondering what happens to me: I’ve eaten lots and lots of sugar and desserts during holidays and I would go on without stopping!!! :-) It’s a drug! Too much sugar… Help me, I’ve to stay motivated in getting back to my healthy habits! Suggestions requested, please!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2011

I find a good workout and a green monster sets a great tone for the entire day. :) It’s not fool proof but I do find that it makes me crave less sugary things later on.

hrobinett December 28, 2011

I made both your Red Quinoa and Black Bean Salad and Weekend Glow Kale Salad this year and I must say I loved them both! I think next week I’m going to make the Detox Salad – perfect time for after the holidays :)

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles December 28, 2011

I usually start to fall off the salad band-wagon once the weather cools off in October…and I can’t say that I’ve really been craving them yet, but sometimes it just takes a push in the right direction! Thanks, Angela! To health & happiness in the new year! =)

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes December 28, 2011

I haven’t had a salad since summer. They aren’t my favorite so I usually just crave them when it’s warm.

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes December 28, 2011

All of these are amazing!! I loved the black bean and quinoa one :D

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh December 28, 2011

Love ‘em all!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin December 28, 2011

I love your Power Goddess Salad! But next time I make it, I’m going to need to find a tahini that doesn’t cause me to break out in hives! :P

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama December 28, 2011

Isn’t it amazing how the body will crave vegetables after eating nothing but sweets? All the salads look delicious and will be made very soon!

christine @ Oatmeal in my bowl December 28, 2011

going to check out that delicious looking quinoa salad. devine!
and after all this holiday food, I am definitely in need of some green.

Cady December 28, 2011

Your protein goddess bowl has become a favorite. I made it this week to compensate for all of the extra holiday treats.
Many thanks to you – I have been trying to eat healthier this year and your blog has really helped me.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2011

Hi Cady, I’m so happy to hear that. Happy New Year to you!

Alex @ Raw Recovery December 28, 2011

I’d love it if you did a fruit salad recipe that would be good for winter! I find I don’t consume as many fresh fruits in the winter, which isn’t ideal.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2011

Great idea :)

Rusty - Fitness Black Book December 28, 2011

Angela…great looking recipes. This type of thing isn’t my specialty, but I can make some mean nachos!

My girlfriend would love the Goddess Salad (actually it looks good to me as well). We take turn cooking…more often than not, I make some sort of Mexican food or stir fry. This would be a great change of pace.

-Rusty

blossjoss December 28, 2011

Salad has never looked so scrumptious!

Katie December 28, 2011

Just made the detox salad!! It really is delicious! I don’t think I’ll put 1/2t of salt in next time…I’m finding it a little bit too much!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2011

Thanks for the feedback! Maybe I will change the ingredients to “salt to taste” or “1/4-1/2 tsp to taste”?

Lee December 28, 2011

I actually have it on my meal plan this week to make the red quinoa and black bean salad.

Maggie December 28, 2011

I wanna try one by one!!! And I will!
Great job with these ;)

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva December 28, 2011

Thanks Angela! This post could not have come at a better time!!! It’s definitely salad season in Sydney as the weather begins to heat up. Detox salad is definitely necessary after all the holiday festivities. The the lightened up protein power goddess bowl is on my ‘to make for lunch list this week’. Can’t wait :)

Anastasia@healthymamainfo.com December 29, 2011

All of them are perfect main meal salads, and all of them look very yummy! Red Quinoa and Black Bean one looks especially tempting!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com December 29, 2011

I love colorful salads — it’s so inviting and encourages me to eat more! Which is good, right? :D

Happy New Year, sweetie :)

Lexi @ A Spoonful of Sunshine December 29, 2011

Hahah I had the same sort of revelation the other day too!

After a weekend of eating cookies, cakes, and other rich, holiday food nonstop, I was CRAVING vegetables. Yesterday, I made a great wrap (on an Ezekiel tortilla, which you got me hooked on!) that was chock full of veggies, and I had so much energy throughout the day!

Amazing what good food will do :)

Lisa (bakebikeblog) December 29, 2011

YOu read my mind! We have just finished a big salad for dinner tonight!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers December 29, 2011

I love all the salads. Thank you Angela for showing different foods and different ways to eating! I now love wheatberries and quinoa.

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit December 29, 2011

I have tried each and every one of these salads and my all time favorite was the back on track. My gosh, it’s so deliciously good! Thanks for posting these, Angela :)

Heather December 29, 2011

They all look so good!! I am going to be trying each one very soon!! But…. I cannot stand Kale!! : ( What could be substituted in your opinion??

Sarah C December 29, 2011

I love making your detox salad, except I actually use the broccoli and cauliflower stems and save the florets for different recipes! It is a great way to use the stalks and it’s super crunchy. I chop them up small. Thanks for sharing, this is definitely one of my go to salads :-)

Richie December 29, 2011

I love your salads, they are also my favorite !
Happy holidays !!

Ever December 29, 2011

Your photo with all your chopped veggies is delish :-)

Kathie December 29, 2011

My friend made the Kale Salad for a dinner party last night. It tastes wonderful, and the tahini lemon dressing is fantastic. Had to have the recipe! Thanks!

Pat December 29, 2011

I read the ingredients for your kale salad and it looks and sounds delish but…how did you manage 20 kale plants in your garden without them going to seed or to waste? Even with just the 2 of you at home, did you not find yourself buried in kale? I’d love to plant a lot of veggies this coming year, but I’m concerned that I’m going to have them all ripen at once, and have an overabundance that would go to waste.

Carissa December 29, 2011

The protein power goddess bowl is a definite winner in our house. My husband asks for it all the time!

Andrea December 29, 2011

So delicious! I’ve been reading your blog for a while now and the salads have compelled me to comment! :-) Thanks for this and all of your recipes. Happy New Year!

Moni'sMeals December 29, 2011

these=GREATNESS! Thanks Ang. :)

Jes Suazo December 29, 2011

These are going to be great lunch ideas for work! One of my goals over the past month & for the new year is to continue bringing my lunch as much as possible. It’s so easy to spend too much money on lunches over a month.

Thanks for the recipe roundup!

melissa w December 30, 2011

where, oh where, can i find speltberries?? i’m in toronto, by the way.
i made the Goddess Bowl yesterday with brown rice instead of the speltberries, and it was so amazing, but i have a feeling it can be even better because speltberries are so tasty : )

cynthia December 30, 2011

I’m surprised my favorite didn’t make the list! I’ve been trying to search for it recentlty with little success. It was a huuuge salad you recreated from a vegan restaurant you visited this year, if I’m not mistaken. Involved avacados, bean sprouts, carrots, possibly cabbage, possibly with tahini dressing— was a very colorful salad and kept me so full. Can you help me find this salad in your archives, pretty please :)

'Dee @ 'Dee's Garret December 31, 2011

This was a timely post! I was getting myself back into “healthy meal planning” mode and working on next week’s meal plan (after the past two weeks of ridiculous indulgence :-) ). Of course I had to hit up your blog for some great veggie dishes…and now I am dying to try the protein power goddess bowl AND the kale salad! I remember seeing them when you first posted but somehow never got around to making them. Now they are on my list!

Happy New Year, Angela. I hope that 2012 is a great year for you and your family!

Jenny December 31, 2011

I just tried your weekend glow salad. I never would have thought I would enjoy raw kale. who knew? I’m glad I tried the lemon-tahini dressing before I added it the salad, I wasn’t a fan. Instead, I tossed the salad with olive oil, lemon juice and a little salt. It was very good. Thanks for inspiring me to try kale.

Rachel R. January 1, 2012

The kale and goddess salads are two of my favorite lunch staples. That lemon-tahini dressing? The stuff of dreams!

Layla Monet January 2, 2012

BBQ chilli looks great. Yummy!

Page 2 of 3«123»