Broccoli & Cheeze Soup

IMG 5660   Broccoli & Cheeze Soup

I have scary memories of all of those “Cream of” canned soups.

Anyone?

For some reason my dad used to love those canned soups. Depending on the day it could’ve been Cream of Mushroom, Cream of Broccoli, or Cream of Chicken. He’s probably eating one right now, actually.  I’d watch in fear as he cranked open the can, plunked the soup into a pot (which of course, came out in a single can-shape), and added a can of milk to break apart the “soup jello”.

I was not down with that, even at the wise age of 8.

I always preferred to eat soup that didn’t come out in a single lump. Clear broths, like vegetable soup, were more my style. I also loved canned tomato soup like nobody’s business, especially with a million saltines crumbled over top. The saltines would get all mushy and saturated with tomato soup, allowing me to crush even more on top. Paired with a grilled cheese, that was just about my favourite meal as a kid.

Even though I never did take a liking to those creamed canned soups, I will admit a creamy soup sounds so comforting this time of the year. I figured I could probably come up with something a lot healthier and less processed in my own kitchen.

And with any luck…something that didn’t look like grey Jell-O.

IMG 5627   Broccoli & Cheeze Soup

After the weekend’s crazy holiday hijinks, I was craving comfort food, but I also wanted something that snuck in a bit of green. My recipe brainstorming session was pretty short because I was working at 30% functionality.

Idea #1: Roast broccoli and pour my 5-min cheeze sauce all over it. That sounded wonderful, but not quite a meal.

Idea #2: Make Cream of Broccoli soup made with cashew cream instead of dairy cream. I wasn’t really feeling the cashew cream though, so I tossed that idea for now.

Idea #3: I combined my broccoli and cheeze idea with my soup idea to make creamy Broccoli and Cheeze soup.

Idea #4: Toast bread and slather Earth Balance and garlic powder all over it. Forget the greens.

If it hadn’t been for this 12 days of healthy dinner challenge, I would’ve gone for idea #4! But my goal was a meal, so I compromised and combined ideas #3 and #4…

Jackpot.

IMG 5653   Broccoli & Cheeze Soup

IMG 5667   Broccoli & Cheeze Soup

This soup was quite a lot of work, due to all the chopping. If you want to save time you can use a food processor or electric chopper to speed things up. Or maybe bribe your loved one to do it for you?

IMG 5624   Broccoli & Cheeze Soup IMG 5629   Broccoli & Cheeze SoupIMG 5631   Broccoli & Cheeze Soup IMG 5632   Broccoli & Cheeze Soup

If you figure out how to do that, please let me know.

While the soup is simmering, make the cheeze sauce in a medium-sized saucepan. This sauce comes together in under 10 mins, so it’s the perfect busy work while you are waiting for the soup.

IMG 5622   Broccoli & Cheeze Soup

Set aside the cheeze sauce, and carefully transfer the soup in a blender in two batches (or just use an immersion blender!) and blend until almost smooth. I left it a bit chunky, but you can blend as much or as little as you wish.

IMG 5636   Broccoli & Cheeze Soup

Now stir in the cheeze sauce, reserving 1/3 cup for later:

IMG 5637   Broccoli & Cheeze Soup

Now we’re talking.

IMG 5638   Broccoli & Cheeze Soup

I also stirred in about 1/4 cup of Daiya cheese, but that is optional. Add the rest of the spices and seasonings to taste.

IMG 5644   Broccoli & Cheeze Soup

Serve with croutons, remaining cheeze sauce drizzled over top, a sprinkle of Daiya cheeze, and smoked paprika.

IMG 5666   Broccoli & Cheeze Soup

It’s creamy, filling, and healthy while satisfying a major craving for comfort food. Sadly, it didn’t last long…

IMG 5675   Broccoli & Cheeze Soup

Untitled 42   Broccoli & Cheeze Soup

Previous 12 Days of Healthy Dinner Recipe posts:

1) Naughty & Nice Vegan Enchilada Casserole

2) Over The Rainbow Cabbage Salad with Tahini-Lemon Dressing

Recipage News

Many of you may know that I use (and love) Recipage, the recipe organizational system for bloggers. I wanted to pass along the exciting news that Recipage is now FREE for all users!

Want to see it in action? Check out my recipage and see how easy it is to search for ingredients, courses, and specific recipes.

Lacey December 23, 2011

I made this last night…my non-vegan hubby was licking the “cheese” pan clean and I had to fight him off the leftovers. Paired with my mom’s homemade vegan bread, this was exactly what the doctor ordered to chase away the winter blues! :-)

Lesley December 23, 2011

Just made this for dinner tonight and it was deeeeelicious! My husband says “this is the kind of thing I could just keep eating and eating til to got sick!”… Needless to say we both devoured it! Thanks Angela for the healthy and yummy recipes! So glad I found your blog! Incredibly helpful for a newly converted vegan! Have a Merry Christmas! ~Lesley

Leslie Paquette December 23, 2011

I’ve been having great success with all of your recipes lately, especially with my husband. This was another definite winner, so tasty!! We are both very excited for the leftovers. Hope your Grandfather continues to improve :) Merry Christmas!!

char @ char on a mission December 26, 2011

I’m trying this as SOON as I get back in my kitchen after vacation!!!

Anastasia@healthymamainfo.com December 28, 2011

Thank you for a great vegan version of my favorite soup?

Kele December 28, 2011

I saw this recipe this morning and couldn’t wait to try it out! So I stopped at the grocery store for broccoli on the way home from work and got to it. Halfway through chopping, I realized that I only had about a quarter of a cup of nooch! Not to be dissuaded, I skipped the bit that goes in with the veggies and put the end of the jar into the sauce. Then I added a big handful of cheddar daiya into the sauce and whisked so it melted in. I skipped the cayenne because I don’t care for it, and used a little fresh basil instead of the parsley because I had it on hand. The lemon juice is a brilliant addition – it really brightens up all the flavors. Totally delicious and comforting.

Courtney Orrange December 29, 2011

This soup was great! Great job! My 7 year old and 6 year ate it up. And, now I can make broccoli cheddar soup without velveta!! Thanks again!

Kevin (Closet Cooking) January 1, 2012

That is some really nice looking broccoli soup!

TeenyLittleSuperChef January 2, 2012

Hi Angela! This soup sounds so freaking amazing and I can’t wait to make it tonight for me and the Hubs. I don’t have a stand-up blender or even an immesion blender (weird, I know) so I was wondering if you think using a hand-held mixer would work too in order to blend the soup and cheeze sauce?
Thanks again for the recipe! I heart your cheeze sauce (hmm, sorry if that sounded a little creepy :)

Hannah Lawrie January 4, 2012

I used a handheld blender and it worked perfectly….I just stuck it right in the pot so I didn’t have as many dishes to clean.

Hannah Lawrie January 4, 2012

Made this the other night and it really is a lovely soup. It’s perfect comfort food on a wintery night…don’t forget homemade, crispy croutons…mmmm….can’t wait to make it again!

Stefanie Hechenblaikner January 13, 2012

Looks incredilbe yummy. Will try it for dinner tomorrow. I used to make this soup with cream cheese back in my vegetarian days and really missed it since going vegan.

Thanks, Angie, for bringing this delightful soup back into my life LOL !

Stefanie January 17, 2012

Hello Angela,
thanks for sharing this great recipe. I made it yesterday evening – after a few days of rather poor food choices (I was just too lazy to cook) I felt it was about time to get back on track. The soup turned out very tasty – it was the first time I ever made a vegan cheese sauce YUM.
I left out the celery, though, because I don’t like the taste and I only had sweet potatoes on hand, so I used them.
OMG, this was a great dinner and I have so much soup left for tonight, too LOL! Can’t wait to get home…

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 17, 2012

Hey Stefanie, Im happy to hear you enjoyed the soup!

Melanie February 6, 2012

I made this for dinner tonight and my husband and I loved it! It was absolutely delicious. Creamy, filling, rich and healthy. So tasty! Thanks for the recipe and gorgeous pics!

Tracy February 7, 2012

I finally made this soup and it is great! I love the cheeze sauce with the broccoli and other veggies (though my fiance said he tasted something he wasn’t sure about….. not that it stopped him from eating it two days in a row. I told him it was the mustard). Yum!

Hannah E July 17, 2012

Does anyone know if this would freeze or can well? I have loads of Broc that needs to be preserved and I love the idea of doing a soup to have in the fall or winter.

Amy August 14, 2012

Does this soup freeze well?

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 15, 2012

Hi Amy, I’m sorry I’m not sure as I haven’t tried freezing it before. If you do try it please let me know. Someone might have mentioned it in the comments too, so it might be worth scanning to see if anyone reported freezing it. goodluck!

Leslie October 5, 2012

We’ve frozen it before, and it turned out well when thawed and reheated. It’s a favourite in our home.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 5, 2012

Glad to hear that Leslie!

Radhika Sarohia August 30, 2012

“I’d watch in fear as he cranked open the can, plunked the soup into a pot (which of course, came out in a single can-shape), and added a can of milk to break apart the “soup jello”.

I was not down with that, even at the wise age of 8.”

^ Ahaha!:p
Not a fan of canned cream-of soups here either
I’ll be making this broccoli cheeze dish soon, (once the heat waves in LA break)
Looks great

Radhika SArohia September 1, 2012

Got all ready to make this but I don’t have the Herbamare item/ingredient, will have to check if the Whole Foods near me has it

Kathi October 14, 2012

Can you freeze this?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 15, 2012

Most soups tend to freeze quite well, so I would guess this would be fine too!

Jen November 6, 2012

LOVE IT!!! I have had a pregnant craving for broccoli and potato soup for days and this hit the spot:) My 2 year old even loves it! I will be making a big batch to freeze for after our newest addition arrives in a few weeks. Great recipe, super easy!

Amanda Joy November 17, 2012

I found this recipe an hour ago and HAD to make it immediately. I just finished my first bowl…WOWZA! I will be sneaking this into my Thanksgiving casserole for sure! I added a heaping tablespoon of Vegenaise to cream it up a bit more…I do this to all of my creamy dishes and it works wonders.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 18, 2012

mmm veganaise would be amazing!

renee November 23, 2012

Hi! So I tried the broccoli and cheese soup but it turned out bland. I did use frozen broccoli so maybe that was why. Has anyone else tried this recipe with success?
All the other recipes I have tried were amazing!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 25, 2012

Hi Renee, Do you think the frozen broccoli may have diluted the soup? Maybe it would benefit from extra seasonings or a bit of vinegar to finish in this case. Goodluck if you try it again!

Korrie December 28, 2012

This was an absolutely delicious soup! Very hearty and filling. I made a savory cornbread studded with roasted corn to go along with it. It was actually pretty easy and quick to come together – since I knew I was going to blend it, I chopped everything fairly large. Thanks for a great recipe!

Janna Saavedra December 31, 2012

I just made this soup and it’s a keeper for sure! My husband, who is almost anti-vegan, liked it too! Thank you.

natalie January 10, 2013

I’m new to your site which I love by the way. I made this soup tonight and it was out of this world. My husbands first words were you have to make this again. I made it without the potatoes because I didn’t have any, and it was still really creamy and delicious. Thanks for the recipe.

Sonja January 14, 2013

Hi Angela, just made this soup and it is absolutely fantastic!!! I’m finding that I spend more time on your blog now than any other, and I’ve made well over 10 recipes now that all have been exceptionally delicious!

Really, I don’t know how you do it but your recipes are guaranteed hits not just with me but with my husband, who each time I have made something from your site tastes it, shakes his head and says “Is this REALLY vegan?” It makes me laugh each time, and this soup was a big hit with him as well as with me! Thanks again!!

Jen B. March 2, 2013

This soup is sublime! It’s creamy, a little spicy, really delicious! Thanks so much for sharing your recipe! My husband loved it!

Steph March 24, 2013

I know this recipe is old, but I’m a new vegan and I just stumbled upon your site a few weeks ago. I am eating this soup right now, and I just couldn’t help but leave a comment over how delicious it is! I love it. Also, I saved some of the cheese sauce to make a spaghetti squash “mac & cheese” tomorrow! My taste buds are so glad you do what you do!

Amanda September 17, 2013

EVERYONE loved it. made it for the whole non vegan family. 2 -7 year olds and non vegan hubbie..!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 17, 2013

So glad to hear this Amanda!

Vera September 30, 2013

I made this soup and the 4 layer avocado sandwich for supper and even my omnivore hubby LOVED them both! Woot!

These are dishes I’ll be making over and over again.

Thanks so much

Katherine September 30, 2013

Hi!

Just came across this soup and it looks delicious! I want to make this soup for dinner tomorrow but I was wondering what your take is on me substituting the potatoes with sweet potatoes? Do you think it would work?

Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 2, 2013

Thats a good question – to be honest I’m not sure! It’s worth a shot probably. Or you could sub half the potatoes for parsnips too?

FabulousJen October 1, 2013

I made a modified version of this last night and it was delicious! I’m so excited I made enough for leftovers today for lunch! Thank you for bringing broccoli cheese soup back into my life, it’s something I thought I’d never have again after giving up dairy and meat!

Kailee Larson October 8, 2013

I just made this soup for my mom and we couldn’t get enough of it!! I can’t tell you how much I truly love your blog! I am never disappointed when I use your recipes (and I use your recipes almost exclusively)! Thanks so much for your hard work!! :)

Donna@wvvegan October 16, 2013

Fantastic Soup! This is the best broccoli cheeze soup I’ve eaten. I’ve been struggling with turning vegan and haven’t been able to get the “right” taste yet. This soup did the trick. It was one of the first times I didn’t miss dairy. I hope this is in your upcoming cookbook.

lisa B December 15, 2013

Just made this soup on this cold snowy day. I just love it. It is a labor of love but SO worth it. I made a double batch of your double batch of cheese sauce so that I could make a good Mac & chs later. I also didn’t have any white potatoes so I subbed sweet potatoes and it was still just as great. My husband came in from clearing snow to a nice hot bowl and said, Did YOU really make this? Oh, nice…Thanks, hon. So thanks again for a great recipe that my husband thinks I couldn’t possibly have made. Haha

Bibi December 25, 2013

Made this tonight. It was a big hit! Some liked it with the smoked paprika, but most preferred it without.

Thanks for another great recipe!

Louann December 30, 2013

Made the recipe but substituted canned chickpeas for potatoes and it turned out great! Was initially dubious regarding the nutritional yeast but am a convert now! Love this site and colorful photos!

Joanna January 12, 2014

Yum, super Delish. I used sweet potatoes, it’s all I had on hand. Satisfied my craving. Thanks for an easy yum recipe.

Robin January 17, 2014

This is one of my favorite soups I’ve discovered since changing my diet! My husband and I love it! I did add a little extra dijon mustard to the soup though! My husband loves this soup too!

janice January 27, 2014

Just made this soup (2+ years after everyone else) and it’s divine. I don’t know if my nonvegan boyfriend will agree … he was excited to hear I was making Broccoli Cheese soup and triple-checked that it was going to be “real” … but if he doesn’t like it, alas, more for me.

We didn’t have raw potatoes but did have leftover roasted yukon golds, so I chopped and added those. I also used the broccoli stems after trimming the funny-looking bits off. The food processor makes this very easy to prep. I pureed about 3/4 of it and left the rest chunky, as I like texture. It’s very, very thick. I like my soup a little “spicier” so added more cayenne. I am this minute finishing my first bowl and resisting having a second!

Now I HOPE we get more broccoli in our weekly farm box, rather than dread it! Thanks, Angela.

Page 3 of 4«1234»