The 12 Days of Healthy Dinner Recipes

Untitled 4   The 12 Days of Healthy Dinner Recipes

For many of us, this is the time of year when finding a balance with food can be a challenge.

Sweets, desserts, drinks, and treats are plastered all over cooking shows, magazines, blogs, and grocery stores everywhere we turn. I think I even have a pair of holiday socks with cookies on them! It’s easy to start thinking that chocolate fudge makes the perfect daily breakfast staple or washing vitamins down with spiked cider is totally normal.

Well, some days I guess. I won’t judge.

But let’s be real for a minute. Sugar overload doesn’t make most of us feel our best on a day to day basis. I love sweets and indulgences as much as the next person (ok maybe more…), but I’ll be the first to admit that too much of it can leave me feeling tired, unmotivated, and blah. Over the years, I’ve realized that food and winter blahs can be closely related. When I eat crappy, I tend to feel crappy too.

Einstein said that insanity is “doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” and I kind of live my life by that theory. When something doesn’t work, change it up! So that’s exactly what I’m going to do.

[Did I really just quote Einstein in a food post?]

Over the next few weeks, I’ll be featuring 12 days of healthy meal recipes** that will hopefully inspire us to stay on a healthy path over the holiday season. That’s not to say that I won’t be indulging or posting a couple holiday sweet recipes (it is me you’re talking to!), but I also want to make more of an effort to fit in healthy meals whenever possible. Eric and I are both busy with work right now (he just started a new position and I’m wrapping up my cookbook proposal), so we need these healthy meals to stay at the top of our game. Plus, more healthy food means more room for Secret-Ingredient Chocolate Pudding, of course.

IMG 3899   The 12 Days of Healthy Dinner Recipes

Alex December 12, 2011

Love this idea! Thank you :)

Shannon December 12, 2011

I just want to say I love your blog, I’ve been reading it for a while now and it’s just fantastic!!

This is my cats first Christmas and I’m so excited to see what she does to the Christmas tree!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 12, 2011

hah goodluck!

Dalai Lina December 12, 2011

I can’t wait to see what you come up with…you are so creative! I’ve made the Roasted Tomato Soup with Coconut milk in the top photo and it is now one of my favorites!

Willow December 12, 2011

Great idea for the holidays! Can’t wait to see what you come up with. :)

Kate (Bread & Chocolate) December 12, 2011

Great idea! This year my family asked me to help them make our holiday menu a bit more healthy. I’ll be looking through your recipes for ideas – I definitely see quinoa, squash, and kale making an appearance!

Heather @ Get Haalthy with Heather December 12, 2011

This is going to be great! I can’t wait to see what 12 you share :)

Cat @Breakfast to Bed December 12, 2011

Ok, I love pudding. REALLY love pudding. So that’s a win. You know what’s crazy? I like sweets, but not as much as I love baking and sharing them. That’s where my joy with them lies. I’m such a weirdy, I know. I just love sharing them.

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers December 12, 2011

Yesss! Can’t wait! I’m actually having your wild rice n’ dried fruit pilaf tonight for dinner with broccoli. At least I had enough sense to cook it yesterday so that it’s nearly ready when I get home from work today.

Hilliary @Happily Ever Healthy December 12, 2011

These are wonderful ideas for the holiday! Love it!

Audrey December 12, 2011

Great idea! Definitely looking forward to this feature.

Michelle December 12, 2011

Your blog keeps me from getting anything done! I’m making your Holiday Soup for the Soul for a dinner get-together to prove that veg food can taste good as well as be healthy.

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous December 12, 2011

What a great idea! Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

Lindsey @ Why Just Eat December 12, 2011

I am SO looking forward to this!! Today is my “weigh in” day and let’s just say it wasn’t good. LOL.

Coco December 12, 2011

I’ve been thinking exactly the same thing lately — what we need this time of year are healthy recipes to keep feeling good throughout the holidays. Looking forward to seeing what you’ve come up with, Angela!

Ashley December 12, 2011

I love this idea! I am such a sweets person, so it’ll be nice to have some good recipes to go to!

Zarah December 12, 2011

Sounds fantabulous! Looking forward to your posts. Then again… I ALWAYS do! :D

Giulia @ Tutupa's Lab December 12, 2011

can’t wait for all your recipes!

erin December 12, 2011

Thanks for doing this – can’t wait to follow along! We are making an effort this year to enjoy the season in a healthy way.
We have two new kittens in our family this year… so far the tree is still standing, but there are always one or two ornaments on the floor when we come home from work. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 12, 2011

Congrats on your new kittens! They are just about the cutest things on earth.

katie@ KatieDid December 12, 2011

Can’t wait to see what you put together. I have a month off from school with tons of time to cook up healthy dinners, so I’ll be looking forward to some inspiration!

Angie B December 12, 2011

fabulous idea! love all the info you provide (and yummy food ideas!)… quick question, do you have a “staples grocery list” on your blog at all, things that you tend to always have on hand?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 12, 2011

This is probably the closest thing I have to a list:

(see bottom of that post)

Angie B December 12, 2011

thanks so much for taking the time to respond. you have a wonderful site & offer such great info… I love checking back regularly!

Erin @ Creative Styletopia December 12, 2011

Such a great idea! I tend to fall prey to holiday sweets too often, this is a great way to stay on track!

Laura @ My Pink Thumb December 12, 2011

What a great idea!
… we’ve already found the tree laying on its side.. grrr darn cats!! :P

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed December 12, 2011

I just wrote a post about this – if i eat like crap, I will feel like crap! It’s SO true.

PS – I like the Einstein quote haha.

Stephanie @ Snacking on Sunshine December 12, 2011

This is a great idea. I feel exactly the same way!! Can’t wait to try your delish healthy dishes as you post ‘em.
ps: what is it with Christmas trees that make cats answer the call of the wild??

Julia December 12, 2011

I’m excited to see what you come up with.
I’m also making an effort to balance out the holiday food with healthy food and exercise – the same procedure as every year :)

Liz @ Tip Top Shape December 12, 2011

Love this! Your recipes are always fantastic :D

Sarah with Veggie Kids December 12, 2011

Love the idea about 12 Healthy Dinner meals. I’ve been completely overloaded with sugar from all the holiday baking posts I’ve been writing and had to put myself on a raw vegan diet for the past 2 days to get back to my zen place! Of course, now I’m ready for more naughty treats!
The pudding looks too good!!

Rhona December 12, 2011

I love it! This is a refreshing stance on the holidays because all over the blogosphere, people are discussing how okay it is to indulge right now (and of course it is) but to see you making an effort to stay on a healthy path this season and sharing is inspiring. Thank you.

Cait's Plate December 12, 2011

Hahahaha – the addendum of “**subject to change, based on how many casseroles I burn, how many gifts I have left to wrap, and how many cats I have to remove from the Christmas tree.” at the end made me crack up!! Looking forward to this!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes December 12, 2011

Hahaha cats in the Christmas tree?! This is a great idea :D

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning December 12, 2011

Awesome- can’t wait to see your recipes as the days go by! I haven’t made one of yours yet that hasn’t been anything but stellar- and anything that I make that doesn’t rely on meat is always a bonus! :)
And I agree with Rhona above- it is very refreshing to find normal, healthy recipes amidst all of the sugar and butter.

Addy December 12, 2011

Yay! Thank you! The sugar overload started this weekend and I am already feeling yuck (and am out of ideas for healthy dinners!). I’m looking forward to the ideas! PS- I made your eggnog biscotti the other day, and it was AMAZING. I am in love with a cookie.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 12, 2011

Glad to hear that you enjoyed it!

Moni'sMeals December 12, 2011

I think we all appreciate this Ang. Thank YOU! It will come in handy this I know. It is all about balance and this is a good time of year to honor that. :)

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon December 12, 2011

I’m excited–I always love your recipes!!

Jenna December 12, 2011

Love your blog. You’ve inspired me to become vegan and I absolutely love the way I feel! Thanks for everyhing!

Liz December 12, 2011

Yay! Love this, I was just thinking last night that I need to be focusing on eating good, healthy and nourishing food. I made your butternut squash burritos and they were so delicious! Thank you so much for all of your amazing recipes!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga December 12, 2011

I didnt know that was Einstien who said that about insanity. I thought it was Dr. Phil. (kidding!)

But seriously, I agree!

And love the disclaimer re the burnt meals, cats climbing the tree, and gifts to wrap (please keep on using that same roll of paper you lovingly mentioned the last post!)

Love the idea and your sense of humor :)

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh December 12, 2011

It will be such a welcome change from the decadence going on around here from time to time. I think I might be getting a food processor soon so I can’t wait to try the pudding!!

caroline m. December 12, 2011

i’ve been working on balance, too. i eat a filling, fresh kale salad for lunch every day to make sure i at least get SOME greens and vitamins in :)

Anna @ The Guiltless Life December 12, 2011

Yay – this is exactly what is needed this time of year! My creativity gets sapped from other things and I have no energy to think of better dinners or new things to try out. Thanks Ang!

Page 1 of 3123»