From East To West

IMG 0831 thumb   From East To West

After rolling ourselves (and luggage) to the airport, we slowed down our rushed pace of the city and headed to the West Coast for a couple nights. Eric and I dream of living on the West Coast some day…it’s on our bucket list. We’ve been planning a visit to So Cal for about a year now, so when we saw a seat sale we figured it was a sign. The best part was that we booked it all with air miles, including our rental car. That was a sweet bonus! Neither of us have ever been to California before so we were pumped.

We booked our hotel once again with Hotwire and got a great deal on the US Grant Hotel.

unnamed thumb   From East To West

IMG 0719 thumb   From East To West

We were really happy with the hotel. Excellent, friendly service and very clean.

IMG 0723 thumb   From East To West

IMG 0724 thumb   From East To West

The only thing we didn’t like about the hotel was the noise and single pane windows. It’s located right in the heart of the Gaslamp district (bars and a wild nightlife) and the noise carried through the windows a lot. We put the fan on high before bed and were able to sleep like babies, so it wasn’t a huge issue.

Maybe we’re just getting old.

We picked up some food for snacks and breakfasts to save some money since NYC sucked us dry.

IMG 0729 thumb   From East To West

We had a fridge brought up to our room (love that the hotel offered them!). Nut butter, hummus, brown rice cakes, chips, milk, etc. Eric got cereal for breakfast and I picked up some bulk oats, chia seeds, and almond milk and made vegan overnight oats. It worked out perfectly and was cheaper than eating out for breakfast. One thing I noticed right away about California is that the food is much cheaper than at home.

Reunited and it feels so good.

IMG 0737 thumb   From East To West

….all hail……BARNEY BUTTER!!!

I hadn’t made VOO in such a long time. I was on a Green Monster kick for the past few months and I forgot how much I LOVE vegan overnight oats. You don’t even need to measure if you don’t want to. I just eyeballed it and it turned out great both times! On the side, I had a package of protein powder mixed with almond milk in a water bottle. Not the best tasting thing in the world (or even easy to get that damn powder into the bottle!), but it worked well to keep my hunger at bay all morning long.

IMG 0731 thumb   From East To West

My take on eating while traveling is pretty simple. I try to eat a balance of wholesome foods for my main meals (and try new dishes) and then I indulge in some sweet treats and special goodies that I normally wouldn’t be able to try back at home. It all balances out, especially when walking for 6 hours or more each day! And if it doesn’t balance out, no big deal. Life is short.

Morning teas…I had green and Eric black tea.

IMG 0741 thumb   From East To West

The weather was picture perfect! Sunshine and an expected high of about 18C. We really lucked out with the weather on this trip…it was almost as if we were travelling in early Fall, not December!

Anyone in the San Diego area want to take us in for a while? Maybe 4 years? I’ll be your live in chef.

IMG 0746 thumb   From East To West

We explored Coronado Island to start.

IMG 0750 thumb   From East To West IMG 0752 thumb   From East To West

It was just horrible….dirty….don’t go here.

heh…just kidding.

We saw the famous Hotel Del Coronado right on the beach! I checked the prices for this place and whoa baby, it’s expensive!

IMG 0755 thumb   From East To West

IMG 0754 thumb   From East To West

Along the bay, with nice views of the SD cityscape.

IMG 0764 thumb   From East To West

IMG 0766 thumb   From East To West

Then we headed to La Jolla which is only about a 10 minute drive from the downtown core. I’ve always heard that the West Coast is very laid back and it really is! How could you not be if you lived here?

IMG 0786 thumb   From East To West

IMG 0780 thumb   From East To West

La Jolla took our breath away. My Gosh!!!

IMG 0813 thumb   From East To West

IMG 5104 thumb   From East To West

IMG 5051 thumb   From East To West

We went to the Cove and saw the Harbour Seals! Oh my gosh, I just fell in love with them!!!

IMG 5055 thumb   From East To West

Seriously, what magnificent creatures. We watched them for at least 30-45 mins. It’s funny when they get in spats with one another!

heh this guy below was so cute stretched out on his back!! If that’s not a head to toe stretch, I don’t know what is.

IMG 0804 thumb   From East To West

Every time the water came up and splashed them they would raise their head and look annoyed.

IMG 5066 thumb   From East To West

When Eric and I started to make voices for them, we knew it was time to go. ;)

IMG 0816 thumb   From East To West

After exploring for the morning and early afternoon, we had a late lunch in downtown La Jolla at a cafe called Lean & Green. It is extremely vegan friendly with all kinds of options marked vegan on their menu! Definitely check it out if you are in the area. The owner is really nice too!

IMG 0869 thumb   From East To West

It was also picked as La Jolla’s best veg restaurant recently.

IMG 0857 thumb   From East To West

You can click on the menus below to enlarge.

IMG 0858 thumb1   From East To West IMG 0859 thumb1   From East To West

My customized wrap was great! I stuffed it full with all kinds of veggies (carrot, roasted red pepper, avocado, cukes, tomatoes, red onion, artichokes, shrooms, etc) and hummus.

IMG 0863 thumb   From East To West

I had their veggie juice to go with it. Fresh veggie juice is such a treat when travelling. I’m  too lazy to make it at home these days and I don’t find it very cost effective in the off season. Smoothies are my drink of choice when at home, but fresh juice all the way on vacation.

IMG 0864 thumb   From East To West

See you for Part 2!

IMG 5112 thumb   From East To West

PS- Today is the last day to enter the One Lucky Duck Gift Pack giveaway!

Stephenie Zamora December 5, 2011

Those seals are absolutely precious! Glad you’re enjoying your time, I loved the city when I was there for a mastermind retreat. xo

katie@ KatieDid December 5, 2011

I’ve been to San Diego twice in the past- LOVE it there. The weather seems flawless which always makes for an amazing trip. Lots of traveling for you two, you must be exhausted!

sarah @ climbinvegan December 5, 2011

It’s almost comical to me that you were in NYC when I was in California (for thanksgiving), and now that I’m back living in NYC you’re from my home-state! You REALLY should go check out nor-cal….. Especially the vegan eateries of Berkeley. Have fun though- enjoy the cali sun!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2011

heh :) Maybe someday we’ll be in the same spot at the same time!

Amanda @ AmandaRunsNY December 5, 2011

So pretty!

Kath December 5, 2011

I loooove California too! I fell in love with La Jolla when I was 12 – love the magic there!

We’re going to stay in the Coronado for Great Harvest convention in February – a rare opportunity !

Hilliary @Happily Ever Healthy December 5, 2011

Fabulous pictures! Your hotel is beautiful! Makes me want to book a trip out to California right now!

Tracy December 5, 2011

San Diego is amazing and the seals are adorable. Year ago we visited and my parents joked about opening a bed and breakfast. I told them if they did they would have a permanent resident, lol. If they ever follow through, I will let you know about your 4 year stay in exchange for cooking tips and tricks :).

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2011

deal ;)

Kit-Kat December 5, 2011

OMG the seals are adorable! And the food looks SO yummy!

Kristen December 5, 2011

I am going to have to keep your trip in mind since I will be in SD this summer for a wedding! Might have to drag my fam to that cafe!

Kathryn December 5, 2011

So cool to know you were in my state (but at the wrong end!). I have a co-worker that lives in SD and I got to stay with her. My husband and I biked around Coranado and when to the hotel too. I love gaslamp. Glad you see you guys on such a great vacation.

Lauren December 5, 2011

Im glad you are loving SoCal, if you keep going up the coast to Encinitas (about 15ish min north of La Jolla) you should stop at a place called Lotus Cafe off the 101 (Coast Highway) It is one of my fave vegetarian places in San Diego County, and even though its cold out the coast has been BEAUTIFUL the past few days. Hope you are having a wonderful time!

-Lauren

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2011

Yesss we made it to Lotus! Awesome :) Sadly were home, but it was short and sweet!

Zestful Lou December 5, 2011

I LOVE Lotus Juice Bar. So good and fresh!

Lorin December 5, 2011

I love Lotus as well! I’m from Encinitas/Carlsbad. CHeck out Pannikin coffee shop too if you can. It’s about a 5 minute drive up the coast from Lotus..although it doesn’t have a lot of vegan options it’s a cute old train station turned coffee shop.

Shimmy December 5, 2011

Yay!! I’m so happy that you came to SD! I live in the east part of the county so about 40 min from La Jolla! It’s pretty awesome seeing some of my favorite places featured here :D Make sure you visit Seaport Village and Balboa Park and Hillcrest!!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga December 5, 2011

What are the odds of you getting to San Diego the day I left??! But I just posted some beach and palm tree pics from Aruba so I’m not complaining but…I wanted to see you and Eric!!

I am glad you had such a fabulous time. And yes, the Hotel Del is crazy expensive and honestly, you probably did better staying downtown & not on Coronado b/c it’s easier to explore and more central if you’re not actually ON coronado.

And yes, the Gaslamp is loud. But hopefully you were so tired from all your exploring you didn’t notice it too much.

I hope the trip convinced you to move to come to San Diego again!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2011

I would have loved to see you too! Next time for sure. :) What a beautiful city you live in!

erica December 5, 2011

i have been loving all your trip recaps! i miss your everyday life posts.

i love this post because i’ll be heading to san diego in 2012 and we’ll be staying at that hotel! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2011

Thanks Erica :)

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon December 5, 2011

I spent a weekend in La Jolla last spring and absolutely fell in love. I too dream of living in California someday! Or perhaps attending grad school there…we’ll see!!

jenna December 5, 2011

ohhh how fun!! i’ve never been to socal but your photos look stunning! that veggie wrap looks amazing!

Zestful Lou December 5, 2011

Enjoy my backyard! Well, kind of. I live just up the coast in Huntington Beach! It’s beautiful right now!

Lorin December 5, 2011

I’m from San Diego in the North County area..about 15 minutes north of La Jolla. It’s so cool that you went there! I’m coming back from college after finals this week, I just missed you! I’m glad you had fun, it is definitely a beautiful place and it’s interesting seeing tourist’s perspective since I grew up there. I don’t always appreciate it as much as people who come visit do.

Char @ www.charskitchen.ca December 5, 2011

JUST when I thought I couldn’t get more jealous of your vacation, you go to SoCal ;)
The harbour seals are adorable!! I live on Vancouver Island, and we get them a lot here. You can go out to the docks and feed them by hand, but I’ve never seen one get out of the water. So cool!
That custom wrap looks delicious! Avocado mixed with anything is amazing.

Lisa (bakebikeblog) December 5, 2011

such gorgeous photos!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life December 5, 2011

You have to move out west – and it’s even easier to move within your own country, so just come join me in Vancouver! We’d love your cooking out here! ;)

Heidi December 5, 2011

Yay, San Diego! As a San Diego native, 18C is cold for us! ;) So glad you enjoyed our city!

Emily December 5, 2011

Looks wonderful Angela! I’m so glad you guys got to do a couple of fun trips! And I can’t believe what amazing weather you had in both places. :-)

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles December 5, 2011

Gorgeous! I have a friend who lives in La Jolla and I visited her this summer. It’s a mystery to me how I made it back to Massachusetts! I loved the seals too, I have so many photos. And I agree, veggie juice while traveling is almost like a body reset! I always crave it after flying.

K December 5, 2011

Just went to SD this past summer, what a gorgeous city!!
Love the lifestyle, fresh food options, beautiful views!

Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner December 5, 2011

beautiful pictures!! it looks sooo pretty. Enjoy the weather while you can because it is pouring rain here.

Colleen December 5, 2011

I was just in San Diego a few months ago as my best friend moved there. Absolutely loved it there and fell in love with Coronado Island – enjoy!

Alaina December 5, 2011

I love Coronado! My aunt and uncle used to live there. So beautiful. :-) It’s been years since I’ve gone though and these pictures are making me want to go back!

TeenyLittleSuperChef December 5, 2011

Well I don’t live in San Diego, but would you still consider being my live-in chef for awhile. I live close to the coast. Granted it’s the Oregon coast, but it’s still very pretty this time of year.
It looks like you and the hubby are having a great time and the eats are equally good. I’ve always wanted to go to Hotel Coronado ever since seeing it in my all-time favorite movie, Some Like it Hot. It’s funny though, because that movie takes place in Florida so for the longest time I thought that was where the hotel was located. Oops :)

Angie December 5, 2011

San Diego! I grew up there (in Point Loma) and miss it terribly… my first job was selling tickets for the ferry to Coronado, and I loved going to the Hotel Del on my days off. I’m glad you had a good time:)

Anna @ On Anna's Plate December 5, 2011

Wow– y’all are crazy travelers this week!! Hope you have fun on the West Coast!

Ana December 5, 2011

I’m so happy you enojoyed Sunny-D! Wheater is amazing even in dicember, I definitetely feel fortunate to live around here. Next time you’re around I hope we can meet and take you to a delicious and authentic Mexican and Vegan restaurant! :-)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin December 5, 2011

Wow it looks gorgeous there! Such a contrast to the cold rainy weather here. :P I’m jealous!

Ashley December 5, 2011

I want to jump in that bed and take a nap! It looks so cozy. :) Beautiful photos!!

Margaret December 5, 2011

I’m loving reading about your holiday adventures, and the photos are spectacular.
I didn’t realise Eric is so much taller than you!

hannah alehandra December 5, 2011

OH my god the seals are too funny looking!!! hehehe :D

Afton December 5, 2011

We live in LA, and your welcome to come live in our tiny apartment and cook me delicious food! You’ll have to share a room with my five month old though.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2011

hah sounds like a deal!

char @ char on a mission December 5, 2011

We went and saw that famous hotel too!!… on our honeymoon because we stayed in San Diego for it – well, started in Hollywood then moved to SD. Love it there! We stayed on a family friend’s boat in the Marriott Harbour (just a short walk to the downtown). Can’t wait for part 2!

Michelle December 5, 2011

Hi! I have been reading your blog for a few months now and absolutely love it! I have never left a comment before but when I saw these pics of San Diego (my hometown) I had to comment! I am so glad you are loving it!! Its such a gorgeous city :) If you loved La Jolla you will probably love Del Mar as well. I live in Australia (and have been here for the past 5 years) but am moving back to SoCal in Feb and this post has made me very excited to return home :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2011

So happy to hear that! Lucky girl :) I might have to move in with you ;) We loved Del Mar too!

Christine December 5, 2011

Hey Angela, your trip updates are fantastic! I may not be in So-Cal but I’m on the west coast close to Vancouver and I love it. Oceans and mountains only a couple hours apart. Thanks for all your restaurant info… going on the “food bucket list” for any future travels! Can’t wait for some re-creation recipes from your favorite spots.

Page 2 of 4«1234»