From East To West

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on December 5, 2011

After rolling ourselves (and luggage) to the airport, we slowed down our rushed pace of the city and headed to the West Coast for a couple nights. Eric and I dream of living on the West Coast some day…it’s on our bucket list. We’ve been planning a visit to So Cal for about a year now, so when we saw a seat sale we figured it was a sign. The best part was that we booked it all with air miles, including our rental car. That was a sweet bonus! Neither of us have ever been to California before so we were pumped.

We booked our hotel once again with Hotwire and got a great deal on the US Grant Hotel.

We were really happy with the hotel. Excellent, friendly service and very clean.

The only thing we didn’t like about the hotel was the noise and single pane windows. It’s located right in the heart of the Gaslamp district (bars and a wild nightlife) and the noise carried through the windows a lot. We put the fan on high before bed and were able to sleep like babies, so it wasn’t a huge issue.

Maybe we’re just getting old.

We picked up some food for snacks and breakfasts to save some money since NYC sucked us dry.

We had a fridge brought up to our room (love that the hotel offered them!). Nut butter, hummus, brown rice cakes, chips, milk, etc. Eric got cereal for breakfast and I picked up some bulk oats, chia seeds, and almond milk and made vegan overnight oats. It worked out perfectly and was cheaper than eating out for breakfast. One thing I noticed right away about California is that the food is much cheaper than at home.

Reunited and it feels so good.

….all hail……BARNEY BUTTER!!!

I hadn’t made VOO in such a long time. I was on a Green Monster kick for the past few months and I forgot how much I LOVE vegan overnight oats. You don’t even need to measure if you don’t want to. I just eyeballed it and it turned out great both times! On the side, I had a package of protein powder mixed with almond milk in a water bottle. Not the best tasting thing in the world (or even easy to get that damn powder into the bottle!), but it worked well to keep my hunger at bay all morning long.

My take on eating while traveling is pretty simple. I try to eat a balance of wholesome foods for my main meals (and try new dishes) and then I indulge in some sweet treats and special goodies that I normally wouldn’t be able to try back at home. It all balances out, especially when walking for 6 hours or more each day! And if it doesn’t balance out, no big deal. Life is short.

Morning teas…I had green and Eric black tea.

The weather was picture perfect! Sunshine and an expected high of about 18C. We really lucked out with the weather on this trip…it was almost as if we were travelling in early Fall, not December!

Anyone in the San Diego area want to take us in for a while? Maybe 4 years? I’ll be your live in chef.

We explored Coronado Island to start.

IMG_0750 IMG_0752

It was just horrible….dirty….don’t go here.

heh…just kidding.

We saw the famous Hotel Del Coronado right on the beach! I checked the prices for this place and whoa baby, it’s expensive!

Along the bay, with nice views of the SD cityscape.

Then we headed to La Jolla which is only about a 10 minute drive from the downtown core. I’ve always heard that the West Coast is very laid back and it really is! How could you not be if you lived here?

La Jolla took our breath away. My Gosh!!!

We went to the Cove and saw the Harbour Seals! Oh my gosh, I just fell in love with them!!!

Seriously, what magnificent creatures. We watched them for at least 30-45 mins. It’s funny when they get in spats with one another!

heh this guy below was so cute stretched out on his back!! If that’s not a head to toe stretch, I don’t know what is.

Every time the water came up and splashed them they would raise their head and look annoyed.

When Eric and I started to make voices for them, we knew it was time to go. ;)

After exploring for the morning and early afternoon, we had a late lunch in downtown La Jolla at a cafe called Lean & Green. It is extremely vegan friendly with all kinds of options marked vegan on their menu! Definitely check it out if you are in the area. The owner is really nice too!

It was also picked as La Jolla’s best veg restaurant recently.

You can click on the menus below to enlarge.

IMG_0858 IMG_0859

My customized wrap was great! I stuffed it full with all kinds of veggies (carrot, roasted red pepper, avocado, cukes, tomatoes, red onion, artichokes, shrooms, etc) and hummus.

I had their veggie juice to go with it. Fresh veggie juice is such a treat when travelling. I’m  too lazy to make it at home these days and I don’t find it very cost effective in the off season. Smoothies are my drink of choice when at home, but fresh juice all the way on vacation.

See you for Part 2!

PS- Today is the last day to enter the One Lucky Duck Gift Pack giveaway!

Meredith December 5, 2011 at 10:55 am

Gorgeous photos! I’ve NEVER been to the West Coast, it’s definitely on my list of must-visit locations!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning December 5, 2011 at 10:59 am

The photos are amazing!! I’ve seen several bloggers post photos of the seals from La Jolla and it just makes me want to go there so badly!
Also- did you say you got those boots at Payless? (Forgive me if I’m wrong!) Wondering if they’re the same ones, because I love them, and am about to shell out $150 for a similar pair made by Keen.
And- I’m making your cheesey savory oats tonight for dinner. I’m so excited about them!! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2011 at 11:08 am

Hey Lauren, Thank you :) Yup the boots are from Payless…I think they still have them, but Im not positive. They had a great 2 for 1 sale going on when I got them a couple weeks ago.
Enjoy the oats!

Amy @ The Whole Sweet Scoop December 5, 2011 at 11:00 am

I love those seals! I totally would have made up voices for them too haha ;)
Looks awesome, have fun!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2011 at 11:21 am

heh ;)

Jeanelle @ Glocal Girl December 5, 2011 at 11:02 am

Wow, this post made me really, REALLY miss California. I moved to Holland last year with my Dutch man and there’s really just no place like Southern California in the whole world! The people, the fresh food, the WEATHER… wow, amazing. Glad that you had a great time! x

Nicky @kabochafashionista December 5, 2011 at 11:02 am

Hey Angela, I haven’t ever commented before but I just wanted to say that your attitude (aswell as your veganism) to life and how to have a balance is such an inspiration! I will be going to NYC in 12 days (from the UK) and I hope to have as much fun as you did!
I’m planning on doing a breakfast like yours in the hotel, cheaper and exactly what you want!
Those seals are ADORABLE and you made me giggle how you had voices for them haha! Cute :) And that wrap looks sooo yumm!! Can’t wait to hear more!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2011 at 11:21 am

Thanks Nicky! Have a wonderful trip :)

Hannah December 5, 2011 at 11:05 am

Oh I would love to go to Cali soon. I think the sun would do me some good. And yes, life is way too short to worry about food….something I am learning every day!

Cat @Breakfast to Bed December 5, 2011 at 11:05 am

I had to stay at the Del Coronado for a bachelorette party once. I was both broke and amazed. It’s so beautiful. So glad you’re enjoying the states!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2011 at 11:09 am

hah I can imagine! What a fun place for a bachelorette though :)

Liz December 5, 2011 at 11:07 am

California is our back up plan – hopefully we won’t have to use it, as the first choice means the same weather but we get to be much, much closer to my family :)

We had friends who just left San Diego to move to Boston (and we ask them why every time we see them! The weather is gorgeous!), but we spent some time out there with them and always had fun. It sounds like you don’t have much time for other stuff, but Santa Barbara is just up the coast (OK, so 3 hours drive .. but still!) and if you love SD you will cry over SB. It’s the perfect location!

We love the freshness of everything in CA. So glad that you’re getting to experience it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2011 at 11:20 am

We wanted to go to SB, but ran out of time. We both heard great things about it though!!! Another time for sure :)

Brooke December 5, 2011 at 11:09 am

How cool!! I live in San Diego and work in La Jolla, I wish I would have run into you guys and given you a high five. I’m glad you got to see the sights here; a beautiful place to live and work.

sabine @ December 5, 2011 at 11:20 am

ohhh to live in San Diego! <3

Liz December 5, 2011 at 11:10 am

My parents lived in La Jolla for ten years! And then they moved to Ohio….gah! I don’t know what they were thinking! They still have a house there and rent it out. We’ve been to visit a number of times and it is seriously one of my favorite places I have ever been! Glad you are having such a nice vacation!

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes December 5, 2011 at 11:12 am

You guys really are getting around! I’m so glad you got to come to CA! San Diego is easily the nicest place if you’re going to be in SoCal.

RachelSD December 5, 2011 at 11:18 am

Oh, so excited you got to come to our city! (I live right near La Jolla.) Glad you had fun exploring! What a difference between NYC and San Diego, huh? Both great, but very different. :)

sabine @ December 5, 2011 at 11:19 am

Stunning beach photos! My food philosophy while traveling is the same. Get in some decent nutrition and then bring it on with the sweets :D

Jennifer P. December 5, 2011 at 11:22 am

Welcome to California Angela! I am about an hour north of you in Orange County. Yes, luckily the weather has been nice. I hope the rest of your stay is wonderful! :)

Ashley December 5, 2011 at 11:24 am

I’ve lived on the West Coast all my life, if not in California but in neighboring Nevada! I live in Reno- only 3 hours from San Fran, one of my favorite places I’ve ever visited. Southern California is so beautiful though– we used to go there once a year for my youngest sister’s birthday, including a trip to Disneyland followed by a beach day in Laguna or surrounding. So very beautiful:) We once took a roadtrip from Las Vegas, NV (where my parents live) on Highway 1, along the California and Oregon Coast line. Now that, was amazing. Have fun!

Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine December 5, 2011 at 11:24 am

Looks like such a fun time. :) I live in Pasadena, which is only a couple of hours from San Diego. You’ve inspired me to take a weekend trip!

Marcie December 5, 2011 at 11:27 am

I’m going to SD on a work trip in February. I’m excited to hear where else you went so I can go too!

Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy December 5, 2011 at 11:27 am

Ah, how pretty! My fiance and I looking for honeymoon ideas for July 2012, so I’m getting ideas from your travels! If you have an ideas that are within a young couple’s budget, do share :).

Molly December 5, 2011 at 11:32 am

that wrap used to “wrap-up” your wrap (wow i used the word “wrap” a lot..) looks really interesting and almost crispy? was it a regular tortilla?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2011 at 1:29 pm

oh that’s the paper they used to wrap it with! heh :)

gina (fitnessista) December 5, 2011 at 11:34 am

so crazy that we were in the exact same place a few weeks apart! please tell me you went to cups :)
hope you had a wonderful time <3

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2011 at 1:30 pm

I know eh? Sadly no we didnt make it to Cups…ran out of time!

Keven December 5, 2011 at 11:36 am

angela. have fun in san diego! I grew up in Coronado ( I miss it) and your pictures just made me jealous :) San Diego is the best. Theres a great vegeterian/vegan restaurant in Pacific beach called Isabels Cantina, if your in the area.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Thanks Kevin! How neat that you grew up there. :) Thanks for the restaurant suggestion, I’ll have to check it out next time I’m in the area!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes December 5, 2011 at 11:38 am

So pretty! That wrap looks so yummy :)

Amanda December 5, 2011 at 11:40 am

You are making me crave a vacation. I think going from NYC to SD is an awesome balance between super busy/fast-paced and laid back, and both are spectacular in their own ways.

When I was living in San Francisco last year, I was shocked at how much more chill everyone was compared to Boston. I found it made me antsy after a while, but it’s lovely for a vacation. :)

Lia December 5, 2011 at 11:40 am

Bah! You’re soooo lucky! We’ve been wanting to check out socal forever and we live in the US. What is your means of getting miles? We don’t aseem to get many and wonder if we’re doing something wrong that is preventing us from have more adventures.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2011 at 1:28 pm

We have air miles credit cards…that’s where it’s at!

Lizzie December 5, 2011 at 11:43 am

Ah Angela I am so jealous (in a good way of course!). NYC and California, lucky girl. I thought at first when I read “west” that you took a trip to Vancouver. Have you ever been there?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Hey Lizzie, Nope we’ve never been, but would love to go someday.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 5, 2011 at 11:49 am

OMG everything looks so picturesque! I loved the harbour seals in San Francisco – they were one of my favourite parts of the trip. You guys really lucked out with the weather, it looks gorgeous! And oh my, all the food choices…. I think I’d need to stay for weeks!

Alyanna December 5, 2011 at 11:50 am

Hi Angela! I don’t know how long you two will be in San Diego but if you feel like getting your exercise in and explore some nature at the same time you should definitely check out Torrey Pines state park (gorgeous gorgeous views) or climb Cowles Mtn for a view of the entire city!! Wow that was a really long sentence… Enjoy San Diego!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Thanks for the suggestion! We’re actually home now, but we’ll def check out the park next time (we only drove by it). Heard it was beautiful.

Sarah December 5, 2011 at 11:53 am

I just moved from the San Diego area in July and seeing your pictures made me miss it so much! I’m in DC now and hope to get back to San Diego in a few years. It is just always perfect there and you are right, everyone is pretty laid back. Enjoy your time there!

kate December 5, 2011 at 11:55 am

wow so jealous of this trip!! looks like you guys are having a great time. enjoy!! that wrap looked awesome.

Cait's Plate December 5, 2011 at 11:57 am

Ah!! I’ve been in that exact place! How great is Coronado Island?? I absolutely fell in love! Looks like you’re having such a blast! I’m so jealous!!

Samantha December 5, 2011 at 11:58 am

Hey Angela, I’m a long time reader, but I don’t think I’ve ever posted. I grew up in San Diego and wish I was down there today to take you two on an aerial sightseeing tour. I’m a pilot and San Diego is one of my favorite areas to fly around (Its where I learned to fly, afterall!). You would be amazed at the views and get some incredible photos! My boyfriend and I should trade places with you guys because we are itching to go north and fly up in Canada and Alaska. You miss on any “real” weather living in SoCal! Tough thing to complain about, I know :) Enjoy your trip!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Hey Samantha, thanks for your comment! We’re home, but would have loved to meet up! Maybe next time :) I can imagine how great the views would be…we saw some while flying out and it was breathtaking.

Nicole December 5, 2011 at 12:05 pm

I’m glad you’re enjoying San Diego!! I’m originally from the Northeast and have been living in San Diego for 2 years now and I love it here! It is definitely a change up from fast-paced East coast living (I’m from the NY area) and the weather is a MAJOR PLUS. And thanks for sharing your Lean & Green experience – I’ve never been there but will certainly try it out now that I know it’s here :)

Sonia (the Mexigarian) December 5, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Ah! You’re in my old college town! UCSD in La Jolla. That’s where I met my Hubby. :) I LOVE it down there. I definitely suggest checking out Pacific Beach, Mission Beach, and Encinitas. Just drive up the coast and enjoy the sights! There are also plenty of trails and bike paths. I suggest Torrey Pines State Reserve Park, just on the coast, just north of UCSD and south of Del Mar. Beautiful views! Enjoy your stay in San Diego!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Thanks Sonia! That’s cool you went to school there…Eric and I kept saying how we want to go back to school just so we can live there! ha
We drove along the coast and it was amazing…fell in love with every town we drove through.

Lauren @ HugsKissesNDishes December 5, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Yay in my city! Hope you are enjoying yourself! Go check out Hillcrest if you have time, it is close to downtown and full of wonderful eats, and balboa park is a wonderful place for a picnic (there is a whole foods near it fyi)! Your pictures are gorgeous! Makes me want to leave work and enjoy the scenery.

Annie December 5, 2011 at 12:48 pm

wow those pics are amazing! That beach looks like it’s absolutely gorgeous! and those seals :)) I’m in love :D I’m in europe and I’ve only been to nyc in the US but I definitely want to go to the west coast some time!

Jenny @ Simply December 5, 2011 at 1:04 pm

I have had a love affair with California since I was in high school! I’ve been to San Diego and am dying to go back! Thanks for sharing :)

kaila @ healthyhelper December 5, 2011 at 1:06 pm

WOAH…two trips in a row!?!?!! I wish I could go on vacation that much! NYC and San Diego are two of my fave places! Its funny because I have pics in all those same places in San Diego…I LOVE CORONADO!! So beautiful! Enjoy your time in the sun!

Jen December 5, 2011 at 1:13 pm

you need to go to the restaurant called Spread. BEST vegan meal I have ever had!! Seriously though, you need to go

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Where is it? We’re home, but I’ll keep it on my radar for next time.

Amber K December 5, 2011 at 1:18 pm

I have seriously got to visit California! Especially since I live in Oregon, so it wouldn’t actually be that long of a trip. Just gotta find the money and time. Because that is just plain beautiful!

Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats December 5, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Wow what a great vacation you’re on! My sister lives down in San Diego and I just visited her last month. If you’re looking for a great vegetarian/vegan friendly restaurant for breakfast you should definitely try The Mission!

Stephenie Zamora December 5, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Those seals are absolutely precious! Glad you’re enjoying your time, I loved the city when I was there for a mastermind retreat. xo

[email protected] KatieDid December 5, 2011 at 1:29 pm

I’ve been to San Diego twice in the past- LOVE it there. The weather seems flawless which always makes for an amazing trip. Lots of traveling for you two, you must be exhausted!

sarah @ climbinvegan December 5, 2011 at 1:31 pm

It’s almost comical to me that you were in NYC when I was in California (for thanksgiving), and now that I’m back living in NYC you’re from my home-state! You REALLY should go check out nor-cal….. Especially the vegan eateries of Berkeley. Have fun though- enjoy the cali sun!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2011 at 2:41 pm

heh :) Maybe someday we’ll be in the same spot at the same time!

Amanda @ AmandaRunsNY December 5, 2011 at 1:33 pm

So pretty!

Kath December 5, 2011 at 1:42 pm

I loooove California too! I fell in love with La Jolla when I was 12 – love the magic there!

We’re going to stay in the Coronado for Great Harvest convention in February – a rare opportunity !

Hilliary @Happily Ever Healthy December 5, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Fabulous pictures! Your hotel is beautiful! Makes me want to book a trip out to California right now!

Tracy December 5, 2011 at 1:45 pm

San Diego is amazing and the seals are adorable. Year ago we visited and my parents joked about opening a bed and breakfast. I told them if they did they would have a permanent resident, lol. If they ever follow through, I will let you know about your 4 year stay in exchange for cooking tips and tricks :).

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2011 at 2:42 pm

deal ;)

Kit-Kat December 5, 2011 at 1:49 pm

OMG the seals are adorable! And the food looks SO yummy!

Kristen December 5, 2011 at 1:51 pm

I am going to have to keep your trip in mind since I will be in SD this summer for a wedding! Might have to drag my fam to that cafe!

Kathryn December 5, 2011 at 1:52 pm

So cool to know you were in my state (but at the wrong end!). I have a co-worker that lives in SD and I got to stay with her. My husband and I biked around Coranado and when to the hotel too. I love gaslamp. Glad you see you guys on such a great vacation.

Lauren December 5, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Im glad you are loving SoCal, if you keep going up the coast to Encinitas (about 15ish min north of La Jolla) you should stop at a place called Lotus Cafe off the 101 (Coast Highway) It is one of my fave vegetarian places in San Diego County, and even though its cold out the coast has been BEAUTIFUL the past few days. Hope you are having a wonderful time!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Yesss we made it to Lotus! Awesome :) Sadly were home, but it was short and sweet!

Zestful Lou December 5, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I LOVE Lotus Juice Bar. So good and fresh!

Lorin December 5, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I love Lotus as well! I’m from Encinitas/Carlsbad. CHeck out Pannikin coffee shop too if you can. It’s about a 5 minute drive up the coast from Lotus..although it doesn’t have a lot of vegan options it’s a cute old train station turned coffee shop.

Shimmy December 5, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Yay!! I’m so happy that you came to SD! I live in the east part of the county so about 40 min from La Jolla! It’s pretty awesome seeing some of my favorite places featured here :D Make sure you visit Seaport Village and Balboa Park and Hillcrest!!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga December 5, 2011 at 2:05 pm

What are the odds of you getting to San Diego the day I left??! But I just posted some beach and palm tree pics from Aruba so I’m not complaining but…I wanted to see you and Eric!!

I am glad you had such a fabulous time. And yes, the Hotel Del is crazy expensive and honestly, you probably did better staying downtown & not on Coronado b/c it’s easier to explore and more central if you’re not actually ON coronado.

And yes, the Gaslamp is loud. But hopefully you were so tired from all your exploring you didn’t notice it too much.

I hope the trip convinced you to move to come to San Diego again!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2011 at 2:43 pm

I would have loved to see you too! Next time for sure. :) What a beautiful city you live in!

erica December 5, 2011 at 2:19 pm

i have been loving all your trip recaps! i miss your everyday life posts.

i love this post because i’ll be heading to san diego in 2012 and we’ll be staying at that hotel! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Thanks Erica :)

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon December 5, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I spent a weekend in La Jolla last spring and absolutely fell in love. I too dream of living in California someday! Or perhaps attending grad school there…we’ll see!!

jenna December 5, 2011 at 2:36 pm

ohhh how fun!! i’ve never been to socal but your photos look stunning! that veggie wrap looks amazing!

Zestful Lou December 5, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Enjoy my backyard! Well, kind of. I live just up the coast in Huntington Beach! It’s beautiful right now!

Lorin December 5, 2011 at 3:12 pm

I’m from San Diego in the North County area..about 15 minutes north of La Jolla. It’s so cool that you went there! I’m coming back from college after finals this week, I just missed you! I’m glad you had fun, it is definitely a beautiful place and it’s interesting seeing tourist’s perspective since I grew up there. I don’t always appreciate it as much as people who come visit do.

Char @ December 5, 2011 at 3:18 pm

JUST when I thought I couldn’t get more jealous of your vacation, you go to SoCal ;)
The harbour seals are adorable!! I live on Vancouver Island, and we get them a lot here. You can go out to the docks and feed them by hand, but I’ve never seen one get out of the water. So cool!
That custom wrap looks delicious! Avocado mixed with anything is amazing.

Lisa (bakebikeblog) December 5, 2011 at 3:23 pm

such gorgeous photos!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life December 5, 2011 at 3:41 pm

You have to move out west – and it’s even easier to move within your own country, so just come join me in Vancouver! We’d love your cooking out here! ;)

Heidi December 5, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Yay, San Diego! As a San Diego native, 18C is cold for us! ;) So glad you enjoyed our city!

Emily December 5, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Looks wonderful Angela! I’m so glad you guys got to do a couple of fun trips! And I can’t believe what amazing weather you had in both places. :-)

[email protected] December 5, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Gorgeous! I have a friend who lives in La Jolla and I visited her this summer. It’s a mystery to me how I made it back to Massachusetts! I loved the seals too, I have so many photos. And I agree, veggie juice while traveling is almost like a body reset! I always crave it after flying.

K December 5, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Just went to SD this past summer, what a gorgeous city!!
Love the lifestyle, fresh food options, beautiful views!

Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner December 5, 2011 at 4:47 pm

beautiful pictures!! it looks sooo pretty. Enjoy the weather while you can because it is pouring rain here.

Colleen December 5, 2011 at 5:34 pm

I was just in San Diego a few months ago as my best friend moved there. Absolutely loved it there and fell in love with Coronado Island – enjoy!

Alaina December 5, 2011 at 5:38 pm

I love Coronado! My aunt and uncle used to live there. So beautiful. :-) It’s been years since I’ve gone though and these pictures are making me want to go back!

TeenyLittleSuperChef December 5, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Well I don’t live in San Diego, but would you still consider being my live-in chef for awhile. I live close to the coast. Granted it’s the Oregon coast, but it’s still very pretty this time of year.
It looks like you and the hubby are having a great time and the eats are equally good. I’ve always wanted to go to Hotel Coronado ever since seeing it in my all-time favorite movie, Some Like it Hot. It’s funny though, because that movie takes place in Florida so for the longest time I thought that was where the hotel was located. Oops :)

Angie December 5, 2011 at 5:51 pm

San Diego! I grew up there (in Point Loma) and miss it terribly… my first job was selling tickets for the ferry to Coronado, and I loved going to the Hotel Del on my days off. I’m glad you had a good time:)

Anna @ On Anna's Plate December 5, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Wow– y’all are crazy travelers this week!! Hope you have fun on the West Coast!

Ana December 5, 2011 at 6:08 pm

I’m so happy you enojoyed Sunny-D! Wheater is amazing even in dicember, I definitetely feel fortunate to live around here. Next time you’re around I hope we can meet and take you to a delicious and authentic Mexican and Vegan restaurant! :-)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin December 5, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Wow it looks gorgeous there! Such a contrast to the cold rainy weather here. :P I’m jealous!

Ashley December 5, 2011 at 6:32 pm

I want to jump in that bed and take a nap! It looks so cozy. :) Beautiful photos!!

Margaret December 5, 2011 at 6:45 pm

I’m loving reading about your holiday adventures, and the photos are spectacular.
I didn’t realise Eric is so much taller than you!

hannah alehandra December 5, 2011 at 7:06 pm

OH my god the seals are too funny looking!!! hehehe :D

Afton December 5, 2011 at 7:13 pm

We live in LA, and your welcome to come live in our tiny apartment and cook me delicious food! You’ll have to share a room with my five month old though.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2011 at 10:08 pm

hah sounds like a deal!

char @ char on a mission December 5, 2011 at 7:42 pm

We went and saw that famous hotel too!!… on our honeymoon because we stayed in San Diego for it – well, started in Hollywood then moved to SD. Love it there! We stayed on a family friend’s boat in the Marriott Harbour (just a short walk to the downtown). Can’t wait for part 2!

Michelle December 5, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Hi! I have been reading your blog for a few months now and absolutely love it! I have never left a comment before but when I saw these pics of San Diego (my hometown) I had to comment! I am so glad you are loving it!! Its such a gorgeous city :) If you loved La Jolla you will probably love Del Mar as well. I live in Australia (and have been here for the past 5 years) but am moving back to SoCal in Feb and this post has made me very excited to return home :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2011 at 10:07 pm

So happy to hear that! Lucky girl :) I might have to move in with you ;) We loved Del Mar too!

Christine December 5, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Hey Angela, your trip updates are fantastic! I may not be in So-Cal but I’m on the west coast close to Vancouver and I love it. Oceans and mountains only a couple hours apart. Thanks for all your restaurant info… going on the “food bucket list” for any future travels! Can’t wait for some re-creation recipes from your favorite spots.

alexe December 5, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Hi Angela!

What a wonderful trip! Thank you for sharing it with us I was just wondering (maybe someone already mentionned it), why didn’t you mix your protein powder IN the vegan overnight oats instead of in plain water on the side? I do it all the time (mix it with the rest the night before) and you can’t taste a difference in texture. You are only left with a great taste of chocolate, vanilla or nothing if you use plain protein powder.

Enjoy the rest of your vacation!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats December 5, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Oh my gosh, Hotel Del Coronado! I was really young when my family stayed there, but weirdly that place (and Disney Land) is basically all I remember about our summer trips to San Diego! The hotel is so gorgeous! Oh yea, I now remember an awful sunburn I got on my back… I probably had blocked that one out.

Brittany December 5, 2011 at 10:18 pm

I live in San Diego! Come live with me! I would LOVE a chef!!! ;)

(Glad you’re liking my city)

[email protected] December 5, 2011 at 10:19 pm

What a fabulous vacation you are on! I am so happy for you and Eric to be able to get away and enjoy a break from the daily grind, I know you have had some health stuff going on (I never saw anything after your ultrasound, BTW, but I am hoping you are doing well! You’ve been in my thoughts and well wishes since I read about it, and you look gorgeous and healthy in your vacay pics! Just as an aside. :) ). It’s kinda funny because I moved to NYC right after graduating college in May 2010 (and am still living here), and I went to college in So Cal, so I feel very attached to the places you are writing about on this trip. I miss the West Coast, and hope to move back some day. Not that NYC isn’t amazing! But it is expensive and I miss the sun and chill attitude of the West. Keep soaking up the glorious sun and making up voices for seals. :)

Kristy B. December 5, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Welcome to sunny San Diego! I moved here 3 years ago and never looked back and these beautiful photos remind me of why I fell in love with the city in the first place. I will definitely have to try out the Lean and restaurant. Looks so good. I’m glad you enjoyed your time here.

Allison Welton December 5, 2011 at 10:34 pm

That wrap looks amazing!

Kim December 5, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Ah man, if I would have known you were going to be here I would have asked you to come be my personal chef! I live in San Diego and it is glorious, isn’t it? La Jolla is amazing… when I first moved here I couldn’t believe it existed. Especially the tide pools.

Glad you liked i!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 6, 2011 at 8:03 am

anytime heh ;)

Rachel December 5, 2011 at 10:42 pm

I absolutely love Coronado Island! It’s so beautiful… and of course the seals are a plus ;)

Carley December 5, 2011 at 11:30 pm

Such a great choice to vacay! Gaslamp district is pretty wild and Coronado is a piece of heaven. Glad you enjoyed the chill-ness of the west coast and ate the fresh food!

Kendall December 5, 2011 at 11:41 pm

If you want to move 2 hours up the coast to Orange County I’d take you in in a heart beat!! :) glad you’re having fun and enjoy the sun!

Mackenzie @ Eat. Exercise. Evolve December 5, 2011 at 11:44 pm

I live in San Diego! Glad you enjoyed it :)

Andrea December 6, 2011 at 12:12 am

“When Eric and I started to make voices for them, we knew it was time to go.” —- HAHA! That would have totally been me and my boyfriend, too! :)

Colleen Green December 6, 2011 at 12:29 am

Hi Angela,

Are you still in SoCal (aka San Diego)? If so, I’d LOVE for you to come by and visit our school, High Tech High. Our students have been reading your blog and studying up on the farm to table, fresh, veggie, vegan movement for some time and would LOVE to meet you and maybe do a little “interview”. Also, my teaching partner and I are HUGE fans of your blog and have made so many of your yummy recipes, it’d be an honor to have you visit our kiddos. Feel free to email me at the above email, if you are in town and would have time. We are located near the airport, so close to downtown. If not, enjoy the rest of your time – I LOVE living in San Diego — and you should check out Ranchos in OB for a great vegan mexican experience!!

Blair December 6, 2011 at 1:03 am

I love that you went to Lean & Green! I brought a Groupon-type deal for that place months ago but they have really crappy hours so I still haven’t gotten to go. I’m going to have to make it a point to go before the end of the year. Glad you guys enjoyed San Diego!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 6, 2011 at 8:03 am

Yea I wished they were open later than 4pm too….I hope you enjoy it!

Maria Schade December 6, 2011 at 5:49 am

I LOVE San Diego! A good friend of mine is stationed on Coronado going through SEALs training.
Make sure you make it to Seattle sometime, I think you’ll love it too! (thats home for me) =)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers December 6, 2011 at 7:25 am

I just love Southern CA. It’s one of my favorite places to go. It just feels so different being there in comparison to living in N. CA. Have fun!!!

LizAshlee December 6, 2011 at 8:24 am

I dream of living in CA one day…I’m thinking Santa Barbara…amazing photos..thanks for sharing! :)

meredith December 6, 2011 at 8:48 am

You’re in my hood…Welcome to Sunny San Diego! I think you’ll like the restaurant Spread in the North Park neighborhood, and there’s another vegetarian restaurant not too far from there called Jyoti Bihanga (attached to a yoga studio if you need to get your yoga on!). If you are here on Wednesday my funky little town, Ocean Beach, is having a farmers market starting around 4 til sundown (there are GREAT farmer’s markets this weekend in little italy and hillcrest). Plus Ocean Beach has an incredible vegetarian Co-op market with deli upstairs with lots of vegan and raw salads and treats. Enjoy your trip! :) xo meredith

jenna December 6, 2011 at 8:53 am

angela-did you take that second picture? it is truly gorgeous!

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove December 6, 2011 at 9:10 am

Beautiful photos! I always get juice when I’m on vacation, too (or when I’m having a rough day). We don’t have a juicer but so I feel like it’s a special treat.

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh December 6, 2011 at 9:21 am

Wonderful pics!! I so want to stay at the Coronado Hotel one day if for no other reason than to see the ghost lady. The seals remind me of our visit to Carmel in May. If you haven’t been yet, go! It’s right up your alley! Can’t wait for more pics.

Gillian December 6, 2011 at 9:53 am

hi there! first comment here, but ive been following you for a while!
I had to comment… i used to live in la jolla and work at the gym that is RIGHT across from lean and green, and then i worked at the lululemon a block away for over a year!!!! all of the lulu girls were OBSESSED with lean and green burritos and miguel the owner used to come into lulu all the time… enjoy SD!!

if you get a chance, go to TAO in north park!!!! they make their own tofu and its pretty cheap for how amazing the food is! lots of vegan options!

London Accountant December 6, 2011 at 10:04 am

Those photos are so, so pretty. I know it might not mean a lot but thank you for your reassurances about holiday food and relaxing a bit with it – it’s one of those stresses that comes with going on holiday, how much you should “allow yourself” to eat – to the extent that you may miss out on actually enjoying yourself.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 6, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Thank you!

Allison December 6, 2011 at 10:44 am

GREAT pictures! Looks and sounds like a fabulously fun adventure! My family and I went on a tour of CA when I was younger and hit up many of the places you mentioned- including staying at the Hotel Del Coronado! I’m totes thankful for that trip since my budget couldn’t afford it nowadays :P

Rachel December 6, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Looks like you are having an amazing trip!!! Enjoy :)

Heather S December 6, 2011 at 12:22 pm

As a San Diego resident, I can attest to it really being as beautiful as your wonderful photos captured :) And there are so many vegan-friendly places here! Hopefully you made it into the North Park/Hillcrest area and tried places like The Loving Hut and Veg N Out…if not, looks like you’ll just have to come back for another visit ;)

[email protected] Flying ONION December 6, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Oh, what gorgeous views! I dream of visiting California someday. So much to see, so little time! :D

Nicolette Carroll December 6, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Yes, try the Mission! This is my town (well for the last 11 years). Glad you’re out there having fun while I sit at work! Lol! There is so much to do and see and eat in San Diego! For photographry, you will love Balboa Park.

[email protected] December 6, 2011 at 1:33 pm

wowww awesome!! I can’t believe that you guys are here in socal!! Well, I’m still 2-2.5 hours away…but that’s cool! And I think I recognize those places. Definitely La Jolla is a must visit! And I can’t believe CA food is cheaper than Canada! Because CA is known to be one of the priciest places to live in overall–including groceries. Have a greeeeatt time guys~

Ashley December 6, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Love the photos. :)

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes December 6, 2011 at 3:21 pm

It looks like you had such a great time!

Lara @ beingLA December 6, 2011 at 3:22 pm

LOVE that you finally got to visit California! Isn’t it wonderful? After growing up in Orange County, spending 4 yrs in the mid-West for college, and then moving back to LA, I know that I could probably never live anywhere else (I’ll travel and visit instead). La Jolla is gorgeous, especially in the winter when the air is crisp. If you ever make it back to CA (or make it your home :-) make sure to take a trip along the CA coast. It’s magnificent!

Shayla @ The Good Life December 6, 2011 at 3:32 pm

I love your recap of San Diego!! We live in San Francisco so visiting San Diego is (thankfully) a quick hour plane ride for us since we love it so very much. We loved it so much we had our wedding there at Paradise Point Resort (Mission Bay) and honeymooned there as well. We originally wanted our wedding at the Hotel Del Coronado (gorgeous!) but like you said, waaay too expensive! Can’t wait for part 2! :)

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy December 6, 2011 at 5:48 pm

La Jolla is really beautiful! I’m glad you guys had a fun trip. And I love that sweater you’re wearing!

Kathryn December 6, 2011 at 8:48 pm

The coastline! Just made me feel peaceful looking at your pictures! Thanks for sharing your holiday :)

Michele Sparrow December 6, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Hi Angela! Not sure that I have ever commented on your blog, but I’m the gal who sent you that musical performance a few months back…:-) Wanted to tell you I am enjoying your photos and hey, Santa Cruz is not that far away from southern Cali if you made it this far already! Come on up! We have room to spare! :-)

Meg Horowitz December 6, 2011 at 10:13 pm

So glad you got to visit the West Coast! I’m living in LA right now, but I’m originally from San Diego. Isn’t the seal beach the best??! :)

P.S. I absolutely LOVE your recipes!

Cheryl December 6, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Beautiful pictures–I am seriously jealous.

After trying overnight oats once and being reminded of a really mediocre muesli recipe I tried before, I kind of gave up on them but I think I’m going to give em another shot, and I think adding some peanut butter or something exciting (I will check out recipes) might help…thanks for the reminder to try something new! Seeing the same old same old cereal in my pics is getting beyond boring…

Hannah December 7, 2011 at 9:42 am

I thought those pictures looked familiar! My husband and I just moved to La Jolla in July, and we love it so much. Especially the seals! :)

Laura December 7, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Last year, we booked the Grant Hotel through Hotwire and loved it, too! It was great to see your pictures of it since our camera was stolen at the end of the trip :(

[email protected] December 7, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Used to live in New York and miss it terribly! Your pictures are gorgeous!!!

Carmen December 8, 2011 at 12:18 am

Thank you for sharing pictures from your recent travels! They are lovely! I got excited once I saw you made your way to California, my side of the world. So glad to hear you enjoyed San Diego–La Jolla especially. My husband (then fiance) and I lived in La Jolla while attending university. We had such great adventures! We currently reside in Ventura, CA, a mere 20 minutes south of Santa Barbara. If you loved La Jolla, you will die for Santa Barbara. You won’t want to leave. It is a must-see for your next visit!

Sam December 8, 2011 at 2:33 am

We were just there a few weeks ago! We have so many of the same shots. We got engaged in La Jolla years ago and love to go back. Looks like you saw some great stuff!

Viki December 8, 2011 at 9:04 am

We are heading to SD for New Years. I am so excited considering that we’ve never been to California before and I am sure I will love it (especially coming from the cold NY). Could someone please recommended places to visit around SD area. I have a 6 year old son and we are planning to go San Diego ZOO, Lego Land but I would also like to drive outside and see other places. Thank you. Viki

Jenny McMullin December 8, 2011 at 12:34 pm

I’m from San Diego and now I’m totally home sick!!!!

Cara-Mia December 8, 2011 at 1:25 pm

I’ve always wanted to stay at the Grant! My mother’s family used to stay there all the time, and I’d like to stay there at some point.

I’m moving to San Diego when I get married in February (I currently live two hours away) and cannot wait! It’s such a beautiful city. Glad you enjoyed it. :)

JenATX December 9, 2011 at 10:48 am

you and Eric crack me up; did you take a little seal home? I’m sure he’d love Canada!

Ashley December 9, 2011 at 6:19 pm

I live in La Jolla :-D so fun to see your photos! You have quite the eye for photography. I’m glad you enjoyed it so much, and reading someone say Whole Foods was cheap made me giggle. Canada must be very expensive!

Cheoy Lee January 9, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Stunning pictures – envious.