From East To West

IMG 0831 thumb   From East To West

After rolling ourselves (and luggage) to the airport, we slowed down our rushed pace of the city and headed to the West Coast for a couple nights. Eric and I dream of living on the West Coast some day…it’s on our bucket list. We’ve been planning a visit to So Cal for about a year now, so when we saw a seat sale we figured it was a sign. The best part was that we booked it all with air miles, including our rental car. That was a sweet bonus! Neither of us have ever been to California before so we were pumped.

We booked our hotel once again with Hotwire and got a great deal on the US Grant Hotel.

unnamed thumb   From East To West

IMG 0719 thumb   From East To West

We were really happy with the hotel. Excellent, friendly service and very clean.

IMG 0723 thumb   From East To West

IMG 0724 thumb   From East To West

The only thing we didn’t like about the hotel was the noise and single pane windows. It’s located right in the heart of the Gaslamp district (bars and a wild nightlife) and the noise carried through the windows a lot. We put the fan on high before bed and were able to sleep like babies, so it wasn’t a huge issue.

Maybe we’re just getting old.

We picked up some food for snacks and breakfasts to save some money since NYC sucked us dry.

IMG 0729 thumb   From East To West

We had a fridge brought up to our room (love that the hotel offered them!). Nut butter, hummus, brown rice cakes, chips, milk, etc. Eric got cereal for breakfast and I picked up some bulk oats, chia seeds, and almond milk and made vegan overnight oats. It worked out perfectly and was cheaper than eating out for breakfast. One thing I noticed right away about California is that the food is much cheaper than at home.

Reunited and it feels so good.

IMG 0737 thumb   From East To West

….all hail……BARNEY BUTTER!!!

I hadn’t made VOO in such a long time. I was on a Green Monster kick for the past few months and I forgot how much I LOVE vegan overnight oats. You don’t even need to measure if you don’t want to. I just eyeballed it and it turned out great both times! On the side, I had a package of protein powder mixed with almond milk in a water bottle. Not the best tasting thing in the world (or even easy to get that damn powder into the bottle!), but it worked well to keep my hunger at bay all morning long.

IMG 0731 thumb   From East To West

My take on eating while traveling is pretty simple. I try to eat a balance of wholesome foods for my main meals (and try new dishes) and then I indulge in some sweet treats and special goodies that I normally wouldn’t be able to try back at home. It all balances out, especially when walking for 6 hours or more each day! And if it doesn’t balance out, no big deal. Life is short.

Morning teas…I had green and Eric black tea.

IMG 0741 thumb   From East To West

The weather was picture perfect! Sunshine and an expected high of about 18C. We really lucked out with the weather on this trip…it was almost as if we were travelling in early Fall, not December!

Anyone in the San Diego area want to take us in for a while? Maybe 4 years? I’ll be your live in chef.

IMG 0746 thumb   From East To West

We explored Coronado Island to start.

IMG 0750 thumb   From East To West IMG 0752 thumb   From East To West

It was just horrible….dirty….don’t go here.

heh…just kidding.

We saw the famous Hotel Del Coronado right on the beach! I checked the prices for this place and whoa baby, it’s expensive!

IMG 0755 thumb   From East To West

IMG 0754 thumb   From East To West

Along the bay, with nice views of the SD cityscape.

IMG 0764 thumb   From East To West

IMG 0766 thumb   From East To West

Then we headed to La Jolla which is only about a 10 minute drive from the downtown core. I’ve always heard that the West Coast is very laid back and it really is! How could you not be if you lived here?

IMG 0786 thumb   From East To West

IMG 0780 thumb   From East To West

La Jolla took our breath away. My Gosh!!!

IMG 0813 thumb   From East To West

IMG 5104 thumb   From East To West

IMG 5051 thumb   From East To West

We went to the Cove and saw the Harbour Seals! Oh my gosh, I just fell in love with them!!!

IMG 5055 thumb   From East To West

Seriously, what magnificent creatures. We watched them for at least 30-45 mins. It’s funny when they get in spats with one another!

heh this guy below was so cute stretched out on his back!! If that’s not a head to toe stretch, I don’t know what is.

IMG 0804 thumb   From East To West

Every time the water came up and splashed them they would raise their head and look annoyed.

IMG 5066 thumb   From East To West

When Eric and I started to make voices for them, we knew it was time to go. ;)

IMG 0816 thumb   From East To West

After exploring for the morning and early afternoon, we had a late lunch in downtown La Jolla at a cafe called Lean & Green. It is extremely vegan friendly with all kinds of options marked vegan on their menu! Definitely check it out if you are in the area. The owner is really nice too!

IMG 0869 thumb   From East To West

It was also picked as La Jolla’s best veg restaurant recently.

IMG 0857 thumb   From East To West

You can click on the menus below to enlarge.

IMG 0858 thumb1   From East To West IMG 0859 thumb1   From East To West

My customized wrap was great! I stuffed it full with all kinds of veggies (carrot, roasted red pepper, avocado, cukes, tomatoes, red onion, artichokes, shrooms, etc) and hummus.

IMG 0863 thumb   From East To West

I had their veggie juice to go with it. Fresh veggie juice is such a treat when travelling. I’m  too lazy to make it at home these days and I don’t find it very cost effective in the off season. Smoothies are my drink of choice when at home, but fresh juice all the way on vacation.

IMG 0864 thumb   From East To West

See you for Part 2!

IMG 5112 thumb   From East To West

PS- Today is the last day to enter the One Lucky Duck Gift Pack giveaway!

Meredith December 5, 2011

Gorgeous photos! I’ve NEVER been to the West Coast, it’s definitely on my list of must-visit locations!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning December 5, 2011

The photos are amazing!! I’ve seen several bloggers post photos of the seals from La Jolla and it just makes me want to go there so badly!
Also- did you say you got those boots at Payless? (Forgive me if I’m wrong!) Wondering if they’re the same ones, because I love them, and am about to shell out $150 for a similar pair made by Keen.
And- I’m making your cheesey savory oats tonight for dinner. I’m so excited about them!! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2011

Hey Lauren, Thank you :) Yup the boots are from Payless…I think they still have them, but Im not positive. They had a great 2 for 1 sale going on when I got them a couple weeks ago.
Enjoy the oats!

Amy @ The Whole Sweet Scoop December 5, 2011

I love those seals! I totally would have made up voices for them too haha ;)
Looks awesome, have fun!

heh ;)

Jeanelle @ Glocal Girl December 5, 2011

Wow, this post made me really, REALLY miss California. I moved to Holland last year with my Dutch man and there’s really just no place like Southern California in the whole world! The people, the fresh food, the WEATHER… wow, amazing. Glad that you had a great time! x

Nicky @kabochafashionista December 5, 2011

Hey Angela, I haven’t ever commented before but I just wanted to say that your attitude (aswell as your veganism) to life and how to have a balance is such an inspiration! I will be going to NYC in 12 days (from the UK) and I hope to have as much fun as you did!
I’m planning on doing a breakfast like yours in the hotel, cheaper and exactly what you want!
Those seals are ADORABLE and you made me giggle how you had voices for them haha! Cute :) And that wrap looks sooo yumm!! Can’t wait to hear more!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2011

Thanks Nicky! Have a wonderful trip :)

Hannah December 5, 2011

Oh I would love to go to Cali soon. I think the sun would do me some good. And yes, life is way too short to worry about food….something I am learning every day!

Cat @Breakfast to Bed December 5, 2011

I had to stay at the Del Coronado for a bachelorette party once. I was both broke and amazed. It’s so beautiful. So glad you’re enjoying the states!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2011

hah I can imagine! What a fun place for a bachelorette though :)

Liz December 5, 2011

California is our back up plan – hopefully we won’t have to use it, as the first choice means the same weather but we get to be much, much closer to my family :)

We had friends who just left San Diego to move to Boston (and we ask them why every time we see them! The weather is gorgeous!), but we spent some time out there with them and always had fun. It sounds like you don’t have much time for other stuff, but Santa Barbara is just up the coast (OK, so 3 hours drive .. but still!) and if you love SD you will cry over SB. It’s the perfect location!

We love the freshness of everything in CA. So glad that you’re getting to experience it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2011

We wanted to go to SB, but ran out of time. We both heard great things about it though!!! Another time for sure :)

Brooke December 5, 2011

How cool!! I live in San Diego and work in La Jolla, I wish I would have run into you guys and given you a high five. I’m glad you got to see the sights here; a beautiful place to live and work.

sabine @ some-like-it-raw.com December 5, 2011

ohhh to live in San Diego! <3

Liz December 5, 2011

My parents lived in La Jolla for ten years! And then they moved to Ohio….gah! I don’t know what they were thinking! They still have a house there and rent it out. We’ve been to visit a number of times and it is seriously one of my favorite places I have ever been! Glad you are having such a nice vacation!

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes December 5, 2011

You guys really are getting around! I’m so glad you got to come to CA! San Diego is easily the nicest place if you’re going to be in SoCal.

RachelSD December 5, 2011

Oh, so excited you got to come to our city! (I live right near La Jolla.) Glad you had fun exploring! What a difference between NYC and San Diego, huh? Both great, but very different. :)

sabine @ some-like-it-raw.com December 5, 2011

Stunning beach photos! My food philosophy while traveling is the same. Get in some decent nutrition and then bring it on with the sweets :D

Jennifer P. December 5, 2011

Welcome to California Angela! I am about an hour north of you in Orange County. Yes, luckily the weather has been nice. I hope the rest of your stay is wonderful! :)

Ashley December 5, 2011

I’ve lived on the West Coast all my life, if not in California but in neighboring Nevada! I live in Reno- only 3 hours from San Fran, one of my favorite places I’ve ever visited. Southern California is so beautiful though– we used to go there once a year for my youngest sister’s birthday, including a trip to Disneyland followed by a beach day in Laguna or surrounding. So very beautiful:) We once took a roadtrip from Las Vegas, NV (where my parents live) on Highway 1, along the California and Oregon Coast line. Now that, was amazing. Have fun!

Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine December 5, 2011

Looks like such a fun time. :) I live in Pasadena, which is only a couple of hours from San Diego. You’ve inspired me to take a weekend trip!

Marcie December 5, 2011

I’m going to SD on a work trip in February. I’m excited to hear where else you went so I can go too!

Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy December 5, 2011

Ah, how pretty! My fiance and I looking for honeymoon ideas for July 2012, so I’m getting ideas from your travels! If you have an ideas that are within a young couple’s budget, do share :).

Molly December 5, 2011

that wrap used to “wrap-up” your wrap (wow i used the word “wrap” a lot..) looks really interesting and almost crispy? was it a regular tortilla?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2011

oh that’s the paper they used to wrap it with! heh :)

gina (fitnessista) December 5, 2011

so crazy that we were in the exact same place a few weeks apart! please tell me you went to cups :)
hope you had a wonderful time <3
xoxo

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2011

I know eh? Sadly no we didnt make it to Cups…ran out of time!

Keven December 5, 2011

angela. have fun in san diego! I grew up in Coronado ( I miss it) and your pictures just made me jealous :) San Diego is the best. Theres a great vegeterian/vegan restaurant in Pacific beach called Isabels Cantina, if your in the area.

-Keven

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2011

Thanks Kevin! How neat that you grew up there. :) Thanks for the restaurant suggestion, I’ll have to check it out next time I’m in the area!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes December 5, 2011

So pretty! That wrap looks so yummy :)

Amanda December 5, 2011

You are making me crave a vacation. I think going from NYC to SD is an awesome balance between super busy/fast-paced and laid back, and both are spectacular in their own ways.

When I was living in San Francisco last year, I was shocked at how much more chill everyone was compared to Boston. I found it made me antsy after a while, but it’s lovely for a vacation. :)

Lia December 5, 2011

Bah! You’re soooo lucky! We’ve been wanting to check out socal forever and we live in the US. What is your means of getting miles? We don’t aseem to get many and wonder if we’re doing something wrong that is preventing us from have more adventures.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2011

We have air miles credit cards…that’s where it’s at!

Lizzie December 5, 2011

Ah Angela I am so jealous (in a good way of course!). NYC and California, lucky girl. I thought at first when I read “west” that you took a trip to Vancouver. Have you ever been there?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2011

Hey Lizzie, Nope we’ve never been, but would love to go someday.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 5, 2011

OMG everything looks so picturesque! I loved the harbour seals in San Francisco – they were one of my favourite parts of the trip. You guys really lucked out with the weather, it looks gorgeous! And oh my, all the food choices…. I think I’d need to stay for weeks!

Alyanna December 5, 2011

Hi Angela! I don’t know how long you two will be in San Diego but if you feel like getting your exercise in and explore some nature at the same time you should definitely check out Torrey Pines state park (gorgeous gorgeous views) or climb Cowles Mtn for a view of the entire city!! Wow that was a really long sentence… Enjoy San Diego!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2011

Thanks for the suggestion! We’re actually home now, but we’ll def check out the park next time (we only drove by it). Heard it was beautiful.

Sarah December 5, 2011

I just moved from the San Diego area in July and seeing your pictures made me miss it so much! I’m in DC now and hope to get back to San Diego in a few years. It is just always perfect there and you are right, everyone is pretty laid back. Enjoy your time there!

kate December 5, 2011

wow so jealous of this trip!! looks like you guys are having a great time. enjoy!! that wrap looked awesome.

Cait's Plate December 5, 2011

Ah!! I’ve been in that exact place! How great is Coronado Island?? I absolutely fell in love! Looks like you’re having such a blast! I’m so jealous!!

Samantha December 5, 2011

Hey Angela, I’m a long time reader, but I don’t think I’ve ever posted. I grew up in San Diego and wish I was down there today to take you two on an aerial sightseeing tour. I’m a pilot and San Diego is one of my favorite areas to fly around (Its where I learned to fly, afterall!). You would be amazed at the views and get some incredible photos! My boyfriend and I should trade places with you guys because we are itching to go north and fly up in Canada and Alaska. You miss on any “real” weather living in SoCal! Tough thing to complain about, I know :) Enjoy your trip!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2011

Hey Samantha, thanks for your comment! We’re home, but would have loved to meet up! Maybe next time :) I can imagine how great the views would be…we saw some while flying out and it was breathtaking.

Nicole December 5, 2011

I’m glad you’re enjoying San Diego!! I’m originally from the Northeast and have been living in San Diego for 2 years now and I love it here! It is definitely a change up from fast-paced East coast living (I’m from the NY area) and the weather is a MAJOR PLUS. And thanks for sharing your Lean & Green experience – I’ve never been there but will certainly try it out now that I know it’s here :)

Sonia (the Mexigarian) December 5, 2011

Ah! You’re in my old college town! UCSD in La Jolla. That’s where I met my Hubby. :) I LOVE it down there. I definitely suggest checking out Pacific Beach, Mission Beach, and Encinitas. Just drive up the coast and enjoy the sights! There are also plenty of trails and bike paths. I suggest Torrey Pines State Reserve Park, just on the coast, just north of UCSD and south of Del Mar. Beautiful views! Enjoy your stay in San Diego!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2011

Thanks Sonia! That’s cool you went to school there…Eric and I kept saying how we want to go back to school just so we can live there! ha
We drove along the coast and it was amazing…fell in love with every town we drove through.

Lauren @ HugsKissesNDishes December 5, 2011

Yay in my city! Hope you are enjoying yourself! Go check out Hillcrest if you have time, it is close to downtown and full of wonderful eats, and balboa park is a wonderful place for a picnic (there is a whole foods near it fyi)! Your pictures are gorgeous! Makes me want to leave work and enjoy the scenery.

Annie December 5, 2011

wow those pics are amazing! That beach looks like it’s absolutely gorgeous! and those seals :)) I’m in love :D I’m in europe and I’ve only been to nyc in the US but I definitely want to go to the west coast some time!

Jenny @ Simply Be...me December 5, 2011

I have had a love affair with California since I was in high school! I’ve been to San Diego and am dying to go back! Thanks for sharing :)

kaila @ healthyhelper December 5, 2011

WOAH…two trips in a row!?!?!! I wish I could go on vacation that much! NYC and San Diego are two of my fave places! Its funny because I have pics in all those same places in San Diego…I LOVE CORONADO!! So beautiful! Enjoy your time in the sun!

Jen December 5, 2011

you need to go to the restaurant called Spread. BEST vegan meal I have ever had!! Seriously though, you need to go

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2011

Where is it? We’re home, but I’ll keep it on my radar for next time.

Amber K December 5, 2011

I have seriously got to visit California! Especially since I live in Oregon, so it wouldn’t actually be that long of a trip. Just gotta find the money and time. Because that is just plain beautiful!

Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats December 5, 2011

Wow what a great vacation you’re on! My sister lives down in San Diego and I just visited her last month. If you’re looking for a great vegetarian/vegan friendly restaurant for breakfast you should definitely try The Mission!

Page 1 of 41234»