What To Do With Leftover Pie: Pumpkin Pie Breakfast Casserole

IMG 4759   What To Do With Leftover Pie: Pumpkin Pie Breakfast Casserole

If you’re like my family, you probably have some leftover pie after a big holiday meal. Or maybe you don’t because Uncle Joe got up at 2am, cleared the place out, and then blamed it on Scruffy! Poor Scruffy.

The next morning, no one really has the nerve to make the first move on the leftover pie. Some might declare, “Oh I simply couldn’t imagine eating pie right now!” grasping their stomach in embarrassment. Others nod in agreement, secretly wishing they would leave the room so they could have a slice for breakfast.

After my pumpkin pie testing, I was left with a lot of pie. Eric brought a bunch to work last week (frozen, so it wouldn’t turn to mush during his commute), but I was left with almost a full pie calling my name from the fridge. Having a pie in the fridge for no reason is like listening to an annoying, loud ticking clock; it can drive a person crazy after a while! Instead of picking away at it over the course of the week, I thought it would be fun to take the leftover pie and repurpose it into another recipe.

A recipe I could rationally eat for breakfast and not feel like a crazy person…

IMG 4756   What To Do With Leftover Pie: Pumpkin Pie Breakfast Casserole

[Click here for this delicious vegan and gluten-free pumpkin pie recipe!]

Pumpkin Pie in a brunch recipe sounds pretty crazy though, doesn’t it? I know, I know, but trust me on this one. The recipe didn’t turn out super sweet or overpowering for a morning meal. Because I didn’t make my pie filling super sweet, it actually works really well in a baked oatmeal recipe. It’s fluffy and super creamy thanks to the pumpkin filling interspersed throughout. My favourite part is getting a big hunk of pie and crust in the same gooey bite. It’s heaven! And it’s why this makes the perfect holiday brunch recipe.

Here’s how to turn your leftover pie into a brunch recipe your whole family can enjoy….might I say, it’s really easy as pie.

Grab your leftover pie and chop it up to make about two and a half cups. Your family will probably wonder if you’ve gone crazy, but just ignore them! They will see the light soon.

IMG 4760   What To Do With Leftover Pie: Pumpkin Pie Breakfast Casserole

Bite-sized pie is fun…real fun.

IMG 4754   What To Do With Leftover Pie: Pumpkin Pie Breakfast Casserole

I had a feeling that this would be a killer holiday brunch recipe and a great way to use up pie. Bonus points for you if you use my Vegan Pumpkin Pie with a Sweet and Salty Pecan Crust as that’s the version I used. I can hardly contain myself around it. The pecan crust was to die for in this breakfast casserole. Of course, you could use any flavour of pie you want. Apple pie would be really good too!

I mixed up my oatmeal ingredients: rolled oats, almond milk, ground flax, vanilla, spices, maple syrup, and baking powder. Just basic oatmeal stuff!

IMG 4758   What To Do With Leftover Pie: Pumpkin Pie Breakfast Casserole

and then I stirred in my chopped pumpkin pie to make it all chunky and wonderful…

IMG 4765   What To Do With Leftover Pie: Pumpkin Pie Breakfast Casserole

I spread it into a greased casserole dish and then crumbled a bit of pie on top for a “streusel”.

IMG 4767   What To Do With Leftover Pie: Pumpkin Pie Breakfast Casserole

Bake for 30 mins. at 375F.

And just like that, you have a drool-worthy pumpkin pie breakfast casserole to share with the entire family!

IMG 4775   What To Do With Leftover Pie: Pumpkin Pie Breakfast Casserole

Or hide it from your family. Yes, you might want to hide it.

IMG 4790   What To Do With Leftover Pie: Pumpkin Pie Breakfast Casserole

IMG 4784   What To Do With Leftover Pie: Pumpkin Pie Breakfast Casserole

I won’t tell you how crazy good this was. Or even how good it was the next morning eaten cold. Or how good this was as a post-run snack.

IMG 4789   What To Do With Leftover Pie: Pumpkin Pie Breakfast Casserole

I just had a cool idea for this recipe…it would probably be good if you stirred in some leftover canned pumpkin right into the oats before baking! *dies* why did I not think of this earlier? I have pumpkin to use up too. If you are going to stir in some canned pumpkin I would add about half a cup and then adjust the sweetness as desired since the pumpkin will make it a bit less sweet. Please let me know if you try that out!

By the way, I’ve created a page just for my vegan Thanksgiving recipesyou can check it out here. Have a happy, safe, and delicious Thanksgiving to my American readers!

Be sure to check back this week…I have some surprises up my sleeve!

Fiona November 24, 2011

I can’t believe how creative this is. Seriously – bravo! I love your blog because not only do you have appealing food and awesome photos but you are so honest and real too. I don’t comment often because there are usually so many comments already, but I just had to say that this really is super, super cool and I will definitely be trying it!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers November 24, 2011

What a great idea! Where did you come up with this one! Now I can make a pie today, I just didn’t know what to do with it, since it’s just my Husband and I, and we can’t eat a whole pie by ourselves, well maybe we can? I love bakes oatmeal pumpkin pie!! I need to save this recipe!

Irini November 24, 2011

you never cease to amaze! such a great idea! thank you!

LizAshlee November 24, 2011

Great idea…you are so creative!! Happy day! :)

Megan @foodiecycles November 24, 2011

OH MY- that looks so good! I hope I can snag some leftover pumpkin pie.. maybe I’ll make a single serving :) happy turkey day! gobble gobble..

kristen @ verbs and vignettes November 24, 2011

wowza. this is one of the most creative recipes i’ve ever seen! i might go buy extra pie for this; i don’t think my family would let me get my hands on my mama’s pies for oatmeal. i’ll win them over.

Allison November 24, 2011

Thanks for the recipe edit, I did make this pie, but the crust was burnt, sides and top! The inside was delicious though, I’m scraping it out the crust as I type! I think next time I will not pre bake the crust, I don’t mind the crumbliness of it, it also gets a blast in the oven when cooked with the filling. I will also add a bit of a sweetener to the crust, I found a creamy buttery taste was missing. Can’t wait to perfect it again and keep up the great work!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 24, 2011

So sorry to hear that Allison! Someone let me know this morning about the discrepancy and I changed it, although I’m sure too late for many…I will be sure to triple check things from now on. I got confused because my other crust pre-bakes at 425F. I hope if you try it again it works wonderfully baking at 350F as it did for me.

Cristina November 24, 2011

Hey Ang,

Just wanted to share that I started a 356 photo a day type blog on flickr and thought you might like to check it out.

Also, I’m curious to when yur gunna change the ‘season’ banner…..no pressure :D

PS: I’m the girl who sent the ‘Oprah-email’ :D

Cristina November 24, 2011

duh. didn’t include the Flickr link!!

VeggieGirl November 24, 2011

Happy vegan Thanksgiving to you! I had an amazing vegan/vegetarian potluck experience, feeling so blessed that we have so much to be thankful for in this cruelty free lifestyle :)

Joann@womaninreallife November 24, 2011

So imaginative! Fabulous idea.

Mara November 25, 2011

It’s way passed my bedtime and I’m looking at this post (probably for the 100th time, no joke) and I’d really like if you could FedEx a piece over here, pretty please, with coconut cream on top? I would like nothing more than a piece of that pumpkin pie right before I go to sleep. I can dream can’t I:-)
So, I decided to whip up the spicy butternut squash hummus and since I had extra squash, I made the butternut squash mac n cheese for the first time as well – both finger lickin’ good. Seriously! The flavours with the hummus have developed overnight and I couldn’t contain myself today. The mac n cheese could send me to rehab, so addicting! Thank you making our hearts and tummies so content (and healthy).

Crystal Limehouse November 25, 2011

Genius! We don’t have any left over pie, but we do have sweet potato casserole. Sweet potatoes, eggs, milk, brown sugar,vanilla, pecans, and oatmeal? yes.

Anne November 25, 2011

I think I will have to make a pumpkin pie just to make this for breakfast. LOL

Joy J November 25, 2011

I made your Pumpkin Pie casserole this morning and it was delicious! I added about 1/2 cup of pumpkin and just a little agave syrup. Perfect! I will definitely save this to make again next year!

Brittany November 25, 2011

I love this idea!!

Stephanie November 28, 2011

Oh yum! I am making this tonight. I just posted on brunch, as well…www.partydish.net. Enjoy!

Kathryn November 29, 2011

This is funny because I’d actually have to make several extra pies for there to be enough leftovers to make this. I have a pumpkin pie problem. One year when I was about 8 my sister made it and forgot to put the sugar in…I ate it anyway. A PROBLEM, I may seek help after the new year.

Ashley November 30, 2011

Brilliant idea!!

Kelly Duncan December 1, 2011

I was wondering why my piecrust came out very ‘rustic’ looking after prebaking it for only 10 minutes. I decided to put the foil around the crust before I put it back in the oven & it came out totally fine! Everyone thought it was delicious & as usual all were very skeptical at first. I can’t wait to try the breakfast casserole, now I have an excuse to make another pie!

Kristi December 4, 2011

Hi Angela!

Thanks for this recipe! I made your pumpkin pie yesterday and today I’m making the casserole to bring to work for a pot luck! I hope I can refrain from eating it until tomorrow!! :-) Thanks for the recipes!!

Chloe November 19, 2012

WOW , this looks so tasty , i cant belive i have only just seen this , :) yummy , i absolutly have to try this out . B.T.W im from england and my family just loves pumpkin pie .When they are widely avaliable at this time of year , we always take the oppertunities to make new and exciting meals out of pumpkin !

beachmama November 25, 2013

You are a genius! What a great idea, thanks so much!

Gina Glo February 10, 2014

Love this recipe!! I’ve made it twice so far, the first with exactly the same ingredients (only omited ginger) using pumpkin pie and about 1/2 -3/4 cup pumpkin, that I had leftover from making the pie. I drizzled maple syrup on top of that because it wasn’t quite sweet enough. Then this morning I made this again using pecan pie, and I used 1/3 cup amber agave nectar instead of maple syrup, omited ginger again, and didn’t save any pie for strudel topping- I made my own instead with graham cracker crumbs (about 3/4 cup), 2-3 T. butter and 2-3 T. brown sugar (I just eye-balled everything) – so so yummy! Thanks for this awesome idea!!

Page 3 of 3«123