Vegan Lasagna with Basil Cashew Cheeze

IMG 4185   Vegan Lasagna with Basil Cashew Cheeze

Are you feeling as well rested as I am today? I could seriously bounce off the walls right now and there isn’t a lick of caffeine in my body. Man, the extra hour is the best…aside from that whole getting dark earlier thing. That really put a wrinkle in my lasagna dinner photography plans last night!

Want to know a secret?

I’ve never made lasagna before! Not even before I became a vegan. Back then, the best thing I cooked was popcorn in my popcorn maker and frozen dinners.

Anyways, I always loved eating lasagna, but assumed it was super difficult to make. Well, it turns out that it’s not as bad as I imagined…like everything in life. (Thank you anxiety.) This lasagna was quite easy even for an experienced popcorn maker like myself. And if you’re a multi-tasker in the kitchen like I am things move along even quicker.

IMG 4187   Vegan Lasagna with Basil Cashew Cheeze

How do you make a vegan lasagna taste as good as its non-vegan counterpart?

Above all, it must have a creamy and cheese-like flavour. Most vegan lasagna recipes use a tofu-based “ricotta” cheese, but I wanted to try something different for my recipe. As a cheese replacer, I made a Lemon Basil Cashew Cheeze which I adapted from my Stuffed Portabella Pizza recipe. I absolutely loved it in this lasagna and it gave it a really luxurious creamy and cheesy flavour.

The first thing you do is make this cheeze spread in your food processor. I did this ahead of time and just kept it in a sealed container in the fridge until I was ready to make my lasagna.

IMG 4161   Vegan Lasagna with Basil Cashew Cheeze

I also saved time by using bottled pasta sauce (1.5 bottles), but you can make homemade marinara sauce if you prefer!

IMG 4150   Vegan Lasagna with Basil Cashew Cheeze

The next thing I did was sauté the vegetables. I chopped 1 sweet onion, 1 large red pepper, 2 small zucchini, 1 cup of cremini mushrooms, and minced 3 garlic cloves.

IMG 4145   Vegan Lasagna with Basil Cashew Cheeze

(I love the sunset light beaming into my kitchen at this time!)

While the vegetables are sautéing, you can boil your noodles. The best lasagna making tip that I can give you is to slightly undercook your lasagna noodles. I cooked mine for about 8 minutes and then quickly rinsed them with cold water. No one wants mushy noodles in a lasagna! I used Kamut noodles and they were very tasty.

IMG 4143   Vegan Lasagna with Basil Cashew Cheeze

Once that is done, it’s time to start layering your lasagna. I took step-by-step pictures to help guide you along the process. So yea…if you’re not taking a bazillion photos it should move along even quicker!

IMG 4158   Vegan Lasagna with Basil Cashew Cheeze IMG 4159   Vegan Lasagna with Basil Cashew Cheeze IMG 4164   Vegan Lasagna with Basil Cashew Cheeze

IMG 4165   Vegan Lasagna with Basil Cashew Cheeze IMG 4166   Vegan Lasagna with Basil Cashew Cheeze IMG 4169   Vegan Lasagna with Basil Cashew Cheeze

IMG 4170   Vegan Lasagna with Basil Cashew Cheeze IMG 4171   Vegan Lasagna with Basil Cashew Cheeze IMG 4172   Vegan Lasagna with Basil Cashew Cheeze

Tips:

• I used about 1 cup of pasta sauce on the bottom of the casserole dish.
  • Use half of your basil cheeze for the 1st layer and the rest for the second layer. Ditto for the vegetables!
  • You can add as much or as little cheese on top as you prefer. I think I used about 1 cup?

IMG 4173   Vegan Lasagna with Basil Cashew Cheeze

At this point you can wrap it up and put it in the fridge until you are ready to cook it, or you can bake it right away like I did.

After layering, bake in the oven, covered with tin foil, for 40-45 minutes at 400F and then remove the tinfoil and broil it over medium heat for about 4-5 minutes, watching closely.

IMG 4177   Vegan Lasagna with Basil Cashew Cheeze

That wasn’t so bad, right?

We also have a ton of leftovers to enjoy for lunches all week long!

Would I change anything next time?

The only thing I would add next time is to crumble a couple of my favourite Amy’s California burgers (pre-cooked?) onto a layer of the lasagna. I think that would give it a great “ground-beef” like texture. Otherwise, I wouldn’t change a thing!

We both gobbled up two big pieces and Eric packed some for his lunch today. I’d say it was a success!

IMG 4179   Vegan Lasagna with Basil Cashew Cheeze

IMG 4202   Vegan Lasagna with Basil Cashew Cheeze

Drool.

Now, my mind is swirling with a seasonal lasagna recipe like pumpkin or squash lasagna. I think that would be really good!

Don’t forget, today is the last day to enter my giveaway!

Aine @ Something to Chew Over November 7, 2011

This looks so good! Perfect for the dark cold nights :)

And I love your cheeze idea!

Faith @ For the Health of It November 7, 2011

Cashew cheese has been rocking my world lately – especially with homemade ravioli! I’ve been drooling every time the word “cashew” is mentioned – you better believe I’ll be making this next week.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 7, 2011

Oooh this sounds so good Ange! The basil cashew cheeze sauce sounds like something I’d definitely use as a spread and dip for everything – a bit like hummus! I haven’t made lasagna in so long but my mum used to make it all the time – she’s definitely not a cook by any stretch of the imagination (and she will openly admit to that!) so I knew it couldn’t be too hard. You’ve got me hungry for lunch and it’s only 10:45! :)

Britt @ Run With Britt November 7, 2011

Thank you so much for the recipie! It’s like you read my mind. I’ve been looking for a good pasta dish to make for my carbo load before my marathon on Sunday. :) Thank you for saving me time from having to google a recipie!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning November 7, 2011

Angela- I was “re” introduced to your blog last night from a friend that brought a recipe of yours to my potluck yesterday. I forgot how much I loved it when I first started reading it a while ago!
This recipe looks SO good! I was actually planning on making lasagna tonight, and you mentioning pumpkin and squash has by head in a frenzy! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 7, 2011

Thanks Lauren!

The Purple Carrot November 7, 2011

Looks delicious to me!

SallyH November 7, 2011

Is there a nut that would be good to use instead of cashews? I’ve made a few cashew sauces and my husband feels like maybe he has a bit of an allergy because they don’t sit right with him.

Danielle @ Dish'n'Dash November 7, 2011

what if you tried almonds? Mama Pea (Peas and Thank You) has a great recipe – Mmmm sauce – she makes with almonds and chickpeas. Tasty and highly addictive!

SallyH November 11, 2011

That’s a great idea! Thanks.

Danielle @ Dish'n'Dash November 7, 2011

This looks fantastic! Hopefully I can try it out soon. One of my family’s tradition is to have my mom’s lasagna at holiday gatherings (Thanksgiving and Christmas, usually) and I haven’t been able to eat it for a long time because of being lactose intolerant. I’ve been looking for an alternative and this may be it!

Cait's Plate November 7, 2011

Oh my that just looks heavenly and perfect comfort food for these cooler temps!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table November 7, 2011

I can’t believe you’ve never made lasagna until now! Looks like you made up for lost time though! :) Great idea adding the veggie burger crumbles.

When I use jarred marinara sauce I typically heat it in a pan and add some flavor to it like garlic, red pepper flakes, sauteed onions, etc. It is a fast way to improves the taste!

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day November 7, 2011

I have a killer pumpkin sage lasagna I used to make for a restaurant I worked in.. (actually, I made lots of different lasagnas for the restaurant as clean out the leftovers.. so good!).. this looks great!

Kate November 7, 2011

yum I love lasagna and the basil cheeze sauce sounds amazing !

Sarah November 7, 2011

This looks great!
One minor correction – daylight savings is over, it starts in the spring but in the fall we return to Eastern Standard Time.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 7, 2011

That makes sense!

Nico November 7, 2011

This is a really interesting idea! I have been working on a dairy-free lasagna for my lactose intolerant boyfriend which involves a very tasty white bean sauce. Totally creamy and delicious, but not the prettiest dish yet … I am so intrigued by using cashews in place of dairy, but I still haven’t tried it.

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh November 7, 2011

Wow!! That looks SOOO great and I love the different flavors I never would’ve thought to put together! Well done for not just a first time but any time!

tweal November 7, 2011

Looks and sounds delicious Angela! Lasagna was one of the first things I learned to cook as a young adult living on my own, and I too was impressed with how much easier it was to make than I thought it would be. I also like using faux cheeses to make vegan lasagna really creamy and delicious. And pesto is a nice touch in lasagna too.

Ami @ parsnips and pears November 7, 2011

yum! I <3 lasagna! I'm also excited that your recipe doesn't have eggplant… my husband HATES eggplant and I find most veggie lasagna recipes list it.

PS I looove that PC sauce :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 7, 2011

It’s great isn’t it? One of our favs…

Christina November 7, 2011

Lasagna and baked ziti are two things that I grew up loving! They’re so fattening though so I always tried to stay away from them, well as an adult. Now that we’re trying to eat more vegan based meals at home I made a tofu based vegetarian lasagna and it was delicious. Soy makes me a little bloated so this is a great alternative! Your cookbook is going to be amazing!

Rhona November 7, 2011

Drool worthy indeed! That cheese looks so comforting and soothing. I have saved this recipe to try at a later date. Thanks again Angela for the wonderful recipe.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen November 7, 2011

I want to make that cheeze sauce right now even if it’s not going on lasagna. I think I could spread that on anything and be happy!

Amanda November 7, 2011

This lasagna looks fabulous! Growing up, my mom would make a really yummy vegetarian lasagna with tofu, but I’m very interested to try your cashew-based cheeze sauce.

Also, I love the pops of purple in your photos! Beautiful contrast with the lasagna. :)

Heather November 7, 2011

It looks great! Any suggestions on substitutions? I cannot do lemon or tomatoes!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 7, 2011

What about a pesto instead of tomato sauce?
Instead of lemon? Maybe a tiny bit of apple cider vinegar (but really not sure how that would taste…I would add it gradually!)

Sabrina November 7, 2011

Actually In Italy we dont use any tomatoes in Lasagna. You wouldn’t even recognize Lasagna the way it was intended. :D

Carolyn @ HealthKitten.com November 7, 2011

Looking good, Angela!! :)

I might add some TVP to the mix, but otherwise it looks AMAZING!

For a butternut squash version, this recipe is AMAZING: Vegetable Lasagna with Butternut Béchamel The squash takes place of the ricotta and the addition of mushrooms and chard (I used kale) makes it so hearty while staying vegetarian. It’s making me drool thinking about it! ;)

I’m sure with your wizardry you can easily make this vegan!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 7, 2011

Nice :) Thanks for the link!

Amy November 7, 2011

I finally perfected a veggie lasagna that my whole family likes but this looks awesome too!

Brooke November 7, 2011

I can’t breathe. I’m looking at this all and can.not.breathe.

Or maybe I’m hyperventilating?

I can’t tell. I just know I have to have Lemon Basil Cashew Cheese yesterday. Twice. Forever.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 7, 2011

:) enjoy!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} November 7, 2011

Great job on your first lasagna attempt! The lemon basil cashew cheese looks like a perfect stand-in for the traditional cheese and MUCH better than the standard tofu-based cheese. Bleh.

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit November 7, 2011

So I saw this on pinterest and I was like “whoa, amazing! This looks so good!” Then I clicked on the link and was brought here. These photos are different than what you normally do… something is different… is that a new white table? I LOVE it! And the light from everywhere, do awesome.
I’ve been craving lasagna something fierce over the last couple of days. Good on you for trying it for the first time :)

char @ char on a mission November 7, 2011

I thought the same thing! It must be the white table!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 7, 2011

Wow you guys have a keen eye! I actually made a table top and I will be showing a tutorial on the blog soon (it’s actually only in the initial stages right now), so I hope it works out. I’m going to antique it…

Lindsay @CookVeganLover November 7, 2011

This looks amazing! I have been craving lasagne and now I want to go make this!

char @ char on a mission November 7, 2011

I made lasagna last night, too! But mine was not nearly as pretty or creative as yours…and not as cheesy. Which is why I should give the basil cashew cheeze a go! Daylight savings is the best. Although, I’m still secretly in my head going by the hour difference…as in “well, it WOULD still be noon if we didn’t change the clock back, so eating chocolate is ok.” :D

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 7, 2011

haha I do that too.

char @ char on a mission November 7, 2011

I also made my lasagna with rice noodles instead, but I regretted not grabbing the kamut instead and now I’m further regretting not grabbing them!

Antonia November 7, 2011

I love lasagne and your version looks delicious!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes November 7, 2011

I seriously cannot wait to try this! I love it :)

Angela November 7, 2011

I love lasagna. It was the first meal that made me feel like a proper grown up cooking dinner after I moved away from home. I think it was because it involved using pans AND the oven!

kathleen @ the daily crumb November 7, 2011

yummm… this looks fantastic. i’m not vegan, but trying to reduce my meat and dairy intake. can’t wait to try this!!

Carly November 7, 2011

Mmm that looks fantastic! When I can eat gluten again I am definitely going to try it (please pray that I can eat gluten again haha).

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn November 7, 2011

Swooning.

Nikki T November 7, 2011

Funny, I made lasagna for the first time this past week also!!
I even served it to company!

rachel November 7, 2011

i love the look of that cashew cheeze. i need to make myself a lasagna to bring to my parents’ house this weekend and i think i’ll be using that instead of tofu ;) thanks for the inspiration!

Moni'sMeals November 7, 2011

This looks just sooooo good! I have never had vegan lasagna and from the looks of it, I must as soon as I can. STILL have not tried Daiya yet either, geesh. ;)

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com November 7, 2011

I love vegan cashew and poppy seed cream with my foods recently. Perfect sauce for lasagna’s, pastas or even in non-vegetarian dishes :)

katie@ KatieDid November 7, 2011

mmm nice job with this, it looks so vibrant and healthy- something I usually wouldn’t call lasagna ;) The step by step photos are gorgeous and give a great visual guide too.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 7, 2011