Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic Bread

IMG 4015   Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic Bread

Imagine this scene:

IMG 1709   Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic BreadLast night, Eric and I got dressed up (me as the Queen of Hearts, him as the Scream character) and we stuffed 40 treat bags for the trick or treaters. They were bursting with candy and small toys like leap frogs and mini games.

Last year we got around 20 kids, so we doubled the quantity in case there was an influx of kids. We did it up!

Halloween music was pumping through the upstairs window and our black light was flashing. A mild headache ensued.

My poufy sleeves really started to itch my arms, but I persisted on and had another sip of my spiked cider. Eric said he couldn’t breathe through his mask, removing it every once and a while to gasp for air. No biggie.

Then we waited.

And you know what? Not one kid came to our door!!!

What has the world come to these days? Are there no kids trick or treating anymore? It was like a ghost town out there.

Needless to say, Eric’s coworkers will be overjoyed when they see all the treat bags he’s brought them today. I don’t think anyone is getting much work done today, unless buzzing around the office on a sugar high and playing leap frog counts.

Luckily, we had this soup to comfort us last night. The Queen of Hearts and Scream characters sat at the table and enjoyed a delicious bowl of soup and crispy garlic bread. Sometimes that’s all you need!

IMG 4020   Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic Bread

I’ve made this soup twice in one week and the second time I doubled the recipe after deeming the first version produced too little soup (I posted the doubled recipe below). If you’re a mushroom fan, you will go crazy for this “meaty” and ultra hearty soup. It honestly makes me drool to look at these pictures because I love it so much. Normal, right?

Sauté some garlic and onion for about 5 minutes. [Don’t all amazing recipes start this way?] Then add in your sliced mushrooms and cook it down for about 15-20 minutes.

IMG 3984   Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic Bread

Meanwhile, cook some millet in a pot. Quinoa would also work nicely too.

Add your broth & seasonings and simmer for about 5 more minutes.

IMG 38281   Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic Bread IMG 3825   Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic Bread

At this point, I scooped half of my soup into the blender and processed it until lightly smooth. Then I poured this mixture back into the pot with the remaining soup. I loved this method because it thickens up the soup very nicely, but still left big mushroom pieces to bite into! Of course, if you have a hand held immersion blender that would work even better (a food processor would work too), but be sure to leave it chunky for the best texture.

Now, stir in the cooked millet. This thickens it up nicely too.

IMG 3992   Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic Bread

And you’re done!

IMG 3993   Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic Bread

Feel free to spoon into mason jars for portable work lunches.

IMG 4026   Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic Bread

I also made some Cheezy garlic bread based off a recipe in Eat, Drink, & Be Vegan.

IMG 3990   Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic Bread

To make:

• Slice a baguette in half
  • Peel a garlic clove and cut it in half and rub the garlic all over the bread. This helps infuse the garlic flavour into the bread without it being overpowering. You can also use garlic powder or garlic salt.
  • Spread on some Earth Balance or other non-dairy spread.
  • Followed by a sprinkle of nutritional yeast (for the cheezy flavour) and kosher salt
  • Bake at 350F for about 14-15 minutes until crispy and golden. Slice & serve warm!

This was amazing!

IMG 3995   Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic Bread

I don’t even want to tell you how many pieces I had. I think I ploughed through a quarter of the baguette! Why are baguettes so insanely good?

IMG 4025   Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic Bread

By the way, my tests came back normal so gluten is here to stay. I’ll be talking about this more in a future post though.

IMG 4009   Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic Bread

IMG 4023   Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic Bread

Late last night, we headed out for our evening walk. A nice older lady who lives down the street had made a cute Halloween display for the kids at the end of her driveway. There was a sign taped to a haystack that read “Please help yourself to the candy!”, but no candy to be found.

We walked down the road a bit and there was a RACCOON with her bowl of candy happily munching away on a Snickers bar in front of her yard.

At least, someone’s enjoying Halloween!

Natasha Kay November 6, 2011

FYI the mushrooms are missing from the recipe instructions!

Making it now!! Looks yummy! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 6, 2011

whoops added it in!

sal November 7, 2011

Made this for dinner tonight – it came together quickly and tasted delicious! Perfect soup for fall. I added some chickpeas and kale, and sprinkled some nutritional yeast on top (because, doesn’t that make everything taste better?). Thanks for the recipe!

Kacie November 7, 2011

Made the soup tonight for dinner.. I used a mixture of quinoa and millet since I only had a little millet left. It’s delicious! Thanks for the recipe!

Nikita November 12, 2011

Angela, I just want you to know that you are one of the biggest influences on the weekly meal plans I put together! Recently a friend asked for some healthy dinner ideas and I referred her to your site :)
Anyhow, recent successes have been both the butternut and pumpkin mac-n-”cheese” and this soup. Both husband approved, which is seriously an accomplishment for vegan food! I wanted to note that I added about half a cup of white beans to the soup that I pureed and it was a great way to add some richness and protein without adding a lot of fat. I got the idea from your protein mashed potatoes, which I converted to a high protein potato soup.
Thanks for all you do, you are appreciated!

Nicole November 12, 2011

I’m in the process of making this right now and just wanted to let you know that the mushrooms are still missing from the printable version of the instructions. Thanks for the recipe – your blog is always a go-to for delicious healthy dishes!

Colleen Green November 12, 2011

Honestly, I cannot thank you enough for your website! A friend turned me on to it and I have made about 7 things in the last two weeks and have LOVED each of them! I’m trying so hard to eat healthy and still tasty, and practicing recipes while my husband is deployed so that I have several yummy (and healthy) meals for when he returns. Your website is making that very fun for me!! My most recent: Mushroom Millet Soup – delicious!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 13, 2011

Thank you Colleen!

Shannon November 19, 2011

So delicious! I had meant to make this sooner, but finally got home where my family is happy to buy ingredients in exchange for a meal :) Oddly enough, I added a splash of balsamic vinegar to the soup at the end and it was the perfect flavor addition to the mushrooms! Keep posting, I love your recipes!

staci November 20, 2011

Just made this! Fantastic!! It was just what we needed to start off Thanksgiving week with something healthy. Thanks!

Megan December 14, 2011

Just made this for a vegan friend who has a new baby! Yummy!

Gracielou September 23, 2012

Hey missy! I know this is an old post but I hope you check it…

I was wondering what kind of herbs you had in your soup, it looks a bit like parsley or cilantro or something. Just outta curiosity…

Also, I have been following you since like January I think? I love your site, I think you’re an amazing person. I love that you make pretty much everything from scratch, because it seems hard to find sites that have people that do that, in the vegan sense that is. :) I have so many weird allergies, it really helps to have sites that omit so many of them. I feel like I’m rambling, but I seriously think you’re amazing, thank you so much for being you! and having a blog!

much love from oregon,
Gracielou

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 25, 2012

Thank you! :) Im so glad to hear that.
I think if I remember correctly I used parsley :)

Shannon December 4, 2012

Angela, I made this soup last week for my boyfriend and we both LOVED it! I used quinoa instead of millet (just because I had it in the cupboard), but otherwise I followed the recipe exactly and it came out perfectly – earthy & delicious. It was almost better on the second day. This is the second soup of yours that I have fallen in love with – (also a huge fan of your Holiday Soup for the Soul!) – your recipes are very precise and reliable – thanks! And PS to all Toronto shoppers, you can find Wizard Worchesteshire sauce at Fiesta Farms! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2012

Thank you Shannon! Im so happy to hear this :)

Margaret January 28, 2013

Wanted to let you know that I made this soup the other night for a potluck and it was a huge hit! I used Braggs Aminos instead of Worchesteshire sauce, since it had that around. I added in a tablespoon or so of dried Rosemary. I thought the rosemary went really well with the mushrooms, it was amazing! A great way to use millet and ideal for my friend who is gluten-free. :)

Melissa February 13, 2013

I made this soup for dinner tonight and it was DEEEElicious!!!! Can’t wait to eat more tomorrow. Thanks for all your great recipes….. I’ve made lots of them and am totally hooked on multiple things from your site!!!!

Desiree March 1, 2013

Hey Angela, after trying this soup last night I felt it NECESSARY to share this with you! I FREAKIN’ LOVE your blog!! (oops sorry I got really excited). My hubby and me have made the decision to transition our family to vegan foods and while there are many good sites with great recipes YOU have been my MAINSTAY go to! EVERYTHING I’ve tried here has been well received and even my man…*who has an appreciation for animal* lol and family, he has NEVER missed meat when I’ve prepared your meals. You have made this transistion so much easier and TASTIER.I practically live on your Green Monster (banana free) Smoothie, and found out how to cook millet (rather than serving raw millet meatballs to my family, who were gracious enough to eat them and asked that I NEVER make those again, because as my hubby told me “we are not canary’s” HA!) I didn’t want to fall into the tofu-trap and you have helped me stay pretty clear of it to date. Its also nice cuz you’re local, we’re in Brampton and so it feels like I have a vegan friend on the web who lives in the same province at least. After every meal my husband says to me: “you should become friends with this girl so she can teach you EVERYTHING you need to know about being vegan…I mean she’s practically our neighbour” ANYway…all that to say, huge thank you and honestly, if the world we live in wasn’t such a weird one…we could probably for real, be friends but I am quite happy to have your blog as my buddy for now! LOL warm virtual hugs and thanks from this newbie-vegan

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 1, 2013

Hi Desiree! Oh my gosh, you are so sweet! Thank you for your lovely words. :) Seriously made my day. I would love to meet you – do you mind if I put you on our meet up email list? Maybe you can make it out to the next one (which in all likelihood won’t be until the summer when things die down on my end) I hope you keep enjoying the recipes and thank you for trying them! All my best, Angela

Trish September 17, 2013

This is a wonderful soup! Thank you so much for posting it. I made this 2 days ago and am going to make more today. My husband also loved this soup. I enjoy your web site and often find recipes that I like. And the photos are so good too. I do enjoy them as well. Thanks again.

Finkstein January 23, 2014

I’ve just made this! It is ace, really delicious! I didn’t have any worcester sauce, nor did I add a soup cube; instead I added hyssop and a herby salt plus himalayan salt to taste (and black pepper). Bloody marvellous!!! :D

Shawn February 14, 2014

I’ve made this soup twice already and wow! Love this stuff. It last about two days and I’m left longing for another batch. Thanks for the great recipe.

Page 5 of 5«12345