Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic Bread

IMG 4015   Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic Bread

Imagine this scene:

IMG 1709   Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic BreadLast night, Eric and I got dressed up (me as the Queen of Hearts, him as the Scream character) and we stuffed 40 treat bags for the trick or treaters. They were bursting with candy and small toys like leap frogs and mini games.

Last year we got around 20 kids, so we doubled the quantity in case there was an influx of kids. We did it up!

Halloween music was pumping through the upstairs window and our black light was flashing. A mild headache ensued.

My poufy sleeves really started to itch my arms, but I persisted on and had another sip of my spiked cider. Eric said he couldn’t breathe through his mask, removing it every once and a while to gasp for air. No biggie.

Then we waited.

And you know what? Not one kid came to our door!!!

What has the world come to these days? Are there no kids trick or treating anymore? It was like a ghost town out there.

Needless to say, Eric’s coworkers will be overjoyed when they see all the treat bags he’s brought them today. I don’t think anyone is getting much work done today, unless buzzing around the office on a sugar high and playing leap frog counts.

Luckily, we had this soup to comfort us last night. The Queen of Hearts and Scream characters sat at the table and enjoyed a delicious bowl of soup and crispy garlic bread. Sometimes that’s all you need!

IMG 4020   Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic Bread

I’ve made this soup twice in one week and the second time I doubled the recipe after deeming the first version produced too little soup (I posted the doubled recipe below). If you’re a mushroom fan, you will go crazy for this “meaty” and ultra hearty soup. It honestly makes me drool to look at these pictures because I love it so much. Normal, right?

Sauté some garlic and onion for about 5 minutes. [Don’t all amazing recipes start this way?] Then add in your sliced mushrooms and cook it down for about 15-20 minutes.

IMG 3984   Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic Bread

Meanwhile, cook some millet in a pot. Quinoa would also work nicely too.

Add your broth & seasonings and simmer for about 5 more minutes.

IMG 38281   Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic Bread IMG 3825   Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic Bread

At this point, I scooped half of my soup into the blender and processed it until lightly smooth. Then I poured this mixture back into the pot with the remaining soup. I loved this method because it thickens up the soup very nicely, but still left big mushroom pieces to bite into! Of course, if you have a hand held immersion blender that would work even better (a food processor would work too), but be sure to leave it chunky for the best texture.

Now, stir in the cooked millet. This thickens it up nicely too.

IMG 3992   Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic Bread

And you’re done!

IMG 3993   Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic Bread

Feel free to spoon into mason jars for portable work lunches.

IMG 4026   Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic Bread

I also made some Cheezy garlic bread based off a recipe in Eat, Drink, & Be Vegan.

IMG 3990   Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic Bread

To make:

• Slice a baguette in half
  • Peel a garlic clove and cut it in half and rub the garlic all over the bread. This helps infuse the garlic flavour into the bread without it being overpowering. You can also use garlic powder or garlic salt.
  • Spread on some Earth Balance or other non-dairy spread.
  • Followed by a sprinkle of nutritional yeast (for the cheezy flavour) and kosher salt
  • Bake at 350F for about 14-15 minutes until crispy and golden. Slice & serve warm!

This was amazing!

IMG 3995   Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic Bread

I don’t even want to tell you how many pieces I had. I think I ploughed through a quarter of the baguette! Why are baguettes so insanely good?

IMG 4025   Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic Bread

By the way, my tests came back normal so gluten is here to stay. I’ll be talking about this more in a future post though.

IMG 4009   Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic Bread

IMG 4023   Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic Bread

Late last night, we headed out for our evening walk. A nice older lady who lives down the street had made a cute Halloween display for the kids at the end of her driveway. There was a sign taped to a haystack that read “Please help yourself to the candy!”, but no candy to be found.

We walked down the road a bit and there was a RACCOON with her bowl of candy happily munching away on a Snickers bar in front of her yard.

At least, someone’s enjoying Halloween!

Miriam @ Sometimes I Veg November 2, 2011

I did high school in a “nicer” area of St. Catharines, ON between a “low income” area and a rural area. Halloween night usually involved hundreds of children (and mini-vans parked all along the road). I had a hard time identifying the kids we actually knew.

Now I live in a very rural part of New Hampshire, in the 4 Halloweens we have been here, I have never seen a single trick or treater. I don’t even try anymore. I have some candy stashed away that we can give kids that might show up, but it’s unlikely. And this year, with a foot of snow on the ground and no power in many of my neighbour’s houses, I didn’t expect any.

Alyssa (Down To Earth) November 2, 2011

Super cute costume! That’s too bad about no trick-or-treaters…I grew up in an area where the houses were too far apart to go trick-or-treating – my parents always carted us into the suburbs. I have a feeling, when i finally get my own place, it’ll be the same situation. You could save the toys for next year!
PS: your soup looks so tasty!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers November 2, 2011

The Cheezy Garlic bread looks so good!!! I have been bread free for a like two days and I could so go for a gooey, cheesy crust bread right now!!!

Alison November 2, 2011

Live in Bristol in the UK and just found your fab site, linked from Wild Onions. Terrific recipes. Originally come from Dublin in Ireland and Halloween was always a really big thing and great fun. When my family visited Ireland in school hols over Halloween, my two girls had a great time dressing up and visiting the most amazingly generous neighbours where we were staying (we had lots of lovely little visitors ourselves). My grown up girls still talk very fondly about their Halloween outings!

Heather @ For the Love of Kale November 2, 2011

Aww, I’m sorry you didn’t have any trick-or-treaters, Angela. At least you had garlic bread. ;-)

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh November 2, 2011

You weren’t the only one with no trick or treaters, we haven’t had one in six years and I mean that the last time we had one, it was one lone trick or treater. We live in what I would consider a prime spot too so oh well, more Nerds for us! ;-)

This soup looks so yummy and it’ll give me an excuse to go to Whole Foods to pick up some bulk millet!

nuttmegs17 November 2, 2011

I’m not sure what tests you had to test for gluten, but PLEASE proceed cautiously, it’s insane how many false negatives are associated with celiac and gluten intolerance. The best bet is elimination. If you continue to feel better and have gluten then great. if you went as far as a biopsy, just remember that your intestine is about 6 feet long and docs generally only take about 4 samples so chances are great they might have missed the part of the intestines that was under stress. If it’s blood testing, you have to think about the ranges…if you showed up at all you have a gluten allery, however most blood tests read as >30 or whatever….so it wont even tell you if you are say, 29 on the scale. There’s lot to be considered so please keep that in mind! There’s also more than one blood test to take. I was diagnosed at an adule celiac center and they told me these things. Can’t wait to read your post!

suzanne November 2, 2011

Sorry you had no trick or treaters …it does seem that many kids are going to specific areas – planned Halloween parties, condensed neighborhoods…We live in a very small town and had a ‘trunk or treat’ – people decorate their trunks and park in the school lot and kids go from car to car – then to the one little neighborhood that is across the street from there. Otherwise – all houses are too spread out. It felt strange for us as my boyz went on their own with friends – just checking in with me at the trunk or treat. This was a first – they are getting so old!
I love your costume! ..and of course can’t wait to make the soup – think I will make it next time my mom visits as she is a mushroom fan!

Morgan @ Life After Bagels November 2, 2011

ah so much to say

1. THANK YOU for introducing me to nutritional yeast, I’m a week in and loving it … my surgeon will be happy that I’m pretty much off all dairy

2. honestly what makes baguettes so good you’re right … every time we buy one I try to save half of it for the next day or leftovers but somehow Brad convinces me that we should eat the whole thing

3. last year I dressed up in my ninja turtle costume and stood on the porch waiting for kids, none came, so then I started walking up and down the street wondering where they were … Brad told me to come in and stop hooking for trick or treaters … this year I had class and Brad said no one came to the door again :(

Caren November 2, 2011

I am a lurker finally weighing in! Your blog is one of my faves. I drool over some of your desserts but it’s your VOO that has become a standard with me. This soup has my name on it, I’m sure of that but I don’t think we have vegan Worchester Sauce here in Israel. What can I use instead?

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 2, 2011

soy sauce?

Casi Leigh November 3, 2011

Just an FYI, tried it tonight with the soy sauce Ange suggested plus two teaspoons of vegan liquid smoke and it did the trick beautifully.

Zestful Lou November 2, 2011

I’m sitting at my desk waiting for my student’s to arrive and DROOLING over the pictures of this soup! It’s so cold in my classroom right now.

I also want to make this cheezy garlic bread and live off of it for all eternity.

Tichina November 2, 2011

Your costume is adorable!! :) And don’t fret, there was a major storm the night of Halloween here in Newfoundland (high winds etc… I actually blew away into the street earlier on in the day!) so we only had a few brave souls come out for candy too. :(

Angela Bonnell November 2, 2011

Hi Angela
When do you add the mushrooms? Do you saute them with the onions? This recipe looks amazing, I’m going to make it for dinner tonight:)

Angela Bonnell November 2, 2011

I should have looked back at the photos. Nevermind:)

Charissa @ TwinTaste November 2, 2011

Oh my gosh! I’m making this today. Yum!

My sister and I always make our bread into garlic bread for basically every meal. Even slices for sandwiches taste great! A little Italian seasoning tastes great on it too. It’s like, once you’re hooked, there’s no better way! :)

Christine November 2, 2011

This looks delish! I might have to make it tomorrow!

Sarah November 2, 2011

That cheesy bread looks so good! Love the costume too :)

Lauren (PB&G) November 2, 2011

Wow.. that soup looks phenomenal! I’m a mushroom freak and I just can’t get enough! I’ll have to try out this recipe sometime soon!

Love the costume, by the way! Too bad no trick-or-treaters got to see it.. =(

Ashlyn Bergman November 2, 2011

I made the soup last night and it was delicious!! I used quinoa instead of millet and I added kale and bokchoy. Yummy goodness!!

Mai November 2, 2011

What a great idea to try earth balance + nutritional yeast!

Jessica November 2, 2011

made this last night…i added chicken (SHAME) for the soon to be husband…we loved it…hes not feeling well it hit the spot

Jenny | Floppycats.com November 2, 2011

I am going to try this with kale as Ashlyn suggested. I will also use quinoa – sounds delicious – although mushrooms really give me bad gas – i love them so but sometimes the gas is annoying!

beetred November 2, 2011

This soup looks delicious! Is millet like bulgur (not sure if I’m spelling that right)? It looks like cous cous a little bit.

Mary November 2, 2011

Angela,

Greetings from the Heartland-from Bellevue, Nebraska. It is a cold and dreary day with rain and thick snowflakes falling- the kind of day that screams let’s make soup. I am a 22 year old student and have been a long time follower of your blog(read-lurker) and I just had to come out of the woodworks for this recipe. I whipped up a half batch using a cup and a half of sweet onion, a shallot, quinoa, and half white button mushrooms and half baby portobellos since that’s what I had available. My mom and I just sat down to enjoy this…and oh my goodness, Angela. My mom says it’s better than ANY mushroom soup she’s had at a five star restaurant. I didn’t say anything because I’m too busy enjoying this little bowl of heaven. Thank you so much for this wonderful recipe, I know I’ll be using it over and over again.

Your blog is a daily source of support and inspiration, I look forward and cherish every post. Thanks again, Angela.

-Mary

julie November 2, 2011

hi angela! made this soup last night and it was my absolute FAVORITE soup i’ve ever made! I am the hugest mushroom fan ever so used mushroom bouillon for the base…. just glorious. sprinkled thyme on the top. just wanted to let you know that when you hit “print recipe” it lists the first step as “heat oven to 350″ and then doesn’t list when to add the mushrooms. i had the blog up so wasn’t a problem, but just for future printers out there….

thanks for your daily inspiration and a place that has helped me renovate my eating over the past year!

Hannah November 2, 2011

I am making this soup as we speak as it looked so delicious :)

Desi November 2, 2011

I made the soup and the garlic bread yesterday for myself and my sick fiancée- not only did it make a nourishing, quick and delicious dinner, but it also made an excellent lunch. :) Thanks!

VeggieGirl November 2, 2011

Oooh yum! I’ve been making your pumpkin mac and cheese sauce and putting it on everything, including quiona and veggies- it really dresses up healthy boiled veggies into something delish! I hadnt thought of nutritional yeast as being ‘cheesy’ before, but after that recipe its been my cheese substitute in lots of dishes!

Shelley November 2, 2011

Making this for dinner tonight – sounds delicious! I think there’s a step missing in the directions though – at what step do you add the mushrooms??!

debra ford November 2, 2011

I made this soup this evening and loved it! Even my 16yr stepson who usually lives on pizza liked it and ate it. My husband loved it too. Enough left over for tomorrow-yeah! Will make the Maple Pumpkin Baked Beans friday night, but will use GF bisquick instead of cornbread as I can’t eat corn. I am so excited by your blog-have changed to 90% vegan after reading your blog-cooking alot more and want to be healthy. Thanks so much!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) November 3, 2011

That soup looks super comforting – and I LOVE mushrooms, and think that there are not enough soups out there with mushrooms in them.

I cannot believe that no one came to your door – that is insane!

Lungs November 3, 2011

I made this last night with quinoa to pack up for lunches – a few tastes confirmed that it will be a delicious and wonderful lunch! (Not surprising; your recipes consisently deliver.)

I did notice a couple of ‘quirks’ of the printable recipe, though: there is an unecessary oven pre-heating step and you’ve omitted mentioning adding the mushrooms.

Jody November 3, 2011

Hey Angela,

Well, this soup looks amazing and I was thinking about trying it with cauliflower “rice” instead of the Millet ..thoughts? I really am looking forward to trying this, and I think it could be an awesome Thanksgiving Dinner appetizer~ really enjoy your recipes and blogs…have a great day :)

Barbara dePater November 3, 2011

I have tried many of your recipes as I am very passionate about healthy eating. I also happen to work for a company that shells flax. I thought as a thank you I would like to provide you with a package of our delicious flax which you don’t need to grind and you don’t have to keep it in the fridge! It is also 100% Canadian. :)
Best Regards and keep up the good work,
Barbara
P.S The soup looks delicious, I will make it tonight

TeenyLittleSuperChef November 3, 2011

First off, love the costume. You definitely make a hot Queen of Hearts. Bummer that no kids came to your house. It seems like fewer and fewer come to our door each year too. What the heck? At least you got to look cute with each other while you had dinner. And man oh man, does that soup look yummy. And so simple too. I just aquired a whole pound of chantrelle mushrooms. Do you think they would work in this soup too, or would cremini be the best? I never know what to do with chantrelles. Any suggestions?

Eat Hike Sleep Repeat November 3, 2011

I did half and half with chantrelles and crimini. Works great! I do a cream of chantrelle soup with cashew cream, and a variety of cheezy chantrelle sauces (almond milk, nutritional yeast and a bit of spelt flour to thicken it).

Eat Hike Sleep Repeat November 3, 2011

Made it. Eating it. Truly enjoying it. This is fab soup!

Leslie November 3, 2011

Great recipe! I just made it and used have shiitake and half crimini mushrooms. I also subbed in wild/brown rice mix instead of millet because I already had it cooked. Didn’t have any worcestershire so I used a combo of vinegar, braggs, tamarind and cayenne. I think I will make this as an app for Thanksgiving this year. I always try to bring a hearty app for myself self since there probably won’t be too many food friendly choices for me :)

Casi Leigh November 3, 2011

Omg, trying this as we speak and just had to tell you that it is, in fact, divine. Wouldn’t expect anything else from you though, dear! :)

Also, as a note, we did not have any worcestershire sauce in the house so I used your above substitution of soy sauce and also added about two teaspoons of vegan liquid smoke seasoning. Worked like a charm.

P.S. Please tell me you took the opportunity at regular intervals to shout, “Off with his head!” Such an awesome costume!!

Sara November 4, 2011

when do you add the mushrooms??

Sara November 4, 2011

uh oh, now i see. on the printable directions the mushroom step is eliminated. i have the mushrooms going with the broth. i hope it turns out ok!

Karen November 5, 2011

I’m having this soup as I type this! Yumm is right, I made mine with quinoa. It was quick too, thanks for the recipe. :)

Bethany November 6, 2011

We love this soup! Have you tried freezing it? I love keeping soup in the freezer for easy lunches and was wondering if this one would work okay. Thanks!

Page 4 of 5«12345»