Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic Bread

IMG 4015   Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic Bread

Imagine this scene:

IMG 1709   Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic BreadLast night, Eric and I got dressed up (me as the Queen of Hearts, him as the Scream character) and we stuffed 40 treat bags for the trick or treaters. They were bursting with candy and small toys like leap frogs and mini games.

Last year we got around 20 kids, so we doubled the quantity in case there was an influx of kids. We did it up!

Halloween music was pumping through the upstairs window and our black light was flashing. A mild headache ensued.

My poufy sleeves really started to itch my arms, but I persisted on and had another sip of my spiked cider. Eric said he couldn’t breathe through his mask, removing it every once and a while to gasp for air. No biggie.

Then we waited.

And you know what? Not one kid came to our door!!!

Needless to say, Eric’s coworkers will be overjoyed when they see all the treat bags he’s brought them today. I don’t think anyone is getting much work done today, unless buzzing around the office on a sugar high and playing leap frog counts.

Luckily, we had this soup to comfort us last night. The Queen of Hearts and Scream characters sat at the table and enjoyed a delicious bowl of soup and crispy garlic bread. Sometimes that’s all you need!

IMG 4020   Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic Bread

I’ve made this soup twice in one week and the second time I doubled the recipe after deeming the first version produced too little soup (I posted the doubled recipe below). If you’re a mushroom fan, you will go crazy for this “meaty” and ultra hearty soup. It honestly makes me drool to look at these pictures because I love it so much. Normal, right?

Sauté some garlic and onion for about 5 minutes. [Don’t all amazing recipes start this way?] Then add in your sliced mushrooms and cook it down for about 15-20 minutes.

IMG 3984   Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic Bread

Meanwhile, cook some millet in a pot. Quinoa would also work nicely too.

Add your broth & seasonings and simmer for about 5 more minutes.

IMG 38281   Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic Bread IMG 3825   Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic Bread

At this point, I scooped half of my soup into the blender and processed it until lightly smooth. Then I poured this mixture back into the pot with the remaining soup. I loved this method because it thickens up the soup very nicely, but still left big mushroom pieces to bite into! Of course, if you have a hand held immersion blender that would work even better (a food processor would work too), but be sure to leave it chunky for the best texture.

Now, stir in the cooked millet. This thickens it up nicely too.

IMG 3992   Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic Bread

And you’re done!

IMG 3993   Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic Bread

Feel free to spoon into mason jars for portable work lunches.

IMG 4026   Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic Bread

I also made some Cheezy garlic bread based off a recipe in Eat, Drink, & Be Vegan.

IMG 3990   Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic Bread

To make:

• Slice a baguette in half
  • Peel a garlic clove and cut it in half and rub the garlic all over the bread. This helps infuse the garlic flavour into the bread without it being overpowering. You can also use garlic powder or garlic salt.
  • Spread on some Earth Balance or other non-dairy spread.
  • Followed by a sprinkle of nutritional yeast (for the cheezy flavour) and kosher salt
  • Bake at 350F for about 14-15 minutes until crispy and golden. Slice & serve warm!

This was amazing!

IMG 3995   Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic Bread

I don’t even want to tell you how many pieces I had. I think I ploughed through a quarter of the baguette! Why are baguettes so insanely good?

IMG 4025   Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic Bread

By the way, my tests came back normal so gluten is here to stay. I’ll be talking about this more in a future post though.

IMG 4009   Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic Bread

IMG 4023   Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic Bread

Late last night, we headed out for our evening walk. A nice older lady who lives down the street had made a cute Halloween display for the kids at the end of her driveway. There was a sign taped to a haystack that read “Please help yourself to the candy!”, but no candy to be found.

We walked down the road a bit and there was a RACCOON with her bowl of candy happily munching away on a Snickers bar in front of her yard.

At least, someone’s enjoying Halloween!

Keri @ Blue-Eyed Runner November 1, 2011

We didn’t have any trick or treaters either : ( so sad…and so much left over candy!

Melody (Redhead in the Kitchen) November 1, 2011

First of all, this soup is so right down my alley and it’s perfect because I’ve been waiting for a great recipe to try millet with! I’ve never cooked it before.

Secondly, I TOTALLY know how you feel about the trick or treat thing. Last year we had none after the year before having run out of candy completely! This year, we only had one group. The raccoon thing is just hilarious though.

Wynne November 1, 2011

Me, too–I have a cup of millet from the health food store bulk bin, waiting for its first recipe.

Jessica O. November 1, 2011

Oh my gosh, Angela, this recipe is perfect! I keep thinking, I have a bag full of millet in the cupboard I need to use, and I definitely need to make a big batch of something for portable lunches this week. I now have the solution! Thanks!

Georgina November 1, 2011

I love this soup! I have to try it. I happen to have mushrooms in the fridge. :)

One question about nutritional yeast: how do you store it? Should I have refrigerated? :S It is a new product for me, and I’m not totally sold on it.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 1, 2011

I just store it in a mason jar in my cupboard :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table November 1, 2011

That’s so sad about the trick-or-treaters! I think parents in my area are doing more organized events due to crime increases. :(

Love the looks of that soup! I recently made a similar mushroom soup, but added lentils for bulk. Never enough ‘shrooms!

Kat November 1, 2011

Oh gosh, I’m definitely making this tonight. It looks incredible.

RachelSD November 1, 2011

Yum, that looks so good! Can’t wait to try it. The good news is you looked great and a raccoon had a good night. :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga November 1, 2011

The recipe looks awesome.

Love the new header banner with the pumpkins…so festive. I know you mentioned awhile back that you were going to rotate them and by gosh, you have. Dig it.

“What has the world come to these days? Are there no kids trick or treating anymore? It was like a ghost town out there. ” <— As the mother of a 4 year old, yes, it's VERY hard for me these days. Lots of adults/houses in our area don't do Halloween, they keep their house dark and we live urban so there's more condos and high rise bldgs than single family homes so we go to the mall. I posted pics of how the local stores pass out candy to the kids b/c the houses in the area or condos/apts aren't really conducive to it. Times are 'a changing :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 1, 2011

Yes they are!

Amanda @ AmandaRunsNY November 1, 2011

I can’t believe no one came to trick or treat! That sucks but at least you tried!

Charlie November 1, 2011

I would definitely LOVE this soup!!! Yummm

Tina B November 1, 2011

We had no kids in our neighborhood either. Also, I notice there were only 3 houses giving out candy this year. I end up having to take my neices to a trunk and treat event to get candy.

Katie F November 1, 2011

That soup looks yummy! I love mushrooms in soups.

I assure you that the kids are still trick-r-treating. My neighborhood was inundated with kids (from tot to teen). They were all driven around in cars (minivans, mostly) that blocked my way home last night.

Melanie November 1, 2011

This soup sounds amazing–looking forward to trying it later in the week! Love your recipes–thanks. :)

Rose November 1, 2011

That sound recipe sounds heavenly. Printing it out to make as soon as it gets cool down here.

That sucks so bad that you didn’t get any kids last night. Especially since they would have been *stoked* to get little treat bags. =(

marilyn November 1, 2011

I am missing part of the recipe?, am i the only one? When do the mushrooms get added and how long should the cook?
was hoping to make for dinner!
thanks for the great recipes!

Trick or treaters were lean here as well despite the beautiful weather. ; (

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count November 1, 2011

The soup sounds so good! I’m going to have to try it!

val November 1, 2011

Going to try the soup this weekend. We also had very few trick-or-treaters in Ohio. Might be because the local malls were holding trick-or-treat indoors over the past few weekends.
Love your outfit, adorable!

marilyn November 1, 2011

never mind, found it, I just didn’t read all the above info. The short recipe without all the pics is missing the mushroom step though.

sorry to be confusing!

MelanieF November 1, 2011

Wow, Angela! That soup looks amazing! I will be making this for my lunches next week! Thanks for the recipe!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) November 1, 2011

what a delicious belly-warming soup! and LOVE your costume!

Emmy (Wine and Butter) November 1, 2011

That looks amazing Ang – something about mushrooms is just so good and you’ve got me MASSIVELY craving them now!
I was also wondering though whether you would ever consider doing a blog post on marketing your blog?! I’ve just started one and am LOVING writing it – but I sometimes do wonder if anyoen is reading at all! :). I get that I need to prove my blog worth through good content, … but I was also wondering if you had any tips on ensuring people were seeing that content at all :). I’d love to know! xox

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 1, 2011

Hey Emmy!

I talked about this a bit on my FAQ page (under blog questions #4) I hope that helps! http://ohsheglows.com/faqs/

Katrina November 1, 2011

This soup sounds lovely!

Mindy November 1, 2011

I made this soup today for my husband and 2 year old. We all loved it! I wanted to thank you for all of your delicious recipes. It has helped my family turn the corner from veg to vegan. Before I found your blog, my husband wasn’t enjoying a lot of the dairy and egg free recipes I had used. I look forward to a cookbook, so I always have recipes on hand!!

Kristy H November 1, 2011

mmm, looks so good! never tried millet before so as soon as i get my hands on some im making this.

blossjoss November 1, 2011

We didn’t have any trick or treaters either! So weird.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 1, 2011

That’s such a bummer about the lack of trick or treaters. Seeing all the cute kids dressed up is one of the best parts of Halloween!

But at least this soup looks amazing!

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 1, 2011

the number of trick or treaters my parents get at their house has diminished a lot too! lol although I think they at least got a few. Where did all the kids go???

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers November 1, 2011

Ha, too funny! I just saw one of these pics on Pinterest. Small [online] world. :)

That’s a bummer you guys got all done-up and didn’t get any trick or treaters! Crazy! I didn’t get too many either. Don’t these kids want goodies???

Molly @ RDexposed November 1, 2011

Not a single one??? What’s with those Canadians? Yes yes, only a joke! Although I did laugh at every Canadian joke on How I Met Your Mother last night. :)
Looking forward to what you have to say about gluten!

Danielle November 1, 2011

can’t wait to try this soup!

and a note on yesterday’s post…congrats on 3 years of fab blogging!! so glad i found this happy corner of the internets about a year ago! (i didn’t comment yesterday since i won the lulu giveaway :) )

FoodFeud November 1, 2011

This looks absolutely perfect! I love mushrooms in soups and the Worcestershire sauce gives it such an awesome golden color.

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco November 1, 2011

The pics in this post are beautiful (as usual.) Happy Halloween, Your Majesty!

Tracy @ Tracy's Treats November 1, 2011

Wow, I can’t believe that not ONE kid came to your door!! My old neighborhood had hundreds, literally!

Karlee @olivewineandfood November 1, 2011

sorry you didn’t have any trick or treaters!! :( that is a bummer. i wish i had you to cook for me everyday : )

Hannah November 1, 2011

Teehee, I live in Australia, where the craziest thing that happens on Halloween is in one single kid arrives at your door! I think they’d get a muesli bar from me. No way I’m parting with my fancy chocolate :P

LOVE the costume, and I really need to give millet another chance!

Kris | iheartwellness.com November 2, 2011

Ohhhh my! How cute are you?? You didn’t get one little ghoul??? So sad! I love the giggles of kids on halloween :)

What a delicious looking soup, I love fall cozy soups!!

xxoo

Casey Thomas November 2, 2011

Angela your costume is hilarious! So sweet! :)
No trick or treaters over here in Australia, haven’t seen any for a few years now!
This recipe sounds wonderful! I make a delicious cauliflower and sweet potato soup that I put millet into – so divine!

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie November 2, 2011

Aww I’m so sorry you didn’t have any trick or treaters! There wasn’t many in my neighborhood either this year! I don’t know what that’s about!

Amy Baylis November 2, 2011

Hello!
I was wondering if it would work well to substitute zucchini for the mushrooms?
Thank you!
p.s. I love ALL your recipes!

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes November 2, 2011

We didn’t have any trick or treaters either! The soup looks fab!

Page 3 of 5«12345»