Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

IMG 3732 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

Isn’t it cruel that I’m dangling these burrito pictures in front of you several hours before lunch on a Monday morning? If I was a better planner, I would have posted this recipe yesterday. Then you could have made these for dinner and had leftovers for lunch today. Oops?

The truth is, I was just too busy stuffing my face with burritos yesterday!

Burritos are delicious, versatile, portable, filling, and a great source of vegan protein. What’s not to love? Plus, what other food are you challenged to stuff a thin, tiny wrap with as much filling as possible while avoiding explosion? The challenge is thrilling.

Why in the world have I not made vegan burritos before?

IMG 3729 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

Luckily, you guys keep me in line! A vegan recipe blog without a burrito recipe has not been unnoticed by many of you. I’ve had several requests for a black bean burrito recipe and I finally got my butt in gear. I just had to wait until inspiration struck.

Inspiration turned out to be a huge craving and a butternut squash that wasn’t getting any younger.

Burritos it is.

IMG 3746 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

IMG 3726 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

This recipe takes a bit of time due to roasting the squash and cooking the rice. My suggestion is to cook the squash and rice the day before. Then all you have to do is throw some things in a skillet and it will come together in 20-30 mins.

Sautee chopped onion, garlic, and red pepper in a skillet.

IMG 3620 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

Add your salt, seasonings, cooked beans and cooked rice:

IMG 3621 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

Now stir in 1.5 cups of cooked butternut squash. I mashed mine up a bit with a fork, but left some larger pieces too.

IMG 3623 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

Stir in 3/4 cup Daiya cheese (or your preferred cheese) and heat until melted. I can’t even begin to describe how amazing the cheese made this mixture. It went from good to mind blowing! I don’t suggest skipping the cheese.

IMG 3624 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

Now wrap it up and add your desired toppings. If you use about 3/4 cup of filling per burrito it should serve 4 comfortably.

IMG 3625 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos IMG 3626 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

I added spinach, avocado, and salsa in addition to the bean/cheese filling. You could also add vegan sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes, chopped Cilantro, sunflower seeds, hot sauce, etc.

IMG 3628 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos IMG 3629 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

Fold in the sides:

IMG 3641 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

Take the end closest to you and wrap it over and tuck underneath the filling.

IMG 3649 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos IMG 3653 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

Monster hands, optional!

Now finish rolling the wrap until the lose end is on the bottom.

With a knife, slice through the centre.

IMG 3658 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

Somehow I managed to avoid explosion!

IMG 3742 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

We both agreed that these are the best vegan burritos we’ve tasted and we’ve tried a lot. I’ll be making these again and again!  The black and orange is also pretty festive for Halloween, don’t you think?

IMG 3749 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

It also makes a great salad topper too.

IMG 3754 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

…and a great post-workout feast which is how we enjoyed the burritos yesterday. The only thing missing was a cold beer!

As for the leftover roasted squash? You can use it to make Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze or maybe Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili.

IMG 2428 thumb thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

Have a great Monday!

Jenny April 11, 2012

Surprisingly delicious… Such a shame I doubted this combination of ingredients for so long! I was worried that I wouldn’t like the butternut with the filling (sautéed bell pepper, onion, garlic…) and the trimmings (avocado, cheese, salsa) to boot, but… lo’ and behold: best lunch I’ve had in a long time! Thankyouthankyou! Marvelous recipe and definitely one I am looking forward to repeating tomorrow with today’s leftovers. :)

Alane April 15, 2012

I tried these out tonight. My meat eating boyfriend was very pleased with the results! I put cheese (the dairy product) on his portion. I also wrapped them with a little avocado, lettuce, and salsa. Thank you for sharing this recipe!

Lauralynn May 1, 2012

That was delicious!! Thanks!

Lindsay May 10, 2012

this has become one of my absolute favorite recipes, i make these all the time. thank you for creating and posting it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 10, 2012

I’m glad you enjoy it Lindsay!

Frank Pruiksma May 19, 2012

My Dad attended a Diabetic Medical Convention. He is a Medical Doctor that specializes in diabetes. One of the items that was catered at the Diabetes Conference was one of these butternut squash and black bean humus burritos! My Dad brought a couple for me to try and they were an instant knock out! I just now found the recipe, Thank you for posting! Happy Eating!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 20, 2012

Wow that is awesome! Thanks for letting me know :)

Pie Kasbar May 29, 2012

We made these tonight and they were a HUGE hit! I’m a new vegan, and I go to your site EVERY day for recipes and inspiration. I have a young family and everything I’ve made so far has been delicious and well received! Thank you so much!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 30, 2012

Thank you, I’m so thrilled to hear that!

Marley June 11, 2012

I made these a couple nights ago…AMAZING! Haha. I had to sub the butternut squash with acorn squash, but I think it turned out the same as it would with butternut. Putting it all together took a bit longer than expected but OH MY was it worth it. I had to hide the leftover filling from the rest of my family, they couldn’t believe how good it was! I used it in tortillas for wraps, in pita with spinach, and as topping for a black bean patty. This stuff is SO versatile! Definitely looking forward to trying more of your delicious recipes after the success of this one:) Thanks for sharing it!

Latoya June 19, 2012

I made this today, and absolutely love it! The combination of the flavors…the sweet and salty and spicy…my tongue was in heaven! I added my leftover spinach to the filling, and it was divine, with and without it. And you are sooo right about the cheese….it is a must! I hesitated about trying it (I’m not a vegan…but am transitioning into a more plant based diet), but I must say that I love it! I would never know that it was “vegan” opposed to regular dairy cheese. It’s definitely a new favorite…thanks! The filling is definitely quite versatile, and will be included in my meals throughout the week. Thanks for sharing, and showing me that being a vegan doesn’t mean you only eat salad…not that there’s anything wrong with salad ;-) Can’t wait to try your other recipes!

Aislinn September 4, 2012

Hi,

Going to try to make this tonight. Could you substitute nutritional yeast to get the cheesy flavor and texture, do you think? I don’t have the cheese product you mention, and prefer not to use dairy cheese.

Thanks in advance for your reply. Aislinn

Michelle September 12, 2012

I made these last night and they were great! Eating a leftover one right now for lunch, NOM NOM!!!!!

Gina September 19, 2012

These look amazing!! Living in SoCal, burritos (Mexican food really) is a diet staple. Being vegan, I just have to get a little creative sometimes. Can’t wait to try this!

Emily September 20, 2012

Sorry for the perhaps obvious question, but I’m a complete butternut squash newbie… could you make this with pumpkin as well, or are the two veggies not interchangeable?

allison September 20, 2012

These look soo good! I must make them this weekend! Thanks for giving me such a healthy idea! Follow my blog :)

Darvina September 21, 2012

Thank you so much for this recipe. These burritos were so good. Im fighting myself not to have another one. LOL I just started my vegan journey and have to warn you, I will be stalking your site from now on! ;)

Dianna September 23, 2012

I made these last night! Wow! They are so delicious, full of flavor! You know what I love about eating vegan? I feel full, healthy and full of energy. Who knew?

Kristen September 23, 2012

Angela,
I just made this for the first time this year. I made it last year as well. It is sooooo delicious and easy!!!! I love so many of your recipes! I think I’ve made your adventure cookies at least 5 times!!
Thanks :-)

Life's a Bowl September 25, 2012

Oh my goodness, YUMMM!!! These would be awesome with the cooler weather rolling in :)

Cecilia September 25, 2012

This. Was. Unbelievable. So incredibly FANTASTIC! I am sad I have to wait a whole 24 hours for leftovers. :(

Samantha September 26, 2012

Made these tonight with squash that I had grilled for dinner the night before. The twins (12) only tasted one tiny bite of the grilled squash and declared it a “no thank you”. But tonight they ate every morsel of this recipe! I wanted to make “Mexican” but we had already had red meat and we are eating one vegitarian and 2 fish meals a week in an effort to cut back on “meat”. So my regular taco and enchilada recipes were out – plus I had the left over squash, which I thought turned out awesome on the grill. With this great recipe I was able to do both, eat up the leftovers and have Mexican, and it was amazing. I will check this site again in the future! thank you!

Kim D September 27, 2012

this looks wonderful. i’m going to make it tonight for dinner. i’ll let you know how it turns out.

MsPacMan October 4, 2012

Wow – 212 comments – this must be an awesome recipe! I am making these for dinner tonight. Can’t wait til dinner time! I did what you said and prepared the squash and rice ahead. Great suggestion. :)

courtney October 5, 2012

definitely making this next week! sounds sooo yummy & perfect for fall!!!

Karen October 5, 2012

My hubby and I LOVE these. I’m wondering though if it would work to make a double batch and freeze the second batch of filling? Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 5, 2012

Hey Karen, so glad you enjoy the burritos so much! I think other commenters have mentioned that they freeze them successfully.

Andie October 6, 2012

I made these tonight and they are beyond amazing! Truly a perfect meal for early fall. We are big burrito fans around here so when I heard, “this is the best burrito I’ve ever had!” from my family, it meant something. Simply amazing! I have made a few dozen of the dishes from this website and they never, ever disappoint. Thank you so much!

Kim October 10, 2012

I made this tonight and it is delicious – I didn’t add the rice because I do the low carb diet but it still is fantastic! I made alot so I have leftovers for lunches and maybe another meal. Thanks for a wonderful recipe.

Jodie October 11, 2012

I made these last night for my lunches for the rest of the week, GREAT recipe! Very tasty and satisfying. Thank you for the awesome recipes!

Sarah McKenna October 14, 2012

Yum! Served it to my family tonight. Was short on time, so used frozen butternut squash and it was divine (and QUICK!)! Big hugs, many thanks!!

Lindsay October 18, 2012

These were A-MAZING!! Not only was the filling great for burritos on day 1 but we used some leftovers to make enchiladas. I just lined a few corn tortillas with large spinach leaves and filled each with a dollop of the butternut blackbean filling, rolled them up in a baking dish, then covered with some leftover sauce I had in the freezer. Voila!! Instant 2nd day hit. Thanks Angela for sharing another great recipe!!

Suzanne P October 19, 2012

WOW! Thank you Angela, these pretty much BLEW MY MIND!

YUM!

Sonja October 21, 2012

Hi Angela, I’ve so far made 4 of your recipes including this one and I can’t stay silent any longer. These burritos are absolutely delicious! My husband is a huge meat eater and absolutely loved them! I can’t thank you enough for your effort and creativity in making such great food, it’s truly an inspiration — everything I have made of yours has been fantastic!

Sonya October 27, 2012

I made a variation of the filling and stuffed it in green and poblano peppers. Delicious! You have great recipes!

Kaitlin October 28, 2012

Just made these and they were SO good. Even my carnivorous husband loved them! Thank you!

Ashley November 6, 2012

I am making this tonight! Looks and sounds delicious!

Robin November 12, 2012

I made these! Deeeeeeeeeee-licious! Thank you!

elizabeth November 26, 2012

Oh my gosh, the black bean and butter squash burritos are amazing. I made them for lunch for my friends and they were a hit. I love them!!! Easy to make and very flavorful. Thank you so much for sharing :)

elizabeth November 26, 2012

Amazingly wonderful!!!! The black bean and butternut squash burritos are so worth the work. Thank you for sharing :)

Kat November 27, 2012

I am back to make these again! They were amazing, I just eat the filling! Thanks.

Tricia December 2, 2012

So…my husband and I have been vegan for a grand total of six weeks now…and THIS is the recipe that made it all possible. After a particularly troubling visit w/ the specialist who treats my Lupus, I came home to announce to my husband that, on my doctor’s advice, I was vegan. But first, I made these burritos. When he was about 2/3 through his burrito, and mumbling (when he stopped chewing) that this was the best dinner he had eaten in quite a while…I said, “Good! Glad you enjoyed it. It’s vegan. WE’RE vegan.” No problem! Since then I have tried several of the recipes from your blog and enjoyed them all. Thank you for making our transition so much easier than it might have been!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 2, 2012

Hi Tricia, Thank you so much for your lovely comment! Congrats on going vegan. I’m so glad that I could be a part of your journey!

Karen December 2, 2012

Ooops…we forgot the Daiya cheese! We did not have rice but used colored quinoa. Too spicy for me..so will adjust next time. We mixed sour cream/and avocado and topped with spinach. Would eat it as a salad or side dish…rather than a burrito. Different I might say.

Mary December 4, 2012

I just made these in quesadilla form. They were a-maz-ing! The only thing I changed was I do not use any oil in cooking so I used a splash of veg broth. I will be making these again. Thank you for the recipe.

Page 5 of 7« First...«34567»