Vegan Brownies: Two Ways

IMG_3527

Brownies are notorious for being difficult to get just right. Since going vegan, brownies are the one dessert that I have had the least success with. There’s something about not having the egg in there that just makes it difficult to get the perfect texture. I’ve tried a few vegan brownie recipes on the blog so far and while they’ve all tasted great, I haven’t found the one that makes me say “this is it”.

IMG_3513

This might be it. It’s pretty damn close to my perfect brownie.

I love my brownies dense and rich with a crispy crust. I’m not a fan of cake-like brownies. If I want cake, I’ll make a cake! Mind you…I’ll pretty much eat any brownie that’s put in front of me without a single complaint. Duh.

Now, throw gluten-free and vegan into the mix and it’s almost doomed for failure.

But it can’t hurt to try.

IMG_3519

Apparently it can. It can hurt real bad.

Despite the mess above, I have two successful brownie recipes to share with you:

• a gluten-free and vegan version
  • a regular vegan version (not GF)

The very first brownie I made was our least favourite and biggest shocker. I used a mix of all-purpose and whole wheat pastry flour. The result was a cake-like texture and the flavour didn’t wow me like I hoped. I will not be sharing this recipe with you today as it needs more work.

IMG_3547

After that, I decided to switch up my flours to get the dense brownie I was looking for.

IMG_3540

[the GF brownie is a bit thicker because it was baked in an 8 inch pan while the vegan brownie was baked in a 9 inch pan.]

In the vegan version (on left) I used a mix of all-purpose flour and almond meal/flour. The texture and taste was so much better than the first version! For the gluten-free version, I used a mix of brown rice flour, almond meal/flour, and arrowroot powder. I was really surprised at how close I could get the gluten-free version’s texture to the regular vegan version. Both were winners, but I’ll tell you which one we liked best at the end of the post. Oh, suspense.

IMG_3545

I love a crisp edge on a brownie!

IMG_3542

The key for brownie success is a very thick batter. It’s so thick, you think you did something wrong.

IMG_3491 IMG_3493

You did not.

Unless of course you forgot the flax egg (see brownie disaster above).

IMG_3552

Crazy good batter!

IMG_3553

Scoop the thick dough onto the pan and spread it out. I placed a piece of parchment paper on top and rolled a pastry roller over it to smooth out. It’s a bit annoying to work with, but the effort is worth it!

IMG_3494

Next up, the GF and vegan brownies:

IMG_3512

Vegan and Gluten-Free Brownies

Ridiculously good. No one will ever guess these are vegan and gluten-free!

This recipe uses almond meal/flour, arrowroot powder, and brown rice flour.

For the full-recipe click here.

IMG_3525

Two excellent vegan brownie recipes.

But which one was the best?

I put on my Mad Scientist coat and did a Blind taste test on Eric. He preferred the gluten-free and vegan brownie to the vegan brownie made with all-purpose flour. I also preferred the GF brownie. I never thought either of us would have concluded that, so it was quite interesting to say the least! Whichever you make, you really can’t go wrong though.

IMG_3526

Served with creamy almond milk?

Now you’re playing with my heart strings.

1 Kamaile October 19, 2011

YUM!!!!!!!

2 RhodeyGirl October 19, 2011

That is the best looking brownie I’ve ever seen.

3 Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles October 19, 2011

My mom used to make the best fudgy brownies. I’ve been afraid to even attempt a vegan version! Perhaps this will win out over mom’s.

4 Lauren Helen October 19, 2011

Your blog is actually amazing – I love all of the vegan recipes, and now that you’re gluten-free, I’m loving those recipes too! My best friend – and maybe soon my boyfriend? – is allergic to gluten so your recipes are basically perfect for us :)

I can’t wait to try out the brownies and let him try some too!

x
culinarilychallenged.blogspot.com

5 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 19, 2011

My recent food sensitivity tests show I won’t need to go gluten-free (more in a future post), but I’m def. open to baking more gluten free options! I hope to do two versions for some recipes because I love the challenge and I also think GF foods can taste great.

6 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table October 19, 2011

*Drool* I was going to try to avoid sweets… but I just changed my mind. AND I can make these to share with my GF friend. :)

Do you know what specific ingredient/balance of ingredients causes that flaky top on brownies?

7 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 19, 2011

I was wondering the same thing!

The brownies I made with more sugar seemed to have a flakier crust, although I’m sure it could have been due to other things.

8 TeenyLittleSuperChef October 19, 2011

Oh my, I’ve died and gone to brownie heaven! I’ve been looking for a gluten-free brownie recipe and have yet to make one that tasted decent. I have a feeling this one could be a winner. I’m thinking of adding in a little peanut butter in place of the walnuts. Do you think that would be a good idea or would it make them too dense? Thanks for this tasty recipe, Angela!

9 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 19, 2011

In my experience, vegan brownie recipes are VERY sensitive to changes, so I don’t know how it would turn out. It’s anyone’s guess!

10 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 19, 2011

maybe I will have to try a PB version. That really does sound amazing!

11 Melissa Bowen August 1, 2012

I know I am replying to very old post but I remembered these when wanting to bake for a potluck for some coworkers that were, between the three of them, lacotse-itolerant with either soy or egg allergies. These guys never get baked goods at work, so I was a bit of hero thanks to you. I used peanut flour in place of the almond flour and subbed 1/4 cup coconut oil + 2 T pumpkin butter for the butter and they were super yummy.

12 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 1, 2012

thats wonderful, thanks for letting me know! Love your swaps :)

13 Kelsey @ Living the Gluten Free Life October 19, 2011

I can’t wait to try the gluten free version!!! This is making me want chocolate so badly!

14 Kris | iheartwellness.com October 19, 2011

Can I fly to your place and have one of these with a tall glass of Almond Milk?? These are DIVINE!! Way to go!!

xxoo

15 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 19, 2011

If you make it here fast… ;)

16 Katie @ Raisins&Apples October 19, 2011

Do you have a suggestion for an almond flour sub? I’m allergic to almonds and am trying to find a similar weight/texture flour.

17 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 19, 2011

I’m not too sure, but maybe a more experienced GF baker can chime in with ideas?

18 Melanie October 1, 2012

I would think you could use a bean flour in place of the almond flour (like white bean or garbanzo flour), although they would probably be DELICIOUS with coconut flour!

19 Sara October 19, 2011

Just in time for the holidays! Thank you for your self-less research ;)

PS- I hope your tummy is doing better.

20 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 19, 2011

Thanks Sara!
My tummy troubles appear to be more stress/anxiety than food related, so I dont know if thats a good thing or bad thing. lol.

21 Meagan October 19, 2011

I make a pretty good brownie (GF, vegan and nut free). I’ve found mixing flaxseed meal, coconut flour, tapioca flour and GF oat flour makes a great texture. I’ll have to play around with your recipe – looks yummy!

22 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 19, 2011

Thats good to know!
What does tapioca flour taste like?

23 Meagan October 20, 2011

Tapioca flour is made from the root of the cassava plant, once ground it takes the form of a light, soft, fine white flour. It has a slightly nutty flavor, very mild in ovr all flavor. Tapioca flour adds chewiness to baking and is a good thickener. It’s a fairly resilient flour, so storing at room temperature is no problem. No gluten, natural.

24 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 20, 2011

Awesome, thanks so much!

25 Michelle August 30, 2012

I’d love to try out your nut-free recipe if you’re willing to share! I have a bag of coconut flour that I was gifted and don’t know what to do with it.

26 J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) October 19, 2011

All of them look delish! Tapioca starch, in my experience, is really gooey when you cook with it, which might lend a bit of binder-like chewiness to baked goods, and it’s GF of course.

I need to get one of those small rollers! They look so handy to have.

27 Rachel October 19, 2011

I have to make those vegan & GF ones!!! I’ve never been successful making GF brownies… They always crumble into a big mess.

28 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 19, 2011

I think a big part of it is allowing them to cool completely before attempting to remove/slice. I let these cool for about 1.5 hours. I find the parchment trick works well too.

29 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 19, 2011

I’m so glad you all liked the GF one the most! I was going to be upset if you didn’t, haha because i can’t make the non GF one!

30 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 19, 2011

lol :)

31 Ruthiey October 19, 2011

Those look so good!!! Wow, you never fail to amaze me with your creativity. :)

32 Erika - The Teenage Taste October 19, 2011

Oooh, these brownies look deeeelicious! :-D
Is it just me or are all vegan brownies really dense and fudgy? I have a favorite vegan brownie recipe that I found on AllRecipes and it is super gooey! You should definitely give it a try! allrecipes.com/recipe/vegan-brownies/

33 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 19, 2011

I’ve found the opposite actually…most of the vegan brownies I’ve tried are cake-like. But maybe that’s because I have been trying the healthier ones. I will have to check out that recipe!

34 Lauren @ Lawfully Wedded Wife October 19, 2011

Oh man…and I thought I was craving chocolate BEFORE I read this…now I’m doomed. I will definitely try this out, I have lots of fun trying vegan baking!

35 Beth October 19, 2011

Can’t wait to try them both!

36 Lys October 19, 2011

Wow, I can’t believe the Gluten Free version won! That’s great!

I’ve also been trying to make a vegan brownie and really really dislike the cake quality. When I’m craving brownies, give me something gooey, practically like batter. I can’t wait to share this with my mum, who is convinced you can’t get the same texture without using the mix from a box. Thanks for sharing!

37 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 19, 2011

I hope it passes her test!

38 Lauren @ What Lauren Likes October 19, 2011

Come to mama fo sure!!! I seriously started to drool a tiny bit….can’t wait to try these out :)

39 Rachel October 19, 2011

I was *just* looking up brownie recipes online! I want to make mint brownies, but I used to put a whole stick of butter in the top part, so I am going to try to figure that out…

40 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 19, 2011

mint would be amazing….as would PB as someone mentioned above. Mint swirl? PB swirl? pumpkin?

Ok I need to stop :)

41 Krystina (Organically Me) October 19, 2011

These are some of the best brownies I’ve EVER seen! Yum!

42 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 19, 2011

Those look near perfect!

43 Noelle (@singerinkitchen) October 19, 2011

Lovely recipes! I am so happy you get a chance to work on recipe testing. My day job gets in the way! :D

44 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 19, 2011

They look amazing and thank you for trialing all these versions. Tough work, but someone has to do it, right? :)

Cake-like brownies are a no go for me. Must be dense, rich, fudgy, pretty much a thick, solid, really dense slab of fudge is how I like them.

That is so interesting about the GF being the preferrred…I imagine that somehow the almond flour gave it that heaviness and density that is great in brownies; not so good in a white birthday cake. At least that’s my experience w/ almond flour.

And “I placed a piece of parchment paper on top and rolled a pastry roller over it to smooth out. It’s a bit annoying to work with, but the effort is worth it!” <— I have been searching for something like that! Where did you get it? Pastry store? Online?

45 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 19, 2011

You are exactly right about the almond flour!
I’ve found it gives a density and sweetness to cookies and brownies. Not so great in large amount for fluffy baked goods though, but in small amounts, I find it’s nice.

The pastry roller? Dollarstore :)

46 Ashley October 19, 2011

Angela- those brownies look fabulous! I cannot wait to try them:)

47 Jennifer October 19, 2011

What could I substitute for the ground flax? I’m very allergic to it. I was looking so forward to making these this weekend! Thanks.

48 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 19, 2011

I’m sorry to hear that Jennifer!
Can you do chia seeds? Ground chia seeds MIGHT work, but chia does absorb more water than flax so Im not sure how that would effect the overall brownie.

49 Jennifer October 22, 2011

Okay, thank you. I will give that a try!

50 Angela October 19, 2011

Can’t wait to try them. I’m not a fan of cakey brownies either and most vegan recipes I’ve tried seem to end up that way. Crisp on the outside and fudgey on the inside all the way for me!

51 Pippi October 19, 2011

Angela can I use whole wheat pastry flour for the brownies? Also can I use cocoa powder? Thank you.

52 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 19, 2011

I didn’t have great results when using WWPF so I would not recommend it.
And yes, cocoa powder is used in both recipes.

53 Melissa October 19, 2011

You are a baking goddess! I love that they have a crust on the outside… That’s the best part… Can’t wait to try these!

54 Alayna @ Thyme Bombe October 19, 2011

You are reading my mind. I’ve been craving brownies for weeks and really wanted to find a healthier version that was just as decadent.

55 Anne October 19, 2011

These look great!

I’ve also had a lot of success making GF vegan & fat free brownies with oat + quinoa flours (fresh ground from whole quinoa and steel-cut oats – both uncontaminated GF certified) instead of whole wheat pastry, and no other subs to the recipe.

56 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 19, 2011

mmm that sounds good. :)

57 Ami @ parsnipsandpears October 19, 2011

so excited to try these!!! yum yum!

58 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit October 19, 2011

I’m so happy that you didn’t add a lot of oil! Thank you, thank you! Going to make these for Kevin for our anniversary on Monday :)

59 Jen October 19, 2011

Hi Angela,
These brownies look awesome! Must try! When you say non dairy chocolate, do you mean vegan chips or something like this?
Thanks for all your great recipes! How is your cookbook coming along anyway? I would be one of the first in line, even though I have my own version scattered about the house from printing them every other day!!!
Thanks again!
Jen

60 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 20, 2011

Hey Jen, I used a mix of chocolate bar and chips…you can use what you prefer! :)

Im working with an agent now and working on my proposal, coming along quite well!

61 Kari @ bite-sized thoughts October 19, 2011

I have to say that I’m not too fussy with brownies – if they are chocolatey and not dry, I am generally happy! – but I might become fussy after these. Who would have thought vegan AND gluten free could turn out so well? You deserve a medal :)

62 Kathy October 19, 2011

If I make both of these, you’ll see BOTH the recipes gone by midnight…or even less.
I will eat and lick every crumb I see ;] which is also why I had to reduce my baking days to only Saturday and Sunday and sometimes Wednesday ._.

63 Christina October 19, 2011

Oh my word! That looks amazing. Me & my fiance are going to bake one of your desserts for my birthday on Monday but I can’t decide which one!! Any suggestions? Which is your favorite? I think I def want to do something with chocolate.

64 K October 19, 2011

These look so delish! I have to admit, I made vegan brownies with avocados and the results made me not want to EVER try vegan baking again.
You may have changed my mind!

thanks!

65 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 19, 2011

heh :) Baking with avocado is tough stuff! So are black bean brownies…

66 Jen N August 3, 2012

Oh my gosh… I just tried making black bean brownies. Two different recipes two nights in a row. The first had banana and just tasted like mashed banana. The second tasted ok… but not really great and they didn’t really bake in the middle.

I’m on a mission to try to make a vegan, gluten free, processed sugar free, oil free brownie. It’s hard! That’s a lot of ingredients to switch out!!!

67 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 3, 2012

Hey Jen, I can feel your pain! I’ve been testing black bean recipes for over a year now and nothing yet I’d share. haha. I know ppl rave about them but I can’t get over the texture!

68 Jen N August 5, 2012

At least it’s not just me! I love the idea though… I just want a healthy dessert that is chocolaty and I can feel good about eating lol!
The first one I tried had banana in it and it was awful. It just tasted like beans and banana. My friend said it tasted like rellenitos – plaintains stuffed with beans and a little cocao. Then I tried a different recipe. It tasted better, but still had the consistency of refried beans!

69 Maria July 26, 2013

exactly, how do you make avocados don’t taste sour after being cooked? is it temperature, or any ingredient?

70 The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh October 19, 2011

Dang I wish I saw these before I made a different brownie recipe today. Thankfully thanks what my recipe folder is for! Is it wrong I wanted to eat it out of the bowl?

71 Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy October 19, 2011

These look delicious! It has been a chocolate craving week!

72 Amanda October 19, 2011

I also love brownies that are crispy on the outside, but dense and almost fudge-lke on the inside. I’m kind of shocked that you both preferred the gluten free version – I’ve had bad luck with most gluten free recipes I’ve tried, especially for things like brownies. Can’t wait to try your recipes!

73 Katie Gibbs October 19, 2011

Can’t wait to try these. My mom has coeliac (so she has to eat gluten free) and is very picky about her brownies so I can’t wait to make these for her!

74 Nicole October 19, 2011

I am going to try these for Thanksgiving! Thank you!

75 Kait October 19, 2011

*Drools*

On a serious note *ahem* I love that you show some of the things that don’t work too. It reminds us that even the best food bloggers and creators had to start somewhere…and that no one produces perfect products the first time. I tend to put people on a pedestal (gotta work on that…) so I really appreciate how you aren’t afraid to share the mistakes too. Universe knows, we all make them! :)

76 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 20, 2011

Amen :)

77 kaila@ healthy helper blog! October 19, 2011

I can just tell from the pics that these are incredible! They look SO fudgey! Just how I like my brownies. And you totally won my over with the addition of walnuts! Can’t have brownies without them!

78 Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa October 19, 2011

I am making these tomorrow morning for breakfast. Don’t judge.

79 marla October 19, 2011

Both if these versions look great. From the sound of the ingredients I would have gone with the GF one too. Gonna FB this post now. It would have been very difficult to stop taste testing ;)
…xxoo

80 Jeanette October 19, 2011

These are so fudgey, no one would ever guess they’re vegan!

81 Tracy @ Tracy's Treats October 19, 2011

I like my brownies almost under-cooked, but superdense ones work for me too. Who am I kidding? All brownies work for me!

82 Tess October 19, 2011

This blog makes me happy :)

83 katie@ KatieDid October 19, 2011

Wow incredible. Baking is such an exact science, and throw GF and vegan into the mix… that takes a lot of talent. These look awesome!

84 Bronwyn October 19, 2011

these look delicious! They might rival the vegan brownies served at UBC (pretty much the best bought brownies I’ve ever had, vegan or not!).

85 Emilia @ Namaste Gurl October 19, 2011

These look beyond amazing! Major kudos to you, I can only imagine *how* hard it is to master a vegan brownie recipe AND gluten free vegan. Can’t wait to try these out! Definitely book-marked :) And thanks for the gluten- free option, super tough to create indeed!

86 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty October 19, 2011

Awesome!! Now if you cube them, and put them on kebab sticks with fruit and drizzle with chocolate OMG…. I blogged about these awhile ago, they are insanely good – and go over VERY well at parties!!

87 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 20, 2011

Sounds amazing!

88 Laura (NourishandBloom) October 19, 2011

Painfully gorgeous and drool-inducing post! Gotta have the crispy crust on a chewy brownie. I agree cakey is for cake! : ) Can’t wait to give the gluten-free version a try (no gluten for my autoimmune diseases!) Also wanted to let you know I visit often just to “ooooh and aaaahh” over your beyond gorgeous photography. Awe-striking!

89 Emily @ The Divine Carrot October 19, 2011

Mmmmmm those look amazing!

90 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 20, 2011

OMG Ange…. these look awesome! I would have LOVED to be present for the taste testing procedure! :)

91 Emmy (Wine and Butter) October 20, 2011

Ooooh these look absolutely INCREDIBLE!! Im totally there with you on the whole hating brownies that taste like cake thing – rubbish!! I like them super gooey – and totally with the all important crust. Ive actually had lots of GF brownies that I really liked, but none have been vegan too so I imagine thats a mega challenge!! I did a whole post on chocolate yesterday and whether or not its good for you (concluded that the dark stuff, defo isnt bad!!) so ( since I dont even like chocolate that much so who knows why I did all the research!?) I think making some brownies could be a really good call!! I absolutely love the detail in all your recipes. So much more important than exclusively raving about the taste… I need to learn from that :) xox

92 Alexia @ NamasteYoga October 20, 2011

these brownies look amazing. I never used to like brownies because they are too dense and sweet but these versions look great. I prefer them hot with a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream on top. yum.

93 jo October 20, 2011

ahh the elusive flaky topped vegan brownie!! i know what you mean about wanting a crispy crust. i too have tried many vegan brownie recipes and they tend to end up either cakey or fudgey and more like a torte- which i love but simply they are not then ‘true’ brownies. these however look like the real deal….!!

94 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 20, 2011

Yum! These look so fudgey! You usually only get that look from tons of butter, so I’m shocked at how little the recipe calls for. My arteries are thanking you! ;)

95 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers October 20, 2011

Thanks Angela! I have to make these for my Vegan friend. She doesn’t know how to cook or eat and she’s Vegan. I’m not, but I always bring her meals I know she can eat! She is shocked sometimes by the fact that something is vegan and tastes so good! Thank you!!

96 Lauren at Keep It Sweet October 20, 2011

They both look amazing, nicely done!

97 Katrina October 20, 2011

Mmm brownies are the best! Yum.

98 Lauren (PB&G) October 20, 2011

Angela these look fantastic! I must try them when I get back from Florida! <3 fudgy brownies!!

99 Kate Bartolotta (@kate_bartolotta) October 20, 2011

Yay! So glad to see you did a gluten free version! I’ve been moving from vegetarian towards vegan (it a short trip…dairy doesn’t agree with me that well anyway;) and LOVE your blog!!

100 LizAshlee October 20, 2011

Oh my…these look amazing..can I get one now…it’s ok that it’s 7AM..I still want one..I lie…more than one…delicious looking!

101 Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove October 20, 2011

Ooo, I love brownies! Not a fan of walnuts, but I’m sure they can easily be omitted. Can’t wait to try this!!

102 Cait's Plate October 20, 2011

Oh my gosh I could just take a spoon to that bowl of batter and go to town. It looks INCREDIBLE!

103 tweal October 20, 2011

Wowee, thank you so much for doing all this difficult research! A good brownie is indeed hard to find, but I have a good feeling about these ones. I also love a good crispy crust on a brownie – that’s the best part!

104 Andrea October 20, 2011

These brownies look so moist and fudgy… I want one right now! I am not vegan or gluten free, but I love experimenting with different flours and baking methods, so I might give these a try :)

On another note, I used your recipe for a carrot cake smoothie for breakfast this morning and it turned out amazing! Thank you!

105 Mara October 20, 2011

Cannot wait to try these! What would you recommend i use if I want to decrease sugar levels (substitute that would work well in place of sugar)? Thank you for setting us up with a perfect brownie recipe for the weekend:-). I’m dreaming of your brownies paired with a salted caramel latte!

106 Vicki October 20, 2011

Hi Angela!
I made these brownies right after I read the recipe last night. THEY ARE AMAZING!!!! Thanks for sharing :o)

107 ReneeB October 20, 2011

These brownies look great, I can’t wait to try making them!

108 Cat @Breakfast to Bed October 20, 2011

I would either a: just eat the batter or b: just eat the edges!!!

109 Becky October 20, 2011

I’m crazy over fudgy brownies! One of my very favorite desserts. Actually, I just posted about pumpkin brownies in celebration of autumn and chocolate. :) Delicious! These look heavenly.

110 Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood October 20, 2011

These look absolutely incredible! Thanks for sharing :-D

111 Beth - Tasty Yummies October 20, 2011

These look so delicious. I seriously cannot get enough almond flour in my gluten-free baking, what a super incredible ingredient it is. I bet these would be good with a little sprinkle of coffee, too.

112 Carolyn @ HealthKitten.com October 20, 2011

I am just DROOLING over here! Do I see another addition to the Glo Bakery lineup? ;)

113 Maya@DessertisinaDifferentPocket October 20, 2011

These look awesome- especially the gooey looking one on the left. Can’t wait to try them.

114 Lauren October 20, 2011

Just wondering, if these were to be a vegetarian, GF version, would I just sub an egg for the flax/water combo? They look delicious, btw. Thanks!

115 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 20, 2011

Hi Lauren, I’m really not sure how they would turn out with a real egg. Vegan brownies are very sensitive to changes usually! good luck if you do try it out

116 Lauren F October 20, 2011

I have a great healthy brownie recipe, and I sub’d the flax egg or a real egg and it worked out perfectly! Check it out!

117 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 20, 2011

yum!!

118 Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner October 20, 2011

you must have so much patience in the kitchen…
the brownies look good :)

119 Char @ www.charskitchen.ca October 20, 2011

ohhh gosh, it’s been awhile since I had a really good brownie. I’m with you on the texture thing: not cake-y! Dense, fudgy, chewy, with a crispy edge. I used to have use a link on VegWeb for THE BEST brownies, but I’m not sure which one it was anymore…so I’m stoked to try yours :D

120 Moni'sMeals October 20, 2011

I would love to try these, they sound, look, and (duh) just have to be amazing! Love your ingrediants here.

I agree…with almond milk, it is a slice of heaven on earth. :)

121 Natasha Cook October 20, 2011

I can’t thank you enough for this! Brownies are my FAV but buying healthy versions is so expensive and the texture usually isn’t quite right. I’ll be making this for the holidays..and probably a lot of days afterwards. Thanks again Angela!!!

122 Alicia October 20, 2011

These look amazing! I can’t wait to try them. Thank you Angela!

123 Anna @ The Guiltless Life October 20, 2011

These look so delish – I might try to throw another element in there and make them naturally sweetened. I’ll let you know how it turns out! (I don’t need gluten-free so would probably just do this with the vegan version).

124 Lori Rasmussen October 20, 2011

Brilliant! Just made them this morning. The recipe was easy & they’re moist and delicious! My husband and I will enjoy them before AND after running a race this weekend. Thank you so much!

125 Kristen @ Chocolate Covered Kristen October 20, 2011

Yum! I was actually brainstorming some vegan brownie ideas the other day. Brownies are my favorite and so far every “healthier” version I have attempted didn’t quite turn out. If my kitchen experiment doesn’t turn out I know whose version I will be trying!

126 Amber K October 20, 2011

YUM! Brownies have to be one of my favorite desserts of all time. While I won’t “ruin” them by adding nuts, I’ll certainly eat the nuts on the side ;) Thank you so much for sharing your failures as well, makes me feel better about all of my kitchen mistakes!

127 kathleen @ the daily crumb October 20, 2011

yum! very interesting that the gluten free look “fluffier” than the wwpf…

128 maggie October 20, 2011

The vegan gluten free ones changed our lives last month!!!!! I made them and preceeded to eat them at every meal…thanks :P

Maggie

129 VeggieGirl October 20, 2011

drool!!!!!!!!!!! That looks so fluffy and delish!

130 JessE @ Love Life From Scratch October 20, 2011

yum! I will have to omit the nuts for the bf. According to him, chocolate and nuts don’t mix :) Now that the temps are getting colder it is baking season again!

131 Erica @ Cupcakes & Coffee Breaks October 20, 2011

I found the cutest idea the other day on pinterest to do with brownies. Bake them individually in a cookie cutter! They’re so cute shaped, and can be modified to fit any occasion. I’m so excited to try that with these vegan brownies, thanks for the recipe :) (and check out my blog for a photo of the shaped brownies! http://cupcakesandcoffeebreaks.wordpress.com )

132 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 20, 2011

That’s a cool idea! I’ll have to try that sometime! Im thinking hearts for v-day :)

133 Sarah with Veggie Kids October 20, 2011

Oh my gosh! I’m making these this afternoon for my kids and their friends…if I make it for a bunch of kids then I’ll be less likely to over-indulge myself!!
Yum!

134 Anastasia@healthymamainfo.com October 20, 2011

This is such a bright idea! Thank you!

135 Jackie October 20, 2011

These look delicious! I have yet to make vegan brownies with that flaky top that conventional egg-containing brownies can have. I’m excited to try one of these recipes. Where can I find a pastry roller like yours? I’ve only seen them with handles on the sides which doesn’t help for smoothing bars and brownies out in a pan.

136 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 20, 2011

I got it at the dollarstore :)

137 Sruthi @ Exercise, Food & Beyond October 20, 2011

These look so moist and fluffy. I have not had good brownies in a long time.

138 Abby White@Eat, Drink and Be Aware October 20, 2011

Oh my, I have had brownies on the brain for days now and was so happy to see you make some brownie recipes. They both look great but I am going to go with the vegan version. Thank you. Thank you.

139 Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl October 20, 2011

I will take all 3 please. :) At first, I concluded the GF only because it was bigger. ;) But they all look very delicious. How fun to do a blind taste test with brownies.

140 Laura (the first mess) October 20, 2011

I made the GF ones today.
I had life-affirming epiphanies.
That is all.

141 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 20, 2011

haha nice! :) Glad to hear that Laura

142 Alex @ Raw Recovery October 20, 2011

These look absolutely mouthwateringly delicious. As soon as I get out of the hospital I want to make them!! Maybe I’ll have my sister make them and bring them to me. Her best friend has celiac and loves vegan goodies so I’m sure they will be eager to try them!

143 Maria October 21, 2011

Those look absolutely delicious! Can’t wait to try them! Thanks for sharing. :-)

144 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers October 21, 2011

Those look great! I think I’d prefer the dough. :)

145 saniel October 21, 2011

what type of cocoa powder and non-dairy chocolate chips do you use?brand

146 Greta October 21, 2011

I just made a variation of these, substituting the cup of sugar for half a cup of brown rice syrup (decreasing the amount of milk as well), and the Earth Balance for coconut oil. If anything, I thought they’d be too moist and batter-y, but they turned out really cake-like and sort of bitter. I’m not blaming you at all, though, Angela – obviously I should have listened to you! Consider this more of a warning: don’t mess with Angela’s recipes. They’re good as they are.

147 carla October 23, 2011

I tried making with agave and increased the flour. A little too dry, but great with cicnut ice cream!

148 Wendy Irene October 21, 2011

I am so excited to try this brownie! The timing is perfect because I just tried making my first Vegan brownie and it came out rock hard. I am so excited to try this recipe. Your chocolate chip cookie recipe is my new fav! Happy Weekend :)
p.s. what are your favorite Vegan desserts to make for the holidays? I’m trying to brainstorm ahead of time. Things get crazy with little kids.

149 Nic@diningwithastud October 21, 2011

These look absolutely delicious! Im not vegan or GF but I would love either of these :) They look great!

150 Katie @ BloomEveryday October 21, 2011

Brownies looks so good! My hubby’s bday is tomorrow…mayhaps I will whip up some for him!

151 Elizabeth October 21, 2011

I’m going to make these for my boyfriend to show him that vegan food can be yummy food!! thanks Angela!

152 Jonathan October 22, 2011

If only I ate chocolate. Nevertheless, I’m so glad you posted both recipes, and with more than just a little bias, I’m glad you preferred the GF/V version in the end. And even though I myself don’t eat chocolate, I know a lot of my GF, DF, and V friends who would do anything for a delicious chocolate brownie. Will definitely be making these for them this holiday season.

Thank you, as always, for sharing. :)

153 Sierra October 22, 2011

Yay! Can’t wait to try these! :D

154 The Dainty Pig October 23, 2011

Hey lovely lady!
these look GLORIOUS!!!!
I have been looking for gluten free + vegan brownies for sooooo long.
Just a quick question: are you using alkalized cocoa powder?
thanks!!
~~jess (thedaintypig)

155 Irina October 23, 2011

the brownies look great, the recipe is printing…
I’ve never seen pastry rollers like that, wonder what could be used instead of it? Probably would be ok if it was just patted down with the back of a spoon?

156 Tanya @theskyandback October 23, 2011

Made the gluten free last night: A+!

157 Zoe October 24, 2011

Finally got around to making these brownies – first batch were exactly as the recipe (non GF) and were delicious. Made a second batch where replaced the earth balance with 1/2 mashed banana, increased the choc chips by 1/4 cup and used Stevia instead of sugar. Was good – just a little bit more ‘cakey’ but still moist and yummy.

Thank you for the inspiration.

I’m off to make your Perfect Burgers again today!

Zoe

158 Lindsey October 24, 2011

Can’t wait to try this recipe!!

159 Steph October 24, 2011

Hi Angela,
I just made your vegan all purpose flour brownie recipe and followed it exactly; however, they kind of crumbled apart. The batter looks just like yours, thick and wet. Tasted amazing too, but once they were cooked and cooled and I cut them they crumbled apart everywhere! What could I have done wrong?

160 Janna Kepley October 24, 2011

You made the SparkPeople’s “This Week’s Healthy Headlines” again!

161 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 25, 2011

yay!

162 Adija Mugabo October 25, 2011

I just made these brownies tonight and they are a new favorite of mine. They did take awhile to make and it took over two hours to cool without crumbling, but they are more than worth it!!!!! I swear, you should definitely write a cookbook one day and include this recipe. These recipes are certainly worth the price, however I can also see that it can be even more rewarding to share your recipes when their isn’t a monetary value attached to them. I picked that up in my psychology classes, as I’m sure you did too ;).

163 Sonia (the Mexigarian) October 25, 2011

:drool: working backwards on your posts (haven’t been here in a while) and I regret not popping up more. must make this brownie this weekend!!

164 mindy October 25, 2011

Do you have the Nutritonal info> of course id use whole wheat flour.
Want to make a healthy treat 4 halloween

Mindy
Magiikal@aol.com

165 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 26, 2011

No I’m sorry I don’t have the info.

166 Jacqui Peluso October 26, 2011

I believe you can find the nutritional data by adding the ingredients to http://nutritiondata.self.com You have to register to the site and you can create an analysis of the ingredients.

167 rachel October 30, 2011

i made these and they are so good! i made sure to follow the directions just right but my batter was way too easy to stir it wasn’t as thick as yours was in your pictures…any suggestions? i ground my almonds and they seemed kind of wet, could this have been my problem?

168 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 30, 2011

It sounds like you may have over-processed your almonds? If you process them too much they will release oils….not sure if that would be the reason or not! Did they turn out?

169 Melanie October 30, 2011

Made these this afternoon and let me just say OMG!! The batter was lick -a licious and the brownies…………..HEAVEN! The only thing was my bottom of the browies didn’t get hard, it stayed gooey, but they were heavenly. I cooked them in a glass 8×8 dish. I made the regular vegan version!! Hubby said he would like them a little more cakey, but that they were fabulous. I ate two and the second one was a bit too much. VERY rich and yummy! Thanks!!!

170 Kaley G October 31, 2011

Hi Angela,

I have been a quiet follower for the past two years! I absolutely love your site! It is wonderful!

I was thinking about making your vegan brownies above and I wanted to incorporate coconut flour, any suggestions how I could substitute this into your recipe? Would I replace the all-purpose flour with coconute flour, same amount?

Thanks

171 Jenni November 4, 2011

Hi – I made these brownies and they tasted nice but mine ended up being so dry! I didn’t even cook them as long as was suggested but they tasted like I had cooked them forever. What is the best way to counteract this? More Nature’s balance? Less cooking time? Or maybe both?

172 Shannan Bernico November 10, 2011

I made these last night. SO good! I have tried countless Vegan Brownie recipes and none of them have worked! I will be making these again and again. :)

173 raechel @the rebel grrl kitchen November 14, 2011

finally made the GF version last night. DELICIOUS! thank you for another awesome recipe. :)

174 spacegirl melissa November 15, 2011

Making these for a dinner party tonight, I tried the GF version so everyone can enjoy! (plus, i super love almond flour!) I have an oven thermometer, which showed the oven was at 350c. when i pulled them out after 35 mins the top crust was dry but i stuck a toothpick in, and it came out all goopy, so in they went again… after 2 mins, same thing! so, 5 more mins…. still no change! just wondering if this is supposed to be this way so that the brownie turns out fudgey? i’m gonna chance it. hope they aren’t uncooked inside! *fingers crossed for magical brownies!*

175 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 15, 2011

Hey!

The crust is supposed to be firm and flakey with a soft middle (but not super gooey though). You do have to let the brownies cool for 60-90 minutes in the pan after they come out of the oven…this part is essential for them to set.

Let me know how they turn out!

176 Andrea November 21, 2011

I made the vegan version for work, and needless to say, everyone LOVED them!!! It was also fun to surprise skeptics with the info that they were vegan, after they had tasted them. I substituted a flax egg with a chia egg, and all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour, b/c that is what I had on hand, and it worked well! Looking forward to making these for Thanksgiving, as well as some of your other delicious recipes! Thanks!

177 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 21, 2011

Hey Andrea, that’s great to hear! :) Glad you all enjoyed them….wish I had one now! hah

178 Collette April 10, 2012

I’ve been cooking and BAKING vegan for over 15 years now and while I’ve recreated nearly every non-vegan dessert I could think of, I never had the patience to come up with the perfect vegan brownie. I’m so glad you’ve done the work for me! I am greatly lookig forward to making these. They look fantastic.

179 lindsay April 18, 2012

So I’m not a vegan but I signed up to bring in vegan brownies to work for a vegan brownie bake-off. After searching a ton of recipes I decided on this one (the pictures sold it!), and I have to say…I LOVED them!!! I actually had to re-read the ingredients after tasting them because I didn’t even believe they were vegan, and I had just made them!! hahaha

Thank you soooo much for this recipe, they are sure to be a hit!

180 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 19, 2012

haha that’s awesome!

181 Karen May 8, 2012

I made the vegan, gluten-free brownie and put in a can of pumpkin puree. It came out incredibly moist. I regret having to use the brownie mix from Trader Joe’s instead of buying the individual bags of dry ingredients (arrowroot, brown rice flour, xanthan gum). It still came out quite good, however I didn’t put the vegan chocolate chips. I was ready to buy it at the store, and to my surprise — they had dairy in them. So I omitted the chocolate chips from the recipe. In hindsight, the chocolate chips would’ve made the brownies sweeter. The cocoa powder, vanilla, and agave sugar (as well as the organic cane sugar in the brownie mix) gave it that chocolate taste, but it was very slight. Lesson learned. I’m definitely going to experiment next time and measure the ingredients according to recipe. And of course, throw in a “mystery” ingredient or two. Ever since I started baking these brownies, I began to take an interest in vegan/gluten-free foods. I surfed around the web, reading blogs about vegan cooking, then researched a similar ingredient used to replace xanthan gum and arrowroot — agar agar. It’s used as a thickener.
Keep up the great work Angela! I love your blog! I definitely will try some more of your recipes.

182 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 8, 2012

Hi Karen, Thanks for your comment! Im glad you are having fun playing around with the recipes.

183 Monica May 23, 2012

Do you have nutritional info for these? Just curious how they compare to regular brownies.

184 Mallory Larkin June 17, 2012

In the oven right now for Father’s Day! That’s all my Dad wanted so I’m sure they won’t disappoint : )

185 Rachel July 18, 2012

These are so incredible and perfect in every way that I love a brownie. Thank you Angela!!! I will make these again and again and again…

186 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2012

Hey Rachel, Im so happy you enjoyed the brownies! Thanks for letting me know. They are a fav around here too.

187 Sara August 4, 2012

1.5 hr cool time—booo!! I will do it though;) For a chance to try a perfect brownie perhaps?!

I had some leftover BAD sugar and bread flour that I couldn’t stand to just throw in the trash so I used a bit in this recipe and then some brown rice flour. Hopefully it works out well!

I like the texture as I was putting them in the pan though:) Raw batter was yummy too;P

188 Jen September 2, 2012

Hi there! I baked the vegan version last night and they were mighty crumbly! As you chewed them they became more gooey, but hard to handle initially. The only thing I didn’t get perfectly was the almond meal. I happened to have a boat load of almonds on hand and decided to try it out. I was worried they were becoming buttery (kind of turning into little balls) so I just threw it in at that point. I was doing short bursts and everything with my food processor! Any tips on how to make these more moist initially?

Jen

189 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 3, 2012

Hey Jen,

These brownies are very crumbly if you remove them from the pan & cut before they have fully cooled. I find they need a good 1-2 hours in the pan or longer, then they are fine for me. Also, if the meal isn’t completely ground up that may have impacted the brownies too. I hope you have better results if you try them again!

190 Heather L September 16, 2012

Wow! I made these tonight to bring for a dinner and they totally outdid my expectations. I’m not vegan, but these are my new go to brownie recipe. I’m going to try very hard not to eat the few I have left tonight. Thanks very much for the recipe!

191 Shealyn September 23, 2012

These are in the oven right now! I’m so excited to see how they turn out (the plain vegan recipe). You were right, the batter definitely gets dry while mixing. I hope my mom likes them, she’s recently gone vegan with my dad and me and there’s nothing quite like brownies, especially when you’re craving brownies. Thanks for your blog! I love spending hours drooling over your recipes. I can’t wait to try your pumpkin recipes and the tomato basil coconut soup. Mmmm :)

192 bonnie keyser September 28, 2012

RE: Vegan brownies (not GF)
I am amazed! They look and smell and (from a tiny crumb I stole) seem to be the real deal. A little nitpicking, though. The ingredients list could be more specific and call for chocolate chips rather than just “non-dairy chocolate”. Obviously chips are needed as in step 4. Also, in step 3, directions should say “add 1/2 cup of chocolate chips” rather than just chocolate.

193 Emily September 29, 2012

I’m baking these right now! But mine are pretty liquid-y, not dry. Is that bad? Or is it because of something like high-altitude?

194 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 30, 2012

hmm it could be…did you make any changes to the recipe? Let me know how they turn out!

195 Zugey October 14, 2012

Angela, I made the brownies this afternoon, and all I can say is, DELICIOUS! By far one of the best vegan brownies I have made and eaten. Thank you, thank you. There is no doubt that these will be made more than once a month. <3

196 Nina October 17, 2012

These are fantastic! We did the gluten-free, vegan ones. We are on our 3rd batch in a week! Made a few subs: didn’t have rice flour so did Bob’s Red Mill GF flour (your recipes are so flexible I figured it wouldn’t be a problem), a little less cocoa, baker’s dark chocolate and used only 1/2 cup, and no canola oil because research coming out bad for body and thyroid.

These are the best! Thanks so much Angela!

197 Cindy December 2, 2012

I made these today for my whole family for Sunday dinner. They were a huge hit! My family is not vegan diet friendly, but these may tip the scales :) thank you!

198 Rachel B @ Busy Mama Fitness December 12, 2012

All right, found my baking experiment for the day!!! Been dying for a good gluten-free vegan brownie!

199 Carissa December 23, 2012

These were the best brownies I’ve ever made – vegan or non-vegan – but I used a glass baking dish and easily doubled the cooking time (they still came out a bit raw). I added crumbled candy cane instead of nuts and it was devine.

200 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 24, 2012

im so happy to hear that!

201 Herbivore Triathlete January 14, 2013

Brownies are what I’ve had the most trouble with since going vegan too! I’m going to have to try your recipe. My most recent batch ended up as brownie pudding!

202 Alina January 19, 2013

Hi. I just made this recipe. The brownies are in the oven. But the dough was not hard like in your pictures. The only different thing I did, was melting the butter and chocolate chips on the double boiler ( a don’t have a microwave). Do you think I did something wrong?? Thanks.

203 Nicole January 22, 2013

These brownies are seriously amazing. I made the gluten free version and they are so moist and dense and just about perfect. They have a great, crispy top as well. I pretty much can’t make them or I’ll eat the whole pan in a few days. I haven’t been disappointed by one recipe I’ve tried; for someone who is gradually transitioning into a more plant-strong diet, I cannot tell you how nice it is to have confidence I’m going to like any recipe I try from this blog. I also love your photography.

Thanks again for all your great recipes!

204 Eloïse January 25, 2013

Yum! These are very delicious! So satisfying! Will have to try the GF version next time.

205 Nina January 31, 2013

Everything Nicole said above I second. GF version is moist, dense and comes out picture perfect everytime. 35 mins. and perfection. These brownies are a staple at our house. All of your recipes are always so forgiving of substitutions which we greatly appreciate. We made them with Bob’s Red Mill All-Purpose GF flour and they cut easily 10 mins. after taking them out of the oven. May be difference between brown rice flour and Bob’s Red Mill GF flour. We also didn’t use the walnuts but that probably doesn’t make them crumble when warm. They really are lovely fresh out of the oven. So thankful these don’t have ingredients like xanthan gum or fake egg replacers. My daughter thinks you are terrific. If you can come up with a vegan, gluten-free, gum-free pancake without funky faux ingredients, she will be eternally grateful!

206 Cathy February 5, 2013

Oh wow, I can’t wait to try the gf version. I have been vegan for just over a month but just this week started to suspect that I might be intolerant to wheat. Yay, brownies!

207 lina February 13, 2013

loved the recipe! i’ve tried many brownies recipes but all of them came out super greasy. i tried the regular ones, i didn’t have enough almond flour so i used half of it and the other half arrowroot. i baked them for 30min and maybe i should have looked around 25 but they were delicious! even my non-vegan family enjoyed them, thank you :D

208 Fran March 11, 2013

Currently eating one of these with a scoop of swedish glace vanilla soy ice cream on top :) heavan!

209 mary March 27, 2013

can you use a replacement for the earth balance ( reduce or elminate fat) such as applesauce?

210 Tammy T March 27, 2013

These are the best brownies ever! My only alteration is to use whole wheat pastry flour insetad of all purpose. They are dense and wonderful! Thank you for such a great recipe!

211 Shona April 2, 2013

Just made your brownies and wow awesomely good. Thanks

212 Veronika April 7, 2013

I just made these brownies today – SOOOOOOO Good! Thank you so much!

213 Whitney April 16, 2013

Hi Angela! I’m a long-time follower of your blog and try lots and lots of your recipes. I am also a newly awakened vegan (the past month or so), and vegetarian of 1 1/2 years. I just wanted to say that I’ve tried several vegan brownie recipes, and like you said, most have turned out kind of “cakey.” If I want cake, I’ll make cake! I love a brownie to be thick and dense and fudgy- something to really sink your teeth into! I made this brownie recipe (not the GF) last night and OMG… they are SO amazing! I’m a chocoholic, and I was in heaven!

This morning, I’m indulging my chocolate whims with your chocolate cake batter smoothie recipe, and half a brownie crumbled in. Wowzas. YUM! Thank you for your wonderful recipes! I can’t wait for your cookbook to come out!

214 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 16, 2013

Hey Whitney, I’m so happy you enjoyed them!! Thank you so much for letting me know :)

215 Amanda April 20, 2013

Sweet Jesus, these look amazing!

216 Alex May 2, 2013

I can’t get Earth Balance, would coconut oil work? I haven’t had brownies for so long.

217 Mandy May 3, 2013

I’m doing the gluten-free version right now, with walnuts and pistachios in a cupcake pan. I’ll come back later to tell you how it went!

218 LINDA July 6, 2013

I was so scared to try these vegan brownies, but the recipe was so simple and they are delicious. posted a picture on facebook. Once again thanks Angela your just amazing, you are really gifted.

219 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 7, 2013

Thank you Linda! So glad you enjoyed them :)

220 Lauren July 25, 2013

Just made these brownies today and OH MY!!!!!!!! They are awesome!!! These are the first Vegan brownies I have tried that have turned out beautifully! Definitely a keeper. Also may I just say that every one of your recipes that I have tried to date have turned out wonderfully and have tasted equally as amazing! I have been following your blog for some time now and I am so inspired by your story and by your great recipes that I thought it was well past time that I thanked you for sharing all your recipes and encouragement on your blog.

221 Eliana July 31, 2013

Hi Angela! Just wanted to let you know that your vegan brownies recipe has crossed the ocean and reached the coasts of Argentina :) Me and my partner tried it and it was delicious! Best vegan brownie ever…thanks for posting! Greetings from Buenos Aires :)

222 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2013

haha that’s awesome! Thanks for trying them :)

223 Alex August 13, 2013

I just tried making the vegan version. I was really happy with the consistency but I found the almond meal took over the flavor. Is it possible that I could get away with substituting whole wheat pastry flour for the almond meal, possibly changing the amount if need be? And I use EnerG in place of eggs rather than flax meal, how many “eggs” should I use with this recipe?

224 Jessica B August 21, 2013

Have you tried the gf brownies with a non-nut flour? With one daughter gf and another nf, it’s hard to find one both ways.

225 Chava August 22, 2013

This recipe http://ohsheglows.com/2011/10/19/vegan-brownies-two-ways/ says it’s vegan but then you say in step 3 to mix the eggs in. Yikes!

226 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 22, 2013

they are flax eggs :)

227 Abby Cobb September 29, 2013

Best brownies I’ve ever had. Made them for a healthier brownie recipe and I loved them! Thanks Angela!

228 Sky October 16, 2013

I made the GF version for a work gathering that included GF and vegan folks but I think I overbaked them slightly as the edges were pretty hard and sandy. I cut them off and saved them to crumble over ice cream later.

The finished product was still a little dry and sandy for my liking so I made a quick icing with 1 Tbsp earth balance, 1 Tbsp cocoa powder, 3/4 C powdered sugar and 1 1/2 Tbsp maple syrup then used a piping bag to make rosettes diagonally and decorated with a light dusting of icing sugar. The creaminess from the frosting was quite nice and the decorative finish really took these up a notch.

229 Emily October 24, 2013

Hi there! Great recipe. Though I’m about confused about the parchment paper. Do I leave it on during the baking process or remove it?

230 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2013

Hi Emily,
Yes you leave it on during the baking process. Enjoy!

231 mel November 10, 2013

I tried the first recipe a while ago and it was amazing. The batter is definitely strange, but I was so tempted to eat it “raw” it was good! I’m often disappointed by brownies because they taste more sugary than chocolatey but these ones had wonderful chocolate flavour! thanks.

232 Kay December 11, 2013

I made these last night and they were amazing!. I didn’t have enough cocoa powder so i added some shredded coconut in with the mix to make sure the texture wasn’t too runny. It worked really well together. Great recipe. Thanks so much for posting.

233 GeeGee December 16, 2013

I made these (vegan version) brownies two hours ago and I can’t stop eating them. I didn’t have AP flour so I used whole wheat flour and made my own almond flour. I omitted the walnuts (brace face) and added butterscotch pieces and this was simply amazing. Moist and fudgy. My favorite vegan diner makes the worst vegan treats so I had to give this one a try and I will definitely make this one again and again. THANK YOU FOR THIS AMAZING RECIPE.

234 apsara December 16, 2013

I have recently started a GF diet and tried this twice with a few variations, it is so awesome! Thank you. May I include this in my blog, including the link to your webpage?

235 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 17, 2013

Glad you enjoyed it! Yes, you can link to my post and use a picture if you’d like (with credit) but I don’t permit re-posting of my recipes. Hope this helps!

236 apsara December 17, 2013

yes, that is what I was going to do. thanks!

237 Dev December 17, 2013

Wow. One word: Delish!

238 Alexandra December 20, 2013

I just made these, I used almond-rice milk, for the rest I closely followed your recipe and the brownies turned out AMAZING! Thank you so much, I am trial baking for my family Christmas dinner next week and will serve them these brownies, thanks! One question: do you think you can use Chia seed ‘eggs’ instead of flax eggs? They might have a less distinctive taste I think… Did you ever try that?

239 Sabrina January 7, 2014

Like an idiot…I followed the non gluten free version exactly but used Bob’s Red Mill all purpose flour instead of regular flour. I’m glad because the brownies turned out AMAZING! The best brownies I have ever had. Now to keep myself from eating them all in one day…

240 Sabrina January 7, 2014

Sorry typo *I used Bob’s Red Mill all purpose GLUTEN FREE flour instead of regular flour. woops

241 Ran January 19, 2014

Hi Angela, these look amazing! I have a question, is there a reason 1 cup of almonds = 1.5 cups of almond meal? I’m still quite an amateur baker. Thank you!

242 Lucia A February 3, 2014

Thanks for the recipe. I tried making the Vegan+GF recipe and sub the flax seed egg mixture with applesauce. They didn’t rise that much, which makes me believe that I should have added the flax see egg instead. Have you tried making these with applesauce?

243 Milani Renee February 14, 2014

am snacking on the batter as I type…I don’t have non dairy chocolate, so I used twice as much coco powder and coconut oil… Its in the oven now; hope it comes out ok…. and I only have almond-coconut milk, so I used that and the batter is so good I almost didn’t want to bake it, but I just wanted to eat it as is… yeah yum

244 Sarah February 17, 2014

I made these for an engagement party and people devoured them like they were water in the desert. THANK YOU! I doubled the recipe and cooked it for a little longer in a bigger pan, and I think the thicker brownies may have made them even better. I also doubled the vanilla and added a small amount of coffee grounds to the chocolate. Oh, and I didn’t use the pastry roller. They may not have been as pretty but it didn’t hurt the taste at all. Thanks again. Great recipe.

245 Chia February 23, 2014

OMG! I couldn’t wait 1.5 hours! I just cut myself a little piece after 15 min of cooling, and yes it crumbled BUT…. I could taste the goodness of it. I am new to making Vegan and Gluten free desserts and so far you have the best recipes. They’re so easy to follow too. Thank you and keep making new discoveries. :D

246 Mari March 4, 2014

MMM! The BEST brownie I have ever tasted :)! The Texture is perfectly moist but also somewhat cake-y. Absolutely a new favorite!

247 Adelaïde March 25, 2014

Hi! These look amazing. If I want to swap out part coconut oil part applesauce for the butter, do you think that would work? I would do half and half. Thanks!!

248 Andrea March 30, 2014

Hi,

I can’t find my ground flax but I do have egg replacer. Did you try the brownie recipes with egg replacer and how would you advise if that’s all I have for a leavening agent?

Thanks

249 Alyssa March 31, 2014

I made these over the weekend to take on a camping trip. BEST IDEA EVER. They were a hit! I added a bit of instant espresso powder and used chocolate bars with espresso beans in them instead of regular chocolate chips and they were perfect for my coffee loving group of friends!! Thank you for sharing this magical recipe with us!

250 Roxy April 6, 2014

Made these tonight and they turned out great! My batter wasn’t THAT thick. Not to the point it required me to roll it out anyway. They are everything a brownie should be, chewy, chocolatey, delicious. And pretty easy to throw together! Thanks so much for a great recipe!

251 Devon Gingrich April 16, 2014

Hi Angela,

I love this recipe! It is my favorite brownie. I would appreciate it if you didn’t yell, though. It makes the stress of baking that much more difficult. Other than that, great work!

xoxo
Dancin Dev

252 Paty Shaulis April 19, 2014

Angela,
I bought your cookbook (which is AMAZING, by the way) and there is a similar recipe (maybe the same one?) in there and I have a question. It might seem obvious to most but I was wondering if you leave the parchment paper on top while baking. At first I thought no, but when I tried to remove it a ton of dough stuck to it so I put it back on and left it in. I know you did not say to take it off but in some cases, things are too obvious to mention and so now I am torn whether you meant to leave it in (because you didn’t mention to take it off) or didn’t mention it because it is obvious that we should take it off :-).
Thank you!

253 Michelle May 15, 2014

Hi Angela,
These look amazing! I was curious if you have ever used coconut oil rather than Earth Balance in your baking? I am trying to avoid products that contain palm oil and I was curious if you’d tried it.

254 Michelle May 15, 2014

Right after I posted this I read the GF recipe and found your note on coconut oil! :)

255 Aimee May 28, 2014

The link to the gluten free recipe isn’t working. Dying to make these. Thanks

256 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 29, 2014

its working now – recipage must have been down?

257 Julia May 31, 2014

Hi Angela,
I’m from Germany and have been reading your blog for quite while. I love how you don’t simply try to create tasty vegan food, but also take the healthy aspects into consideration. Combined with your sympathetic way of writing, your posts are so much fun to read!
This recipe was my second try – I still need to get used to measuring in cups instead of weight – and now I feel like: Oh my god, these brownies are by far the best ones I’ve ever eaten! Usually I like the taste of my baking attempts, but the texture almost always needs improvement. However, as you already wrote, these are simply perfect in every way. I merely replaced the walnuts for dried cranberries, so that the brownies get a fresh touch.

I wish you and your baby, and your husband, of course, the very best! It’s exciting to read about your (vegan) pregnancy, thanks a lot for letting the world know. (Besides, I hope Sketchie is doing fine as well.)

Good luck with everything!
Julia :-)

258 Menneh June 9, 2014

Could you tell me how many calories are in one serving of this please?

259 Barbara Laane June 29, 2014

My family really loves these brownies. I made the vegan and gluten free version and it turned out perfect! Thank you Angela for putting together such a wonderful recipe! I happened upon this site quite by accident and even though our family does eat meat, we are looking to reduce our dependence on animal products. I had no idea you could replace using an egg with flax and water. How ingenious!

260 Clare July 15, 2014

Do these brownies freeze well? Thanks!

261 Vegan Slaughterer July 27, 2014

OMG, Just made those and they are addictive! thanks so much :) as always, your recipes are a HUGE success!

262 Juliana July 29, 2014

Thanks for the recipe. It is my second time making them and we love it. So far the best vegan brownies I’ve made.

263 Michelene July 29, 2014

Oh my, I went from the cookbook, and I thought the batter was way too dry. So I added a couple of TBS of almond milk. We shall see what happens, they are cooling. I wrote a note in the book!

How do you know when the brownies are done? And did you bake with the parchment paper on top?

Love the book, people at work could not believe how great my “funny” food tasted! Starting at a new school, so I have all new people to mystify!

264 Anna August 3, 2014

I made the brownies out of your cookbook yesterday for the second time. The first time turned out pretty good but were still a little dry. Then yesterday they came out dry (even though I followed the exact cooking time) and were a little bit like cookies. Is it possible that when I mixed my almonds into flour they were not flour-y (inventing words;)) enough? or could the fact that I didn’t have enough parchment paper to roll on top have done anything? They still tasted delicious despite the fact that they didn’t taste very much like brownies though!

265 Shelby January 23, 2015

I got the recipe from the cookbook as well and they came out dry as a cracker and hard. The book measurements must be off.

266 Angela C. August 26, 2014

I made this this weekend and they came out amazing!!! They have a wonderful slightly crispy outer layer and are fudgy and delicious on the inside. Not one person said they would have ever guessed that they were vegan!! Score!! = ) I didn’t change anything and they came out great! This will definitely be my go to vegan brownie recipe from here on out!! Thank you so much!!

267 Hannah OBryan September 1, 2014

I made the gluten free version and they’re seriously the best brownies I’ve every had! I gave basically the whole pan away, so I’ve made them again this morning to enjoy with family :) They’re so rich and I love that they’re not too sweet. Just one cures the craving for brownies! Thank you!!

268 Andrea September 3, 2014

Hi Angela! I am hoping to bake these for my mom’s birthday tomorrow. I was wondering if you have ever made your gluten-free brownies with homemade brown rice flour. I was contemplating just using my Vitamix’s dry pitcher to turn brown rice into flour. Think it would work?

269 Amy September 19, 2014

These are incredible! Until now I haven’t found a single vegan brownie recipe that has that flaky crust on top- what do you think is responsible for it? It is critical to my brownie eating satisfaction!

I followed your instructions except had to use about 1 cup turbinado sugar bc I ran out of white sugar, and I doubled the amount of nuts as mix-ins (love extra nutty brownies so I couldn’t help myself). They came out awesome- perfect flavor! Texture was a little crumbly but I think if I had a pastry roller to press them down like you did that would have helped- I kind of got sick of fussing with spreading them out in the pan and just threw them in the oven so I take the blame on that one :) I made sure to let them cool completely to try and make up for it- ha!

I know you introduced a recipe rating system but I don’t see a way to rate these…?

270 Vv October 30, 2014

I would love to try baking both but I was wondering if the GF version would require some Xanthan Gum. If so, how much will it need?

271 Jenna November 2, 2014

Hi, I was wondering if I could replace the cane sugar with sgave or maple syrup? Thanks.

272 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 5, 2014

Hi Jenna, Swapping a dry sugar for another dry sugar is usually fine, but if you want to sub a dry sugar for a liquid one (such as you suggest here), it gets tricky because it throws off the wet/dry ratio in the recipe. For that reason I would not recommend it, unless you are fine with getting a different result. Hope this helps!

273 Zoë December 3, 2014

Made the vegan recipe and was delish!

Want to make again, but sub in more chocolate for the cocoa powder. Should I add more flour, to balance out the dry/wet ratio?

274 Maha December 7, 2014

Very Nice Post

275 Kirsten January 16, 2015

I made these but used coconut oil in place of butter and added pecans in with the walnuts. They’re baking now! I dislike chocolate cake and therefore even more so dislike cakey brownies. My husband likes cakey brownies so more for me on this one! Score! :)

276 Shelby January 18, 2015

I made the gluten free version of these brownies. I dont know what I did wrong but they came out so hard, almost like a thick chocolate cracker. When I went to use the flax seed egg that I set aside it almost looked like oatmeal that was left out for too long. I dont know if that made a difference? Did anyone else get this result or know what I might of did wrong?

277 Heidi February 6, 2015

Can I use coconut oil instead of earth balance?

278 Simran March 6, 2015

Heyy!
I was wondering is your batter pretty dry when you mix it all up? I’ve tried it 2 ways. The first time i tried i guess i added more milk than required and the batter wasnt dry but the brownies turned out nice and chewy. But while they were baking i started making a second batch cause i was worried they werent gonna come out right cause the batter wasn’t dry.
And then when the drier batch came out of the oven it was extremely crumbly and hard (obv i waited for it to cool etc), so i guess im just wondering what went wrong? :(
Your expertise would be greatt :D

279 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 9, 2015

Hi there, Yes the batter should be very dry, but if you keep mixing it it will eventually come together into a very thick dough. I also dont recommend making any changes as this recipe is very sensitive. I hope your next batch goes better! :)

280 meg March 10, 2015

you’re killing me that i would have to wait 2 hours before i can eat these brownies!!! i’m just going to eat the chocolate chips straight from the bag and call it a night (but will save these recipes for a day when my chocolate cravings are a little more patient, because they look delicious!!) xo

281 Sara Mita March 28, 2015

I’ve made these brownies, maybe 100 a times! My husband went on a business trip and I sent him off with about 10 pieces. We love them! Thank you, this recipe is seriously awesome! x

282 Katie April 4, 2015

I just made the regular (non gluten free) version and they’re good! My fiance loved them. I used white whole wheat flour and left out the walnuts because I’m bringing them to an Easter lunch with picky eaters. I also doubled the recipe and baked them in a 9×13 pan. Ended up cooking them about ten minutes extra because they are a little on the thick side and seemed really jiggly. Thanks for the recipe!

283 Lou April 6, 2015

Hi, just checking out your brownie recipe. It looks great but I am in UK and recipes here are worded quite differently to US. what does the term ‘devided’ refer to? Thanks

284 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 6, 2015

Hi Lou,

Divided means that I don’t use all of that particular ingredient in the same step. Hope you enjoy!

285 monica April 11, 2015

Hi Angela, this recipe looks great. Could I use all purpose flour or whole wheat flour in place of the almond flour/ almond meal? Thanks!

286 Cassidy May 9, 2015

Just put them in the oven! I didn’t have parchment paper- I’m hoping they still bake fine!

287 Cassidy May 12, 2015

These were so fantastic! I made them for Mother’s Day at my aunts house and nobody could believe they were vegan. They ate them all up! ( I might have eaten 3…)

288 Paula B May 30, 2015

I bake egg-free, per my son’s food allergies. I can replace eggs with flaxseed with success, except for brownie recipes. I use AP flour and butter for brownies, and the butter separates from the batter, as it bakes, leaving the brownie swimming n liquid butter. Do you have any idea why? I wonder if I can take this recipe and use AP flour (He’s allergic to tree nuts.) and butter, with success.

289 Hira June 10, 2015

Hi… great recipe thank you! Do you think I can substitute sugar for healthier sweetener? Like organic maple syrup or date syrup? Will it change the consistency too much if a liquid sweetener is used? Thank you

290 Magda Morales August 3, 2015

Hi!! Can you make these with cacao nibs instead of using the non-dairy chocolate? Or would the brownies turn out to be more bitter? Thank you!!

291 Bryony September 15, 2015

I just made these now and they have a yummy flavour but very very crumby and fell apart, taste a bit too dry to me .I followed the recipe exactly so Im not sure what was wrong, I will try them again with more liquid next time

292 Mariell September 27, 2015

The GF brownies came out great!! I love the texture, its so dence and chewy I could cry a happy tear! I let them cool uncovered overnight, and will be sharing with family after dinner today. Next time I would like to try oat flour in place of rice flour to see if they are equally successful. Thanks Angela, I can always trust your recipes.

293 Andrea December 20, 2015

I made these tonight and my whole family of non-vegans went absolutely crazy for them! While I was preparing them, they all were complaining, asking why couldn’t I just make “normal” brownies, and once they tried them each of them actually apologized saying they were delicious! Thank you so much for this recipe :)

294 Jean-Philippe Cyr December 22, 2015

Great recipe. I love your work!!

295 Jonathan December 28, 2015

any suggestion for replacing almond meal/ flour?
I know it is all the rage, but I am allergic to almonds.

296 Sherry January 6, 2016

I bought all the ingredients to make these tonight, as my first foray into vegan cooking, but what is “flax egg”? Thank you very much.

297 Georgette January 24, 2016

Made these today.. and they are awesome. Did not make the GF.

298 Safira January 25, 2016

THE.BEST.BROWNIE.EVER! This is by far the best brownie I ever tasted and/or baked. Thanks for sharing