Easy Vegan & Gluten-Free Crackers

IMG 3446 2 thumb   Easy Vegan & Gluten Free Crackers

Have you ever been at a point in your life when you feel a creeping urgency to do stuff?

Important stuff. Fun stuff.

I’m not dead yet stuff.

I’m not getting any younger stuff.

Life Crisis stuff.

I need to stop watching Fall TV and get off my butt stuff.

Eric and I came to this conclusion the other night. We had an amazing conversation about life, goals, and making sure our days are meaningful.

Then we each made lists. Bucket lists. A bucket list is sort of like a to-do list, but much more fun. I’ve made a Fitness Bucket List before too. Some of these things below I’m already working on, but putting them on paper makes them more mindful, real, and exciting. The list is also a great motivator to get off the couch at night and do something other than watch TV!

Write it down. Dream big. Allow yourself to write “crazy” ideas. Some of mine include:

• Learn how to horseback ride. Maybe even do a jump. Don’t die.
  • Learn to play the piano. Play at upscale restaurants complete with sparkly evening gown. <—don’t ask.
  • Create elaborate Halloween costumes complete with professional make-up.
  • Be a fashionista, or at least learn how to dress myself like a grown up instead of leaving the mall with a bottle of nail polish, a necklace, and another bra.
  • Write books. Cookbooks. Life books. Picture books. <—working on it
  • Manage anxiety better. <—working on it
  • Be a peaceful animal rights activist <—working on it
  • Take professional photography courses
  • Rescue dog from shelter
  • Stuff a piñata full of homemade vegan candies and beat the crap out of it with friends. Stuff face.
  • Start my own charity
  • Make the best vegan brownies of my life. <—Did it
  • Live in different parts of the world & travel
  • Weight train consistently <—working on it
  • Sign up for Toastmasters. Charm and dazzle. Pretend I’m George Clooney.
  • Make favourite cracker recipe. Repeat as necessary.

Did it.

IMG 3432 thumb   Easy Vegan & Gluten Free Crackers

I’ve attempted to make crackers on a regular basis, but it never stuck. I realized if I’m ever going to make my own crackers regularly, they had to satisfy the following:

• Healthy ingredients I’d feel good about eating on a regular basis
  • Low in added fat
  • DELICIOUS
  • Quick and easy to throw together

Jackpot.

IMG 3444 thumb   Easy Vegan & Gluten Free Crackers

You might be thinking, how can rolling dough be quick and easy?

I know, I know, no one wants to roll out dough. Even when I see recipes that require rolling, I usually pass them by. Rolling out dough can be scary even for practiced bakers. But this dough is honestly so easy to roll out.

IMG 3426 thumb   Easy Vegan & Gluten Free Crackers

It’s not sticky, rippy, or annoying in any way. Trust me, I would complain bitterly if it was.

IMG 3431 thumb   Easy Vegan & Gluten Free Crackers

In minutes you have crackers ready to go into the oven.

IMG 3437 thumb   Easy Vegan & Gluten Free Crackers

The only work you have to do after that is trying not to burn your tongue when they come out of the oven!

IMG 3447 thumb   Easy Vegan & Gluten Free Crackers

IMG 3446 thumb   Easy Vegan & Gluten Free Crackers

I finally feel like I’ve found “the one”. I’ll be seeing these again real soon, and next time, doubling the batch.

IMG 3445 thumb   Easy Vegan & Gluten Free Crackers

We enjoyed some with almond butter.

IMG 3450 thumb   Easy Vegan & Gluten Free Crackers

Mmm.

IMG 3453 thumb   Easy Vegan & Gluten Free Crackers

Best brownies of my life, you’re next.

IMG 3481 thumb   Easy Vegan & Gluten Free Crackers

What’s on your bucket list?

~~~

Today is the final day to vote in the Foodbuzz Awards! You can vote for all of your fav blogs here until 5pm Pacific time. Thank you guys for your support!

Kate October 17, 2011

Ive been looking for a vegan brownie recipe so im super excited for those, I love making crackers @ home im still trying to get something that resembles marys crackers though!

Happy Baker September 19, 2014

Kate, serenityfoods.com has a really good vegan brownie mix.

Margaret October 17, 2011

These crackers look very achievable. I was fine with rolling dough in the past, but since I went gluten free I’ve just assumed I’d end up with a disaster.
Angela thank you for your amazing blog. You inspire me every day.
I do miss your old header though! :)

Lillian October 17, 2011

These look fantastic! I’m adding this to the ever-increasing list of awesome recipes you’ve created that I want to cook. :) Have a good Monday!

Giulia @ Tutupa's Lab October 17, 2011

can’t wait for the brownie recipe! on my bucket list: see the aurora borealis, and possibly all of the seven wonders of the world ( of more categories), run a marathon, have children!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 17, 2011

These look so good Ange! I love making lists of all sorts, and I love crossing things off of them even more! A photography class is also on my list – gotta get on that one soon! I’d also love to see a bunch of states in the US that I haven’t been to yet, grow my own produce garden (you’ve already done that!), find my dream job, oh, and then there’s that issue of finding a husband!! Have a fantastic day!

BB October 17, 2011

These look wonderful! If I wanted to make these nut free could I just swap out the almond meal for whole wheat pastry flour? (Gluten isn’t an issue.)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 17, 2011

Yes I think many flours would work :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) October 17, 2011

i love homemade crackers…they always have the best flavor!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes October 17, 2011

I need to try these! Love the pics :)

Kelsey @ Living the Gluten Free Life October 17, 2011

These look sooo good! Can’t wait to try them out!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 17, 2011

I was just about to ask about “Make the best vegan brownies of my life. <—Did it" and then I read the last line.

Crackers are nice, brownies are better :)

Kidding!

These look AMAZING. Angela, wow. You outdid yourself. Massively wonderful job. I love the pizza cutter technique, too. Perfect precision. And that there's chunky seeds and texture to these and not everything is blended to a pulp. And there's nooch. And rosemary. Swoon.

I think these are on my bucket list!

Kirsten October 17, 2011

Wow…these look so good! I love the simplicity of them.

katie@ KatieDid October 17, 2011

Gorgeous, delcious! I tried making crackers once… big time fail. They seem intimidating, and apparently for me, rightfully so… but these look really simple! is a 1/2 cup of almonds really equal to 1/2 cup almond flour too? just curious!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 17, 2011

I’m not sure about that, but I assume it is? I will have to check next time. Either way I don’t think it will impact the overall results much!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 17, 2011

Update!! I just tested it (it was driving me insane wondering), and….. 1 cup almonds equaled 1.5 cups flour (when ground). So 1/2 cup almonds would equal 3/4 c flour. Interesting…

By the way, that’s non-packed almond flour, placed very loosely in the cup.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table October 17, 2011

I love the goal about making elaborate Halloween costumes. I always want to be that girl… and end up wearing a white button down and calling myself Tom Cruise. LOL!

Your crackers look amazing. I bet they are fantastic with hummus and cucumbers. Can’t wait for those brownies!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 17, 2011

LOL @ Tom Cruise…might have to steal that one! err…I mean create an elaborate costume of course..

Ashley October 17, 2011

I started my Bucket List a few years ago and was fortunate enough to cross “Take a trip to Spain” off after my dream vacation this summer!

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove October 17, 2011

The cracker recipe looks so interesting! It’s something I never would have thought of trying to make. I am super excited for that brownie recipe since that is something I would think to make. :)

kathleen @ the daily crumb October 17, 2011

i’m a visual learner and always wire down idea, hopes, dreams, expectations… makes things more achievable for me :)

these crackers look fantastic. thanks, angela!

Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy October 17, 2011

Those brownies look delicious cannot wait for the recipe! And I love how thick those crackers are! Yum!

Meredith October 17, 2011

I find it so funny that you have “take a professional photography course” on your list, when I would TOTALLY love to take a course from YOU! Your pictures are gorgeous but you still want to learn – what a great growth mentality!

I always think of the Aristotle’s “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit” quote. I like how many of the items on your list are ongoing. Most of my list is less “climb mount everest” and more “remember to floss” haha ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 17, 2011

What a lovely thing to say, thank you!

I love that quote :)

Jessica@Glaze October 17, 2011

UHG! I completely know how you feel! I have a major fear of being old and thinking of all the stuff I could have done. The typical bucket list items dont interest me. Yours looks more plausible. Great looking brownies! Not a vegan but I will try them!

Shanna October 17, 2011

Love the cracker recipe! Great idea with the bucket list too. It’s easy to say there are things you want to do with your life, but putting it in writing does seem to make it more of a necessity. If you ever come down to New Jersey, I can help you with your horseback-riding goal. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 17, 2011

I might have to take you up on that!

Natalie October 17, 2011

I love bucket lists!! And I love reading other people’s. I’m going to go back and read your fitness one and hopefully inspire myself :)

Also, I’m a rider, complete with jumping. Give it a try, it makes my life. :)

Allysia October 17, 2011

Hey, I’ve been wanting to join up with Toastmasters too, though if I’m being honest I probably won’t pretend I’m George Clooney. But setting goals is so much fun! I find it really sharpens my focus on the present moment, which inevitably makes life more enjoyable, and more purposeful! I feel like a kid when I write things like, “tour the world with my band” or “make a comic”, but kids know how to have all the fun, so is that really such a bad thing? :)

I’ve had the same problem with crackers (not too healthy, difficult to roll, etc), so this recipe looks great! So do the brownies…holy yum.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 17, 2011

Love your bucket list. I’ve never written mine out and I think it’s because it will overwhelm me with all the things I WANT to be doing in life and aren’t right now! But, I guess that’s the point of a list, huh? Anyway-bring on those brownies!

Aine @ Something to Chew Over October 17, 2011

You definitely need to try horseback riding :)

I love crackers – these look so good!

Faith @ For the Health of It October 17, 2011

My bucket list is still in progress…so far it includes a marathon (LOTS of work left on that one, heh), go to a Superbowl, go skydiving, travel somewhere (anywhere) in Europe, get a cabin in the mountains with my boyfriend for the weekend, and learn how to surf!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh October 17, 2011

Okay when I tried to grasp the concept of homemade crackers, I winced. Then as I read I became intrigued. I think I will put making homemade crackers on my bucket list because I absolutely would not do this otherwise. As far as the rest of the bucket list, I’ll have to think on that one. I know ziplining, paragliding off the side of Haleakala and bungee jumping in New Zealand are on the list. Just gotta get down to the proper weight limits first then watch me fly!

Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa October 17, 2011

Crackers are awesome. Brownies are better! When is the recipe coming??

I have been preparing a mental bucket list lately. I need to start making the changes in my life that I have been dreaming of for a long time!

sometime this week :)

Krystina (Organically Me) October 17, 2011

The crackers look great, but OH MY GOD those brownies!

Jennifer and Jaclyn @ sketch-free vegan October 17, 2011

these look so crunchy and easy! I like the light texture of brown rice flour

Dawn @ Blonde on a Mission October 17, 2011

Already voted for you =)
I’m trying out these crackers right now!! I have all the ingredients on-hand.
And I’m so looking forward to those brownies!

Thanks Dawn :)

Yolie @ Practising Wellness October 17, 2011

It’s so funny you should mention this, because my boyfriend (the Kiwi) and I were talking about our England Bucket List just this weekend. You see, he is from New Zealand, and I am from England (where we met, and where we live at the moment). But in two years we have plans/dreams to move and settle in New Zealand (scary and exciting at the same time, lol!) :-P
And after making that decision, and setting that 2 year target this weekend, it made us think of ALL the things we want to do in England (and Europe) while we still live here. So we are making a UK/EU Bucket List! :-D So fun! <3 Love yours – and love that you've been thinking the same thing, in a way!
Take care and have a beautiful day! <3 xyx

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 17, 2011

Wow that’s fun! Congrats :) I’m sure you will have the time of your life!

Bronwyn October 17, 2011

Too many things to count! I really need to get off my butt and work on achieving some of them. That’s one of my goals. Bucket list: sky dive, bungee jump, see the world, find a job that satisfies me, find a way to make that happen.

Lindsay October 17, 2011

I definitely know how you feel! I have a ‘bucket list’ in my head, but I’m not doing a very good job crossing them off :s

Beth October 17, 2011

These look great! I will be trying them. I made your pumpkin pie chia pudding parfaits with the ginger cookies Saturday, and they were amazing! I love gingersnaps and anything pumpkin, so that was a good match. I will definitely make them again.
Re: my bucket list, I just crossed one thing off (a half-Iroman triathlon) but have many more things, such as:
-go to Ireland
-join the Daughters of the American Revolution (um, finish my application…)
-Write a book
-learn to ski
-learn to knit and/or crochet
-stay in one of those glass-bottomed huts in Fiji
-and many, many more.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 17, 2011

I’m glad you enjoyed the parfaits!

Glass bottomed hut….*swoon*

Stephanie October 17, 2011

Mmm, brownies! BTW, I made your Pumpkin Pie Brownie for a potluck this weekend (though it was a Sweet Potato brownie, because I didn’t have any canned pumpkin or time to cook my sugar pumpkin)…oh my god, delicious! We were there for an hour, and there was about 1/4 left (which I left for other arrivals).

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 17, 2011

Glad it was enjoyed! I’ve been wondering if it works with SP so that’s great to know.

Ashley October 17, 2011

These crackers looks amazing– I’m totally afraid of rolling out dough too! And the bucket list is such a good idea, I’m thinking of doing that myself!

Sarah Dean October 17, 2011

My poor bucket list….I didn’t think I would be driven to accomplish things on it so quickly when I wrote it at 15….now that Im 21 Im half through…some things ive accomplished are get married, get my degree in nursing, run a half marathon, save someone’s life, eat organically…..some still to come…Travel to rome, plant a vegetable garden, own a home, open a bakery/coffee house(in retirement?:S)…..
Thanks for some inspiration…im going to try and make a longer bucket list this week!

Wow good for you!

Michaela October 17, 2011

I love your list! Please don´t die when jumping with a horse (maybe the one you took such a beautiful close-up of ;))! And trust me, its not that hard to do jumps (at least not the “smaller” ones).
My list includes going on a holiday with my girlfriends. We haven´t managed that so far, but I bet we would have a blast.
Besides, I don´t have that much on my list, as especially this year has been such a whirlwind where I fulfilled so many things (like traveling to a foreign place all by myself, try out new gym classes, run a public race, try new food…).

Beth - Tasty Yummies October 17, 2011

Wonderful post – I have so many items on my own mental list like this, but I have never written them all down in one place. You’ve inspired me to just that this week, such a great idea.

I can’t wait to try out these crackers, I am always looking for something different to dip into my homemade hummus or spread nutella on :)

Carolyn @ HealthKitten.com October 17, 2011

I love the idea of a bucket list! Right now, I feel like I’m at a crossroads and I don’t know which way to turn…I think this will be my project for tonight to be posted on my blog tomorrow.

An easy cracker recipe? Yes, please! I have some garlic herb goat cheese in the fridge dying to be spread on a nummy cracker! ;)

Happy Monday!