Vegan Pumpkin Mac ‘n Cheeze Sauce

Yesterday’s joke has actually turned into a self-fulfilling prophecy; I’ve been eating pumpkin non-stop all week. And I can’t seem to stop. Maybe there is some truth to my Long Weekend Hangover theory after all. Pumpkin does make everything better.

Oh, and I have a great Pumpkin chia pudding recipe coming up. It might be one of my all-time favourite quick & easy pumpkin recipes. It’s that exciting.

But so is this cheeze sauce…

IMG 3331 thumb   Vegan Pumpkin Mac ‘n Cheeze Sauce

I was thrilled to find out that many of you went crazy for my Butternut Mac ‘n Cheeze recipe. This recipe might go down as one of the most popular in 2011. I received all kinds of comments, tweets, Facebook comments, and emails about this recipe last week. It’s always good to know that you guys enjoy the same crazy things that I do!

IMG 2428 thumb1   Vegan Pumpkin Mac ‘n Cheeze Sauce

I knew a pumpkin version of this cheeze sauce was not far away. Many of you commented and told me that you made a pumpkin version and it turned out great. I was pretty excited about how quickly it would come together. All I had to do was stir in a cup of canned pumpkin at the end of making the sauce. Quick and easy!

There’s no blender required. No food processor. Just a stove top (but I’m sure you could also make this in the microwave too).

This Pumpkin Cheeze sauce exceeded my expectations. I couldn’t keep my spoon out of it.

IMG 3348 thumb   Vegan Pumpkin Mac ‘n Cheeze Sauce

Ok, Ok, it was my finger. Sue me.

IMG 3340 thumb   Vegan Pumpkin Mac ‘n Cheeze Sauce

This was so easy I wanted to shed tears of happiness. I’ve been having my share of frustrations with recipes over the past couple weeks and to have something come together perfectly on the first try was welcomed.

I love how orange the sauce is too. I never thought I would see the day when I would eat a cheeze sauce and feel healthy! The nutritional info was also a pleasant surprise (see end of recipe). I forgot how much protein and fibre nutritional yeast has in it!

IMG 3351 thumb   Vegan Pumpkin Mac ‘n Cheeze Sauce

I also wanted to point out that I made a couple adjustments to the original recipe. I cut the milk down to 3/4 cup instead of using 1 cup to make the sauce a bit thicker. I also cut down the salt to 1/2 tsp instead of 3/4 tsp. Lastly, I increased the nutritional yeast to 6 tbsp instead of 5 tbsp. I’ve updated these changes in the Butternut sauce recipe too.

I made two servings of pasta and added enough sauce until I felt like it was enough.

IMG 3358 thumb   Vegan Pumpkin Mac ‘n Cheeze Sauce

…which is a lot. :)

Bring it on!

IMG 3359 thumb   Vegan Pumpkin Mac ‘n Cheeze Sauce

As for which version I like better?

It’s close. I would have to say the butternut version wins by an inch. You really cant beat fresh, roasted butternut! With that being said, I know I will end up making this version more often just because it’s so easy.

Now, you can spice up this sauce any way you’d like.

I think a little cinnamon stirred in would be lovely to bring out the pumpkin flavour. I actually added some dried sage (after the photoshoot) and that was nice too.

I served it with red kidney beans and sautéed kale and a sprinkle of Herbamare. I also used some leftover cornbread topping and mixed it into my mac ‘n cheeze. Great idea.

IMG 3363 thumb   Vegan Pumpkin Mac ‘n Cheeze Sauce

Wondering where to purchase nutritional yeast? You can find it in the natural foods section of many grocery stores (Loblaws/Superstore carries it) as well as bulk food stores and health stores. I’m sure you can find it online too. For those of you who purchase nutritional yeast, please leave a comment and let me (and others) know where you buy it!

What other ways do you think this sauce could be adapted? Any other mix-in ideas? Any other vegetables?

I vow to try them all.

Sara October 13, 2011

Oh boy, I bet pumpkin gives it a great texture. I always just make single servings of the sauce, it might be handy to have some extra around.

WIERDGREENMAN October 13, 2011

You are a genius.

Julie October 13, 2011

I’m so excited to try this one now. We loved the butternut squash version last week. It was so delicious.

Lindsay @ biking before bed October 13, 2011

I have been searching for a savory recipe fo pumpkin. I normally use it in sweet breakfast and dessert items. I can’t wait to try this. I think it would be cute to serve it in hollowed out little pumpkins.

Natalie October 13, 2011

I got nutritional yeast at the bulk barn
Can’t wait to try this tonight

Rachel October 13, 2011

I get nutritional yeast in the bulk bins at Whole Foods but my mom found it at Costco!! :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

oh wow that’s cool costco has it! The US costco or Canadian>

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove October 13, 2011

Seriously – Costco has it?! Well, now I need to go check that out! That is amazing!!

Alyssa October 13, 2011

How long would this ‘keep’ in the fridge? A week? I’ve never tried anything like this.. I am curious.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

I would guess between 5-7 days in air tight container.

Ellie@fitforthesoul October 13, 2011

I just can’t wait to try this dish! It truly looks like a winnaaaaa. Hope you have a wonderful day Angela!

kathleen @ the daily crumb October 13, 2011

you honestly never feast to amaze me! just when i think you’ve outdone yourself, you go and make a pumpkin cheese sauce! yummy :)

Lauren at Keep It Sweet October 13, 2011

I am in love!

Amber K October 13, 2011

It looks delicious! I’m always a little leery of using pumpkin in savory recipes because it seems too sweet to me. I can never eat squash or sweet potatoes because they are just too sweet. (Insanity coming from a girl who has an insane sweet-tooth). I just like my savory and sweet to stay away from one another! And yet still….ugh it looks sooo good!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 13, 2011

finally a vegan cheeze sauce I have all the ingredients to on hand! woohoo, definitely trying this version out :)

Gina October 13, 2011

I can’t wait to make this. I made the butternut squash version the other day which turned out amazing! I am going to my parents this weekend and really wanted to make this for them but I am not sure I will be able to find canned butternut squash as they do not have a blender. Canned pumpkin is much easier to find though so thanks for posting this!

vanessa October 13, 2011

I always buy my Nutritional Yeast in the vitamin section at Whole Foods – they have a Whole Foods Brand that is relatively inexpensive for a HUGE container.

Jesica October 13, 2011

Do you ever roasted your own pumpkin to use in recipes? Right now pie/sweet pumpkins are far less expensive (here in central North Carolina, that is!) than canned pumpkin, and yield more pumpkin. And the taste & texture? Ohmygoodness so delicious. It also freezes really well for use later on … plus crunchy pumpkin seeds to put in/on everything (which I roast @ the same time as the pumpkin), including pasta!

This looks delicious. Can’t wait to try!

I get nutritional yeast in the bulk bins @ Whole Foods (again, in NC)!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

Hey Jesica, Yes I roasted a pumpkin last week and it was horrible! I think it was a bad pumpkin because it wasn’t sweet at all (even though it was a small pie pumpkin) I will have to try it again because I think I just got a dud!

Karlee October 13, 2011

I can never find nutritional yeast! The closest whole foods is an hour away. I guess I will have to buy online. I love pumpkin, this recipe is right up my alley, I think it would be good w a sprinkle of nutmeg. Do u think it freezes well?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

I haven’t tried freezing it but let me know if you try it out!

Erika October 13, 2011

For those of us who live too far away from any where that sells Nutritional Yeast, you can order it from Bob’s Red Mill or even Amazon. You usually have to buy it in a little bit of a bigger size but it’s so worth it!

Thank you for the amazing inspiration Angela, I’m a huge fan!

Amanda October 13, 2011

This looks so good! And I love how simple it is. I’m seriously tempted to make this for lunch instead of leftovers.

Cait's Plate October 13, 2011

Mmm – I love that. I would’ve gone with the butternut squash version myself :)

Jeni October 13, 2011

Bob’s Red Mill! And they deliver internationally, for anyone else who’s an expat!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes October 13, 2011

Ahamzing! Pumpkin does cure all :)

Andrea B. @ Vegvacious October 13, 2011

I can’t wait to try this – I’ve already made your butternut version twice! I always buy my nutritional yeast at the Bulk Barn.

Krystina (Organically Me) October 13, 2011

You make the best looking vegan mac & cheese I’ve ever seen!

Emilia @ Namaste Gurl October 13, 2011

Yum! Just made Chole Coscorelli’s version recently– which is more italian like– but your version looks better! Love the addition of notch– one of my favorite add-ins these days :) Mmmm. Can’t wait to try!

Sarah with Veggie Kids October 13, 2011

Wow-everything you make looks so amazing! I had an OSG recipe day yesterday it seems. My kids and I made your High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes and loved it! We couldn’t taste the beans at all-how cool! We also made Pumpkin Gingerbread Smoothie…sooo good! And today we’ll make the Ultimate Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf. We would’ve done it yesterday but I was missing a few ingredients. Thanks for all the goodies!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

Sarah, you’re on a roll! I’m so happy to hear the recipes are enjoyed.

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty October 13, 2011

I made the pumpkin version a few days ago, it was tasty and not to pumpkin(y)

Errign October 13, 2011

After reading your b-nut cheeze sauce recipe, I adapted slightly and made a pumpkin sauce and it was like crack! :) I add a dash of cumin to mine and less nutritional yeast, but oh my gosh, so good!

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles October 13, 2011

Awesome update! I’m planning on roasting up a little baby butternut squash when I get home to make the butternut version. I was planning on mixing in some peas, spinach, and cayenne!

Shannon October 13, 2011

Mine was cheap and easy ordered from amazon.com! This looks fabulous- can’t wait to try it! :)

katie@ KatieDid October 13, 2011

Mmmmm, I made a similar sauce but I used goat cheese and I cubed and roasted up pumpkin and pureed the cheese sauce with the pumpkin. I know roasting a pumpkin is so much more work than opening up a can of it but really, it was soo amazing. No I won’t be roasting a pumpkin every time I want some (which is often) but once in a while its an awesome treat.

Kimmie October 13, 2011

I can’t wait to try this in hopes that it tastes enough like “cheese” for my kids. My son battles with some terrible acid issues in his tummy and we are working hard to find foods that are not so hard on his stomach. I think he is going to love this sauce over noodles! Thank you so much for doing the hard work of experimenting so I don’t have to!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

Oh, I really hope it passes the test!

Becky October 13, 2011

Is Herbamare similar to Mrs. Dash?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

Is Mrs Dash sodium free? If so, then no!

Shannon ~ My Place In The Race October 13, 2011

Man, this looks delicious! :P

Alex @ Raw Recovery October 13, 2011

Looks delicious and I can’t wait to try it! I think you should come up with a great vegan version of a thick queso-like cheese dip!

Marcy October 13, 2011

I made the butternut squash mac and cheeze last night and loved it! I’ve already sent the link to a few friends! This one is next!

Marcy October 13, 2011

PS I’ve been excited to have leftovers for supper all day

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! October 13, 2011

I love all this mac n cheese lovin lately!!! This looks incredible!

Yolie @ Practising Wellness October 13, 2011

Oh my…that looks SO good! :-D <3 xyx

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 13, 2011

Oh I want to dive into a bowl of that mac n cheeze sauce. I bet that sauce would be divine on just about anything..a veggie dip, a salad dressing even, a marinade…you name it, I want it! YUM!

Danielle October 13, 2011

Hmm, I just made this for lunch, and I have to say that I didn’t really like it. I couldn’t even finish what I served myself! I thought it kind of tasted like pumpkin with mustard and nutritional yeast flakes stirred in. I add some extra pepper and some turmeric, but I didn’t like it any better. :( Also, the carb listing on the nutritional stats seemed higher than it should’ve been. I have to count carbs because I’m pre-diabetic, and when I did it the carb count was only a bit over 9…

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

Sorry to hear that you weren’t a fan of it!
The nutritional info was obtained from Nutrition data website and it’s calculated by their programs.

Arielle (Your Vegan Girlfriend) October 13, 2011