Vegan Pumpkin Mac ‘n Cheeze Sauce

Yesterday’s joke has actually turned into a self-fulfilling prophecy; I’ve been eating pumpkin non-stop all week. And I can’t seem to stop. Maybe there is some truth to my Long Weekend Hangover theory after all. Pumpkin does make everything better.

Oh, and I have a great Pumpkin chia pudding recipe coming up. It might be one of my all-time favourite quick & easy pumpkin recipes. It’s that exciting.

But so is this cheeze sauce…

IMG 3331 thumb   Vegan Pumpkin Mac ‘n Cheeze Sauce

I was thrilled to find out that many of you went crazy for my Butternut Mac ‘n Cheeze recipe. This recipe might go down as one of the most popular in 2011. I received all kinds of comments, tweets, Facebook comments, and emails about this recipe last week. It’s always good to know that you guys enjoy the same crazy things that I do!

IMG 2428 thumb1   Vegan Pumpkin Mac ‘n Cheeze Sauce

I knew a pumpkin version of this cheeze sauce was not far away. Many of you commented and told me that you made a pumpkin version and it turned out great. I was pretty excited about how quickly it would come together. All I had to do was stir in a cup of canned pumpkin at the end of making the sauce. Quick and easy!

There’s no blender required. No food processor. Just a stove top (but I’m sure you could also make this in the microwave too).

This Pumpkin Cheeze sauce exceeded my expectations. I couldn’t keep my spoon out of it.

IMG 3348 thumb   Vegan Pumpkin Mac ‘n Cheeze Sauce

Ok, Ok, it was my finger. Sue me.

IMG 3340 thumb   Vegan Pumpkin Mac ‘n Cheeze Sauce

This was so easy I wanted to shed tears of happiness. I’ve been having my share of frustrations with recipes over the past couple weeks and to have something come together perfectly on the first try was welcomed.

I love how orange the sauce is too. I never thought I would see the day when I would eat a cheeze sauce and feel healthy! The nutritional info was also a pleasant surprise (see end of recipe). I forgot how much protein and fibre nutritional yeast has in it!

IMG 3351 thumb   Vegan Pumpkin Mac ‘n Cheeze Sauce

I also wanted to point out that I made a couple adjustments to the original recipe. I cut the milk down to 3/4 cup instead of using 1 cup to make the sauce a bit thicker. I also cut down the salt to 1/2 tsp instead of 3/4 tsp. Lastly, I increased the nutritional yeast to 6 tbsp instead of 5 tbsp. I’ve updated these changes in the Butternut sauce recipe too.

I made two servings of pasta and added enough sauce until I felt like it was enough.

IMG 3358 thumb   Vegan Pumpkin Mac ‘n Cheeze Sauce

…which is a lot. :)

Bring it on!

IMG 3359 thumb   Vegan Pumpkin Mac ‘n Cheeze Sauce

As for which version I like better?

It’s close. I would have to say the butternut version wins by an inch. You really cant beat fresh, roasted butternut! With that being said, I know I will end up making this version more often just because it’s so easy.

Now, you can spice up this sauce any way you’d like.

I think a little cinnamon stirred in would be lovely to bring out the pumpkin flavour. I actually added some dried sage (after the photoshoot) and that was nice too.

I served it with red kidney beans and sautéed kale and a sprinkle of Herbamare. I also used some leftover cornbread topping and mixed it into my mac ‘n cheeze. Great idea.

IMG 3363 thumb   Vegan Pumpkin Mac ‘n Cheeze Sauce

Wondering where to purchase nutritional yeast? You can find it in the natural foods section of many grocery stores (Loblaws/Superstore carries it) as well as bulk food stores and health stores. I’m sure you can find it online too. For those of you who purchase nutritional yeast, please leave a comment and let me (and others) know where you buy it!

What other ways do you think this sauce could be adapted? Any other mix-in ideas? Any other vegetables?

I vow to try them all.

Stephanie Geary October 13, 2011

I can’t wait to try this! And the butternut squash version. I bought my nutritional yeast at Whole Foods Market in the states…I think Stop and Shop may also carry it in their organic section as well. I have also noticed that you can find just about anything on amazon.com including grocery items.

Thanks Stephanie!

Cat @Breakfast to Bed October 13, 2011

The butternut squash one made my night. I can’t wait to try this one!!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 13, 2011

Hmmm…. in my head, I’m not sure if I can bare to mix nutritional yeast into beloved pumpkin, but you’ve never steered me wrong, so I’m sure it must be good!! Sounds like your hands might be turning just as orange as mine are! ;) Have a great day Ange!

JEM October 13, 2011

I buy my nutritional yeast at Whole Foods as well and it is normally in the vitamin aisle.

Stephanie October 13, 2011

I also found it in the baking aisle next to the regular yeast packages (at least at the one in Dedham, Massachusetts!).

Angela – umm, it kind of looks like you have a straw in the first picture of the cheeze sauce. I mean, I don’t blame you, I’d probably use a straw for it, but I’m just saying…lol!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table October 13, 2011

The amount of excitement I felt when I read the title of this post is a little embarrassing. :)

I’m making this as soon as I get back in town!! Despite my own vacation hangover, I read thins and immediate though about how good it would be with the Amarone wine I posted about today. LOL!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

I like the way you think :)

Cupcake Kat October 13, 2011

I’ve been eating pumpkin everything since last saturday. I swear, the other day, the only thing I could taste in my mouth was pumpkin and that was hours after eating! This sounds so good. I might make it this weekend

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh October 13, 2011

Will try this. I will not tell the hubby it is “cheeze.” hee hee

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat October 13, 2011

This sounds SO amazing – perfectly savory. Am I crazy or do I not see pumpkin in the ingredient list?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

I knew I was forgetting something!!! haha. whoops. Updated.

jenn October 13, 2011

Can’t wait to try this. One thing – you don’t have the pumpkin listed as an ingredient so until you read the steps – you don’t know how much pumpkin to use. :)

Sorry, I added it in!

How I forgot to add in pumpkin of all things if beyond me. ;)

Aubrey October 13, 2011

Yum!! This looks fabulous. I made your pumpkin gingerbread smoothie (minus the oats & chia seeds) yesterday and it was fantastic! Looks like this recipe is up next as I too am on a pumpkin kick!

I buy my nutritional yeast at Sprouts here in the states (Texas) but I know Whole Foods and H.E.B. carry it as well :)

VeggieGirl October 13, 2011

I HAVE TO MAKE THIS OMG

Florence October 13, 2011

oh gosh, I will definitely try this! I swore off baking for a few weeks, and I’m glad I can eat pumpkin in savoury dishes as well :) <3

Cupcake Kat October 13, 2011

By the way did you know nutritional yeast is a great source of vitamin B12? I think you forgot to add the 1 cup pumpkin to the ingredient list

Moni'sMeals October 13, 2011

AWESOME ANGELA! This looks great!
I think you have to be one of those people who love pumpkin, love squash, and love to take new challenges w/ food to understand how good this sauce must be! Epsecially for Fall. I can’t wait to try it. I know I will luv!

I would most likely hit it with some cayenne pepper too cuz that is just how I roll. :)

Faith @ For the Health of It October 13, 2011

That looks so gooey I can hardly stand it! Mac and cheese has always been all all-time fave of mine – one of the things I miss the most about dairy!

Jenna October 13, 2011

The recipe sounds delicious. I will be trying this weekend with the leftover pumpkin in my fridge.

My whole foods, at least, carries nutritional yeast in the bulk section…it’s a lot cheaper than the pre-packaged kind in the vitamin aisle.

Ashley October 13, 2011

I still have yet to make the butternut version, but I think I’ll just skip straight to this one! And pumpkin chia pudding is THE BEST. I only like it blended up though…not a fan of soaked chia seeds. ;)

Vanessa October 13, 2011

angela. you are my hero! this looks ammmazing. i loved the acorn squash version as well. i made this with kabocha squash and it pretty much rocked my world. thanks again for sharing. =) hope you had a lovely thanksgiving!

VeggieGirl October 13, 2011

I loved your butternut squash recipe but I think this looks easier! You should put together a ‘pumpkin compliation’ a meal of all pumpkiny goodness- main, sweet, drink :)

Greta October 13, 2011

Ha, I was about to say what Claire said – perhaps the cup of pumpkin puree should be in the ingredient list as well as in the instructions :> This sauce looks amazing! It’s weird, I bought nutritional yeast a while ago BECAUSE I wanted to use it in “cheese” sauces, but I haven’t made one yet. I’ve used it for a lot of other things, though! But I think the time has come.

Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa October 13, 2011

I just made a similar butternut squash sauce the other day and included cinnamon, allspice, and sage. It was fantastic! Subtle fall flavors really made the dish perfect for this “cheese” sauce.

Carolyn @ HealthKitten.com October 13, 2011

I just bought a 22oz container of Nutritional Yeast on Amazon (gotta love Prime!) for $14.47, which is cheaper than what I found at Whole Foods.

Once I get the yeast, that butternut squash mac-n-cheeze is getting made pronto!

Jeanine (The Blue Sash) October 13, 2011

I buy my nutritional yeast at either Whole Foods, my local smaller scale health food store or online at Amazon.

mindy @ just a one girl revolution. October 13, 2011

I am definitely making this tonight! YUM!

Mai October 13, 2011

Mmm..I really need to get my hands on some pumpkin.
My “recipes to make” list is getting way too long.

Lauren October 13, 2011

My favorite mix in for mac and cheese is broccoli! Always a winner :) You’re sauce looks amazing, I think I’ll have to try it this weekend!

Christina October 13, 2011

Angela you have outdone yourself again! This looks amazing! I just bought a can of pumpkin so I may try this out today or tomorrow :)

I also started Weight Watchers and had a hard time since I feel like it’s geared a lot to meat. I plugged in your recipe to see how many “point” it is and it’s only 4 per serving! In case anyone wanted to know :)

:) Whoo!

Amy October 13, 2011

To fellow Canadians, you can find it in the ‘spices’ section at the Bulk Barn!

Thanks Amy!

Heather (heathers dish) October 13, 2011

Angela this looks fantastic…I really adore the pictures too! Makes me want to dive under a blanket and watch a movie with a big bowl of this :)

Irini October 13, 2011

I’m having the Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese as we speak. It is delicious, so so so delicious that I managed to consume 3/4 of the pan by myself yesterday *tap on the back*. I must confess that I wasn’t a fan of vegan cheese sauces until this one, and does this sauce ever take it home! As always, thanks for this recipe, you never cease to impress!

On a different note, I get my nutritional yeast from Loblaws/ the Superstore. I use Bob’s Red Mill, and I really do quite like it ;)

Glad to hear that Irini!

kaity October 13, 2011

im making this tonight! your recipes never fail me and me too i been on such a pumpkin kick with all these blogs makin something pumpkin, im addicted to pumpkin pie oatmeal, your pumpkin smoothie and cck pumpkin bars, and now tonight pumpkin mac n cheese!! thank you<3

Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy October 13, 2011

I bought a butternut squash to try this recipe! I am gonna have to stock up on pumpkin to try this one too!

Jenny @ Simply Be...me October 13, 2011

I’ve made Mac and cheese with sweet potato before but that requires the added step of cooking sweet potato. I like the sounds of opening a can way better. The best part about adding squash/pumpkin/sweet potato to cheese sauce? My 2 year old gobbles it up!

Christina @ The Athletarian October 13, 2011

Yes! I am so making this! I just got back from the grocery store and didn’t get any pumpkin…grr. That’s the only ingredient I’m missing! I’ll pick some up tomorrow and give this a whirl! I wonder if it would be tasty over roasted veggies?? The possibilities seem endless!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

Yes I think it would be good over veggies!

Lillian October 13, 2011

This looks fantastic! I can’t get enough pumpkin in my life, and I love the idea of combining it with cheeze sauce. Awesome job (and I’m glad to hear it was so easy and non-frustrating)! :)

tweal October 13, 2011

Oh yum! What a great sounding recipe. I’m going to try it this weekend, if not earlier. Thanks for sharing.

Julia October 13, 2011

At first I thought it was a straw in the pumpkin sauce bottle and I thought “now THIS is a girl after my own heart.” Then I realized it’s a spoon… I SUPPOSE drinking the sauce ins’t the BEST idea, although, I’ll be tempted to when I make this!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

You are the second person to say that! Next time I will put a straw in! lol

Diane October 13, 2011

Can’t wait to make this! I have made the butternut squash version and it was delicious! It was my first attempt at a vegan cheese recipe too!!! What a winner to start with! I find nutritional yeast at a local healthy food store. It was hard to find, I needed to ask the owner. It was with vitamins and supplements! I do have a question though, is there a expiration date for nutritional yeast? The store only carried one size and it is massive!!! What else can I make with nutritional yeast?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

Hi Diane, Here are a bunch of my recipes using nutritional yeast:

Eat Hike Sleep Repeat October 13, 2011

Tell me that isn’t (or is!) a straw in the cheeze sauce! I’ve got a dinner party coming up. Would it be wrong to put out a buffet of various cheeze sauces? :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

LOL!!! Nope it’s a dessert spoon but a straw is a good idea… ;)

Kath October 13, 2011

SCORE!!!

I was all over that butternut…but didn’t feel like roasting one. But I DO have 6 lbs of pumpkin!

yes you do! :)