Vegan Pumpkin Mac ‘n Cheeze Sauce

Yesterday’s joke has actually turned into a self-fulfilling prophecy; I’ve been eating pumpkin non-stop all week. And I can’t seem to stop. Maybe there is some truth to my Long Weekend Hangover theory after all. Pumpkin does make everything better.

Oh, and I have a great Pumpkin chia pudding recipe coming up. It might be one of my all-time favourite quick & easy pumpkin recipes. It’s that exciting.

But so is this cheeze sauce…

IMG_3331

I was thrilled to find out that many of you went crazy for my Butternut Mac ‘n Cheeze recipe. This recipe might go down as one of the most popular in 2011. I received all kinds of comments, tweets, Facebook comments, and emails about this recipe last week. It’s always good to know that you guys enjoy the same crazy things that I do!

IMG_2428

I knew a pumpkin version of this cheeze sauce was not far away. Many of you commented and told me that you made a pumpkin version and it turned out great. I was pretty excited about how quickly it would come together. All I had to do was stir in a cup of canned pumpkin at the end of making the sauce. Quick and easy!

There’s no blender required. No food processor. Just a stove top (but I’m sure you could also make this in the microwave too).

This Pumpkin Cheeze sauce exceeded my expectations. I couldn’t keep my spoon out of it.

IMG_3348

Ok, Ok, it was my finger. Sue me.

IMG_3340

This was so easy I wanted to shed tears of happiness. I’ve been having my share of frustrations with recipes over the past couple weeks and to have something come together perfectly on the first try was welcomed.

I love how orange the sauce is too. I never thought I would see the day when I would eat a cheeze sauce and feel healthy! The nutritional info was also a pleasant surprise (see end of recipe). I forgot how much protein and fibre nutritional yeast has in it!

IMG_3351

I also wanted to point out that I made a couple adjustments to the original recipe. I cut the milk down to 3/4 cup instead of using 1 cup to make the sauce a bit thicker. I also cut down the salt to 1/2 tsp instead of 3/4 tsp. Lastly, I increased the nutritional yeast to 6 tbsp instead of 5 tbsp. I’ve updated these changes in the Butternut sauce recipe too.

I made two servings of pasta and added enough sauce until I felt like it was enough.

IMG_3358

…which is a lot. :)

Bring it on!

IMG_3359

As for which version I like better?

It’s close. I would have to say the butternut version wins by an inch. You really cant beat fresh, roasted butternut! With that being said, I know I will end up making this version more often just because it’s so easy.

Now, you can spice up this sauce any way you’d like.

I think a little cinnamon stirred in would be lovely to bring out the pumpkin flavour. I actually added some dried sage (after the photoshoot) and that was nice too.

I served it with red kidney beans and sautéed kale and a sprinkle of Herbamare. I also used some leftover cornbread topping and mixed it into my mac ‘n cheeze. Great idea.

IMG_3363

Wondering where to purchase nutritional yeast? You can find it in the natural foods section of many grocery stores (Loblaws/Superstore carries it) as well as bulk food stores and health stores. I’m sure you can find it online too. For those of you who purchase nutritional yeast, please leave a comment and let me (and others) know where you buy it!

What other ways do you think this sauce could be adapted? Any other mix-in ideas? Any other vegetables?

I vow to try them all.

1 Stephanie Geary October 13, 2011

I can’t wait to try this! And the butternut squash version. I bought my nutritional yeast at Whole Foods Market in the states…I think Stop and Shop may also carry it in their organic section as well. I have also noticed that you can find just about anything on amazon.com including grocery items.

2 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

Thanks Stephanie!

3 Cat @Breakfast to Bed October 13, 2011

The butternut squash one made my night. I can’t wait to try this one!!

4 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 13, 2011

Hmmm…. in my head, I’m not sure if I can bare to mix nutritional yeast into beloved pumpkin, but you’ve never steered me wrong, so I’m sure it must be good!! Sounds like your hands might be turning just as orange as mine are! ;) Have a great day Ange!

5 JEM October 13, 2011

I buy my nutritional yeast at Whole Foods as well and it is normally in the vitamin aisle.

6 Stephanie October 13, 2011

I also found it in the baking aisle next to the regular yeast packages (at least at the one in Dedham, Massachusetts!).

Angela – umm, it kind of looks like you have a straw in the first picture of the cheeze sauce. I mean, I don’t blame you, I’d probably use a straw for it, but I’m just saying…lol!

7 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table October 13, 2011

The amount of excitement I felt when I read the title of this post is a little embarrassing. :)

I’m making this as soon as I get back in town!! Despite my own vacation hangover, I read thins and immediate though about how good it would be with the Amarone wine I posted about today. LOL!

8 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

I like the way you think :)

9 Cupcake Kat October 13, 2011

I’ve been eating pumpkin everything since last saturday. I swear, the other day, the only thing I could taste in my mouth was pumpkin and that was hours after eating! This sounds so good. I might make it this weekend

10 The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh October 13, 2011

Will try this. I will not tell the hubby it is “cheeze.” hee hee

11 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat October 13, 2011

This sounds SO amazing – perfectly savory. Am I crazy or do I not see pumpkin in the ingredient list?

12 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

I knew I was forgetting something!!! haha. whoops. Updated.

13 jenn October 13, 2011

Can’t wait to try this. One thing – you don’t have the pumpkin listed as an ingredient so until you read the steps – you don’t know how much pumpkin to use. :)

14 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

Sorry, I added it in!

How I forgot to add in pumpkin of all things if beyond me. ;)

15 Aubrey October 13, 2011

Yum!! This looks fabulous. I made your pumpkin gingerbread smoothie (minus the oats & chia seeds) yesterday and it was fantastic! Looks like this recipe is up next as I too am on a pumpkin kick!

I buy my nutritional yeast at Sprouts here in the states (Texas) but I know Whole Foods and H.E.B. carry it as well :)

16 VeggieGirl October 13, 2011

I HAVE TO MAKE THIS OMG

17 Florence October 13, 2011

oh gosh, I will definitely try this! I swore off baking for a few weeks, and I’m glad I can eat pumpkin in savoury dishes as well :) <3

18 Cupcake Kat October 13, 2011

By the way did you know nutritional yeast is a great source of vitamin B12? I think you forgot to add the 1 cup pumpkin to the ingredient list

19 Moni'sMeals October 13, 2011

AWESOME ANGELA! This looks great!
I think you have to be one of those people who love pumpkin, love squash, and love to take new challenges w/ food to understand how good this sauce must be! Epsecially for Fall. I can’t wait to try it. I know I will luv!

I would most likely hit it with some cayenne pepper too cuz that is just how I roll. :)

20 Faith @ For the Health of It October 13, 2011

That looks so gooey I can hardly stand it! Mac and cheese has always been all all-time fave of mine – one of the things I miss the most about dairy!

21 Jenna October 13, 2011

The recipe sounds delicious. I will be trying this weekend with the leftover pumpkin in my fridge.

My whole foods, at least, carries nutritional yeast in the bulk section…it’s a lot cheaper than the pre-packaged kind in the vitamin aisle.

22 Ashley October 13, 2011

I still have yet to make the butternut version, but I think I’ll just skip straight to this one! And pumpkin chia pudding is THE BEST. I only like it blended up though…not a fan of soaked chia seeds. ;)

23 Vanessa October 13, 2011

angela. you are my hero! this looks ammmazing. i loved the acorn squash version as well. i made this with kabocha squash and it pretty much rocked my world. thanks again for sharing. =) hope you had a lovely thanksgiving!

24 VeggieGirl October 13, 2011

I loved your butternut squash recipe but I think this looks easier! You should put together a ‘pumpkin compliation’ a meal of all pumpkiny goodness- main, sweet, drink :)

25 Greta October 13, 2011

Ha, I was about to say what Claire said – perhaps the cup of pumpkin puree should be in the ingredient list as well as in the instructions :> This sauce looks amazing! It’s weird, I bought nutritional yeast a while ago BECAUSE I wanted to use it in “cheese” sauces, but I haven’t made one yet. I’ve used it for a lot of other things, though! But I think the time has come.

26 Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa October 13, 2011

I just made a similar butternut squash sauce the other day and included cinnamon, allspice, and sage. It was fantastic! Subtle fall flavors really made the dish perfect for this “cheese” sauce.

27 Carolyn @ HealthKitten.com October 13, 2011

I just bought a 22oz container of Nutritional Yeast on Amazon (gotta love Prime!) for $14.47, which is cheaper than what I found at Whole Foods.

Once I get the yeast, that butternut squash mac-n-cheeze is getting made pronto!

28 Jeanine (The Blue Sash) October 13, 2011

I buy my nutritional yeast at either Whole Foods, my local smaller scale health food store or online at Amazon.

29 mindy @ just a one girl revolution. October 13, 2011

I am definitely making this tonight! YUM!

30 Mai October 13, 2011

Mmm..I really need to get my hands on some pumpkin.
My “recipes to make” list is getting way too long.

31 Lauren October 13, 2011

My favorite mix in for mac and cheese is broccoli! Always a winner :) You’re sauce looks amazing, I think I’ll have to try it this weekend!

32 Christina October 13, 2011

Angela you have outdone yourself again! This looks amazing! I just bought a can of pumpkin so I may try this out today or tomorrow :)

I also started Weight Watchers and had a hard time since I feel like it’s geared a lot to meat. I plugged in your recipe to see how many “point” it is and it’s only 4 per serving! In case anyone wanted to know :)

33 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

:) Whoo!

34 Amy October 13, 2011

To fellow Canadians, you can find it in the ‘spices’ section at the Bulk Barn!

35 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

Thanks Amy!

36 Heather (heathers dish) October 13, 2011

Angela this looks fantastic…I really adore the pictures too! Makes me want to dive under a blanket and watch a movie with a big bowl of this :)

37 Irini October 13, 2011

I’m having the Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese as we speak. It is delicious, so so so delicious that I managed to consume 3/4 of the pan by myself yesterday *tap on the back*. I must confess that I wasn’t a fan of vegan cheese sauces until this one, and does this sauce ever take it home! As always, thanks for this recipe, you never cease to impress!

On a different note, I get my nutritional yeast from Loblaws/ the Superstore. I use Bob’s Red Mill, and I really do quite like it ;)

38 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

Glad to hear that Irini!

39 kaity October 13, 2011

im making this tonight! your recipes never fail me and me too i been on such a pumpkin kick with all these blogs makin something pumpkin, im addicted to pumpkin pie oatmeal, your pumpkin smoothie and cck pumpkin bars, and now tonight pumpkin mac n cheese!! thank you<3

40 Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy October 13, 2011

I bought a butternut squash to try this recipe! I am gonna have to stock up on pumpkin to try this one too!

41 Jenny @ Simply Be...me October 13, 2011

I’ve made Mac and cheese with sweet potato before but that requires the added step of cooking sweet potato. I like the sounds of opening a can way better. The best part about adding squash/pumpkin/sweet potato to cheese sauce? My 2 year old gobbles it up!

42 Christina @ The Athletarian October 13, 2011

Yes! I am so making this! I just got back from the grocery store and didn’t get any pumpkin…grr. That’s the only ingredient I’m missing! I’ll pick some up tomorrow and give this a whirl! I wonder if it would be tasty over roasted veggies?? The possibilities seem endless!

43 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

Yes I think it would be good over veggies!

44 Lillian October 13, 2011

This looks fantastic! I can’t get enough pumpkin in my life, and I love the idea of combining it with cheeze sauce. Awesome job (and I’m glad to hear it was so easy and non-frustrating)! :)

45 tweal October 13, 2011

Oh yum! What a great sounding recipe. I’m going to try it this weekend, if not earlier. Thanks for sharing.

46 Julia October 13, 2011

At first I thought it was a straw in the pumpkin sauce bottle and I thought “now THIS is a girl after my own heart.” Then I realized it’s a spoon… I SUPPOSE drinking the sauce ins’t the BEST idea, although, I’ll be tempted to when I make this!

47 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

You are the second person to say that! Next time I will put a straw in! lol

48 Diane October 13, 2011

Can’t wait to make this! I have made the butternut squash version and it was delicious! It was my first attempt at a vegan cheese recipe too!!! What a winner to start with! I find nutritional yeast at a local healthy food store. It was hard to find, I needed to ask the owner. It was with vitamins and supplements! I do have a question though, is there a expiration date for nutritional yeast? The store only carried one size and it is massive!!! What else can I make with nutritional yeast?

49 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

Hi Diane, Here are a bunch of my recipes using nutritional yeast:

50 Eat Hike Sleep Repeat October 13, 2011

Tell me that isn’t (or is!) a straw in the cheeze sauce! I’ve got a dinner party coming up. Would it be wrong to put out a buffet of various cheeze sauces? :)

51 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

LOL!!! Nope it’s a dessert spoon but a straw is a good idea… ;)

52 Kath October 13, 2011

SCORE!!!

I was all over that butternut…but didn’t feel like roasting one. But I DO have 6 lbs of pumpkin!

53 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

yes you do! :)

54 Sara October 13, 2011

Oh boy, I bet pumpkin gives it a great texture. I always just make single servings of the sauce, it might be handy to have some extra around.

55 WIERDGREENMAN October 13, 2011

You are a genius.

56 Julie October 13, 2011

I’m so excited to try this one now. We loved the butternut squash version last week. It was so delicious.

57 Lindsay @ biking before bed October 13, 2011

I have been searching for a savory recipe fo pumpkin. I normally use it in sweet breakfast and dessert items. I can’t wait to try this. I think it would be cute to serve it in hollowed out little pumpkins.

58 Natalie October 13, 2011

I got nutritional yeast at the bulk barn
Can’t wait to try this tonight

59 Rachel October 13, 2011

I get nutritional yeast in the bulk bins at Whole Foods but my mom found it at Costco!! :-)

60 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

oh wow that’s cool costco has it! The US costco or Canadian>

61 Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove October 13, 2011

Seriously – Costco has it?! Well, now I need to go check that out! That is amazing!!

62 Alyssa October 13, 2011

How long would this ‘keep’ in the fridge? A week? I’ve never tried anything like this.. I am curious.

63 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

I would guess between 5-7 days in air tight container.

64 Ellie@fitforthesoul October 13, 2011

I just can’t wait to try this dish! It truly looks like a winnaaaaa. Hope you have a wonderful day Angela!

65 kathleen @ the daily crumb October 13, 2011

you honestly never feast to amaze me! just when i think you’ve outdone yourself, you go and make a pumpkin cheese sauce! yummy :)

66 Lauren at Keep It Sweet October 13, 2011

I am in love!

67 Amber K October 13, 2011

It looks delicious! I’m always a little leery of using pumpkin in savory recipes because it seems too sweet to me. I can never eat squash or sweet potatoes because they are just too sweet. (Insanity coming from a girl who has an insane sweet-tooth). I just like my savory and sweet to stay away from one another! And yet still….ugh it looks sooo good!

68 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 13, 2011

finally a vegan cheeze sauce I have all the ingredients to on hand! woohoo, definitely trying this version out :)

69 Gina October 13, 2011

I can’t wait to make this. I made the butternut squash version the other day which turned out amazing! I am going to my parents this weekend and really wanted to make this for them but I am not sure I will be able to find canned butternut squash as they do not have a blender. Canned pumpkin is much easier to find though so thanks for posting this!

70 vanessa October 13, 2011

I always buy my Nutritional Yeast in the vitamin section at Whole Foods – they have a Whole Foods Brand that is relatively inexpensive for a HUGE container.

71 Jesica October 13, 2011

Do you ever roasted your own pumpkin to use in recipes? Right now pie/sweet pumpkins are far less expensive (here in central North Carolina, that is!) than canned pumpkin, and yield more pumpkin. And the taste & texture? Ohmygoodness so delicious. It also freezes really well for use later on … plus crunchy pumpkin seeds to put in/on everything (which I roast @ the same time as the pumpkin), including pasta!

This looks delicious. Can’t wait to try!

I get nutritional yeast in the bulk bins @ Whole Foods (again, in NC)!

72 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

Hey Jesica, Yes I roasted a pumpkin last week and it was horrible! I think it was a bad pumpkin because it wasn’t sweet at all (even though it was a small pie pumpkin) I will have to try it again because I think I just got a dud!

73 Karlee October 13, 2011

I can never find nutritional yeast! The closest whole foods is an hour away. I guess I will have to buy online. I love pumpkin, this recipe is right up my alley, I think it would be good w a sprinkle of nutmeg. Do u think it freezes well?

74 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

I haven’t tried freezing it but let me know if you try it out!

75 Erika October 13, 2011

For those of us who live too far away from any where that sells Nutritional Yeast, you can order it from Bob’s Red Mill or even Amazon. You usually have to buy it in a little bit of a bigger size but it’s so worth it!

Thank you for the amazing inspiration Angela, I’m a huge fan!

76 Amanda October 13, 2011

This looks so good! And I love how simple it is. I’m seriously tempted to make this for lunch instead of leftovers.

77 Cait's Plate October 13, 2011

Mmm – I love that. I would’ve gone with the butternut squash version myself :)

78 Jeni October 13, 2011

Bob’s Red Mill! And they deliver internationally, for anyone else who’s an expat!

79 Lauren @ What Lauren Likes October 13, 2011

Ahamzing! Pumpkin does cure all :)

80 Andrea B. @ Vegvacious October 13, 2011

I can’t wait to try this – I’ve already made your butternut version twice! I always buy my nutritional yeast at the Bulk Barn.

81 Krystina (Organically Me) October 13, 2011

You make the best looking vegan mac & cheese I’ve ever seen!

82 Emilia @ Namaste Gurl October 13, 2011

Yum! Just made Chole Coscorelli’s version recently– which is more italian like– but your version looks better! Love the addition of notch– one of my favorite add-ins these days :) Mmmm. Can’t wait to try!

83 Sarah with Veggie Kids October 13, 2011

Wow-everything you make looks so amazing! I had an OSG recipe day yesterday it seems. My kids and I made your High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes and loved it! We couldn’t taste the beans at all-how cool! We also made Pumpkin Gingerbread Smoothie…sooo good! And today we’ll make the Ultimate Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf. We would’ve done it yesterday but I was missing a few ingredients. Thanks for all the goodies!!

84 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

Sarah, you’re on a roll! I’m so happy to hear the recipes are enjoyed.

85 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty October 13, 2011

I made the pumpkin version a few days ago, it was tasty and not to pumpkin(y)

86 Errign October 13, 2011

After reading your b-nut cheeze sauce recipe, I adapted slightly and made a pumpkin sauce and it was like crack! :) I add a dash of cumin to mine and less nutritional yeast, but oh my gosh, so good!

87 Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles October 13, 2011

Awesome update! I’m planning on roasting up a little baby butternut squash when I get home to make the butternut version. I was planning on mixing in some peas, spinach, and cayenne!

88 Shannon October 13, 2011

Mine was cheap and easy ordered from amazon.com! This looks fabulous- can’t wait to try it! :)

89 katie@ KatieDid October 13, 2011

Mmmmm, I made a similar sauce but I used goat cheese and I cubed and roasted up pumpkin and pureed the cheese sauce with the pumpkin. I know roasting a pumpkin is so much more work than opening up a can of it but really, it was soo amazing. No I won’t be roasting a pumpkin every time I want some (which is often) but once in a while its an awesome treat.

90 Kimmie October 13, 2011

I can’t wait to try this in hopes that it tastes enough like “cheese” for my kids. My son battles with some terrible acid issues in his tummy and we are working hard to find foods that are not so hard on his stomach. I think he is going to love this sauce over noodles! Thank you so much for doing the hard work of experimenting so I don’t have to!!

91 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

Oh, I really hope it passes the test!

92 Becky October 13, 2011

Is Herbamare similar to Mrs. Dash?

93 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

Is Mrs Dash sodium free? If so, then no!

94 Shannon ~ My Place In The Race October 13, 2011

Man, this looks delicious! :P

95 Alex @ Raw Recovery October 13, 2011

Looks delicious and I can’t wait to try it! I think you should come up with a great vegan version of a thick queso-like cheese dip!

96 Marcy October 13, 2011

I made the butternut squash mac and cheeze last night and loved it! I’ve already sent the link to a few friends! This one is next!

97 Marcy October 13, 2011

PS I’ve been excited to have leftovers for supper all day

98 Kaila @healthyhelperblog! October 13, 2011

I love all this mac n cheese lovin lately!!! This looks incredible!

99 Yolie @ Practising Wellness October 13, 2011

Oh my…that looks SO good! :-D <3 xyx

100 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 13, 2011

Oh I want to dive into a bowl of that mac n cheeze sauce. I bet that sauce would be divine on just about anything..a veggie dip, a salad dressing even, a marinade…you name it, I want it! YUM!

101 Danielle October 13, 2011

Hmm, I just made this for lunch, and I have to say that I didn’t really like it. I couldn’t even finish what I served myself! I thought it kind of tasted like pumpkin with mustard and nutritional yeast flakes stirred in. I add some extra pepper and some turmeric, but I didn’t like it any better. :( Also, the carb listing on the nutritional stats seemed higher than it should’ve been. I have to count carbs because I’m pre-diabetic, and when I did it the carb count was only a bit over 9…

102 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

Sorry to hear that you weren’t a fan of it!
The nutritional info was obtained from Nutrition data website and it’s calculated by their programs.

103 Arielle (Your Vegan Girlfriend) October 13, 2011

I need to add this to my Pumpkin Recipe Round Up post ASAP …. YUMMMMMMMMMM

104 sarah@spinach and spice October 13, 2011

I have yet to try pumpkin in anything savory.. this looks like a great start!

105 Sophie @ LoveLiveAndLearn October 13, 2011

Mmm this looks lovely, I think it looks much better than the traditional sauce!
Your photos are gorgeous too :-)

106 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

Thanks Sophie :)

107 Olya October 13, 2011

That looks amazing!

108 Lindsey October 13, 2011

Can’t wait to try this!!

109 Lisa (bakebikeblog) October 13, 2011

I made your pumpkin mac n cheese last week and it was absolutely DELISH!!!!

110 Kathy October 13, 2011

This sauce looks amazing and I really want to try it! However, I have to admit…(in a huge community of nutritional yeast- loving bloggers/readers) I once tried nutritional yeast in a vegan cheeze sauce recipe and thought it tasted so bad!! It’s made me terrified to try it again. I think it was just a bad recipe though (it was way too simple with too few other ingredients to mask the nutritional yeast’s strong taste), so I’m just wondering.. has anyone else regained love for nutritional yeast after a bad experience? I really want to give it a try again but I’m kind of scared! I threw out my nutritional yeast the other time, so I’d have to buy it again if i want to give it another go. Someone persuade me its yummy? :)

111 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

Hey Kathy! Funny thing- I HATED nutritional yeast when I first tried it! Actually the first few times. I thought the flavour was so off and strong. Turned out I was using too much. I think it would be a good idea if you gradually add it and taste as you go. You can always add more but you can’t take away it once it’s in. Goodluck!

112 Kathy October 14, 2011

aww thanks for letting me know, Angela! I think I may have to try it again :) I just can’t get over the fact that there are so many delicious recipes out there that everyone appears to LOVE, and I’ve been averting them simply because of the nutritional yeast. Taste buds do change.. so I suppose I’ll find out! :)

113 Leah October 14, 2011

I tried making the butternut squash sauce last night, and I honestly didn’t like it either. I had never had nutritional yeast before, and maybe I used too much. What a bummer :(

114 jenn October 14, 2011

It is definitely an acquired taste. I hated it at first too, but after you stop eating “real” cheese for awhile & forget what it tastes like, nutritional yeast tastes better. At least that was my experience. :)

115 kaity October 13, 2011

just updating made this tonight it was awesome!! not to pumpkin taste but just enough! i cudve just ate the sauce alone i loved it lol def makin it again! thank you!!:-)

116 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

I agree, the pumpkin taste isn’t too overwhelming :) Glad you liked it!

117 Mary October 13, 2011

I made this for dinner tonight. Love it! And your pumpkin maple baked bean cornbread casserole rocks too!

118 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

I’m happy to hear you enjoyed it Mary!

119 Emily October 13, 2011

I get nutritional yeast at my local grocery store, ShopRite, in the natural baking section.

120 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 13, 2011

I’m planning on making the butternut squash version sometime next week! I actually have some canned squash, so hopefully that’ll taste almost as good as using a fresh squash… Did you get any feedback from readers who made the recipe using the canned kind?

121 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

I don’t recall, but maybe check out the comments to see if anyone posted about it :) I’m sure it would be fine!

122 suzanne October 14, 2011

I made mine with canned squash – it was great. I actually have 3 big butternut squash from the garden but did not have time to cook them! Will need to make it again soon I guess :-)

123 Anne October 13, 2011

I made a pumpkin cheeze sauce as soon as you posted the butternut mad & cheeze last week.

Subs:
-onion powder and a dash of paprika
-pepper
-no salt
-no butter

and I made it in the microwave! it took less than 2 minutes to come together, and was delicious!

I buy my nutritional yeast at bulk barn, I practically eat that stuff by the spoonful, though I try to put something under the sprinkling….er…pile of yeast before digging in!

124 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

Nice :) thanks for letting me know!

125 Izzy October 13, 2011

I’m so excited to try this! I have a 29oz-er of pumpkin puree in my fridge just ITCHING to be used up (shouldn’t be a problem ;P).

I always get my nutritional yeast at Bulk Barn. I have never seen it at Superstore (which I do 90% of my grocery shopping at). I’m not sure if Bulk Barn is the cheapest option (I heard iHerb online is), but it’s the most convenient for me. I love that stuff!!

izzyy

126 Jill October 13, 2011

Just made the sauce and I love it. I think I’m going to have it for lunch tomorrow with pasta and I’ll put in some left-over Moroccan-spiced chickpeas, too. I think the flavours will compliment one another. I think this sauce will also be great over gnocchi for a change (from pasta). I can imagine it being great served over some kind of rice/quinoa/grain bowl, too, with fall veggies and a protein. thanks for the recipe!

127 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

Great ideas :) Glad you liked it!

128 Meghan October 13, 2011

I made the pumpkin version and it was amazing! I tossed it with sauteed roasted red peppers, zucchini and sundried tomatoes. Yum! You can buy Nutriional Yeast at Bulk Barn. This is the cheapest place I have found to purchase it.

129 steph October 13, 2011

just made this for dinner, and it was delish! thanks ang!

130 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

Glad you enjoyed it Steph!

131 Shelley S. October 13, 2011

Looks delicious! I made the butternut squash Mac-n-cheez last week, and even my husband, who hates regular Mac-n-cheese, loved it! We were fighting over the leftovers for lunch the next day! I had to trick him into trying it by telling him it was pasta with a roasted butternut squash sauce, which is technically true! =) I get my nutritional yeast from the bulk bins at Whole Foods. I’ve also seen it in a glass jar near the spices, and also in a large container in the vitamin section, both at Whole Foods as well.

132 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

hehe :) Sometimes I trick Eric too and tell him after he says he loves it!

133 craftyearthmama October 13, 2011

Yum! I have to try this!

134 Diana @ frontyardfoodie October 13, 2011

I have been experimenting a lot with vegan pasta sauces and that looks SO DELICIOUS!!! My hubs isn’t a big pumpkin person but I’m sure I could work it out. hehe.

135 Tamicka October 13, 2011

I get my nutritional yeast from my local co op. I buy it in the bulk bins and it’s not too expensive

136 Emily October 13, 2011

I used “original” almond milk (not unsweetened… just a little bit sweetened) because that was all I had, and it was still awesome. Added some kale, shiitakes, and pumpkin seeds… delicious!

137 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

That’s great to know it still tastes good with the Original too :) Great call on the shiitakes…I will be trying that!

138 Katie @ BloomEveryday October 13, 2011

This is great! I love making my mac and cheese with butternut squash – so satisfying!

139 Adair October 13, 2011

Hi Angela! I love your site and all your recipes. I can’t wait to make this for my family! I have a GIGANTIC thing of canned pumpkin and don’t have any idea how I’m gonna finish the entire batch. I tried your pumpkin spiced latte and I just have to say that it is AMAZING. Even I, a person who hates coffee, loved it. I’m so excited to try this! I’m probably going to top it with nutmeg because I love that junk. Also, recipe suggestions: Sweet Potato Hummus? Pumpkin Nut Bread? Soft Vanilla Sugar Cookies? How To Make Applesauce Fun?
P.S. Recipe suggestions means things I am craving right now

140 Gabby October 13, 2011

Yum! I haven’t even had a chance to make the butternut squash mac n’ cheese and here you come up with something that looks equally delicious! Now I have to decide which to make first. I just made your GF Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies for a friend who is GF and Dairy Free for health reasons and she loved them! Keep up the good work.

141 Laura October 13, 2011

Made the butternut squash one last week, I was AMAZED at how delicious something so simple was. Changes I made were to add a whole cooked onion to my coconut oil (rather than earth balance) and frozen peas at the end to the blended sauce. I think the onion did add some depth and flavour, worth the extra effort.

142 Casey @ Insatiably Healthy October 13, 2011

Ooh this is going to be topped over steamed veggies in the very near future!

143 miranda October 14, 2011

I have been buying most of my health food store necessities from nutsonline.com since moving overseas….shipping is pretty fast. might be an option for some of you looking to buy nutritional yeast. I have a HUGE butternut squash on my kitchen cart right now…..after seeing this ….i think it’s calling my name!!! Let me turn the oven on, NOW!

144 Jill October 14, 2011

This sounds yummy, but I’m wondering if the pumpkin makes it sweet? I definitely would want it to be savory :)

145 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 14, 2011

I wouldn’t say it’s very sweet. I don’t find pumpkin tastes sweet though.

146 Juliana October 14, 2011

Angela, I live in Germany and when I buy nutritional yeast the package says the yeast shoudn’t be cooked otherwise the vitamins are lost – they are supposed to be sensitive to heat. Do you know anything about that?

147 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 14, 2011

Hey Juliana, No I haven’t heard that before! I hope it’s not true..

148 Carol October 14, 2011

OMG…I just love pumpkin season..I have been eting it in almost everthing these past few weeks! I buy my nutritional yet at Whole Foods and Wegmans in the bulk bins.

149 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers October 14, 2011

Yum, so creative! I posted your Pumpkin Butter on my blog today! I love the stuff! Going to have it in my yogurt for breakfast this morning!

150 Katrina October 14, 2011

Mmm so tasty sounding! Yum!

151 jenn October 14, 2011

I subbed in smart balance light for less calories in the butter & only did 5T of nutritional yeast (I don’t like it to be too overpowering) and this recipe was DELICIOUS! I ate it with pasta & broccoli yesterday and plan on eating it again the same way for lunch today. :) Your recipes are my favorites. I am always sending non-vegan friends to your site to show them that vegan food IS delicious!

152 Bridget October 14, 2011

I am not vegan and have never tried nutritional yeast, but I think it might be time to give it a shot! The nice thing is that it is sold at our local health food market (called Strawberry Fields) in bulk, so I can buy as much as I need and not worry about wasting it if I can’t quite handle the taste. Thanks for posting this recipe… for vegans and non-vegans who are just trying to expand their meatless meal options!

153 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 14, 2011

I didn’t like nutritional yeast when I first tried it…well the first few times, so I suggest starting with a bit and add & taste as you go :)

154 Kay October 14, 2011

Hi – this looks great! Can I substitute olive oil for earth balance? Or another type of oil?

155 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 14, 2011

I’m not sure…I’d worry it might make it a bit too oily in consistency? You could probably try using 1 tsp oil? I really love the flavour that earth balance lends though so I’d worry about a strong tasting oil. Please let me know if you try it!

156 suzanne October 14, 2011

I just skipped the earth balance and I thought it was fine. I am trying not to do too many oils due to the processing etc and from what I have seen, earth balance is made of several oils (though I cannot find the ingredients of some of them – only the type they have in our store).

157 michelleshea October 14, 2011

Oh My Gosh, this looks amazing! Funnily enough, I made the butternut version last week & used the leftover squash to make a pumpkin recipe: http://veganstastebetter.net/2011/10/09/shells-and-squeeze-pumki-pie-oatmeal/

158 Sara October 14, 2011

I just bought some nutritional yeast, 4.5 oz, from Fry’s which is like Sam’s Club/Safeway, only I think it’s only in Arizona. they carry a lot of Kroger products and the yeast was found by the specialty baking products (Bob’s Red Mill stuff). It was pretty cheap too.

159 suzanne October 14, 2011

This looks delicious! I cannot wait to try it! I love all your pumpkin recipes – I was in India last year and what I missed most was fall and pumpkin foods! (though they had great pumpkin there that I just steamed and ate – but not the same in boiling hot weather!) I think this would be great on any grain – esp rice.
Two ideas for you…a vegan pumpkin black bean soup (have looked for recipes but not crazy about any yet) and I have also made pumpkin soft pretzels…yummmmmm!
Thanks for another great recipe – I am excited to be home this weekend (after many weekends away) to cook the long list of recipes from your blog that I keep a list of!

160 suzanne October 14, 2011

Oh – and for nutritional yeast – not sure if anyone has posted about this but I order from Vitacost (not sure if they ship to canada) – I get so much from them and it is all discounted – supplements, cleaning and beauty products and organic foods. Last time I got nutritional yeast and lots of organic canned pumpkin and butternut squash! And free shipping to boot!

161 Dacia October 14, 2011

I buy nutritional yeast at Whole Foods. They carry it in bulk and in a giant container. I usually buy in bulk only what I need. I cannot wait to try this recipe out on Sunday! Thanks!

162 Val October 14, 2011

Just made this recipe, and wanted to let you know it was nothing short of AMAZING! It was so quick and easy to make, and even my die-hard lacto-carnivore brother in law was in love with it. I’ve tried a ton of vegan cheezy sauce recipes in the past, and they always end up a little too “nutritional yeast-y,” for lack of a better term. The blend of both the yeast AND the pumpkin was exactly what I was looking for — smooth, creamy, savory and delicious!

163 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 15, 2011

Hey Val, I’m glad to hear that!

164 Liz October 14, 2011

I love love love pumpkin and can’t get enough of it! I love all of your recipes with pumpkin, keep them coming! One question, I have never used nutritional yeast (I am not vegetarian but I love your website and recipes!) is this something I can just leave out of this recipe when I make it?

165 Kris October 16, 2011

I am curious about this too. I seem to be allergic to yeast so have not tried making this sauce as I don’t know if it needs the yeast for flavor or not. . . .

166 Mary October 17, 2011

Don’t leave out the nutritional yeast, that’s definitely what brings in the cheeze flavor. Almost every vegan cheeze recipe I have found uses nooch. It tastes so much like cheese its scary…as in I frequently put it on broccoli by itself for faux cheeziness.

167 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2011

Hey Liz! Yes, Mary is right. The nutritional yeast is essential in the cheeze recipes as it’s what gives it the cheese-like flavour. I hope you can find some (there are a lot of wonderful suggestions on where to buy it in this comment thread too).

168 Lyana October 24, 2011

NY is different from baking yeast and is okay for you to eat.

169 Jen October 15, 2011

I am eating this right now, as I type this, and just had to interrupt my meal to say — THIS IS DELICIOUS! It is so yummy and so easy. I’m never making box mac n cheese again! (well, as soon as I finish the Costco box of Annie’s in the pantry)

170 Monica Harry October 15, 2011

I browsed but didn’t READ all 165 preceding comments, so I’m sorry if I’m repeating information. I just wanted to let you know that I recently found (and love) a canned version of organic butternut squash at Whole Foods. The brand name is Farmer’s Market Foods, and they usually have butternut, pumpkin, and pumpkin-pie filling. In our store, it’s on the same aisle with the canned fruits and other pie fillings. I have a hard time distinguishing between the taste of pumpkin and butternut squash once they’re mixed into a recipe, so I interchange them any time I have one fresh, but not the other, but I keep a can of each type on hand for pumpkin/winter-squash emergencies.

Vegetarian Times has an AWESOME reader-submitted recipe for Butternut Squash Enchiladas, and if you’ve never tried them, I HIGHLY recommend you go to their site, search on the recipe, and head straight to the kitchen. LOVE. :)

171 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 15, 2011

Hey Monica! That sounds great I will keep my eyes peeled for it next time Im at WF. I’m also going to check out that recipe…do you have a link by chance?

172 Olivia October 15, 2011

Hi Angela,
I just made this recipe for dinner tonight, and it is FABULOUS. I cannot believe how delicious it is! I was wondering if you had ever experimented with this cheeze sauce as a pasta bake or something like that?
Going back for seconds :)
Thank you!

173 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 16, 2011

I don’t think I have, but I really want to!

174 jenny braun October 16, 2011

In the states you can buy it at Better Health stores or the bulk food store. I’m sure whole foods has it also.

175 Myra October 16, 2011

Hey Angela,
I just tried your recipe; used it as the sauce for a pasta bake dish with spinach and kale and it is delish.
Thanks!

176 Shana October 16, 2011

I made the pumpkin cheeze sauce and it was amazing! I made a spicy version and poured it over some baked tortillas. The pumpkin is barely detectable but the cheezy flavor really comes through. This is a great year-round recipe! Thanks!

177 Anna@ActiveFingers October 16, 2011

I finally made this tonight and love it! I might have added the pumpkin early but I still think it turned out tasty :)

178 suzanne October 17, 2011

Mmmmmmmm….had this with brown rice, black beans and broccoli last night. Delicious! My son and husband devoured it too! (my other 2 barely tried it – they are soooooo picky and it is mostly in their heads – they do not know what they are missing!). Thanks Angela

179 Jeni October 17, 2011

This was so good! I didn’t have any pumpkin so I had to use squash, but I couldn’t stop eating it!

180 Jodi October 17, 2011

I made this tonight for dinner and it was incredible! My carnivore boyfriend even loved it and went back for seconds. I can’t wait to pour this sauce over even more foods! I found that one recipe was enough for 1 lb of macaroni, and I added some steamed kale in and it was so delicious. Thanks for the recipe!

181 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) October 17, 2011

Angela, that cheese sauce looks AMAZING!!! I can’t wait to try it!

182 Kerry October 18, 2011

I just made this for dinner tonight, and it was amazing! I had never tried a vegan “cheese” sauce before, and I was amazed at how cheesy it tasted! I also loved the subtle pumpkin flavor. I added the sauce to some pasta and peas, and it was perfect! Thank you for sharing the recipe!

183 Kathryn D October 18, 2011

Made this last night. LOVED it. Husband not so much but that’s okay cuz there is more for me!

184 Kristina October 18, 2011

OH.MY.HEAVEN! I just slumped back in my chair and savored every morsel of this delicious sauce! Thank you SO SO much for a wonderful recipe!

185 Karen October 19, 2011

Made it for dinner and mixed it with pasta and a few handfuls of steamed spinach and kale and then topped it with Annie’s cheddar crackers and Daiya cheese and it was delish!!! :)

Yumm thanks!

186 Jackie October 19, 2011

This sauce is absolutely delicious! I made a few additions by blending some cashews with almond milk and white miso and adding it to the sauce at the end. For me, miso adds that “tangy” cheese taste. My whole family loved it. Thanks as always!

187 Jennifer October 19, 2011

Just made this and I can’t believe how good it is!! My husband even loves it! I put it on broccoli, cauliflower, and whole wheat pasta. It def made the whole wheat pasta palatable. Can’t say enough how much I love your blog. I have grown so much as a vegetarian:)

188 Meghanne October 20, 2011

I made this last night and combine it with kelp noodles, some ground ostrich and rainbow chard. It was delicious. Thanks for another great recipe.

189 Viola October 20, 2011

I’d like to know WHO would be storing this sauce in the fridge? I cannot wait to try it! I don’t think it will last more than five minutes!

190 Justeen @ Blissful Baking October 20, 2011

WONDERFUL recipe!! I made it for dinner, and thoroughly enjoyed every bite! Can’t wait for leftovers tomorrow :)

191 Nikita October 21, 2011

I made this last night and it was delicious! The only thing is, I used cornstarch because I didn’t have arrowroot and it made it quite thick- I ended up using a full cup of (nondairy)milk instead of 3/4 to thin it out.

192 Rebecca C October 21, 2011

I made this with corn starch like Nikita and it was too thick. But very delicious!

193 Katie October 22, 2011

Just made this and it was a HUGE hit!

194 Mandi October 23, 2011

Great recipe, thanks! It was delicious over raw spiralized zucchini as the pasta.

I used coconut oil instead of Earth Balance since I don’t eat soy, and I used some water down coconut milk in place of other milk. I also upped my seasoning to include more garlic, some onion powder, and more mustard.

For my non-vegan hubby, I sprinkled some real cheddar cheese over the top so that he wouldn’t realize that the rest wasn’t actually cheese and he was totally fooled. I think that when I make it next time, I’ll sprinkle a little raw vegan nut cheese on the top for myself too.

195 Deborah October 23, 2011

Regarding the nutritional yeast, I purchase it at Whole Foods in the bulk bins. I was pleased to find it my local Vitamin Shoppe. Can’t wait to try this recipe!

196 RebekahK October 24, 2011

Just tried this and I am pleasantly surprised! I didn’t add a full can of pumpkin (it was too overpowering for my taste, maybe I would like the butternut better) and I added a little Valenica hot sauce and a ton of fresh cracked pepper. Yummy! Thanks for the recipe.

197 Aisha October 26, 2011

Wow! Nothing short of amazing and has me thinking about all the other pureed veggies I can turn into ‘cream’ sauce! I served mine casserole like with blanched spinach layered on top sprinkled with bread crumbs. And unlike real mac n chz it actually tasted good as leftovers, maybe even better as leftovers!

198 Apryl November 9, 2011

I loved this pumpkin recipe – very creamy and cheezy. Next time, I will try it with soy milk instead, I’m not a huge fan of almond milk myself but I did enjoy it regardless.

199 Lauren November 14, 2011

I just made this and i just want to say thank you.
My tummy thanks you.
My mind thanks you.
Holy delicious-ness, Angela!

((Wegmans has nutrtional yeast))

200 Brandy November 28, 2011

Just made this now. It’s really good! Must say I added 2 extra tablespoons of nutritional yeast, 2 extra tablespoons of of earth balance, and a 1/4 cup more almond milk. I prefer a little thinner texture with more of a butter flavor. Haven’t quite gotten the whole brown rice noodle cooking thing down yet though – man they are difficult!!

201 Meghanne June 4, 2012

A tbs of tahini does wonders for this amazing sauce!

202 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 5, 2012

good to know, thanks!

203 Kassondra June 7, 2012

Does it taste okay without the the yeast? I have a food sensitivity to yeast and am trying to stay away from it. I also can’t have cashews or soy among other things. I am trying to go vegan because I feel like It would be healthier, but I absolutely love cheese. I came across this recipe and it looked great, except for the yeast…will it still be good without it?

204 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 8, 2012

I don’t think it tastes good without the yeast, as the nutritional yeast is what gives it the cheezy flavour. Sorry about that!

205 Claire June 13, 2012

I’ve had my eye on this for a while, but nutritional yeast isn’t something I’ve ever seen in the shops here (even health food shops) so it’s had to wait until I could order some online. Definitely worth it though! I did change it a little – I didn’t use any form of fat at the beginning and based on the end product, I don’t think it was necessary at all! I did use sweetened almond milk (I’ve only seen one brand here) so that might have made up for the lack of added fat. I needed to use quite a bit more than in the recipe – probably because I used cornflour (starch) rather than arrowroot. I also used chilli powder rather than garlic powder (which I didn’t have). However, the biggest change I made was to use sweet potato instead of pumpkin. I baked my sweet potato in the microwave then scooped the flesh out into the sauce. I then blended it using a hand blender, which also blended the yeast flakes in beautifully. I had 100g of the sauce with 50g (dry weight) pasta, 100g petit pois peas and a handful of chopped watercress – came to 318 calories! So, delicious and extremely healthy. I’ll certainly be making it again, and I’m planning what to do with the remaining sauce already.

206 Claire June 14, 2012

Just to add – I gave my distinctly carnivorous brother a spoonful of the sauce when I pulled it out of the fridge for lunch today. He said it was “pretty good”. Then I told him that it didn’t have any cheese in it. I believe his exact words were: “What sort of witchcraft is this?”

207 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 14, 2012

hah!

208 Shelley August 18, 2016

Claire, I’m glad you mentioned the no fat. I was hoping I can make this fat free. Sounds like it works out just fine. #wfpb #oilfree

209 Kait @ yogabeautylife October 29, 2012

Just made some of this for tonight’s stormy dinner! I figured it would be nice and hearty to carry us through the hurricane. I might have gone a bit nuts with seasonings (I don’t know how but some liquid smoke got in there…and cayenne, sage, and paprika. WHAT?!) but it tastes soo yummy with the last of my frozen-so-it-might-not-survive-the-storm spinach that I needed to use up!

210 Shannon October 31, 2012

This is amazing!! Over colorful pasta shaped like pumpkins and leaves, this made the perfect Halloween dinner. My pumpkin was a bit lumpy so I whipped out the immersion blender to get it silky smooth. Perfecto!

211 Primavera November 16, 2012

OMG! this was so good and so easy to make! I sauteed some kale, mushrooms, onions and veggie sausage to add to the pasta cheeze mix, will definitely make this again!

212 Becca December 10, 2012

I’ve recently grown fond of using my mac and cheese to stuff a squash. This sauce sounds like a fabulous way to incorporate the squash into the sauce itself. Om nom nom!

213 April January 5, 2013

I just made this for supper and it was DELICIOUS!

214 Kristiana February 22, 2013

Would this be good If I added broccoli to it??

215 Emily June 2, 2013

I had to finally leave a comment thanking you for creating this recipe! I have made it at least five times in the last six months, and I am in love with it. I follow the recipe pretty exactly, and always try to use tri-color pasta, and it tastes phenomenal even leftover! I had never considered adding broccoli, but the above commenter has inspired me, so I will be adding some to my dish tonight when I make this for the sixth time! Mmm.

216 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 3, 2013

Im so happy to hear that Emily! Thanks for trying :)

217 Jill June 15, 2013

Hi Angela!
I’ve been following your blog for quite some time, and you are awesome! I have made this sauce several times, and I tweak it a bit each time. This time I used President’s Choice “Sweet with Heat” mustard instead of the dijon (doubled it actually), and it was fabulous. If you haven’t already tried this mustard, it will change your life. I also added hot banana peppers to spice it up! Thanks :)
Take Care,
Jill

218 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 17, 2013

Hey Jill, Thanks for your lovely words! I appreciate it. :) Love your tweaks to this recipe.

219 abby August 1, 2013

just made this,
added organic ketchup, smoked paprika, nama shoyu (raw soy sauce), onion powder, and lots more nutritional yeast. good idea girlllylyy. it would be so good with salsa or beans like real mac and cheese too

220 Tyler September 14, 2013

Looks like a great recipe and I hope to make it today!

But I’m a little confused about part of the instructions. When you say “store in the fridge for up to 7 days” does that mean it needs to be refrigerated for that long or that’s how long you can store it if you want?

221 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 15, 2013

It will keep in the fridge for about 7 days or so – just an estimate :)

222 SarAh October 6, 2013

Wow thank you so much this is delicious I didn’t have mustard so made without and was yummy

223 Kathryn October 12, 2013

I made this yesterday and it was really delicious! Thanks for such a great recipe. I really appreciate the short ingredient list and how easy it is to make!

224 Ashleigh October 23, 2013

If you add a little bit of chili powder and or some petite diced tomatoes drained & some canned diced jalepenos, it becomes a nacho pumpkin mac and cheeze, or just pumpkin nacho cheeze, YUM!

225 d bagherian October 28, 2013

ABSOLUTELY AMAZED at this recipe. after looking on this site many times, have always enjoyed the recipes, but this was incredible. one thing – I didn’t have plain milk, so I used the vanilla – it had a sweet / cheese sauce type taste – very similar to what you might find in an upscale restaurant, maybe like a hollandaise of sorts. this will be used often. cannot thank you enough for sharing this recipe with your readers.

226 Paige Reno November 23, 2013

for anyone in ottawa, i buy my nutritional yeast in bulk at market organics downtown. it’s super cheap there!

227 Ashley December 7, 2013

Thanks so much for posting this recipe, I made it for lunch for my multi allergic one year old and it was a hit! I only ommited the nutritional yeast since he can’t digest that well and it was still so tasty served over steamed broccoli and cauliflower! My question is have you ever experimented with different flavors using this same method? I was thinking of next time trying a cup of mashed cauliflower n place of the pumpkin for a vegan Alfredo?

228 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 8, 2013

Hi Ashley, I haven’t but I do have a great butternut squash sauce on the blog which is my all-time favourite :)

See here for the recipe: http://ohsheglows.com/2013/10/21/smoky-butternut-squash-sauce-with-pasta-and-greens/

229 Renee December 10, 2013

I absolutely loved this recipe!! Someone gave me 5 pumpkins from her garden and I have been eating pumpkin literally ALL WEEK…haha actually maybe longer. But anyways, I made a huge pot of this recipe and mixed in a ton of kale. It is DELICIOUS! I’m eating a big bowl of it now haha. I also used white pepper and one of those vegetarian chili spice packets to add a little kick to it, and it turned out SO good! :)

230 Kirsty February 17, 2014

My 16 yo daughter has decided she doesn’t want to eat meat anymore and I am totally clueless on what to cook her …….. I found this recipe and THIS IS AMAZING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I didn’t have the yeast this time (have to go and find it – that’s a new ingredient for me) but it was BLOODY AWESOME

231 Jennifer March 18, 2014

Just made this. I accidentally bought organic pumpkin pie filling instead of plain pumpkin. As I was making the sauce, I realized my mistake when I tasted it and it was too sweet and spiced. I added more dijon mustard, sprinkled a bit more nutritional yeast, puréed and added a bit of onion, and threw in some shredded Daiya cheddar. That helped a lot. In the end, I baked the whole thing like it was a casserole, and sprinkled more Daiya on top. The end result was absolutely delicious.

232 pam April 3, 2014

absolutely delicious!!! eating it right now!!! And yes, heading out for seconds any minute LOL

233 Samantha April 3, 2014

I sauteed a sweet onion with the Earth Balance. It was delicious!

234 Mary April 7, 2014

I just started trying vegan meals. I have hyperthyroid and want to enjoy the foods I can eat.
Thanks for showing me that health done not have to be bland.

235 Christine April 13, 2014

Mmmm, genius….nom..nom…nom. Must find something to dip in it!

236 Rachel July 28, 2014

Hi! First of all, I want to stress that this is in no way a criticism. I LOVE your website, most of my family does actually. We suffer from so many allergies and this is one of the only sites that caters to all of those. Thank you so so much!

One of the issues that I came across with this recipe was a sharp smoky flavor at the end. Here are all the differences from my process to yours. I used Smart Balance, cornstarch and Bob’s Red Mill brand nutritional yeast instead of Earth Balance, arrowroot. The sauce was in no way burned and it took about 3 minutes to cook instead of the 5-7 minutes you said it would take to thicken.

Is one of my ingredients off or is there something else I’m doing wrong?

Thanks again!

237 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 29, 2014

Hey Rachel,
Thanks for your feedback! I’m not sure why your version would have a smoky flavor? Hmm…maybe it was the canned pumpkin? I find some brands can taste quite different than others. I haven’t used smart balance before so I’m not sure if that would impact the flavour too. Sometimes nutritional yeast can have an off-putting flavour to some people if you aren’t used to it, so maybe try cutting that back a bit if you try it again. Hope this helps!

238 Rachel August 1, 2014

Reducing the nutritional yeast definitely helped. Thanks!

239 Amybeth Hurst September 19, 2014

Awesome! I can’t wait to try that! Amybeth Hurst, Portland, ME

240 Jenny October 15, 2014

This was soooo goooood! My boyfriend loved it too!
I had the cheeze sauce the next morning on Ezekiel toast with a fried egg on top.
Now that’s all I want in my face. Yum.

241 Ana November 1, 2014

Wow made this with added pimp kin spice mix and an extra tablespoon of spicy mustard and OMG my meat eater friends couldn’t get enough!!!

242 aubade November 23, 2014

Yum just made this and it was awesome!!! I made a few pumpkin sauce recipes in the past and my preschooler rejected them but he liked this one. Even my husband who hates squash ate it. I love squash and will definitely be making this again!! It was so easy yet so delicious. My new favorite recipe. Thanks!!

243 CATHERINE ANTOINETTE December 10, 2014

IT IS MIND BLOWING BUT FOR ME IT WAS MORE LIKE 1 PORTION THAN 4..

244 Lexi December 27, 2014

I have to say, this is one of my ALL TIME favorite recipes. It’s so easy too!

245 Kristin March 10, 2015

How do I make the “cheese” sauce less bitter? I used flakes as opposed to nutritional yeast powder if that is my problem?

246 rebecca May 2, 2015

As I’m eliminating as much fat as possible from my diet I didn’t use the earth balance. Still tastes great! I imagine it would just add a creamier texture?

247 Nina V August 13, 2015

I made a version of this tonight. As I had more than a cup of pumpkin, I used about 250ml of milk and (sneakily) added in a can of puréed cannellini beans and fresh garden garlic.
I dry fried some finely chopped mushies, which I stirred through the sauce.
I topped the plated up meal with toasted sunflower seeds.
The children declared it was the best Mac and Cheese, to date. So this is my new ‘go to’ recipe.
Thank you. :)

248 Ann August 29, 2015

Do you think the cheeze sauce will bake well? I really want to make a vegan version of this cauliflower mac n cheese: http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/mac-and-cheese-style-cauliflower/

249 Kate September 23, 2015

Wow. Just WOW. It’s so good, I don’t even know where to start: it’s creamy, flavourful, smooth. I used coconut oil in place of butter, fresh garlic (sautéed it first), dried basil (love it) and only about two tablespoons of nutritional yeast (still getting used to it) and the sauce turned out a success! Thank you for sharing, you’re such an inspiration for me!

250 carin October 10, 2015

i know this is a super old recipe but i wanted mac and cheeze and i had all the ingredients so i tried it. just for readers who aren’t a huge fan of dijon, i would greatly reduce or leave it out–the dijon flavor was too much for me but i just ended up doubling all the other ingredients (maybe tripling the nooch because i’ve never had a sauce with too much nooch ;) ) and it was very good! next time may put in 1/3-1/2 of the dijon

251 carin October 10, 2015

and i just realized my mistake (and feel very stupid)–i put in 2T dijon rather than 2t. oooooops! i imagine with the 2t it will turn out much better on first pass :) i’m still enjoying my bowl of mac and cheeze greatly! thanks for all the great recipes! just ordered the OSG cookbook today

252 Mirandamom October 17, 2015

Just want to say that I wanted to make this when I couldn’t lay my hands on squash, so I used the contents of a drained can of carrots. I’ve never bought canned carrots before, but they worked brilliantly for this.

253 Mitch P December 1, 2015

I tried this today and it is just awesome. Loved it! Thank you!

254 Tiffany January 6, 2016

Hi… Can I add guar gum to this recipe to make it sliceable?

255 Amanda April 24, 2016

I just made this sauce. I did not have any good mustard so I left that out. I mixed some of the sauce with gluten free rice pasta, peas and sauted mushrooms and baked it. I am not vegan (just focused on eating more nutrients and plant foods) so I added a sprinkle of real cheese to the top. Sooooo good!

256 Angela Liddon April 25, 2016

Hi Amanda, I’m glad you enjoyed it!

257 Blair September 25, 2016

Just discovered this last week – my first mac&cheese since going dairy free two years ago, and it was truly amazing. I added in sage and tons of bacon crumbles (not quite vegan!) and it was spectacular. Disappeared way too fast. Do you have any experience in freezing individual portion sizes of this sauce? Or freezing it pre-mixed with the pasta? Thanks so much!