Last Minute Vegan Thanksgiving Ideas

20101002IMG 4115 thumb thumb   Last Minute Vegan Thanksgiving Ideas

If you’re like me, you tend to leave some things to the last minute.

My dreaded tasks include:

• Getting the oil in my car changed. I loathe going to the car shop. It’s one of my all-time least enjoyed errands.
  • Renewing my passport. My passport has been expired for a few months now and I’ve been meaning to renew it! We’re also planning a visit to the states soon, so I really need to get my butt in gear or Eric said he’s leaving me behind.
  • Getting my hair cut. I often leave it until I absolutely cannot stand my split-ended hair for another second. I call the salon and try to get an appointment that same day. Usually doesn’t work. I got my hair cut last night and I always say, “Why did I leave it so long, I feel great!!!” On an unrelated note, my stylist wants to give me a long bob for a hair cut. Sort of like Jennifer Anniston’s new bob, but a bit longer. What do you think? I’m scared.
  • Changing my name. I still have yet to change my name on my Driver’s License! It’s been 3 years since we got married…time flies?
  • Meal planning. As you may recall, I’m not a meal planner. Thinking about planning a week’s worth of meals makes my skin crawl. It really does.

Now that my skeletons are out of the closet, I’ve put together this last minute post for those of us who may need a glimmer of hope on the weekend of our Canadian Thanksgiving.

Repeat after me: You can do it!!

Deep breaths.

For an appetizer, why not make soup to warm everyone up? I especially love this Carrot Apple Ginger Soup:

IMG 5316 thumb   Last Minute Vegan Thanksgiving Ideas

or the Holiday Soup for the Soul was a big hit too.

20101116IMG 0565 thumb thumb   Last Minute Vegan Thanksgiving Ideas

For a vegan (and gluten-free if you’d like) entrée, why not try the Ultimate Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf?

IMG 8055 thumb thumb   Last Minute Vegan Thanksgiving Ideas

This is by far one of my favourite recipes on the blog and I’ve yet to meet someone who didn’t love it. After several trials, I finally made a version that held together and didn’t crumble apart. This loaf is adapted from the Clean Food Cookbook and The Vegan Table Cookbook.

For a side, why not try the delicious High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes (with a secret ingredient!)

20100908IMG 2684 thumb thumb   Last Minute Vegan Thanksgiving Ideas

I believe my mom said she liked these mashed potatoes better than her own!

This Ain’t Grandma’s Sweet Potato Casserole. This is one of my all-time favourite ‘veganized’ recipes! No heavy cream required.

20101002IMG 4262 thumb thumb   Last Minute Vegan Thanksgiving Ideas

Pumpkin Gingerbread with Spiced Buttercream

20101001IMG 3969 thumb thumb1   Last Minute Vegan Thanksgiving Ideas

This recipe goes down as one of the most popular and well-reviewed on the blog! You guys sure love your pumpkin gingerbread.

Pumpkin Pie Brownie- another crowd pleaser.

20101002IMG 4091 thumb thumb   Last Minute Vegan Thanksgiving Ideas

Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Spiced Doughnuts. The perfect mini finger food and very easy to make.

IMG 0619 thumb thumb   Last Minute Vegan Thanksgiving Ideas

Looking for a hostess gift? Why not give a jar of homemade Pumpkin Butter. It’s quick and easy. Just be sure to keep the lid ajar while it cooks down.

20101005IMG 9034 thumb1 thumb   Last Minute Vegan Thanksgiving Ideas

Looking for décor inspiration? Check out my Thanksgiving dinner décor on a budget from last year.

20101002IMG 4047 thumb thumb   Last Minute Vegan Thanksgiving Ideas

Have a fun & safe Thanksgiving to my Canadian friends!

I’m off to make a Green Monster, workout, shower and pack. Sketchie is already waiting by the door in his cat bag (he loves car rides and visits to see his kitty friends).

Jillian@ ladolcevitavegan.wordpress.com October 8, 2011

Everything looks so yummy! Especially the sweet potato dish! :) And your table looks beautiful as well! Happy Thanksgiving!

Lisa @ Fit in the Midwest October 8, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

I think you’d look good with a long bob. I just cut side swept bangs into my hair and took a chance. You can do it too! It’s nice to have something different to do with my hair.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 9, 2011

Thanks Lisa! I’m def thinking about it.

I wish I could have side bangs too as I love them! I have a bad cowlick that can’t be tamed. I tried bangs once and my bangs shot straight up, heh.

Olya October 8, 2011

“Getting the oil in my car changed”. Oh, I don’t want to know anything car related! I get away with it by telling my husband that all the “oil, repairs, regos etc etc” are totally a man’s job. I think if you tell it to a husband many enough times, he will start to believe it lol :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 9, 2011

So far no luck!
He says ‘it’s your car’ which is true, but we both drive it and only have 1 car! lol. I say it’s both of our cars ;)

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty October 8, 2011

I’m making a few of your things for Thanksgiving…

The sweet potatoes, pear/pecan salad, and there is something else too! Mmmm can’t wait!

Eat Hike Sleep Repeat October 8, 2011

I knew my procrastination would pay off! I keep getting asked by my omnivore partner, “So, what are you making yourself tomorrow instead of turkey”? I’ve hummed and hawed but hadn’t come up with the right dish. I was even going to be lazy and see if I could find a Tofurky. Thanks for the lentil loaf recipe. Perfect timing! Without the glaze, I’m thinking it will go perfect with a chanterelle sauce. Happy thanksgiving : )

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 9, 2011

I hope you like it! Happy Thanksgiving :)

Adrienne October 8, 2011

Everything looks amazing! I’m going to try making your lentil loaf sometime soon!

Michaela October 8, 2011

Angela, I only read this post until you suggested the meatloaf. Next thing I did, was getting the ingredients ready and oh my, this is soooo delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now I will read the rest of your post, I just wanted to let you know how much I have enjoyed this recipe.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 9, 2011

So happy to hear that!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life October 8, 2011

Delicious! I’m being hosted this year for Thanksgiving but I am hosting a vegetarian Christmas so this is going in my bookmarks to pull out then! Gives me a bit longer to ensure I’m not being last minute about Christmas too… :)

Georgina October 8, 2011

I love your menu, Angela! I will try a few of the recipes as I am trying to add some vegan dishes to our traditional meal. :) Happy Thanksgiving!

Carolyn @ HealthKitten.com October 8, 2011

Have a safe trip and a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

I wish my kitties loved to ride in the car!! Go Sketchie!

Kris | iheartwellness.com October 8, 2011

Awwwww, girl, Happy Thanksgiving!!!! Ok, my friend and I made the loaf today and OMG, it is HEAVEN!! Thanks for the recipe girl!! xxoo

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 9, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving Kris, glad you both enjoyed it!!

Moni'sMeals October 8, 2011

I would do just about anything to have any of these desserts! Golly. :)

Alyssa (Down To Earth) October 8, 2011

I cannot wait to make your pumpkin pie brownies – they look so scrumptious! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

Kristy H October 8, 2011

These ideas look great and the colour of the carrot soup is beautiful. I have just blackened some peppers and they are in the kitchen steaming, waiting to be added to your creamy red pepper hummus recipe. cant wait!

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! October 8, 2011

What an amazing spread! I would be on happy girl if that was on my Thanksgiving table :)

Andrea October 8, 2011

Your pumpkin gingerbread with spiced buttercream looks amazing, no wonder it’s so popular! I definately plan on trying that one out. Anything pumpkin and I’m in. I’m going to use your recipe to make pumpkin butter as well :)

Also, I used your recipe for quinoa cereal tonight and it turned out pretty tasty! Thank you! Have a good Thanksgiving!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 9, 2011

Glad you enjoyed the quinoa Andrea :)

Katrina October 8, 2011

All of these sound lovely. Thanks for the round up!

Marianne October 8, 2011

I just popped over to see your recipe for the lentil loaf, and your thoughts on the recipe from Clean Food – glad I read it, as I’m organizing a fall harvest dinner, and that loaf was one our vegan entree options. Sounds delicious, but I can’t exactly have a loaf that falls apart served at a fancy dinner. Would have commented on that post, but comments are closed (?!)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 9, 2011

Hey Marianne! Yea comments close after a couple months on the post. I was having a problem with spam, so it helps me control spammers from leaving 1000 comments on old posts. heh

Enjoy the loaf!

Kathy October 8, 2011

Awesome! I will totally check out those recipes, especially the mash potatoes and casserole.
Your going to the states? Which state? We’ve got 50 of them~! Ha! ^^

Sarah October 8, 2011

First of all, don’t cut your hair! Every time I get sick of my long hair that I never do anything with anyway and I think about cutting it, I regret it when I look back at photos of when I actually cut it! Plus, I feel like you have to style it MORE when it’s shorter…but I’m sure you’d look great either way so don’t listen to me. Secondly, you just made me want our US Thanksgiving to hurry up and get here with that yummy menu! I’m for sure going to make your mashed potatoes and that pumpkin gingerbread with spiced buttercream (WOW!). I’ve been hesitating with that lentil loaf…I trust you when you say it’s great but for some reason I’m stalling!
Thanks for all the great inspiration!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 9, 2011

aha I know every time I have cut it I regret it…but I’m thinking maybe a LONG bob would work? Only an inch shorter than it is now..

Hayley. (@healthyhayley) October 8, 2011

Angela love the ideas!! I am definitely going to make the pumpkin butter for sure!! and the Carrot Ginger soup will be perfect for my Turkey Dinner with friends on Tuesday!!

Hayley. (@healthyhayley) October 8, 2011

Plus — I LOVE THE NEW HEADER!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 9, 2011

Thanks!!

Rebecca October 9, 2011

Delicious looking ideas! Those Pumpkin spiced doughnuts may be made in the near future ;) I’m the same way with certain things on my to-do list-especially haircuts. I love getting my hair done, but I’m lazy about scheduling an appointment. And getting gas. It may only take 5 minutes, but I avoid it until my tank gets too low.

Tracy @ Tracy's Treats October 9, 2011

Changing my oil is one of my least favorite errands too. I don’t know why I dread it so much b/c all I have to do is bring the car in. These desserts all look incredible!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 10, 2011

haha I know, it’s not like we actually have to change the oil right?

Joann@womaninreallife October 9, 2011

The food choices look amazing! I too put off the haircuts. My split ends are ridiculous right now…the bob sounds good btw.

Lea -stil.werk- October 9, 2011

you do it well….so much food.
….i”m really hungry……
shit!

Lea ;-*

Allison O'Mara (Girl in her kitchen) October 9, 2011

I hate getting the oil in my car changed too! I don’t know why, they are always polite to me but I hate it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 9, 2011

I know the feeling!

eva @5fruitsNveggies October 9, 2011

thank you for posting a vegan meatloaf recipe that works!…i will follow yours to a T as well…
vegan meatloaf has been something i have given up on, sadly…i will let you know my results

Callie {rawxy} October 9, 2011

Wonderful ideas! I still need to make your Ultimate Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf – Looks especially delicious. Maybe, I’ll just add it in this week… I mean, who needs to wait until thanksgiving!? ;)

Jaime October 9, 2011

Thanks for the great recipes! I’m going to make the carrot soup, the lentil walnut loaf and the pumpkin gingerbread. I was thinking of substituting the raisins in the loa

Jaime October 9, 2011

Oops… my toddler hit the keys on the computer! Thanks for the great recipes!:) I’m going to make the carrot soup, the lentil walnut loaf and the pumpkin gingerbread. I was thining of substituting the raisins in the lentil loaf for dried cranberries, and adding some “poultry seasoning” (marjoram, thyme, rosemary, sage, and green onion mix) to make it more Thanksgivivng-ish…. Also thinking of doing a cranberry type glaze on top…We’ll see… should be good I think :) Thanks again, I can’t wait to try these! Especially the pumkin gingerbread loaf! Mmmmmm :) My sweet tooth has been cazy ever since I had my second son… aye aye aye… haha

Janiek October 9, 2011

Oh man that food looks soooo good!

Haley October 9, 2011

Your Thanksgiving table is beautiful! And that soup looks so warm and comforting! MMM!! (:

Jill @ A Cook's Nook October 9, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

The food loves fabulous and the table setting is beautiful :)

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers October 9, 2011

I’m not even vegan (or vegetarian), but I’m a HUGE fan of lentil loaves!

Hannah October 9, 2011

I want to make all of these recipes! Cute table setting, too. :)

Sophie @ LoveLiveAndLearn October 10, 2011

I love the decor, that table looks lovely :-)
The Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Spiced Doughnuts look amazing!
In fact all of this food looks delicious!

Tichina October 10, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving :) I’m in love with your Holiday Soup, it’s one of my favourite soups to make!

Diane October 10, 2011

Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving with family and friends! I am looking forward to trying your Vegan Thanksgiving recipes for my own Thanksgiving this year!!

Nobody October 10, 2011

i just made your walnut lentil loaf and what is NOT my grandmother’s sweet potato casserole, and i am absolutely glowing from the inside out, thanks to you. those recipes are going in my “keep” folder, and will definitely be made again!!! delicious!

Page 2 of 3«123»