Pumpkin Maple Baked Bean Cornbread Casserole

IMG 2692 thumb   Pumpkin Maple Baked Bean Cornbread Casserole

I always say the best recipes follow the worst disasters. And that’s just what happened yesterday. Because if one more thing went wrong, I was debating putting up a ‘Closed, please come again’ sign on the blog all Thanksgiving weekend.

The first step was admitting that I’m all baked out at the moment, which probably means I won’t bake for 3 long days before I’m desperate to bake something again. Cooking tends to be less risky when creating new recipes anyways. It’s not an exact science and I get to be careless and wild.

Add an extra tablespoon of milk by mistake? There are bigger problems. Dump an extra 3/4 cup of vegetables into the pot? I encourage it. Spill the container of salt in the pot? Ok, that’s bad. You know I’ve been there. And scooping off the salt on top…it doesn’t help one bit.

The more I think about it, the more I really love to cook. Salt spills and all.

IMG 2675 thumb   Pumpkin Maple Baked Bean Cornbread Casserole

This casserole is inspired by Jessica’s Chili cornbread pasta bake as well as Ashley’s version.

IMG 2655 thumb   Pumpkin Maple Baked Bean Cornbread Casserole

I decided to play around with my Maple Baked Beans recipe and it turned out fantastic. The old version is a slow cooker version, but I wanted to create one that could come together in just 15 minutes. I also added some pumpkin and a touch of cinnamon for a seasonal kick!

Boy, was I glad I did. And I saved my pumpkin from growing hair over the weekend.

As I tasted and cooked, I kept saying something was missing. I tried adding just 1 tablespoon of ketchup and it all came together perfectly. Surprisingly, this was not Eric’s idea but I think he’s rubbing off on me!

IMG 2658 thumb   Pumpkin Maple Baked Bean Cornbread Casserole

The cornbread comes together in just a few minutes.

I spread the bean mixture into a 2.3L greased casserole dish.

IMG 2661 thumb   Pumpkin Maple Baked Bean Cornbread Casserole

The cornbread layer went on top!

IMG 2662 thumb   Pumpkin Maple Baked Bean Cornbread Casserole

Then I baked it for about 35-40 minutes until golden. Cook time will vary based on the size of dish you use.

IMG 2669 thumb   Pumpkin Maple Baked Bean Cornbread Casserole

Sweet, Sweet casserole we have a winner.

IMG 2684 thumb   Pumpkin Maple Baked Bean Cornbread Casserole

Comfort food to the max.

IMG 2691 thumb   Pumpkin Maple Baked Bean Cornbread Casserole

Some things to note:

1) I suggest serving this immediately for best results. I tried reheating it in the microwave and it was still good, but keep in mind that the beans soften the cornbread with time. It’s best served immediately.

2) If you plan on bringing this somewhere for Thanksgiving, here’s what I would do: Prepare the bean mixture on the stove top at home and scoop it into your casserole dish. Add your DRY cornbread ingredients into a large zip-lock bag. In a jar or leak-proof container, add your milk and oil (unless of course you can get these two ingredients where you are going!). Once you arrive, all you have to do is mix the wet and dry cornbread ingredients, spread on top of beans, and bake. Just an idea!

3) Can I bake the cornbread on its own? Updates: I baked the oat flour and almond flour version on its own and it was quite crumbly, so I will need to work on the GF version more. I also tried using spelt flour and it held together quite well, but it wasn’t the best tasting version. More testing required! I also plan on making a pumpkin cornbread too.

4) I made the bean mixture the night before and let it sit in the fridge overnight. It saved time and also helped the flavours develop a bit more.

5) The cornbread is quite thick- about twice the size of the bean mixture when baked. We didn’t mind it one bit (I actually preferred lots of cornbread), but I thought I would mention it in case you have different expectations.

IMG 2699 thumb   Pumpkin Maple Baked Bean Cornbread Casserole

For my Canadian readers celebrating Thanksgiving this weekend, have a great one! If you’re looking for last minute Thanksgiving recipes, check out my post from last year for lots of ideas. If you’re not celebrating, I still encourage you to make this casserole!

We’re off to my in laws tomorrow, with vegan food in tow. It’s a good thing they already know I’m crazy.

Errign October 7, 2011

Yum! Do you know of any subs for molasses? It’s not an ingredient I use often so it’d be a shame to buy just for this..

Angela October 7, 2011

Hmm that is a toughie! I think it’s wonderful in this recipe. I know you can buy molasses at bulk barn (and just get the mat you like) but if not, I would like to think it would still turn out without it!

Angela October 7, 2011

amount I meant!

Becca October 11, 2011

Hi Errign!

I just made this recipe and didn’t have molasses, either – I subbed in 2.5 TB of brown sugar and upped the maple syrup to 6 TB, and they came out fantastic!

Thanks for the great recipe, Angela!

Becca

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 11, 2011

Thanks Becca!

Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy October 7, 2011

This combines 2 of my favorite things! Cornbread and baked beans!

Emmy (Wine and Butter) October 7, 2011

I love the detail you give in all your recipes!!!! It makes cooking seem so much less daunting!!!

Stacie October 7, 2011

I still remember (and have) all your awesome vegan Thanksgiving recipes from last year. I still can’t believe how much work you put into all of that….and I of course was not the one doing the cooking/recipe sharing, etc.

Hope you guys have an enjoyable weekend and thanks for what you do!

kathleen @ the daily crumb October 7, 2011

looks fantastic!! happy thanksgiving to the canadian folks :)

Anastasia October 7, 2011

YUMMMM!!!! This sounds just like a perfect hearty fall casserole. I am going to bake it in a few days for sure.

Penny October 7, 2011

I love all of your recipes! Happy Thanksgiving and remember to relax a bit.
Just wanted to share that I tried out your butternut squash mac & cheese recipe last night and YIPPPEEEE! The kids liked it. We have been vegan 1 year and gluten free for 6 months.
The kids are 11 and 17 and here lately very grumpy about all of the meal options :-(
One suggested adding tomatoes with the kale & spinach and the other suggested Chipolte chili powder (he likes things spicy). I have it printed off and at home in the kitchen, it is a rare occasion when BOTH kids like the same recipe. Can’t wait for more of your tasty creations.

Angela October 7, 2011

wow that is so great to hear! :) Thanks for sharing.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 7, 2011

Have a happy Thanksgiving with your inlaws! I always forget that Canadians celebrate TG a full 6 weeks or so earlier than Americans do..enjoy your holiday.

And all the food, fun, laughter and family bonding moments….and I can’t wait to see dessert pics from the event. I know your desserts last year were….epic :)

Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City October 7, 2011

wow yum!! i love fall recipes because they are so warm and homey :) i can’t wait to have some thanksgiving fixings this weekend in Canada. Sweet potato pie, here i come!

have a great weekend!!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is October 7, 2011

love that you made this with baked beans! yum.
happy thanksgiving!

Kristy H October 7, 2011

Have a great time this weekend. I’ve never had cornbread before so I look forward to trying this, it looks pretty tasty!

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles October 7, 2011

I just love the fall twist on this. Happy Thanksgiving!

Sarah October 7, 2011

Not much to say about this post, although I would like to try it :) I just wanted to say I love your site!! My story/backround is similar to yours in regards to an eating disorder and discovering the beauty and joy of eating healthy and finding balance in life. You are an inspiration! Your recipies and pics are awesome!!! Thanks so much for sharing with us!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 7, 2011

Thanks Sarah :) Goodluck with your journey!

Jodie October 7, 2011

I am so glad that you celebrate Thanksgiving before we do. I get to check out all of your great stuff and gather ideas a month in advance! This looks like it will be making it to my Thanksgiving table for sure!! Many Thanks to you!

Emily October 7, 2011

So I am a HUUUUGE fan of your maple baked beans recipe… and I usually make it with vegan corn bread, so I have to try this!! I’m a single person, though… how well do you think this would reheat?

Emily October 7, 2011

I mean, have you had leftovers? Did it last well in the fridge, or did the moister kind of destroy the corn bread?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 7, 2011

Hey Emily!
The cornbread definitely got soft with time (more so the part near the beans, not the top). It’s best served immediately, but with that being said, I will be eating the leftovers! You could probably make a half batch? Or just continue to make it separately.

lauren@spiced plate October 7, 2011

Oh my — if I make this I might have to make two batches — one for me and one for my husband! What a great idea! I was thinking of some sort of bean pie earlier this week when I mixed creamy cannelini beans with refried beans — the corn bread crust is genius!

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! October 7, 2011

OKay I think this is the best recipe you’ve ever come up with! PUMPKIN baked beans!?!!? Corn bread!?!?!?! TOGETHER!?! Ahhhhhh this looks SO good!

Kathy October 7, 2011

I’m not a fan of beans, but I am of cornbread!!

Emilia @ Namaste Gurl October 7, 2011

What a wonderful recipe– you’re so creative! Love all the thanksgiving type recipes all the bloggers are posting as of late, so fun :)
Pumpkin, cornbread, and beans, you can’t go wrong! I see myself making this and serving with kale chips or a smokey raw kale salad :)

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. October 8, 2011

Yum. Major Comfort Food!

Marianne October 8, 2011

I’m sad to hear this doesn’t keep/reheat as well the next day. I was thinking how great it would be to take for lunches at school. Perhaps I could just make the beans, and bake some cornbread on the side, and take them separately instead. Baked beans are something on my “must try” list – I’ve only ever had the canned variety (crazy, I know).

Kerrin E October 9, 2011

SO yummy!!! Thank you for making my vegetarian transition a successful one…I’m so happy to find delicious recipes. You are an inspiration!!

michelle October 9, 2011

This looks amazing! Perfect fall meal and I can’t wait to try it.

Becky October 10, 2011

I made this last night for dinner and OMG it was fabulous! I used cannellini beans instead of navy beans and dijon mustard instead of regular yellow, but it was wonderful! It was also a great way to use up that last bit of canned pumpkin I had leftover from another recipe of yours – I will definitely be making this casserole again. Keep up the good work!

Becky October 10, 2011

Oh, and it DOES make for great leftovers the next day. The cornbread is a little more moist on Day 2, but not in any offputting way – I thought it was a wonderful texture.

Kara October 10, 2011

Another idea is to use individual ramekins- you could make the beans and the cornbread batter and before baking keep them separate in the fridge and then just add a portion of each to bake in an individual ramekin each time you want a meal!- its more time consuming but also might be a meal you could enjoy all week/ avoid soggy cornbread!

Wynne October 11, 2011

I can’t wait to see your pumpkin cornbread recipe! And try pumpkin in the maple beans.

debra ford October 11, 2011

Is itr possible to make a subsitute for the cornbread? I unfortunaltey can’t eat corn and am GF so I am trying to think what I vcould put on top. The beans sound amazing, as your other recipes. I think I have found a place to be my main recipe place! Everything sounds delicious. Thanks so much!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 11, 2011

You could sub a biscuit on top. I recently made one for my peach apple cobbler that could work!

debra ford October 12, 2011

Thanks so much=I could use GF bisquick for the top. Can’t wait to make this!

melanie October 12, 2011

We have so much pumpkin mash right now (we like to cook it up and freeze it to use throughout the year) and I have been so excited to try this recipe. We are going to have it for dinner tonight and I’m going to use sorghum flour instead of the oat/almond combination. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Misty October 12, 2011

Started a new jon where I don’t have to be at work till noon on Wednesdays. So last weeks morning consisted of your new mac n cheese….turned out amazing! TODAY I made this…..amazing!!! I was short on navy beans, so yes…its a lot of corn bread! But I love it! Thanks so much for your blog! LOVE IT! and tell every veggie lovn’ foodie I know about it.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 12, 2011

I’m glad you enjoyed it Misty! :)

Rachel October 12, 2011

This was delicious! I made it (minus cranberries) in a loaf pan and had to stop myself from eating it all. On the second day, I had no problems whatsoever with the cornbread getting soggy or having a bad texture. Probably because of it being a thicker layer (,since it was in a loaf pan) or maybe because I used stone ground cornmeal. So if y’all can’t finish it in one day, go with a thicker layer of cornbread.

Juli D. October 12, 2011

Chipotle!

Juli D. October 12, 2011

Bah, sorry, meant to reply on another blog I had open. :-P Looking forward to making this though. :-)

ReneeB October 13, 2011

I made this for dinner last night, my husband said it was the best thing he’s ever ate! Thanks for sharing all of your great recipe’s!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

Wow that’s a success!!

Megan @ Long Distance Relationship October 13, 2011

I just made this and it came out great! I halved the recipe no problem.

My boyfriend and I have recently started eating vegan and your website has been a great resource for new recipes. This one is definitely going to be a favorite this season!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2011

Glad you enjoyed it!

Leslie Best October 17, 2011

Amazing! This was the first recipe I’ve tried of yours and loved it! Can’t wait to try more.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 17, 2011

Glad you enjoyed it Leslie!

Kate R October 18, 2011

In case you happen to overcook it a little (like I did) & it turns out a little dry: drizzling it with balsamic vinegar or a balsamic reduction is a nice flavor combo!

Micala Littlefield October 20, 2011

This looks delicious, can’t wait to try it :)
Just wondering, do you think that the sugar for the cornbread could be omitted?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 20, 2011

I wouldn’t recommend it

Gabby October 23, 2011

I just made this- delicious! Didn’t change anything; it was just perfect.

Erin November 1, 2011

I finally had a chance to make this recipe and it was amazing! I love the tanginess of the beans mixed with the slight sweetness from the dried cranberries. For the cornbread I used whole wheat flour in place of the oat and almond flours and it worked beautifully.

P.S. You have renewed my faith in vegan breads! The first time I tried an eggless quick-bread years ago it was gummy and I have been hesitant to try another one but the texture to this cornbread was so perfect.

Kate November 12, 2011

Finally made this last night and it totally blew my mind. It was not only the best thing I’ve made in a while, but the best thing I’ve eaten in a while. I think this will be on the thanksgiving table in two weeks…

Deanna August 8, 2012

Hello there, this type of cooking is new for us, and we are really enjoying your website! Tried a few things and love them so far. And your website has given me some good ideas to make a few of my traditional family dishes even healthier than before! I do have one question though. A few of your recipes seem to have almond milk, and though i find it great, i cannot cook with it as the hubby is allergic to it. Is there something similar that i can substitute it for that does the same in the recipes?

Page 2 of 3«123»