The Thanksgiving Pumpkin Pie That Never Was

IMG 2268 thumb   The Thanksgiving Pumpkin Pie That Never Was

You know, I think Pumpkin Pies are totally overrated.

Pumpkin, sugar, and a buttery crust? Meh.

Over it. Pumpkin Pie is so 1651.

But clearly you wouldn’t believe such a tall tale. You know me better than that…don’t you. You know the truth is that I desperately wanted to make a vegan and soy-free pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving this weekend. I wanted to make it for you, so you could make it for your families.

…and maybe send me one in the mail.

Well, it bombed. And I don’t mean, “It fell apart, but still tasted amazing!”, but “it fell apart and tasted like it had been sitting on the counter since Thanksgiving 1987.”

For real.

Remember my beloved Double chocolate torte that hides avocados so well? That was a good idea.

Pumpkin Pie Cinnamon Rolls? Excellent idea.

Avocados in a pumpkin pie filling? Bad idea. Baaaaaad idea.

IMG 2584 thumb   The Thanksgiving Pumpkin Pie That Never Was

Have you ever tasted avocados after they’ve been cooked in the oven? They are bitter…and musky. Two excellent qualities for a pumpkin pie.

Not.

In this sad moment, I remembered the Pumpkin Brownie Pie I made last year adapted from Isa’s recipe.

20101002IMG 4091 thumb   The Thanksgiving Pumpkin Pie That Never Was

Chocolate brownie, pumpkin pie filling, with a sweet pecan topping?

20101002IMG 3991 thumb   The Thanksgiving Pumpkin Pie That Never Was

Great idea.

20101002IMG 4025 thumb   The Thanksgiving Pumpkin Pie That Never Was

Somehow, I don’t think my family will mind me making this two years in a row.

20101002IMG 4102 thumb   The Thanksgiving Pumpkin Pie That Never Was

If I recall, it was the talk of the table last year. The Pumpkin Gingerbread with Spiced Buttercream did pretty well for itself too. You can find the recipes in this PDF.

20101002IMG 8854 thumb   The Thanksgiving Pumpkin Pie That Never Was

I just hope they aren’t expecting a Luxury Dinner Party. That’s where I draw the line.

As for that pumpkin pie, I guess there’s always hope for the American Thanksgiving. Perhaps, I shouldn’t give up just yet…

~~~

And now from a failed recipe to blog awards. I have stellar timing, don’t I? ;)

n bestoverall thumb   The Thanksgiving Pumpkin Pie That Never Was n bestvegblog thumb   The Thanksgiving Pumpkin Pie That Never Was

A big thank you to everyone who nominated me for a Foodbuzz award!! I found out yesterday that I was nominated for two categories:

• Best Overall Blog
  • Best Veg Blog

I would greatly appreciate your vote(s) of support, but if you don’t vote for me there are a ton of amazing bloggers all worthy in their categories. I’m so happy to see many friends on the list!

You can vote here!

Now I’m off to rock the vote…literally, at the polls.

I’ll return with a kick butt recipe. Mark my words.

Mara October 6, 2011

Of course you will crack it and come back with THE BEST pumpkin pie recipe in pie-land! I must ask how the crust turned out though? Or is there no honourable mention there. I am looking fwd to incorporating some of your Thanksgiving menu items into our dinner this year. Especially the pumpkin brownie pie! Can that be the main course, heehee! Good luck and congratulations on the nominations, and now off to vote!

Bethany October 6, 2011

Hi Angela!

Have you ever heard of the Gluten Free Goddess? I thought of you since I noticed she’s got a pretty tasty looking vegan pumpkin pie at http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2010/11/gluten-free-pumpkin-pie-with-praline.html.

Pumpkin anything is heavenly for me, though I think I’ll skip ever trying to make it with avos. :0) Kudos for your bravery!

Happy Thursday!

Bethany :0)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 7, 2011

Thanks I will check it out!

Gena October 6, 2011

Congrats, lady!!!! And god that pie looks fantastic.

Lisa (bakebikeblog) October 6, 2011

Big congrats on your VERY DESERVING nominations@!!!

Mara October 6, 2011

Hi Angela, I’m looking for the pecan crust recipe for the Pumpkin Brownie Pie as noted in the Thanksgiving Menu pdf file. I can’t seem to find it anywhere. Help! Thank you so much

Char October 6, 2011

Definitely making that pie, Thanksgiving or not.

And definitely already voted :)

Becki @ Bites 'n Brews October 6, 2011

I thrived on your garlic knots and cranberry sauce last year. This year I’m going for that brownie!

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing October 6, 2011

Hi Angela! Have you tried any of Elana Amsterdam’s recipes? (elanaspantry.com) In her first cookbook, there is an absolutely amazing vegan pumpkin pie recipe — and it’s GF, which obviously I appreciate since I can’t eat gluten ;) It honestly tasted better to me than non-vegan versions. I mention it because maybe that would be a place to get some inspiration? Darn avocados… they seem so perfect for just about everything, and then experiments like this happen. *sigh* Regardless, the Pumpkin Brownie Pie looks like it can cover a multitude of failed experiments ;)

Marissa October 6, 2011

hi angela, my family & i loved your pumpkin gingerbread last year. since then, i have become GF. Just wondering if you think almond flour would work in place of the regular flour that the recipe calls for? i/’d love to see any suggestions/modifications you have for this if you feeling like playing with the recipe! thanks!

Kari @ bite-sized thoughts October 6, 2011

I guess even avocado fails sometimes :P

Congratulations on the nominations! Very exciting (and well deserved) :)

Aja October 6, 2011

Oh my gosh I’ve been looking for a vegan pumpkin pie recipe. You can totally figure it out.

Congrats on the nominations!

Rhea October 6, 2011

I love Karina’s GF/V pumpkin pie – it’s technically crust-less, but she uses a bit of buckwheat flour in it, which cooks up with a crust-like texture. That, with some coconut milk whipped “cream” and you almost wouldn’t know you were eating vegan!

The recipe is here:

Tracy @ Tracy's Treats October 6, 2011

Congrats on your nominations! That is so wonderful and you truly deserve them!

Jaime October 6, 2011

Congrats on the nominations. I will definitely be voting for you! I love your blog:) You are such and inspiration.

Emily @ The Divine Carrot October 7, 2011

It happens to the best of us…. hehe! But if you don’t experiment you’ll never discover anything new, right?! :))

Amanda October 7, 2011

Congrats on your nominations! Fantastic news!

I didn’t know avocados did that when you cooked them, bummer. I know they brown quickly but bitter and musky??? Ugh. I guess you’ll have to ‘settle’ for the pumpkin pie brownie. Happy Thanksgiving!

Stepfanie October 7, 2011

I’m so glad someone else pointed this out–I’ve noticed a beefy taste to cooked avocado. Bleh.

jess white October 7, 2011

I can safely say that we’ve all had pie crust failures! just roll with the punches, or shall i say pumpkins!!

Sara October 7, 2011

You have my vote! :)

Emily Segal October 7, 2011

I voted for you! Your blog is the best of all the rest,

Michaela October 7, 2011

Can I please come to your please for a chat and a piece of that pie? It looks divine!!
And congrats on the nomination :)

Mac October 7, 2011

Mmm looks good! Congrats on the nomination!

Isobelle October 7, 2011

Oh, man! This looks too good to be true. I have been staring at a cupboard full of pumpkin for the past two weeks and have been making excuses not to use it, mainly because I have just been waiting for the right recipe to come along.
Now, bingo! Here it is. Thanks a bunch :)

Jeanette October 8, 2011

If you are even still reading this comments (because wow you have alot!) I have a great vegan, soy free one it uses coconut milk. I can dredge up the recipe if you want but the basics are sugar, pumpkin coconut milk and the crust uses palm fruit shortening. Good luck

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 8, 2011

That sounds tasty! :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) October 10, 2011

That pumpkin gingerbread with spiced butter cream is still one of the best tasting foods I have ever had the pleasure of eating. I have made it so many times, and can’t wait to make it again very soon.

Kelsey October 11, 2011

I like that you blog about both success and failure ;)

Alexandra October 11, 2011

Hey Angela! I make your pumpkin pie brownie cupcakes and they are absolutely amazing. Fun fact: I just finished eating one now and am still savouring the moment… mmmmm. Thank you for all your inspiring & delicious posts! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 11, 2011

Glad you enjoyed them Alexandra! :) Wish I had one too… ;)

Jenn October 20, 2011

I’ve had luck blending cashews with pumpkin, sweetener, spices and thickener for a delicious, rich, vegan and soy free pumpkin pie.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 20, 2011

That sounds great :)

Celena November 3, 2011

I just found your site and OH MY GOODNESS, I’m in love. We have very similar tastes and ideas, methinks, and I’m super excited to start following you in your culinary adventures. That said, I too am on a search to make a delicious vegan pumpkin pie with NO TOFU! Le sigh… I made about 3 or 4 versions last November (to the amusement of my boyfriend). A couple came close, but I’m a perfectionist. I am setting out to try some new things this year and hope for better results. If they don’t turn out, though, or perhaps even if they do, that chocolate pumpkin brownie pie IS happening! As is the pumpkin gingerbread. Thank you! And Congrats on your nominations! :))

Page 3 of 3«123