The Thanksgiving Pumpkin Pie That Never Was

IMG_2268

You know, I think Pumpkin Pies are totally overrated.

Pumpkin, sugar, and a buttery crust? Meh.

Over it. Pumpkin Pie is so 1651.

But clearly you wouldn’t believe such a tall tale. You know me better than that…don’t you. You know the truth is that I desperately wanted to make a vegan and soy-free pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving this weekend. I wanted to make it for you, so you could make it for your families.

…and maybe send me one in the mail.

Well, it bombed. And I don’t mean, “It fell apart, but still tasted amazing!”, but “it fell apart and tasted like it had been sitting on the counter since Thanksgiving 1987.”

For real.

Remember my beloved Double chocolate torte that hides avocados so well? That was a good idea.

Pumpkin Pie Cinnamon Rolls? Excellent idea.

Avocados in a pumpkin pie filling? Bad idea. Baaaaaad idea.

IMG_2584

Have you ever tasted avocados after they’ve been cooked in the oven? They are bitter…and musky. Two excellent qualities for a pumpkin pie.

Not.

In this sad moment, I remembered the Pumpkin Brownie Pie I made last year adapted from Isa’s recipe.

20101002IMG_4091

Chocolate brownie, pumpkin pie filling, with a sweet pecan topping?

20101002IMG_3991

Great idea.

20101002IMG_4025

Somehow, I don’t think my family will mind me making this two years in a row.

20101002IMG_4102

If I recall, it was the talk of the table last year. The Pumpkin Gingerbread with Spiced Buttercream did pretty well for itself too. You can find the recipes in this PDF.

20101002IMG_8854

I just hope they aren’t expecting a Luxury Dinner Party. That’s where I draw the line.

As for that pumpkin pie, I guess there’s always hope for the American Thanksgiving. Perhaps, I shouldn’t give up just yet…

~~~

And now from a failed recipe to blog awards. I have stellar timing, don’t I? ;)

n-bestoverall n-bestvegblog

A big thank you to everyone who nominated me for a Foodbuzz award!! I found out yesterday that I was nominated for two categories:

• Best Overall Blog
  • Best Veg Blog

I would greatly appreciate your vote(s) of support, but if you don’t vote for me there are a ton of amazing bloggers all worthy in their categories. I’m so happy to see many friends on the list!

You can vote here!

Now I’m off to rock the vote…literally, at the polls.

I’ll return with a kick butt recipe. Mark my words.

1 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 6, 2011

Congrats on your nominations! When I read them on the Foodbuzz site earlier on Wednesday, I was so happy for you to see your name in two categories. You have worked so hard, Angela, and deserve every bit of your amazing success. Congrats!

And I remember the Pumpkin Brownie Pie from last year like it was yesterday. Time flies!

2 Dawn @ Blonde on a Mission October 6, 2011

Congrats on the nominations! I love your blog and I definitely think you deserve to win!

I don’t think my family will mind me making that pumpkin brownie pie this year either =)

3 Emmy (Wine and Butter) October 6, 2011

Congratulations!!!!!! Even though Im not vegan I ADORE your blog… and continue to find your honesty and hard work massively inspirational. I know thousands of others feel the same!!!! so (obviously) im totally voting for you! xoxo

4 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 6, 2011

Congrats on the nominations, Ange! And that pumpkin gingerbread with spiced buttercream will always hold a special place in my heart. It was delicious!!! :)

5 Tanya @ Vegan Faith October 6, 2011

I was getting excited for a pumpkin pie recipe…oh well, those two desserts you made are my all time favorite of yours so I don’t mind one bit, I will probably be repeating those this year as well! Congrats on the foodbuzz awards!

6 Hayley @ Oat Couture October 6, 2011

Congratulations on the nominations love! Very well deserved!! Also your chocolate brownie with pumpkin pie filling looks to die for! I actually have a bowl of freshly pureed pumpkin sitting in my fridge waiting to be turned into something delicious… only thing is I have a bad feeling i’m all out of pecans! :/

7 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 6, 2011

Congrats on the nominations Angela! The amount of effort you put into this blog is truly amazing – you deserve to win! :)

I am so excited for pumpkin pie this weekend – I’m literally look forward to it all year!

8 Heather October 6, 2011

You are wonderful, Angela. I totally admire how you post “fail” recipes. I definitely look up to you and it really makes me (and fellow bloggers/readers) connect with you on a deeper level. We’re all human and it’s a nice little laugh to share. :-) That said, I know you’re going to come back with another home run recipe…and I can’t wait to read it!

9 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2011

Thanks Heather that’s sweet! :)

10 Jessica October 6, 2011

Congrats on the nommies!!! You totally deserve them!! I am so sorry that your pumpkin pie didn’t turn out well :( I am positive though that you will com back with a vegence and create another stellar recipe! :)

11 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 6, 2011

Congrats on the nominations! My cousin went to culinary school and for the past three years we’ve been expecting her to make Thanksgiving dinner. Haha she loves it and hates it at the same time. Although last year we all had to pitch in since she couldn’t fly in from NY until the morning of! Poor thing… I wonder what’s on the menu this year…

12 Rebecca October 6, 2011

Congratulations on the nominations! You totally deserve them! I was just thinking about your pumpkin pie brownies…MUST make them this season! Yum, it’s like the marriage of all my favorite autumn desserts :)

13 Alexis @ hummusapien October 6, 2011

Good thing I voted for you before I saw this post!! Haha just kidding :) but I bought five cans of pumpkin lately so I’m dying to make that pumpin brownie pie!

14 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2011

LOL…my cover is blown!

15 katie@ KatieDid October 6, 2011

Congrats on your nominations, you already received my votes twice yesterday! Ahh those dessert, yes I remember them from last year. I don’t think I’d mind one bit if you made them every year for the next 10 for a party. Happy Thanksgiving to you!

16 Rebecca October 6, 2011

Congrats on the nomination! And I couldn’t agree more about the avocados… those should never, ever be baked! That’s a lesson you need learn only once because they are so nasty when baked. I made the horrible mistake of trying an avocado on pizza one day (I was trying to be creative). Like you, very bad idea! ;-)

17 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2011

Oh yes, they get so bitter don’t they?

18 Lauren @ What Lauren Likes October 6, 2011

Congrats on the noms!! Hahaha I totally agree as well about baking the avocados….bleh! :D

19 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit October 6, 2011

Oh my gosh… I was planning an avocado based pumpkin pie for this weekend! I’m SO happy you told me it doesn’t work. Okay, back to the drawing board.
Already voted for you! Good luck :)

20 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2011

Really? I thought I was the only crazy one who would attempt that. I’m glad you didn’t make it! lol

21 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit October 6, 2011

My thought was it would make it creamier. I was going to make it no bake and wanted to play around with the consistency. Maybe I’ll make a half batch and try it? It has to work… somehow, right? I’m a taurus… I’m stubborn haha

22 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2011

haha I didn’t know you were a taurus…I am too. :) Def. stubborn to a TEE.
I’m thinking about turning my chocolate torte into a chocolate pumpkin torte, but I don’t know if that will taste any better or if it’s worth it. I think I’m going to stick with savoury dinner recipes for a while…they rarely flop!
Goodluck with your trials!

23 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit October 6, 2011

Oh yes, you are too! I’d forgotten. I think once you learn to control your taurus powers you have some pretty awesome skills! I used to hate my stubbornness as a kid (or maybe my Mom hated it more?) But as an adult, I’ve found it gives you a really strong hunger for success and self fulfillment!
And… oh man. That chocolate torte would be so fantastic with pumpkin. I’m with you on sticking to the safe bets though. I tried those cupcakes again last night and they were way too dry. Ugh!

24 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2011

I love the thought of controlling the powers! bahaha. I will have to tell Eric that one. He tells me my biggest hurdle to overcome with recipe creation is NOT GIVING UP on a really bad recipe. I spend too much time focusing on ONE ingredient too (for example this week I was SET on pumpkin baked good for some reason). It’s that Taurus tunnel vision I guess. ;)

He will be like ‘Why not make something with apples?”

“Apples? apples are not pumpkin”

:D

25 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit October 6, 2011

haha Eric sounds SO much like Kevin, my boyfriend. He’s so grounded and calm and open to anything and I’m that girl in the kitchen ridiculously focused on one thing. Tunnel vision is a great way of putting it.

26 tweal October 6, 2011

I love how honest you are about your recipe flops! I absolutely adore pumpkin pie, but I have to agree that cooked avocados don’t sound too enticing. I keep experimenting with pumpkin pie recipes, and I have yet to find one I really love, but so far they have all been edible. Pumpkin brownie pie sounds pretty great! Dreena Burton also has a chocolate pumpkin pie recipe that is amazing, and so easy to make. I have a feeling this weekend will be all about treats :)

27 Angela @ PattycakesnPancakes October 6, 2011

You’ve already got my vote!

28 Heather (Heather's Dish) October 6, 2011

seriously, this looks delicious. i need more pumpkin in my life…stat.

29 Katrina October 6, 2011

I voted for you in both categories! These pumpkin recipes sound lovely!

30 meredith (pursuing balance) October 6, 2011

aww don’t you hate when kitchen experiments fail? but sometimes kitchen experiments turn out amazing, and that’s why you just keep doing it!
my sister and i make vegan pumpkin cheesecake for thanksgiving every year. the first year my mom bought a cherry pie to supplement, in case the cheesecake didn’t go over well, but i don’t think anyone even took a slice of the cherry pie b/c they were so enamored with our vegan baked good! i’ll try to find the recipe for you, if you want :)

31 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2011

Thanks for your support guys! :)

32 Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove October 6, 2011

I’m not a big fan of pumpkin pie anyway (I like apple much more). That brownie pie sounds way better. :)

33 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2011

mmm maybe I should make an apple pie!

34 Anna @ On Anna's Plate October 6, 2011

Well, I guess you have to make the mistake to know, right? Good thing you have such a stellar back- up pie recipe :-)

Congrats on the noms!

35 sarah October 6, 2011

Sorry to hear about the failed recipe – have you thought of using an agar base, perhaps made from almond milk? That might sufficiently thicken it. And maybe you could also used some soaked cashews. I know too many nuts aggravate your stomach (mine too!) so that’s why I am thinking a cashew and agar pudding combo for thickness + richness!

I made that brownie pumpkin pie bit of genius last year. It was brilliant, and a total hit at my Thanksgiving in Oz party!

36 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2011

Soaked cashews is a great idea…I would never have thought to try that. That would make it quite creamy. I have agar flakes…but I don’t think I have used them yet.

37 marla October 6, 2011

All of this pumpkin is magical! My favorite time of year. I voted for you yesterday in both categories. Congrats girl!! xxoo

38 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2011

Thanks Marla!

39 sarah October 6, 2011

PS Katie has a recipe for basic agar pudding here: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2008/12/17/out-of-one-many/

40 VeggieGirl October 6, 2011

Congrats!! And I just went and read the post from your first vegan thanksgiving and it was SUCH an inspiration- what pretty place settings :)

Here in Florida we go to a HUGE vegetarian/vegan thanksgiving potluck hosted at the Temple of the Universe. We discovered it last year, it was wonderful! About 300 vegetarians/vegans all bring dishes and everyone holds hands in a circle and gives thanks, then tucks in! Its like a GIANT picnic, and the food was SO amazing and not one “frank” was hurt in the making ;) I cant wait to do a post about it this year, and bring my camera!!

41 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2011

Wow that sounds amazing :) Can I come? heh
Glad you enjoyed the post. Poor Frank…Eric made me throw him out this summer!

42 Brittany Miller October 6, 2011

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that you made the PDF!!! That’s such a great idea and I printed it out. I absolutely CAN’T wait to make some of those recipes and wow my family this year. :)

43 Ali October 6, 2011

I voted for you! Congrats :) Thanks for the amazing inspiration every day!

44 Sam@I Tell Stories October 6, 2011

My friend has a great pumpkin pie recipe if you’re willing to keep experimenting – http://healthykitchenblog.blogspot.com/

45 Jennifer P October 6, 2011

I was planning on trying the pumpkin pie recipe over at http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/spicekissed-pumpkin-pie-recipe.html … the only tweak it would need to be vegan would be to use flax eggs instead of the real ones. Make a graham crust out of your vegan graham crackers and you’re good to go ;)

46 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 6, 2011

Congrats on your nominations Angela! They are well deserved. :)

47 Melissa October 6, 2011

Muhaha, “pumpkin pie is so 1651..” you crack me up! Congrats on the nominations!!! And thanks for sharing your kitchen fails; it’s nice to know a talented chef like yourself also has those moments!!

48 Cait's Plate October 6, 2011

Haha – even your failed recipes look incredible to me so following this post up with your awards seems like perfect timing to me :)

49 Felicia (Natural + Balanced) October 6, 2011

honestly, the brownie recipe and gingerbread were two of my favorite recipes i made last thanksgiving. they are SO delicious! and i’m definitely making them this year again :) congrats on the nominations ! with all your hard work you deserve it!

50 Carolyn @ HealthKitten.com October 6, 2011

I love that you have the guts to put up your failure recipes! And congrats on your nominations – I hope to be in the same company someday! :)

51 kathleen @ the daily crumb October 6, 2011

congrats on the nominations :)

my husband and i are hosting our first thanksgiving dinner and i have added SO many of your recipes to the menu. funny thing is, none of our guests are vegan, or even vegetarian, but your food is so wonderfully appealing to any type of eater!

52 JenATX October 6, 2011

is it thanksgiving in Canada this weekend? Happy Thanksgiving! I’m sure no one will miss that pumpkin pie flop… traditional pies are nice but mixing it up with a variation keeps everyone on their toes!

53 Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy October 6, 2011

Congrats on the nominations! And all those desserts look so yummy!

54 Malva October 6, 2011

I use Bryanna’s Pumpkin Pie as my go to pumpkin pie base. It’s soy free and works great:

I don’t follow her procedures and add a walnut streusel topping. Yummy!

55 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2011

Looks good! That filling looks similar to the filling I use on the brownie pie. It holds together quite well, but I guess I just assumed it wouldn’t in a traditional pie! Maybe I should give it a go :)

56 Jenny @ Simply Be...me October 6, 2011

Congrats on your nominations! You deserve it. I just found your blog this year so I am loving all the link backs to previous recipes. Especially since a lot of them contain pumpkin right now!

I’ve never tried cooking avocado but I did put one in a smoothies once and will never do it again! It made it taste like chlorine :(

57 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2011

Thanks Jenny :)

I’ve had a bad result with avocado in a smoothie too. I did make a vegan egg nog with (frozen) avocado flesh and it was actually quite good! http://ohsheglows.com/2010/12/18/vegan-nog-classic-and-peppermint/

58 Jenny @ Simply be...me October 6, 2011

Thanks! I can’t wait for Christmas and holiday baking to start appearing in blog land! This is a great way to start :)

59 Bitt October 6, 2011

Mmm I love me some pumpkin pie too. It’s hard to find vegan recipe without tofu. But keep at it, we’ll all appreciate it. As for those pumpkin brownies, I dud not have good results transferring them to GF, so if you do, please tell us how it worked and with what flour.

Congrats on your nomination. Is this like the project food blog last year?

60 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2011

I also tried making it GF with poor results (I used almond meal and oat flour). I find vegan brownies are so tough to nail and add GF into the pot and it’s reeeeally tough. I will def. blog about any future results!

61 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2011

Oops I meant to say, it’s not project food blog, but simply a voting poll. I heard PFB is coming up this Spring.

62 bitt October 6, 2011

all i can say is somehow manifest vegan always figures it out! maybe shes cracked the code

63 Alex @ Raw Recovery October 6, 2011

I know bananas have a stronger flavor, but maybe they would be a good replacement for the avocado?

64 Cat @Breakfast to Bed October 6, 2011

Maybe a pumpkin pudding?

65 Jeni October 6, 2011

Don’t give up!!! If you could make a vegan pumpkin pie in time for the US Thanksgiving I would cry with happiness!!!

66 Andrea B. @ Vegvacious October 6, 2011

It’s hard to believe that it’s about one year ago that I stumbled across your blog and fell in love with the world of food/healthy living blogging!! You’ve inspired me so much over the past year and I have used so many of your amazing recipes so thanks a bunch! I’m pretty sure your family won’t mind a tray of those brownies this weekend — in fact, I think my family might be getting a tray as well!!

67 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2011

Aww thank you Andrea!

68 Amy @ The Whole Sweet Scoop October 6, 2011

Congrats doll! Very much deserved :)
Avocados in pumpkin pie sounds like it would work so well! I’m not going to lie, I’m glad you experimented before I did haha

69 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2011

That’s what Im here for ;)

70 jenny October 6, 2011

Don’t give up! I’ve tried a combo of brown rice, arrowroot & coconut flour as a stabilizer for a pumpkin pie with pretty good results. You can even make it in your slow cooker!!

71 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2011

Oh that sounds interesting! I’ll have to check it out :) Link?

72 Lisa@HealthyDiaries October 6, 2011

I love your blog and always come to it when I’m in need of a good healthy baking recipe! Keep up the great work!

73 Moni'sMeals October 6, 2011

I have all the faith in you… You never let us down and you try so hard, I get so frustrated after one or two fails, haha. :)

Congrats, whoop-whoop!

74 Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl October 6, 2011

Its bet its hard at times to accept that the time and energy spent into making a soon-to-be-fabulous concoction fails. But it will only make you better when you try again (and if need again).

You deserve that nomination. Heading over to vote now. :)

75 Ashley October 6, 2011

You are so deserving of both those awards. Congrats my dear!! And that brownie pumpkin pie. I don’t even know what to say.

76 Heidi October 6, 2011

I have had trouble making a pumpkin pie too! I have big shoes to fill as my husband insists that only his grandmother knows how to make one.
I voted for you yesterday! Fingers crossed!

77 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2011

haha those grandmothers can make a mean pie, that’s for sure. Thanks for your vote!

78 Missy October 6, 2011

Hi Angela, I just found your blog last night through the Food Buzz awards. We are just beginning our vegan journey at my house and I’m so happy to find recipes I’m excited to try on your blog. Loving your “fails” posts too! LOL

Thank you for the no soy recipes. Being so very new into this journey, it’s really frustrating not finding many vegan recipes that do not utilize soy. They are much appreciated!

79 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2011

Hey Missy, I’m happy you found the blog! Thanks for your encouragement :) I agree it can be hard to find soy-free recipes too!

80 Kiah October 6, 2011

Hey, it’s refreshing to see a non-perfect recipe on here :-)
Congrats on the blog nominations! woot woot!

81 Samantha - www.sammy-jane.blogspot.com October 6, 2011

Do you think your could use your pumpkin butter for the base of the pumpkin pie filling. Also I made vegan brownies using cocnut cream one time (ok a couple of times…) It is amazing. Here is the link to that recipe http://sammy-jane.blogspot.com/2011/03/whole-wheat-banana-brownies.html
…. maybe pumpkin butter + coconut cream = pumpkin pie filling???? Im not sure but that is the kind of math that is fun to practice….

82 Samantha - www.sammy-jane.blogspot.com October 6, 2011

Oh and voting for your right now….. :)

83 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2011

Oh thanks I will check that out. :) Thanks for your votes btw!

84 lynn @ the actor's diet October 6, 2011

big congrats on the noms!

85 Living, Learning, Eating October 6, 2011

Isn’t it a little early for Thanksgiving? :P

86 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2011

Nope Canadian Thanksgiving is this weekend!

87 Becky October 6, 2011

Brownie, pumpkin, and pecan…oh, heaven. That pie looks divine. Fall is just the best time to eat – EVER. Hey, and you totally deserve the nominations! Congrats! Your blog is wonderful. I can’t stay away!

88 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com October 6, 2011

Big congrats on FB! Best cooks/bakers are made of trials and errors :)

89 Jackie @ That Deep Breath October 6, 2011

Wow…brownie pumpkin pie? How did I miss that recipe?? And congrats on your nominations!!

90 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers October 6, 2011

I still can’t wait to make your pumpkin gingerbread. I wanted to make it forever ago and just never got around to it. Shame on me because it sounds so wonderful!

Good luck with the awards and congrats with the nominations!

91 Kristin @ eat healthy. be happy. live well October 6, 2011

Congrats on the nominations! Sorry about the pie, but thanks for sharing so we could all learn to not bake avocados!! :)

92 Amber K October 6, 2011

Congratulations on the nominations! Totally excited for you.

My favorite pumpkin pie recipe was the one I made last year after discovering I had to go gluten-free. http://blog.julesglutenfree.com/2010/11/easy-pumpkin-pie-no-crust-necessary/

I just changed a few things around, used rice flour instead of her flour mix, used vegan alternatives and no bourbon. It was delicious!

93 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2011

wow that looks fun!!!

94 Jennifer October 6, 2011

I always liked this recipe better than actual pumpkin pie (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/pumpkin-banana-mousse-tart-recipe/index.html). I’m not sure that you could adapt it–given the large amounts of cream–but it does already have banana in lieu of oil.

95 Miriam @ Sometimes I Veg October 6, 2011

There’s nothing wrong with failing at a recipe from time to time (unless you package up that recipe and sell it to people – as some backpackaging meals do). No one in my house is a pumpkin pie fan, I prefer to use it in other ways. I’ll gladly use other successful recipes in it’s place.

I’m so glad you got the nominations. I think I nominated you for 3 or 4 categories.

96 Halley (Blunder Construction) October 6, 2011

For a second, you had me fooled. I was thinking, who is this blogger that dislikes pumpkin pie and what did she do with Angela!? I know you’ll work out a killer recipe for the pie soon enough!

97 Cindy October 6, 2011

was trying to embrace fall and made the pumpkin gingerbread with spiced buttercream last week…was all gone within 24hrs. (hubby and kiddos helped me eat it up) Delish!!

98 Ashley October 6, 2011

I’ve never had pumpkin pie, but I bought a few pumpkin pie pumpkins and am planning on making my this recipe (the brownie one). I think my family will love it! And I also love the vegan Thanksgiving you had– all those dishes look delightful!

99 Sara October 6, 2011

Voted!
Many of my recipe fails have included avocado. I don’t know what the deal is.

100 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2011

Thanks Sara!
I have a ton of flops with pumpkin…mainly sweet baked goods!

101 Shaun @ snackasaurusrex October 6, 2011

You win some, you lose some! The pumpkin cinnamon roll looks to die for!

102 Anna @ The Guiltless Life October 6, 2011

Congrats! You so deserve those nominations. And I, for one, really appreciate you posting recipe failures too because I can learn from those mistakes so we’re not all repeating mistakes all over the place! So they’re just as valuable to me as the success posts. Thank you!

103 Angela @ MyPinkyToes October 6, 2011

Congratulations for being nominated for the awards! You definitely deserve it…your blog inspires soooo many people!

104 Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles October 6, 2011

Glad to know I’m not the only one with recipe failures :)

Congrats on the nomination, you already got my vote!

105 nickee October 6, 2011

I think this is the first time Im commenting on your blog – but I’ve been reading for a long time. I voted for you earlier today before even reading this post! Oh…and voted in both those categories :))

106 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2011

Thank you I appreciate your support! :)

107 Ellie@fitforthesoul October 6, 2011

yay, congrats on the nomination Angela~~! And I’m craving pumpkin pie like no other! Thanks a lot :P

108 Mary October 6, 2011

Even if they didn’t turn out they look tasty. And congrats on the nominee!

109 Nicole @ giraffelegs October 6, 2011

omg omg omg!!! CONGRATS GIRLFRAN! you are seriously one of my faveee bloggers =) so happy for you!

110 Jennifer P October 6, 2011

I thought I had posted this earlier, but I don’t see it so I’ll try again. There is a pumpkin pie recipe on 101cookbooks that’s almost vegan that you could adapt a bit (the only thing you’d need to substitute for is the eggs). http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/spicekissed-pumpkin-pie-recipe.html I plan on trying the recipe this weekend for our family gathering :)

111 Mara October 6, 2011

Of course you will crack it and come back with THE BEST pumpkin pie recipe in pie-land! I must ask how the crust turned out though? Or is there no honourable mention there. I am looking fwd to incorporating some of your Thanksgiving menu items into our dinner this year. Especially the pumpkin brownie pie! Can that be the main course, heehee! Good luck and congratulations on the nominations, and now off to vote!

112 Bethany October 6, 2011

Hi Angela!

Have you ever heard of the Gluten Free Goddess? I thought of you since I noticed she’s got a pretty tasty looking vegan pumpkin pie at http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2010/11/gluten-free-pumpkin-pie-with-praline.html.

Pumpkin anything is heavenly for me, though I think I’ll skip ever trying to make it with avos. :0) Kudos for your bravery!

Happy Thursday!

Bethany :0)

113 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 7, 2011

Thanks I will check it out!

114 Gena October 6, 2011

Congrats, lady!!!! And god that pie looks fantastic.

115 Lisa (bakebikeblog) October 6, 2011

Big congrats on your VERY DESERVING nominations@!!!

116 Mara October 6, 2011

Hi Angela, I’m looking for the pecan crust recipe for the Pumpkin Brownie Pie as noted in the Thanksgiving Menu pdf file. I can’t seem to find it anywhere. Help! Thank you so much

117 Char October 6, 2011

Definitely making that pie, Thanksgiving or not.

And definitely already voted :)

118 Becki @ Bites 'n Brews October 6, 2011

I thrived on your garlic knots and cranberry sauce last year. This year I’m going for that brownie!

119 Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing October 6, 2011

Hi Angela! Have you tried any of Elana Amsterdam’s recipes? (elanaspantry.com) In her first cookbook, there is an absolutely amazing vegan pumpkin pie recipe — and it’s GF, which obviously I appreciate since I can’t eat gluten ;) It honestly tasted better to me than non-vegan versions. I mention it because maybe that would be a place to get some inspiration? Darn avocados… they seem so perfect for just about everything, and then experiments like this happen. *sigh* Regardless, the Pumpkin Brownie Pie looks like it can cover a multitude of failed experiments ;)

120 Marissa October 6, 2011

hi angela, my family & i loved your pumpkin gingerbread last year. since then, i have become GF. Just wondering if you think almond flour would work in place of the regular flour that the recipe calls for? i/’d love to see any suggestions/modifications you have for this if you feeling like playing with the recipe! thanks!

121 Kari @ bite-sized thoughts October 6, 2011

I guess even avocado fails sometimes :P

Congratulations on the nominations! Very exciting (and well deserved) :)

122 Aja October 6, 2011

Oh my gosh I’ve been looking for a vegan pumpkin pie recipe. You can totally figure it out.

Congrats on the nominations!

123 Rhea October 6, 2011

I love Karina’s GF/V pumpkin pie – it’s technically crust-less, but she uses a bit of buckwheat flour in it, which cooks up with a crust-like texture. That, with some coconut milk whipped “cream” and you almost wouldn’t know you were eating vegan!

The recipe is here:

124 Tracy @ Tracy's Treats October 6, 2011

Congrats on your nominations! That is so wonderful and you truly deserve them!

125 Jaime October 6, 2011

Congrats on the nominations. I will definitely be voting for you! I love your blog:) You are such and inspiration.

126 Emily @ The Divine Carrot October 7, 2011

It happens to the best of us…. hehe! But if you don’t experiment you’ll never discover anything new, right?! :))

127 Amanda October 7, 2011

Congrats on your nominations! Fantastic news!

I didn’t know avocados did that when you cooked them, bummer. I know they brown quickly but bitter and musky??? Ugh. I guess you’ll have to ‘settle’ for the pumpkin pie brownie. Happy Thanksgiving!

128 Stepfanie October 7, 2011

I’m so glad someone else pointed this out–I’ve noticed a beefy taste to cooked avocado. Bleh.

129 jess white October 7, 2011

I can safely say that we’ve all had pie crust failures! just roll with the punches, or shall i say pumpkins!!

130 Sara October 7, 2011

You have my vote! :)

131 Emily Segal October 7, 2011

I voted for you! Your blog is the best of all the rest,

132 Michaela October 7, 2011

Can I please come to your please for a chat and a piece of that pie? It looks divine!!
And congrats on the nomination :)

133 Mac October 7, 2011

Mmm looks good! Congrats on the nomination!

134 Isobelle October 7, 2011

Oh, man! This looks too good to be true. I have been staring at a cupboard full of pumpkin for the past two weeks and have been making excuses not to use it, mainly because I have just been waiting for the right recipe to come along.
Now, bingo! Here it is. Thanks a bunch :)

135 Jeanette October 8, 2011

If you are even still reading this comments (because wow you have alot!) I have a great vegan, soy free one it uses coconut milk. I can dredge up the recipe if you want but the basics are sugar, pumpkin coconut milk and the crust uses palm fruit shortening. Good luck

136 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 8, 2011

That sounds tasty! :)

137 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) October 10, 2011

That pumpkin gingerbread with spiced butter cream is still one of the best tasting foods I have ever had the pleasure of eating. I have made it so many times, and can’t wait to make it again very soon.

138 Kelsey October 11, 2011

I like that you blog about both success and failure ;)

139 Alexandra October 11, 2011

Hey Angela! I make your pumpkin pie brownie cupcakes and they are absolutely amazing. Fun fact: I just finished eating one now and am still savouring the moment… mmmmm. Thank you for all your inspiring & delicious posts! :)

140 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 11, 2011

Glad you enjoyed them Alexandra! :) Wish I had one too… ;)

141 Jenn October 20, 2011

I’ve had luck blending cashews with pumpkin, sweetener, spices and thickener for a delicious, rich, vegan and soy free pumpkin pie.

142 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 20, 2011

That sounds great :)

143 Celena November 3, 2011

I just found your site and OH MY GOODNESS, I’m in love. We have very similar tastes and ideas, methinks, and I’m super excited to start following you in your culinary adventures. That said, I too am on a search to make a delicious vegan pumpkin pie with NO TOFU! Le sigh… I made about 3 or 4 versions last November (to the amusement of my boyfriend). A couple came close, but I’m a perfectionist. I am setting out to try some new things this year and hope for better results. If they don’t turn out, though, or perhaps even if they do, that chocolate pumpkin brownie pie IS happening! As is the pumpkin gingerbread. Thank you! And Congrats on your nominations! :))

144 Jennifer November 25, 2015

Hi
I can’t seem to find your pumpkin brownie pie anywhere. Can you help me get a hold of it?

Thanks!