Red Lentil and Squash Curry Stew

IMG 2628 thumb   Red Lentil and Squash Curry Stew

Leftovers are the best.

A “free”, delicious meal without the work? I’ll take it.

Unless of course you don’t know what to do with the leftovers and they die a slow death in the fridge. One day you walk into the kitchen gasping, “What IS that smell!?” only to open the fridge and find those leftovers, shoved to the back of the fridge to die.

My casserole now needs a hair cut and the black beans have morphed into stink bombs.

It happens to the best of us.

I vowed to use up my roasted squash leftover from my Butternut Mac ‘n Cheeze recipe! Last night, I found a recipe for a Red Lentil Squash Curry on Martha and used that as my inspiration for this stew. With my butternut already roasted this meal came together in about 25 minutes.

Leftovers turned into a new recipe? Even better.

IMG 2617 thumb   Red Lentil and Squash Curry Stew

You start by sautéing a sweet onion and a few cloves of minced garlic. After about 5 minutes or so, add in your curry powder.

IMG 2606 thumb   Red Lentil and Squash Curry Stew

Next comes 1 container of broth. If you are using a low-sodium broth like I did, you will need to add more salt and vice versa.

IMG 2608 thumb   Red Lentil and Squash Curry Stew

In goes 1 cup of red lentils.

IMG 2614 thumb   Red Lentil and Squash Curry Stew

Cook this mixture over medium heat for about 10 minutes until it thickens up.

IMG 2625 thumb   Red Lentil and Squash Curry Stew

Now stir in your cooked butternut and some greens if you’d like. I simply used what was leftover from my Butternut Mac ‘n Cheeze recipe. If you have uncooked butternut to use, check out Martha’s recipe for cooking instructions.

IMG 2627 thumb   Red Lentil and Squash Curry Stew

Cook another 5 minutes and serve!

IMG 2628 thumb1   Red Lentil and Squash Curry Stew

A quick, stick-to-your-bones stew with a kick of heat.

IMG 2637 thumb   Red Lentil and Squash Curry Stew

And that 5-minute cheeze sauce recipe I promised you? It’s still in my test kitchen. There’s a chance it could die there.

GrainFreeGroupie October 5, 2011

this looks awesome! anything with curry and lentils = yum!

kathleen @ the daily crumb October 5, 2011

always looking for fall comfort food recipes and this one fits the bill! i’ve actually never cooked with curry, but what better time than now?!

Ashley October 5, 2011

Lentils and curry are such a great combo!! Too funny about the leftovers…I was just talking to my mom about how we LOVE leftovers. I could eat the same meal for lunch and dinner the very next day and probably again the next, if there is any still left. My dad is weird about leftovers and sometimes Chris is too. Typically Chris likes them, but not more than 2x in a row. MEN!

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes October 5, 2011

This looks so hearty and so good!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 5, 2011

Leftovers are the best, indeed!

I always say, cook once, eat twice. May as well make extras b/c I also say that planned leftovers save sanity. Those times when a kid is crabby, a mom is frazzled (who me? never…haha), or you just dont have time/energy to get a brand new meal started, leftovers save the day.

Your stew looks perfect. And impressive that you made it last night and less than 12 hours later you have edited pics, a recipe typed, and the blog post up. Bravo!

Karina October 5, 2011

I absolutely love your blog! You are an inspiration!
What kind of curry powder you use (or do you consider ‘good quality’)?
I haven’t been able to find a powder curry that I love yet.
Thank you!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) October 5, 2011

how very delicious!!

Sara October 5, 2011

Sometimes I cook things just to have leftovers; they are the best. I have a bunch of lentils sitting around so this is great. I always pair curry with butternut and I would probably put nooch all over this :)

Zestful Lou October 5, 2011

Hey Sara!

I think you put nooch on everything. I think I deserve a thank you for being the one to tell you to buy it in the first place!

Zestful Lou October 5, 2011

It’s raining cats and dogs here and this would cure my weary soul.

Rainy day schedule means being cooped up in the classroom all day with my students. I think we all had a little cabin fever!

stella ~ shiny yoga* October 5, 2011

red lentils? gimme some of that! xoxo

Sydney October 5, 2011

oohhhhh emmm gee! So unfair that I am looking at this while I am at work (and hungry!) It looks AH-MAZING

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 5, 2011

As a rule, I never buy an ingredient unless I can think of multiple ways to use it. I hate letting food go to waste in my fridge!

This recipe looks great! I’m going to add it to my ever-expanding list of recipes I want to make this fall. Your butternut mac and cheeze is on there too. :D

Ingunn October 5, 2011

I saw this recipe and went straight to the store to pick up a butternut squash so I could make it for dinner today – I just had my first taste and it’s awesome. Thanks for the recipe, this one’s a keeper!

Neta October 5, 2011

This was wonderful! But your dishes always come out much more colorful than mine :/

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2011

Sorry I can be a bit heavy handed with Lightroom I think!!

Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy October 5, 2011

I love butter nut squash and red lentils, this sounds amazing!

Nic@diningwithastud October 5, 2011

This looks so delicious! I love pumpkin!

Christina October 5, 2011

Amazing … I just bought butternut squash and was going to make my regular butternut squash soup, but now I’m so torn! SO many great recipes on your website – my husband has even started to ask what’s on your blog each day! He’s loving the variety (although he’s getting tired of roasted tomatoes but I can’t get enough of them!!!) LOL thanks!!

mi-an dela cruz October 5, 2011

i just finished my roasted butternut squash also! half i made a bnut and fennel soup, i added the soup in milled topped with the roasted bnut and some goatcheese and dried cranberries….aaahhmazing!! then i saw your bnut squash cheesy recipe so all i did was added nutrtional yeast in my leftover bnut fennel soup, poured of brown rice pasta, mixed it all in with kale, and baked it for a pasta bake.omgg amaaazing too! :)) i have my last pasta for tomorrow and i can’t wait to make it again. :)

Casey @ Insatiably Healthy October 5, 2011

I. Love. This. Recipe. Can’t wait till it starts to snow so I actually crave these warm wintery foods :)

Jame October 6, 2011

This is awesome with a bit of cayenne and a splash of coconut milk. :)

Kristy H October 6, 2011

Yumm! this looks so good and i have all the ingredients including leftover roast squash. This is going to be my dinner tonight. Thanks!

Kristy H October 6, 2011

OMG! just made this and the house smells incredible, so comforting and tasty.

Miriam @ Sometimes I Veg October 6, 2011

I have gotten to the point where I will simply cook extra veggies because I know I can throw them into a stew or something if we don’t use them all. That stew looks delectable.

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh October 6, 2011

Great recipe for me to use that bag of lentils I bought with no real purpose other than “hey, I should try lentils sometime!” (They were about to be relagated to my candle dish for a Fall filler around my new Fall candles!)

Michaela October 6, 2011

I am seriously going to buy butternut squash today!
That looks soooo good!
And I am so happy about your foodbuzz nomination :)

Katrina October 6, 2011

Love this! It sounds perfect.

Rachael @ FreshlyMinted October 6, 2011

Leftovers made-over are the BEST! We always seem to have them with just two people in the house.

Thanks for the red lentil tip….I bough them for the first time the other day, but when I tried to use them in one of my usual recipes, all I got was mush! I know better, now :)

Beth - Tasty Yummies October 6, 2011

This looks so incredible. I have been so obsessed with all of these things lately. Lentils, squash, curry, greens. Such fall ingredients! This dish is kind of a mashup of 2 dishes I have made this past week – I made lentil soup one night, then loaded the crock pop up with butternut squash curry with spinach and chickpeas a few nights later. I’ll definitely have to try this recipe out, thanks for sharing!

Izzy October 6, 2011

Hi Angela I made the pumpkin butter, it tastes yummy but mine seems much thicker than your picture?? I had to blob mine in with a spoon your picture looks like it actually runs in the jar. Does look more appealing, wonder what i did different???? For a gift yours looks much nicer!! Any thoughts?

michelle October 6, 2011

This looks so good! I love the challenge of changing up left overs.

Alexia @ NamasteYoga October 7, 2011

the stew looks great! i have been living of red lentils here in India. You can make such great stews, soups and curries with them! I’m just missing KALE!!

Amanda - RunToTheFinish October 8, 2011

That looks totally delicious and actually pretty darn easy! I agree leftovers are wonderful, but sometimes it’s fun to remake them when you have a huge batch. This is a great idea

Meg October 10, 2011

I made this this weekend – it was super delicious! I baked the squash earlier in the day as I was puttering around the house so, at dinnertime, this came together very quickly. Instead of kale, I added some frozen spinach.

Diane October 10, 2011

This is wonderful! I made it last night – my first time ever eating curry by the way! Wow! I was amazed an easy recipe (I had left over squash from making the butternut squash mac & cheese) and it is absolutely delicious. I have left overs for lunch today…can’t wait!!!

Artemesia October 15, 2011

This recipe looks great! I have been planning on making a curry this weekend. I will definitely try this recipe. Thanks!

Erin October 17, 2011

I made this tonight and it was absolutely AMAZING! Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 17, 2011

So happy to hear that Erin :) Mine kept for almost a week, I was surprised how long it lasted in the fridge!

Lisle October 19, 2011

I made this tonight with green lentils, rapini, and extra ginger. I’m eating it right now and it’s delicious!! Thanks for another great recipe :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 19, 2011

I’m happy that you liked the stew! Enjoy

Katie October 30, 2011

Yum! Making this now….so far so good! I am also using leftover squash from your original mac n’ cheese recipe. Can’t wait for my herbivore cookbook!

Ruby November 9, 2011

I made this last night! I added mushrooms and extra spinach, and left some of the squash a little chunky. It was delicious, and so easy to make, and all in 1 pot! Thanks for the great recipe :) This one’s a keeper.

Charles J Brent November 24, 2011

From what I can see, I’m the 1st male to post a comment on this page – I’ll consider it an accomplishment!

Great recipe, and website – a real treasure trove of recipes.

Many thanks.

Charles

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 24, 2011

Thanks Charles…it’s nice to see a man around here! ;)

Page 2 of 3«123»