Gluten-Free Almond & Buckwheat Flour Pizza Crust

IMG_2245-2

Hi, it’s me and a gazillion letters of text!

You may have noticed that I’ve been making a lot more gluten-free recipes over the past couple of weeks and I thought I would talk about why I’ve been doing this.

It’s sort of a long story!

Luckily, I’m jacked up on caffeine right now.

I’ve been experiencing some strange health symptoms over the past 4-6 weeks. For example, I’ve had bad stomach bloating to the point where I look 6 months pregnant (I’m not). I’ve always had bloating on and off all my life, but this is much worse than the normal bloating I’ve experienced in the past. I’m also experiencing bad stomach pains in my abdomen area, round-the-clock lower back pain, fatigue, and pressure in my pelvic area, among other things. The pain in my abdomen and lower pelvic area gets much worse after eating and I often feel really full after eating a normal-sized meal. Lately, I’ve been waking up with mild stomach pain too.

Several years ago, I was diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (which I’ve mentioned on the blog a while back) and for most of my life I’ve struggled with stomach pain, headaches, and GI discomfort on and off. My stomach is very sensitive to certain foods like dairy, nuts, soy, and beans. I never really know how it is going to react. Sometimes a handful of raw almonds can set it off with pains, while other times it’s fine. IBS is also strongly associated with our emotions, so it’s not surprising that my anxiety manifests itself through my stomach and digestive system.

Since I’m divulging my life story, another thing I’ve struggled with health-wise is my reproductive system. Specifically, my ovaries.

In 2009, a pelvic and transvaginal ultrasound revealed that I have multiple cysts on my ovaries as well as an enlarged (they called it ‘bulky’) right ovary. In addition to my regular yearly pap test and physical, I also go for a yearly ultrasound to monitor the cysts and make sure that they aren’t getting larger. Keepin’ an eye on things. Basically, I’m on watch for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS).

I had another ultrasound in March 2011 and it revealed that my right ovary decreased in size from 17.7 ml to 10 ml. My left ovary is also smaller in size. Apparently, this is encouraging news, but I’ll be the first to admit that I haven’t really received a proper explanation. I’m thinking about asking for a referral to a specialist soon.

Fast forward to the symptoms I’m experiencing today. They could be the result of a mild or more severe illness, like most symptoms. And trust me when I say that I’ve Googled them all! I think Google has told me I’m going to die of a horrible illness about 654 times during my life, so I’m trying not to self-diagnose or draw any conclusions until I have the proper tests done. It could be something as minor as an ulcer or as major as Ovarian cancer. That’s why I always say it’s important to listen to your body and be your own health advocate if you think something is abnormal for you.

This brings me to tomorrow, my next ultrasound appointment. I pretty much had to beg my doctor for this ultrasound since my last one was only 6 months ago, but I’d rather ruffle a few feathers than to have a health issue go undetected for months. Bring on the 5 large glasses of water and bladder-bursting hour wait time!

The results of my ultrasound will determine my doctor’s next steps. I had blood work done in May which all came back normal, but I will probably have to get my blood checked again.

So, this brings me to the gluten-free recipes.

My doctor suggested that I try eating gluten-free for a while to see if I have any relief in my symptoms. I really do not think it’s gluten causing the issues, but I’m willing to try anything at this point. I’m also going to see a naturopath on Tuesday for a general consultation and food-sensitivity testing the following week. I’ve heard from many people who have had great relief from their digestive issues when seeing a naturopath, so I figure it’s worth trying out.

At this point, I just want to get to the bottom of this as quickly as possible, but in all likelihood, it could take a while to figure out. I will try to post an update or two on the blog as I get more information.

PIZZA makes everything better.

IMG_2241

IMG_2253

This crust turned out much better than I expected. The dough tasted amazing!

IMG_2219

I spread on a couple cloves of leftover roasted garlic before baking.

IMG_2222

After pre-baking, I spread on the mouth-watering pesto.

IMG_2224

Followed by Daiya cheese, chopped roasted tomatoes, and fresh herbs.

IMG_2225

Then I broiled it for 3 minutes over medium heat.

IMG_2233

Crispy, ultra-thin, packed with nutrients, and oh so good.

IMG_2237

This pizza did not last long!

IMG_2245

If you are a thin-crust fan, you will love this pizza.

The crust is one of the most flavourful crusts I have tasted and the toppings went really well with it, but of course you can top it with whatever you see fit.

IMG_2252

p.s.- See my new Fall header image? Hold down Control + F5 to refresh the page if you can’t see it.

p.p.s.-  I have an exciting mushroom challenge & recipe post coming up Monday! If you love pesto, you will go crazy for this recipe.

We’re off for a day of hiking on this gorgeous Fall day…have a good one!

Page 6 of 6« First...«23456
Alyssa April 24, 2017

I’ve been searching for a good vegan pizza crust and I’ve found it! The crust stayed crispy til the end and has a very good flavor. Very fast and easy to make!

Iris May 2, 2015

Hi there!
I’m sorry to hear of your physical ailments. I used to suffer from just about all of the above you mentioned- until I started doing parasite cleansing and taking probiotics. I hope it is nothing too serious! Keep us posted!

For the recipe: I used spelt flour instead of almond flour because almond flour is harder to digest for me. It came out AMAZING. BEST vegan pizza I’ve had so far. Thanks for such a wonderful recipe!

Namaste

ellie February 19, 2015

I have made this twice it is my new go-to pizza base recipe!! SO DELICIOUS

Steph April 3, 2014

Hello Angela…Ive just recently been introduced to your blog and I love your recipes^^
I wanted to share something with you for IBS… I can emphasize with the discomfort pain and bloating. I was also diagnosed with ibs over 7 years ago. But i found a miracle mineral that has helped so much. I take magnesium oxide everyday and it has changed my life. I rarely get bloated and i can eat almost twice as much as i could before.

Lara March 10, 2014

Thanks for this great post! Fantastic use of photography! I love all your HD shots!

Lara March 10, 2014

This looks amazing! Thanks for sharing! Great photography too!

Melissa March 2, 2014

Is the olive oil essential for the crust to work, or is it just for flavour? I tend to be quite determined to avoid oils as much as possible (I’d rather get my fat in avocados, seeds and nuts), but I don’t want my stubbornness to ruin what would be a delicious pizza, hehe.

Simplehiccup September 12, 2013

This is the best pizza dough in all creation. I was trying to replicate the Amy’s frozen roasted veggie pizza and this was *perfect* as the base.

Ellen Smyth July 16, 2013

I’ve experienced similar issues. I’ve had severe allergies to just about everything, which creates a lot of gastrointestinal issues. I’ve also had issues with ovarian cyst: I had a 4.4 pound cyst removed in December when it collapsed on top of my ovary, cutting off circulation to the cyst and the ovary. But I believe I have found the nearest thing to a cure for all of my many issues (these are just two) in the form of a juicing detox. By juice fasting, I have had a tremendous reduction in inflammation, weight, and female issues. I also feel like this is going to heal my intestinal issues, although I do expect that to be a slow process. This video kicked me off, although they don’t really recommend fasting as much as I am doing. But I don’t think many people are in as dire a need of detox as I am, either. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGyf27CocxM

molly December 22, 2012

These are amazing. I loved them! I haven’t had a pizza in ages since I’ve cut back on processed foods, but this pizza base is a hundred times better then any other. You can feel the yummy, healthy goodness with every bite!

Roxanne December 13, 2012

I don’t know why I do a Search for stuff, when I always end up with the tastiest version at your blog post. Love this Crust ( Topped with my favorites) Best and easiest Version I have come across to date. Thanks so much

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 13, 2012

Aw thank you, so glad you enjoyed it!

Kristen August 22, 2012

Made this for lunch. LOVE the crust. Really tasty. I topped the pizza with sundried tomatoes, green peppers and black olives and made a roasted red pepper tomato sauce for the base. I used the jalapeno garlic Daiya cheese, that was the only disappointment. I keep wanting to like Daiya, but it repeatedly disappoints. I’ve tried the cheddar, mozzarella and the jalapeno garlic havarti style wedge which is definitely the best, bust still not that good. Is there a better alternative out there? I think I may go back to just sprinkling nutritional yeast on my pizza again, the Daiya is weird, haha. Have you ever tried using a nut cheeze on your pizzas?

Aslan July 21, 2012
Aslan July 21, 2012

Hiya,
thanks for recipes.
Here is some info re IBS that may interest you.
Ignore his politics/belief in a supernatural being/and pro meat stance – and he is pretty good when it comes to just talking about health.
Best wishes.

Lindsay July 4, 2012

I have seriously struggled with almost all the same issues as you. I saw a chinese herbalist in Chinatown in Chicago and for 8 months. He got rid of all of my issues and I no longer take any herbs, five years later. I eat gluten now all the time and do not experience any symptoms. He has gotten rid of ovarian cysts with the herbs. He is also a doctor and a nutritionist. Not to mention he is a 6th generation herbalist. The site is http://www.liferising.com and his name is Zhengang Guo. I highly recommend him and have sent a lot of friends an family to him with great results. He also has other herbalists all Over the country working with his herbal formulations do if you aren’t near Chicago. Good luck!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 6, 2012

Thank you for the referral!

Hannah June 4, 2012

This looks so yummy! I tried the other pizza recipe on here and it was SO good, can’t wait to try this! Is there any kind of flour to replace the buckwheat and almond meal ? My mum’s allergic to almonds and I can’t seem to find buckwheat anywhere! Thanks, hope you are feeling better! :)

Nicole Rouillon May 29, 2012

Hi There,

I have just recently discovered your blog and love what I see so far! You have had SO many responses that I havent been able to read them all so if I am repeating something you have read many times than im sorry! But I feel you pain I really do! I have suffered from IBS my whole life and always thought that my CONSTANT symptoms (despite a healthy diet) was just the IBS but after extensive testing a a few trips to hospital I found out I have Fructose Malabsorption! I have found that both my IBS and my fructose has effected my liver function and my ovaries/uterus due to constant swelling of my bowels. In fact last week I went to hospital as a large cyst had twisted my ovary and than ruptured! So I have my fingers crossed for you that it is nothing serious and if your doctors cannot give you an answer I suggest having your Fructose tolerance tested!!! It is all connected.. Once I addressed this things finally started to improve!
All the best!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 30, 2012

Thank you Nicole, Im actually going to a new doctor today in hopes to get more answers. Thanks for sharing your story!

Sera October 16, 2011

Hello,

I have been a rather longtime reader of your blog and love making your recipes which have all turned out really delicious.

Anyway, I just wanted to say all the best and hope you get your medical issues sorted soon. I had a giant cell tumour growing in my foot bone for 3 months + in 2006 and it took a lot of x-rays/bone scans/MRI before the orthopaedist finally figured out what was wrong with me and scheduled me for surgery. So I empathize with the waiting and the not knowing. That’s the bit that’s really annoying.. At least if you know something, you can try to do something about it!

debra ford October 15, 2011

I have all of these issues too. I do have celiac, and can’t eat gluten, soy, corn, or dairy. My problems came back after knee surgery in April. I believe I have Leaky Gut Syndrome. Look it up and it describes your symptoms. The world’s leading researcher for celiac, Dr. Fasano, believes it is real, although it is not mainstream yet. I am seeing my GI doc at the end of the month to discuss. It is a great thing you are getting another ultrasound as the symtpoms also mimic ovarian cancer, as you know. Follow your heart and gut to find out what is going on. I am so loving your blog and can’t wait to make many of these fabulous recipes. I love reading and looking at the pictures. Thanks for having it and good luck with your GI issues!

Laura October 7, 2011

Hi Angela, I have also been going gluten free due to bloating, etc. I thought I would do a 30 day experiment to just see how I feel and I do feel better. I didn’t have severe symptoms, but annoyances. One thing I learned is that the standard gluten tests that exist now only test two components of gluten, but there are many more. I have attached a link that has some really good info. There is a paleo-diet influence, but I find this blog to be very informative.
Good luck!
Thanks for all the great recipes – I really enjoy your blog.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 7, 2011

Thanks Laura, I will check this out!

debra ford October 15, 2011

LaURA-thanks for the great link to this fabulous article! very helpful and I think so true. It excourages me to really crack down on sugar and GF grains-thanks again!

Amy September 28, 2011

I also wanted to share this video that I just happened to watch today on Natashas reversal of PCOS.. amazing stuff. What synchronicity! http://youtu.be/vEpbrjksxFU

Erin September 28, 2011

hi there! i’ve dealt with cysts a few times and have had a few rupture, which is pretty bad. i’ve also been dealing with a hateful gallbladder lately and my symptoms sound a lot like yours. an ultrasound did NOT show stones and a more advanced scan showed that my gallbladder only works at 50%. i’m vegetarian and eat vegan most of the time, but i still have the problem — it has nothing to do with fat intake. you may want to have yours tested to see what it’s function level is.

Erica September 28, 2011

Have you considered tracking your fibre intake? You could be getting too much. This was the source of many GI problems for my husband and I and we aren’t even vegetarians. I would imagine when you eat a really healthy, vegan diet it may be quite easy to overdo the fibre. Too much can cause a variety of gastro issues and can inhibit nutrient absorption. Switching from snacking almost exclusively on fruits and veggies to things like almonds, yogurt and cheese has helped me a lot, even though I still eat tons of fruits and veggies, legumes and whole grains at meal times. I know you don’t eat dairy, but maybe you could find other ways to cut back on fibre a wee bit that may help you.

Amy September 28, 2011

Hi Angela,
I’ve been a reader for years but never comment because I’m lazy and time pressed! I love your recipes although I personally haven’t been able to make most of them due to my own food intolerences. I too have had issues with PCOS since the age of 17, all the while experimenting with every diet and cleanse in the book! Fasting is a great way to eliminate anything weird that’s been hanging out in your body, but it is advised to work up to it by eating a super clean diet. A while back I ordered an online ebook from overiancystnomore.com. It was basically a recipe book to prevent cysts from forming in the first place by eating foods that don’t interfere with hormones. Since I’ve also been diagnosed with polycystic kidney disease I thought it would be an ideal way to eat for both issues. It’s a mostly raw and gluten free diet that includes little bits of fish and poultry. ALSO, paleo diets can be great for these issues, but I think a lot of people over emphasize the need for meat. The true wonder is the elimination of grains so filling up on veggies and fruit is the most important tenet of the diet. I know you’re vegan so you might find more relief in a diet such as that of kimberlysnyder.net, or Natalia Rose. Both are well known raw foodists who are also vegan, but know how to do it right so they don’t cause a lot of the health issues people bring on themselves by over consuming nuts and fats. They also promote eating a little cooked veggies. I find them both to be the most influential health gurus out there because they walk their talk and the results show! Another more extreme vegan diet is 80/10/10 which is basically 80% fruit 10% greens, and 10% fats. A lot of people find it to be the most miraculous diet out there while others (like myself) find following it 100% to be a challenge (with benefits!). I hope some of these resources help!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2011

Thank you Amy! I will check out those sources :)

kkmoose September 27, 2011

you should look into macrobiotics– life changing!

(i had very similar issues a few years ago, and macrobiotics seriously turned my health and my life around)