Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

IMG 2210 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

It’s the first day of Fall and I know exactly what you need.

A Snuggie, so you and your family can snug on the couch watching all your new favourite Fall shows.

snuggie family thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

That poor dog.

Why do I get the feeling that you are all sitting at your computer right now with one on?

Don’t worry, it’s our little secret.

snuggie man thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

Just please don’t tell me you’re naked under that thing.

You might also need a new O.P.I. nail polish.

O.P.I. William Tell Them About OPI thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

Perhaps, a Pumpkin Pie Smoothie.

20100926IMG 3430 thumb thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

and Soup.

Definitely soup.

IMG 2196 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

Before this roasted tomato soup happened, soup and I were not on speaking terms.

A couple week’s ago, I made a coconut milk, sweet potato, and cinnamon soup and I just couldn’t get the flavour exactly how I wanted it. It was yuk. And I made myself finish it. Now I don’t want to look at another sweet potato again.

IMG 1496 2 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

As I thought about what went wrong with the sweet potato soup, I realized it needed a kick of heat. The ingredients were all sweet (cinnamon, nutmeg, sweet potato, coconut milk, etc) and the flavour lacked depth and contrast. I think the soup would have been wonderful with a kick of Indian spices so I will have to try that next time.

Instead of making another sweet potato soup, I decided to take this lesson and apply it to a roasted tomato and garlic soup. It’s really, really hard to go wrong with roasted tomatoes, as I discovered with the Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto, so I was pretty confident it would be successful.

I grabbed 5 pounds of beautiful roma tomatoes.

IMG 2151 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

I made extra so I could make another batch of pesto with the leftovers! I encourage you to do the same because I have a delicious pizza recipe coming up using the pesto.

I prepped the tomatoes, sweet onion, and garlic for roasting.

IMG 2154 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup IMG 2175 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup IMG 2174 thumb1   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

And everything got roasted at once!

IMG 2182 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

The oven was on for about 1 hour and 25 minutes total at 375-400F, with the tomatoes taking the longest and the onions taking the least amount of time.

IMG 2180 thumb1   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup IMG 2177 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

I added some of the roasted vegetables (along with 2 tbsp of roasted garlic), vegetable broth, a can of light coconut milk, S & P, and garam masala (<—the heat!)

IMG 2184 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup IMG 2190 thumb1   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

I knew that this soup was going to be a game changer because the broth was mind blowing.

I blended it (only 3 seconds!) to leave it chunky. You can also use an immersion blender if you have one.

IMG 2194 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

There is so much depth of flavour in this soup it made my head spin! It didn’t need any second trials, no second guessing…it just worked.

IMG 2205 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

Print this recipe!

This tomato soup is anything but traditional, boring, or bland and it’s definitely one of the best homemade soups I have made to date. The light coconut milk is a great way to add a luxurious creaminess, pairing well with the heat from the garam masala and adding a nice contrast to the rustic quality of the roasted vegetables. I will make this again and again!

Yield: 6 cups

Roasting vegetables:

• 5 pounds of roma tomatoes, washed & sliced in half
  • 1 large sweet onion, peeled & sliced
  • 2-3 large garlic bulbs, prepared for roasting
  • extra virgin olive oil, kosher salt, & pepper, for vegetables

Soup:

• 3 cups roasted tomatoes
  • 2 tbsp roasted garlic flesh
  • all of the roasted sweet onion
  • 1 can light coconut milk (reserve 2-3 tbsp for garnish)
  • 3 cups vegetable broth (I used low-sodium)
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste
  • 2 tsp garam masala (add slowly, to taste)
  • 1 tsp salt or to taste (you may have to reduce amt. if you used full-sodium broth)
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • for garnish: garlic croutons, coconut milk, pesto, herbs, garam masala, pepper, etc.

1. Preheat oven to 400F and line 2 baking sheets with tin foil (note that parchment paper will burn). Grab a small casserole dish to place the garlic in. For how to prepare the garlic, see this tutorial. Lightly drizzle on EVOO onto onions and season onions and tomatoes with S & P. Roast for about 30 minutes and then check on the vegetables. You might have to remove the onions early as they cook the quickest. When the onions are golden and lightly blackened on the edge, you can remove them. Continue roasting the garlic for about 60 minutes or so (check it after 4 5mins), and the tomatoes for about 1 hour and 20 mins. Your oven times will vary though, so keep an eye on them!

2. Add 3 cups roasted tomatoes, 2 tbsp roasted garlic flesh, and all the onion into a large pot. Add coconut milk, tomato paste, and broth and stir well.

3. Stir in the seasonings and spices to taste. Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 5-10 minutes.

4. Carefully transfer into a blender, processor, or use an immersion blender. Pulse for just a few seconds until chunky. You can also make it smooth, but I liked the texture. Serve immediately and garnish with reserved coconut milk, a sprinkle of garam masala, croutons/bread, and fresh black pepper.

IMG 2210 2 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

If you think that forgoing animal products means that you will never get to have a cream-based soup…think again! This soup was rich & creamy thanks to the coconut milk, but not weighed-down or heavy in any way.

It is super filling, but light at the same time.

How is that even possible?

I told you, your head will spin.

IMG 2213 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

You can use the leftover roasted tomato and garlic to make the Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto for a pizza recipe I have coming up…it’s made with a crispy buckwheat and almond meal flatbread crust. Coming up!

IMG 2245 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

Oh and my new Fall-themed header is coming at ya, today or tomorrow.

Have a great start to your weekend!

Dana October 10, 2012

I made this soup last night and absolutely loved it! I had leftover lentils and quinoa so I added a few spoonfuls to the soup and it just took it to whole new stratosphere! Definitely making this again. And again.

Laura October 11, 2012

One of the best soups I have ever eaten, and SO EASY to make!! I am slowly transitioning to a vegan diet, and the depth of flavor and creaminess in this soup was just to die for. Even my meat-n’-dairy-lovin’ husband gobbled it up! Thanks for your wonderful blog, and for sharing your fresh, delicious, accessible recipes.

ellen October 18, 2012

Making it for the second time today – absolutely delish! Has become a new fav in our house especially with the bushels of roma tomatoes from our harvest. Thanks so much!

Stacey October 21, 2012

Holy cow, just made this soup, and it is absolutely amazing!! Thankyou for providing so many delish recipes on your blog!

Sue October 30, 2012

I made this last night and all I can say is wow! Easy to make and so so beautiful! I am going to be making this again and again.

Kelly November 8, 2012

WOW….
I just made this for dinner tonight…
This was amazing!!!
A cold rainy evening in the California mountains with a fire and
this delicious soup made for a perfect evening…
Highly recommend anyone making this soup.
I had some pumpkin seeds I had not yet roasted from Halloween so
I roasted them and sprinkled them on top! Perfect addition… :)
Thanks so much Angela…love, love, love your recipes!

Tracy November 11, 2012

FYI, made this soup and it’s true, it is DELICIOUS. There also isn’t a coconut flavour (which I was worried might not be ideal…).

Sierra November 19, 2012

lol. I just made this and it turned into chicken tika masala (which I’ve wanted to learn how to make forever). It tastes fabulous! Thanks for the recipe :)

Michelle November 23, 2012

Hi Angela, thank you for sharing this recipe. It looks amazing. I am making it for a dinner party tomorrow evening. Do you think it’s ok to make it the day before?

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 25, 2012

Yes I do. I hope it went well!

Michelle December 3, 2012

This soup was the highlight of the dinner party – thank you! I will definitely make it again.

Carole - FlowerTowne December 1, 2012

My husband and I made this soup together, at our cottage, in Sudbury Ontario. We roasted the vegetables in our fire burning cookstove. Hallelujah! All I can say is that I believe you have truly found your calling. You are truly an inspiration Angela. By the way, we also made desert…Chilled Double Chocolate Torte!
It’s a good feeling when you know exactly what you are supposed to do in your life. I know I do. You can see my work here – http://www.facebook.com/flowertownesudbury
God Bless!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 2, 2012

You work is so beautiful Carole. Thanks for sharing! I’m so happy you enjoyed the recipes.

Carole - FlowerTowne December 2, 2012

Thank you Angela, and yes, your recipes are fabulous! Bon Appetite!

Lauren February 9, 2013

I just made this today. So good! I couldn’t figure out what was better: the smell in the house or the actual soup. Perfect with bread for dipping. Thanks for the great recipe!

Heidi February 12, 2013

I just made this since our winter is wrapping up down here in Louisiana and I am so sad I haven’t been making this all winter! It is delicious! It’s my new favorite! My other is the Holiday Soup with the red quinoa. I think it’s the spices that make these soups so special! The depth of flavor in both is wonderful! Thank you!!

Kelly March 7, 2013

Absolutely delish! And everyone at work says it smells great… only problem… I wasn’t paying attention and did two TBS of the Garam Masala… oops! :)

Crissy March 10, 2013

Amazing! I just made this and the pesto today and they are both BRILLIANT! I am very much enjoying them both for dinner at this moment. Thank you for the awesome recipe! I will definitely be making this again :-D

Lacey March 31, 2013

I just made this for dinner (it’s Autumn in the southern hemisphere). It was delicious – thanks so much!

Jessica March 31, 2013

Tried this soup for easter dinner appy and it was so amazing! The awesomeness started when i was roasting the tom, garlic and onion in the oven and it smelt devine but the best part was eating it. So amazing. Thank you for sharing the great recipe.

*Also made the veg shepards pie and chik choc cupcakes. was a hit. Thanks :)

ashlee May 16, 2013

Wow! So yummy! I added some fresh Thai basil to this and it turned out really well! Your blog is amazing Angela! Every recipe I’ve tried has turned out perfectly so far…love it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 17, 2013

So glad to hear that Ashlee! Thanks for letting me know :)

Ashly May 26, 2013

Hi,
I was just wondering if I have to use roma tomatoes, could I use the field ones instead? thanks recipe looks delicious and so does the pesto.

Rhoda May 30, 2013

I made this for supper last night and everyone in the house came floating into the kitchen on the heavenly smells of roasting tomatoes, garlic and onions. Sooo delicious and easy to make. Another hit Angela! Thanks for such great recipes!

Violine June 5, 2013

Thank you so much for this delicious recipe ! I was searching how to do an original tomato soup and that is a jackpot ! And I also tried your chilled double chocolate torte for a friend’s dinner : no one would have guessed it was vegan and there was nothing left ! Thanks a lot and I love your blog !

Kristi Dodson-Skinkis July 3, 2013

What kind of coconut milk do you use, the canned or the kind in the cooler section? I am excited to try this recipe! I have a ton of tomato plants, all colors! I want to try this recipe with white tomatoes. It is still early in summer. I hate to see the summer go, especially in the far north. This is one thing I have to look forward to. Also do you know if you are able to can this recipe?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 3, 2013

I use the canned coconut milk (non-refrigerated) :) enjoy!

Kristin July 7, 2013

We made this last night and it is unbelievable! It really does make your head explode!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 9, 2013

haha I love that visual! ;) glad u enjoyed it Kristin!

Kalina July 16, 2013

Angela, I have been reading your posts for well over a year now but have never felt the need to comment. I made this recipe for my mom and me for lunch today and it was amazing. We fell in love! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 16, 2013

Hey Kalina, Oh thank you for your lovely comment! So happy you enjoyed it. We must be on the same wavelength because I made this soup today also!

Kalina July 16, 2013

What a coincidence! I’m in Florida and a tropical storm is moving through so we’ve had rain all week. :/ Fortunately, the weather was perfect for soup, so thank you again for the lovely recipe. :)

Brad Brickley July 27, 2013

We’ve been making the change to vegitarian and came across your site while surfing for recipes. I saw this soup and thought it looked good, so I bookmarked it.
I just made it today and its delicious! Full bodied and tasty! The trick for me on making the change to a vegitarian diet is finding recipes that are tasty and leave you satisfied. I can’t just eat salads all the time, I’d fall off the wagon that way. My wife has done a great job of finding meals that satisfy and now I’ve found one here. Thanks!
P.S. I’ll be making the pesto meal with my extra tomatoes I roasted, I’m sure it’ll be good too!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 29, 2013

Hey Brad, So glad you enjoyed the soup! Thanks for your comment…hope u enjoy many more to come :)

Debbie August 21, 2013

Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup–Delicious! I did not have the garam masala on hand, but it was still excellent without it. I would recommend this soup to anyone, vegan or otherwise. I’m a relatively new vegan, who has been looking for some meals that don’t leave me feeling deprived. I believe this site has ended my search. THANKS!!

Lindsay August 22, 2013

How has it taken me so long to make this!? DELICIOUS.

Maria August 25, 2013

Oh, my… it has been too long..! This is such a delicious recipe, I keep stuffing it in my face (luckily I thought of pouring a portion in a container for later use). Taste is very personal, but I’d like to share a way of prepping the onion to make digestion easier – I know a lot of people suffering from bloating and gas after a meal with onions – and that is… puff your onion! Just shove it whole in the oven, 45 min on 180C/350F, let cool and there you have it :) let cool and peel, ah…

Thanks for sharing Ange! The broth is definitely mindblowing..!

Ady Mascari September 15, 2013

We made this today. This soup is perfect – my husband says it’s totally restaurant-worthy. I’m a two month old baby vegan and your website has helped me so much! This is not nearly as overwhelming as I thought it would be, but a great deal of that is because of blogs like yours. Thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 16, 2013

Hey Ady, I’m so happy you are enjoying the recipes! Best wishes :)

sandra October 6, 2013

Hello, this soup sounded so scrumptious that I had to make it immediately. Unfortunately it was not as great as I imagined it to be. I added only 1 1/2 tsp of garam masala and it was super spicy(a little too much for my taste). did I do something wrong? 3 cups of roasted tomatoes, 2 TBS of roasted garlic, 2 tbs of tomato paste, 15 ounce can of coconut milk, salt and pepper and 3 cups of veggie broth.

Julie Mokhtar October 15, 2013

Hi Angela!

This was THE perfect soup recipe to christen my spankin’ new hand blender! It turned out absolutely amazing and am now contemplating making my second batch already. Thanks so much for this genius creation, and also for introducing me to the wonders of roasted garlic! I’ve posted about my attempt at making the soup on my blog, hope that’s okay! Here’s the link for your reference: http://iammadetomove.blogspot.com/2013/10/attempting-oh-she-glows-creamy-roasted.html

Cheers!
Julie

Ryane October 16, 2013

Made this soup last night….it is SOOOOOO yummy! Big hit with the hubby.

Jennifer October 17, 2013

This looks so yummy. In order to get some protein, have you ever tried to add cooked red lentils to this soup after blending? We made your Red Lentil, Tomato and Kale soup a few nights ago. It put me in my happy place and my carnivorous husband consumed two bowls! :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 18, 2013

Hey Jennifer, I haven’t added red lentils to this soup, but I’m sure it would be a nice way to boost protein. :)

Brittany October 31, 2013

Thank you for this amazing recipe–I have it bookmarked on my phone, and it’s my go-to soup recipe! I’m making it for my company’s soup cookoff next week, and my husband is demanding that I make a second batch for him as well :)

Hilary November 10, 2013

I just made this and OMG it is awesome!!!!!! I would love to see a post on your top 10 or top 5 favourite soups of all time … either your own recipes or others too!!

Laura November 23, 2013

Great soup. Loved this!

Chelsea November 24, 2013

My tomatoes are roasting as we speak! Can’t wait! Your pics are always such a great help, thank you! Ill let you know how the soup comes out!

Patti December 12, 2013

This is excellent! I have made it numerous times for different people and everyone loves it. It doesn’t taste like coconut, but the milk is the perfect foil for the tomatoes.
it is SO rich, and oh! It makes an excellent tortilla soup too!

Dev December 15, 2013

Hi Angela,

I’m an avid reader of your blog, but this recipe was just too too spicy for my tastebuds. I put in the required two teaspoons of garam masala, but it tasted like 2 TABLESPOONS!! I suggest that anyone trying this recipe (which I loved, except for the spice) should reduce the garam masala or add more coconut milk. Don’t let your tastebuds get burned the way mine did!

Thanks,
Dev

P.S. This was great with brown rice!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 16, 2013

Hi Deb, Thanks for your feedback! I’ll make a note in the recipe to add to taste :) I’m sure different brands of garam can differ in intensity.

April January 12, 2014

Hi, first time here. Made the awesome tomato, garlic, onion, coconut soup. It was amazing. I am going to make it again this week. Thank you

Gail February 9, 2014

Just made this soup. I’m not vegan but this soup could induce me to be! So very easy and tasty…and I don’t even like tomato soup as a rule. The coconut milk made it super. I used Mae Ploy which is a 19 oz. can. Not wishing to waste a cup of vegetable broth I added the entire 1 qt. box to the soup and then threw in another tablespoon of tomato paste. The soup was thick and rich. First time I have used garam masala but I used the full two teaspoons and it is fabulous. I think this recipe could easily be adapted to a basil flavored soup also. Going to try the pesto next – I used the entire 5 lbs of tomatoes in the soup so will just have to roast more. Thanks for the great recipe, can’t wait to share with friends.

Page 5 of 6« First...«23456»