Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

IMG 2210 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

It’s the first day of Fall and I know exactly what you need.

A Snuggie, so you and your family can snug on the couch watching all your new favourite Fall shows.

snuggie family thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

That poor dog.

Why do I get the feeling that you are all sitting at your computer right now with one on?

Don’t worry, it’s our little secret.

snuggie man thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

Just please don’t tell me you’re naked under that thing.

You might also need a new O.P.I. nail polish.

O.P.I. William Tell Them About OPI thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

Perhaps, a Pumpkin Pie Smoothie.

20100926IMG 3430 thumb thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

and Soup.

Definitely soup.

IMG 2196 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

Before this roasted tomato soup happened, soup and I were not on speaking terms.

A couple week’s ago, I made a coconut milk, sweet potato, and cinnamon soup and I just couldn’t get the flavour exactly how I wanted it. It was yuk. And I made myself finish it. Now I don’t want to look at another sweet potato again.

IMG 1496 2 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

As I thought about what went wrong with the sweet potato soup, I realized it needed a kick of heat. The ingredients were all sweet (cinnamon, nutmeg, sweet potato, coconut milk, etc) and the flavour lacked depth and contrast. I think the soup would have been wonderful with a kick of Indian spices so I will have to try that next time.

Instead of making another sweet potato soup, I decided to take this lesson and apply it to a roasted tomato and garlic soup. It’s really, really hard to go wrong with roasted tomatoes, as I discovered with the Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto, so I was pretty confident it would be successful.

I grabbed 5 pounds of beautiful roma tomatoes.

IMG 2151 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

I made extra so I could make another batch of pesto with the leftovers! I encourage you to do the same because I have a delicious pizza recipe coming up using the pesto.

I prepped the tomatoes, sweet onion, and garlic for roasting.

IMG 2154 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup IMG 2175 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup IMG 2174 thumb1   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

And everything got roasted at once!

IMG 2182 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

The oven was on for about 1 hour and 25 minutes total at 375-400F, with the tomatoes taking the longest and the onions taking the least amount of time.

IMG 2180 thumb1   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup IMG 2177 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

I added some of the roasted vegetables (along with 2 tbsp of roasted garlic), vegetable broth, a can of light coconut milk, S & P, and garam masala (<—the heat!)

IMG 2184 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup IMG 2190 thumb1   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

I knew that this soup was going to be a game changer because the broth was mind blowing.

I blended it (only 3 seconds!) to leave it chunky. You can also use an immersion blender if you have one.

IMG 2194 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

There is so much depth of flavour in this soup it made my head spin! It didn’t need any second trials, no second guessing…it just worked.

IMG 2205 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

Print this recipe!

This tomato soup is anything but traditional, boring, or bland and it’s definitely one of the best homemade soups I have made to date. The light coconut milk is a great way to add a luxurious creaminess, pairing well with the heat from the garam masala and adding a nice contrast to the rustic quality of the roasted vegetables. I will make this again and again!

Yield: 6 cups

Roasting vegetables:

• 5 pounds of roma tomatoes, washed & sliced in half
  • 1 large sweet onion, peeled & sliced
  • 2-3 large garlic bulbs, prepared for roasting
  • extra virgin olive oil, kosher salt, & pepper, for vegetables

Soup:

• 3 cups roasted tomatoes
  • 2 tbsp roasted garlic flesh
  • all of the roasted sweet onion
  • 1 can light coconut milk (reserve 2-3 tbsp for garnish)
  • 3 cups vegetable broth (I used low-sodium)
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste
  • 2 tsp garam masala (add slowly, to taste)
  • 1 tsp salt or to taste (you may have to reduce amt. if you used full-sodium broth)
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • for garnish: garlic croutons, coconut milk, pesto, herbs, garam masala, pepper, etc.

1. Preheat oven to 400F and line 2 baking sheets with tin foil (note that parchment paper will burn). Grab a small casserole dish to place the garlic in. For how to prepare the garlic, see this tutorial. Lightly drizzle on EVOO onto onions and season onions and tomatoes with S & P. Roast for about 30 minutes and then check on the vegetables. You might have to remove the onions early as they cook the quickest. When the onions are golden and lightly blackened on the edge, you can remove them. Continue roasting the garlic for about 60 minutes or so (check it after 4 5mins), and the tomatoes for about 1 hour and 20 mins. Your oven times will vary though, so keep an eye on them!

2. Add 3 cups roasted tomatoes, 2 tbsp roasted garlic flesh, and all the onion into a large pot. Add coconut milk, tomato paste, and broth and stir well.

3. Stir in the seasonings and spices to taste. Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 5-10 minutes.

4. Carefully transfer into a blender, processor, or use an immersion blender. Pulse for just a few seconds until chunky. You can also make it smooth, but I liked the texture. Serve immediately and garnish with reserved coconut milk, a sprinkle of garam masala, croutons/bread, and fresh black pepper.

IMG 2210 2 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

If you think that forgoing animal products means that you will never get to have a cream-based soup…think again! This soup was rich & creamy thanks to the coconut milk, but not weighed-down or heavy in any way.

It is super filling, but light at the same time.

How is that even possible?

I told you, your head will spin.

IMG 2213 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

You can use the leftover roasted tomato and garlic to make the Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto for a pizza recipe I have coming up…it’s made with a crispy buckwheat and almond meal flatbread crust. Coming up!

IMG 2245 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

Oh and my new Fall-themed header is coming at ya, today or tomorrow.

Have a great start to your weekend!

LizAshlee September 25, 2011

What a delicious and hearty soup!! YUM!

Jenn V. September 25, 2011

Angela, I’m right there with you on the awesomeness that is fall! This soup looks delicious and I can’t wait to make it. By any chance have you found or do you have your own really good cream of vegetable soup recipe? I’ve looked online and in my cookbooks but haven’t found anything that screamed to me. Thought I’d ask. Thanks!

Jayne September 25, 2011

Not only did I make this delicious soup but I’d like to paint my nails with this color! Do you know the name Angela?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 25, 2011

Hey! I think the link that I embedded says the name of the OPI colour (something with William in the name if I remember correctly!)

Ali September 25, 2011

Delicious soup! Just what I needed to start fall off right!!

Verena September 25, 2011

I made this soup last night and it was delicious! However, might I add that not every blender can blend the soup. We have a high power blender of really good quality but when I turned it on it basically exploded out the top and I burned my hands! So just a little warning :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 25, 2011

yikes! Sorry that happened to you. I will add into the directions to blend it in batches.

Hola October 22, 2011

Stupid ass. Common sense should have kicked in right before you pressed that button to blend everything, but it seems you might be lacking it. Then stupidity obviously takes over when the thought of blaming the accident on your blender and not on yourself when you clearly should have placed the appropriate lid on it. Then stating your misfortune to everyone only supports why your new nickname is stupid ass.

Catie September 25, 2011

I just made this soup and it was awesome! You’re right, the flavors really mix well together. Thanks for another great recipe!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers September 25, 2011

The soup looks delish! I am going to book mark this and make it this weeks!!!

Nic@diningwithastud September 25, 2011

Love the addition of coconut milk. This soup would also make a good cold soup. Perfect for an Oz Spring :)

Mackenzie @ Eat. Exercise. Evolve September 25, 2011

I just made this tonight! So delicious! I’ve recently gone gluten-free too, so I made some socca (chickpea flour bread) to go with it. I highly recommend socca if you are trying out gluten-free. This is how I made it:

1 cup chickpea flour
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (280ml) water
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided

Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes in an oiled bread pan or a 10 or 12 inch pizza pan. There are tons of sources out there for baking/broiling/pan frying socca, so I suggest you check them out! It can be made savory or sweet.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 2, 2011

That sounds really good! I haven’t tried Socca yet.

Dalai Lina September 25, 2011

Question: You say roast 5 lbs of tomatoes and then say use 3 cups of roasted tomatoes – do you have a lot left over or are you using all of the roasted tomatoes?

Dalai Lina September 27, 2011

BTW, I made it today, and I did end up using all the tomatoes…and it was totally delicious!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 2, 2011

Yes there were leftovers (I put that into the directions and said that I used leftovers for my pesto) =) Glad it worked out for you!!

Jen {The Wholehearted Life} September 26, 2011

The soup looks and sounds amazing and I don’t even (usually) like tomato soups! I can’t wait to surprise my husband with this :).

anne September 26, 2011

I made the soup and it was super yummy! thanks :)

Whitney September 26, 2011

Ooooo, this looks FABULOUS! Do you think it would work well “pumped up” with a whole grain of some kind?

Do you think rice, orzo, lentils… or what? might be best for a more complete “meal in one”?

I can’t wait to try this! YUM! Thanks as always, Angela!

Tonya September 26, 2011

I made a smaller batch of this Saturday and I’m eating the leftovers for lunch today. Delicous. The fragrance of roasted vegetables filled the whole house. I used the leftover roasted garlic in a lentil burger recipe. So YUM!

Krista September 27, 2011

This soup was so wonderfully amazing, and exactly what I needed to soothe my soul after a stressful last few days. I am fairly new to OSG, but have been going crazy making so many of you delicious recipes these last few weeks. You are truly a master of your craft. Thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 27, 2011

yay, glad you enjoyed it! Hope your week calms down. Thanks for your kind words about the blog!

Kinsey September 27, 2011

Just got finished making :) AMAMZING! I cannot decide if the taste or the smell of my house is better?! Btw I roasted extra garlic and made a garlic sauce to top my kelp noodles for dinner tonight= SOO decious, thanks.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) September 27, 2011

Thank God you posted this recipe!! I have an obscene amount of tomatoes to use after growing a whole bunch of them this summer. This is the perfect recipe to use them up, especially since soup is my ultimate comfort food.

Cindy Robinson September 28, 2011

I finally made this last night after burning my first batch of garlic, then shattering my casserole dish by setting it on the pan that had the tomatoes on it. Ever get the feeling that you just weren’t supposed to make a dish somedays? But I kept on, and roasted some more tomatoes & garlic and made the final product last night! Sooo good! We also made your croutons to put on top, my 3 year old helped (in between bites of the chunked bread). This was our first time branching out with spices (garam masala) and I loved it and husband liked it. Will definitely make again!

Maya September 28, 2011

Oh my gosh I love all these ingredients :) It looks delicious. If it ever cools down in TX (almost October and still getting past 100…) I am definitely making this.

Also, I’m sure you already have a recipe for this somewhere- but I made a vegan spicy queso yesterday and I think you’d like it. It’s posted on my blog if you have any interest, no worries if you don’t!

Wendy September 28, 2011

I made it, and it was delicious!
It’s taken the no. 1 slot in My Favorite Soups (and your Carrot Apple Ginger goes to no. 2 now).
The only bummer for me is that it didn’t make a whole lot; those tomatoes really turn into nuthin once you blend them. Next time I’ll add even more tomatoes, roast them even more, and add even more coconut milk (incidentally, I wasn’t clear, from the recipe, how much to use, where I live there are only bottles of coconut milk, not cans).

I can’t wait to make this again!

Wendy October 3, 2011

I made it a second time, with more tomatoes and more coconut milk, and it was even better. YUMMMMMMM. Best soup evar.

Ruth September 29, 2011

This is the stuff. The. Stuff. I had to put it in the freezer or I would have eaten the whole pot.

Tessa September 29, 2011

I feel like the Augustus Gloop of tomato soup. Yummm

Jessica October 1, 2011

I put some swiss chard in a blender with some fresh basil and through it in the soup for an extra nutritional punch. So delicious. I am very impressed with this recipe. Thanks so much for such a great whole foods plant based blog!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 2, 2011

Thats a great idea!

Jessica October 1, 2011

Ha. *Threw it into the soup. Sorry for the typo.

Nina October 1, 2011

My first thought after trying the broth for this soup was Holy Crap! Hands down one of the beat soups I’ve ever made! It has gained a permanent spot in my recipe rotation. Thanks Angela!

CHELSEA October 2, 2011

We jjust made this soup and are in awe of how fantastic it is! New to your website and you’re batting 1 for 1. This would be a great gift to someone if you fill a mason jar full of prepared soup along with a pkg of homemade tika marsala and a copy of the recipie. LOVE IT!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 2, 2011

Hey Chelsea, That’s great you enjoyed the soup! :) I also laughed reading “1 for 1″ ;)

Marianne October 8, 2011

It’s weird – I’m not a tomato person. I don’t like them in my salads or sandwiches; on pasta or pizza. But I do like a good tomato soup. I’ve never made one from scratch, but I love the idea of roasting the tomatoes for the soup – I can only imagine the depth of flavour that would bring. Definitely saving this recipe…too bad tomato season is basically over :(

Rose Chilibeck October 25, 2011

I just made this amazing soup and it is seriously the most delicious soup I have ever made!! I was going to freeze some but can’t stop eating it! I will be making it again and again!! Thank you for this recipe and I will be making your other creations as well!! :)

melissa November 9, 2011

I must say when I saw this recipe I was thinking first of all what on earth is Garam Masala and how are tomatoes with coconut milk going taste good together? I’ve made a few other things from your site such as the roasted tomato basil pesto-which i freaking love and overnight oats, so I held you in high regards. Without any disappointment I gobbled this down like I hadn’t eaten anything in days, truly a unique flavor combo and I love it! So thank you for 1. cooking healthy things that actually taste good and 2. for introducing me to new things I’ve never heard of before :)
(nutritional yeast has become my newest staple)
Cheers,
~Melissa

Jacquie November 20, 2011

Angela,Angela,Angela!
This soup/bisque is TO DIE FOR! Your recipes are superb,delicious and healthy all in one!
I am having so much fun perusing this blog for interesting things to make without the guilt of eating them! Keep ‘em coming! Talent at it’s best!!

Faye May 22, 2012

keep forgetting to post on how amazing this recipe is! So simple and so easy! I’m not a tomato fan and I could actually eat this with the depth of flavor this soup contains. Plenty left over for freezer. I don’t care it’s getting warmer. Going to make this again in the next few days. SO good!

Kathie Harnest August 25, 2012

I have to tell you that I thought that this soup sounded so good that I doubled the recipe. It was beyond good….it was AMAZING! Best soup I have ever tasted! Today I heated the leftovers that I had and added red & yellow peppers and some spinach and served it over whole wheat pasta. To die for!!! Definitely a keeper! Thank you!

Liz September 1, 2012

I make this soup all the time. Love it!

Bec September 2, 2012

Made a big batch of this today and canned it. Now I have some ready and waiting when I don’t feel like cooking this winter.

susan September 12, 2012

Can this soup be canned in a hot water bath?

Ryoung September 12, 2012

Very good but in my opinion WAY WAY WAY too much garam masala. I only used 1/2 the amount and it’s still all I can taste. I had to roast more tomatoes to cut down the flavor of the garam masala and yet I still think it’s too much. I’ll have to see what my husband thinks when he gets home.

lahealthyliving September 19, 2012

Looks Amazing! For sure making it this week especially since it includes coconut milk!!!!

Sam September 20, 2012

Oh I made this soup today for a party at work and it was such a hit! I was a little leary of the coconut milk with tomatoes but I went with it and I am so glad I did! Only problem was there wasn’t enough because everyone wanted seconds :) This is one I will do regularly because it just rocks.

erika September 25, 2012

I just made this! I actually didn’t roast the vegetables – my cat has been hiding under the oven, so I’m afraid to use it in case he runs under there – but I just sauteed the tomatoes, garlic, and onions on the stovetop and then made the soup as directed and it turned out amazing! I love it!

Nathalie September 26, 2012

Eating it right now… AMAZING! One of the best soup in my life!!

Page 4 of 6« First...«23456»