Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

IMG 2210 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

It’s the first day of Fall and I know exactly what you need.

A Snuggie, so you and your family can snug on the couch watching all your new favourite Fall shows.

snuggie family thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

That poor dog.

Why do I get the feeling that you are all sitting at your computer right now with one on?

Don’t worry, it’s our little secret.

snuggie man thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

Just please don’t tell me you’re naked under that thing.

You might also need a new O.P.I. nail polish.

O.P.I. William Tell Them About OPI thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

Perhaps, a Pumpkin Pie Smoothie.

20100926IMG 3430 thumb thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

and Soup.

Definitely soup.

IMG 2196 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

Before this roasted tomato soup happened, soup and I were not on speaking terms.

A couple week’s ago, I made a coconut milk, sweet potato, and cinnamon soup and I just couldn’t get the flavour exactly how I wanted it. It was yuk. And I made myself finish it. Now I don’t want to look at another sweet potato again.

IMG 1496 2 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

As I thought about what went wrong with the sweet potato soup, I realized it needed a kick of heat. The ingredients were all sweet (cinnamon, nutmeg, sweet potato, coconut milk, etc) and the flavour lacked depth and contrast. I think the soup would have been wonderful with a kick of Indian spices so I will have to try that next time.

Instead of making another sweet potato soup, I decided to take this lesson and apply it to a roasted tomato and garlic soup. It’s really, really hard to go wrong with roasted tomatoes, as I discovered with the Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto, so I was pretty confident it would be successful.

I grabbed 5 pounds of beautiful roma tomatoes.

IMG 2151 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

I made extra so I could make another batch of pesto with the leftovers! I encourage you to do the same because I have a delicious pizza recipe coming up using the pesto.

I prepped the tomatoes, sweet onion, and garlic for roasting.

IMG 2154 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup IMG 2175 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup IMG 2174 thumb1   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

And everything got roasted at once!

IMG 2182 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

The oven was on for about 1 hour and 25 minutes total at 375-400F, with the tomatoes taking the longest and the onions taking the least amount of time.

IMG 2180 thumb1   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup IMG 2177 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

I added some of the roasted vegetables (along with 2 tbsp of roasted garlic), vegetable broth, a can of light coconut milk, S & P, and garam masala (<—the heat!)

IMG 2184 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup IMG 2190 thumb1   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

I knew that this soup was going to be a game changer because the broth was mind blowing.

I blended it (only 3 seconds!) to leave it chunky. You can also use an immersion blender if you have one.

IMG 2194 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

There is so much depth of flavour in this soup it made my head spin! It didn’t need any second trials, no second guessing…it just worked.

IMG 2205 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

Print this recipe!

This tomato soup is anything but traditional, boring, or bland and it’s definitely one of the best homemade soups I have made to date. The light coconut milk is a great way to add a luxurious creaminess, pairing well with the heat from the garam masala and adding a nice contrast to the rustic quality of the roasted vegetables. I will make this again and again!

Yield: 6 cups

Roasting vegetables:

• 5 pounds of roma tomatoes, washed & sliced in half
  • 1 large sweet onion, peeled & sliced
  • 2-3 large garlic bulbs, prepared for roasting
  • extra virgin olive oil, kosher salt, & pepper, for vegetables

Soup:

• 3 cups roasted tomatoes
  • 2 tbsp roasted garlic flesh
  • all of the roasted sweet onion
  • 1 can light coconut milk (reserve 2-3 tbsp for garnish)
  • 3 cups vegetable broth (I used low-sodium)
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste
  • 2 tsp garam masala (add slowly, to taste)
  • 1 tsp salt or to taste (you may have to reduce amt. if you used full-sodium broth)
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • for garnish: garlic croutons, coconut milk, pesto, herbs, garam masala, pepper, etc.

1. Preheat oven to 400F and line 2 baking sheets with tin foil (note that parchment paper will burn). Grab a small casserole dish to place the garlic in. For how to prepare the garlic, see this tutorial. Lightly drizzle on EVOO onto onions and season onions and tomatoes with S & P. Roast for about 30 minutes and then check on the vegetables. You might have to remove the onions early as they cook the quickest. When the onions are golden and lightly blackened on the edge, you can remove them. Continue roasting the garlic for about 60 minutes or so (check it after 4 5mins), and the tomatoes for about 1 hour and 20 mins. Your oven times will vary though, so keep an eye on them!

2. Add 3 cups roasted tomatoes, 2 tbsp roasted garlic flesh, and all the onion into a large pot. Add coconut milk, tomato paste, and broth and stir well.

3. Stir in the seasonings and spices to taste. Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 5-10 minutes.

4. Carefully transfer into a blender, processor, or use an immersion blender. Pulse for just a few seconds until chunky. You can also make it smooth, but I liked the texture. Serve immediately and garnish with reserved coconut milk, a sprinkle of garam masala, croutons/bread, and fresh black pepper.

IMG 2210 2 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

If you think that forgoing animal products means that you will never get to have a cream-based soup…think again! This soup was rich & creamy thanks to the coconut milk, but not weighed-down or heavy in any way.

It is super filling, but light at the same time.

How is that even possible?

I told you, your head will spin.

IMG 2213 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

You can use the leftover roasted tomato and garlic to make the Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto for a pizza recipe I have coming up…it’s made with a crispy buckwheat and almond meal flatbread crust. Coming up!

IMG 2245 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

Oh and my new Fall-themed header is coming at ya, today or tomorrow.

Have a great start to your weekend!

Alexis @ hummusapien September 23, 2011

All I can say is YUM!

jenna September 23, 2011

I love your love of Fall! I can’t get enough pumpkin! The soup looks amazing, and your pizza looks like one I made tonight. I added black olive tapenade :)

Heather September 23, 2011

Angela! Are you a mind reader? I think you are. My boyfriend and I went for Indian food today and we talked about how we wanted to make a new Indian inspired dish. I think we found our winner. Thank you!!!

Stay lovely,
Heather

Ellie@fitforthesoul September 24, 2011

haha! I always feel like she’s reading my “food” mind too!

Heather September 24, 2011

Glad to hear I’m not alone! (;

Hannah September 24, 2011

Oh my gosh! I totally bought a Snuggie back in June, the middle of Australia’s winter…. and I never even opened the packaging it was posted in!! Now I have to wait for next Winter…

Kari @ bite-sized thoughts September 24, 2011

I really like sweet potato and chilli soup…but as an alternative, this looks rather good :)

Katrina September 24, 2011

Yummmm! Love this!

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner September 24, 2011

Yay for snuggies! I have the cheetah print one. :)

Virtually Vegan Mama September 24, 2011

I’m LOVING the look of this soup…I will be making this one!

xoxo

Jen =)

emma September 24, 2011

Oh my! That soup looks delicious! Such a wonderful flavour combination. Tonights dinner perhaps :-)

Laura September 24, 2011

Just making this! I cannot wait to try it. I roasted extra tomatoes for use in a sweet potato, kale, peanut butter soup to use instead of canned one. I bet it will make that soup taste even better than it normally does! Thanks for the idea.

Alex @ Raw Recovery September 24, 2011

Sounds like a lot of interesting flavors, but it looks good!

Jessica September 24, 2011

OMG This sounds like a fabulous kick start to fall recipe! :)

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! September 24, 2011

Mmmmmm that soup looks so delicious!!!! I love pureed soups!

Casey September 24, 2011

OMG! the snuggieee!!! ahahah my dog actually has one…dont worry though, it was a gift from another family. Plus he doesn’t wear it b/c it makes his fur blue haha

Lulu September 24, 2011

I love the idea of your soup but I am allergic to coconut. Would you recommend just cream instead if I needed to leave out the coconut milk?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 24, 2011

Cream would work or probably almond milk since it’s creamy too.

Emilia @ Namaste Gurl September 24, 2011

Love all the flavors and textures of this soup– indian meets italian? This looks like a super comforting fall type soup and I can most definitely see why. Perfect for the ending season of tomatoes, but incoming of fall :) Coconut milk based soups are the best comfort food!

Ellie@fitforthesoul September 24, 2011

Mmm amazing recipe!!! I love these kinds of foods–in fact, it inspires me to go ahead and eat the leftover Indian for lunch! Wait, that didn’t sound right…”leftover indian food” haha. This puts me in a giddy Fall mood! <33 Have a great day~

Stephanie September 24, 2011

This looks delicious! Also, LOVE your new fall header!

Vanessa September 24, 2011

i am dying to make this!

Mai September 24, 2011

oh! i like this new header a LOT.

Anna @ The Guiltless Life September 24, 2011

Oh yum! I love tomato soup and the idea of adding coconut is just perfect. Thanks!

Annalisa September 24, 2011

Ha ha — for a minute I thought that was your family and thought “wow, they are really hardcore into their snuggies!” Love the soup recipe! SmittenKitchen did a tomato soup recipe this week and topped hers with some toast/shaved onion/cheese which i might have make these two recipes come together. Your spice combo sounds yummy! Happy fall!

Therese September 24, 2011

LOVE the new header! Have you leaves turned that much already this year?

Maria Laura September 24, 2011

Greetings from Argentina, Angela!!! I can’t recall how i found your blog, but i’ve been a huge fan ever since I first read it. I’ve been a Vegan for 11 years now, and let me tell you how talented you are to me (I guess you’ve heard this before). Unfortunately, in Patagonia, near the end of the world, many of the ingredients you use in your recipes don’t even exist and my country is basically a meat eater one, so i’m kind of struggling here :-) Anyway, I just wanted to leave a comment telling you I admire your cooking, Hugs again
Laura

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 24, 2011

Hey Laura! Nice to meet you :) Thanks for your kind words about the blog. Sorry to hear about the ingredients…I can imagine how difficult that could be in some places. All the best, Angela

Tiffany September 24, 2011

Hi Angela, just wondering if you think adding some red lentils would be good in the soup? This soup already looks so amazing, but I was thinking that adding lentils might make it more filling? Or would you recommend that? It does already look perfect! Thanks for the terrific recipes. :)

Lindsay September 24, 2011

I love the new header. It looks so warm and inviting. I always find the snuggie commercials to be hilarious, esp because they have one for the dog. I do have one though. Leopard print. Unfortunately I don’t get to bust it out yet because here in Texas it is still ridiculously hot.

janice September 24, 2011

I just made a batch of the “Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup”, all I can say is YUMMO!
I did make one change in the recipe b/c the only garam masala I had in my spice drawer was “spicy”.
I liked it so much I made a second batch, sent some home with a friend then e-mailed a link to your recipe.

Lara @TresLaLa September 24, 2011

That poor dog is right! Yikes! Loving the new header! And the soup looks awesome!

Candace September 24, 2011

This was delicious! I had a question though, roasting the tomatos destroyed my pans. The juices burnt before my tomatos roasted making it difficult to get them off and difficult to clean my pans. Any advice? Oh, and do you think I could remove the seeds?…it was just a little seedy for me

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 24, 2011

Did you use tin foil to line the pan? I find that worked for me with little mess.
As for the seeds, you can use a fine sieve.

Shontill September 24, 2011

I’m making this right now. My house smells wonderful. Can’t wait to eat!!!

Alicia September 24, 2011

I don’t have time to read your new post but I LOVE your new header, super cute!

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. September 24, 2011

Oh it ALL looks so good!

Lilly September 24, 2011

Hi Angela, I love your blog and recipes, even though i’m not vegan!
I was just wondering if you have closed your bakery, or is it still running?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 25, 2011

Yes, it’s still running!

Alexandria Lewis September 24, 2011

Perfectly delicious! Made this tonight and it was wonderful!

michelle September 24, 2011

My husband bought me a snuggie last xmas and I hated the feeling of the material – I just don’t get them! This soup looks ridiculously good, making it this week.

Kalie September 24, 2011

I think this one may be worth risking my life to try! Yes, I am allergic to coconut but i dont care I am trying this!!!!!!! ;)

Kristina Lekin September 24, 2011

I just made this – my house smells amazing and it tastes divine! Awesome work, Angela.

Sending love from Waterloo,
Kristina

Jessica September 24, 2011

OMG, I made this tonight and it was SO FREAKING GOOD. My husband and I both agreed that it was one of the best soups we’d ever eaten.

I had one minor problem- I didn’t peel my tomatoes, because it doesn’t appear from the recipe or pictures that you did, but I was not a fan of the tough little skin bits. Perhaps this only became a problem for me because I pureed mine until smooth- maybe since you left yours chunkier, the skin didn’t separate from the tomato chunks? Anyway, next time I will skin the tomatoes first.

Because, oh, yes, there will be a next time. Quite possible tomorrow, because, Holy Cow, amazing. Seriously. Thank you for this recipe.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 25, 2011

Glad you enjoyed it!
If you want it super smooth you can use a fine sieve to strain it out. Enjoy! :)

cat @ cat's belly fat cure September 24, 2011

I have been looking for a fall nail polish color that I love….that one is definitely it. I’m gonna go searchin for that one. Your soup looks delish too. :)

Gulcan September 25, 2011

I love your new Autum header!! Colour combination gives such warm positive feelings. Great! :)

Page 3 of 6«12345»...Last »