How To Roast Garlic

IMG 2180 2 thumb   How To Roast Garlic

Once upon a time there was a girl who desperately wanted to roast garlic.

She kept hearing wonderful things about roasted garlic…

“It’s like a buttery spread”

“It’s sweet and mellow and not overpowering”

“I eat it when I feel a cold coming on.”

“I eat it roasted straight from the head! I’M CRAZY!!”

This made the girl crave roasted garlic badly until one day she HAD TO HAVE BUTTERY ROASTED GARLIC right this very second.

IMG 2160 thumb   How To Roast Garlic

This girl did what she always does when she doesn’t know the answer to something…

which is…all the time.

Untitledccl thumb   How To Roast Garlic

Oops.

Here we go.

Untitlednewwww thumb   How To Roast Garlic

This search led her to a video on how to roast garlic. Here’s what she learned…

How To Roast Garlic

Note: It’s recommended you stay 2 feet from your computer screen.

IMG 2192 thumb   How To Roast Garlic

Step 1: Preheat the oven to 400F. Peel off the loose skin.

IMG 2163 thumb   How To Roast Garlic

Step 2: Cut off the head so the garlic is exposed at the top.

IMG 2167 thumb   How To Roast Garlic

If your knife misses a couple cloves, just use a paring knife to cut the tips off.

IMG 2168 thumb   How To Roast Garlic

Step 3: Place a piece of tin foil underneath the garlic and drizzle about 1 tsp of olive oil on top, making sure to cover each exposed clove.

IMG 2170 thumb   How To Roast Garlic

IMG 2171 thumb   How To Roast Garlic

Step 4: Wrap each garlic clove in tin foil and place in a small oven-safe dish or muffin tin.

IMG 2174 thumb   How To Roast Garlic

Step 5: Roast in the oven for 35-55 minutes at 400F until the cloves are golden in colour.

IMG 2180 thumb   How To Roast Garlic

Step 6: Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before gently squeezing the garlic out of each skin. You can also use a paring knife to cut away the skin.

IMG 2186 thumb   How To Roast Garlic

The pungent flavour of raw garlic is now gone, leaving behind a buttery and mild garlic spread. You can spread it on bread, mix into roasted tomato basil pesto, mash into high protein potatoes, use in pasta sauce, or eat it straight up!

IMG 2188 thumb   How To Roast Garlic

You could also create the best soup you’ve ever made…(recipe coming up!)

IMG 2190 thumb   How To Roast Garlic

You know what they say, when one person eats garlic…everyone eats garlic.

Now get your roast on.

This girl is going to chew on a mint plant now.

Geosomin September 22, 2011

After my first taste of roasted garlic, I was hooked. I love it in mashed potatoes. Yum…

Beach Bum Beauty September 22, 2011

There’s something really comforting about roasted garlic and it’s really good at keeping colds at bay (and vampires) :-)

Andrea @ Vegvacious September 22, 2011

This is exactly how we roast garlic and it is AMAZING when added into mashed potatoes along with a little Earth Balance —- trust me when I tell you it is absolute heaven :-D

Jennifer September 22, 2011

ooh this makes the whole house smell sooo good.. makes me hungry just thinking about it!

Carolyn @ HealthKitten.com September 22, 2011

Oh glorious roasted garlic! It’s the base of an amazing veggie pizza I make all the time, and the base for a pasta dish called Dracula’s Revenge. Since it takes so long (and the smell…dear god the smell!) to roast, I’m half tempted to bake extra the next time and see how it freezes.

Once again, you’re tempting me with deliciousness! Thanks Angela! ;)

Amber K September 22, 2011

It always sounds so delicious, but I never have the patience! I wonder how long they last. Because I could see doing it ahead of time and just reheating it to spread it on bread or adding it to another recipe.

Carissa September 22, 2011

I roasted 4 heads and kept some in the fridge for about 2 weeks. There were a few cloves that went bad (so sad!!), but before that they still good. I heated the cloves up a little before using to make them spreadable again.

Amber K September 22, 2011

Thanks for sharing! That’s good to know :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 22, 2011

Someone else said you can freeze it too :)

Shaun @ Snackasaurusrex September 22, 2011

I’ve tried to roast (actually we put it on the grill) garlic before and it didn’t quite come out how I had envisioned…it was delicious, but messy with the skins :( I will try this way…seems clean and easy ;)

Amanda @ AmandaRunsNY September 22, 2011

umm, wow, that sounds sooo good i want to just eat it straight out of the oven

Sam@I Tell Stories September 22, 2011

I can appreciate your use of google. I couldn’t live without it :)

Allie {a teaspoon of LIFE} September 22, 2011

Holy holy holy moley! Today is the best day of my life :) I love you!!!

katzien September 22, 2011

Well don’t stop there! Go ahead and make some veggie caponata and herbed goat cheese. Grab some toasted baguette, then spread roasted garlic, goat cheese and top with caponata. Enjoy with a glass of red and call it dinner!

Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner September 22, 2011

you can NEVER go wrong with roasted garlic!!! I love it with chili peppers and then use it as a dip with fresh bread. so not healthy but SO good.

Michelle September 22, 2011

LOVED this post. I actually laughed out loud at parts…

I’m heading home as soon as I am done volunteering to “get my roast on”.

Thanks, yet again, for a great cooking lesson that I’ll use again, and again, and again…

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 22, 2011

Thanks Michelle :) I hope you enjoy it!

Carissa September 22, 2011

Looooooove garlic! We go through it like crazy. Great instructional guide post. :-)

Cady September 22, 2011

I’ll wait until this weekend for the roasted garlic, but I immediately googled
the crazy cat lady quiz.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 22, 2011

I thought someone might! hah

em @ simplypresent September 22, 2011

Mmmm… Love garlic! (and Google…)

Ellie@fitforthesoul September 22, 2011

Yummyyy!! I love garlic in any way, shape or form. This looks so good. Roasted/grilled is 2nd for me. But in our house, our favorite way of eating it is raw!! :P Dipped in Korean spicy pepper paste, or fermented bean paste hehehe :)

Christina September 22, 2011

I swear garlic is one of the best things on the planet. Not only does it get deliciously sweet and smooth when you roast them, they can also keep away enemies (or unwanted in-laws) hahaha!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 22, 2011

haha and vampires!

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles September 22, 2011

I love garlic, but I’ve never roasted it. It looks amazing! Your photos just make me want to spread this all over spread and gobble it up. Or drizzle on noodles. Or just eat it.

Jessy (squeezetheday) September 22, 2011

I’ve never tried roasted garlic (I didn’t even know people did it until recently), but considering I adore roasted/caramelized onions, I think I need to try this!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 22, 2011

you are going to love the soup recipe tomorrow!

Becky September 22, 2011

Totally off topic, but how goes your cookbook? I can’t wait to buy a copy!

JenATX September 22, 2011

can the title of the cookbook be called, I am Not a Crazy Cat Lady?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 22, 2011

I’m working on my proposal…and about to sign with an agent. It’s a slow process, but I’m making sure that I do it right.

Love the title of the book! :)

Jes September 22, 2011

OMG I would totally make that right now…buuuut I TOTALLY stink in my hot yoga class when I’ve been eating garlic and/or onions, even the slightest bit. *shudder*

Coll September 22, 2011

Looking forward to the recipe!

Barry September 22, 2011

That seems very straightforward but I will need to move to larger accomodation in a single and remote dwelling. Love garlic and I believe it is very healthy.

Lara September 22, 2011

OMW you have just reminded me how much I LURVVV roast garlic :-)

Julie September 22, 2011

Ok, I totally want that soup recipe, like now!!! lol. I LOVE roasted garlic. One of my favorite things in the world, and it’s been entirely too long since I’ve had it. Must roast garlic this week!

Morgan Holmes September 22, 2011

I just wanted to say that I love your blog and look forward to reading it everyday. But I was just writing because after a long 4 week debate about going back to my job after my Maternity leave, I have finally decided to quit! and I just did a few minutes ago and I feel crazy and excited and panicky all at once. But I wanted to say that it came down to your post about career happiness etc. I re-read them today before going into work and it helped me take the jump. I thought I might like it better now that it had been a year off but it was the same job that I was unhappy about before etc. So yay thank you for your support!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 24, 2011

Thanks for your comment Morgan! I wish you all the best with your new journey!! :)

Maggie September 22, 2011

Try adding in a light dousing of honey when you do the olive oil. That sweetness brings out something amazing in an already perfect dish!

Judy September 22, 2011

You can also add some roasted garlic to the pizza sauce when making pizza. Very good!
Cannot wait for the soup recipe tomorrow.

Haley September 22, 2011

MMMmm can’t wait to put some on my toast! I’m going to need a large pack of gum afterwards though! (:

Nicholle September 22, 2011

Yeah, your picture is back! For some reason it just motivates me! Guess, I just wanna glow like you!

Katie September 22, 2011

The instant I saw the title of this post, my day was made. I am a garlic fiend. But I’ve never actually taken the initiative to roast some at home, until today. Thanks so much for simple lesson!!! I will be doing it regularly.

Tonight’s snack of roasted garlic spread on toast with salt and pepper was a delicious start :)

Sarahh September 22, 2011

Love your blog! Ever since I started reading it/making the recipes, I’ve had such a different [better!] outlook on life, food, and being healthy and happy with me! Thanks!

Living, Learning, Eating September 23, 2011

My dad would love that; he’s obsessed with garlic.

Ashley @ The Drunk Squash September 23, 2011

oh my gosh I DIE for roasted garlic! My only problem is sometimes I get too impatient and eat it before it’s completely buttery… still delicious, but definitely gives me garlic breath.

Hayley @ Oat Couture September 23, 2011

Haha I love garlic but my boyfriend HATES it so I don’t think this will be allowed in our house :(

jenna September 23, 2011

:) i have such a love hate relationship with garlic. roasted garlic is so appealing to me thought. it’s the after breath that kills me.

jane September 25, 2011

love roasting garlic , it’s fab with a sprig of fresh thyme tucked in with it ! :)

shaylyn September 25, 2011

i LOVE roasted garlic and i love this post! as the weather turns cold i am currently mourning the loss of my garlic roaster (a pretty ridiculous single-use kitchen item but it made me happy nonetheless) – will have to make do with some foil i guess. can’t wait to try the roasted garlic soup you posted!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) September 27, 2011

You better believe I will be trying that roasted garlic ASAP!!!

Page 3 of 4«1234»