Make-Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes

IMG 2128 thumb   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes IMG 2105 thumb   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal RecipesIMG 2106 thumb   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes IMG 2111 3 thumb   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes

You wouldn’t know it from the plethora of steel-cut oatmeal recipes I have on the blog (one), but steel-cut oats are actually my favourite way to enjoy oatmeal.

The only problem is I’m usually too hungry to wait 30 minutes to eat breakfast. Hence, my obsession with quick breakfasts like Vegan overnight oats, Green Monsters, and rolled oatmeal.

IMG 2086 2 thumb   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes

Oats in review:

Instant Oats have been cooked, dried and rolled and are the most processed way to eat oats. Instant oats are very thin and need only hot liquid to soften. They are ready in about 60 seconds. While they are the most convenient (although some might argue that overnight oats are the most convenient!), they often have a lot of added salt, sugar, and other strange ingredients.

Quick-cooking oats are simply rolled oats that have been cut into smaller pieces. They cook in about 3-4 minutes.

Rolled oats are also known as Old-Fashioned Oats. They have been steamed, pressed with a roller, and dried. Cooking time is between 5-10 minutes. These are the oats that I use in my oatmeal recipes and in some baking recipes.

Steel-cut oats are also known as pinhead oats (pinhead…ha), coarse-cut oats, Irish oats, or Scotch oats. They are oat groats (the inner portion of the oat kernel) that have been cut into 2-3 pieces rather than being steamed and rolled. Steel-cut oats are coarse in texture and remain chewy even after cooking and re-heating. They generally take about 20-25 minutes to cook, although there is a quick-cook overnight method too.

Because steel-cut oats retain their chewy texture after cooking (while rolled oats tend to get mushy), they are the perfect breakfast cereal to make ahead of time and quickly reheat in the morning.

Many of you said you like to make a big batch of steel-cut oats and then enjoy it all week long for quick and easy breakfasts. Once I wrapped my head around actually making the oatmeal at night (I tend to forget!), it occurred to me how much time it can save in the morning. And steel-cut oats reheat very, very well. I actually think that my make-ahead batch tasted better the next morning after the flavours developed a bit more.

IMG 2084 2 thumb   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes

I was feeling inspired after my post on my 5 favourite oatmeal recipes, so I put on my creative oatmeal thinking cap and went to town!

IMG 2089 2 thumb   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes

IMG 2105 thumb1   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes

IMG 2106 2 thumb   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes

IMG 2113 2 thumb   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes

IMG 2111 3 thumb1   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes

IMG 2127 2 thumb   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes

IMG 2128 2 thumb   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes

You are all cordially invited for a steel-cut oatmeal party.

Just don’t be alarmed when you see the bomb that went off in my kitchen…

Inaru September 21, 2011

Although I am not a vegan, I absolutely love the recipes on your blog. The variations on oatmeal really motivated me to refresh my breakfast go-to’s. The result was my own version of a PB&J oatmeal. Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 22, 2011

Thank you Inaru :) I’m glad you are enjoying the recipes!

Tatomme @ Fresh Potater September 21, 2011

Cinnamon peanut butter swirl?! Cinnamon almond butter sauce?? Oh my gosh…Swirls and sauces immediately amp up any dish. I cannot wait to try these concoctions!!!! :)

SueAnn C September 21, 2011

These look great! I love oatmeal, sometimes even for dinner! Thanks for sharing!

Jennifer September 21, 2011

I’m totally making the fall-spice tomorrow. thanks for all the recipes!

Diane September 22, 2011

Thank you for this wonderful idea! I have had steel cut oats in my pantry forever without an idea of what to do with them. I printed this recipe off yesterday and made them last night! I love it! I actually ate half a serving with a spoonful of peanut butter and it was delicious!! I can’t wait to try your add ons to the recipe! Thanks so much – this will be a staple this winter!!

LizAshlee September 22, 2011

I am loving oats these days!! Perfectly warm and satisfying…love that you have chocolate chip cookie dough…I think this would be my fav!

Brittany Sanders September 22, 2011

Thanks for this post – I hadn’t had steel cut oats in so long and this make-ahead recipe works perfectly for busy mornings!

Karen Cohen September 22, 2011

I was inspired by your post and I made steel cut oats last night but instead of the banana I cut up two apples into bit sized pieces and added a touch of agave and lots of cinnamon. instant Apple Cinnamon oats and it taste like pie today

Angela September 22, 2011

Oh yummy, can’t wait to try all of them! So saw the Cookie Dough version coming :D
I am a Cookie Dough fanatic too!

Anna September 22, 2011

Your first prune! Congrats! :)
And I have to try that Cinnamon Peanut Butter Swirl… I can’t really plan trying new things in the morning because I often have strong tendencies towards breakfasts I can’t predict the night before… but if I’m feeling peanutty, I’m definitely doin’ it.

Megan@eatmybeets September 23, 2011

mmm those combinations look amazing! I may have to start making my oatmeal the night before as well.

Leslie Paquette September 26, 2011

I love steel cut oats! I’ve made them many times the night before and then reheated or eaten them cold the next morning. I’ve always used just water so really enjoyed the addition of almond milk. I followed your recipe exactly and was really pleased with the results. I topped my bowl with 1/2 a chopped banana and 1 serving of PB2 mixed with almond milk. Tomorrow I think I’ll add some chopped nuts since the oats could have used a little more cruchy texture. It’s been 2 1/2 hours since breakfast and I’m still really full :)

hannah @meager pumpkin September 26, 2011

The Fall Spice currant and prune sounds absolutely scrumptious!
I’ve been a-cravin’ some prunes lately (is that a little odd?!) and what better then in some nice hot autumn oaties!!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) September 27, 2011

I have to try those chocolate chip cookie dough steel cut oats!!!!!!

Isabelle May 19, 2012

hi Angela.
thanks for more yummy recipes.
a question about almond butter. So far, all the almond butter I have bought are pretty hard (at the moment I have the PC blue menu one). And not only is it hard to scoop out but it ‘s even harder to mix as there are always “lumps”.
In know that in France they have some blanched almond butter which is whiter and much smoother but can’t seem to be able find it here. Is there a brand you would recommend?
Thanks for your help
Isa

Allie July 9, 2012

I put steel cut oats in the crockpot…very delicious. 2c soy milk 2.5 cups water 1 cup oats…chia seeds….cinnamon and vanilla

Maureen September 5, 2012

Thanks so much for the Steel cut oats recipe, I tried it this morning and never knew what I was missing. I love oatmeal and have never added the almond milk to it. I always do lots of seeds and dried fruit. The mashed bananas were a real treat. My two year old had a bit and is now sitting at the table with her own bowl (giving me a minute to write this). Can’t wait to start trying so of your other recipes.

Kristin September 12, 2012

I bought some steel-cut oats at Whole Foods and searched for recipes online and stumbled upon your site. What a great find! I made the Make Ahead and ate it as soon as it was finished and it was delicious. No need for sugar or any additions. Thanks!

liz September 22, 2012

Because this site is awesome, I’ll share a hot cereal tip. This is how they do it in Haiti.
Make oatmeal–not instant, old fashioned. While cooking add a few whole star anise.
Try it! Simple and amazing. The beauty about this one is you can wash the star anise
and reuse it.

Reigh October 1, 2012

Holy crow! I woke up this morning and while I was laying in bed I decided to google some new oatmeal recipes, stumbled upon this one! I made the peanut butter one and I was just about licking the bowl clean!! I’ll be forwarding this page to everyone I know :D

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 1, 2012

aw thank you so much!

Emily October 12, 2012

Hi! I just wanted to thank you for this post– I came across it via Pinterest a few months ago and decided to try it out. I’ve been doing it almost every week since then, and it has really changed my mornings! I love having such a healthy & delicious breakfast ready to eat in seconds. I feel great all day & it has helped me achieve my goal of consistent healthy eating. Thank you so much!

Jesse November 21, 2012

I tried the basic recipe with rolled spelt instead of oats..I’m not sure it worked..Have you used rolled spelt?

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 22, 2012

I dont think I have. What was it like?

Jesse November 22, 2012

It looks like rolled oats but is caramel-coloured, and hard! I’ll try soaking it more..

Jennifer Houser March 4, 2013

Hi! Love this recipe, and I am addicted to the Berry Almond Bliss! This is the only oatmeal recipe that does not leave me hungry after one hour. I have also topped it with your Coconut Whipped Cream too! Thanks!

katie March 20, 2013

Do you know the nutritional facts on this, like calories per serving and all that jazz?

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 21, 2013

Hi Katie, Im sorry I don’t have it calculated…you can check out check out caloriecount.com it’s a free service and easy to use.

Babychupes April 14, 2013

Have you tried a peach version of this? My little one is asking for peach oatmeal.

Olivia July 22, 2013

Hello!! I’m actually currently making your make-ahead steel-cut oats recipe! I didn’t have flax or chia seeds and was wondering if they were just for taste or nutrition :) It smells heavenly in here right now! I can’t wait to grab a bowl for my breakfast!

Trisha March 19, 2014

Hi! I came across this post recently when I was looking for a recipe to make my oats ahead of time. I tried it last night and had them this morning and I was amazed and how good they were! The banana gave the perfect amount of sweetness and they were so creamy. Thank you for this recipe!!!

Shelby April 2, 2014

Angela,
I love these recipes! I used to eat oatmeal then I strayed for some reason!
Question is: i’ve seen a lot of recipes that ate for overnight oats that don’t require any cooking. Just mix steel cut with almond milk and it’s ready in the am. Do you know this method? What way makes a better texture? Thanks!

Terri December 2, 2014

Just found your site and am making a list of recipes to try. Thank you!. Working with a cinnamon allergy, any ideas on a good alternative for your oatmeal recipes?

Page 4 of 4«1234