Make-Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes

IMG 2128 thumb   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes IMG 2105 thumb   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal RecipesIMG 2106 thumb   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes IMG 2111 3 thumb   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes

You wouldn’t know it from the plethora of steel-cut oatmeal recipes I have on the blog (one), but steel-cut oats are actually my favourite way to enjoy oatmeal.

The only problem is I’m usually too hungry to wait 30 minutes to eat breakfast. Hence, my obsession with quick breakfasts like Vegan overnight oats, Green Monsters, and rolled oatmeal.

IMG 2086 2 thumb   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes

Oats in review:

Instant Oats have been cooked, dried and rolled and are the most processed way to eat oats. Instant oats are very thin and need only hot liquid to soften. They are ready in about 60 seconds. While they are the most convenient (although some might argue that overnight oats are the most convenient!), they often have a lot of added salt, sugar, and other strange ingredients.

Quick-cooking oats are simply rolled oats that have been cut into smaller pieces. They cook in about 3-4 minutes.

Rolled oats are also known as Old-Fashioned Oats. They have been steamed, pressed with a roller, and dried. Cooking time is between 5-10 minutes. These are the oats that I use in my oatmeal recipes and in some baking recipes.

Steel-cut oats are also known as pinhead oats (pinhead…ha), coarse-cut oats, Irish oats, or Scotch oats. They are oat groats (the inner portion of the oat kernel) that have been cut into 2-3 pieces rather than being steamed and rolled. Steel-cut oats are coarse in texture and remain chewy even after cooking and re-heating. They generally take about 20-25 minutes to cook, although there is a quick-cook overnight method too.

Because steel-cut oats retain their chewy texture after cooking (while rolled oats tend to get mushy), they are the perfect breakfast cereal to make ahead of time and quickly reheat in the morning.

Many of you said you like to make a big batch of steel-cut oats and then enjoy it all week long for quick and easy breakfasts. Once I wrapped my head around actually making the oatmeal at night (I tend to forget!), it occurred to me how much time it can save in the morning. And steel-cut oats reheat very, very well. I actually think that my make-ahead batch tasted better the next morning after the flavours developed a bit more.

IMG 2084 2 thumb   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes

I was feeling inspired after my post on my 5 favourite oatmeal recipes, so I put on my creative oatmeal thinking cap and went to town!

IMG 2089 2 thumb   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes

IMG 2105 thumb1   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes

IMG 2106 2 thumb   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes

IMG 2113 2 thumb   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes

IMG 2111 3 thumb1   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes

IMG 2127 2 thumb   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes

IMG 2128 2 thumb   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes

You are all cordially invited for a steel-cut oatmeal party.

Just don’t be alarmed when you see the bomb that went off in my kitchen…

Sarah September 20, 2011

I’ve been wanting to test out making steel cut oats but wasn’t sure what make ahead method to try. I’d heard of people making huge batches in their slow cooker, but I’m afraid they’d go to waste. This seems like the perfect work week quantity. Thanks for sharing!

Donna September 20, 2011

It’s a shame that steel cut oats are not a supermarket staple in the UK, I’d love to make some the night before to take into work for breakfast. I gave up trying to cook rolled oats in the microwave at work as it kept exploding, which didn’t make me very popular for a while!

Rachel September 20, 2011

I’ve ALWAYS wondered why you usually use rolled oats instead of steel cut. I definitely prefer steel cut. The least processed version of food I can find, the better!
These recipes look amazing! Now I just need it to cool off in SoCal so I can enjoy them. :-)

Molly @ RDexposed September 20, 2011

I haven’t had steel cut in over a year. I need to get back on the steel horse.

Kim September 20, 2011

Angela, your posts just keep getting better and better! I love them!! These are beautiful. Way to go !!

Thanks Kim! :)

karen September 20, 2011

thank you !!!
I ♥ so much oatmeal(s) – I almost always eat mine the same way so thank you very much for those recipes Angela.

Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf September 20, 2011

Oh my. That fall spice one looks really good! Unfortunately my doc has forbade me from eating carbs in the morning. Normally I’m not a big oatmeal fan, but the fact that I’m not “allowed” to eat it in the morning paired with how AWESOME that looks, I’m now drooling for an oatmeal breakfast. ;)

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats September 20, 2011

I want to come to your house for breakfast! lol. The cinnamon peanut butter swirl oats sound especially good!

Alaina September 20, 2011

I LOVE this post! I have one recipe for steel cut oats in the crock pot and now I can add some more to my recipe list!! Thank you Angela!! :-)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 20, 2011

Their long cooking time has always turned me off of steel-cut oats too. But after hearing about how good they are on so many blogs, I really want to try them. Thanks for the make ahead recipe! :D

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig September 20, 2011

WOW those chocolate chip cookie dough oats look amazing. I’m pretty sure my trainer wouldn’t be happy with me if I had those though hahaha!

Leah September 20, 2011

Thank you for solving my dilemma of how to eat oats for breakfast at work without resorting to instant oats. Now that the chilly weather is returning I’ve been wanting to replace my green monsters with oats but don’t have much time to cook them in the am. You’re such a savior!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2011

I hope it works out for you! I love making them at night…a big batch too.

Joann@womaninreallife September 20, 2011

I wish I was so hungry in the morning. I know the importance of eating breakfast, but sometimes it has to be in a smoothie (at least until 10:00 and then I more than compensate with muffins, scones, whatever). I do love oatmeal though. These recipes look yummy.

Amy@ahealthyandhappyheart September 20, 2011

I am so thankful for all your posts.. You are always so informative and your recipes are delicious!

Deb September 20, 2011

How funny – I bought my regular oats yesterday after picking up a tin of the steel cut variety and wondering whether they were any good. I’ll have to pick up some now that I’ve read your post and have some fantastic sounding recipes to try! Thanks!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2011

I’m glad you are going to try them! I’ve had the same canister in my cupboard for literally 2 years now! If I only knew I could make them ahead of time… ;)

Meagan September 20, 2011

I love oats, but although 1/2 a cup uncooked rolled oats (then cooked as norm) fills me up really well, I’m starving by 10am. Most cereals give me this problem. Do steel-cut oats have better staying power?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2011

I do find they keep me full longer than rolled oats (I meant to put that in my post but forgot!)

sara September 20, 2011

THANK you for this inspiring post! I’m going to the kitchen to make these oats right now!!

jenna September 20, 2011

Mmm, Angela; I love your cookie dough glaze idea – simple and surely satisfying. I do oat bran, pumpkin and dark chocolate just about every morning now, and I think it’s time for a cookie dough switch up. Thanks, and happy Fall!

Lindsay September 20, 2011

My favorite is an apple pie steel cut oats recipe that I made up. I cook a week’s worth of steel cut oats in half water & half almond breeze with vanilla (a pod if I have) and a cinnamon stick. Once it is cooled I add shredded apple and some ground cinnamon and sometimes some sucanat. My coworkers are always envious when I reheat at the office!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2011

Oh wow I bet that smells good. I need to replenish my vanilla bean stash! It makes such a difference.

robyn September 20, 2011

Yum,,,fave meal of the day! I’ve been eating steel cut and Quinoa mix for years(make ahead too). This year I started eating more seasonal so more of your softserves and overnighters since spring,,,there’s a bite in the air AND I’m going to try each and everyone of your new recipes AND can’t wait,,,,thank you!

Malia @ Life is good girl September 20, 2011

Ok, you are making me crave oats. But instead I must go to bed. I’ll be dreaming aobut that Cookie Dough Oatmeal!

Alexis @ hummusapien September 20, 2011

your photography is SO amazing–i just can’t get over it! Each recipe sounds better than the last one! YUMMMM oatmeal season!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2011

Thank you! It’s amazing what changing up the tea towels can do. hah ;)

stephanie September 21, 2011

i never make them for the exact same reason, but i think you just sold me on making some next week.your pictures are so pretty!

Hannah September 21, 2011

These look amazing, particularly the peanut butter swirl one! I’m confused, though, as to what you think a fresh prune is. Is that what we Aussies call a plum?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2011

Yup it’s a plum (actually called a Prune plum for this variety!)

Emma (Emma+Jacob) September 21, 2011

OMG I’m drooling :D :D :D

Naina @ chow bella September 21, 2011

I have never had steel-cut oats before, but I think the chocolate chip cookie dough recipe is the perfect place to start!

anne September 21, 2011

Are you going to post your apple butter recipe?? I’ve got apples from the orchard that need to be used up! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2011

I made another batch yesterday….still want to test out another method!
Yesterday’s was what I like to call ‘naked apple butter’ just apples and 1/4 cup apple juice on the bottom of the slow cooker.
I sliced (but did not peel) apples, threw into slow cooker for 4 hours on high, (it will turn into applesauce after 4 hours), cool slightly, scoop into blender, and blend until caramel-like.
Then I cooked on med-high for another 6-8 hours with the lid ajar.
Turned out beautiful. The only thing is it only made 3/4-1 cup! A tiny, tiny amount for the 5 pounds of apples.
I’m wondering if using more liquid like in some recipes will yield more butter? I’m going to try it once more probably using another recipe.

Sara September 21, 2011

I was planning on being productive this morning… now I’m headed to the kitchen to make oatmeal for the week. :) Thanks!

Jennifer Anchecta September 21, 2011

I love to cook them overnight in the crockpot w/ pumpkin and cinnamon or apple and applesauce. You wake up to the whole house smelling so good. You just toss everything in the crockpot and forget about it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2011

I love doing that too….that was what my first recipe was actually! The only thing I don’t like is cleaning the slow cooker.

Anne Weber-Falk September 21, 2011

It all looks so good. Fabulous post and your photos, especially the Fall Spice variety, look beautiful. I have something new to add to my breakfast routine. Thank you very much.
Peace,
Anne WF

Thanks Anne :)

Cat @Breakfast to Bed September 21, 2011

In the winter I make enough to last the week. I do plain though, so I can flavor differently each day.

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers September 21, 2011

Thanks! That fall spice one won me over, and I haven’t even tried it yet!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie September 21, 2011

I seriously have GOT to switch to steel cut oats…..the less processed the better.

I’m sure my son would love them too.

Living, Learning, Eating September 21, 2011

Your oatmeal bowls look deelish!

Jodie September 21, 2011

Great recipes thanks. Not sure if you knew this but I cam across one of your yummy recipes here: http://vitaljuice.com/entry_detail/recipes/12230/These_no_bake_bites_require_just_one_bowl_.htm

Veggie V! @Veggie V's Vegan Adventure September 21, 2011

I love steel cut oats too, but I don’t make them often due to the time issue. Making ahead is a great idea! I wasn’t sure how well they’d reheat. Glad to know they’re still chewy and not a big ol’ pile of mush (although I do love me some big ol’ piles of mush – on occasion).

Love that you used prunes in something. I love prunes and think they’re a terribly underutilized fruit.

Jessica September 21, 2011

Gah! These oats looks g-oats-tious! lol

Magda September 21, 2011

Love every kind of oatmeal :) I’m going to make Fall Spice tomorrow. I can’t believe you just tried a fresh prune for the first time :D I eat a ton a day when they are in season

Beach Bum Beauty September 21, 2011

You’re turning me into something of an oat addict but I have to say my fave is the chocolate one YUM

Cate September 21, 2011

Gorgeous pictures, as always. :)

OSG, may I ask your favorite brand of vegan chocolate chips?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2011

I buy them in bulk from ontario natural food coop. Their organic dark choco chips :)

Page 3 of 4«1234»