Make-Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes

IMG 2128 thumb   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes IMG 2105 thumb   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal RecipesIMG 2106 thumb   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes IMG 2111 3 thumb   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes

You wouldn’t know it from the plethora of steel-cut oatmeal recipes I have on the blog (one), but steel-cut oats are actually my favourite way to enjoy oatmeal.

The only problem is I’m usually too hungry to wait 30 minutes to eat breakfast. Hence, my obsession with quick breakfasts like Vegan overnight oats, Green Monsters, and rolled oatmeal.

IMG 2086 2 thumb   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes

Oats in review:

Instant Oats have been cooked, dried and rolled and are the most processed way to eat oats. Instant oats are very thin and need only hot liquid to soften. They are ready in about 60 seconds. While they are the most convenient (although some might argue that overnight oats are the most convenient!), they often have a lot of added salt, sugar, and other strange ingredients.

Quick-cooking oats are simply rolled oats that have been cut into smaller pieces. They cook in about 3-4 minutes.

Rolled oats are also known as Old-Fashioned Oats. They have been steamed, pressed with a roller, and dried. Cooking time is between 5-10 minutes. These are the oats that I use in my oatmeal recipes and in some baking recipes.

Steel-cut oats are also known as pinhead oats (pinhead…ha), coarse-cut oats, Irish oats, or Scotch oats. They are oat groats (the inner portion of the oat kernel) that have been cut into 2-3 pieces rather than being steamed and rolled. Steel-cut oats are coarse in texture and remain chewy even after cooking and re-heating. They generally take about 20-25 minutes to cook, although there is a quick-cook overnight method too.

Because steel-cut oats retain their chewy texture after cooking (while rolled oats tend to get mushy), they are the perfect breakfast cereal to make ahead of time and quickly reheat in the morning.

Many of you said you like to make a big batch of steel-cut oats and then enjoy it all week long for quick and easy breakfasts. Once I wrapped my head around actually making the oatmeal at night (I tend to forget!), it occurred to me how much time it can save in the morning. And steel-cut oats reheat very, very well. I actually think that my make-ahead batch tasted better the next morning after the flavours developed a bit more.

IMG 2084 2 thumb   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes

I was feeling inspired after my post on my 5 favourite oatmeal recipes, so I put on my creative oatmeal thinking cap and went to town!

IMG 2089 2 thumb   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes

IMG 2105 thumb1   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes

IMG 2106 2 thumb   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes

IMG 2113 2 thumb   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes

IMG 2111 3 thumb1   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes

IMG 2127 2 thumb   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes

IMG 2128 2 thumb   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes

You are all cordially invited for a steel-cut oatmeal party.

Just don’t be alarmed when you see the bomb that went off in my kitchen…

Amber K September 20, 2011

I wish I could like oats like that! I need mine to be THICK and I haven’t been able to find a way to do so without mixing them with Greek yogurt and letting them sit over night. Then I can pick the whole thing up and eat it like a cookie. I think I just need to start making an oatmeal cookie for breakfast ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011

If you cook the steel cut and then place them into small containers, it will actually firm up so when you remove it from the fridge it will be in the solid shape of your container and just pop right out! Not sure if that is thick enough for you though!

Amber K September 20, 2011

Sounds like I have some experimenting to do!

Danielle September 20, 2011

this sounds great, will definitely be giving it a try. I already love steel cut oats but have actually only eaten them as overnight oats! they are quite chewy but I like it. I tried them on the stovetop once according to the directions on the package……yuck! chef-error I’m sure, I ended up with a sticky mess that went in the garbage :)

Tamikko Gordin September 20, 2011

great recipes! Thank you so much for sharing :)

Ashley@MyFoodNFitnessDiaries September 20, 2011

I loved this post! I’m in love with oatmeal so the recipes you included are great! I also appreciated the explanation between all the different types of oatmeal. I’ve wondered what steel cut oats really were and the differences between the others. Thanks!

Ashley September 20, 2011

Perfect timing! I was just sitting here eating the same bowl of oatmeal I eat most mornings and was thinking I need to change it up. I have never tried steel cut oats before, but I’m excited to. Thanks for the recipes.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 20, 2011

Ange, these recipes look RIDICULOUSLY good!! I like steel cut oatmeal but rarely eat it because it takes so darn long to cook. I think the cinnamon PB swirl and cookie dough would be my favourites. It sounds like you’ve been eating lots of oatmeal lately! :) Have a fantastic afternoon!

Lillian September 20, 2011

Perfect timing! I had a hankering for steelies this morning, so I loooove that you have a whole post devoted to different ways to roll with steel-cut oats. (I took inspiration from your pumpkin pie VOO and made some pumpkin pie steelies — so I have you to thank for a fantastic breakfast!) :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011

I was wondering if it would work with steel cut…glad to hear it was good!

Carolyn @ HealthKitten.com September 20, 2011

YESSSSS!! Chocolate chip cookie dough oats!!!

*dances around chair*

My breakfast for tomorrow is now complete! :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 20, 2011

Great ideas! I love oatmeal in the winter. I did one similar to your berry recipe with just cherries that was great.

Would love to combine your berry and PB swirl ideas for a PB&J oatmeal! :)

suzanne September 20, 2011

These recipes are drool worthy and perfect for this crisp autumn weather! I am going to put my order into the coop for a big bag of the oats! Can you use them to bake as well (like the rolled oats – to add to cookies etc)? I have also had my rice cooker in a cabinet for a few yrs b/c my rice did not come out right with it (though it does not come out right on the stove either – i am beginning to get a rice complex!) – gives me new motivation to try it out again!
Thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011

Hey Suzanne!
I didn’t think you could bake with them, but I was able to find a steel cut cookie recipe (which uses 2 tbsp of steel cut oats) http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Dark-Chocolate-Oatmeal-Cookies-109497 so I guess Im wrong!

AGS September 20, 2011

I’ve tried steel cut oats in baking and was unsuccessful (did not pass the husband test. . . or my test for that matter, though we still ate the cookies). I’m sure there are ways to use them in baking though.

suzanne September 21, 2011

OK – so sounds like only a tbsp or so could work – but not the same as rolled oats where you can use tons! Thanks for the info Angela and AGS!

Sarah E September 20, 2011

I make these for my husband all the time, but I learned a trick a little while ago! Boil the water, add the oats and let them boil for a minute. Turn the heat off and cover them up and leave them overnight. In the morning, just turn the oats back on for about 7-8 minutes! This is when I add in my bananas or natural apple sauce, cinnamon, a little vanilla, some flaxseed meal or wheat germ, and whatever else I want! It saves so much time!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011

I linked to that quick cook trick in the post…great minds think alike! :)
I was going to prepare them that way last night, but then I figured it would be quicker to make 4 batches at once instead of washing a pot each morning. Either way, it’s so much easier than cooking from scratch each time!
Another reader commented that you can soak the steel cut overnight like in vegan overnight oats, so Im going to have to try that out too.

Dutchgirl Sam September 20, 2011

I’m not that into oatmeal, but I love (!!!) your pictures lately. Really pretty and professional looking! Keep up the good work :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011

Aww thanks! I’ve been trying to change it up a bit. :)

Jessica@Glaze September 20, 2011

Love Steel cut oats! I will have to try these recipes. Cinnamon and blueberries gets old after awhile.

raechel @the rebel grrl kitchen September 20, 2011

Your picture labels are beautiful! They really add a nice little “something.” : ) All of these look delicious. Angela’s done it again! : )

katie@ KatieDid September 20, 2011

your posts are so timely! I’m just getting into steel cut oats… I had them for the first time last week and loved them. Usually oats leave me feeling lethargic and with low blood sugar, but I found out steel cut have a lower glycemic index so I gave them a shot and they worked out really well for me! But yes, the time factor is a bit annoying. This is great to know they reheat really well, thanks!

Mariah September 20, 2011

Yum, these look awesome! Angela where do you buy your cocoa nibs? I haven’t been able to find any at my local health food store in waterloo. I also saw your post a few weeks back that had chocolate covered cocoa nibs and i’d also love to get my hands on some of those! Any tips would be appreciated!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011

I buy them at Ontario Natural Food Coop in bulk. I bought the coco covered nibs from bulk barn :) I would imagine they have the plain nibs too? But not positive.
You can also get them at whole foods I think.

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes September 20, 2011

Lovelove!! Haha great recipes and how-to! I am definetly trying out the steel cuts soon :)

Shanna September 20, 2011

Now that the weather is getting cooler I can’t wait to make oatmeal…i love it! A friend turned me onto steel cut oats which I find delicious and usually use in place of old fashioned oats in oatmeal recipes. FYI- in case you didn’t know, Trader Joe’s has quick cooking steel cut oats which don’t have any additional junk in them and cook in about 8-10 mins, making it much more convenient to cook them during the week. They come in a cardboard container just like other oats :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011

Oh that sounds interesting! Good ‘ol TJ’s :) Wish we had them here!

Ali Mc September 20, 2011

Those look sooo good especially beery bliss and cookie dough :D YUM! I’ve never heard of steel cut oats – pinheads (I took fish & wildlife in school and pinheads are also what we call baby fish of minnows) lol

it made me laugh

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011

Im pretty sure im calling them pinheads from now on :D

Tessa @ Amazing Asset September 20, 2011

Thank you for the invitation, this is the greatest post I have read all day :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011

Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy September 20, 2011

Steel Cut oats are my favorite! Thank you for sharing these recipes! All of them look amazing, I will be trying all of these recipes in the very near future!!

Amanda September 20, 2011

All of these look so good Angela! I’ve never had the greatest luck with steel cut oats (although they are also my favorite kind of oat), but I’m inspired to try out these recipes. Making a big batch of oats at the beginning of the week is a fantastic idea, I’m all about saving time in the morning!

Charlie September 20, 2011

I love steel cut oats but can’t wait 30 min in the morning either! I should really try making them ahead of time. And they all look delicious!!

Carissa September 20, 2011

Loooooove oatmeal. I make the steel cut oats in the crockpot cause I have zero patience for stirring them over the stove. I love the topping ideas! I’ve never tried mixing my nut butters with milk or applesauce. I can’t wait to try them!

emily September 20, 2011

i love the sound of all these variations! i guess i’m just gonna have to make them all over the next month. it’s a hard life ;)

Julie September 20, 2011

Another option is to use Heidi Swanson’s method from her cookbook Super Natural Cooking. The night before bring water to a boil and add the steel cut oats. Turn off the water and let sit overnight. They will be ready in the morning.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011

I linked to that method in my post too :) Another fun option!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 20, 2011

Berry almond bliss is happening tomorrow morning in my kitchen! These all look delicious!

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles September 20, 2011

I just love steel cut oats! They’re so much chewier than rolled oats. Thanks for the topping ideas!

Ellie@fitforthesoul September 20, 2011

Such cute photography Angela~I particularly like the Fall Spice picture :D I agree that they take so long! But it seriously helps starting beforehand.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) September 20, 2011

Oh my, that bowl of cookie dough oats looks incredible!! I want to dive in head first, lol.

Andrea P September 20, 2011

Great post! I have always wondered the differences between all the oats and I love steel cut too but they always take so long so I’m going to try this! The chocolate chip cookie dough sounds too delicious!! Thanks Angela :)

Danielle September 20, 2011

Wow – Fall Spice. I WILL be trying this! It not only looks Autumnal, I’ll bet it tastes it too. Great oatmeal idea’s – it’s so easy to get stuck in an oatmeal rut sometimes. Now, I have a different one to try every day of the week :)

Moni'sMeals September 20, 2011

I love this since I seriously eat oatmeal every morning! You are so awesome for all YOUR hard work on this Ang.

I can only imagine… like you said, what your kitchen looks like!

Long live the pinheads!

Kris | iheartwellness.com September 20, 2011

I think my heart just skipped a beat. I am swooning over here over the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough! HELLO!

xxoo

Nicole @ giraffelegs September 20, 2011

can’t stop staring…love oats love them…i think i would bathe in them..

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes September 20, 2011

Ahhhh you have so got me in the mood for Autumn with all of this deliciousness!

Becca September 20, 2011

I was JUST thinking this morning that I need to make a big batch of cooked steel cut oats for the week, rather than saving them for weekends when I have more time to make them fresh. Thank you for laying out the process for me.

Lately I’ve been making VOO with steel cut oats (rather than rolled), leading to a chewy parfait rather than a doughy one.

The cookie dough sauce sounds so yummy. I am going to make it tomorrow (or maybe tonight as part of dessert!).

Erin Hack September 20, 2011

Hi Angela – I love your website and I get so many wonderful ideas and recipes from it! I wanted to share my solution for steel cut oats. I bought a rice cooker with a timer so before I go to bed I load it up with steel cut oats, water, etc. and set the timer so I wake up to wonderfully warm oats. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2011

That’s a great idea!

Eat Hike Sleep Repeat September 20, 2011

Great idea since I find that steel cut oats have more “staying power” than the rolled type. However, mornings require an instant breakfast idea so this fits! I really like the nut butter sauces. My oats are about to get a lot more interesting!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2011

I too find they have more staying power!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 20, 2011

Oh wow, Angela, they all look great…but Cinnamon Peanut Butter Swirl & the cookie dough GLAZE are making me wish I had some oatmeal siting in front of me right about now :)

Page 2 of 4«1234»