Ultra Creamy Red Pepper Hummus & How To Roast Peppers

IMG 1724 thumb   Ultra Creamy Red Pepper Hummus & How To Roast Peppers

Lately, I’ve been doing everything in my power to use up my garden vegetables.

Over the past week I’ve been enjoying Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto, Long Weekend Grilled Salad, Kale Chips, cucumbers and hummus, Weekend Glow Kale Salad, and Chocolate Chip Cookies. To balance out the vegetables of course.

This end of season bounty reminds me of the organic Plan B CSA that we had last summer. There is so much produce to use up!

IMG 1677 thumb   Ultra Creamy Red Pepper Hummus & How To Roast Peppers

I even started gathering “bouquets” of kale and giving it away to friends and neighbors as I beam with pride, “I brought this for you!”

“Oh, you shouldn’t have….really you shouldn’t have.”

I think I might be starting to lose friends.

We’ve been getting a lot of wet and humid weather lately and I realized if I leave the peppers on the plant too long the inside starts to grow mold. Never a good thing to discover when you slice one open!

I knew that I had to use up these beautiful peppers…or bust.

IMG 1679 thumb   Ultra Creamy Red Pepper Hummus & How To Roast Peppers

And because I seem to be obsessed with roasting and grilling things lately, I decided to roast my peppers. Roasting is a great way to “condense” a large amount of vegetables. Kale chips, I’m looking at you!

How To Roast Peppers

Ever roasted peppers before? I used to be scared to try because I thought it was really difficult. You want me to PEEL the skin off? How in the world…?

Turns out, it’s so easy Sketchie could do it! Although, he does have really long claws…

IMG 1700 thumb   Ultra Creamy Red Pepper Hummus & How To Roast Peppers

1. Start by preheating the broil setting on your oven (I used heat setting 4 out of a possible range of 5) and move the rack up to the top or second highest spot. Line a large baking sheet with tinfoil.

2. With a paring knife, carefully slice a circle around the top of the pepper. You can use any type of pepper you prefer! I used bell peppers and banana peppers, as that’s what I grew in my garden.

Discard the inner flesh and seeds as best as you can.

IMG 1685 thumb   Ultra Creamy Red Pepper Hummus & How To Roast Peppers

3. With the cut side down, slice down the middle of the pepper, creating two halves.

IMG 1687 thumb   Ultra Creamy Red Pepper Hummus & How To Roast Peppers

Like so. Remove rest of seeds.

IMG 1688 thumb   Ultra Creamy Red Pepper Hummus & How To Roast Peppers

4. With your hand, SQUASH each piece! Whee!

IMG 1689 thumb   Ultra Creamy Red Pepper Hummus & How To Roast Peppers

I’m sorry for this picture, I really am. I’m a one woman show, clearly.

Squashed!

IMG 1696 thumb   Ultra Creamy Red Pepper Hummus & How To Roast Peppers

5. Place all the flattened pieces onto your baking sheet. I roasted about 6 small peppers, but if using large ones, you could probably use 3?

IMG 1699 thumb   Ultra Creamy Red Pepper Hummus & How To Roast Peppers

P.S.- This baking sheet should be lined with tin foil not parchment- I changed this after I took the photo.

6. Broil for about 10-13 minutes, until blackened. My peppers were in there about 12-13 minutes at broil setting 4.

IMG 1700 thumb1   Ultra Creamy Red Pepper Hummus & How To Roast Peppers

7. This is where your tin foil comes in handy! Carefully wrap up the peppers with the tin foil and let it steam for about 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile, you can prepare your hummus ingredients.

IMG 1702 thumb   Ultra Creamy Red Pepper Hummus & How To Roast Peppers

8. After 15-20 mins, gently peel off the blackened skin. This is why it’s important to really blacken your peppers; the more black the skin gets the easier it is to peel away. It really does come off easy.

IMG 1705 thumb   Ultra Creamy Red Pepper Hummus & How To Roast Peppers

Your discard pile on the left and your delicious roasted peppers on the right:

IMG 1708 thumb   Ultra Creamy Red Pepper Hummus & How To Roast Peppers

Now it’s time to make delicious, creamy roasted red pepper hummus. It’s just what you do!

IMG 1713 thumb   Ultra Creamy Red Pepper Hummus & How To Roast Peppers

IMG 1715 thumb   Ultra Creamy Red Pepper Hummus & How To Roast Peppers

Thanks to the delicious roasted peppers, this is the creamiest and silkiest hummus to come out of my processor!

IMG 1717 thumb   Ultra Creamy Red Pepper Hummus & How To Roast Peppers

I couldn’t get over how smooth it became once I put the roasted peppers in. It was as if I added a half cup of oil, only I didn’t. Yeehaw.

IMG 1719 thumb   Ultra Creamy Red Pepper Hummus & How To Roast Peppers

This counts as lunch, right?

Marijke September 9, 2011

Lunch? I’d eat that for breakfast, lunch and dinner!

Perhaps a few of your vegan chocolate chip cookies along with the kale would sweeten your neighbours up?

Christina September 9, 2011

Roasted red pepper hummus is my FAV!!! It really does have a smokey flavor and is extra creamy. I think I’m due for a new batch soon ;) Happy Friday!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 9, 2011

awww smokey is the word I was looking for!!! LOL

Eat Hike Sleep Repeat September 9, 2011

Delicious! I buy roasted red pepper hummus on a regular basis. Hmmm, why buy it when it looks easy to make? Great recipe. Thanks!

Ashley September 9, 2011

My boyfriend loves roasting red peppers! So this hummus will pretty much be the next best thing we’ll start making. :)

Amanda @ AmandaRunsNY September 9, 2011

I had no idea that you have to peel off the skin to make roasted peppers like in the stores and restaurants! thanks for sharing

Andrea @ Vegvacious September 9, 2011

I love variations on hummus – can’t wait to try this!!! You have the cutest little dishes & bowls – I’ve been thinking about checking out all the local thrift stores to see if I can find some new dishware to update my collection!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 9, 2011

Thanks Andrea! I think the thrift stores is a great idea. I bought some stuff at the antique market this summer and it was dirt cheap.

Jeanine September 9, 2011

Love roasted red peppers and this is my fav way to make hummus and doing it all summer. Recently switched it up instead of chickpeas used red lentils and turned out super yummy! Thanks for sharing your way to raost peppers sounds so much easier than the way I have been doing it.

Moni'sMeals September 9, 2011

How did you know!?

this is one of my favorite(or you would say “favourite”-sp) hummus flavors and roasted red bells…I live for! I could eat them raw actaully non-stop too. :)

Totally lunch!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 9, 2011

I’m here for you girl! ;)

Diana September 9, 2011

Thanks so much! I just love your blog. I’ve made several of your recipes, and have loved all of them. I made a batch of your “the hummus that changed everything” a few weeks ago. It was awesome. I was thinking I’d like to make it with roasted red peppers because that’s usually my favorite hummus if I buy it. Then you posted this recipe…it’s like you were reading my mind. :)

Thank you Angela, for your wonderful blog and fabulous recipes!

Fanta September 9, 2011

Every time I read your blog while I’m at work and every time it makes me hungry! :)

Danielle @weightsandmeasures September 9, 2011

Looks amazing and sounds even better. I have tried roasting peppers before but the skin did not come off so easy. I did not do the wrap and steam method though, so that would likely help ALOT! I will definitely try this soon!

Aleisha September 9, 2011

Too funny — I just made a batch of roasted red pepper hummus before I sat down to read your blog this morning! I don’t have any red peppers in my garden, though, so I used a jar. Not quite the same effect, I think. Next time I’ll buy some fresh ones and try your roasting method. Looks delicious!

Ashley September 9, 2011

Roasted peppers are one of my favorite things everrr. And roasted tomatoes. Roasted red pepper + tomato soup? I think so! Oh and yes…that is definitely considered lunch. Great tutorial!

Dutchgirl Sam September 9, 2011

Sounds delicious!
Love it, love it, will make it this weekend. Yummm. Thanks Angela!

Alexis @ hummusapien September 9, 2011

You make the most beautiful hummus! I love the sprinkling of paprika on top. Hummus for sure counts as lunch…it’s been my breakfast and dinner before, too!

Brittany *Sparkles* September 9, 2011

Thank you for the tips on roasting peppers this looks delicious!

Vanessa @ Loving the Sweet LIfe September 9, 2011

Brilliant, I have a few bell peppers still on the plants that I’m dying to use before they start to rot. Thanks for the inspiration, that hummus looks incredible!

Ashley September 9, 2011

I’m so jealous of all the vegetables coming out of your garden! I really wanted to have a garden this year, but we moved in the middle of the summer. :(

This hummus looks SO GOOD! Definitely going to be making it soon.

Emilia @ Namaste Gurl September 9, 2011

I’ve always been scared to roast my own peppers- that’s why I depend on organic store bought ones :) I’ve been wanting to learn, so this couldn’t come at better timing :) Perfect to whip up this weekend for the long school week ahead!

Katherine September 9, 2011

I would LOVE to get a bouquet of kale! I joked to my husband this week that I don’t want flowers for my birthday but would gladly take a bouquet of beautiful curly kale!

Ellie@fitforthesoul September 9, 2011

Mmmmm I’m sure this is delicious! Omgoodness Angela! Last night I roughly followed your recipe from memory for the roasted tomato pesto, and then my own chapatii (or naan), and made a pizza out of it!! it was soooooooooo gooooood~~Even my parents said they loved it! Usually they’re picky when it comes to anything outside of the Korean dishes we eat.

Liz @ IHeartVegetables September 9, 2011

I never knew how to roast peppers! I’m totally going to try this! And I LOVE hummus so I need to try this recipe!

Amber K September 9, 2011

That looks amazing! And seems so much simpler than I thought it’d be.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 9, 2011

Thanks for the pepper roasting step by step photos…and that hummus…looks so good. And I can feel my sinuses opening from here: garlic, red peppers, cayenne, lemon juice, red pepper flakes…yep, I’d say so :)

It looks great! And good work with the photos b/c sometimes it can be challenging (For me at least) to get a bowl of dip to just SHINE and be a superstar…and you totally did!

Jennifer September 9, 2011

I love roasted red pepper anything!! Thank you for this.

Amy S. September 9, 2011

Roasted red pepper is one of my favorite hummus flavors so I’ll definitely be recreating this!! Do you reserve 2 tbsp of chickpea liquid or 4?

Lauren (PB&G) September 9, 2011

Awesome tutorial! I have always roasted them on the stovetop and seeded them later but this idea seems much easier! Now I just have to grow some patience to wait for them in the oven..

Tichina September 9, 2011

Well as Mr. Rogers once said… “please won’t you be my neighbor :)” haha I would love to have fresh veggies hand delivered to me! All I seem to get are men offering me alarm systems or asking for my vote :(.
Great post! I made roasted red pepper soup this summer. At first peeling the skin seemed intimidating, but you’re right it’s not all that bad!

Nicole @ PancakesandPilates September 9, 2011

This is brilliant. I wish I had an over abundance of produce issue. I would be grilling and chopping the days away. (Okay, in my dreams. My office mate would probably be annoyed with all the sounds and smells.)

As usual, gorgeous pictures! Seriously, Angela. I am blown away every time. I need to start thinking of better photo gawking comments. I am still thinking about those cookie pics :)

Jesse September 9, 2011

I would happy accept a kale bouquet, so much tastier than flowers! I have been hummus obsessed lately so I can’t wait to try this recipe. I also really like the new banner/header.

Lauren September 9, 2011

I love your idea of using the foil to wrap the peppers in steam pocket! I usually place them in a bowl and cover in saran.. but it wastes more + more dirty dishes (yuck!) Great Idea!!

Question, have you ever tried roasting spicy peppers for Mexican type dishes? Just wondering because I usually leave the seeds in the peppers while roasting thinking it would infuse some of the ‘spice’ into the pepper, but I could be wrong. Anyone know?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 10, 2011

No I haven’t but that’s a good question.

April September 9, 2011

I like your Kale story. That’s cute. That’s a neat way to roast red peppers. I have never done it that way. It looks easier than doing them whole on the stove top which is how I do it. I will have to try it your way. Your recipe for humus is similar to mine except I like to add a touch of cumin. Happy Friday! :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 9, 2011

You can bring me over a bouquet of kale any day! ;)

Bev Weidner September 9, 2011

Seriously, is there any room in that hummus for my ENTIRE HEAD?

Ashley September 9, 2011

That looks amazing and so creamy! I wish I had a bowl of this to have for lunch today.

Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner September 9, 2011

oh wow.. i think i’m going to make this!! it looks soo good. I like your step-by-step explanation :)

Danielle September 9, 2011

So strange – I literally just made Roasted Red Pepper Hummus 2 days ago – and it was definitely the best hummus I’ve ever made! I have a question for you about how you make your hummus – I’ve only made it with canned chickpeas, and I usually dont cook them first – but the last time I made them I cooked and peeled them and it turned out SO incredibly creamy and delicious. Im not sure if this is because they were cooked or because I peeled them. . Do you ever peel them? And have you ever used dry chickpeas?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 10, 2011

I’ve heard that the secret to creamy hummus is peeling the skin, so I think that’s probably why! How did you peel it?

Danielle September 10, 2011

Well about that . . lol – It took forever! First I soaked them and you kinda pinch them out of their shell, then I decided to boil them good because I thought that would help, though I’m not so sure it did. . but there MUST be an easier way!

Emily September 9, 2011

Yum, I’ve always wanted to make my own roasted red pepper hummus! Do you cook your own chickpeas or used canned?

Lena September 9, 2011

Adding this immediately to the rotation. I love experimenting with new hummuses (hummi?) in the store, but I’ve never had the guts to do it when I’m making it myself in the food processor.

Plus, now I can figure out how to use the broiler in my super-old-school 20s-era oven.

Anna @ The Guiltless Life September 9, 2011

Yum! Do you think this could easily be made as regular hummus (not the biggest fan of roasted red pepper flavour but have wanted a creamy hummus recipe for ages!). Thanks Andrea :).

Page 2 of 4«1234»