Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

IMG 1422 2 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

We haven’t been this excited about a dinner recipe in a long time.

IMG 1463 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

Probably not since the 15 Minute Creamy Avocado Pasta, which Eric said – in between shoveling this pasta in his mouth – is “not as good as this roasted tomato pesto recipe”.

I didn’t believe it, but after tasting and then devouring my own bowl of pesto (ok, there was some pasta in there too), I may have to agree with him. This is by far, the best pesto I’ve made or perhaps ever tasted.

IMG 1424 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

Don’t be put off by the colour, I promise it tastes much better than it looks. ;)

We enjoyed it so much, I made two batches over the long weekend and froze some for a later date. In January, there will be no tears over tasteless tomatoes as long as I have this pesto waiting for us!

IMG 1466 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

If I can wait that long to eat it, that is.

Outlook not good.

IMG 1465 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

IMG 1415 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

I decided to roast the tomatoes first to give the pesto a really deep flavour. So glad I did!!

First, I drizzled them with olive oil and sprinkled them with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.

IMG 1419 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

Into the pre-heated oven they went at 400F for about 1 hour and 10 minutes. The longer they roast, the more delicious they become. The bottoms will be blackened slightly, but not to worry as it only enhances the flavour.

IMG 1422 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

After cooling slightly, I ate one straight off the pan. And I almost burned my mouth off, but it was so worth it. I’m surprised that the rest of them made it into the processor!

IMG 1431 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

While the processor blade is spinning, add two garlic cloves. Let it whirl around until the garlic is chopped. Next, add 1 cup of tightly packed basil and process. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spoon. With the processor on, add in 1/4 cup oil, 1.5 cups of roasted tomatoes, nutritional yeast (optional), and salt and pepper to taste. Pulse in the toasted almonds.

I’m loving this olive oil right now:

IMG 1121 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

IMG 1423 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

This pesto is so delicious it’s unreal.

This was my first batch and I used 1 cup of roasted tomatoes, but I suggest using 1.5 cups of roasted tomatoes as I did in my second batch. You get more bang for your buck!

IMG 1424 thumb1   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

If you want to be a fancy pants, you can Chiffonade the basil for garnishing on top of the pasta. “Chiffon” is French for “rag” which is what the basil will look like when you’re finished.

IMG 1435 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

How to Chiffonade basil:

1. Grab a few basil leaves (you can use spinach or any leafy vegetable for future reference)

IMG 1437 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

2. Stack them on top of one another like so.

IMG 1440 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

3. Now roll it up all the way.

IMG 1445 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

4. Grab a sharp knife and slice tiny 1mm cuts through the rolled up basil.

IMG 1451 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

Do not slice finger off as it looks like I’m about to do in the above photo. That would not be good.

Repeat until you’ve sliced through all of it. The basil, not your finger.

IMG 1452 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

5. With your (in tact) fingers, gently separate the basil into its ‘rag-like’ pieces and sprinkle over top of your dish.

IMG 1455 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

And if you handle them as long as I did to get these photos, they will really look like rags!

You are now a fancy pants.

IMG 1456 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

It is your mission to go on and enjoy those deliciously sweet tomatoes that are waiting for you.

Just don’t forget to freeze some for the Winter!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 6, 2011

Oh wow this looks amazing! It would taste awesome on sandwiches too. And on pizza. And by the spoonful. ;)

Anna @ The Guiltless Life September 6, 2011

This looks delicious! I can’t wait to try it for my blog – I’ll give full credit, of course. And mouth-watering photos too, wow!

Trainer Kjirsten @ Balanced Healthy Life September 6, 2011

This looks like a great and easy to make recipe! I’ll definetly be trying out this recipe soon, maybe over the weekend! I’m trying to find a great Sunday football recipe to make for the hubs! I think he would love this as would I!!!

Sweet and Savvy September 6, 2011

This recipe is absolutely delicious looking! :) I have actually never tried pesto. I may have to change that with this dish!

Kristy H September 6, 2011

OMG! love pesto, I want this for breakfast!

Nd September 6, 2011

Just stumbled across your website and really glad I did. This is the best website for vegan recipes that I have seen thus far. Thank you.
Question though, in this recipe, it calls for Roma tomatoes, but the tomatoes in the pictures look more like grape tomato size. And since the recipe only makes 1 cup of pesto, I was confused. Can you clarify?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

Yup they are large roma tomatoes…pics are deceiving at times!

Maria September 6, 2011

We have a lot of basil in our garden! I know what I am making. Thank you!

Melissa September 6, 2011

Angela- Perfect timing! I had a gigantic basket of tomatoes staring at me this afternoon which I had no idea what to do with. Just made the pesto and downed it for dinner….DELICIOUS!

Moni'sMeals September 6, 2011

I think I could eat this EVERYDAY! I love roasted tomatoes and basil.

I love your lil demo on the basil. :) I learned that only a few years ago…I also love to just tear it up for a rustic feel. :)

worldbysmith September 6, 2011

just ridiculous…i mad.i ate.i was satisfied. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

worldbysmith September 6, 2011

oops correct . I MADE…not mad :( pesto hangover…

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

hehe

Lisa (bakebikeblog) September 6, 2011

oh my – how very wonderful!!!!!

Angela September 6, 2011

Love this post. It’s like you read my mind! I had been wondering if there was a way of making a tomato pesto that wasn’t too high in fat as pesto & pasta is a treat meal in my house. Can’t wait to try this!

Laura September 6, 2011

This looks like a creation one of my foreign italien relatives would make if I wen to visit :)
My next sandwich should include pesto

Ashley September 6, 2011

Just loving the simple photos. Beautiful! Great basil cutting tutorial as well. I go in such waves of creating dinners, or breakfasts, desserts, etc. It’s really funny. Some weeks we eat all quick meals, like tortilla pizzas and some weeks it’s more planned out like this. Either way…yum to this meal!

sara September 6, 2011

This pasta is oh-so-pretty…what gorgeous photos! Definitely want to make this…yum!! :)

Alyne September 6, 2011

does everyone have their own GIANT basil plants?! mine is small and if i ravaged the whole thing wouldn’t have a cup of basil!

im DYING for pesto, but where do people get frash basil that doesn’t cost a thousand dollars? it’s SO EXPENSIVEEE at the grocery store. what should i expect to pay???

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

family and neighbours give me their basil! Im hooked up…but yea I agree that it’s expensive at the store.

Brittany @ Runwithbritt September 6, 2011

Wow, you always have a way with creating a twist on classic favorites! I cannot wait to try this on the weekend! I think it may win my guy friends over :)

Shady September 6, 2011

I bought a basket of field tomatoes today and carried them home from the grocery store thinking, literally, I wish I could find a way to save these for January when the tomatoes come from thousands of miles away and are completely flavorless. And lo and behold! This recipe was in my google reader when I got home. I just ate it served over a tofu scramble for dinner and it was delicious. Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

Glad you enjoyed it! :)

Alexis (hummusapien) September 6, 2011

This looks beautiful! Can’t wait to make it!

jennie in wonderland September 6, 2011

made it tonight! it was DELICIOUS. i ate it straight out of the food processor for a while (lol) and then over hot kamut spaghetti. ’twas baller.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

heh sounds like me :)

kaila @ healthy helper! September 6, 2011

I have been obsessed with pesto lately!! Especially yours!!! This recipe looks incredible!

Katie September 6, 2011

O.M.G. this looks fantastic and soo yummy!

Deb L. September 6, 2011

That looks amazing ~ can’t wait to make it!! My stomach is already growling…

Trisha September 6, 2011

Have you ever canned your pesto and if you have how would you go about doing it??? Have lots of tomatoes and looking for things to do with them.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

I haven’t canned before…but I’m sure there are tutorials online to help you! Good luck :)

Sam September 6, 2011

Oh my god this looks so good. I am making a roasted tomato and garlic soup tomorrow. I WISH I had enough tomatoes to make this too!! They are grown in my parents garden…I wonder if I could yank a few more for this deliciousness!

Kiah September 6, 2011

That looks absolutely de-vine.

B'klynHeart September 6, 2011

That looks gorgeous and heavenly! Thank the interweb stars that lead me to VOO and to your blog… can’t wait to try this!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

lol that made me chuckle ;) Hope you enjoy it!

Angela @ Momethis September 6, 2011

I just read your blog, just read your story, just read this recipe, and now I’m hooked. Adding you to my favorites.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

aww thank you!

Max@flavortogofast September 6, 2011

looks even better than my new favorite Thai Bangkok Pesto from the farmer’s market!

lucy September 7, 2011

Hello lunch! Can’t wait to try this out- thank you, Angela!

sharon September 7, 2011

this will definitely be made this sunday! sunday night=pasta at our house

jess white September 7, 2011

this looks delicious! roasted tomatoes are so delicious. thank you thank you thank you for something that is so simple yet looks so refined.

Sarah @ Sarah's Modern Bites September 7, 2011

Angela… your vegan pasta sauces NEVER fail to impress me.. or my dairy meat loving boyfriend! We just adorded your avocado ‘cream’ sauce and if this is BETTER than that and tastes as divine as it looks… well we are in for a treat! Cannot wait! Would this make for a good cold pasta dish you think. I have been obsessed with pasta salad lately… cold food in general :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 7, 2011

Thank you Sarah, I hope you enjoy this one too!

You wouldn’t know it, but I was never a pasta fan until I started making my own sauces…maybe one day I can make my own pasta too. ;)

LizAshlee September 7, 2011

Captivating photos and the pesto just looks beyond words delicious!!

I love tomato basil!!!

AGS September 7, 2011

I haven’t made roasted tomatoes in ages — I love roasting them with slivered garlic. They are great as a side dish (hot or cold), and of course in sauces!! You inspired me yesterday, but I had no tomatoes, so instead I made pasta with roasted eggplant and mushroom-garlic tepenade.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 7, 2011

Roasting the garlic is a great idea!!! I’ll have to try this next time I make it. :)

Jessica September 7, 2011

Hi!
I just started following you. I found you through a blog that a friend was reading through a blog post on that persons blog about your green monster.
My three year old is so hard to feed breakfast but he loves smoothies and we have done it with veggies before and he still drinks it. The green monster sounded really good, so we got what we didn’t have at whole foods yesterday, and we just made it this morning. I couldn’t put mine down. It tastes more like a milkshake, and the kiddo loves it too! It’s so creamy. I have to admit I expected it to taste a little more leafy….amazing! I’m 34 weeks pregnant too, so this is a great healthy breakfast for me too!
I will eventually do a post on this on my blog, (and I will link to yours giving you all the credit, if you don’t mind) I don’t want to keep this secret that I’ve found!
Thank you Thank you!
Can’t wait to try the tomato basil pesto next week!!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 7, 2011

Jessica, that’s wonderful to hear! Congrats on your pregnancy too. :)

Cindy September 7, 2011

Yum, yum, yum, I want a bowl for lunch.

Annie @ On a Back Burner September 7, 2011

Hi, I’ve been reading your blog since stumbling upon the chocolate avocado torte while looking up cake recipes for my roommate’s birthday. WOW does this look good!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 7, 2011

Thanks Annie :) I hope you enjoy it if you end up making it…it’s one of our favs.

Sandi September 7, 2011

Absolute success. This was my husband’s very first all vegan dinner, and he loved it. I had some sliced flank steak from a previous dinner at the ready in case he started shaking, but he turned it down! Perhaps my telling him about your husband’s story (and weight loss) helped in not having meat all the time. I think many times our diets as adults are just what we grew up with and haven’t challenged. Looking forward to new concoctions for dinner, thanks for sharing!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 7, 2011

I’m smiling reading this!! Thank you for sharing, that’s wonderful news. :)

When I met Eric, he wouldn’t eat any vegetables except perhaps frozen peas or carrots. It’s amazing how tastes can grow and change after repeated exposure! lol

Page 3 of 6«12345»...Last »