Long Weekend Grilled Salad

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on September 2, 2011

IMG_1380-2

As much as I love Fall, the dog days of summer are still so bittersweet.

And a bit awkward.

Early September you can find me…

• Wide-eyed in horror after an orange leaf spotting
  • Complaining of the heat and humidity while I rip off a layer of sheets in bed
  • So far resisting the urge to buy new school supplies…15 cent notebooks? Come on.
  • Saying things like, “I don’t know what’s worse weeding or raking leaves”
  • and, “Tropical vacation this winter, or bust.”
  • and also, “How many years have we been out of school now?”
  • Putting on my fleece robe only to rip it off 5 minutes later after a tea-induced hot flash.

Thankfully, the last long weekend is a great time to turn on the BBQ, get outside, and enjoy the last flavours that summer has to offer. No f word required.

IMG_1352

Unless your man burns his finger rotating the vegetables. I’m not mentioning any names.

And plus, the leaves on the ground are clearly confused because this flower tells me it’s still summer!!

20100926IMG_3443

Either that, or it could be about 2 hours from death. It may also be dead in this photo, I can’t be sure.

Confused seasons aside, this grilled salad makes a healthy compliment to any long weekend gathering. It’s easy to throw together and you can even get your man to pitch in while you spend “hours” on the salad dressing. Or at least, that’s what you’ll tell him while you sip a margarita with your girlfriends after spending just a few minutes on the dressing.

It will be our little secret.

IMG_1389

Simply grill the vegetables (or you could probably roast them in the oven too).

IMG_1351

Mix together in a large bowl with beans,

IMG_1358

Add in some cooked grains if desired. I used wheatberries.

IMG_1361-2

Whisk together your salad dressing!

IMG_1364

Easy stuff!

IMG_1370-2

But don’t worry we won’t tell anyone.

Add the dressing on top and mix well!

IMG_1372-2

Chug Sip margarita.

Season generously with salt (I used Herbamare) and freshly ground black pepper.

IMG_1376

It’s basically a multivitamin in a bowl. Which is always a good thing if you plan on enjoying your share of treats and drinks this long weekend like I do…muhauha.

IMG_1385

Have a fun, delicious, and safe long weekend everyone! Sun

Jess September 2, 2011 at 9:33 am

Wow, I need to try this! Grilled corn is one of my favorite summer treats :)

Sara September 2, 2011 at 9:36 am

Early September is a strange time of year for me as well. I start dreaming about fresh cranberries coming which I think about ALL year long. It’s also my birthday today but I don’t have many plans for the long weekend, excepts perhaps make that salad, or at the least grill some corn because that sounds great!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 2, 2011 at 9:37 am

Happy Birthday Sara!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 2, 2011 at 9:39 am

I put a sweatshirt on this morning upon waking only to walk downstairs, drink a sip of coffee and rip it off b/c I was too hot. I hear ya.
I love that you’re not giving in quite yet to the pumpking everything, we still have 20 more days of summer! Delicious looking salad. Have a great weekend :)

Lauren at Keep It Sweet September 2, 2011 at 9:39 am

Ha I love how you describe these few weeks where weather changes! It is that time when you want to put on your cute fall clothes but really it is too hot for that. Great weekend salad, enjoy your labor day!

Estela @ Weekly Bite September 2, 2011 at 9:42 am

I feel the same way about summer… its so bittersweet.

That salad looks perfect :)

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods.com September 2, 2011 at 9:42 am

Man, this makes me wish we had a grill! Love this colorful salad! Looks so tasty!

Kate September 2, 2011 at 9:42 am

ooh I just got some corn in my CSA now I know what to do with it!!

Cara September 2, 2011 at 9:43 am

Wow that is so beautiful. I think i might be giving that a try this weekend!

Sweet and Savvy September 2, 2011 at 9:44 am

This looks amazing! :) I totally relate with the idea of being horrified by leaf changing! I Do the same thing!

Chloe (In Fine Feather) September 2, 2011 at 9:44 am

This dish looks AMAZING – I need to find a BBQ as soon as possible! Hopefully I can mooch off one of my new friends I’ve made in Atlanta :) It’s perfect grilling weather here!

H-woman September 2, 2011 at 9:45 am

I think I’ve just found what I’m making for dinner! This looks absolutely delicious! Happy Long Weekend!

Ritika September 2, 2011 at 9:47 am

Such beautiful colors! I love these nutritious meals you post!

I have a question for you Angela! A new friend of mine has her birthday next week. I want to bake her a dessert (cupcakes?), but not something that will taste “healthy”. (That taste is fine for me but I think she will need more sweetener) Do you have any recommendations from your recipes?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 2, 2011 at 10:06 am

My fav cupcakes of all time are these chocolate ones: http://ohsheglows.com/2011/03/08/vegan-chocolate-cupcakes-with-vanilla-almond-frosting-and-raspberry-glaze/

perfect every time!

Ritika September 2, 2011 at 10:29 am

Thanks Angela! I forgot about that recipe!

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove September 2, 2011 at 9:49 am

This is perfect for tonight! Our backyard has so many peppers and zucchinis that we don’t know what to do with them all (well, now I know!).

Bethany September 2, 2011 at 9:49 am

You crack me up! I love your humor!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 2, 2011 at 10:06 am

I hope Eric reads this.

Cat @Breakfast to Bed September 2, 2011 at 9:50 am

it’s such a pretty salad. I bet it would be super impressive at a picnic!

K September 2, 2011 at 9:50 am

This looks delish!! A must try!

Heather @ Better With Veggies September 2, 2011 at 9:54 am

Perfect timing for this recipe! We are headed to my parent’s house this weekend and this will be the first time visiting them where I’m not eating meat. This is the perfect dish for me to bring along in my continued effort to show them I am still eating healthy, yummy food.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 2, 2011 at 10:06 am

I hope you enjoy it!

Carolyn @ HealthKitten.com September 2, 2011 at 10:01 am

I’m weeping to the end of summer! While I love fall, it seems in the upper Midwest, that lovely fall weather doesn’t last and then we’re stuck with eons (it feels that way by February) of winter. I think this year will be the year we finally take our tropical vacation in the middle of winter!

I’m going to make my own take on this salad this weekend: quinoa, roasted corn, red pepper, black beans, cilantro, and kale in a zingy red chili/lime dressing.

And the margaritas! How could I forget? Need to get some tequila tonight…!

Have a fab weekend!

Alex @ Raw Recovery September 2, 2011 at 10:05 am

Looks delicious! I always get really sad when seasons end. I’m starting to get really sad that summer is basically over, but I know when fall rolls around and I can decorate for Halloween and sip hot chocolate and tea I’ll feel better.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 2, 2011 at 10:07 am

oh yes thank goodness for Halloween, heh. I have a box of decorations from the dollarstore just waiting to bust out!

Girl in the pink September 2, 2011 at 10:05 am

Ahhh so depressing to think about how long I’ve been out of school!! I think I’m coming up on my ten year highschool reunion – yikes! Time flies! Anyways… This salad looks deliscious! I think I might try tonight!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 2, 2011 at 10:07 am

I think we are too…but we refuse to actually verify this..

Carolyn @ HealthKitten.com September 2, 2011 at 10:12 am

I just had my 20 year reunion last weekend! Now I feel old… ;-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 2, 2011 at 11:46 am

I try to see it as being wiser than I used to be…heh ;)

Alisha September 2, 2011 at 10:08 am

Are you supposed to roast the corn in the husk or out of it?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 2, 2011 at 11:46 am

Without the husk, I’ll add that in

Nicole September 2, 2011 at 10:10 am

Oh that looks delicious! Still celebrating all that summer offers but in a tiny way, totally implying that fall is coming. We just all don’t want to admit it yet. And hey – we’re off to OBX this weekend so I’m with you on no fall discussions yet!

Sarah September 2, 2011 at 10:12 am

This looks fantastic! Can’t wait to give it a try!

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans September 2, 2011 at 10:20 am

That salad looks amazing…as in I need to make it right now amazing!

Have a great long weekend Angela :)

Allison September 2, 2011 at 10:22 am

I wish we were in that transition from summer to fall down here in AZ! It’s just plain hot so there is no confusion at the moment. We can’t wait to get out and grill in another month or two. This salad will definitely be at the top of the list! However, the margaritas are a must-have now!

Beach Bum Beauty September 2, 2011 at 10:23 am

OK, so I know I’m supposed to be commenting on the delicious looking salad but those bowls are b e a u t i ful!

lynn @ the actor's diet September 2, 2011 at 10:28 am

love the colors! have a great weekend

Ann Marie September 2, 2011 at 10:31 am

Wow, I’m so glad I came across your blog (saw it mentioned on Karla’s Closet)! This salad looks so delicious and that gingerbread smoothie sounds amazing – I can’t wait to try these and more! Plus your garden is to die for — no wonder why you look so glow-y in your picture :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 2, 2011 at 11:45 am

Thanks Ann Marie! Enjoy the recipes :)

Shelley @ MileHighHealthy September 2, 2011 at 10:33 am

What a beautiful salad. Your food photography is so vibrant and tantalizing that I may or may not be drooling at my computer right now!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 2, 2011 at 11:50 am

thanks Shelley :)

amy @ inspiredamy September 2, 2011 at 10:36 am

i loooooove grilled corn ! my favorite way to have it is to grill it with grainy mustard smeared on the kernals, it sounds so simple, but honestly, it takes like butter, so yummy :)

Beth September 2, 2011 at 10:39 am

Oh, that looks so good.

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh September 2, 2011 at 10:45 am

We’ve only got 2 weeks left on our farmers markets so this will be perfect! But gotta say, I’m READY for real Fall, not this triple digit stuff Mother Nature is doling out for my birthday. BOO!!

Have a great holiday weekend!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 2, 2011 at 11:50 am

Happy Birthday! Hope it’s as cool as you hope it would be ;)

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com September 2, 2011 at 10:46 am

Need to get some corns for grilling before summer is completely out of sight. That looks so delicious, Angela :)

Laura September 2, 2011 at 10:46 am

Sad party: pansies (the cheerful little flower in your pic) thrive in cool weather. Fall is really on its way in southern Ontario. I refuse to accept it. *scampers away in short shorts with a glass of lemonade*

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 2, 2011 at 11:49 am

that explains it! lol. Oh man…I’ll take a lemonade too!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 2, 2011 at 10:47 am

This is beautiful Ange! Love all the pops of bright colourful veggies. I have a feeling you’re just like me when it comes to school supplies – it’s SO hard for me to walk into Staples and not buy anything!!!! Have a fantastic long weekend! :)

[email protected] September 2, 2011 at 10:48 am

Yum, so fun and colorful!! The transitions between the seasons are so rough here in New England. Yesterday it was 55* in the morning and 90* in the afternoon!

[email protected] September 2, 2011 at 10:58 am

So refreshing! Do you eat this warm or cold? I think I would like it chilled! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 2, 2011 at 11:49 am

You can eat it both ways! It’s luke warm when serving immediately but I also like it cold, as indicated by me eating it for breakfast this morning…shhhh lol

melody polakow: Vegan for 3.33 a day September 2, 2011 at 10:59 am

This looks perfect.

Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes September 2, 2011 at 11:10 am

What a great name! Love long weekends. They all look super yummy too!

Jess September 2, 2011 at 11:23 am

Gorgeous! Have a great long weekend : )

Ashley September 2, 2011 at 11:24 am

BAH! I pretty much forgot it was Labor Day Weekend and have no fun food to post! haha Silly me! This salad looks fantabulous. Grilled corn pretty much makes any meal! Yu-um!

Holly @ The Runny Egg September 2, 2011 at 11:34 am

That salad looks so fresh and delicious!

I am with you — the ‘almost done with summer but not quite fall’ time of year is crazy — the weather is great one day, cold the next, who knows!

Amber K September 2, 2011 at 11:41 am

That looks so comforting and inviting. The perfect thing for an awkward between-season time.

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes September 2, 2011 at 11:44 am

September is a funky month in Ontario for sure! I know I am prone to alot of wonky weather behaviours ;) Great looking salad, perfect for those precious last days of summa!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries September 2, 2011 at 11:45 am

That salad + a margarita sounds perfect this weekend! I’m doin’ it!

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance September 2, 2011 at 11:49 am

How did you know that my long weekend was in need of a salad like this, Angela? ;)

Amy @ The Whole Sweet Scoop September 2, 2011 at 11:56 am

Ah, the tea induced heat flash. I know this one all too well :)
This looks delicious! I’m going to miss my summer veggies..

Jessica September 2, 2011 at 12:17 pm

The last hoorah of wonderful produce! :)/:(

Andrea B. @ Vegvacious September 2, 2011 at 12:22 pm

You’re using all my fave grilled veggies for this — I think it would be really good with quinoa too! I must say that I absolutely adore the warm days/cool nights of Fall, but I hate what’s looming behind it! I’ve heard Southern Ontario’s in for an unusually warm September and I’m super happy about that!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 2, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Yes quinoa would be great!

Mary September 2, 2011 at 12:34 pm

That looks ridiculously delicious!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 2, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Thanks Mary!

Bev Weidner September 2, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Really, I am doing my best to NOT lick the screen and look like a crazy lunatic.

Miriam September 2, 2011 at 1:00 pm

I am just very curious about roasting some corn… I’ve never done that… Us -french canadians- we do steam or (most likely) boil our corn. I’ve never seen anyone in my entire life putting them on a bbq (and im 29). So, my question is : what does that taste like and how are we doing it (how long it has to cook on a bbq)??? I’d like to try that sometime :)

Mandy @ The Fat Girl's Guide to Life September 2, 2011 at 1:07 pm

That looks delish! And so colorful.

I’m really learning that this “throw stuff together just because it’s good for you even though it isn’t any particular recipe and doesn’t take a long time” kind of eating is really pretty cool. :) I used to think (one short month ago before I started blogging for weight loss) that everything I cooked had to take a long time to be called “cooked with love” or whatever.

I’m loving this new way of eating. And this recipe is at the top of that list. I’m gonna try it! Thanks!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit September 2, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Again with the fall talk. Stop! hehe It’s cold here in Calgary today. The bright blue sky tricks you until you get outside and realize it’s not so warm anymore. *tear*
I think you should do another photography post for us all! I swear I see some strobe lighting, maybe flash work (??) on some of these pictures. I’ve been having such a struggle with lighting lately. Would love to hear how you manage!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 2, 2011 at 10:17 pm

I actually haven’t been using anything for my photography lately…just the tripod and a window. :) I was using my reflector, but not lately (lazy!). Just changing up the windows I’ve been using occasionally. It’s amazing how the lighting differs in different rooms and times of day without doing anything else.

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit September 3, 2011 at 11:01 am

Really? Wow.. I need the windows in your house! I need to get another reflector. My reflector doubles as a diffuser. But when I’m using the diffuser I can’t use the reflector. Man, this photography stuff. There’s so much to learn. Thanks for reminding me that we can keep things simple and still create great shots!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 3, 2011 at 11:35 am

haha I think we have the same 5 in 1 reflector/diffuser?? I have the same problem. Sometimes I will prop up the diffuser, set the timer (10 seconds or 2 secs depending on how much time I need) then I hold up the reflector (with nothing inside it, just the outer sheet!) on the other side. Thats only if its a reaaaly bad lighting day otherwise I don’t bother! If the walls could talk eh? ;)

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit September 3, 2011 at 5:43 pm

yup! That’s the one. I think I’ve done the ‘quick grab the reflector sheet and stand on the other side of the food’ trick. We have a big window that I shoot at… my neighbors are always giving me a hard time. Lucky for you your walls can’t talk and you’re far enough from your neighbors!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 3, 2011 at 6:57 pm

I think my reflector disc blinds people walking by!!!

Mary @ What's Cookin' with Mary September 2, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Sounds like a recipe I could add to the round up I posted earlier. Simple, tasty & colorful. Love.

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) September 2, 2011 at 1:51 pm

we are on the same level today :) this morning i made a kamut garden veggie bean salad very similar to yours. have a great weekend!

Aunt Sherry September 2, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Hi Ange,
Hope you get this!
Blacks has their long weekend special on.
50 6×8 for $5.00
different sizes are on sale.
Make sure you order in 50, 100, 150 or you pay for the odds.
Sale is on until the 6th I think.
enjoy
blacks.ca go to blog page.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 3, 2011 at 7:41 am

Thanks Sherry!

Hayley @ Oat Couture September 2, 2011 at 1:57 pm

WOW that salad looks to die for! And i love your wooden bowls!! So cute! We don’t really get all the rich reds of fall here but it does get cooler and I CAN’T WAIT!! No more needing the air con on every minute of the day seeing as there might actually be, shock horror, a breeze! :D Whoop!

Alexis (hummusapien) September 2, 2011 at 2:17 pm

That is a gorgeous salad! Love all the colors. Might have to bring it to the labor day cookout! I know it’ll be the only veggie option :(

Brittany @ Runwithbritt September 2, 2011 at 2:21 pm

This weekend is defiantly the time for one last summer produce hurrah!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 2, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Love the idea of a grilled salad! The perfect fall lead it, for sure. :)

I may have to throw in some summer though and sub the corn for grilled pineapple with a bit of brown sugar and cayenne. Oddly enough, I’ve never cared for corn!

Becca September 2, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I am going to make this! I bet it would be fabulous with diced avocado on top. Enjoy your weekend.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 3, 2011 at 7:41 am

mmm great idea!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 2, 2011 at 2:45 pm

The salad looks great. The grilled corn, mmmm, perfect! As is the dressing. I love simple, easy, no fuss oil & vinegar dressings. And more time w/ GF’s sipping margaritas and less time being spent making dressings is a huge bonus.

It all looks spectacular!

“The period between the two seasons reminds me of…well, my entire adolescence. Awkward.” <– you and me both! Clearly, you out grew that, you gorgeous thing, you! :)

Anna @ Food Fitness Frolicking September 2, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Ohmygoodness this looks so fresh and delicious! Thank you for sharing it!

Sarah September 2, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Beautiful salad! How do you make your margaritas??

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011 at 7:39 am

This weekend I made strawberry chocolate magaritas….chocolate almond milk, tequila, lime, strawberries, ice, and a touch of agave!

Sarah September 6, 2011 at 8:46 am

WOW! That sounds amazing. Thank you for sharing!

Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City September 2, 2011 at 3:46 pm

I love all the colors!!! Looks wonderful :) Enjoy the long weekend!

Eat Hike Sleep Repeat September 2, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Your reference to the .15 notebooks cracks me up. That commercial gets me every time. This is a great explanation of why the cost is so low… http://www.storyofstuff.com/

Great looking salad. PS, the corn isn’t burnt. It’s lightly charred :)

Great weather confusion out here in BC too. The “Spring” flowers just started to make an appearance in the alpine. And, we’re still playing in 10ft+ of snow!

Anne Hamilton September 2, 2011 at 4:02 pm

This looks amazing and your pictures are beautiful. I have to try it this weekend. You rock, keep doin’ what your doin’!
Peace

Christine (The Raw Project) September 2, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Beautiful salad and perfect for the odd weather here too!

Fran {The Flavorful Fork} September 2, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Oh funny! I love the comparison between the awkward weather and adolescence. That is a great way to think about it. Love grilled corn. Really need to get out there this weekend and grab some while the getting is still good. Enjoy the weekend!

Katrina September 2, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Oh my! This sounds awesome.

[email protected] September 2, 2011 at 5:12 pm

that looks amazing. stunning photos. I guess that’s the reward when you don’t just throw lots of randoms together! I wish I had that time and dedication

[email protected] and spice September 2, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Thank you for this recipe :D I’m not quite ready to give summer up yet!

Katie September 2, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Hi Angela!
That recipe (just like the rest of them!) looks so fabulous. I actually made your oil-free rasin walnut zucchini loaf the other day, and I cannot stop eating it! My mother, aunt and cousin all have given it rave reviews! And I’m the only one that knows about the no-oil part, so it’s perf! ;) So thankyou!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 2, 2011 at 10:19 pm

I’m happy you all enjoyed it so much! No one can ever believe it’s oil free.

Emily September 2, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Hahahah I loved the awkwardness description of fall :) I always find myself leaving the house in a comfortable outfit and arriving at my destination SWEATING and wishing I had skipped the jeans and sweater…

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 2, 2011 at 8:17 pm

This is a weird time of year for sure. I was all ready to start pulling out my fall sweaters, and then we got hit with this scorcher today! :P

As much as I’m looking forward to fall, I’m going to be sad to see the end of summer vegetables. I’ll have to make this recipe before the local corn is over!

Ali Mc September 2, 2011 at 9:12 pm

I love your blog and I am definitely feeling the end of summer blues too :(

I have every intention on tackling this recipe. It looks delicious!

April September 2, 2011 at 9:12 pm

It is so beautiful! I love the mix of colors. I might have to try this one. :)

Tracy September 2, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Damn. I MUST make this. Your original Back On Track Wheatberry Salad not only made my fall in love with wheatberries but I make that salad at least once every other month. And since everyone else in my house refuses to eat anything healthy, I get to have leftovers for lunch and dinner for oh…4 or 5 days. I LOVE YOU for posting that recipe and this one! :) Can’t wait to try this version.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 2, 2011 at 10:20 pm

I agree that the leftovers are the best part!! And is it just me or does the salad just taste better and better as the days go by? I swear this corn salad tasted even better today.

kaila @ healthy helper! September 2, 2011 at 9:30 pm

This looks incredible! I already know I’ll love it! Give me veggies, grains, beans, and balsamic in a dish and its bound to be amazing!!!!

Molly G September 2, 2011 at 10:47 pm

I bought the wheat berries in the bulk section of my grocery store and I am not sure how to cook them since they didn’t come in a box. Can you tell me how to cook them? I haven’t used them before. I bought exactly 1/2 cup of the wheat berries. Thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 3, 2011 at 7:44 am

Sure! All I do is add 1/2 cup of dry wheatberries (or speltberries) into a small pot and then fill it with water so that it’s at least 1-2 inches over the berries. Bring to a boil and then reduce to low-medium heat and cook until tender, for about 25-30 minutes.

Molly G. September 3, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Thank you so very much! I am making this for Labor Day and can’t wait to fire up the grill and get the veggies roasting =)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 3, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Have fun Molly!

Laura September 2, 2011 at 11:23 pm

Roasted veggies and balsamic dressing, two of my favorite things! This looks marvelous :)

Mikaela September 3, 2011 at 3:00 am

Hello and greetings from Finland! I just discovered your blog and it’s absolutely amazing! I’m trying to “clean out” my life so to speak and have been experimenting with vegetarian food for years now and since my recent clean out, I have decided to go vegan! This in mind I decided to ask whether you would be interested in making a 101 for beginners, sort of a what-to-know when starting out. I would highly appreciate it! I love your blog, you just gained a reader :) Have a fun weekend!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 3, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Thank you and congrats! I will keep this in mind for a future post :)

Aine @ Something to Chew Over September 3, 2011 at 5:29 am

This looks gorgeous, so colourful!

I’m really excited for autumn, it’s my favourite season :)

tweal September 3, 2011 at 7:05 am

Looks and sounds delicious – thanks for sharing the recipe.

Have a happy long weekend :)

Katie September 3, 2011 at 7:20 am

I just made the goddess bowl with lemon tahini dressing for dinner tonight – now I’m going to have to attempt to recreate this with my toaster oven soon!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 3, 2011 at 7:43 am

you go girl!! haha that would be awesome ;)

LizAshlee September 3, 2011 at 7:49 am

A beautiful salad so perfect with all the colors!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Jackie September 3, 2011 at 8:50 am

Soooo I kind of wish your header was as wide as your columns, for some reason it makes me uneasy! Though I LOVE the bright picture with all the colors!

maggie September 3, 2011 at 10:32 am

Book marking this baby right now!!!! Thanks :)

Megan

www.mybreakfastblog.com

www.etsy.com/shop/florachild

Tracy @ Tracy's Treats September 3, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Oh man that salad looks so delicious refreshing. I must make this while the weather is still hot!

Kristy H September 3, 2011 at 4:23 pm

This salad looks so beautiful and delicious! cant wait to try it. Just made your vegan chocolate cupcakes for dessert and tried peppermint extract in the buttercream frosting and tinted it green with shaved dark choc on top, yum! green food always tastes the best, but i dont need to tell you that lol! a vegan 101 for beginners sonds like a great idea.

Alexandra Grecco September 3, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Looks wonderful – thanks for the recipe!
xo
Alexandra Grecco

Maria @ Orchard Bloom September 3, 2011 at 7:30 pm

This looks amazing. I love your recipes, they are so fresh and simple!

Betty September 3, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Have you thought about signing up with VeganCuts for the Glo Bakery? It’s like the vegan version of Groupon – they feature tons of small businesses – and it would be a great way to get the word out about your bakery. I can’t wait til the Sept bars are out so I can buy some! Love your site!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 4, 2011 at 10:39 am

Sounds interesting I’ll check it out…thanks!

Living, Learning, Eating September 3, 2011 at 11:41 pm

Wow! Recipes always look awesome, but your’s actually are! I just made your Healthy Strawberry Oat Squares and everyone (including those who *abhor* healthy desserts) loves them! I’ll post pics on my blog soon, but I just wanted to let you know that I’m very excited to try out more of your recipes!

Oh, and I added walnuts – very tasty. ;)

Marla September 4, 2011 at 9:35 am

Love the grilled salad girl!! Have an amazing long weekend :)
I would love if you added this and any other links to my “Happy Post” today. http://su.pr/1bZ8fp

Kristen September 4, 2011 at 1:11 pm

I just made this, and it was AMAZING!! Totally a keeper. Thanks for making my weekend! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 5, 2011 at 7:33 am

Happy to hear that Kristen!

Allison September 4, 2011 at 7:21 pm

This. Salad. Is. Ridiculous. I’m gluten free, so we didn’t include the wheatberries, and it was still absolutely fantastic. Husband wants to add onions next time.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 5, 2011 at 7:32 am

Glad you enjoyed it!

Tiffany September 4, 2011 at 9:53 pm

I just made this tonight and it was soo good. Please write a cookbook! You owe it to the world :)

suzanne September 5, 2011 at 11:52 am

Made this last night to bring to a friend’s with grilled red potatoes added instead of the berries – it was a hit!

Coco September 5, 2011 at 2:27 pm

This looks yummy AND healthy. I love grilled or roasted veggies in a salad.

sara September 5, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Im really loving your blog. This salad is beautiful. Im so excited to try it (and the tortilla soup from last week)!

Cindy September 5, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Just found your blog in the last few days and have loved it. Today I made the Long Weekend Grilled Salad – it was WONDERFUL!! and I made the Wheat Berry and Bean Salad for lunch for the upcoming week (also fabulous)! Thanks for sharing such great recipes and information. I’m also training for my first 1/2 marathon and enjoyed reading your post about your experiences with those as well. Again, really hooked on your blog, thanks!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011 at 7:37 am

Thank you Cindy, I’m happy that you are enjoying the recipes! Good luck with your training!

CareyBerry September 5, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Just made this (substituted farro for wheatberries b/c I couldn’t get wheat berries at the grocery store) and it was delicious! Whole family enjoyed it… Thank you for your inspiring message and great recipes!

Laura September 5, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Made it with red quinoa and chickpeas and it was fantastic!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011 at 7:36 am

Glad to hear that Laura!

Kristi September 6, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Hi Angela,

I really loved this recipe, and felt compelled to share. :o) When I made this dish, I opted to omit the corn and instead roast Brussels sprouts on the grill (to retain crunch factor in the dish), and oh my, was it dee-lish! I’d imagine roasted eggplant would be a fabulous addition and/or substitute as well. I placed may salad atop a small mound of tri-color brown rice, compliments of Trader Joe’s. I am transitioning into Veganism and very much appreciate your healthful, delicious and beautiful recipes. Thank you very much!

michelle September 6, 2011 at 8:24 pm

I love all the colours in this salad and your photos are gorgeous

Robin September 7, 2011 at 9:53 am

I made this for a party and it was a big hit! It’s definitely staying in my files for future use.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 7, 2011 at 11:23 am

I’m happy it was enjoyed Robin! Thanks for your feedback.

Lucy September 7, 2011 at 10:18 am

Hi Angela,
First off I have to say how impressed I am with your blog! i have been following it now for a few months after being referred to it by a friend. you have a fast growing group of readers among all of us! I also have not eaten anything for breakfast since trying overnight oats, and now all i talk about at work is my reason for getting up in the moring is breakfast!
i made this salad last night and it is outstanding. Thank you so much for providing such an amazing resource of information, and inspiration. I look forward to reading your blog everyday.
thanks again,
Lucy

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 7, 2011 at 11:21 am

Hi Lucy, Thank you so much for your kind words! I appreciate your support and so happy that you enjoy the recipes. :)

Jess September 7, 2011 at 10:48 am

Made this last night, and roasted the corn and peppers in the oven. Did zucchini on a cast iron stove top grill pan. It was still absolutely lovely. It is FANTASTIC for lunch and makes a ton, so I look forward to eating it all week! Thank you so much!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 7, 2011 at 11:21 am

yay! Thats great Jess

Lindsey September 11, 2011 at 4:17 pm

I made this yesterday! Delish! I would recommend though NOT using the cheaper green peppers. They turned this ugly green color – this may have been because the grill ran out of grass and I finished off their charring in the oven, but it was not attractive! I also added halved cherry tomatoes from our garden. This added another level of freshness. I will definitely be making this again! So glad I found your blog! Love it! xo

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 12, 2011 at 7:20 am

Thanks Lindsey and thanks for your feedback!

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. September 21, 2011 at 10:03 am

Oh I just adore fall.
AND those wooden bowls!!!!! Don’t think about how long you have been out of school, before ya know it they are TEA induced hot flashes!

AnnR August 24, 2012 at 7:01 pm

This looks amazing! I’m a very new vegan (8 weeks tomorrow and feeling great!) and have been very inspired by your recipes. The vegan enchiladas with cilantro avocado cream are my new favorite…but they might be replaced by this salad. Thanks for recipes that aren’t too strange for my carnivorous husband to eat. I appreciate the whole “real food” ingredients.

Kristen March 17, 2013 at 8:28 pm

My girlfriend and I just made this recipe and oh my goodness it was absolutely delicious! We made a few changes, since corn isn’t in season we used a bag of frozen corn and dry chared it on the stove top. We also only used 1 tablespoon of olive oil and instead of maple syrup we used one packet of Splenda, just to keep the calorie and fat down. This recipe was amazing and I cannot wait for the summer to make it! Thanks again!

Chemese May 18, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Where did you get the bowls?

Jessica July 17, 2013 at 11:04 am

Hi Angela,
I am 3 days in to my vegan lifestyle change, and I must say your blog and recipes make me feel like I won’t be deprived. As a total “foodie” I wasn’t sure how I would cook with my new change, but I am starting to see there are many substitute dishes that look amazing! I made your long weekend salad last night and LOVED it. Also, I added grilled pineapple and used the frozen roasted corn from Trader Joes (a little cheating) – and my husband even loved it. That says a lot. I am a fan. Thank you! : )

Jessica from Carlsbad, CA

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2013 at 10:30 am

Hey Jessica, Thank you for your lovely comment! I’m so happy to hear that you are enjoying the recipes. :)

Lucy August 2, 2013 at 11:34 pm

Great recipe! I love wheatberries and so rarely see them in recipes, so I knew I had to give this a try. It looks lovely on the table and is so delicious. I will definitely make this again.

Kim August 11, 2014 at 2:58 pm

SO delicious!! I love your recipes! I bought you cookbook about a month ago and make at least 2 new ones each week. I love them all! Thank you for making healthy food delicious!

Cate August 25, 2015 at 3:35 am

Made this recipe this weekend and it was excellent. I left out the zucchini and subbed in cucumbers, and they were perfect. Added some kale, which I ‘massaged’ with the dressing before adding the other ingredients to amp up the greens. The roasted corn and peppers were sweet and really added something special to the salad. I amped up the dressing a bit by adding a wee bit of pureed chipotle peppers in adobo sauce to add a certain smoky kick. My kids both took it to camp for lunch today and everybody here loves this one. Thanks!

Sheila Norris June 5, 2016 at 9:53 pm

Hi! I love wheatberries (especially in salads) but I’ve never made them at home because I’m so confused by them! Recipes always just say wheatberries but when I go to a store that has them in the whole foods aisle, they have so many options…red, soft, hard, etc. What kind did you use in this recipe and how did you cook them? Thank you!

Corey July 12, 2016 at 10:20 pm

This is a truly stellar recipe. I broke in a new grill with it today, and all five carnivore visitors absolutely loved this salad. A real crowd pleaser and fun to make.

Angela Liddon July 13, 2016 at 4:26 pm

Glad it was a hit with everyone, Corey! This salad is a huge favourite at my house, too.