This Is Not A Real Post

[Do you see the new blog header? If not, hold down the ‘Control’ key and ‘F5’ key at the same time to refresh your page if you aren’t seeing the new header.]

When the seasons change, I’m often motivated to change as well. I purge clutter, enjoy new seasonal food kicks, and break out a to-do list before succumbing to disorganization in 3 days time. Ah, it’s great.

The other day I was reading an article about improving the appearance of a blog. It said, ‘If your website had no text at all, would people know what your blog was about?’

I imagined my blog without text. All that was left was a creepy, glow-y profile picture circa 2008. Yikes.

It was kind of like looking back on my Grade 2 picture seeing myself with a side pony tail and a scrunchie.

IMG 4 thumb   This Is Not A Real Post

Oh wow. Thanks Mom?

heading thumb   This Is Not A Real Post

I’d like to think this new header is clean, fresh, and seasonal. Aside from my dying basil plant, I was able to grow these vegetables in my garden this summer (the picture, however, is from 2010).

My plan is to create a new header for each season shooting local and seasonal produce. So if you hate this one, it’s only going to be around for about a month. For Fall, you’ll probably see gourds, squash, pumpkins, candy corn, apples, etc.

For Winter, you’ll probably see snow, ice, and extremely unflattering winter boots circa 1994. For Spring, dirt and mud. You get the idea.

This header was a close second with a new and improved tagline…

jokeheader thumb   This Is Not A Real Post

My third idea was a Chocolate Chunk Toffee Bar dipped into a Green Monster. It demonstrated a lovely balance of health and indulgence, but perhaps not the most photogenic header of all time.

PS- Photoshop owns my soul.

~~

I thought it would be fun to have a discussion about blog headers today. What makes a great blog header? For bloggers: Did you design yours or have someone design it? What do you love about your header or want to change? Feel free to link to your blog in the comments.

Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles August 26, 2011

Love that you’ll be updating your blog header with the seasons. LOVE it. :)

Chocolate-Covered Katie August 26, 2011

Photoshop is evil and can literally steal your day from you!
I love the new header. It is vibrant and beautiful. But I can’t say I’m not partial to your close second.

Wonder why… ;)

Holly @ The Runny Egg August 26, 2011

I love that you’ll have a new header for each season — that is something I love about Pioneer Woman — her blog header always makes me smile!

I made my own in Microsoft Paint. And it shows!

Kristi August 26, 2011

Love the new header! But I think it should be wider :)
p.s. just made your vegan choc. cupcakes last night (whole-wheat) with pink frosting & chocolate chips for my toddler’s birthday (we are not vegan, but she has severe allergies to milk, egg, & peanuts). Your website & recipes have been a blessing, thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 26, 2011

Thanks Kristi :) Glad you enjoyed the cupcakes!

caitlin (questforfitness) August 26, 2011

I love the new header! Very clean and sharp

Erin August 26, 2011

mmmmmmmm chocolate…..

Colleen August 26, 2011

I love the new header – it looks great.

jess @ cupcakes and kale August 26, 2011

love the new look! although, i do still love your glowing self in the old one!
a friend of mine surprised me and gifted me the design of my header which i love. {that little kale leaf popping out of the cupcake is my favourite!} i like the idea of switching it up and might do that at some point too…

Beach Bum Beauty August 26, 2011

Love your new header but now you’ve got me thinking about mine….if I had no text nobody would have the foggiest idea what my blog is about. My blog is http://www.beachbumbeautyblog.com and I need a new header :-s

Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers August 26, 2011

the new header looks great, angela! i’m getting the “new header itch” myself. if only i had your photoshop skillzz!

Ashley August 26, 2011

I think blog headers should be something eye-catching, that will pull the reader in. I love the idea of seasonal headers, because the produce is so vibrant, and incredibly eye-catching. As for my own blog header, well now, it’s incredibly basic and kind of boring, to be honest. As a journalist, I learned a lot of blended media in school but never put it to good use, so eventually I’ll get around to using Photoshop and other tools to make it stand out more. Right now, it’s just a pretty pic of some flowers my boyfriend took, haha.

Beautiful headers! I love the first one:)

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) August 26, 2011

I LOVE your header!!! Since I’m no Photoshop pro like you, and I’m not happy with my current header, I’m getting one designed as we speak hehe ;)

Suzie August 26, 2011

This is so odd, I literally have my picture album open and paint (i can’t handle photoshop!) and was debating my header. As a new blogger I wasn’t sure what I wanted my header to be so i wacked a picture together and put my blog name on it.

I enjoy the idea of you changing with seasons and i’m all behind you for the oh she glows, eat chocolate ;)
S.X

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 26, 2011

I think the bar dipped in green monster would have been perfect LOL! But like you said, maybe not so photogenic. I made my header with a smoothie photo I took, and with the help of Picnik. I think a good header gives some sort of insight into what the blog is about, and it definitely helps if it’s got some sort of bright colour popping off of the screen (but not in a blinding way!) I love yours!

Laura August 26, 2011

Love it!

Radha August 26, 2011

Nice new header! Good idea to change it seasonally. <3

lynn @ the actor's diet August 26, 2011

noticed the new header right away – lovely!

katie@ KatieDid August 26, 2011

I really like your new header, its very clean and simple. I designed my own… and by design my own I guess I mean I used a picture I took myself and typed some words over it. But I think it represents my blog fairly well!

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! August 26, 2011

I designed my own! I think if anything it may be a bit cluttered, but it definitely hints to what the blog is about. Loving the new look :-)

Megan @ The Detoxinista August 26, 2011

I love the new header! I like to change mine seasonally, too– I’m also addicted to playing with Photoshop!! (surprising, since it’s what I do for a living… you’d think I’d get sick of it!) ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 26, 2011

it is VERY fun to play with, I’d have to agree! and picking fonts from free font websites :)

Natalie August 26, 2011

I love your idea to change seasonally. For some reason it was strangely exciting to land on your blog and see the header was different!

Can’t wait to see the pumpkins!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 26, 2011

Im glad you are excited! heh

Maria August 26, 2011

Great mind think alike, Angela! I JUST changed my header last night to a fall themed one (who cares if it’s only August!). I used four photos that represent things I love and fall at the same time (pumpkins, warm bread, yellow aspen tree leaves, and my Vibrams in crunchy leaves). I am not the Photoshop whiz like yourself and I magically threw it together using Picasa. I also love changing my color scheme, which is now burnt green for links. Oh aren’t blogs fun?

So yeah, a good header catches your eye but doesn’t take away from the words. Afterall, I usually read blogs for the content and the pictures of chocolate, so don’t ever give those up :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 26, 2011

your header is lovely…cozy and warm :)

Natalcho @ Tomatoes Rock August 26, 2011

Aaahh, the great header debate! I’ve spent so much time thinking about mine that I am still stuck with a bright red template sourced background and a picture of me with a filo pastry…it’s tough!

I love the new header! But it sort of changes the whole colour scheme and I really love your blue and white mix. The basil is very cute as well though:)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 26, 2011

I like the blue and white too, but I guess I can always bring it back at some point :)

Natalcho @ Tomatoes Rock August 26, 2011

I am on a search for blue and white vegetables for you:) Although I am not sure I’ve seen that type of blue on anything edible….maybe an edible flower for your summer header?

I love the new header!

Lizzie August 26, 2011

I want to lodge a complaint about this post. Why did you have to post that photo of the chocolate torte??? Now it just reminds me that I need to make it again – ASAP! :) Actually, I have a feeling there might be some squirreled away in plastic wrap in the freezer . . .

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 26, 2011

hehe

Cait @ Cait hates Cake August 26, 2011

I like the new header!! I liked the old one too, but I know change is sometimes nice! My header is a work in progress. The technical side of a blog comes easy for me (I’m an IT professional), it’s the design aspect that I find difficult. But I’m creating it on my own because I’m like a stubborn 2 year old I want to do everything by myself ;)

Ashley August 26, 2011

I love changing my header with the seasons, although I’m usually about 1-2 months behind. Oops! It’s so nice to have something new pop up at the top! I don’t think a header needs to stay constant either, but there should be one aspect that stays the same so people always know it’s “your” blog. For instance, font, or a certain color…etc. But that’s just my silly opinion. ;) You did a great job! Love photoshop. :)

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat August 26, 2011

Pretty seasonal change! I am too tech-illiterate to worry too much about my page’s appearance.

Becca August 26, 2011

The new header is awfully pretty, but I’ll admit that I am going to miss the old header. I thought it was wonderfully unique: the shiny backdrop, the side photo of you looking at your title, the coloring combo, and even the size of it was different (it seemed larger than most other blog headers). But the main reason why your old header was unique is because it didn’t have pictures of food in it. Almost every food blog has food pictured in the header, but I personally find Oh She Glows to be about way more than food (you talk about careers, renovations, eating disorders, inspirations, books, girly-stuff organization, fitness, etc), and that’s why I thought a food-less header was suiting.

Nonetheless, the new header is (and will be as the seasons change) very attractive.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 26, 2011

Thanks for your comment! I debated about many of those things too when thinking about changing it. It probably won’t always be food related here on out, but for now, I like how my plant based diet is reflected in the ‘glow theme’ as it deserves credit in impacting many areas of my life.

Marie August 26, 2011

Love the new header. I’m just curious what font you used. :)

Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes August 26, 2011

I totally agree about the photoshop thing! You think you’ll just be there a second, and all of sudden 3 hours have past! I’m still playing around with options for my header, but like designing it, so it’s okay (as long as I accept the fact that I spend a lot of time on it!).
And I love you header! It looks great! :)

Kathryn (Flopoodle) August 26, 2011

LOVE this idea! It’ll be fun to mix it up and seasons are the perfect time to do that. Looking forward to the next one!

Mama Pea August 26, 2011

I love your new header…beautiful!

marci August 26, 2011

Very nice and simple. I designed my own with help from the Picnik website. I’ve changed it a few times over the past 1.5 years when I get bored with it. One day I want to learn Photoshop skills!

Carissa August 26, 2011

I love the new header!! (Though, I didn’t think of the old one as “creepy and glowy”) I also have a wonderfully flattering grade two photo where I’m wearing a side pony and a matching baby pink skirt and top…made from sweatpant material. Classy.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 26, 2011

haha I used to have that top Im pretty sure. twins?

Kris | iheartwellness.com August 26, 2011

You are so creative, love!!

I love the idea of doing your own you headers…I have done my own, but with rebranding I Heart Wellness now, we are having it professionally done ;)

I love your ideas always!!!

xxoo

Carolyn August 26, 2011

I love this idea, and this current header! Very colorful, pretty, and luscious. ^^

Sarah @ Recipe Love August 26, 2011

Love it! I’m not a huge fan of mine (I think it’s too big, among other things), but I did it myself and I’m very new to it.

carly {carlyklock} August 26, 2011

Love this idea! And what a great question – not sure I’d be left with any imagery to portray the content of my blog, either. Hmmmm….

Looking forward to the fall header!

Erin @ The Grass Skirt August 26, 2011

The idea of a seasonal blog header is genius! I wish that I had thought of it myself! I actually loved your old one, but this new look is even better. By the way, I just hit the refresh button and was able to see it. I cannot wait to see the other headers!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes August 26, 2011

I love the idea of changing it up now and then! The new header is fab! I love the grade 2 pic btw, it takes a real woman to rock a srunchie. ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 26, 2011