Quick & Dirty 5-Ingredient Vegan Cheeze Sauce & Recipe Challenge

IMG_0796

One of the things that has surprised me the most with vegan cuisine is how I’m able to create similar flavours and textures that I used to enjoy while eating animal products. The goal, for me, is not to aim for the vegan dish to taste exactly the same, but to try to bring out something about the non-vegan dish that I really enjoyed, like a rich sauce or a thick chocolaty pudding. This doesn’t apply to all foods however, I have no desire to create a dish that has the texture of meat because I just don’t crave that texture or taste anymore. It really just depends on the food!

IMG_2385

[Butternut Squash Mac n Cheeze: Two Ways]

One of the things I’ve always loved about Mac ‘n Cheese is that it’s comforting and creamy. When I make a vegan version of Mac ‘n Cheese, I’m not trying to create a carbon copy, but a dish that gives me that same type of comforting feeling when I eat it.

IMG_8099

Over the past couple years, I’ve found that I can create dishes that satisfy my cravings without having to sacrifice. I crave the new dishes that I make, instead of the dishes I used to eat. Now that I’m used to this lifestyle I rarely feel like I’m missing out. The only time I feel left out is when I am eating at a non-vegan friendly restaurant, otherwise I have so many choices the hardest part is trying to decide what I will eat!

img-0978

One thing I don’t always enjoy about vegan cooking and baking is the often long ingredient list that is required to make some recipes. The recipes tend to involve more creativity, more spices & seasonings, and other ingredients to achieve that outcome that I’m looking for. It’s not necessarily a bad thing per say, but sometimes I just want a quick and dirty recipe that I know I can whip up within a minute’s notice.

This 5-ingredient cheeze sauce is one of those quick and dirty recipes that I know I will keep coming back to again and again! It’s hands down the easiest cheeze sauce I’ve made and it doesn’t require a food processor or other special kitchen tool. Just a stove top and a whisk…gotta love that!

IMG_0810

IMG_0753

Just 5 ingredients and just as delicious as the other sauces I’ve made!

IMG_0376

I first made this sauce a couple weeks ago and we’ve been enjoying it a lot! I’ve poured it into pasta, on vegetables, sandwiches, etc. It’s so silky and delicious, you really have to try this. You could also get creative and add some herbs or spices to it to change it up quite easily.

Yesterday, I also made a fantastic lunch with it…

IMG_0781-2

more on that recipe tomorrow!

IMG_0782

The Quick & Dirty 7-Ingredient or Less Challenge

Speaking of short ingredient lists, I thought it would be fun to challenge myself to create more vegan recipes with as few ingredients as possible. Quick & Dirty recipes if you will!

My goal is to create more recipes with 7 ingredients or less that don’t require a lot of time or even special kitchen tools. It’s going to be tough, but I’m really excited for the challenge!

I’m curious, what’s your biggest cooking or baking hurdle? Long ingredient lists, hard to find ingredients, special kitchen tools, not enough time?

Leave me a comment below if you have any recipes in mind that you’d like ‘condensed’…no pun intended!

1 kalli August 18, 2011

i cannot stand a long ingredient list and detailed directions. the words start swimming on the page. i figure if i can’t make the recipe while i am enjoying an evening with my husband with a glass of wine in hand-forget it!
love the cheeze sauce!

2 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet August 18, 2011

This is definitely easy enough to make on any night! And the biggest recipe hurdle I face is seeing a long list of ingredients that I don’t have in the pantry. Who wants to spend that extra money on things they may never use again??

3 Peggy @ freshnutrition August 18, 2011

You gotta love a good cheese or “cheeze” sauce and I love that everytime I make one of your sauces, my kids love them too. Looking forward to making this one!

4 Amy @ The Whole Sweet Scoop August 18, 2011

My nephew has very bad food allergies and cannot have any dairy. This looks so good, I’m going to try making it for him this weekend. Thanks for the idea!!

5 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table August 18, 2011

“Quick and Ddirty” made me giggle. :) I will have to try this. I’ve been mixing hummus and apple cider vinegar since reading your post on that and I am LOVING it.

My biggest hurdle is more about time. I work a lot of hours and sometimes I succumb to “grab and go” options. I actually don’t mind longer ingredient lists, especially when they involve fun spices.

6 Faith @ For the Health of It August 18, 2011

Quick and dirty recipes are always my favorites – who has time to slave away for hours on a daily basis? Cheese sauces have been one of my favorite vegan things to make – that comforting factor is so irreplaceable!

7 Cupcake Kat August 18, 2011

I love this recipe for all of the reasons you gave! I am going to try this out for sure. My biggest baking hurdle is having too many baked goods already in the fridge and freezer so I can’t make more

8 Elle August 18, 2011

I would say my biggest hurdle is overly complicated recipes – like pitting 30 olives for example. No thanks! Also, recipes that get too many kitchen appliances dirty.

9 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 18, 2011

I love the simplicity of this! I don’t really have many cooking hurdles and actually really enjoy it, but I’d say the biggest one for me is probably just finding time to prep the recipes I want to try. For example, a lot of the raw recipes I’m lusting over involve soaking things for hours or overnight, so you really have to plan ahead. Your pizza looks SO good!

10 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 18, 2011

yea those can get me too…esp. when I come across a raw recipe and want to make it *now* but then I have to wait overnight. I think that’s also why I never got into my dehydrator.

11 Bev Weidner August 18, 2011

Dad gummit, woman – that looks good!

12 Becky August 18, 2011

Wow, that looks delicious and SO easy to make! Simple recipes are so refreshing, especially when the few ingredients are common ones – I have all of these items on hand. What’s more, most of the “cheeze” recipes I see call for blended cashews, which are delicious but expensive just to blend into a simple sauce. Definitely trying this recipe soon – easy and affordable! Thanks!

13 Aine @ Something to Chew Over August 18, 2011

I love cheese sauce, that looks amazing! Looking forward to the pizza recipe too :)

I don’t have a food processor and so many recipes require one. Also because I’m in Ireland I can’t always get my hands on certain ingredients – chia seeds, nutritional yeast and sunflower seed butter come to mind!

14 Cait's Plate August 18, 2011

Gah – delicious!!

15 Sweet and Savvy August 18, 2011

That cheese sauce looks perfect!!! thanks for sharing:)

16 Laura @ Starting Out Fit August 18, 2011

Need to try that sauce!!

17 Laura August 18, 2011

Honetsly as soon as I see a really long ingredients list I know I won’t be making the recipe. I am a college student and the only vegan in the house, so I am always looking for minimalistic and easy vegan recipes. I don’t have the money or the space to keep every different kind of flour, sugar, or other ingredient on hand. I am really looking forward to that pizza recipe!

18 Julie @ Shining From Within August 18, 2011

I’d like to see more easy ways to change a regular recipe into GF without a big hassle of different flours or other things (although that’s really hard, but definitely do-able). I also HATE to bust out (and then clean) the food processor. If there’s a really delicious sounding recipe that I have all the ingredients for, but requires a food processor (and/or blender), 9 times out of 10 I’ll pass it up because I don’t feel like cleaning the food processor. I just want EASY not hard or “over-done”. Everything is so complicated now-a-days… we need to shorten the steps and then more people will want to get in the kitchen and cook!

19 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats August 18, 2011

My biggest problems are too many ingredients and too expensive ingredients! I live in a studio alone and I’m building up my kitchen! If there are too many things I’d have to buy I move on to another recipe!

20 katie@ KatieDid August 18, 2011

My challenge is being intimidated in the kitchen. I don’t have too much confidence in my cooking skills, so I tend to avoid trying new things all together and I get stuck eating the same things over and over. I like ‘quick and dirty’ recipes, especially is they have me trying out new ingredients and cooking methods because they aren’t as intimidating yet they have me trying out new things.

21 Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing August 18, 2011

This looks awesome! I can’t wait to try it (with arrowroot or some other GF substitute; I’ll let you know how it goes). It’s true that simple wins the day in my kitchen — both in recipes I create and those I follow. But needing to eat GF and vegetarian can sometimes be a challenge to that goal, so I definitely resonate with what you’re saying. I’m excited to see what you come up with! :)

22 Kay October 4, 2015

I recently embarked on a plant-based diet. A lot of recipes I have tried are labor intensive with lots of ingredients and tons of dirty dishes, blender, pots, etc. I am not a spring chicken and have a hard time standing for long periods of time in the kitchen. So fewer ingredients and less standing/cleanup time is a bonus. Looking forward to trying the Cheeze Sauce recipe. Need to get some more yeast flakes. Thanks for doing the experimenting and sharing your successes!

23 Laura August 18, 2011

My problem is long ingredient lists and/or expensive ingredients. I’m a grad student, shortly to be a non-grad student/unemployed, so quick, easy, delicious recipes are something I always look for. No matter how busy/tired I am I try to take the time to cook something good. I splurged on cashews this week for your cheeze sauce that I will try shortly. Love nuts but they are pricey. I will have to try the above cheese sauce too soon! I’ve been making pizza this week w/ a chickpea version of your oil free pesto and it’s delish! Trying it with white beans today and putting it on my pizza, can’t wait!

24 Emily August 18, 2011

Hi Angela,

I am a long-time reader and I rarely comment, but I am really excited about your 7 ingredient or less challenge, as lately I am just in the mood for quick and easy recipes. I normally love to cook, but at the moment, I just want something tasty to eat without all of the effort.

Thanks for reading my mind on this one, and for all of your amazing posts and recipes (which I use at least weekly if not more)!

~Emily~

25 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 18, 2011

Your little pizza looks delicious :D I made something similar to this a few days ago except it had hummus and black beans. Needless to say, it was an absolute DREAM

26 coffeeaddict August 18, 2011

definitely special ingredients with a short shelf life, like fresh herbs or exotic veggies

27 Daniel August 18, 2011

Usually it’s a list of ingredients that call for things that come from two different seasons, or ingredients that I can’t find out here in the middle of nowhere Wisconsin.

Hmm, well curries have tons of ingredients, but those are mostly spices and I would think “condensing” them might ruin flavor… plus using a bunch of pre-packaged sauces and stuff kind of defeats the purpose. :P

Maybe something like simple salads with simpler dressings that still have a ton of flavor? Or rich and healthy casseroles that don’t call for a ton of cheese?

28 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 18, 2011

Great ideas!

29 Julie August 18, 2011

omg that pizza looks AMAZING. I want that pizza…now.

30 Gillian @bite size pieces August 18, 2011

OMG I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS CHALLENGE!!! I struggle with having enough random ingredients in my cupboards/fridge.. Since im single and generally cook for one, my food budget is smaller so I tend to have less variety. I would love to see some 7 ingredient baked goods as well as some easy high protein dinners!! Thank you so much for putting this together.. Best idea ever

31 Leanne (Bride to Mrs.) August 18, 2011

One of my biggest stressors in the kitchen is having a recipe where there’s so many steps, or use of sixteen different bowls/tools.

I like the idea of recipe’s with 7 or less ingredients! I think it’s completely doable :) and I look forward to seeing the recipe’s you come up with!

32 Ellen August 18, 2011

Hi Angela – I just want to say thank you for showing some gluten free substitutes for your recipes! It’s hard finding delicious vegan and GF combinations!!

33 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 18, 2011

No problem Ellen…I will try to do it as much as I can.

34 Laura @ the first mess August 18, 2011

It’s always, always time. I’m regularly pondering if I can make a batch of SOMETHING before I have to get to work, classes etc.

Also that avocado chocolate pudding blows allllll the omnivorous versions in existence out of the water. I keep going back to that one for chocolate fixes :)))

35 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat August 18, 2011

I love simple recipes, I’m excited to see whats in the pizza!

36 Charlie August 18, 2011

Hard to find ingredients! Many ingredients that are easy to find in the US and some provinces are not here. I’ve been looking for nutritional yeast everywhere and can’t find it!

37 Ashley August 18, 2011

That cheese sauce looks awesome! I am excited to try it!

My fiance doesn’t have a sweet tooth like I do. I would like to see a quick chocolate recipe that doesn’t require a blender. It would even be cool if it was a single serving! Less temptation to eat more that way. ;)

38 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 18, 2011

I love that idea…and single serving? Yes!!

39 Natalie Cottrell August 18, 2011

My biggest hurdle is definitely the volume of ingredients in a lot of veggie/vegan dishes. I love cooking with the freshest ingredients possible, so I try to use whatever I buy to its fullest before it goes bad. But some of the ingredients are totally new to me/never heard of, so I only know of one recipe in which to use that ingredient. I generally just skip the ones that are too complicated and stick with ones with fewer ingredients, usually in the realm of what I already cook so I know I’ll always have things on hand to whip it up again (or at least a variation on it). Tips for appropriate substitutions (for similar texture, taste, diet restrictions, etc.) like you’ve done here are always appreciated to expand on what I may already have in my fridge/pantry, especially for a newer cook.

Love your blog! :)

40 Stephasaurus August 18, 2011

Hard-to-find ingredients are a turn-off for me, ESPECIALLY when combined with long ingredient lists, or lists with many hard-to-find ingredients on them! But on a related note, thank you for mentioning that Bob’s Red Mill makes nutritional yeast! I’ve been scouring the grocery stores for nutritional yeast lately and haven’t found any. But I see that brand all the time, and never even thought to check for the yeast next to their other products (I use their whole wheat flour). So thanks! Helpful as always. :)

41 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 18, 2011

Yes it’s kind of hidden among the other Bob’s products…I didnt notice it on the shelf for a while.

42 shamima August 18, 2011

I would have to say recipes that involve hard to find ingredients and take lots of time/ingredients are a turn off for me. I don’t have as much time to cook anymore so I want something quick. It’s also helpful if it can be made in stages. ie. I love that you can make the sauce you mentioned above and then use it for a bunch of different recipes throughout the week.

43 Judy August 18, 2011

I have always struggled with ‘what to make’.

44 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 18, 2011

me too :)

45 Shelly August 18, 2011

My challenge would be kitchen tools I don’t have- like special pans or thermometers. I also get sort of turned off by unsual kitchen ingredients like unusual flours. If I see something that calls for spelt or rice flour for example, I don’t try it b/c I’m worried about how the texture would turn out if I used ww flour or oat flour (b/c oats + food processor= oat flour, right?) and I don’t want to buy something I don’t have.

46 Holly @ The Runny Egg August 18, 2011

For me, I like short ingredient lists — I like to throw things together and not worry about 1/2 tsp of this, 1/4 tsp of that, etc. So this is definitely a recipe I want to try! I love that I don’t have to chop cashews :)

47 Donna @ Life of a Happy Blonde August 18, 2011

Can’t wait to try this sauce and i love that there is no cashews in it which i find very heavy and not to mention expensive!!!
I would definitely like to see fewer (and less crazy expensive) ingredients and i just love that you are canadian and i can actually find everything you use :)

48 Sarah August 18, 2011

My biggest hurdle in the kitchen is not having enough time. I love making complex meals on the weekends, but I’m really busy during the week and don’t usually have time for that kind of effort. I’m also cooking on a budget, so recipes with easy-to-find/small numbers of ingredients is a plus!

49 Cassie @ Naturally Cassie August 18, 2011

I love how easy this is!!!
Thanks for another great recipe =]

50 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 18, 2011

You read my mind! I was looking for a quick cheeze recipe exactly like this last week. Most had some obscure ingredient I didn’t have on hand. This one is perfect. My biggest challenge is long ingredient lists. If it’s got more than 10 ingredients I usually gloss right over it.

51 Ashley August 18, 2011

It’s definitely nice to have the quick + dirty recipes around, especially for busy days/nights! Great challenge…can’t think of anything specific right now to challenge you with though. :) My thinking cap is on.

52 Jennifer August 18, 2011

Time & Ingredients are my biggest hurdle. I have a new baby, a full time job, two dogs, and I’m training for a hiking competition….. in my free time. HA!

53 Danielle August 18, 2011

Thank you for this! So helpful. I’ve been trying to master vegan cheese for quite some time :)

54 Andrea B. @ Vegvacious August 18, 2011

I love trying new vegan recipes, but I have to agree that the long ingredient list often deters me; especially during the week after I’ve worked all day! I love finding recipes that are quick & easy AND healthy for weeknights – I’m looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

55 Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) August 18, 2011

What a fun challange for yourself. I have a very stocked pantry, so when I cook it’s nbd to have 10+ ingredient lists because most likely I have most of those things on hand already. …but I realize not everyone has this luxury and have been trying to focus on shorter ingredient lists myself. I think that makes cooking less intimidating and frankly easier and less time consuming. Plus, less expensive. Five ingedients or less is hard ! I feel like seven is a more managable number. Also, I always figure most people have salt, pepper, water and some kind of oil and tend to not count those.

56 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 18, 2011

I agree, I was like well does salt and pepper count as an ingredient? I guess it doesn’t have to be exact by I think 7 is more manageable!

57 maggie August 18, 2011

Hey Angie!!!

I make your vegan mac and cheese whenever I get the chance. Its actually a big request in my house and I am the only gluten free dairy free chick! :) Thanks for incoportaing a few of my favorite things – sweet potatoes, pasta and “cheeze”!!!

xoxo
Maggie

58 Cait @ Cait hates Cake August 18, 2011

The great thing about those 5 ingredients are that I have them all right now. Meaning, I can make this sauce today!

59 Sabina August 18, 2011

Hi Angela!

What confounds me in the kitchen:

– too many ingredients
– too many steps
– too many tools required

I like recipes that are simple, easy-to-make, and don’t take an unreasonable amount of time to prepare.

60 Vicky Taylor August 18, 2011

I love one bowl and a whisk or one pot and a spoon. I hate having to “wash” all the gadgets and appliances. That cheese sauce is perfect!

61 Beach Bum Beauty August 18, 2011

I have to admit the thing that most puts me off going completely vegan is the list of ingredients on some recipes. It’s reall off-putting. This sounds lovely and nice ‘n’ easy to make. That pizza looks divine!

62 Sonia (the Mexigarian) August 18, 2011

Time is a big issue for me. I work 8 hours a day, exercise for 1 hr, drive around on errands, give much needed attention to my kids and Hubby and squeeze in some painting or writing time. By the time dinner time comes around I am too pooped to get in the kitchen to cook. Fast and easy with simple ingredient list is what I have been surviving on most weekdays.

I am fascinated by nutritional yeast but am afraid to try it again. I didn’t have a good experience the first time around with it so I tend to shy away from recipes that call for it. Even though you make look so good :)

63 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 18, 2011

It took me a while to get used to the flavour of nutritional yeast but then I got hooked. I would give it another try and maybe not use as much until you get used to it.

64 Lauren @ What Lauren Likes August 18, 2011

What a great challenge idea! good luck! My biggest hurdle in the kitchen would be ingredients that are hard to find or too expensive to get. Sometimes things can get a bit pricey for a poor university student like myself haha :)

65 Jessica August 18, 2011

Hard to find ingredients :( I live in a town of about 6,000 and the nearest health food store with nooch, buckwheat, and all the other great finds from bulk bins is about 45 minutes away. Not a fun drive when I have 3 kids and one of them despises long car rides. And I have a Trader Joes about 75 minutes away, but again, not such a fan of long drives. I just need to make more time for myself, leave the kids with hubby, and make the drive for yummy stuff!
OMG, that butternut squash mac n cheez looks AWESOME.

66 Christine August 18, 2011

My problem in the kitchen is that I have a tiny 2-cup size food processor, so when recipes call for a food processor, I usually have to chop things in batches. Not the worst thing ever, but it’d be nice to finally splurge on larger size.

67 Jenny August 18, 2011

Usually long ingredient lists don’t intimidate me – if I look through them and see that I have a lot of the stuff already. Sometimes lots of spices are needed to achieve a complex flavour in the dish… I seem to find that a lot in Indian cooking, at least. What DOES put me off is the use of special kitchen tools that I don’t want to clean afterwards! The problem isn’t usually that I don’t have them… but that I don’t want to clean them! (I don’t even like cleaning my tiny little food processor… even though you can work so much magic with it.)

I’m waiting for [local] butternut squash to appear so I can finally make that Butternut Squash Mac ‘n’ Cheeze! I like your notes about not necessarily duplicate animal products; that is definitely the best way to approach a vegan or special diet, I find. Rather than focusing always on what you’re “living without”, it’s much better to focus on what you’re “living with”. i.e. Don’t think “Oh I can’t have milk, I HAVE to have soy/almond/hemp/oat milk instead…” just think “I can have alternative delicious milks.” No need for the “instead”…

68 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 18, 2011

exactly!

69 Maddie August 18, 2011

Thanks for another GREAT recipe Angela! Can’t wait to try it this weekend :)

A simple (vegan & gluten-free) tzatziki or sour cream recipe would be greatly appreciated!!

70 J August 18, 2011

I think I love you. I don’t have a food processor and usually skip making the vegan cheese sauces because they require either that or a TON of ingredients. Having a simple recipe with ingredients I already have on hand makes me SO HAPPY- I can’t wait to try this!!

71 Jen @ The RA Vegan August 18, 2011

That cheese sauce sounds like one I would use a lot! I love that it keeps for up to 5 days! And easy recipes are wonderful. I can cook difficult and complicated things but when times get busy (as they are about to in my life) simple is best!

72 Amy August 18, 2011

I’m a big fan of this idea! I love finding quick, yummy, healthy things to make for dinner. One of my stand-by recipes lately is the spicy tomato, peanut, kale pasta from La Dolce Vegan. It’s just pasta, kale, tomato juice (though I’ve been using sauce), peanut butter, and chili-garlic sauce. I add a bit of nutritional yeast too. Really good!

73 Jessica@Fruit and Veggie Tales August 18, 2011

Love it! Your blog has been so helpful in so many ways! This new challenge willbe great!!!! The biggest hurdles for us are definitely time and loooooong ingredient lists! We are gluten free in addition to being veggies and it can be very time consuming! With two little ones, I don’t need that! I’m so excited for your quick and dirty recipes!!!

74 Kelsey August 18, 2011

Angela, I swear you read my mind. I’d been making your cheeze sauce all winter, and I COULDN’T GET ENOUGH. Now though, I’m living in a teeeeeny tiny treehouse (yes, a treehouse!) for the summer, and I couldn’t bring my food processor with me. I’m going to make this this afternoon on my hot plate and relive the good times!

75 Ashley August 18, 2011

My biggest cooking hurdle is dinner time. It’s strange because it’s not like it should be difficult– I work from home, so I should have time, right? But every night, I have a great plan to make a great dinner and then time slips away and I make something less great.
So I guess, my question is, what are you best quick and easy recipe ideas?

76 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 18, 2011

two of my favs are creamy tomato barley risotto and 15 min avocado pasta :)

77 Amber K August 18, 2011

Long ingredient lists cause me to automatically skip over a recipe. I just don’t have the patience for a million ingredients! But worse are the ones that take entirely too long. I don’t mind if they take place over two days or need a bit of tending to. But if I have to wait a long time when I’m hungry, that’s not cool (probably why I almost never roast veggies, I’m entirely too impatient!) But worse is when it takes a long active time. I like making new things, but I am not a fan of “slaving” in the kitchen.

78 Sarah with Veggie Kids August 18, 2011

Okay, that cheese sauce is callin’ my name!! Here are two of your recipes I’d love to see “condensed”…impossible as it may be!
Garlic Pumpkin Knots w/ Parmesan Cheese
Chilled Double Chocolate Torte

79 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 18, 2011

thanks!

80 Carissa August 18, 2011

One of my biggest hurdles is lengthy steps. I don’t mind a long recipe, but when one of the steps is to roast something and then I have to wait for it to cool, I really have to be feeling ambitious. I also seek out recipes that I already have everything for and don’t have to go to the store.

81 Nicole Ridley August 18, 2011

My biggest hurdle is that I’m allergic to tree nuts – I have difficulty finding substitutions for some dishes (i use a lot of sunflower and pumpkin seeds) in order to find a crunchy/nutty taste. It is much easier to cook at home though than to go out to restaurants. Even if I find a good Vegetarian/Vegan friendly restaurant the chances of the dishes not containing a lot of different nuts are slim to none. I realize nuts are a good source of protein and healthy fats but I don’t think I’m missing out all that much.

82 Angela August 18, 2011

I would have to say long ingredient list AND kitchen tools, so often when I’m making raw dishes it requires some sort of gadget (SEE: Spiral Slicer and Dehydrator), also many recipes I have tried have 15 ingredients and just as many steps.

83 Kara August 18, 2011

That sauce looks fantastic – brilliant idea to top pizza with it! I fully intend to try that out later this week. Mmmm.
I would LOVE to see an easy cheese-free casserole (that isn’t solely focused around pasta either)!
This challenge is a fantastic idea! You should encourage other bloggers to join in at some point, and then maybe showcase a bunch of the diverse ideas like you do in Vegan Recipes Link Love? Just a thought! :)

84 Michelle August 18, 2011

I do love when recipes become quick and dirty! They’re the best!

85 Allison August 18, 2011

This post could not have come at a better time! I am in the middle of making my grocery shopping list and literally was thinking “I’m going to look at the OSG cheez sauce recipe and see if I can make it without a food processor”. Now I am so excited to make this recipe tonight! Thanks so much for your ever evoloving (or maybe in this case reverse evolving ha) and inspring recipes. :)

86 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 18, 2011

haha that’s great, thanks for the encouragement!

87 Kristina August 18, 2011

Goodness…I don’t know which recipes I’d like to see condensed, but I’d love if one of them were a slow-cooker recipe that didn’t involve oodles of prep time. Haha, no tall order there. ;)

88 Char August 18, 2011

that cheese sauce looks AMAZING!! I’m definitely going to be making it…possibly today :D

this is a bit of a challenge…do you know an easy way to make lasagna? I’ve been craving it lately, but it takes a lot of work. Any 7 ingredient ideas? :D

89 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 18, 2011

thanks for the suggestion!

90 Alayna @ Thyme Bombe August 18, 2011

I think long ingredient lists are the one thing that will keep me from trying something. I don’t have a printer or a smart phone, so if I want to make something with a long ingredient list I have to copy it all down by hand. Usually, I’ll just search for a version of the same recipe with fewer ingredients to save myself time.

91 Star August 18, 2011

My biggest challenge is the ingredients. We do not have a good health food store nearby. I order some things through a co op I am a part of…but it is mostly bulk. If I knew I liked and would re use some of the ingredients, I would be willing to purchase them that way, but don’t really need 10 pounds of buckwheat groats until I’m sure we would use them. I wish so much we had a Whole Foods or a Fresh Market somewhere close!

92 AGS August 18, 2011

Really, I’d say the hardest thing for me would be my husband who asks for (it seems) the EXACT SAME THING every night. Not that I have a problem with eating the same thing over and over. . .

93 LizAshlee August 18, 2011

I love creamy cheesy sauces!! and even more…simple recipes!

94 Jessica August 18, 2011

Biggest Hurdle-usually hard to find ingredients and hard to pay prices!!! lol I just made a hummus today that had only 4 ingredients and was superb! A post will be coming soon!

95 Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove August 18, 2011

Do you used the nutritional yeast with B12 or without? I’m not even sure if there’s a difference in taste, but I was just curious. This looks wonderful and I can’t wait to try it (those Amy macaroni & cheeses (okay, cheeze…) get expensive!

96 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 18, 2011

I believe mine has b12 in it

97 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 18, 2011

“This is the Lexus of all the cheeze sauces I’ve made to date. It’s extremely smooth, buttery, and comforting!”–

Sounds perfect! I always love a good vegan cheeze sauce. And a good luxury automobile too :)

Recipes using less than 5 or 7 ingredients and vegan? That would be 95% of all the recipes on my blog. Well, some are vegetarian not vegan, but the ingredient list thing is a big deal for me b/c I am instantly turned off by recipes that have long lists.

Or have hard to source items.

Or use that do things like use ” a pinch of saffron” ..I mean I’m sure it’s lovely but I don’t want to buy a $20 jar of saffron to use one strand, one time, and then have $19 of it laying around.

My goal, and I wrote this in the guest post I did for you, is to cook for my family (and show readers) that you dont have to have complicated, long, labor-intensive recipes in order to make awesome tasting food.

Love that you’re doing this challenge!

98 Jackie @ That Deep Breath August 18, 2011

You’ve definitely convinced me to try this. Yum!! I can’t wait to try this in baked mac & cheeze!

99 Brenda Fisher August 18, 2011

My biggest hurdle is having the ingredients handy in the pantry. Right now the pantry is over flowing with all the kids mac n cheese and star pasta, it has been a slow process to turn them over to eating what I eat. I just ordered Peas and Thankyou and hope this helps. I am also looking forward to when you put out your own cookbook. :)

100 Kim August 18, 2011

I made this sauce about 5 minutes after I read the recipe. It’s the easiest, tastiest sauce and the closest thing to real cheese I’ve tasted since I stopped dairy. I am over the moon. Thank you so much!

101 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 18, 2011

Wow that’s amazing!!! Thank you so much for your feedback. It’s great to know that others enjoy it as much as I do (I never know!)

102 Sarah @ Sarah's Modern Bites August 18, 2011

I am so glad you posted this because I JUST bought a bag of nutritional yeast yesterday with the intention of making some kind of ‘cheezy’ pasta tonight! I was nervous I was going to spend too much time sifting through recipes to find a tried and true easy one but this will do the trick I am sure! Your 15 minute avocado ‘cream’ sauce was a big hit at my place! :-D

103 Running Betty August 18, 2011

My biggest challenge is a husband who doesn’t like fruit, or the texture of vegetables in his food, and a picky eating 13 year old. I don’t want to have to cook multiple dinners.

104 Alysha @ She's on the Run August 18, 2011

Pie dough! Bread dough…actually most dough that you either have to roll out or add yeast to.

105 Nicole @ PancakesandPilates August 18, 2011

As usual, these pictures are gorgeous. I’ve been trying to eat less pasta recently (because I’m pretty sedentary at work), but I have to try this. Maybe this Sunday for dinner if work cooperates :) I’m sure it will become a mainstay Sunday night dinner this fall. Just think of all the mix ins!

106 Coco August 18, 2011

Oh I really want to eat some Mac n Cheez now. I do find it annoying when ingredient lists are too extensive, especially for cooking meals during the week. I also find it frustrating when I need to buy a random ingredient which I know I will not use again for ages and probably have to throw out. It feels such a waste!

107 Moni'sMeals August 18, 2011

I think just about all of us will be making this sauce today! I know I will. I will just be adding some heat to it, I like it hot!

I think time is my biggest issue however I make it a priority to eat right and plan ahead so I make it work out some how.

How about a gorcery store that carries EVERYTHING you need in one, now that would be amazing. :)

108 Leia August 18, 2011

Hard to find ingredients is my biggest problem, especially since I live in South Asia! I just ordered a tub of n yeast online so hopefully I’ll be able to try this soon. Can’t wait to see tomorrow’s pizza recipe!

109 Emily August 18, 2011

I’m excited that you’re doing this challenge! Right now, I live in a tiny apartment with few kitchen tools and a tiny food processor–simple techniques, minimal gadgets, and few ingredients sound wonderful.

110 Heather @ Get Haalthy with Heather August 18, 2011

The less ingredients usually means it’s going to be less expensive too! Now… If my cat hadnt found and ripped open my bag of nutritional yeast I’d be making this tonight. It’ll have to wait for the weekend :).

How about a 7 ingredient lasagna? I know you can do it!

111 Laura Ann August 18, 2011

Do u think this would be good with rice milk? I just cant get into the taste of almond milk.

112 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 18, 2011

i havent had rice milk much but I cant see why not!

113 Jacqui August 18, 2011

You know one of my biggest hurdles with cooking? Cleaning up afterwards! I swear I can’t see an inch of my bench top after cooking some meals, so I like recipes that are one-bowl-wonders and the like :)
The sauce looks great by the way, I’ve made your other cheese sauce and thought that was great – now I’m pretty tempted to see how this compares!

114 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn August 18, 2011

Quick and dirty is mahhh middle name! In a non-dirty way of course. Wooo cheessy!

115 DessertForTwo August 18, 2011

Do you store your nutritional yeast in the fridge or freezer? I have mine in a mason jar in the cabinet and I’m worried it’s gone bad. Help :/

116 Ellie@fitforthesoul August 18, 2011

Hi! Hmm I believe you’re supposed to freeze it! It still remains the same, but it definitely keeps it good for a long long time.

117 Paula August 18, 2011

I just saw you in GLOW magazine!!! I was sooo excited….I saw your picture and said to mayself, “hey I know her”….. I read your blog everyday I feel like I know you!!! Most of my recipes come from your blog! Thanks for making my life as a vegan so much easier and more exciting!! YAY!

118 ps August 18, 2011

This recipe rocks I’ve been making this mock cheese sauce for years.

Try adding a clove crushed garlic to the “Earth balance” (I just use margarine or olive oil) and 1/4 of a teaspoon of mustard near the end. Sounds weird but it is delicious.

119 Robin August 18, 2011

My biggest challenge is living with someone who doesn’t like vegetables! But I survive-more for me!

You can find some great short recipes on “The Vegan Stoner” blog. Plus the sketches are adorable!

120 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 18, 2011

When I saw the title for this post I groaned because I figured it would have cashews in it. So I was super excited to see that it doesn’t! I will definitely be making this! :D

121 Lee August 18, 2011

Something that takes forever to prepare always turns me off. I’d definitely like something that can be completely done in 15-20 minutes.

122 Kristin August 18, 2011

I have two big challenges: One is that I currently live in an old apartment where the oven is, in a word, jankity. Since I love baking, the oven and I have had a lot of fights. The second is that I have trouble being as creative in my cooking as I am in my baking. Baking is such a fun science experiment for me! Cooking on the other hand is something that I have trouble deviating from tried and true recipes.

One thing that I am horrible at making is crepes! I’ve basically failed every time I’ve tried – but rest assured that never stops me! I would love to see a crepes recipe with the “Glow” twist that makes cooking delicious and enjoyable!

123 Rach August 18, 2011

My biggest cooking hurdle is CLEAN UP! I have two small children, and after taking the time and energy to assemble ingredients, cook them up, and serve it all, it’s such a CHORE clean up everything!!

124 Jennifer August 18, 2011

Hi Angela,

Tonight I discovered the absolutely best substitute for whipped cream – HANDS DOWN! I took a can of coconut milk and put it in the fridge for a while, then scooped the thick white cream that separates from the watery part into a dish, whipped it with an electric whisk! Fantastic consistency. My husband isn’t a fan of coconut flavour, even though it is VERY subtle, so I melted some dark chocolate and stirred it in to the whipped coconut cream. A huge dollop on top of rasberries and I was in heaven. I think it’s actually better than real whipped cream :)

125 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 18, 2011

Ive heard this and tried it once but I failed…I wonder what I did wrong? it melted on me…

126 Jennifer in Newfoundland August 19, 2011

I think having kept the can in the fridge for a long while helped…and the melted chocolate is optional. I think it would be just fine without :)

127 Jennifer in Newfoundland August 19, 2011

I also didn’t put much chocolate in it,which may have helped….and used full super-duper fat coconut milk….

128 Victoria @ The Pursuit of Hippieness August 18, 2011

That pizza looks so good! Can’t wait for the recipe!!!

129 Katie August 18, 2011

I’ve got a recipe I am posting tomorrow for a quick n dirty corn relish. Super fast, super easy, super tasty.

I’ve also found that zucchini works in place of butternut squash with nutritional yeast cheeze-type sauces. I have found lots of creative zucchini recipes since my garden is going OFF.

130 Caz August 18, 2011

Mine is hard-to-find ingredients. I LOVE to cook. I also read a lot of food blogs, most of which are NA based. Alas, a lot of the products you have there, particularly on the health/natural/vegan/gluten-free etc side of things don’t exist here. Either we don’t import them, don’t produce them here, or have yet to realise there’s a market for them. Australia’s still a bit old-school-English in it’s meat and potatoes diet and things like whole wheat options in cafe’s etc. are never going to happen.

131 Shara August 18, 2011

I just made this for dinner tonight – loved it! I’m not vegan, but I avoid dairy and have been looking for a solid cheeze recipe for mac n cheese. The texture was great! I served it over shells and some chunks of tofu with sauteed veggies on the side. I would definitely consider adding some spices (mustard powder or chili powder come to mind) to mix it up, but this will be entering our regular menu rotation.

My biggest cooking challenge is that I’m allergic to garlic (I know, it’s awful). I’ve gotten pretty good at tweaking recipes, but it’s a real obstacle for daily cooking. Thankfully, shallots and some creative spicing help.

132 kaila@ Healthy Helper blog! August 18, 2011

Mmmmm diiiirty cheeeese! That sounds delicious!

133 Rachel August 18, 2011

Made this for dinner and I loooved it. I didn’t have Earth Balance so I used 4 TB of Canola Oil and it tasted amazing. So creamy and delicious. A little nutty, I think I didn’t cook the flour enough or overcooked it, but whatever…it was amazing. Thank you, Angela! I have tried SO many mac and cheese recipes, all good, but this sauce is so realistic in texture and taste…and only FIVE ingredients. insane. I can see myself using this plain but also having fun adding other things like rotel to it.

134 Kiah August 18, 2011

I was just taught a similar cheese sauce recipe, and use it all the time! YUM.

135 Living, Learning, Eating August 19, 2011

Ingredients, tools, and courage are my biggest hurdles. I keep wanting to try Nooch recipes, though, and I’ve finally bought some Nooch. So I hope I get to it soon!

136 Marianne August 19, 2011

I would say my current recipe hurdle is recipes that required either a blender or food processor, because I currently have neither, and being a student again means they just aren’t in the budget. I refuse to buy a cheap kitchen appliance that I will just have to replace again in a year or two, so instead I suffer not being able to even make smoothies anymore! Le sigh.

137 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes August 19, 2011

This looks delcious!

138 Emily August 19, 2011

I have made this sauce before and really like it with a few drops of sesame oil. And after seeing that pizza I bet it would make an excellent pizza sauce maybe with some garlic in it! ohhh yummmm!

139 Lorena August 19, 2011

My hurdle is the ingredients I’m not a vegan I just love helthy food. I do believe I may have a gluten issue but I have not confirm this I just try to eat healthy and I know this are awesome recepies. Which I can make all of them but there so many ingredients I have never heard of and,or I defanaly I do not have them in my cover. I which I can just get a few items and make diferent recepies and then just add one or two more items and so on.

140 Ashley August 19, 2011

I just tried your quick alfreo and am in love. That is one dish I really miss but I actually liked your version better than the actual cheese alfredo! I am not sure if this counts as a quick and dirty recipe but I tried it for the first time the other day and am adding it to my favorites. Peaches and cream chia pudding, peaches are abundant right now so I wanted to take advantage of them! 3 Tbsp of chia seeds, 3/4 to 1 cup of almond milk and two drops of liquid stevia (optional). Let the chia seeds absorb the milk then I diced up half a peach and added it in. So delicious!

141 Michaela August 19, 2011

I love this recipe and I will make it tomorrow.
Just one question, why do you not prepare this sauce like a regular roux?
I am sometimes put off by veggie burger recipes. Although I make them quite often myself, I never follow a recipe, as the mostly long ingredient lists just make me want to add to the dough whatever I have on hand!

142 Lexi @ A Spoonful of Sunshine August 19, 2011

Expensive ingredients!!

I love chia seeds, nutritional yeast, larabars, etc, but they can pretty unfriendly to the ‘ole wallet. Worth it, but still :)

143 michelle August 19, 2011

I’m making this sauce tonight! I tend to shy away from recipes that have too many steps. I know lasagna is easy to make but I find it a pain in the butt.

144 Jen August 20, 2011

My trouble spot always comes with asian dishes – LOVE them, but so many steps!

145 julie August 20, 2011

I just made this and I AM DYING! this is better than even IKEA mac and cheese!
I used:
-arrowroot for the flour
-powdered soy milk and water for the milk (i think gave even more creamy consistency)
-olive oil for the earth balance
-and smothered some gluten free pasta with it!
Turned out incredibly and so easy! I’ll definitely be making this again soon!

146 Sydney August 20, 2011

I just made this and its the best cheezy sauce I’ve had yet, thank you thank you thank you!

147 brenda ware jones August 21, 2011

Utterly divine. Thank you!

148 Sarah August 21, 2011

OH.MY.GOODNESS. SO amazing!!! I am seriously spooning it out of the pot!

149 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 21, 2011

haha I did too! :)

150 Jess August 22, 2011

Your 5 ingredient sauce was amazing! I made it for Mac and Cheese today and my 3 year old had two bowls!!! LOVED IT! Thank you for not only sharing amazing recipes, but also easy and super yummy recipes!!

151 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) August 24, 2011

I am so glad you posted this quick and easy cheeze sauce recipe. I have been looking for easy recipes to make when I am busy with full-time work and school this fall, and this has just been added to the list :-)

152 Gypsy August 29, 2011

I finally bought nutritional yeast and am ready to make that cheeze sauce!! :)

153 Max@flavortogofast September 1, 2011

tempting to try with coconut flour…

154 Alex S September 3, 2011

My biggest cooking/baking hurdle is kind of tied between not knowing how. I can read a recipe but sometimes I can’t follow it because I’ve never really learned to cook so I don’t know what a lot of the words mean (and if I ask my sister what more than four or so means she takes over and does it for me).
That’s tied with hard to find ingredients. Except my hard to find ingredients are not so hard to find for a lot of people. I live in a small town that is really tough on vegetarians, let alone vegans. We have small health food store that sells some of the stuff (but only in really small amounts, like they seriously only seem to get Vegannaise in three jars a time) and the international aisle at the local Walmart that has stuff like miso but other than that you’re mostly out of luck. Actually there is a Trader Joes in another town near here. Near, that is, if you define near as two and half hours by highway away.

155 KT @ VegBergers September 7, 2011

I finally made this sauce, and paired it with macaroni noodles (garnished with fresh ground pepper, paprika, and the last of my summer tomatoes on top) !! It was so delicious. Vegan mac and cheese is my favorite comfort food, and having this easy go-to sauce means I will be eating it all the time now! Thank you so much!

156 Kathryn October 10, 2011

I made this sauce for the first time last night and used it with penne rice noodles, steamed collards, sauteed onion and smoked tempeh all put into a bowl with the cheeze sauce on top. FANTASTIC!! The BF loved it. I’ll be making it A LOT in the future!

157 Fiona May 13, 2012

This recipe rocks! I added 1/4 tsp chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and put it over black beans and diced zucchini and red pepper. Repeat worthy! Thank you!

158 Hannah June 24, 2012

I can’t wait to make this! i only have sweetened almond milk so I hope it turns out alright! :D

159 Hannah June 24, 2012

I didn’t have onion or garlic powder to hand so used a veg stock cube instead, came out perfect!!! Thanks so much! So quick and easy! :)

160 Becca C July 4, 2012

Hi! Do you think soy milk would work in place of the almond milk? I have nut allergies.

161 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 4, 2012

I cant see why not :)

162 Becca C July 11, 2012

The Soy milk was a success. This sauce is really yummy!

163 Sheena August 13, 2012

I am gonna make this in a few weeks. I have not made any sauce with cashews and was dread the idea of doing it. I want something easy and this sounds perfect. I am new to vegan so I am looking stuff up like crazy. If the didn’t have vegan dairy stuff i am not sure what i would have done.

164 Sheena August 15, 2012

Can I make this in the mirowave or do I have to do it in a pot on the stove? I bought all the stuff today and am gona make it either way I was just wondering and I am excited thats its simple and no food processer and I plan on putting it on spagetti squash. Please get back to me soon. I will then follow up with what I think after I eat it.

165 Tania September 11, 2012

Just made the ‘cheese’ sauce, used olive oil instead of the “butter” was really yummy. Thank you!

166 Natasha October 7, 2012

This sauce is delicious. My biggest cooking hurdle is not being able to find special ingredients. I live in South Africa in a smallish town. So some ingredients I can’t find at all and some I can only find in speciality shops in bigger towns. But there are more and more things available and more shops selling health food online.

167 Malorie October 17, 2012

MMMMMmmmmm!!! I just made this on a whim and it is delicious I am eating it right now on top of a huge bowl of white rice and broccoli! :)

168 Radhika Sarohia October 23, 2012

Yea this is awesome sauce, very cheezy!:)
Made it today for my low-carb vegan lunch dish (spaghetti squash masquerading as angel hair pasta hehe)

169 Annabelle October 30, 2012

Oh my god! This recipe is just amazing, truly delicious. I have one little question though… Would it work if I replace the butter by olive oil? Thanks!

170 Chelsea November 7, 2012

I replaced the almond milk and flour with almond milk yogurt and used this sauce for vegan scalloped potatoes. I’m pretty pleased with the result. Thanks for the recipe!

171 Mary November 12, 2012

Love the idea of the cheese sauce. I’m making the transition to vegan, not because of a philosophy, but because I’m a cancer survivor and want to eat a wholefood plant-based diet. Giving up meat and most dairy for wonderful vegetables, fruit, grains, etc….no problem, but cheese is really a hard one. I lived in the UK for 15 years and used to eat the full fat French cheese, some so strong, they would make your eyes water…ha, ha. So using things like this cheese sauce in dishes; also the vegan Parm cheese recipes look interesting, combining nutritional yeast with nuts in the food processor. I used to use a lot of Parm cheese. Any dieas?

172 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 12, 2012

Hi Mary, I just posted a almond parm recipe on a b’nut squash recipe. Here it is if you’d like to check it out: http://ohsheglows.com/2012/09/24/roasted-butternut-squash-with-kale-and-almond-pecan-parmesan/

173 Mary November 12, 2012

Thanks Angela. Sounds really great. I just happen to have most of these ingredients, so will try this tonight. Talk to you again soon.

174 Tim January 5, 2013

What is the shelf life of the cheese sauce. How long will it stay in the Fridge….can it be frozen for later?

175 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 5, 2013

it should last a few days in the fridge (make sure you whisk it well when reheating as it can clump). I dont know if it can be frozen. Goodluck!

176 Amy Brouillette January 23, 2013

This recipe is awesome, simple and cheap! The kitchen smells delicious when I make it. It is now a regular staple here: we use it on these nuggets (joythebaker.com/2012/10/broccoli-potato-nuggets/) and on pasta. I’ll have to try it on pizza too.

177 veganinthemiddleofnowhere February 2, 2013

Oh my goodness, this cheezy sauce is A-MAZ-ING! I modified the recipe some based on my likings and subbed extra virgin coconut oil for the Earth Balance. I added in some more garlic powder (I like garlic!), mild chili powder, a few dashes of low sodium soy sauce and a few sprinkles of smoked paprika. I made a double batch for a bake with green peas, salad savoy and brussels sprouts and it was yummy. Thanks for the great recipes all things vegan and all things cheezy!

178 Bri February 17, 2013

Love this! Just made gf vegan Mac and cheeze. I kindof improvised on the crunchy topping and baked it. Thanks!

179 Judy March 2, 2013

Hummmm tonight.. over cauliflower, or penne noodles..?? decisions, decisions.

180 SurlyCat March 29, 2013

This cheeze sauce has helped to curb my dairy cravings, and is so easy to make! Thank you for this recipe, it’s amazing. Bookmarked it for regular use.

181 Jenn May 17, 2013

So I just learned that I’m allergic to milk, eggs, wheat, and yeast. My absolute favorite meal has always been macaroni and cheese but with my newly found allergies, I cannot have this. I was so excited when I found that you could make an “uncheesy cheese” sauce but it seems that every recipe has yeast in it. Can you come up with a cheesy recipe with no cheese and no yeast? I would be forever grateful to get a version of my favorite meal!

182 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 18, 2013

Hi Jenn, Have you tried a cashew cheese sauce? They are quite cheesy tasting and you can often do without the nutritional yeast.

183 Macy May 21, 2013

This is really tasty and easy! The only thing is that both times I made it, it’s been very mustardy. I don’t know if the Dijon I’m using is really strong or if it’s supposed to be this way.

184 Sara June 4, 2013

Would arrowroot be ok instead of the flour?

185 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 5, 2013

Hi Sara, Im sorry I didn’t have great results when using arrowroot (it was a bit slimy in texture), but feel free to try it out if you’d like!

186 Kate July 20, 2013

I am just getting back into a healthy lifestyle after having my little one (1 1/2 yrs ago). I was looking for a “mac n cheese” alternative. I didn’t expect to have a cheesy taste but at least that thick, warm dish that my LO may be enticed to eat (over the awful mac n cheese sold in stores)

…perhaps I bought bad nutritional yeast as this just wasn’t palatable & smelled bad. Is there a different with flakes ( It’s all they offered at our little, local health food store)?

187 Stephanie July 23, 2013

So a bechamel sauce done backwards making it needlessly complicated? It’s easier to incorporate flour to soy/almond milk when flour mixture is hot.

So let butter melt in pot. Add flour and whisk it into the butter letting it bubble for a minute. Then pour in the milk, whisking and letting it thicken. And then add the rest of the ingredients (the flavorings for the bechamel).

188 Sharol July 24, 2013

This was a go! I added taco seasoning to it was a delicious sauce for my nachos. Thanks and be blessed!

189 Vero August 1, 2013

I made this sauce today, and found it was FABULOUS. I do eat cheese, but lately have fallen in love with nutritional yeast. I decided to experiment more with nutritional yeast recipes and came across this one. The texture was great, and the flavor was perfect. I added some paprika, which was about all it needed. Thanks for putting the recipe up!

190 Spirit Wolf August 5, 2013

Hi. This comment is also about nutritional yeast. In my case, I not only don’t use it, I don’t even *try* to find it. This is because I am allergic to ALL yeasts, including nutritional yeast. I search a wide variet of online source including books offline and advice from friends via email and so on; and as a result, I cannot credit this to the proper source. But my search produced a wonderful substitute for nutritional yeast that I make right here at home in my own little kitchen: dehydrated carrot flakes. I slice up a whole bunch of carrots trying to keep the slices an uniform thickness (hit and miss at best!), dehydrate them, and when they are *completely* dry, I grind them into powder or flakes (both are fine with me) in my trusty Magic Bullet, bottle, and store them in the spice cupboard with the rest of my seasonings. So far I’ve used them in making an almond cheddar cheese recipe and am VERY satisfied with the results. It tastes great! Give it a try, and I hope you will have as much success with it as I have. :)

191 Lori September 8, 2013

Just found this recently and made it yesterday. Very good and very forgiving! (I made a double recipe, misread & put 4 TABLESPOONS Dijon mustard in the double batch and it wasn’t ruined!)
Thanks!

192 Harleywolfe September 11, 2013

I love this and I am not really a fan of nutritional yeast, at all. Even my very happy meat eating boyfriend said he would eat the Mac and cheese I made useing this sauce. (Just some noodles and broccoli) in my book THAT’S a keeper. He hates my vegan food normally.

193 Katy @ Katy's Kitchen September 12, 2013

Just made this sauce and I added some curry powder – with field roast sausages. SO DELICIOUS especially because I didn’t have cashews. Thanks Angela!

194 Stephanie September 26, 2013

OMG OSG you are a genius. We began a one week vegan challenge 3 weeks ago and it has morphed into a one month vegan challenge. The challenge, it turns out, was not with the adults in the hose- we are convinced- but with the two teenagers in the home who claim veganism is boring. Boring!? I think this mackencheeze will be a winner for lunch today. Thanks!

195 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 27, 2013

Good luck with your challenge!! Glad I could help :)

196 SHERRY October 20, 2013

I am not a vegan, but my niece is. I am trying to be supportive and I have been practicing on some recipes for thanksgiving. I actually like this sauce. I put a little extra onion in it (my preference.) I can see using it on multiple thing and as a dip. I can’t wait to surprise her on Thanksgiving.

197 Ad Lib November 4, 2013

DELICIOUS! I bought nutritional yeast on a whim, and while trying to figure out where to use it, found your sauce. It’s perfect. I’m not even Vegan and I love cheese. But I will absolutely use this sauce.

I really like colour, so to boost the yellow in the sauce I added a 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder. It ramps up the yellow and when I used the sauce in a Mac & “Cheeze” recipe I served next to a mixed greens, beet, and cashew salad. It was so bright and colourful–delicious and attractive.

198 Gabrielle November 13, 2013

I love your recipe. Thank you so much for sharing. My favorite variation (so far) is adding sun-dried tomatoes as well as, sautéed mushrooms, onions and spinach. Absolutely delicious!

199 Hilary November 27, 2013

Many thanks. The Quick and Dirty Vegan Cheeze Sauce is exactly what I’ve been looking for. I didn’t have any dijon so it was left out and still fabulous. I am newly dairy free and was so missing “the sauce”. You nailed it.

200 Georgia December 5, 2013

I just made this sauce to go on macaroni and it’s SO GOOD!

201 Diane December 18, 2013

I make this without the earths best and it is still delicious! Thank you! I have been vegan for a couple of months and I have really enjoyed your recipes.

202 robyn grunerud December 23, 2013

Is there anything I could sub in instead of earth balance? They were just bought out by a huge corporation, And they’ve really lowered the quality… I’m thinking coconut oil or do you think the flavor would be too overpowering?

203 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 24, 2013

Hey Robyn,

You might be able to use oil (maybe olive oil), but I haven’t tried it. I wouldn’t use virgin coconut oil because of the flavour (unless you used refined coconut oil which doesn’t have a coconut flavour). Hope this helps! let me know how it goes.

204 Kelly January 20, 2014

I cannot believe how good this is. This is my first ever vegan home cooked meal and it will not be my last. Amazing stuff! Thanks so much.

205 Kristen January 22, 2014

Thank you so much for this! I just tried it out right now and it tastes wonderful. :)

My biggest hurdle is two-fold: 1. I’m just starting to branch into cooking things that aren’t the very basics (i.e. boil pasta + add jarred sauce = dinner). 2. I’m a new vegan! That one is especially hard, since I’m still keenly aware of my nostalgia for the taste and texture of creamy/cheesy things. Most vegan alternatives I’ve found so far are unsatisfying at best, or taste bad.

This sauce was a pleasant surprise. Will be coming back to it lots in the future!

206 Bianca January 29, 2014

Love it! I know where I can buy cheap, tasty vegan creamy cheeses, but because I am allergic to corn I can’t have most of them. This recipe is great because it is so easy to make, tastes awesome and isn’t plotting to kill me.

For a slightly different taste, try adding cumin and/or nutmeg. Just a small amount. I think other spices might go well too, with experimenting.

Thanks for sharing!

207 Trish February 4, 2014

Hi,
I love this sauce! I was wondering if you’ve ever frozen it and had it again later?

208 Bonnie February 27, 2014

Do you think this cheese sauce would keep in a jar in the fridge or freezer?

209 Nicole March 18, 2014

What was the original 5-ingredient recipe? I can’t seem to find it…

210 Mrs. Martin March 19, 2014

Just tried this cheeze sauce and it is LOVELY!!! I don’t like the greasy feeling of Daiya, so this is a wonderful solution. When I added cooked mushrooms and macaroni to the sauce, it tasted almost exactly like a pre-vegan comfort food I enjoyed…now I have my mac n’ cheeze back! Thank you!

211 Tim April 16, 2014

Add 1 tsp. corn starch and it will thicken more quickly.

212 Colleen April 17, 2014

Looks so delicious! Can’t wait to try it and sneak it in with dinner – maybe I can slowly convert my husband :)

213 Kassandra April 23, 2014

So I have tried the nutritional yeast cheese sauce and man ‘n cheese from other websites and have been very disappointed. I am new to nutritional yeast and it is definitely a strong flavor. But I am lactose intolerant and motivated to make this work. So today for lunch I decided I wanted mac ‘n cheese and set out to find one. Last time I made it I decided there is no way there could be a good mac ‘n cheese recipe without some sort of milk (almond) and butter (non-dairy). So I found your recipe on pinterest and was so pleased with the results. This is going to be my go-to mac ‘n cheese from now on, thank you soo much. Oh and a note for anyone else new to nutritional yeast, I decided to use a little less than recommended until I get used to the flavor ;-)

214 Jenn May 3, 2014

I used this 5 ingredient cheeze sauce in some vegetable strudels I made tonight. It worked out really well! :)

215 Liz May 6, 2014

Made this tonight, it was delicious! Hands down the best “cheese” sauce I’ve tried. For those looking for GF, I used tapioca starch/flour and it came out great (though I barely had to cook it past the point of putting it in, as it thickens quickly.) Thank you!

216 Shasta May 12, 2014

Hi there, just wanted to say, I liked this post. It was helpful.
Keep on posting!

217 Melissa June 11, 2014

Wow is this sauce awesome!! We used it to make vegan nachos and even my picky and recently veg husband agreed it is the best!! Can’t wait to try it on broccoli and over noodles for a quick Mac n cheez. The best part is it is made with pantry staples. Thank you so much and congratulations and best wishes to you!!!

218 Lindsay July 1, 2014

Can this sauce be frozen?

219 Me July 26, 2014

I love this recipe! I made it and my friends and family loved it even without the Dijon. Thx!

220 Karen Griffee July 30, 2014

After looking at a number of other cheese recipes, it seems that OTHER PEOPLE indicate nutritional yeast FLAKES!; I didnt know I would have to research OTHER sites. Anyway, it was a huge waste

221 Carissa August 20, 2014

I really love this sauce. I used it to make chili-mac and also put some green chilis and tomatoes in it for queso dip. Awesome recipe! My husband never thought he’d be dipping chips in queso again!

222 Jess September 11, 2014

I made this last night, but doubled the milk, flour, onion and garlic powders and butter, used only 4tbsp national yeast and barely a smidgen of mustard, mixed it into cooked rigatoni pasta, topped with crunchy breadcrumbs and baked. It was INDISTINGUISHABLE from real mac n cheese. Absolutely amazing, I had 3rds. This will be a staple in my house!

223 Kelly October 9, 2014

Hi Angela,
Id like to make a broccoli and cauliflower casserole for thanksgiving this weekend. Do you think this sauce would work baked? Also, I dont use veggie butters and avoid oils. Can I omit it? Thanks!
k

224 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 10, 2014

Hi Kelly, I haven’t tried baking with it yet but great idea. Please let me know if you try it out. I can’t see why not. Maybe there is a way you can test a small batch first?

225 Ross October 22, 2014

This is a lovely sauce. In my hurry to get the ingredients, I accidentally picked up sweetened Almond milk. Saved it with some Aminos which I’ll probably add again next time, but perhaps with the unsweetened. Lovely taste. Thanks for the recipe. So quick an easy. Great stuff.

226 Amit November 14, 2014

I’ve been happy eating vegan for two years, but this sauce just makes everything amazing! I make it at least once a week. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

227 Tina November 19, 2014

This is great. My daughter and bf both liked it. A few nights after we tried this cheese sauce I tried out another vegan cheese sauce with a cauliflower base. Your recipe won hands down. Thanks!

228 Sen December 8, 2014

Would like to know how it would taste without mustard, my husband does not like mustard.

229 Julia January 3, 2015

I almost always make this without the mustard and it still tastes just as good. :)

230 Michelle S December 11, 2014

Just curious, but is there any reason why you mix the flour with the almond milk instead of whisking it with the melting butter for a roux?

(Apologies if you already answered–I read a good sample but definitely not all the comments.)

231 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 12, 2014

I think either would work fine, whichever you prefer :)

232 Amber December 15, 2014

I love this sauce. I recently came up with a vegan hamburger helper recipe and I use this sauce in it. So good. Feel free to check out the recipe @ http://www.makeallergiesyourbitch.wordpress.com

233 Kat December 19, 2014

This sauce tastes great!
I’m not a vegan, so did it with a regular milk and olive oil instead that one weird ingredient. Came out just prefect, cheesy and creamy.

234 Julia January 3, 2015

So, on a whim I added 1/2 tsp of turmeric to this recipe and it really brightens the rich color of this sauce to a warm yellow! Plus, you get the added anti-inflammatory health benefits of turmeric.

235 Dawn January 6, 2015

Try this for quick sweet tooth. Moisten a packet of instant natural flavored oatmeal with 2 tbl spoons of water and mix in vegan chocolate chips. Spray pan with a coconut oil and brown on each side. Top with Agave. Ive had 2 today. Good alternative for Breakfast too. How do I follow youbon Facebook?

236 Brittany January 19, 2015

So excited to try this!
The only hurdle I find extremely challenging is living in such a small farm town. Not many people that live here keep an open mind to different diets, and things like Earth Balance just don’t sell in a regular grocery store. Sometimes finding ingredients that are vegan friendly is impossible!

237 Ali March 27, 2015

This literally took me less than 10 mins to prepare and cook. And it tasted AMAZING! I think the addition of Dijon mustard is genius – I wouldn’t have thought of it, but I it took this to the next level!! AMAZING!! Best vegan cheese sauce I’ve ever tasted – hands down. Thanks so much Angela – you’re incredible!!

238 Noelle May 24, 2015

Thank you! I have recently been cutting out dairy and have been looking for a non dairy Mac n cheese option. Being an university student, the cost of all the different ingredients and time most vegan recipes require is quite daunting. This recipe was perfect! The mac n cheeze recipe was great, especially after adding some sautéed tomatoes! Yum!

239 Bethany June 3, 2015

Hi Angela, I have made this recipe the last 3 nights in a row – served on baked potato, then pasta, then fries :-) It is so delicious. I can’t thank you enough for providing what has been the first vegan cheese sauce I have found that really does taste like cheese! I’ve only been vegan since January 2015 and I was getting kinda desperate!

240 Karen June 15, 2015

This. Is. Amazing. The ‘stretchy’ quality is fascinating; I didn’t think it possible in vegan cooking. That your recipe falls well within your seven ingredient challenge by only containing five, I, very respectfully, recommend one more for its substantial impact-the tiniest pinch of nutmeg. It screams ‘creamy’, seeming to take your cheeze sauce a touch deeper into dairy dreams of past. Lmk if you feel the same!

241 Michelle June 23, 2015

What would be the best substitute for the vegan butter in this recipe? I live in Japan and we don’t have much vegan butter to go around. ^_^

242 Amanda June 28, 2015

LOVED this recipe! No strange ingredients, I had everything on hand it came together super quickly and worked well with a gluten free flour mix. It was also a hit with my spouse and toddler! Will definitely make again and again!

243 Angela July 27, 2015

My daughter just found out she has many food allergies, and it’s been rough. She’s missing cheese! She can’t do almonds, rice or soy either. Have you tried this with a different kind of milk, like coconut or flax?

244 lori September 1, 2015

you were asking what our biggest hurdle is… mine is no wheat! and thoughts

245 Hilly September 2, 2015

Hello!
I’m just trying you quick cheeze sauce for the first time and I thought I’d just let you know about my cheat!
I popped all the ingredients in my bullet, whizzed them up and then heated the sauce in a pan. It seems to have turned out well and ready to be poured over my greens when they are steamed.
I’ve been a veggie for over 30yrs and now I seem to be edging gradually towards a vegan diet, so this sauce will be a boon!
Your recipes are just fab.
Thank you.
Hilly (England)

246 Angela Smith September 7, 2015

I just made this sauce with some whole wheat macaroni noodles and it is soooo good! It was the first time I’d tried to make a vegan cheese-like sauce, and I’m really impressed. The only thing I did differently was that I used real butter (I didn’t have any vegan butter), and I added a little turmeric. Absolutely perfect flavor and so super-easy! Thank you so much for the recipe!

247 Emma September 10, 2015

Just made this and my cheese loving daughter ate it up with no complaints – delicious!! You are a genius.

248 Amanda October 4, 2015

My plan:

Bake some potatoes. Scoop out the flesh and put it in a bowl. Make your five ingredient cheese sauce (I’m also going to try it with your cashew cheese recipe another time too). Chop onions and add them to the bowl with most of the cheese sauce. Stuff potato jackets. Bake again. Sprinkle with remaining sauce, smoked paprika, and some green onions

249 Brandie November 6, 2015

You had me at Quick and Dirty ;) This sounds so good and easy! Thank you for sharing.

250 Romina December 7, 2015

I literally just made this for my hubby’s lunch, and it was so quick and easy to make, The ingredients were really simple I had them all in hand, and the consistency of the sauce was so perfect. It sure isn’t Mac and Cheese, but like you said, it’s just as good and comforting! Thank you for your recipe!

251 Mel January 5, 2016

Found this tonight, made it tonight. LOVE it! Simple, tasty, so awesome!

252 Jo January 11, 2016

WOW! I just made this and have to confess – I ate it all in one sitting! haha! I followed the directions/ingredients to a “T”, and then when the mixture was nice and thick, I added a few extra splashes of lemon juice and Frank’s Hot Sauce for an extra little kick. It was really fabulous! Thank you SO much for this recipe! It’s super-fast, super-easy, and super-yummo!
PS – your cookbook is awesome!

253 Jenn Hart January 12, 2016

This sauce was so so easy to make and really delish! it took a couple minutes to pull it together– while i waited for my water to boil and pasta to cook! Loaded up my bowl with a pile of fresh baby spinach, topped with hot pasta, and smothered with some of this sauce!! Hit the spot, and my cheezy comfort food craving!! I’ll definitely be making this again! Thank you!

254 Natalyn January 21, 2016

Oh my wow. This really is the Lexus of cheeze sauces!! Best I’ve tried. And it doesn’t leave you feeling all heavy and icky afterwards. This recipe is a keeper!!

255 Danielle March 14, 2016

This is, hands down, my favorite sauce on noodles. I could eat it every day. And might!!!

256 Angela Liddon March 17, 2016

Glad the recipe’s a hit, Danielle! :)

257 Alisha March 21, 2016

This is totally yummy! the family all liked it! I didn’t have enough nutritional yeast, so I added some basil, oregano, a tiny bit of parsley and extra garlic and onion powder to make it more flavorful. thanks for this recipe!

258 Angela Liddon March 22, 2016

Hi Alisha – so happy to hear the recipe was a hit!

259 Jessica March 30, 2016

Wondering if I can substitute grape seed oil for the butter?

260 Elaine April 28, 2016

I made this tonight and have to say it was not good at all. I’m trying to please a five year old that can’t have dairy. I used KAL brand nutritional yeast based on research about it being the best tasting. I don’t know if this sauce is supposed to taste like cheddar or not. It was creamy but I didn’t taste any cheese resemblance, my 5yr old took one bite and spit it out. I was so hoping this would save the mac & cheese delema! Have any suggestions?

261 Karen June 11, 2016

Thank you so very much for this. I avoid nuts, and many other vegan cheese mixes use nut milks. I’ve tried rice milk and it was just too sweet. I made this recipe last night and have already finished off the batch, using it as a tortilla chip dip.

FYI – recipe can be made gluten free (apologies if someone else addressed this, there are lots of comments): I replaced the flour with potato flour. Just add half of what you would use if you were using wheat flour. I’m guessing you can use any alternative flour, but I thought potato would make it more savory. I haven’t made it a second time, though, so I have no comparison. Thanks again!

262 Angela Liddon June 13, 2016

Hi Karen, thank you so much for sharing those substitutions! It’s great to know they worked out well for you. :)

263 Katie July 2, 2016

just tried this…. it’s pretty damn amazing. I love how simple it is to make, as I absolutely despise spending so long just trying to make any vegan cheese sauce. I also added about a teaspoon and a half of lemon juice! I would definitely try adding it, it adds so much to the recipe

264 Briana September 13, 2016

New to Veganism. New to having to cook for self. This was a great recipe! Loved the consistency, color, the taste was not at all offensive actually quite good. I was not expecting a cheese taste but yet a yummy pasta dish so I was not at all disappointed, but pleasantly enthused. To be honest I had tried Nutritional Yeast in the past and was not a fan. I was hesitant about that as the main ingredient in the cheese sauce.

It was amazing all together. Will be making it again. It was especially nice because it is something soft enough to eat after wisdom teeth removal and filling enough to feel satiated.

Thank You! Keep it up!